Twitter #medicatedandmighty - interesting turn of events

oskcajga

Hello Friends,

I wanted to bring to the attention of this community an interesting trend that has appeared in a twitter hashtag that was designed to promote people to post pictures of their prescription drugs, bottles, pills, etc.  Brace yourselves, some of the photographs may be triggering:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MedicatedAndMighty&src=typd

I thought it was relevant to this community, so I hope you find this twitter page to be of interest.

Cheers,

Osk

I think that ending the stigma is the first step, and then it will be just a matter of time that people realize that these medications are very far from being "worder drugs", as some people still think.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

I think we've been successful in helping to add to the conversation that is the psychiatric pride/ "anti-stigma campaign," #MedicatedandMighty. It's interesting that people perceive those of us who've voiced our perspectives and experiences with psych drugs as "shaming" and "stigmatizing" to their campaign. I read someone refer to our contributions as "forcing an agenda." I think I'm too new to this community to be have the perspective I need to understand their reaction. Anyone have a take on that who can break it down for me? 

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Introduction: http://bit.ly/1SIxWwl.

I think we've been successful in helping to add to the conversation that is the psychiatric pride/ "anti-stigma campaign," #MedicatedandMighty. It's interesting that people perceive those of us who've voiced our perspectives and experiences with psych drugs as "shaming" and "stigmatizing" to their campaign. I read someone refer to our contributions as "forcing an agenda." I think I'm too new to this community to be have the perspective I need to understand their reaction. Anyone have a take on that who can break it down for me? 

In their defence I often see people being aggressive to people who are considering starting psych drugs. It's probably a projection, they see in that person the person they once were. As if stopping that individual beggining drugs would undo their own past decision.

September 2011 - 75 mg Effexor, 15 mg Mirtazapine
September 2012 - CT. Developed PSSD (mostly erectile dysfunction and diminished enjoyment of sex).
January 2016 - Symptoms persist, no improvements. In fact, things seem worse now than they were in the first year.

In their defence I often see people being aggressive to people who are considering starting psych drugs. It's probably a projection, they see in that person the person they once were. As if stopping that individual beggining drugs would undo their own past decision.

Are you saying that you disagree with both the tone and the content of the contributions made by people involved in the NOT/ UN #MedicatedandMighty campaign, AppleofSodom?

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

I have been following the #medicatedandmighty haghstag every day, not writing though, because very few of the people who follows me on twitter know about my anxiety/depression episode and that I took an AD.

Why so few people know?, because I felt like it was not a good idea to tell the people about my sudden mental problems (stigma), and that's very wrong. Why should I be more ashamed about having an anxiety/depression episode than someone who breaks a leg?.

If I had talkled to more people about it openly, I would have avoided taking antidepressants. Because i started on antidepressants to continue pretending that everything was ok and to be able to continue keeping to myself my problems, when it was not and those problems needed to be shared, they had been kept to myself for too long. What I needed was to talk about my issues and fix them, because I had been being strong for too long... 

I am pretty sure that I just needed time, love and talking to be perfectly ok again. Now my original issues are solved, but this apathy and lack of interest about everything is new, and probably AD induced.

But my point is that the stigma was as bad as the medication for me. Without stigma, I would have talked openly about what was going on in my head, and probably I would have avoided being put on antidepressants.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think we all learn with time and practice just how and who to share our stories with........or any pieces of our stories.  A wise person once told me......and this was fairly recently..........people have to earn the right to hear your story.........and that has stayed with me..........just as I have to earn the right to hear other peoples stories.

I have also heard that more recently.......this twitter stuff.......on medication.........and/or not medication.........is starting to become a free for all without a whole lot of respect shown.........I'm not too big on shouting matches..........although for some I can respect their need to vent for maybe the first time, unpracticed and all.........Lord knows I have been there.............

I could go into pages on the term "stigma"............won't............. :)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Are you saying that you disagree with both the tone and the content of the contributions made by people involved in the NOT/ UN #MedicatedandMighty campaign, AppleofSodom?

Not at all, I'm talking in general.

September 2011 - 75 mg Effexor, 15 mg Mirtazapine
September 2012 - CT. Developed PSSD (mostly erectile dysfunction and diminished enjoyment of sex).
January 2016 - Symptoms persist, no improvements. In fact, things seem worse now than they were in the first year.

In a similar vain, I attended meetings of DDA, Dual Diagnosis Anon which is a recognized offshoot of AA, for several years when I first started my taper.  I finally gave up on attending because I was such an odd man out in the group.  Their entire thrust was to face the reality that they had psychological problems that lead to their drug and alcohol abuse and to accept the fact that they needed to be medicated to control those problems.  One of the big stumbling blocks for them was facing the stigmas of having the affliction and having to be medicated to "cure" it.  While/after dealing with that problem they were, for the most part, very proud of "taking control of their life".  To have that accomplishment upset by having it pointed out that their "cure" and source of pride was in fact a false foundation and was more than likely to cause them even greater problems in the future was something they didn't want to hear let alone deal with.  I think a similar situation is occurring with the twitter group.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

In a similar vain, I attended meetings of DDA, Dual Diagnosis Anon which is a recognized offshoot of AA, for several years when I first started my taper.  I finally gave up on attending because I was such an odd man out in the group.  Their entire thrust was to face the reality that they had psychological problems that lead to their drug and alcohol abuse and to accept the fact that they needed to be medicated to control those problems.  One of the big stumbling blocks for them was facing the stigmas of having the affliction and having to be medicated to "cure" it.  While/after dealing with that problem they were, for the most part, very proud of "taking control of their life".  To have that accomplishment upset by having it pointed out that their "cure" and source of pride was in fact a false foundation and was more than likely to cause them even greater problems in the future was something they didn't want to hear let alone deal with.  I think a similar situation is occurring with the twitter group.

That sounds really likely Brass Monkey.  What is ironic........or not so ironic.........is that sometimes hearing that stuff you don't want to hear..........later comes back to be a good opening for whatever twist your own personal change or journey is going to take.

So......I guess I somewhat am proud of the folks who are hanging in on that discussion and taking the personal insults impersonally...........something like that..........

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

The whole DDA thing made me excited and upset at the same time.  To see these people really putting in the work, and it really was work, making the decisions, making the changes and "getting it together" was really inspiring.  But knowing what they faced in just a few years with their heavy duty poly drugging was disheartening.  The best I could hope for was to plant the seeds of a future "aha moment" by telling my contradictory story, that they really didn't want to hear.  So I too would be excited for the twitter crowd, on the grounds that they are trying.  But the pessimist in me knows that their light at the end of the tunnel is an on rushing train.  And I find that quite distressing. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

The whole DDA thing made me excited and upset at the same time.  To see these people really putting in the work, and it really was work, making the decisions, making the changes and "getting it together" was really inspiring.  But knowing what they faced in just a few years with their heavy duty poly drugging was disheartening.  The best I could hope for was to plant the seeds of a future "aha moment" by telling my contradictory story, that they really didn't want to hear.  So I too would be excited for the twitter crowd, on the grounds that they are trying.  But the pessimist in me knows that their light at the end of the tunnel is an on rushing train.  And I find that quite distressing. 

Yes.  Well put.  Double.....ugh.....distress.

I've been watching #MandM too. My reactions:

There is no shame whatsoever in taking medication, or for that matter in being addicted to anything. It's incredibly hard to quit while you are intoxicated, and no one I know ever enteres into addicition willingly.

I don't support any kind of ridicule or insult directed at the #MandM people

I feel sorry for them, not because they are on meds, but because in the service of a marketing agency they are making a public declaration of mental illness that can hurt them in many ways down the line.

You can delete things from Twitter, but there are several independent "bots" that download, save, and repost them indiscriminately on creepy sites run out of other countries, where you might never be able to take them down. There might even be people doing it on purpose, looking for embarrassing things to post later.

I haven't joined in because I don't want to be attacked, and I don't see anyone who is making reasonable points on "our side" being received very well. It falls on deaf ears. (Maybe the tinnitus.)

If we have anything to say it should be with our own hashtag "#De-Medicated and Flighty" or something.

"#De-medicated and Might Sue."

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

I'm not sure whose campaigns you are referring to Gardenia?

Marmite, I was speaking about the #MedicatedandMighty campaign as I stated. I agree with you on all points. Well said.

My question re: "forcing an agenda" was about the history of how that statement is used and how it's functioning in the ongoing conversation.

• Moderator Emeritus

......and I was referring to the unmedicated taking the insults impersonally from the medicated.........it should go both ways though.

I don't support ridicule and insults when knowingly offering them as such, in a personal attack on another..........as we all know though.........we have most likely done it at some time or other.........

Will Hall again....... :)   A bit off topic but he had a good one on his FB page........unfortunately from "the onion" and satirical about Dr.'s talking to teens about not taking prescribed drugs.......something like that anyway..........

I don't support ridicule and insults when knowingly offering them as such, in a personal attack on another..........as we all know though.........we have most likely done it at some time or other.........

Will Hall again....... :)   A bit off topic but he had a good one on his FB page........unfortunately from "the onion" and satirical about Dr.'s talking to teens about not taking prescribed drugs.......something like that anyway..........

I don't support insulting people or ridiculing anyone regardless of their medical decisions either, manymoretodays. I think that goes without saying. I did see some of that going on, but I didn't disparage anyone in the information I shared regarding my own perspective.

I saw The Onion article Will Hall posted and enjoyed it, too. Nothing like a well crafted piece of satire to get to the core of a matter.

There is no shame whatsoever in taking medication, or for that matter in being addicted to anything. It's incredibly hard to quit while you are intoxicated, and no one I know ever enteres into addicition willingly.

I feel sorry for them, not because they are on meds, but because in the service of a marketing agency they are making a public declaration of mental illness that can hurt them in many ways down the line.

You can delete things from Twitter, but there are several independent "bots" that download, save, and repost them indiscriminately on creepy sites run out of other countries, where you might never be able to take them down. There might even be people doing it on purpose, looking for embarrassing things to post later.

I haven't joined in because I don't want to be attacked, and I don't see anyone who is making reasonable points on "our side" being received very well. It falls on deaf ears. (Maybe the tinnitus.)

If we have anything to say it should be with our own hashtag "#De-Medicated and Flighty" or something.

"#De-medicated and Might Sue."  I love this!

Yes, re: "our side" not being as well received though I felt a few of my posts were received well. I didn't feel up to fending off attacks either. So, I took a conservative approach in sharing my points. I did get attacked a few times which was difficult to respond to especially as I'm still very symptomatic. Still, I think it was worth the effort. I wish someone had told me during the sixteen long years I took the "medication" that they had a bad experience or that the drugs could be potentially dangerous. No one did. I had no idea. Since I've been in withdrawal, I learned that a long time friend had experienced severe effects from psych meds he'd taken. He never shared that with me. I think that speaks to the effects of stigma of those who suffer and take psych drugs, as well as the shame associated with it all. That's one reason why it's so important to me to share the information I have as effectively as I can, in a way that can be heard. I think about the action as having planted seeds, because they have the potential to grow into understanding and empowerment.

I thought it was relevant to this community, so I hope you find this twitter page to be of interest.

Cheers,

Osk

Nice work on the campaign! Respect.

• Moderator Emeritus

"#De-medicated and Might Sue."  I love this!

Yes, re: "our side" not being as well received though I felt a few of my posts were received well. I didn't feel up to fending off attacks either. So, I took a conservative approach in sharing my points. I did get attacked a few times which was difficult to respond to especially as I'm still very symptomatic. Still, I think it was worth the effort. I wish someone had told me during the sixteen long years I took the "medication" that they had a bad experience or that the drugs could be potentially dangerous. No one did. I had no idea. Since I've been in withdrawal, I learned that a long time friend had experienced severe effects from psych meds he'd taken. He never shared that with me. I think that speaks to the effects of stigma of those who suffer and take psych drugs, as well as the shame associated with it all. That's one reason why it's so important to me to share the information I have as effectively as I can, in a way that can be heard. I think about the action as having planted seeds, because they have the potential to grow into understanding and empowerment.

:)   #De-medicated and Flighty!!!!  Like a bird, no a plane...........oh wait........a spacecraft!!!! :)

:)   #De-medicated and Flighty!!!!  Like a bird, no a plane...........oh wait........a spacecraft!!!! :)

That's right: 3 - 2 - 1 LIFTOFF!  LOL!

I think that most people don't understand withdrawal effects. I know I didn't...for years. I just put it down to deteriorating mental illness and my doctors re-inforced the myth. Stigma probably does play a part in people not talking about it to others, but on the whole I think that we are under-informed about withdrawal and need a campaign to inform both the medical profession and patients about what "may" happen when they stop their drug.

We also need more information on how withdrawal affects people on poly-pharmacy and those of us who took drugs long term e.g. for longer than the research allowed for and documented.

Yes, I agree.

Thanks for providing the link. I appreciate your pointing out the RxISK project.

• 2 weeks later...

Only if you like dark humor, but not far from the truth,,    http://www.naturalnews.com/051652_Medicated_and_mighty_psychiatric_drugs_school_shooters.html

• 2 months later...

Author Laurie Oakley ventured into the fray and then wrote a blog post about it. And then was verbally attacked an an #MandMer, and handled it will.  Aside from someone being upset at first, which is always a bummer, it's pretty funny.

http://www.laurieoakley.com/the-blog/medicated-and-mighty

PS Her first book was the story of her pharma adventure. The new one will be out soon. It is:

post-3474-0-84984900-1451488646.jpg

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy