SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Vote now: Austrian scientific research organisation is looking for patient input on their research

Laura1981

Click on the little American flag on the right side to view the page in English:

https://teilnehmen.redensiemit.org/index.php?controller=home

The Ludwig Boltzmann society is looking for patient input to guide their future research initiatives on mental health. You can vote on future areas of research. One potential area of research is psychotropic drugs.

I personally think the area of psychotropic drugs is in desperate need of independent and critical research. This could be our chance.

From their website: 

-------------------

NOW IS THE TIME TO MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD! — THE VOTING
As part of an unprecedented crowdsourcing project, the Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft has compiled possible questions for use in the investigation of mental illnesses. 

For those of you who have submitted a contribution - Thank you very much! You have significantly contributed towards generating new research questions in the field of mental illnesses! 7 topic clusters has been summarized and now you can vote. 

Now you can decide which of these will be forwarded to the research teams.
HERE'S HOW TO VOTE:
You must be registered and logged in to vote.(You can vote even if you have not submitted an article.)
From the almost 400 questions submitted, a pre-selection has been made around 7 clusters (topics). Select 2 of these clusters by 13 October, which you feel are most important and should be forwarded to the research teams.

Mental resilience
How can mental resistance (resilience) be strengthened in children and adults to keep them healthy even in situations of heavy strain?

More precise diagnoses
How can the diagnosis of mental illnesses be improved to prevent misdiagnoses?

Psychosomatics
How are the body and psyche connected? How does this relationship manifest itself in the case of mental illness?

Psychotropic drugs
How can the use of psychotropic drugs be improved?
Psychotropic drugs are an indispensable part of treatment during some stages of certain mental illnesses. Many people, however, take a critical view of psychotropic drugs - on account of their side effects and the risk of dependency. What is often missing is the right withdrawal strategy. Withdrawal symptoms, including panic attacks, insomnia and vomiting, make life difficult for the recovering patient - even long after the drugs have been discontinued. What helps in this phase?
Parents whose children have had psychotropic drugs prescribed to them are particularly anxious. Are psychotropic drugs prescribed carelessly?
Why have the effects of treatment with multiple medications not been investigated more thoroughly? Anyone taking antidepressants and neuroleptics simultaneously, for instance, must reckon with such interactions. How and at what point can patients discontinue treatment with psychotropic drugs?
Alternatives to treatment with psychotropic drugs are either not sufficiently available or lacking altogether. Yet the need is enormous!

New options in therapy
What new and alternative therapies can replace/supplement current treatment methods?

The structure of care
What structures does society need to create to ensure that the mentally ill receive the best support possible throughout their recovery process?

Destigmatisation of the mentally ill
What does it mean to be stigmatised to a person with a mental illness? How does the stigma affect the course of the disease?

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Just one addition:

The usability of the survey is a bit weird. After you register, you are logged in. You go to this page, click continue.

Then you will see the text "Here you see the voting up to now." and some check boxes. That's where you actually vote, even though it doesn't look like it. Check the checkbox and press submit. 

Done, you voted. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Thanks, Laura  :)

Registered & awaiting confirmation email so I can vote.

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

Hi Tilly,

thanks!!!

I didn't get a confirmation message... I could vote right away. Very strange usability... But I guess they will do better science than web-surveys. 

Cheers, 

Laura

Hi Tilly,

thanks!!!

I didn't get a confirmation message... I could vote right away. Very strange usability... But I guess they will do better science than web-surveys. 

Cheers, 

Laura

Here's hoping!!! ;) 

I will stop by the site again tomorrow if no confirmation is received by then. I couldn't click on the voting categories either time I tried without registering? Will try again tomorrow  :)

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

Did it work Tilly? If the website is broken, I'd write to the organisers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Up to today, the topic psychotropic drugs has the most votings. I would be happy, if anyone of you would vote. It is important, because there is less to none talking about harm of psychotropic drugs in german speaking areas. Danke! :)

• 3 weeks later...

The community of “Tell us!” has taken a decision: Psychotropic drugs, mental resilience and health care structures are the three most important issues for future research in the field of mental health.

Vienna, 21 October 2015 – After a successful contribution phase of the initiative “Tell us!”, which gained nearly 400 submissions from all over the world and pertained to the future research of mental illnesses, the community has now voted for the most important questions: The cluster psychotropic drugs got 22 per cent of all votes, followed by mental resilience with 19 per cent, and then the health care structure cluster, which gained 17 per cent of the vote.

In particular, participants voted for more research concerning treatment with psychotropic drugs. The research of alternative treatments, interactions and side effects, or long-term consequences, are fields which are considered as not adequately addressed by the research community.

Building on the online vote, an international jury of nine international experts will evaluate the results.

https://teilnehmen.redensiemit.org/index.php?controller=news

Hurray!!! This shows we can make a difference!