If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#37 MountainMan

MountainMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

At this point, I get it checked weekly, because it's been fluctuating a bit. Hopefully, I won't need to go as often. Another question: I haven't found any information here on the tapering time table. That is, I understand that each reduction should be at 10%, however, how often should someone reduce the dosage? Every day? Weekly? Every six weeks?

#38 Skyler

Skyler

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

At this point, I get it checked weekly, because it's been fluctuating a bit. Hopefully, I won't need to go as often.

Another question: I haven't found any information here on the tapering time table. That is, I understand that each reduction should be at 10%, however, how often should someone reduce the dosage? Every day? Weekly? Every six weeks?

It's 10% off each successive month, hold a month. Did you see this?.. http://survivinganti...1288#entry21288

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

#39 tezza

tezza

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hi MM, No more frequently than every two weeks. We usually say 'listen to your body', though. Really, it varies with each person depending on whether you feel withdrawal symptoms. Ideally, you taper at a rate that is slow enough NOT to feel any WDs. Some can go a little faster and some must go slower. You have to find what your own tapering rate is. You may have to insist on getting the liquid Zoloft. Holding four weeks is a good place to start.
http://survivinganti...dal-withdrawal/

Seroquel and Mirtazipine

#40 Skyler

Skyler

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

No more frequently than every two weeks. We usually say 'listen to your body', though. Really, it varies with each person depending on whether you feel withdrawal symptoms. Ideally, you taper at a rate that is slow enough NOT to feel any WDs.

Some can go a little faster and some must go slower. You have to find what your own tapering rate is.

You may have to insist on getting the liquid Zoloft.

Holding four weeks is a good place to start.

Yup... four weeks is good that's what is recommended to start, not two weeks unless you are doing really well. Gotta test the waters first. Read the link .. it will give you everything you need to know.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

#41 tezza

tezza

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Yes, I totally agree! Test the waters first! :lol:
http://survivinganti...dal-withdrawal/

Seroquel and Mirtazipine

#42 Meimeiquest

Meimeiquest

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, TN

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

Regarding the Coumadin: I'm sure you know that Coumadin is a "big hairy deal" drug that can be affected by almost anything. So you need to let the prescribing doctor know exactly what you're doing. That's just my personal opinion. Meimeiquest
1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.
Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12
Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13
Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15
11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)
9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol
7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol
56 years old

#43 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,885 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Thank you for pointing that out, Meimei.
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#44 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Hi, floronet.

The same guidelines apply to benzos.

We're not experts in benzo tapering here. There are sites that specialize in going off benzos. You may wish to join this Facebook group

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

#45 cymbaltawithdrawal5600

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

We have a poster here who refers to herself as 'the slowest turtle in Turtleville'. I find her story fascinating.

Mine (off all meds status) happened SO differently.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivinganti...ion/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

#46 Rhiannon

Rhiannon

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,783 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest US

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

Summary of our harm reduction approach to tapering

It's best to go slowly to find out how you tolerate a reduction. Once you damage your nervous system with withdrawal symptoms, it can take a very long time to feel good again.

But -- many people do fine with a faster taper. Are you one of them? You can't tell. We advocate a harm reduction approach to tapering:

• Initially, make a 10% reduction and hold there for a MONTH. It can take several weeks for withdrawal symptoms to emerge. Do that again the second month.
  • If you have very minor or no symptoms from these 2 reductions, you can try reducing by 10% (calculated on the last dosage) every 3 weeks. Do that twice. If no problems, reduce by 10% every 2 weeks. Do that twice.
  • If no problems after 4.5 months of very gradual reduction, you may be able to reduce by 10% every week.
  • If significant withdrawal symptoms appear, make smaller cuts or go slower. Listen to your body.

I read Peter Breggin's chapter on the 10% reduction method. In that chapter he says to reduce by 10% every 7 to 10 days.  Why do you recommend holding for a month? 
At this pace it would take people YEARS to get off a medication they don't want to be on or that is causing them side effects.  By my calculations, going off of 5 mgs of Lexapro and reducing by 10% every other week, it would take a whole year to go down to 0!  That is too dam long!  If they're starting with a dose that is substantially higher than 5 mg...it will take that much longer.  I don't know, personally, I am not that patient.  Having to deal with measuring out liquid in syringes is cumbersome enough, but to have to deal with that for YEARS...oy vey!

Lilu, if you read carefully, you will see that we recommend STARTING the taper at this slow pace, and then speeding up to tolerance.  Some people can tolerate a more aggressive taper; others need to go more slowly. Unfortunately, if you start too fast and you crash and burn, it can take a really long time to get stable enough to taper again, and usually people have to reinstate or sometimes even start on other meds.  And then they're often more sensitized and have to taper even more slowly after that. And it just ends up taking them longer overall. 

On the other hand, if you start slowly, you can observe how your withdrawal symptoms play out and unfold and settle down over time. You can get a sense of what's going to work for you. Withdrawal is so individual that your own body is really the only reliable expert on how fast you can go.  If you observe and journal your doses and symptoms for a few months (how long is really variable depending on individual history) then you can base your taper rate on some actual information rather than just a guess.

Then you can speed up or slow down, however works for you.

We have found that this is the safest approach for people. Yes, some people can come off fast, but as long as some people are thrown into severe suffering by trying to come off too fast, we will not advise that here.  I personally will not risk giving people advice that could potentially cause them great suffering.

I have trouble understanding the "well that's just too long to taper so I guess I'll stay on drugs the rest of my life" philosophy, but you aren't the first person to express it.  Me, I'd rather taper for as long as it takes. I would go faster if I could, but I can only go as fast as my symptoms will allow.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease" as I was told. Long and tragic story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything.

Now tapering, ironically (but not surprisingly) healthier and more functional than I ever was during the years on the "meds," even with withdrawal (usually fairly mild at this slow pace).

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 14 2011:   86 mg Neurontin   144 Lamictal,    5.5 Celexa   0.42 Xanax      1.9 mg Valium

Feb 16 2012:   10 mg Neurontin   115 Lamictal     3.7 Celexa   0.285 Xanax     2.0 Valium

Feb 22 2013:   86 Lamictal    2.05 Celexa       0.23 Xanax      1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

Now:                43                    0.625                 0.0775            1.3

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

#47 catw66

catw66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

This is exactly the article I needed to read today. I thought I was okay reinstating my half dose and then it all caught up with me again. I certainly do not want to cause my nervous system more damage that it may have sustained over many years of this stuff and I now fully understand how the toxic effects and CNS damage don't really show symptoms until you get off of some of these drugs.

I started to feel at times today that I was going to have a siezure on top of all the chills and extreme "neuro-emotion" then read that some woman did have a tonic clonic siezure from cymbalta withdrawal. I will be sure to drink some sort of electrolyte drink on the next taper....as soon as I recover from this failed discontinuation and then half dose experiment.

I am glad someone warned me that it could get a lot worse. They were so right.

I've been putting off starting a blog but I think as I stabilize again, I am going to start one - about my healing journey and how all this is going.

I think the more people who talk openly about these things, the less people will try some of these toxic chemicals when other therapies would suffice.

I yelled at the TV set today when a Cymbalta commercial came on congratulating the viewer for taking a first step in relieving their pain. They never elucidate much more than just not going off of it suddenly, but never add much who bad it can be - after they are done going on about the long list of non-psych physical problems that might happen (liver damage, bleeding, etc.)

My mother has the TV on all the time. Drives me crazy - and to think of all the people getting talked into Cymbalta.

****I also see now why the neuro psych told me to do this under the care of a psychiatrist and I'm going to be truly disgusted if, when I go see her on the 16th of September (can't get in any sooner as there is a shortage of shrinks where I live now) that she doesn't think should be any big deal. For all I know, I may be one of those who needs to the Prozac to get off the Cymbalta.

But if the psychiatrist doesn't know enough about how to help me, I am going to use the experience as a teaching moment and give her some print outs from these articles.

This also may be harder for me because I'm also on Tramadol for chronic pain. Only my own brain knows at this point, but this little experiment for me has been truly and literally very sickening. Now that I am done crying for a while, I just wanted to say that I am so happy I am not alone in this and that others not only understand but are doing something getting the info out there. 

Finished slow taper on 4/6/14 from 20 mg to 6 beads over period of almost a year on Cymbalta and then quit cannabis around the time I DC'd Cymbalta.

Tried to go off completely 8/13 - 8/20 (didn't work) - Reinstated 10mg on 8/21/13

Off Adderall (2010 -2013) after 3.5 years since July 12th, 2013

Taking Tramadol 50 mg since 2007 for chronic pain

Lamictal 450 mg (from 2007 - 2009)

Lexapro (2004-2007 30 mg?)

Ambien (2009-2010)

Trazadone (2010-2011 for sleep)

2008-2010 -Trials of Wellbutrin, Paxil, Ritalin, Concerta, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Seroquel, Trileptal

Earlier history includes - long courses of Tricyclics, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil. Serzone, Celexa, Remeron, Zoloft for shorter periods.

Haldol, Lithium, Stelazine. Xanax, Clonipin, and Ativan have been used on and off, mostly Clonipin. Went through serious Xanax withdrawal a couple times in my life so far. Methadone (2003-2005 - psychiatrist/pain management doctor decided that was the first thing I ought to try for moderate chronic pain).  MS Contin 2005-2007 (aka Morphine)

#48 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

A neuropsychiatrist should also know how to taper!!!

#49 catw66

catw66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hi Alto - He couldn't help me because all he does is ECT now. I thought that very disappointing. If it had been any earlier in the year when I go through a very bad seasonal form of depression that is intolerable, I would not have been able to get the help I needed due to being on Cymbalta and not being able to come off of it fast enough. That truly scares me, but at this point, my depression is not so constantly bad and unbearable every single day, so maybe it's all a blessing in disguise. I really didn't want to put more chemicals in my system to get ECT.

The neuro didn't even know if the ECT would help Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms, but I think it would have been hell to deal with on top of other strong meds that are used for ECT specifically. Now that I see what it is like, you are right that ECT would have been no match for these kinds of withdrawals. It's not just a brain thing. My whole body felt sick today. I had to take a nausea medication finally.

Finished slow taper on 4/6/14 from 20 mg to 6 beads over period of almost a year on Cymbalta and then quit cannabis around the time I DC'd Cymbalta.

Tried to go off completely 8/13 - 8/20 (didn't work) - Reinstated 10mg on 8/21/13

Off Adderall (2010 -2013) after 3.5 years since July 12th, 2013

Taking Tramadol 50 mg since 2007 for chronic pain

Lamictal 450 mg (from 2007 - 2009)

Lexapro (2004-2007 30 mg?)

Ambien (2009-2010)

Trazadone (2010-2011 for sleep)

2008-2010 -Trials of Wellbutrin, Paxil, Ritalin, Concerta, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Seroquel, Trileptal

Earlier history includes - long courses of Tricyclics, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil. Serzone, Celexa, Remeron, Zoloft for shorter periods.

Haldol, Lithium, Stelazine. Xanax, Clonipin, and Ativan have been used on and off, mostly Clonipin. Went through serious Xanax withdrawal a couple times in my life so far. Methadone (2003-2005 - psychiatrist/pain management doctor decided that was the first thing I ought to try for moderate chronic pain).  MS Contin 2005-2007 (aka Morphine)

#50 Needmylifeback

Needmylifeback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

I am SO glad I found this tonight!!! I have been reading as much as I possibly can for the last ten days.... And I have run the math on the taper and felt certain I could go faster than 10% every 6-8weeks. Now it makes more sense.... So we don't need to go that slowly IF our bodies don't have any noticeable withdrawal?? I haven't had an problems since I stopped dropping my Xanax dose Dec 2nd.... And cut my am buspar by 50% on Dec 11th. I have not ever had any issues going off neuro meds when my neurologist kept swapping around half a dozen or more. I am hoping all this means I can get back off the buspar much faster than my initial calculations of 10% of current dose every 6-8weeks. I don't think my liver can handle taking buspar for more than a few months more!! My liver completely shut down and I was acholic for most of July.... It's still very fragile. Getting the buspar out to protect my liver function is my top priority right now.
Withdrawing meds: * lexapro 20mg (?) since maybe winter 2009-10. Self weaned this summer stopping in sept 2013 (I just cut in half for a few weeks, then took every other day then a couple x a week then nothing); *Xanax 0.5mg 4xday (dr cut by 50% twice in 16days oct 5-21st. By late Nov, dropped from 1/2 a 0.5mg tab tid to bid...by dec 1st, I was suicidal. Told dr I had to hold!) am still holding at 1/4 a 0.5mg tab bid since early dec; *sept 9 began buspar 7.5mg bid, raised to 15mg bid oct, nov 23 raised it 30mg am holding pm dose at 15mg. By Dec 11th I knew my liver was heading into failure again... Heart rapidly moving towards stroke levels. BP escalating rapidly towards stroke levels... BP moving past 200/130+ and heart rate hitting 200s everyday after buspar dose. Ribs were burning from being pushed so far out by the swollen liver plus itching severe- needed scissors to scratch deep enough but still itching 24/7. Checked for buspar symptoms I had them all plus a few underlying conditions making buspar contraindicated. For me buspar is literally toxic.
*buspar taper:
~dec 11th dropped from 30mg am/15mg pm to 15mg am/pm
~dec 17th pm dropped to 12.5mg am/pm
~dec 29th pm dropped to 10mg am/pm
~jan 5th pm dropped to 7.5mg am/pm
~jan 7th pm dropped to 5mg am/pm {dropped in only two days under pressure from alto to drop Now... Bc she then realized I was referring to significant organ failures and was dealing with serious side effects not merely inconvenient ones. My w/d side effects spiked}
~jan 8th I raised the pm dose to 6.25mg leaving the am dose at 5mg; stayed at 5mg am/6.25mg pm for a few days
~jan 12th pm dropped to 5mg am/pm
~jan 18th pm dropped to 5mg am/3.75mg pm; experienced a crushing spike in symptoms including liver irritation and "lightening storm headaches" among others. Currently at this dose.

#51 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

I agree, if I were you, I'd concentrate on getting off the Buspar as soon as possible, being careful not to trigger withdrawal symptoms if I could.

I would NOT taper Xanax at the same time. This could destabilize your nervous system so it has difficulty with Buspar reduction.

#52 happywaterfall

happywaterfall

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

The 10 percent taper sounds great, but it is not possible for me with capsules.

My psychiatrist has me on 3.13 mg day (as 1/4 a 25 mg pill every other day), and I have been stuck on that dose since September. I am still experiencing withdrawal symptoms constantly, and every time I try to stop, the reaction is so violent I end up in the emergency room. I've concluded that the former is caused by inexact dosing and skipping, and the latter is because I need to taper.  So, here is what I would have to do:

Start by switching to capsules, so I can have a more exact dose and avoid skipping.

Each 37.5 mg capsule has approximately 124 beads. Each bead weighs approximately .30 mg.

# of beads    weight         % drop                  month

11 beads      3.3 mg         START          01 baseline

10 beads      3.0 mg         09               02

09 beads      2.7 mg         10               03

08 beads      2.4 mg         11               04

07 beads      2.1 mg         12               05

06 beads      1.8 mg         14               06

05 beads      1.5 mg         17               07

04 beads      1.2 mg         20               08

03 beads      0.9 mg         25               09

02 beads      0.6 mg         33               10

01 bead       0.3 mg         50               11

Is this a good idea, or should I go to a compounding pharmacy, which I really cannot afford, and get a liquid?

#53 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Are you on Effexor (venlafaxine)? See http://survivinganti...xr-venlafaxine/

#54 Blondies

Blondies

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHudson fl

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:59 AM

So if aim on 6mg of risperdone aim trying to get off it my doctor went by your article,is it ten percent every three weeks, she says every two weeks,how long will it take to get off. Is it ten percent each time you cut it I have been on this ten years,doesn't work anymore,aim austistic

#55 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

Hi, Blondies.

We advocate a very conservative taper of 10% per month to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Many doctors will go faster, but unfortunately do not carefully monitor for withdrawal symptoms, which means you can get into trouble and they won't know.

Yes, it's 10% each reduction, based on the last dosage. The amount of the reduction keeps getting smaller, but stays in proportion to the dosage.

For example, if you're taking 6mg risperdone:

- 1st reduction is 0.6mg, dose is 5.4mg

- 2nd reduction is 0.54mg, dose is 4.9mg (round up)

- 3rd reduction is 0.49mg, dose is 4.4mg

and so forth

Read this topic http://survivinganti...al-risperidone/

Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum so we can get to know you and follow your progress.

#56 SharB

SharB

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Hello.  I'm a new member and I'm so grateful to have found this site.  I have been taking the generic of Zoloft for 14 years at 100mg. per day.  I have just started tapering (day five) by 25% and I'm having some reactions -- "electrical jolts," overall uneasiness, increase in head twitching,  irritability and the urge to go back on full dose for relief.  Are these considered mild reactions or should I see this as reason to go back to full dose and start again with a 10% reduction?  I am able to function at work and at home and sleep. Thanks so much. 

#57 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,597 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

Hi SharB,

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% every month, it sounds like you have withdrawal symptoms from tapering too fast.  Please start a topic for yourself in the introductions section so that we can get to know you and help you with tapering.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#58 Abilifyneedhelp88

Abilifyneedhelp88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationPhoenixville, PA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Question-

Can you take existing pills to a compounding pharmacy and ask them to make it into a liquid? Say if I have 90 days worth of pills, can I take them there and ask them?

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

currently only on remeron: 3/13/14-6/5/14- 15mg

6/20/14 -9.5mg < 0.75-1.5 per week

7/12/14-3.75mg

8/11/14- 0.6mg of Remeron (almost off)

8/16/14--last dose of remeron...now completely drug free....

11/21/14-- 95 DAYS DRUG FREE!!!!

I do not give out medical advice only personal experience.

dx: BPI, II, CKD, secondary hyperparathyroidism, Chronic pain, fibro,

#59 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

No, you need a prescription telling the pharmacy what to do.

The pharmacy might sell you a liquid base, though.

#60 Emphyrio

Emphyrio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Just a quick question - is it common for people to require a longer tapering period than the time spent on the drug in the first instance?

For example - someone was on, say, paroxetine at 20mg for 2 months. Would they generally be more likely to get away with a 2 month taper rather than a 2 year taper? Just seems like if someone was on a drug for a couple of months then a 10% taper would just habituate their body to the drug even further?

20mg prozac between 2003 and 2011. Stopped taking for 4 months - bad depression led to citalopram. 10mg for 6 weeks. C/T due to 'activation'. 6 weeks later - akathisia hell.

Many med changes since (all low dose trials). Taken 5mg citalopram since April 2014. Switched back to 20mg prozac Sept 2014 - adverse reaction to citalopram. Current meds - 20mg fluoxetine, 3.75mg mirtazapine, 75mg pregabalin, 160mg propranolol, 20mg lithium orotate.

Current symptoms: depression, restlessness (much improved), emotional blunting, some bruxism.

#61 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Unfortunately, anyone on a drug for more than a month is at risk for withdrawal syndrome.

Yes, you might well spend more time tapering off a drug than you spent on it at full dosage. The risk in going faster is that you might suffer full-on withdrawal syndrome even though you consider yourself a lightweight drug user.

The time spent tapering does not habituate your nervous system, it lets it accommodate gradually to decreasing dosages.

#62 JJC42482

JJC42482

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Okay, I've read several threads regarding how to taper off meds.  I get the whole 10% reduction method.  I read the thread regarding the Risperidone tapering, which is what I'm taking.  I took the first steps and ordered the liquid solution of Risperidone.  I was taking 1 mg each day, so I am now taking .9 mg of the solution, and it's been 2 weeks now with no issues.  I saw the thread regarding how you can, after 2 times doing 4 weeks, try reducing every 3 weeks and seeing if there are any withdraw symptoms; if not, then you can try every 2 weeks, and so on.  But here is my question...when do I just stop taking it altogether?  For example, if I were to reduce it by 10% every 4 weeks, it would look like this:  .9, .81, .73, .66, .59, .53, .48, .43, .39, .35, .31, .28, .25, .23, .21, .19, .17, .15, .135, .122, .109, etc, etc.  If I reduced like that every 4 weeks, after 84 weeks I would still be taking .109 mg.  And that would be over 1 1/2 years of tapering.  Isn't that kind of excessive?  One and a half years to taper off a medication? 

09/1996: Prozac; 05/2000: Wellbutrin; 07/2000: Effexor; 08/2000: Prozac and Wellbutrin; 01/2001: Added Klonopin to Prozac and Wellbutrin; 10/2006: Xanax; 11/2006: Cymbalta and Seroquel; 12/2006: Prozac, Lamictal, Wellbutrin; 2007: Prozac, Abilify, Lamictal; 02/2008: Lithium, Prozac, Lamictal; 06/2008: Lexapro; 09/2008: Prozac; 12/2008: Added Risperdal to Prozac; 05/2009: Added Pamelor to Prozac and Risperdal

#63 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

That's not an unusual amount of time for tapering if you are sensitive to dosage reductions. At a 10% reduction every 2 weeks -- the fastest rate of taper we recommend -- going off takes about 6 months all together.

You'll have to negotiate your rate of taper with your own nervous system. If it tells you to slow down, definitely don't push it.

These are powerful drugs, and you're not in a race. Don't underestimate what might happen if you jump off. You'll have to judge what your own nervous system considers a significant vs insignificant decrease.

#64 crazykatie

crazykatie

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Locationsaint Louis Mo

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Alto or Mammap,

You guys would seem to know best. Can you work with a compounded pharmacy to lower your dose 10%? I'm really worried about having to taper fast.

Also I might have asked earlier, but I forget. I got off the invega about ten weeks ago now. How soon should I ask my doctor to taper? I feel stable in the moment but know that could change quickly. Also I also have always suffered from depression really bad in the fall n winter. Should I wait till spring?
Was on antidepressants on and off from 2000-2007 dx with MDD n anxiety.
2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.
Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.
Went through over 50 shock treatments n put on Invega in addition
Spring 2014, made the decision to try to get off some meds.
11 weeks ago I qt quit invega
10/6 reinstated 150 mg of Wellbutrin
I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone
I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.
I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.
Progress not perfection!!

#65 mammaP

mammaP

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

You will need a prescription from your doctor to take to the compounding pharmacy. 

If you suffer from seasonal depression it might be best to wait till spring, that will give your

nervous system time to stabilise properly too after stopping the invega. SAD is enough to deal

with you don't want withdrawal on top! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

See how to create a signature here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Many drugs for many years, prescribed diazepam first 1973, took occasionally. 3 or 4 tricyclics  for short periods.

1993 had a breakdown leading to 10 years of drug experiments with all classes of psych drugs.

2002  effexor. 

Tapered by counting beads from March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Also tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg -hold- Feb2016 46mg  March 8 2016 45 April 44mg  May 11  43mg June 14 42mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, pro biotic.

My story http://survivinganti...king-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Following every sunset is a brand new day

#66 crazykatie

crazykatie

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Locationsaint Louis Mo

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

I know to listen to you MammaP, it just makes me realize that my wd from these drugs may take up to a decade at least bc of my seasonal depression.
I just feel like giving up.
Was on antidepressants on and off from 2000-2007 dx with MDD n anxiety.
2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.
Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.
Went through over 50 shock treatments n put on Invega in addition
Spring 2014, made the decision to try to get off some meds.
11 weeks ago I qt quit invega
10/6 reinstated 150 mg of Wellbutrin
I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone
I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.
I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.
Progress not perfection!!

#67 areyouthere

areyouthere

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Locationmidwest

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:20 AM

This is all a process that DOES take time and more time than any of us want to take but there is plenty of hope.

The decades thing is a real possibility for many of us but because tapering is non linear ( somewhat unpredictable) there is always the possibility of slipping in a slightly faster taper based on your symptoms.

You may discover, for example, that one of your drugs would be ok to taper during the SAD season. Maybe not one year but during another. There is always that possibility. 

The unpredictability of this tapering business can also work in your favor. Just a ray of hope.

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone
1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.
b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]
2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax
November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b
Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax
My mantra " go slow & with the flow "
3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.
10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.
1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.
1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

#68 mammaP

mammaP

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:44 AM

I know to listen to you MammaP, it just makes me realize that my wd from these drugs may take up to a decade at least bc of my seasonal depression.
I just feel like giving up.

I was not just thinking about the SAD but also that you recently quit invega, your nervous system will be destabilised 

and needs to settle.  I suffer SAD too and managed to continue my taper through one winter without too many problems,

but last winter had to hold.

Once you get into a slow gradual taper you may be able to taper through the winter but for this winter I would personally

wait, but that is just from my own experience. Sadly with all your drugs it is going to take time but you will get there in the end.

Even if it is 10 years, you will be off at the end of it instead of dragging yourself through life and getting worse as time goes by.

And as you get down with your drugs and doses you will feel better and better.  You will have your life back long before you

are off them completely. Don't give up chick, keep going and you will get there.

Our Rhi has been tapering multiple drugs with extremely tiny cuts and is doing really well even though she still has a way to go.

Take a look at her story here. http://survivinganti...hiannons-intro/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

See how to create a signature here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Many drugs for many years, prescribed diazepam first 1973, took occasionally. 3 or 4 tricyclics  for short periods.

1993 had a breakdown leading to 10 years of drug experiments with all classes of psych drugs.

2002  effexor. 

Tapered by counting beads from March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Also tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg -hold- Feb2016 46mg  March 8 2016 45 April 44mg  May 11  43mg June 14 42mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, pro biotic.

My story http://survivinganti...king-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Following every sunset is a brand new day

#69 areyouthere

areyouthere

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Locationmidwest

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

And as you get down with your drugs and doses you will feel better and better.  You will have your life back long before you

are off them completely. Don't give up chick, keep going and you will get there.

This is very true & so is everything else I've read here from MamaP.  

That is another huge ray of hope for you right now. You WILL feel better as you successfully lower your doses. Sometimes that can actually be a problem because it is tempting to speed up.

But in the beginning I too was skeptical, felt defeated & pretty hopeless... so I get it.

I actively tapered not last winter but the winter before and did ok. Last winter I decided to take a break and I'm glad that I did.

What will happen this winter remains to be seen. 

One has to take every little step that you take forward, including just realizing the drugs are negatively impacting you as a huge victory. Because every LITTLE step forward IS a huge victory.  

AND  a step backward can be viewed as a victory as well because with every step backward you have gained just a little more insight, a little more knowledge, your body has given you just one more clue as how to best approach the continuation of YOUR taper.

Your brain is your friend, not your enemy. I have HATED and hate mine often enough but I have come to terms with the fact that what I desire ( to get off of the drugs .. NOW because I feel better & better at lower doses) and what i NEED frequently aren't in sync. 

It's a little like tug of war:  sometimes you have to give in a little and brace yourself so that you can take a little plus some to gain ground. 

Hang in there and listen to MammaP... she knows of which she speaks!!!

RU :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone
1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.
b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]
2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax
November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b
Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax
My mantra " go slow & with the flow "
3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.
10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.
1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.
1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

#70 stronglikeme

stronglikeme

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

I've lost track of how many times I've tried stopping Lexapro. Each time seemed worse than the last - you'd think I wouldn't have the courage to try again. I didn't try the tapering method and it seemed the withdrawal symptoms were more devastating than the depression itself. Horrifying. Uncomfortable. Miserable. The withdrawal symptoms always led to the same result - failure. I couldn't take it any more and I quickly started taking Lexapro again. 

This time I am taking it very, very slow. 10% reduction every 3 - 4 weeks. Not one withdrawal symptom! Not one. 

I'm not a doctor but I have been taking an antidepressant for 9 years. I've tried stopping for 5 years with 0 success. In my real-life experience tapering is the only way to go when stopping an antidepressant.

#71 julieann

julieann

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

This 10% tapering every 4-6weeks got me from 20mg to my present dosage which is 10mg.

This is the only way to get off anti d's.

Best advice ever.

Remember SLOW is the key.

Doctors never told me about the 10% rule.

They told me to cut the tablets in half and get off a drug that i had been on for years within a month. Lmao!

That didnt work out to good. So finding out about the 10% taper was amazing.
Brief seroxat history:
20mg April 1997
0mg Summer 1998
30mg October 1999
20mg October 2002 -July 2011
20mg -5.2mg July 2011 - August 2012
Crashed at 5.2mg August 2012
10mg present date. Stable :-)

#72 toomanymeds

toomanymeds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:09 AM

What if you were never stable? Always have nausea from the beginning.
I'm on 1800 mg of gabapentin 3x600, .325 Klonopin(.25 in am, .125 afternoon), in the evening I take cymbalta 30mg down from 60mg, remeron 30mg and lamictal 100 mg. Nausea and anxiety are my worst symptoms. C