A hypothesis for people suffering from emotional blunting and pssd

Offeverything27

Since this is the most viewed topic, I'll give my opinions here, hoping for a quick response.

I studied a lot about emotions and where they originate. I've found that Emotions originate in the Gut (intestines) and travel north via the Vegus nerve, through the heart to the brain, expressing emotional well being.

I have a hypothesis, that our problem that we face, doesn't have to do with the brain, but rather our intestinal health. I'm not sure the psych field would recognize this as being true, but it wouldn't hurt, in our given situation to be a little open minded.

When I first took Effexor, I felt something shut off in my gut, where my anxiety originated, and where my feelings and emotions were originated. I always had gut feelings towards things, like expression, or swing a naked women. It always started in my gut before I could process it.

Is it possible, that some people react negatively to these medications and these chemicals that calm our 'gut' or emotions leaving us emotionally blunted, actually in some cases get trapped in our gut?

My mother suffered from Crons disease most of my childhood, and suffered from Major depression. Not that kind of depression where you cry, but the kind of depression that originated in her gut.

The psych field doesn't exactly recognize use the correlation between frogs disease and depression as a symptom of the actual physical disability, rather suggesting it's a result of the strain on the body and mind, or from all the stress involved in such a disease.

My mother changed her diet and began pro biopics, which allowed her body to absorb vitamins and nutrients properly, and for a few years she was a different person. She wasn't cold hearted and dark. She changed

If I haven't seen her go through this, I never would have made this connection

I'm comply suggesting that maybe many of our problems have to do with investing many pills over many years, leaving our guts vulnerable to absorbing nutrients possible.

Sometimes, I get a rush of feelings in my stomach And instantly I make connections in my head. It's difficult to describe, but I'm sure many can relate

Ever since I remember, I always felt anxiety in my stomach, and it made me want to puke. Days after taking Effexor I felt a switch being **** off from my heart down, leaving me emotionless.

Maybe, if we have open minds, assuming that the psych field doesn't know are they're talking about, Maybe, just maybe, we can pave way for the next generation, preventing people from going through mental torment, or lack there of

Weaned off Effexor XR 75mg after one year of use

I'm experiencing the most debilitating symptoms ever imaginable

-pssd

-Emotional Numbness

Last dose was in august '15 after  weaning off for 6 months

Yes. I would fully agree. And - I like/appreciate how you differentiate between "crying" depression and the depression that originates in the gut. Personally, I believe that this theory is THE theory that will make the difference for most people who have been labeled not only "depressed" but labeled in general. I do believe that the gut can influence not only depression but anger, anxiety and what is called "psychosis". I know that once I got off all the drugs that things didn't really start improving for me until I worked on my gut and diet. 

Somewhere I read that anti depressants are really anti histamine so they block histamine reactions and inflammation….couldn't tell you where I saw that though. 

But yes; I believe your theory is spot on and the psych field is so far off base they aren't even anywhere near getting it right. This change is going to come from those of us who have figured this out and then done what we can to find ways to share the message. 

Great topic; thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Interesting.  Hypothetically.  Anecdotally.

My anxiety still resides in my gut.  But some of it has just got to be the autonomic nervous system hullabalouski.  It goes from gut to spine to head..........with a definite stop off in the heart.  I don't know......maybe that's the depressive feelings too.  Sometimes it is completely without any conscious feeling really........if I don't attend to it then it gets conscious...........hmmmm........possibly.

I read something about the heart and sexual dysfunction in general........ somewhere, in a book too.  So maybe however you can maximize heart function.......the better.   I don't know.  Lot's of homeopathic stuff to try too.........mini, mini, extra mini doses........

Probiotics do seem helpful and absorbed and all that.  And I really have to push Tazo teas and movement type stuff and water........I mean drink it........tons.........and soak in it and swim and dance it it...........okay........way off, off topic, in off topic here.

Do you guys have your stories posted somewhere here or elsewhere?  It helps some of us with trust issues still abounding.  It's just so weird the number of silent readers here sometimes.........as long as they are decent folks..........it's okay..............and I never miss a chance to push Tazo tea when it feels healing to me.  Wild sweet orange is great!  Your welcome......Tazo tea makers.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing