SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ bromor

bromor

Hello all.  I'm a 45 year woman who has spent the last 10 years on Zoloft due to GAD & panic attacks.  I had several years of "bliss" in that as long as I took my 50 mg of Zoloft, I was anxiety free.  That all stopped when my husband begged me to get off of it due to all the side effects ~ and honestly, I feel like it's been a downhill slope from there.  I'm off of Zoloft now but due to a really bad 2 weeks of panic and insomnia, I'm on Buspar to help with the physical symptoms. After reading so many posts on here, I feel that because I've been on Zoloft for so long, I was suffering from withdrawal even after a so called "successful" taper.  Anyway, I want totally off of this stuff.  I'm supplementing with lots of minerals, amino acids ~ have done cortisol and neurotransmitter testing.  Also dealing with hormone issues and peri menopausal fun.

Just so very glad to know that I'm not alone in this! 

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bromor

• apace41

• brassmonkey

• Altostrata

Hi bromor, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm also 45, and my antidepressant journey began with Zoloft as well (though I progressed through several more). As I'm quite new to all of this as well, I don't have any advice to offer, but I'm sure a moderator will be along to provide some help and suggestions. You are definitely NOT alone.

1997 Dabbled in Xanax until being prescribed Zoloft and Buspar

1999 Discontinued Buspar

2000 Standard medical taper of Zoloft

2003 Began Prozac

2005 Switched to Cymbalta 60mg; 2011 increased to 90mg

January 2015 Began taper of Cymbalta <1mg every 3 days; held fast at 30 mg for a month in June/July, then <1mg every two days

8 September 2015 Cold turkey off the last 5mg

Struggling with monstrous irritability, sadness, and rage from about ten days after I hit zero. Came back to this site and took everything much more seriously.

20 October 2015 Reinstated 10 beads of Cymbalta daily; increased to 13 beads 27 October (approx. 1.75mg daily)

Other daily supplements: vit D 4000iu, iron 25mg with B complex, fish oil, magnesium

thanks!  I think a huge part for me is going to biblical counseling & going to a homeopathic doc.  Our bodies are so resilient, but need help to heal. :)

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

Hi bromor-- Welcome to the group.  I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble now that you're off of the Zoloft.  There is a little bit of very important information you left out of your signature (thank you for making one, it really helps us.) and that is, what was your tapering schedule? it makes a lot of difference so we need to know.  Here are some threads that might shed some light on what is happening:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

After going back through my calendar (because yes, I write everything down!) I adjusted my signature to reflect my taper schedule.  After reading the links, I can totally see how I was/am my own worst enemy.  Tapered too fast after being on the med for so long.   I've gone to a natural pharmacist who does muscle testing and he did tell me that my body is in a high state of alert, which was no surprise to me. 

Hi Bromor

Zoloft withdrawal. Not a whole lot of fun (read my intro and posts.)  I was on Zoloft and Zyprexa for 15 years.  I was on 200 mg Zoloft and 17.5 mg zyprexa and  every time I would try to quit I would be fine for a day and then the second day nausea and insomnia would set in and then usually by the third day, unable to sleep and sick to my stomach, I would give in and take the pills again. These withdrawal attempts of mine went on every couple of months from 2006 onwards when I finally quit cold turkey in Feb. 2014  I had eventually tapered down to 100 mg and 10 mg at the time of my total withdrawal. There is hope although for about a year after the withdrawal, I desperately wanted to take the pills again because my insomnia was so bad.  My blood pressure has gone up due to the stress of insomnia and I now have pretty hideous bags under my eyes, but I am a lot happier and more active being off the  pills if I could just now find a way to cure my insomnia.

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Our bodies are so resilient, but need help to heal. :)

very true indeed.

:)

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

I have to go to the doctor tomorrow to check on how I'm doing on the BuSpar.  I've been reading about LDN (low dose naltrexone) ~ wondering if I could use that as help in the w/d symptoms from the Zoloft and now taper off of Buspar.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Hi Bromor--  Please do not add another drug to the mix, all it will do is cause trouble.  Then you'll be fighting the effects of the fast taper off of the Zoloft,a CT from Buspar and the start up of the new one. 

You've been on the Buspar just long enough for it to cause problems if you CT. So what I would do is to cross taper from the Buspar back to 25mg of the Zoloft.  Sit there for a few months to let things stabilize and then start a slow taper off of the drug your body was use to.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Can you please point me to where I can read about cross tapering? I've already made so many mistakes in coming off the Zoloft that I don't want to do any more damage. Thanks in advance!

I think I found the info online. Am going to do this very slowly. Hoping my doctor will agree to work with me on this. I almost don't want to go back on the Zoloft since it's been 3 weeks. Especially now that I know what I've been dealing with the last few years is from a fast taper, back on & then CT. I'm willing to just stay on the buspar for a few months & stabilize ~ then slowly taper.

• Moderator Emeritus

bromor,

If I were you I would reinstate back on 12.5mg of Zoloft now and hold there until you stabilize, if it doesn't help or it helps a little, you could updose slightly higher later. Seeing as you have only been taking a small amount of Buspar for about 2 weeks, you can do a fast taper off that.

Read through About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms  and the links that Brassmonkey posted for you above.

Buspar is a different class of drug from Zoloft and its unlikely to stop Zoloft withdrawal symptoms.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks. I did read the articles & am going to see the doc today. Praying she will be open to this ~ generally all they want is to write out another prescription.

She was very understanding & actually listened to me! She agreed that AD are very powerful & we have to be careful in tapering. Lexapro was mentioned but I firmly said no. Ended the appt with the doc saying that when I get to the point of needing liquid Zoloft that all I have to do is call. Now to do my cross taper, stabilize, & patiently wait to begin my final taper off of this drug!

Hello. I just started a cross taper off of buspar (only on for 3 weeks today) and back into 12.5 mg Zoloft. Since I've pretty much screwed my body up with ct & too fast tapers & doses all over the place ~ I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Yesterday, I took 3.5 mg of buspar in the am like I have been. None in the afternoon. Took 6.25 (as close as I could make it) of Zoloft last night. I know it takes 4 days for our bodies to adjust ~ but I can say that other than the annoying tingling I've been having in my lips for the last week, I feel ok. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I'm chaperoning my girls band this weekend and will do anything to NOT have panic sensations. Thank you.

• Administrator

Welcome, bromor.

I moved your new posts here to your Intro topic. This is the place for those "what should I do?" questions, where you can keep your progress all in one place.

If I were you, I'd stay at 6.25mg Zoloft for at least 4 days, to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you're doing.

For more precise measurement of low doses, see Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Tips for tapering off busipirone (Buspar)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Still on the 6.25  mg of Zoloft at night and 3.5 mg of Buspar in the morning.  I had some anxiety yesterday but I was able to deal with it.  Up at 3 am this morning as well...which I know is adrenal related. At this point, I think the right thing to do is just stay on what I'm taking for at least another week or so... then try reducing the Buspar.  Unless I have major symptoms, I am not going to go any higher on the Zoloft.  Am also going to ask for liquid Zoloft, I don't have the time to make my own suspension and really need the liquid as I feel it would be easier.  Just wanted to update.

Just an update.  Bit of anxiety and lots of nausea ~ but I can handle that!  Finding this site and knowing all the stuff I've experienced for the last 2 years is strictly from the CT & too fast tapers has been life saving.  Now instead of thinking I'm just crazy, I know the tingling, zaps, anxiety ect are from my body withdrawing from the Zoloft.   I'm still planning on reducing my Buspar next week... not sure if I'll increase the Zoloft as I'm functioning right now. 

• Administrator

Whoa, not so fast! Please give your nervous system more time to settle down from the drug changes, perhaps a month or two at least.

Good to hear the Zoloft adjustment worked for you.

Does your doctor know enough about tapering for you to post her contact info in Recommended doctors, therapists, or clinics

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Whoa, not so fast! Please give your nervous system more time to settle down from the drug changes, perhaps a month or two at least.

Good to hear the Zoloft adjustment worked for you.

Does your doctor know enough about tapering for you to post her contact info in Recommended doctors, therapists, or clinics

My doctor doesn't know enough about tapering ~ she just basically agreed with me when I told her my plans & encouraged me to keep educating myself.  That being said, I simply appreciate not having to fight about what I need to do with my body!  On the Buspar, since I've only been on it for a month  now, I thought it was ok to taper a bit quicker off of that.  But, I'll take your advice!  On another note, I am so interested in natural cures ect.  I've found some great resources - one is a chiropractor from TX that posts awesome Periscopes about anxiety, panic disorder ect ~ and if you miss those, the broadcasts are on his FB page.  And on the subject of neuroplasticity, Dr. Caroline Leaf  is a wealth of knowledge.  There is hope at the end of this!  I just want to encourage everyone today.

• Administrator

Thank you for that information. You may wish to start topics in the Symptoms or Media forums about those presentations.

I wasn't aware you've been on Buspar for such a short time, and that you have such adverse reactions from it. Yes, if I were you, I'd step off it. Are you taking only 3.5mg a day? I'd reduce it by 1mg every 4 days to avoid giving your nervous system another jolt.

Rough night last night. Had a week that was fairly symptom free & then as soon as I went to bed last night the symptoms started up. Horrible stomach pain, electric sensations in my head & the trembling feeling. I am exhausted this morning but have to go to work. My counseling session was really good last night ~ and I'm choosing to focus on God's promises that He is walking with me through this. On the med side, I can't help but to wonder if this was brought on by the small buspar reduction.

Been a rough week ~ the 6.25 mg of Zoloft seemed to be ok for the first few days... but in light of the WD symptoms becoming stronger, I'm going to go up to the 12.5 mg of Zoloft.  I watched a great video on anxiety & depression today.  I never had depression...just anxiety/panic.  Well, the guy, who is a chiropractor, said the BEST thing to do is to support your body first, then gradually (very gradually) come off of your meds.  I get so carried away with wanting to be off of this poison that I've tapered too fast thinking everything would be fine.  Definitely learned my lesson with this.  I know that in order to do this correctly, I must support my body first. When my body is healthy, then I can taper slowly. He also said that "anxiety" "panic disorder" are just names to describe symptoms but they are not "my jersey" to wear! I love this! Anxiety and panic are not my identity.  Just my 2 cents for today!

• Administrator

Good way to put it! So much for the labels.

This week has been really rough.  The "inside trembling", insomnia, anxiety have been through the roof.  The 2 weeks that I took the 3.5 mg of Buspar and 6.25 of Zoloft were the best I'd felt in a long time... now that I'm down to 2.5 of Buspar and increased the Zoloft to 12.5...I feel really bad. I know my body is so sensitive right now... and I'd really like some advice.  Do I just stay the course? Or do I back down on the Zoloft and up on the Buspar and just sit there?  I have to work full time and be a mom/wife.  Last night, I resorted to Xanax to help me sleep (which it only did for about 2 hours). I'm embarrassed to admit that. During the day, I'm able to self soothe and deal...it's just during the night that I've overwhelmed. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Bromor,

I'm sorry you have had a rough week. I have have had all those symptoms, and they are hard to deal with.  Can I ask why you doubled your Zoloft ?  You said 6.25mg was the best you felt.  Should you perhaps stay at 6.25  mg  ?  It seems you were feeling good on that , and it will be a lot less to taper, in the future. How long have you been on Xanax ? 

If you were feeling good on 6.25mg, I would hold there, for a good while, and make no more changes. Stability is the most important thing , at this stage.

/http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I thought with the increase of WD symptoms that maybe I needed to increase. Now I feel like it's best to stay the course. I feel much better this morning other than the fatigue from no sleep. I only take Xanax in an emergency situation. So, this is the first time in almost 2 months.

Just wanted to update that I got my scale (Gemini 20)out & figured out the exact dose for 6.25 mg. have one ready to go for tonight. Also going to keep on the 3.5 of buspar for now. That's where I felt the best. I'm not tapering or changing anything else for a few months. I'm grateful to feel better today & was able to take a nap. Appreciate all the info on this site & the admins who have been so kind and responsive.

Yes, another post.  Not much sleep again last night, but better than the night before. After reading even more on this site, I'm convinced that the best and really, ONLY, thing to do right now is allow my brain to heal itself.  No more jumping around on doses ~ I'm staying on the 6.25 mg Zoloft and 3.5 mg Buspar until this coming April 2016. I'll re-evaluate then.  I also will do everything I can to help my body/brain to heal. Correct diet and supplements, essential oils, counseling and helping my brain to change its neuroplasticity with "taking my thoughts captive" (Dr. Caroline Leaf has an incredible wealth of knowledge to help with this).

After another night of horrible insomnia ~ and having to go to work, I'm just exhausted. I don't know what to do ~ reading back in my journal here, I see where most "updosing" recommendations where to the 12.5 mg mark. I need advice please & thank you. I came off of 25 mg in Oct because I was having WD symptoms (didn't know that at the time) so now my poor brain is struggling. I don't want to taper right now, I just want to know if I should updose.

Updosed to 9 mg of the Zoloft 2 nights ago. I slept through the night last night!!! I'm holding at the 9 mg for another 2 days, then will re-evaluate. I'm still having symptoms (anxiety, head pressure ect) but know I need to be very careful with updosing ect.  I just want to get to the right dose to stabilize and then in 5-6 months to begin my final taper.

• Moderator Emeritus

Updosed to 9 mg of the Zoloft 2 nights ago. I slept through the night last night!!! I'm holding at the 9 mg for another 2 days, then will re-evaluate. I'm still having symptoms (anxiety, head pressure ect) but know I need to be very careful with updosing ect.  I just want to get to the right dose to stabilize and then in 5-6 months to begin my final taper.

Bromor,

I think that your approach of trying 9mg rather than going straight to 12.5mg is a good one.  See how you do on that for at least 4-5 days before you make any other adjustments.  It takes that long for any change to really take effect.

Keep us posted.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Slept through the night last night.  I know how blessed I am ~ still the head pressure/anxiety today. BUT, I happened to read something that I think it was Brass Monkey wrote....about the "chemical" anxiety and feelings ~ how normal calming techniques don't always work so to just accept and go with it.  Obviously, I can't remember exactly how he put it.  That's what I've been doing today ~ I just tell myself this is the Zoloft making me feel this way.  I also do meditating on God & His works ~ that really helps me.  Today will be my 4th day on the 9 mg & unless something totally crazy happens, I feel this is where my body needs to stabilize. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Keep going, you are doing a good job

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Bromor - so you have settled on the 9 mg?  Please update your signature so we can understand.

You wrote:

BUT, I happened to read something that I think it was Brass Monkey wrote....about the "chemical" anxiety and feelings ~ how normal calming techniques don't always work so to just accept and go with it.  

Yes, that would be Neuro-emotion .  There's a core, a seed in the neuro-emotion which is real, but the chemicals blow them all out of proportion, and make them sticky, even obsessive at times.  But because of that real seed ("I really said that, I really did that"), they are extremely difficult to shake.

Dalsaan wrote elsewhere about AAF:

One very effective technique to use is referred to as AAF. Acknowledge, Accept, Float. 

First the situation/symptoms need to be Acknowledged.  Through no fault of your own you are now very sick and there are going to be a lot of very unpleasant symptoms to deal with, and like any major illness getting better will now be your primary focus.  Mentally explore the situation, feelings or lack there of, symptoms etc. and get to know them.

Secondly you have to truly accept that is happening.  The symptoms and feeling or lack there of are going to happen no matter what you say about it, there is nothing you can do about them or the situation.

Lastly, let the symptoms and unpleasantness float off as you go on about your life as best as you can, believing that it will get better in time.

It's the clearest, simplest way to approach unwanted feelings, intense experiences, pain, anxiety, etc.  

I hope you are feeling better soon.  Please stay at the 9 mg Zoloft and 3.5 mg Buspar for the forseeable future (your target of April 2016 sounds like a good beginning!).  You've been through a lot of ups and downs in dosages, and it's better to hold still now, than to keep adjusting.  Let your system settle.

As LexAnger said on another thread:

Change, is the biggest harm in this process to success.

Stop the changes, begin to heal.  You're doing fine!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Yes, I'm on the 9 mg of Zoloft. Because I haven't been on the buspar that long, it was recommended I taper off of that. I'm currently at 1.5 mg. I will get that sig updated ~ certainly appreciate your wealth of knowledge & sharing! Thank you. There is always that small part of me that wants to rebel and just get off of this crap ~ but I know what that has done to my poor body. I feel very content, for lack of a better word, to rest and allow my brain to heal.