SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

L-Theanine for anxiety, insomnia

Nadia

Theanine seems promising to me because it is said to help people in benzo withdrawal too since it does not function as a GABA receptor agonist but upregulates the production of GABA within the brain, and also functions as a Glutamate receptor antagonist. 

As someone with a benzo and z-drug history I am really curios how this would effect me.

Though I need it in supplement form....when I drank a cup of green tea some weeks ago It made me feel really weird. It might have been because the caffeine it contains not sure....

Hi. I went in to a nutrition center and they said L-theanine with lemon balm for anxiety relief and mental focus... what do you say about that ?

Anyone tried this? she said the effect should come after 20 minutes...

I am glad you mention Lemon Balm. I think it should be mentioned more here. We should start a thread about it.

From what I've read about it is calming it might help sleep and probably it is even a cognitive enhancer (natural nootropic). 

I started having a cup of lemon balm tea every day for a week now. It seems to be good. It is not strong but it seems to induce some calmness and a good kind of sedation. I think it might even lifted my mood and cleared my head a bit. I might try a higher dose or in a supplement form because supposedly the lowest active dose is 300mg (not sure how much is in a teabag)

It is also been said that lemon balm makes a good combo with Lavender. When I made a tea with both of them this seemed to be true.

I found some detailed info here: http://examine.com/supplements/Melissa+officinalis/#editorsthoughts

This seems to be interesting:

"Appears to have GABAergic activity, although by a mechanism not common to other nutraceuticals "

When I started to look more into this I found something very interesting maybe even promising:

It contains Rosmarinic Acid, which is a GABA-T inhibitor  

I made some research about this and it turns out that a MAOI drug called Nardil actually has the same effect on GABA-T but in a indirect way. And this causes an increase in GABA in the brain and body and that explains the anxiolitic effect. 

Bottom line: it seems that this is why Lemon Balm is calming. :D

Actually I think I will try it in higher dose too.....

1st short round: from 2012 april ~ july 

Sertraline 50mg with 1mg Larazepam fast wd few problems

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

Now: 1 mgs total K, divided into .75 night .25 day

Started taking 3mg Lamictal on 05.07...... Slowly tiltrated up to 6mg....

I am glad you mention Lemon Balm. I think it should be mentioned more here. We should start a thread about it.

Here are some search results where people have talked about lemon balm:

https://www.google.com/search?q=survivingantidepressants.org+Empower+with+information%2C+give+%27em+links+to+topics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#newwindow=1&q=survivingantidepressants.org+Lemon+Balm

Perhaps you would like to do some research about it and start a topic like Punar did with St John's wort?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 9 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, it's what's in green tea...

Contrary to what's generally believed, there may actually be more L-theanine in black tea than green tea. It all depends on where the green tea is grown and the conditions its grown in.

The average cup of black tea (caffeinated or decaff) contains approximately 20mg of l-theanine.

Green tea can contain anywhere from 5mg - 46mg per cup. Shade grown green tea has the higher concentration. So unless you specifically look for this kind of green tea (Gyokuro), you may as well drink black tea for a natural source of l-theanine. This is good to know because its much easier to find regular decaffeinated black tea and drink two cups, than decaffeinated green tea, and I'm not even sure they make decaffeinated Gyokuro green tea.

https://nootropicsguide.wordpress.com/nootropics-information/l-theanine-caffeine-and-tea/

http://www.thewhistlingkettle.com/blog/matcha-l-theaninie/

I was looking for the best food source of l-theanine while waiting for my Suntheanine L-Theanine to arrive.

There's some science behind this amino acid and its effect on brain function too:

L-theanine, a natural constituent in tea, and its effect on mental state.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I’ve been a bit hesitant to write this review, because I hate the thought of getting other peoples’ hopes up, have them try it and it not work. Withdrawal seems to manifest in each of us differently, effecting different body systems in different ways. For me, this appears to have targeted one of my major NS malfunctions. I suspect it wasn’t functioning particularly well most of my life, even pre-drugs, but in withdrawal it went completely off the rails. I feel better than I have my whole life…

...From all the research I’ve done, I knew that people generally got a good response from doses of Suntheanine, the purest form of L-Theanine in ranges from 100mg to 200mg. But my nervous system is sensitized by withdrawal, I didn’t want to risk a bad reaction, but at the same time, I didn’t want to take something and have no response at all because I wasn’t taking enough, then give up, thinking it didn’t work. So I cut one of those big tablets in half and put it in my mouth. It was delicious, a sweet fruity flavor, more like candy than a supplement. ..

...So I ate half a tablet, which amounted to 50mg of L-Theanine and went back to what I had been doing. Within half an hour I thought I noticed a kind of relaxed feeling in my body and mind, I was feeling much calmer than I should be at this time of day. But I dismissed it as a placebo effect or perhaps my imagination, but within 45 minutes, I couldn’t deny it any longer, that half a tablet of a natural substance was having an effect as significant as if I had taken a combination of  Xanax (when they still worked) and a dose of my previous ADHD medication...

...I’ve been experimenting with doses ranging between 50mg and 150mg taken at various times of the day. I’ve also combined it with small amounts of caffeine like a weak cup of tea or half a cup of real coffee, its supposed to be synergistic with caffeine and many people find this combination promotes the kind of calm focus needed for study and cognitively challenging tasks, there have been studies showing this supplement lowers stress and improves performance when used in this way...

...I’ve read hundreds of reviews on iHerb and Amazon for this supplement and many people take it at night for improved sleep...(but when I took it at night) I didn’t like the way it effected my sleep, I was relaxed all night and woke the next morning feeling refreshed, but it had felt like I hadn’t really been asleep...

So since then I haven’t taken any past 5pm. But from what I’ve read online, many people take 200mg in the morning and 200mg at night and they have less anxiety during the day and sleep better at night.

But for me it’s a daytime supplement and what I’ve found by taking it this week is that my sleep has been improving anyway.

Last night I went to sleep at 10:30 and slept all the way through until 5:30. This morning I woke up with no feelings of adrenaline, cortisol,  dread or any of the usual morning horrors I’ve been dealing with the last 4 – 5 years. I think this supplement has been bringing my stress levels down during the day and this decrease in stress is allowing my body to heal and come into balance again at a much faster rate than it has been. That’s just a theory, but its definitely doing something helpful...

...My appetite and enjoyment of food has been changing too....But rather than saying my appetite has increased, its more that it has 'normalized'. I'm feeling hungry at regular intervals through the day now and have a taste for small, healthy meals...

...To be fair, its only been a week, so I can’t legitimately claim that L-Theanine has fixed me and now I’m all better. But for me, the symptom, which has been the most debilitating and seems to have been a source of continual stress on my body and mind is now gone. I’m able to be relaxed all day, rather than just for a few hours each night.

Being able to achieve a constant relaxed state, without any negative effects, addiction issues or toxicity seems to be putting my recovery on a much faster track and life has suddenly become bearable again and dare I say…. even pleasant...

... Sadly, this isn’t going to work for everyone. But I would say if you have symptoms which are of the anxiety/fear variety or if your previous problem was too much anxiety rather than depression or some other symptom antidepressants were supposed to fix, then I would say give L-Theanine a try.

And  if you do, please get the Suntheanine kind which is pure, patented and guaranteed to have the quantity of L-Theanine it states. Take enough so that you actually give it a chance to do something, maybe after testing a low dose first to make sure its safe for you.

If you drank green tea in the past, thinking it may help, but noticed no particular effect, that’s because the quantitiy of L-Theanine in the average cup of green tea you buy from your local grocery store is between 5mg – 20mg, not enough to do anything noticeable and the caffeine in it is likely to offset any calming effects anyway.

One more point, I’ve been completely drug free for well over 2 years now. If you are still taking medication or tapering, I have no idea how it might interact with what you are still taking. Studies and reports I’ve read indicate that L-Theanine acts on GABA, dopamine and induces an alpha brain wave state, so take that into consideration.

To read my full review go here:  Ridiculously long review of L-Theanine  (Suntheanine formula)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Petunia,

That is great news!!

I, too, had read reviews and researched l theanine and how it affected anxiety. I even had corresponded with someone on an afib forum that has taken it for years and couldn't praise its effects enough. I purchased a good brand of sun theanine from iherb.I was hoping this amino would lower my anxiety so I could lower my meds.

Unfortunately, I had the opposite reaction at this time. But, I was tapering Xanax, had been 5 months from a taper of Zoloft, and am very sensitive to anything affecting my brain.It was just too much right now for me.

So, your advice and recommendation is spot on, that it might affect those med free different than those who are tapering their Ads/benzos.

So, I would like to ad my caution as well to your post.

But, Petunia, I really hope that this is exactly what your mind and body have needed and that you run with it !????????

( I hope this isn't a discouraging,downer post).

Best wishes,

RB

**I started taking Zoloft 100 mg. in 1996 for a panic disorder with agoraphobia and depression, which worsened after a car accident. I have had these symptoms since age 11 .

** In September 2009 , the Zoloft was upped to 150 mg and .5 mg Xanax was added as needed for extreme anxiety due to my Father's illness and death from cancer. Successfully tapered off the Xanax in November 2009.

** I started my Zoloft taper in September 2011,and,in July 2012, reached 75 mgs.(went to 68.5 mgs,but went back up to 75mgs due to withdrawal related depression /anxiety symptoms .

** I started tapering again in September 2014 ,and, as of December,2014, I was holding at 50 mgs. Zoloft until February,2015, when I tapered in two cuts to 37.5 mgs. Due to protracted withdrawal symptoms, have up dosed to 50 mgs. Zoloft on 5/18/2015 and holding there.

**Also started .25 mgs xanax at bedtime in September,2015, due to alerting/jolting awake/anxiety and not sleeping because of heart related issues,now resolved.I tapered completely off in Oct. 2015 (too fast ) had withdrawal symptoms and updosed to .12 mgs Xanax once a night.

** After dry cutting till I couldn't do it accurately, I have been on compounded doses. Am on 0.069 mgs compounded Xanax as of  6/21/17 once per night, as prescribed by my Doctor.

Hi Petunia

I have been taking L-Theanine during my taper and have found it to be really helpful. It was recommended to me by my psychatist who is supportive of my tapering.

I was only tapering off my remeron at the time and bouncing off the wall with anxiety. He recimmended that I take either 100mgs 3x a day or 200 mgs 3x a day. I was so anxious I asked hone 3 times during our session if it would work. God bless him for this because he said, "I research different supplements and I felt it within a 1/2 hour of taking it". I was so happy he revealed this about himself.

I went to the health food store and bought some that came in 200mg capsules. I took 1 200mg capsule and calmed down in about 20 mins. For the next 3 months I took between 300 and 600mgs per day. Now I take it as needed.

Thanks for that tip about taking it with coffee. I wake up with a remeron/ lamictal hangover and need a lit of caffiene to get going. I find green tea has a much more head clearing effect and no wonder because of the L-Theanine component.

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for commenting roadback and Hibari,

It looks like it can work for some people while tapering... antidepressants anyway.

Its still working well for me. I'm getting no negative effects, and by slowly increasing my dose I'm getting a calming effect that lasts longer. The only difference between taking 50mg and 100mg for me seems to be that the effect lasts longer.

Another thing I'm loving about this is that I can have small amounts of caffeine again. I've missed being able to have a real cup of tea for the slight mood boosting effect I used to get from it.

It was recommended to me by my psychatist who is supportive of my tapering...

... he said, "I research different supplements and I felt it within a 1/2 hour of taking it". I was so happy he revealed this about himself.

Its interesting that a psychiatrist would experiment on himself with supplements. I wonder if he has done the same with any of the drugs. It sounds like you have a good one there Hibari, perhaps you could add him to our recommended doctors list.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thanks for commenting roadback and Hibari,

It looks like it can work for some people while tapering... antidepressants anyway.

Its still working well for me. I'm getting no negative effects, and by slowly increasing my dose I'm getting a calming effect that lasts longer. The only difference between taking 50mg and 100mg for me seems to be that the effect lasts longer.

Another thing I'm loving about this is that I can have small amounts of caffeine again. I've missed being able to have a real cup of tea for the slight mood boosting effect I used to get from it.

It was recommended to me by my psychatist who is supportive of my tapering...

... he said, "I research different supplements and I felt it within a 1/2 hour of taking it". I was so happy he revealed this about himself.

Its interesting that a psychiatrist would experiment on himself with supplements. I wonder if he has done the same with any of the drugs. It sounds like you have a good one there Hibari, perhaps you could add him to our recommended doctors list.

I'm not sure if he would be the best fit Petunia though I am open to checking with him at some point.  The reason I say that is that while he supports me in tapering (he is the one who prescribed me Lamictal) he does think I am dragging it out.   He also, when I first met him, told me I should cut my Remeron dosage in half since it wasn't helping me with my depression.  I was on 41.mgs at the time and I said no, I wasn't comfortable with that.  I did start tapering later in the year and he has seen me get clearer and clearer. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• Moderator Emeritus

half a tablet of a natural substance was having an effect as significant as if I had taken a combination of  Xanax (when they still worked) and a dose of my previous ADHD medication...

One more point, I’ve been completely drug free for well over 2 years now. If you are still taking medication or tapering, I have no idea how it might interact with what you are still taking. Studies and reports I’ve read indicate that L-Theanine acts on GABA, dopamine and induces an alpha brain wave state, so take that into consideration.

Dear Petunia,

I was really thrilled to read that after trying out more than half of the things under the sun to alleviate your suffering you finally found something that has such an effect on you. I take you as my researcher because I don't have your patience in methodical studying of different supplements and trying them out so scientifically.

That's why I immediately went to explore L Theanine after reading how it affected you. (I didn't think of adding it to my mix because I am still tapering a benzo but coming close to the point where I will stop with tapering benzo and deal with that AD in my life). I googled it to see what it actually is and landed on a wikipedia article that concerned me. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine

Theanine is structurally similar to the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate, and in accordance, binds to glutamate receptors, though with much lower affinity in comparison. Specifically, it binds to ionotropic glutamate receptors in the micromolar range, including the AMPA and kainate receptors and, to a lesser extent, the NMDA receptor.[14][15][16][17]It acts as an antagonist of the former two sites[17] and as an agonist of the latter site.[18] Theanine also binds to group I mGluRs.[14][19] In addition, it inhibits glutamine transportersand glutamate transporters, and thus blocks the reuptake of glutamine and glutamate.[16][20][21] Lastly, theanine elicits umami taste, and this effect has been found to be a consequence of the fact that it directly binds to and activates the T1R1 + T1R3 heterodimer or umami (savory) taste receptor.[22]

Theanine increases serotonindopamineGABA, and glycine levels in various areas of the brain, as well as BDNF and NGF levels in certain brain areas.[14][18][23][24] However, its effect on serotonin is still a matter of debate in the scientific community, with studies showing increases and decreases in brain serotonin levels using similar experimental protocols.

Able to cross the blood–brain barrier, theanine has reported psychoactive properties.[27] Theanine has been studied for its potential ability to reduce mental and physicalstress,[28] improve cognition,[29] and boost mood and cognitive performance in a synergistic manner with caffeine.[30][31][32][33][34][35]

I know that wikipedia is not really reliable and that it isn't possible to measure the level of serotonin, dopamine, etc. not to mention that I can't get my brain round this description but when I see words such as binds, receptors and in particular blocks the reuptake, psychoactive properties, etc. there are alarms going off in my head...

On the other hand, chocolate is also said to"increase" serotonin and  its active ingredient probably also binds to some receptors and inhibits the reuptake of something... In other words, everything that crosses the blood-brain barrier acts in a similar way...

Did you come across similar descriptions?

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Just wanted to say that I use L theanine daily & it has been very helpful.  I take 200 mg breakfast, lunch & supper.....and before bed. It has been a life saver for me. 

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bubble,

Yes, I read that and also had bells going off in my head. Not exactly alarm bells, more like a door bell, alerting me that there is something I need to go see about. That article makes Theanine sound just like the drugs we're trying to escape from. I also don't know how accurate any of this is and like you wrote, anything which crosses the BBB is going to have some effect in the way our brain works.

Is this going to cause harm or make my life worse than it already is? Or (hopefully) might it actually be helpful? So far its been nothing but help, I've been able to achieve a state of extended calm, lasting hours, with no increased anxiety when it wears off or a need to keep taking higher doses.

All the hundreds of positive reviews I read made me realize I had to try it.

I'm not completely anti-drug/ anti-substance. If something improves life quality, functioning, relationships or 'fixes' an underlying difficulty, whatever its cause, without causing other harm/damage, then I don't think there is anything wrong with using that substance.

Similarly, if something relieves withdrawal symptoms without doing further damage or slowing recovery, then I think that's a good thing too.

But now I'm asking myself if I've replaced an AD dependence with an amino-acid supplement dependence. Do I have to take this for the rest of my life, or taper off and then go back into withdrawal at some time in the future?

But for now, I don't care. This is relatively cheap to buy. I don't need to see a doctor or have a diagnosis in order to take it. But mostly, I'm feeling so much better without any negative consequences (yet... fingers crossed). The only down side is that I have to take a little capsule twice a day in order to feel ok... to allow my body and mind to relax.

It hasn't fixed everything though. I'm still waking too early with the morning cortisol effect in my body, it seems to be improving at a faster rate now though. I still have some physical symptoms and have to take it easy. It still feels like I have a way to go for complete recovery, but this seems to have 'fixed' a significant symptom.

I'm thinking that if I had discovered L-Theanine before Zoloft, I never would have got into this mess in the first place. In fact if this had been part of my daily diet from birth, my life probably would have turned out very different. Most of my life focus has been directed towards trying to minimize high levels of anxiety, making choices based on what would be easier, trying to avoid adding stress to an already overstressed mind and body.

When I was in my 20's I was reading books with titles like 'Feel the Fear and do it anyway'. They encouraged me to... well, basically do what the title suggested. But after several years of living like that, I was wondering what was the point if the fear was preventing me from enjoying what I was doing anyway. Exercise and meditation helped, while I was doing them, but the anxiety would always come back very quickly. Counseling helped with psychological anxiety, I learned how to change my thinking and not make it worse, learned about family patterns and dysfunctional behavior, but its always been there in my body and brain, more so than in the 'average' person, I think. But now its not :)

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Do you folks think. L theanine would help calm down the nervous gut?

I'm dealing with chronic gut pain and poor digestion..its mostly my right upper quadrant...antrum of the stomach and duodenum and gallbladder..I get attacks of pain and or pressure.

Started Zoloft 150 mg 1997 for symptoms of PTSD. 1998 on Ativan for about 2 months. Came off zoloft around 2004. Had terrible feelings of anxiety, loneliness, depression, eating disorder. Hospitalized and placed on Lexapro. Struggled with feelings of dread and SI. Came off lexapro in 2008 to try to have a baby. 2009 miscarried twins. Very depressed and SI. Hospitalized and placed on Cymbalta, remeron and "top" something for about a month. Came off all those without tapers and restarted zoloft 75mg. Then weaned off quick taper. 2010 restarted Lexapro for pms. Within 3 days dread and urges of anxiety, SI returned. Immediately went off of it and restarted zoloft 50 mg. 2013 tapered off Zoloft quickly within 2 months. Used Amino acids to help. I did not know I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms: insomnia, irritability, exhaustion,tinnitus,very sensitive to sounds, very sensitive to scents and chemicals. Severe GI symptoms July 2014. Pain and bloating with all veggies, lost weight, job, marriage. Emotional liability, extreme fear,not feeling safe, trauma resurfacing. Main issue now is severe GI issues, unable to advance foods, extreme small intestine sensitivities, pain, food intolerances, histamine issues, bile reflux, gastritis, gallbladder and liver pain,tinnitus,unable to tolerate supplements at this time. Low energy due to malnourished. Thought I had SIBO. Oh..and I just entered menopause at 47..no period for 1 year.

Hi Bubble,

Yes, I read that and also had bells going off in my head. Not exactly alarm bells, more like a door bell, alerting me that there is something I need to go see about. That article makes Theanine sound just like the drugs we're trying to escape from. I also don't know how accurate any of this is and like you wrote, anything which crosses the BBB is going to have some effect in the way our brain works.

Is this going to cause harm or make my life worse than it already is? Or (hopefully) might it actually be helpful? So far its been nothing but help, I've been able to achieve a state of extended calm, lasting hours, with no increased anxiety when it wears off or a need to keep taking higher doses.

Similarly, if something relieves withdrawal symptoms without doing further damage or slowing recovery, then I think that's a good thing too.

But now I'm asking myself if I've replaced an AD dependence with an amino-acid supplement dependence. Do I have to take this for the rest of my life, or taper off and then go back into withdrawal at some time in the future?

But for now, I don't care. This is relatively cheap to buy. I don't need to see a doctor or have a diagnosis in order to take it. But mostly, I'm feeling so much better without any negative consequences (yet... fingers crossed). The only down side is that I have to take a little capsule twice a day in order to feel ok... to allow my body and mind to relax.

It hasn't fixed everything though. I'm still waking too early with the morning cortisol effect in my body, it seems to be improving at a faster rate now though. I still have some physical symptoms and have to take it easy. It still feels like I have a way to go for complete recovery, but this seems to have 'fixed' a significant symptom.

Petunia,  I just wanted to chime in that I have gone for stretches without taking the L-Theanine during my taper.  I did take it more actively as I mentioned but over time I found I need it less-I just wasn't as anxious nor did my anxiety jump when I organically started taking less.  There have been days, up to a week where maybe I have taken just 1 100mgs capsule.   

I know in the book the Mood Cure by Julia Ross, she recommends amino acids and then says (I'm paraphrasing) that after you have been taking them for awhile you can start cutting back.  She seems to indicate that they help get your body in balance and then you can stop taking them.     

• 4 weeks later...

I might have to give this a try. As my symptoms have morphed. A racing mind has been a big issue for me. Everything is sped up ten fold lately. Like I had 5 cups of coffee. No thoughts are triggering this state, its very odd.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 2 weeks later...

Kl39, Have you tried sucking on raw ginger in between meals? I had severe gut pain for 10 months. It has improved dramatically. Only time really healed it but ginger has helped me lately alot.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi petunia

It sounds very interesting I'm going to give it a try nothing to loose. Thanks for all your post and information I'm desperate for any relief and sleep is of my problems right now. Falling asleep is ok waking up during the night then tossing and turning not getting back to deep sleep.

Currently suffer extreme CFS, Lyme, adrenal fatigue, bad gut issues, reaction bad to mold basically etc home a lot. Can hardly walk all I get crash easily. 
I’m currently on mirtizapine 1.7mg and Reboxetine 0.4mg. I did a cut on reboxetine on the 19/4/20 around 11%. 
Also taking Ativan since January 2mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hardy, I hope it helps, do let us know.

I don't get improved sleep from l-theanine, and only take it earlier in the day now, and not every day. I'm still finding it calming, when I do take it and it sometimes improves my mood, but anxiety has settled down quite a lot for me lately, I'm dealing more with 'depression' type symptoms now.

Magnesium and Taurine have helped me most with sleep, recently I added inositol to my bedtime supplements and that has had a noticeable positive effect. I'm sleeping deeper and don't wake up through the night. This might have been going to happen anyway, but it  hasn't made me any worse.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Theanine is said to be an amino acid analogue of glutamate and antagonize (block) glutamate receptor sites. 

After experimenting with it for about a year, I concluded that it does have a calming effect, but soon results in a rebound of glutamate excitotoxicity. This was in doses from 200 to 350mg, however. L-theanine via a cup of green tea is great!! They both work synergistically for nootropic benefit and you don't get too much of one or the other. The theanine seems to lessen the side effects of caffeine.

Through hardship, I've learned not to mess with glutamate.

Vaulted on to 20mg Lexapro in 2004.

Consistently on until 2009, roughly.

Stopped, cold turkey. <----naïve, didn't know any better. :(

Experienced irritability, dysphoria, and - you guessed it - depression.

Went off and on, on and off for a while.

Experimented with Wellbutrin and Zoloft.

On 10mg fluoxetine hcl for the last 2 years.

I believe my erratic medication behavior has compounded my

depression 10 fold, and has made it very hard to live without

AD's. Have gone 2 years without them before, and had to

return. It's that bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! So glad I just found this thread! Has anyone tried Theanine Serene with Relora? Psy recommended it for insomnia and to taper off of Lunesta in a few weeks. I'm assuming Theanine and L-Theanine is the same?

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

I don't know that name so I can't speak to it.     However, I am a big fan of L-Theanine and sometimes take a brand with L-Theanine and Inositol and other times just L-Theanine.   The one with Inositol feels like it has a little kick to it so I use it when I feel my brain needs that boost.   This is only my subjective experience and opinion. 

Ok thanks. The brand is called Source Naturals. Have you taken Theanine with a sleep aid?

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

No, I mainly use it for anxiety.    I sometimes have taken it at night when I feel a little wired for sleep and I think it helps.  Hard to say because both my current medications are sedating but I think it helps with my racing mind at those times. 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

has anyone else any reviews on this supplement?

after my recent bout of anxiety i really want something more in my toolbox....

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

has anyone else any reviews on this supplement?

after my recent bout of anxiety i really want something more in my toolbox....

I can tell you Theanine is one of the few supplements with purported 'calming' effects that actually comes through. A lot of them are a waste of money. Lysine helps a lot too , the combination will make you sleep like a baby.  ^_^

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! So glad I just found this thread! Has anyone tried Theanine Serene with Relora? Psy recommended it for insomnia and to taper off of Lunesta in a few weeks. I'm assuming Theanine and L-Theanine is the same?

Yeah, I take it from time to time. The magnesium, taurine, theanine, and GABA really work pretty well together for a supplement blend.

You gotta be a little careful, though. One serving has 3/4 (300mg) of your daily value of magnesium, and it's in chelated form. I wouldn't take this blend if you're already taking magnesium supps.

Vaulted on to 20mg Lexapro in 2004.

Consistently on until 2009, roughly.

Stopped, cold turkey. <----naïve, didn't know any better. :(

Experienced irritability, dysphoria, and - you guessed it - depression.

Went off and on, on and off for a while.

Experimented with Wellbutrin and Zoloft.

On 10mg fluoxetine hcl for the last 2 years.

I believe my erratic medication behavior has compounded my

depression 10 fold, and has made it very hard to live without

AD's. Have gone 2 years without them before, and had to

return. It's that bad.

Hardy, I hope it helps, do let us know.

I don't get improved sleep from l-theanine, and only take it earlier in the day now, and not every day. I'm still finding it calming, when I do take it and it sometimes improves my mood, but anxiety has settled down quite a lot for me lately, I'm dealing more with 'depression' type symptoms now.

Magnesium and Taurine have helped me most with sleep, recently I added inositol to my bedtime supplements and that has had a noticeable positive effect. I'm sleeping deeper and don't wake up through the night. This might have been going to happen anyway, but it  hasn't made me any worse.

Petunia, can I ask are you still taking the L-Theanine? If so, is it still helping you?

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

• Moderator Emeritus

Petunia, can I ask are you still taking the L-Theanine? If so, is it still helping you?

No,  I stopped taking it. As with a lot of supplements I've tried, it helped for a while, but then stopped. It didn't make me any worse though. I tried it again several weeks ago, when I was in a bad wave, hoping it would help again, but it didn't. It worked very well when it was working though, definitely not a placebo effect.

But your experience with it may be completely different, so I'm not saying don't try it. If you start out with a very small amount, that's a safe way to find out if you will have a bad reaction.

I think its probably a good natural alternative to drugs for anxiety in a nervous system not recovering from withdrawal. I wish I'd found it before I went the drug route.

I've also stopped taking inositol. My sleep has improved a lot over the last year and I'm quite happy with the progress I'm making in that area. I prefer to allow my sleep to recover naturally now.

After spending a lot of money on supplements and experimenting on myself I've concluded that time is the healer when it comes to drug damage and withdrawal syndrome. Some supplements have taken the edge off various symptoms at times, helping a little with sleep and/or reducing the daytime discomfort slightly for a while until they turned on me. But most of what I've tried has done nothing or made things worse.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 1 month later...

I just took about 75 mg of L-Theanine .,,it cal me down slightly and made me sleepy.  I wonder whether people have experience with increasing the dose?? Will it make sens to do 100 tomorrow or 200 or should I do the reduced dose for a few days? Has anyone had a bad reaction or has it stopped working. Is this something you ma want to do as needed?

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

i've tried supplementing with L-theanine... it gave me a slightly calming effect but i didn't really notice much other than that. something that's definitely helped me calm down is ashwagandha from the NOW company (but that also has mixed reviews).

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took about 75 mg of L-Theanine .,,it cal me down slightly and made me sleepy.  I wonder whether people have experience with increasing the dose?? Will it make sens to do 100 tomorrow or 200 or should I do the reduced dose for a few days? Has anyone had a bad reaction or has it stopped working. Is this something you ma want to do as needed?

Hi gn11

I have taken up to 200mgs 3x a day when I first started tapering Remeron.  It helped tremendously.   I now take it as needed.  I never had a bad reaction to it nor did it stop working. 

Right now, I have made two small cuts to both my medications so I took 200mgs last night at bedtime and then today when I started to experience some anxiety at around 12pm, I took 100mgs.  I am a big fan of L-Theanine and I think it's because my body really needs what ever it does. 

• 4 weeks later...

I want to try it .

Scared cuz  it acts on seretonin .

On and off prozac from 2010 -2014 .

Several failed fast tapers and reinstatements .

Cold turkey : March  2014 .

-----------------------------------------

took lysanxia 40 mg a day for almost a year
november -14- 2018 weaned to 30 mg
november -26- 2018 weaned to 20 mg
symptoms that got better : fatigue
current symptoms : severe anxiety
one rescue dose (10 mg ) december -15 -2018

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

It has helped me quite a bit with anxiety.  I've had no bad reactions.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 1 month later...

I'm taking zyprexa and want to try L-theanine. Did anyone tried this while on anti-psychotic medication?

thanks.

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

put my intro. and then that might help.

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

things are getting tough. no nutrition guide or supplements. 

• 2 months later...

A cup of decaf black tea is pretty much the only thing that cuts into my anxiety these days. I am tempted to try the larger doses in supplement form, but I appear to be hyper-sensitive to supplements since withdrawal kicked into high gear about a month ago. So, except for a few hundred mgs of magnesium a day, I am staying away from all supplements right now (though I have been tempted to try fish oil again... Darn temptations!).

So for now it's 3 cups of decaf black tea per day...

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

I tried Theanine yesterday and today. They only had the 200mg at GNC (my wife called all around looking for it). It kind of made me agitated for a short while, and I don;t feel like I got a good bounce, not even like when I just drink decaf black tea, which has at most around 20mg of theanine (but that was starting not to work to calm me down). So I think I have to maybe try tomorrow opening the theanine capsule and spreading it out in my tea over the course of the day.

If that doesn't help, then it's goodbye theanine.

SJ

I tried Theanine yesterday and today. They only had the 200mg. It kind of made me agitated for a short while, and I don;t feel like I got a good bounce, not even like when I just drink decaf black tea, which has at most around 20mg of theanine (but that was starting not to work to calm me down). So I think I have to maybe try tomorrow opening the theanine capsule and spreading it out in my tea over the course of the day.

If that doesn't help, then it's goodbye theanine.

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Crud. I think I overshot with the theanine.

My anxiety is waning, and I am slipping immediately into depression!

Why can't I catch a break?

SJ

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy