SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hi, J1975 is about to begin tapering off Effexor XR 150 mg after 10+ years

j1975

Hi everyone, I have been researching the internet for a few days trying to learn about withdrawal from 10+ years being on Effexor XR 150 mg. I have been thinking about going off Effexor since April 2011 when I made drastic life changes in my diet. I have become accustomed to my newer nutritional lifestyle for the last 90 days and have lost 15+ lbs. I plan to lose 50 lbs by April 2012. I have an appointment with my doctor on 8/8/11, this coming Monday. I want to discuss getting off Effexor and several of my other prescriptions that I have taken for the last 5 to 10+ years. I think I can be successful and this site seems like a good place for support! I am exercising more and plan to walk or swim MORE as I step into this tapering off experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi J1975. Welcome to Surviving.

Take a look at the Tapering forum to get an idea of what we recommend for getting off psych drugs. Slow, small increments seems to work better and cause fewer problems for people.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Administrator

Hello, J. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

You've probably seen the topic Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

The good news about Effexor XR is that you can open up the capsules and control your taper by counting out the granules.

There's a video in that topic that explains how to do this.

We recommend a 10% reduction to start, a very cautious step, because Effexor withdrawal can be difficult.

What dosage are you on?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hey! That's awesome!!! It will be a month free for me on Saturday. I have also been on meds for over ten years, close to 15 actually. I started seeing a therapist and going to acupuncture prior to beginning my 2 or 3 month taper. I'm hoping it will all pay off and I will have success with the discontinuation. It's scary reading some of the experiences of other people but I have my fingers crossed. Best of luck to you.

Extreme fear of death since I can remember/ severe anxiety as a child/ first panic at 10 which lasted about two months and reoccurred three years later and again four years later with each episode lasting months/ started paxil in 1997, switched to zoloft around 2002 then to effexor in 2004 for a month then to lexapro which I remained on until three weeks ago. Last dose taken three weeks ago. Just beginning to experience reoccurring anxiety , OCD and depression.P