SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

something from summer

Altostrata

• Administrator

Hi Summer... so nice to see you here!

I understand that you are one fabulous person... brite, beautiful and brilliant. However, it would be helpful if you would learn to spel brite! Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Someone had to say hello ya know!

yours truly,

summer

Charter Member 2011

Hi Summer --

Have you seen Summer? Please say hi to her for me when you see her.

Hugs, Healing

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

But seriously folks....

How's the taper going, summer?

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Hi Healing and thank you for asking.

I believe I've mentioned somewhere that I'm currently taking 15mg Celexa, down from 20mg. I've been doing quite well; tapering very slowly. However, today I woke with a headache from hell. I've had headaches since I was a teen, although they seemed to have gotten worse in the last couple of years. Could be WD having a hand in this, though I'm not sure. Today maybe so, b/c I dropped down a bit about 10 ten days ago and feel strange aches and pains today. I try hard not to attribute everything to WD, but it's hard sometimes.

Looking forward to another good day tomorrow!

Charter Member 2011

However, today I woke with a headache from hell. I've had headaches since I was a teen, although they seemed to have gotten worse in the last couple of years. Could be WD having a hand in this, though I'm not sure.

As much as there may already be some propensity for headaches, I'm more than certain that WD has a humongous share in it. Suffice it to say, pior to WD I *never* had headaches. Now they're very common and really severe. After you've sucessfully tapered, you will start improving. Your body is doing adjustments day and night.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

I agree with NP -- it can be both. I started getting sinus headaches in adulthood, prior to taking meds. While taking Paxil, they got better, probably due to the antihistiminic effect of Paxil. But, I think they started getting worse on Zoloft? And, definitely, post-taper, my tendency to sinus headaches has become extremely ridiculous. If my best friend has mild hayfever on any given day, I will have massive congestion, pressure, pain, causing a vicious cycle of neck muscles contracting and more pain, etc.

Forgive the rant! I'm really sorry you're having miserable headaches and I can really relate!

It might be worth trying to keep track on a calendar when you get them and see, as you suggest, whether they correspond to a certain number of days post-drop. If so, maybe you could make the drop smaller???

Neuro and Healing... I'm starting to agree with both of you. The headaches have been constant lately (like today), definitely more than usual. I've always been told they were tension headaches, which go down my neck and across my shoulders. When they are really severe, I feel the ache going all the way down my back. I wake with them in the morning, rarely get a headache during the day or evening. I'm thinking this is one of the reasons for my low motivation... certainly not the only reason, but one of them.

I'm beginning to agree this is due, even in part, to withdrawing. In the past, when my mood has been low, I've always gone back to a higher dose - not doing it this time. I'm going to ride this out and see where it takes me. As you mentioned Healing, I may have to taper at a lower dose.

I also feel more anxious these days. Being depressed has always been the biggie for me, seldom anxiety. So, now it's depression (which I seldom feel anymore) and anxiety. Great!

Charter Member 2011

I would like to know if the headaches become less frequent and less intense if you slow down the taper and / or do smaller drops.

If you're waking up with them, is there anything we can come up with the make you less likely to wake up with them? Sleep position? Hot water bottle? Neck pillow?

I would like to know if the headaches become less frequent and less intense if you slow down the taper and / or do smaller drops.

If you're waking up with them, is there anything we can come up with the make you less likely to wake up with them? Sleep position? Hot water bottle? Neck pillow?

My taper thus far has been: 20mg, 17 1/2, 16, 15. Stayed at each dose for a month. I may consider slowing down the taper. I remember having a few funky days at 16mg. That may be what's happening this time.

My mattress is only two years old, but I'm seriously thinking about buying another bed. I've tried the neck pillows/neck roll... didn't help. Could be I've tried the wrong ones.

Charter Member 2011

Summer, you may want to slow down the taper a tiny bit and see what happens. No rush there. It may semm like a really small difference between the doses, but they made those pills all too powerful in the first place.

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

• Administrator

Acupuncture might help those symptoms, too, summer. I found to be very effective for pain.

Withdrawal-related tension in jaw, neck, shoulders, and arms caused me problems for quite a while.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My mattress is only two years old, but I'm seriously thinking about buying another bed. I've tried the neck pillows/neck roll... didn't help. Could be I've tried the wrong ones.

OK, well, this is good. We're starting to brainstorm possible causes and solutions. Maybe you're dehydrated? Do you already drink enough during the day? Also, a contributor to my headaches right now is barometric pressure. We're supposed to get sun -- finally -- now.

Acupuncture might help those symptoms, too, summer. I found to be very effective for pain.

Withdrawal-related tension in jaw, neck, shoulders, and arms caused me problems for quite a while.

Apropos, I just read an article in the newspaper that said tension headaches might not be caused by greater tension, per se, but rather by higher pain sensitivity. And, w/d can cause both higher tension and higher pain sensitivity.

I did try acupuncture at one time. Went for a few times and didn't go back. Couldn't deal with the needles.

Charter Member 2011

Maybe you're dehydrated? Do you already drink enough during the day?

And, w/d can cause both higher tension and higher pain sensitivity.

Yes, I could be dehydrated. I don't drink enough water for sure.

Re w/d can cause higher tension, etc., - interesting!

Charter Member 2011

I feel so good today! Thinking I'm stabilizing on 15mg, and plan to stay at this dose for awhile. I won't go lower for two-three months. Hmmm... is there a reason *not* to stay at a dose for several months?

Charter Member 2011

for me

if you are not in tolerance, you can stay...better stay than wean quickly and updose

be careful, i see when someone updose, downdose too quick and up, the hell begins

the rule is regularly the same dose, not playing

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Slowing down on your taper and holding it for a bit longer seems fine, Summer. Just monitor the situation. So great to hear you're doing so well! You're going to make it!

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

My taper thus far has been: 20mg, 17 1/2, 16, 15. Stayed at each dose for a month. I may consider slowing down the taper. I remember having a few funky days at 16mg. That may be what's happening this time.

Hi summer--

I'm tapering four meds at once (I know, not recommended, I don't recommend it either, except that it's working great for me)...and one of them is Celexa. And because of the multiple taper I am probably tapering it extra slow.

But even so, just to give you some sense of the possibilities, I thought I would let you know that I cut by--well actually these days I am cutting by a half of a tenth of a milligram. That is 0.05 mg. That is, my most recent cut was from 5.3 mg to 5.25 mg.

I don't really feel the cuts at all as long as I don't make too many in too short a time period. At one point in my tapering process I did push my Celexa a bit and went down about 1 mg in about six weeks, and definitely got wd symptoms that were characteristic of SSRIs (the achy flu thing was a tipoff since my other meds don't give me that).

So, just, there ya go--"slow" is really relative. You can take it as slow as you need to.

I personally am a strong proponent of slow tapers, tiny cuts, and intermittent holds even if you're doing okay. But it's a one-lab-rat (me) experiment.

--Rhi

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

So, just, there ya go--"slow" is really relative. You can take it as slow as you need to.

I personally am a strong proponent of slow tapers, tiny cuts, and intermittent holds even if you're doing okay. But it's a one-lab-rat (me) experiment.

--Rhi

I agree... I'm guessing you are using the liquid Celexa?? Up until now, I've been using a pill cutter. Probably will start using the liquid or a scale soon. Prob a scale, since I tend to gag like a five year old.

Charter Member 2011

I agree... I'm guessing you are using the liquid Celexa?? Up until now, I've been using a pill cutter. Probably will start using the liquid or a scale soon. Prob a scale, since I tend to gag like a five year old.

take liquid celexa, it exist no best, i have do 11 months taper , there is a syringue with, it is hyper easy

from an old friend

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

in protracted withdrawal

Posted Image

my blood pressure wrist and a new bottle with old syringes

seropram is celexa in France

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

Thanks for the info, Stan. I may try using the liquid with a syringe. Does it have an awful taste?

Charter Member 2011

I think liquid suspensions have flavorings in them, but if the taste still bothers you, I have a couple of suggestions.

I've never used liquid meds, but I take B vits that I can now tolerate 1/2 capsule of, and some B vits taste worse than anything on this planet (as far as I know LOL). This formula works best for me (have tried many) and NOT going to throw out 1/2 cap portions every other day because I hold onto a dollar til it screams. But I found that taking the 1/2 cap contents followed by a "chaser" of my coffee (I make coffee STRONG - doesn't bother me, in fact seems to steady me, and hey it's organic - and with some rapadura sugar in it). Helps a lot!

Also, I think with a syringe you can place the syringe toward the back of your tongue, minimizing how much you taste it.

And who knows, you might love the flavoring in it and want to swig the whole bottle *wink* - who knows?

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Also, I think with a syringe you can place the syringe toward the back of your tongue, minimizing how much you taste it.

not this way ! In the notice they say : take with little water or orange juice or apple juice

there is a picture on the box

we feel any taste, even in water

it is better to go on liquid as soon as possible to get used

Posted Image

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

Stan... I'll take it with anything that helps me get it down. Black coffee, ice cream... :D

Does anyone happen to know which is less expensive... the liquid or having it compounded?

Other suggestions?

Edited by surviving
removed accidental quote

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

Hello, folks -- Great information about tapering Celexa here. Please move the conversation to Tapering Techniques http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques/page__pid__2338#entry2338 so others can find it easily.

Thanks.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

for me

if you are not in tolerance, you can stay...better stay than wean quickly and updose

be careful, i see when someone updose, downdose too quick and up, the hell begins

the rule is regularly the same dose, not playing

Stan, I agree.

I think adjusting a taper when you cut too much is okay, if you do it pretty soon. But when people make big drops and then reinstate their meds, switch meds a lot, et cetera, it seems to make the taper process more tricky.

At least at this point that's what I think. I may change my mind as I go along. Right now I still tend toward conservative small cuts, long slow tapers, holding between cuts until you stabilize.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I've tried the neck pillows/neck roll... didn't help. Could be I've tried the wrong ones.

I missed this post previously.

I have headaches that don't feel the same as tension headaches I sometimes got in the past (pre-paxil). They're accompanied by neck pain that is far worse than the headaches. They generally come on during the day and have been increasing in the last year, and I suspect they're related to my allergies or something in my environment, though no way to tell. I doubt that they're related to w/d because these pains are increasing as my other withdrawal symptoms are decreasing. But if they're a part of healing, I won't complain!

But I've had neck problems (bad ones) as well as back problems for long, long before these meds, and I too have tried pretty much every kind of neck pillow imaginable including ones prescribed by my rheumatologist.

The only one that helped, and it's a so much help I not only have two spares at home, but even one in the trunk of my car in case I ever get stranded somewhere in an emergency (!), is one called a dogbone pillow. I bought mine at a big chain drugstore, but they also sell them on amazon (in the Home, Garden, and Pets section). (Please note that that section also includes dogbone pillows for - you guessed it - dogs. These are not the ones I mean!)

Even if your local CVS or whatever has them, you can see what they look like on amazon. They look silly as hell. But they cradle your neck like it's being supported by a cloud. (For the record, I have no financial interest in the company lol!)

They look like they'd be uncomfortable, but I rotate them til they're just right.

They don't cure or get rid of the problem, but they sure make neck pain more bearable. They even have little fabric tabs to put on the back of a chair, though I don't have a chair that has space to slip the tabs over. I put a pillowcase on it though every so often I wash the pillow in the washer, not just the pillowcase.

I use it on top of an ordinary flat pillow because I need my head slightly elevated. I'd suggest the fabric covered ones (called NeckBones) instead of the fleece kind, at least at first. I have a fleece one too, and prefer it sometimes because it's slightly thicker/higher, but now I'm okay with the height of the pillow under it and the NeckBones. A lot of people don't like the fleece one (though it looks much nicer) because the (synthetic) fleece is a bit scratchy, though with either one I put them in pillowcases (and roll them up - like a sandwich wrap!).

btw, I told my back doctor about the dogbone pillows, feeling foolish but told him it helped me where the roll pillow he had me get at a medical supply place didn't and thought it might help other patients who also couldn't use the neck rolls. He told me sheepishly that he now uses a dogbone pillow himself - has one attached to the back of his favorite chair. lol.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Stan... I'll take it with anything that helps me get it down. Black coffee, ice cream... :D

Oh, dear. I forgot to mention that if still tapering or - especially - in early recovery, you shouldn't drink coffee unless you already do and find it's not a problem.

I gave up coffee (my favorite food!) when I went into acute withdrawal. I have absolutely no problems with it now, but I've been off quite a while. Any strong, pleasant flavor would probably make a great "chaser" for anything you might need to take that you don't like the taste of!

(Chocolate might work too! Haven't tried it though. Love my coffee and it gives me some motivation to crawl out of bed lol!)

Couldn't make it without my two cups of coffee in the morning! Haven't had any problems with caffeine.

I'll be getting the liquid Celexa sometime this week, and then will drop a bit more. Anxious thinking about it. I've been feeling so good, wish I didn't have to rock the boat.

Charter Member 2011

Hey, summer. It's so good to hear that you've been feeling so good.

Now, why are you worried about dropping? Is this based on past experiences with tapering?

It sounds like you're going to take a page from Rhi's book and get the liquid and taper very slowly. That sounds great.

Have you decided what your drop will be? Did I miss this? 15 mg minus 10% = 13.5 mg?

Now, why are you worried about dropping? Is this based on past experiences with tapering?

It sounds like you're going to take a page from Rhi's book and get the liquid and taper very slowly. That sounds great.

Have you decided what your drop will be? Did I miss this? 15 mg minus 10% = 13.5 mg?

Hi Healing... I had a problem with tapering from Celexa a while back (dropped more than 10%) and went back up to 20mg. Yes, I agree with Rhi and the way she is tapering. When I do taper again, it will be no more than 10%.

Charter Member 2011

Hi Healing... I had a problem with tapering from Celexa a while back (dropped more than 10%) and went back up to 20mg. Yes, I agree with Rhi and the way she is tapering. When I do taper again, it will be no more than 10%.

15 to 13,5 seems me too much for long termer

my dear Summer, actually 15 then14 then13 then12 then11 then 10, and then much more less

and if bad, stay a little more

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

Sure! Ask your intuition, summer, which amount seems right, but no more than 10%. :)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy