GypsyGillian Hello from New Member - Ex Prozac Girl

GypsyGillian

Hey ya'll

I'm new here (even though I joined a long time ago, but for some reason didn't stick around.  (life happens)

I have a crazy story, who doesn't?

Was prescribed prozac for ADD.  Gave me anxiety like mad, became an alcoholic. 

Quit cold turkey, developed agora phobia and entire year of darkness and sabatoged all my friendships

could not function on a social level and was gripped with fear / anxiety

but now it's been 3 years and have never gone back to any meds

anyone with a similar story?

I don't recommend cold turkey to anyone but I didn't know any better.  If anyone does go through with this, I would replace this with exercise and healthy eating, which i was not too keen on unfortunately

cheers

by the way, prozac DID NOT help my ADD.  It just gave me anxiety and impatience with my school work.  But many doctors push this drug when I requested Adderral, which today I have never experienced

Welcome 'gypsygillian' to SA.The agoraphobia probably was a withdrawal symptom from the prozac.Are you having any other withdrawal symptoms still ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

Welcome to the forum. I sorry to hear about your bad experience with Prozac and hope things are getting better for you.

Lexapro four times in the last ten years. Each time 6 month use. Two week taper.

Lexapro 20mg August 2014 until Feb 28 2015. Two week taper

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi GypseyGillian, welcome to SA. I agree that the agoraphobia would have been caused by withdrawal from prozac. It's great to see that you are doing well, have you recovered and free of drugs now?  We love it when people come to tall us that they are recovered, it gives people hope  :) .

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, GypsyGillian.

Yes, please tell us more about your symptoms and how you recovered from them.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...

Hey ya'll

I'm new here (even though I joined a long time ago, but for some reason didn't stick around.  (life happens)

I have a crazy story, who doesn't?

Was prescribed prozac for ADD.  Gave me anxiety like mad, became an alcoholic. 

Quit cold turkey, developed agora phobia and entire year of darkness and sabatoged all my friendships

could not function on a social level and was gripped with fear / anxiety

but now it's been 3 years and have never gone back to any meds

anyone with a similar story?

I don't recommend cold turkey to anyone but I didn't know any better.  If anyone does go through with this, I would replace this with exercise and healthy eating, which i was not too keen on unfortunately

cheers

HI, when you got off your Prozac, were you able to sleep normally? If not, how many months did it take before you were getting 6 hours of sleep a night or more? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me here.

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

On no medications as of Feb. 8, 2016

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less