SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Painkillers in withdrawal: aspirin, ibuprofen, paracetamol, acetaminophen, naproxen, codeine

lionboy

Has any one else turned to pain killers whilst in withdrawal ?

I have found paracetamol very helpfull in combating the tremor / akathesia / tension side of withdrawal.

However when taken regulally for a long period of time that actually make you feel really anxious and depressed.

Once you stop taking taking them the anxiety / depression they cause ceases within 48h in my experience.

If you scour the internet you will fing details of several experiments with rats and paracetamol that seem to suggest short term use of paracetamol increases seretonin in the brain and prolonged use suppresses the production of seretonin in the brain.

This seems to fit with my experience.

I would not suggest anyone else abuses pain killers in this way but sometimes any relief is welcome no matter what.

I have also experimented with codeine and dyhydroceine.

Both, in my experience, help greatly with the symptoms of A.D withdrawal, however both are highly addictive and are opiates, as is heroin !!

I have a long history of recreation drug abuse, including over the counter opiates and the negatives of these far outway any positives !!

After taking a theraputic dose of dyhydrocodeine recently I found myself with crippling anxiety the next day. This lasted a number of weeks !!

has anyone else had any similar experiences ?

1999 50mg citalopram / celexa for anxiety and depression.

dec 2007 50mg - 40mg, march 2009 40mg - 30mg, july 2009 30mg - 20mg, aug 2009 20mg - 30mg, sept 2009 30mg - 20mg, jan 2010 20mg - 30mg, july 2010 30mg - 25mg (one 20mg and half a 10mg tablet), july 2010 - july 2013 25mg

July 2013 began tapering down in 1mg increments, dissolving the tablets in water and using a syringe as suggested by Rhi. Had a few hiccups along the way as can be seen in my thread.

End December 2013, now down to 11.25mg.

Dec 2013 to present day still on 11.25 mg. I have hit, what Professor Healy terms, a shelf. I became extremely destabilised when I reduced from 12.25mg to 11.25mg. Only now, after some 15 months am I starting to really recover from it.

• Administrator

I've always found aspirin to be soothing. I take a baby aspirin every night.

The anti-inflammatory agents do seem to have a calming effect. They reduce cortisol release.

(Paracetamol is also known as acetaminophen. Taken in moderation, acetaminophen and aspirin are fairly safe, but high doses over a long time can cause liver damage, particularly if taken with alcohol.)

It makes sense to me that, given our hypersensitive nervous systems, a stronger painkiller, like codeine, will set off a paradoxical reaction, increasing neuro-anxiety etc.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hey Lion,

To your question, I haven't had any experience with acetaminophen in w/d. I have had experience with pain killers though this was limited and different from what you've shared, but I'll share it. I took a narcotic pain killer, hydrocodone I think, early in withdrawal. I had an overwhelmingly euphoric reaction.

I had taken opiates -- Oxycontin, Vicodin, morphine -- for recreational purposes in the past, while on psychiatric medication, and did not experience a strong response. So I never became a regular abuser of these types of drugs.

The one time in withdrawal that I took the hydrocodone, the effects were powerful. I suppose it provided some relief from sleeplessness, but, as one with a history of substance abuse, the powerof the effect scared me. I felt intoxicated and my judgment failed me. I don't like BIG reactions and I don't like feeling 'high'. I am very hypersensitive to medication, so maybe that's why the hydrocodone affected me so greatly.

If you have a history of opiate abuse, then you are aware of the risks of that stuff.

I also took a large dose of ibuprofin several times to combat inflammation and pain. The inflammation was from an injury exacerbated by my w/d. The extent of my inflammation baffled my doctors -- of course, they don't believe in long term withdrawal so my recent d/c got no consideration. Anyway, I don't recall this having a noticeable effect on my withdrawal symptoms, though the inflammation was likely a w/d symptom itself so I guess it helped with that.

As for the acetaminophen, I have no idea. I've not tried it or heard it used in this way.

Many do subscribe to the notion that providing some stability may help the brain sort itself out. In this case, 'abusing' acetaminophen for a stretch until it's efficacy fades, then going into further despair (possibly then re-starting the cycle) doesn't sound like a good idea. At least I think that's what the steady-state folks would say. (I generally think the steady-staters make sense -- in w/d not cosmology :) )

I don't know. And sometimes symptoms are so intense in the moment that short term urges for relief moot out other considerations.

I guess, as you may have figured out, I don't know. I would just advise caution especially in the area of the opiates since you know these are high risk for you.

Finally, what country are you in? We have no over-the-counter opiate pain killers in the US, so far as I know. These medications are rendered prescription-only by the schedules established in the Controlled Substances Act.

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hi Lionboy,

Thank you for starting this thread, as i have been prescribed dihydrocodeine for back pain by my doctor,which he diagnosed as muscular/ ligament problems,

i personally believe it to be paxil wd induced, as never had any injury or back problems before tapering.

I decided against using this, something told me not to, and now i know i was right not to.

But i do use daily paracetemol for the pain, and have noticed a ramp up in anxiety symptoms, which i did not relate to the paracetemol

use, until i read this post. So thanks again, im sure many will be grateful to you for sharing your experience with these popular

pain relief meds. I intend to leave the paracetemol off now and see if the anxiety symptoms abates !!!!

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

• 9 months later...

[Tylenol Aleve Ibuprofen] I have come to realization that these three affect me. I made a small drop in dose last night 1/5th Celexa and took 1000mgs. tylenol for back pain. I woke with really bad anxiety and a feeling I can't explain. I get this feeling from these drugs. I feel it in my head, stomach and an overall drugged type of feeling. And I have just realized that they exacerbate morning anxiety. I take them for back pain. Alleve works the best. Anyone else? I am going to back up in dose again. Stay at the 1/5th drop I was doing and not push the envelope for a while. Anxiety was very bad this morning. Really brings me down. It's the same mental chatter or story. "God please help, what am I doing with my life, please help me to move in the right direction, is this the right path" and so on and so on. Full of self-doubt and fear. How do I get this to stop? I know I am the only one who can change it, but I don't know how. Hugs

Edited by Altostrata
parenthetical info

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi Nikki

I was told by a pharmacist that the most powerful drug will push the other drug out of the body. With me it was seroxat on 10mg and I took paracetamol, which I think is Tylenol, so he said that the amount of seroxat was small and so the paracetamol pushed that out of the body, liver if I remember right, and I was getting w/d from the seroxat cos of this.

Bit muddly hope you can understand it.

poodlebell

Hi Nikki

forget to add that I came off benzos slowly and had back pain everytime I dropped it. Seroxat I came off c/t and I had the worst back pain ever at first and now get it from time to time and dont have a reason for it.

poodlebell

Poodlebell I read an article years ago about SSRI's and Restless Leg Syndrome and I totally believe it. It seems to be a symptom while on an SSRI and a WD symptom too.

I do have two herniated disks which bring on Sciatica, but in my heart I believe ssri's are in the mix somewhow stiring the pot.

In the last year or so, since I went on Celexa I have noticed more sciatica, and how the meds I mentioned make me feel lousy and seem to add to anxiety. They do work for pain, I am just never going to take them again at night. And if I absolutely have to take it, I am going to use a small amount.

Maybe it wasn't the drop in dose. Maybe it really was the reaction or interaction.

I just read a post by Strawberry....and told her who I am (Celeste. So there are three of us from seroxatmad :D

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• 1 year later...

I forgot that I should not take Ibuprofen with AD's.  My back was bothering me.

Always the same thing.....very vivid dreams, and morning anxiety but the intense type where I can feel strong heart palpitations.

Is tylenol better or is there something else?

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• 3 months later...

lionboy i experimented with paracetamol for emotional pain after i read it in some article that it could help. it dies help me some of the time but not always. i love the sedation i get from it and relief from emotional pain. i havent tried it for tension/restlessness though like you did. 

i only use it as needed. i start with 1/4 of 500mg and titrate to as high as 750mg until it works. with low and infrequent doses i you are probably fine. 

Dec 2012 tried 10 mg Lexapro caused panic attack 

titrated 5 mg, and finally settling at 2.5 mg for some time

Jan-May 2013 on and off carelessly experimented on doses from 1.5 mg to as high as 12.5 mg 

June 2013 had extreme anxiety/panic attacks/paranoia when I ran out of samples.

July 7 2013 - August 10 2013 went back to 2.5 mg to relieve the anxiety and it worked until i felt restless and agitated

August 11 2013 AD-free and substituted with 5-HTP and it seemed to work together with GABA after I read "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross 

dec 20, 2013 switched to 5mg Valium from 0.25mg-0.5mg xanax daily and felt better

dec31 3.75mg V

I've occasionally used hydrocodone or oxycodone for post-surgical pain while still on AD's.  Never anything illegal!  If you read my signature, you'll see that I'm terribly physically ill in combination with trying to get off AD's.  Lyme disease and dysautonimia cause excruciating full body pain, and the skull surgeries for the chiari malformation of course require hospitalization and post-surgical IV drips for pain (usually Fentanyl).  I've founf NO effect of the pain killers on my emotional struggles of AD withdrawal- for better or for worse.

The one exception I can think of I haven't even tried yet, because I can't get a doctor to prescribe what I need.  The number one reason I'm still stuck on trazodone (an AD) is because of the terrible never-ending migraines it produces when withdrawing.  If I could get a thirty day supply of Immitrex each month while withdrawing from trazodone, I think I could get off the stuff.  As it is, I only get a few days worth each month for my menstrual migraines. 

I think you're asking about pain killers easing the emotional withdrawal symptoms though, and not the pain.  In my extensive experience with opiate pain killers, I can't say they've helped or harmed me emotionally one bit.  That's just my tuppence worth, and everyone is different.

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• Administrator

I've found taking a 81mg aspirin can help relax me and get me back to sleep when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Anyone else have experience with the common analgesics for withdrawal symptoms?

(Note: Aspirin can be irritating to the stomach, used enteric coated aspirin and take with food. I take it with a fish oil capsule.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

tylenol does that for me sometimes...it's gone south on me too and made me trip, but if I don't over use it it's good...

Ibuprofen raises my histamine...I don't touch it anymore. 

haven't tried aspirin in a long while...I suspect it would be helpful like the tylenol...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I only ever take aspirin for pain now, one 300mg pill, which compared with what Alto takes is a high dose, but compared to what I used to need for pain its low.

It will take the edge off a bad headache or other body pain and I have noticed a calming effect from it, but I don't take it unless I need it for pain.

Yesterday I started researching histamine intolerance and remember seeing aspirin on a high histamine list, but so far, it has worked ok for me for occasional use.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 4 months later...

I have no idea if they'll help, but would taking paracetamol or codeine to try and manage the bad migraines be safe?

Past use of Pritiq, Escitalopram, Lithium and Valproate. All ceased with no withdrawal experienced. 

07/2013- Started 10mg Asenapine (Saphris) an AAP 

01/2014- Given 2 week taper by doc

02/2014- Experienced absolutely excruciating anxiety and insomnia

02/2014- Tried reinstating at 5mg but had akathisia attack that hospitalised me

03/2014- Prescribed Doxepin and then Mirtazapine and Diazapam for 'agitated depression'

04/2014 - New Psychiatrist. Willing to empower me to get drug free. Started 50mg Chlorpromazine as an alternative to reinstating Asenapine. Rapidly tapered off the Doxepin and Mirtazapine.

Currently: 45mg Chlorpromazine, 2.5mg Diazapam. 

Supplements: Fish oil, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Magnesium

• Administrator

Please use search to find discussions about those drugs.

Codeine is OTC??

• Moderator Emeritus

You can get codeine OTC in Australia in a combination product.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• 2 months later...

I looked it up and found this serious drug interaction you are not to take these codeine with chlorpromazine 

chlorpromazine oral and promethazine-phenyleph-codeine oral

chlorpromazine oral and promethazine-phenyleph-codeine oral both increase causing a dangerous abnormal heart rhythm.

Patient Drug Interactions Source: RxList
© 2014 RxList, Inc.

I wish you peace. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 7 months later...

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

From what I know given my experience with Fluoroquinolones, the NSAID/fluoride combo can be a bomb to the blood-brain barrier. Not good!

• 4 weeks later...

2 weeks ago i became very very ill. Now those of you who have followed my posts know I became very ill after trying Cerebrolysin back in November. I thought I was slowly improving until 2 weeks ago when i got smashed with the worse symptoms. I did 2 things prior to the symptoms coming on.

1. was in the sun for a good few hours. Never had any bad reactions to the sun prior.

2. Took an ibuprofen for a headache the night before. I have taken Ibuprofen before and never had a reaction. 

Although i have done both of these with no previous reactions I have not had  significant sun expose or taken an Ibuprofen since taking the Cerebrolysin.

Could it be one of these? Anyone have bad reactions to either?

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

i am not qualified to state the relative statistical likelihoods of either of those impacting your situation, but sunlight (the less potentially problematic element) has an influence on stuff like serotonin production, and ibuprofen can dramatically impact your system, also including serotonin production.  ibuprofen and similar drugs can mess with your gut, which can tie into withdrawal symptoms pretty heavily.

i would not, without further information, immediately conclude that either one of those things has worsened your situation, but i would not be surprised at all if it was the ibuprofen, and your reaction to various substances, especially substances that 'normal'/healthy people can have bad reactions to, can change from week to week while you are in withdrawal and your body is still dealing with damage or resetting how some things operate.  since you stated you hadnt taken it since the latest drug-complication incident, i think it is a contender.

sunlight is not to be ignored as a potential trigger, but less people experience issues with it than drugs i would say.  if the ibuprofen compromised your healing gut, or the sunlight caused reactions due to your bodys state that it was not prepared to deal with or was not even properly reporting at the time (i have a lot of overheating/temperature misreporting/nerve response issues, for example), they could separately or collectively account for things.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

i am not qualified to state the relative statistical likelihoods of either of those impacting your situation, but sunlight (the less potentially problematic element) has an influence on stuff like serotonin production, and ibuprofen can dramatically impact your system, also including serotonin production.  ibuprofen and similar drugs can mess with your gut, which can tie into withdrawal symptoms pretty heavily.

i would not, without further information, immediately conclude that either one of those things has worsened your situation, but i would not be surprised at all if it was the ibuprofen, and your reaction to various substances, especially substances that 'normal'/healthy people can have bad reactions to, can change from week to week while you are in withdrawal and your body is still dealing with damage or resetting how some things operate.  since you stated you hadnt taken it since the latest drug-complication incident, i think it is a contender.

sunlight is not to be ignored as a potential trigger, but less people experience issues with it than drugs i would say.  if the ibuprofen compromised your healing gut, or the sunlight caused reactions due to your bodys state that it was not prepared to deal with or was not even properly reporting at the time (i have a lot of overheating/temperature misreporting/nerve response issues, for example), they could separately or collectively account for things.

Can you point me to any studies\articles that can speak to Ibuprofen's ability to impact serotonin production?

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

There are several threads on ibuprofen already. A search will bring them up and you can get a lot of collected wisdom there (especially if it all gets put in one place....)

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

There are several threads on ibuprofen already. A search will bring them up and you can get a lot of collected wisdom there (especially if it all gets put in one place....)

Thanks Cymbalta

I did some searches previously but didn't find anything specific to intolerance or any studies related to it's interaction with Serotonin. 

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

it might not be explicitly spelled out in many conversations because it involves an amalgam of data, and is not about mere intolerance.  firstly, the gut has its own serotonin system of sorts and has shown to be involved in many disorders previously considered confined to the brain or other parts of the body in terms of causation or even symptoms.  this includes things grouped under the 'mental illness' umbrella as well as many degenerative or acute neurological disorders.  you can find news articles like this that get into it a bit.  the second important piece of information is how ibuprofen can alter the environment of your gut---changes in mucus levels, acidity, and various conditions of preference for the native flora and fauna that help you coordinate your everyday activities.  lots of stuff on the internet about that, as well.  (theres also warnings about dangerous complications with SSRIs or other psych meds like lithium, but i dont know how many of those are relevant to the serotonin situation or the decimation of friendly gut species, and my brain is a bit too fried to be doing much reading on it right now.)

i dont have any academic sources on hand for sharing, but maybe my mentioning the connection will allow you to better contextualize the already available materials.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

• 4 weeks later...

I am having a tooth extraction on my molar done and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to deal with pain. My last trial with Advil sent anxiety surges through my body, now I am scared to try anything. I was thinking maybe going to emerg after for another dental freezing for any pain. Any other suggestions on natural pain relief for this?

1998-2013 Various antidepressants switches and CTs.

Benzo addiction unknowingly trying to cover withdrawals in 2011

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

Tapered Clonazepam from April to June 2012 from 1 mg to .25 mg (stuck)

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

February 2013 to December 2013 tapered off 25 mg Zoloft

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Hope this isn't to confusing.

• Moderator Emeritus

See:

pain killers in antidepressant withdrawal  topics merged

Edited by Petunia

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thank you Petunia, I am now just using ice packs that seem to be keeping the pain at a tolerable level.

1998-2013 Various antidepressants switches and CTs.

Benzo addiction unknowingly trying to cover withdrawals in 2011

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

Tapered Clonazepam from April to June 2012 from 1 mg to .25 mg (stuck)

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

February 2013 to December 2013 tapered off 25 mg Zoloft

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Hope this isn't to confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was wondering about taking other meds. I hurt my back yesterday and I'm having muscle spasms. I have to get out of bed because I take care of my 85 year old MIL who has onset Alzheimer's. Is it ok to take anti inflammatories, like ibuprofen?

1987-1988 - severe depression after 4th child, was put on a med that has since discontinued, but worked (don't remember the name)

1993 - Zoloft, no success

1993 - 1999 - Prozac (with Zoloft for sleteping), stopped meds cause got pregnant, no extreme withdrawal, then after baby was born back on Prozac

1999 - quit Prozac, cold turkey, no withdrawal

2002 - Cymbalta, no success

2002 - present - Lexapro, 20 mil, Xanex, as needed for anxiety, Ambien, 12.5 mil, Quit Xanex a couple of months after starting Lexapro

2014 - stopped ambien

March 2015- started weaning off of Lexapro, ( down 15 from 20). 2 months in starting to experience withdrawal symptoms of depression, some anxiety and heart palpitations. General malaise. Going to try to continue w/o increasing

• Moderator Emeritus

Everyone is different BB, some can tolerate ibuprofen or paracetamol (tylenol) but others can't. Ice packs are good, I get the stick on ones from the pharmacy, like a stick on patch. I use the heat ones too but for injury the cool ones are best.  If you try the painkillers just try a tiny baby dose to start and see if there are any reactions. I can now tolerate a half of the 6 year olds dose of paracetamol and the same of ibuprofen together, but only very occasionally or they make my stomach really bad and cause more trouble than it's worth!  Others are fine with them. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I hope the day is leaving you all with happy spirits. My taper is coming along just dandy. However, I just got a tooth extracted, and my mouth is killing me. The dentist wrote me a scrip for hydrocodone and before I pop one of these things I thought I would ask you all' opinion. Will this med derail my taper and foul up this window I've been in? Thanks in advance

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

Hi Iamfine--  I just had a root channel a few weeks ago and used some and didn't have a problem.  I did notice that it affected my sleep a bit for a day or two but that went away when I stopped taking it.  If your worried maybe try taking a half tab and see how it goes. With any luck the pain shouldn't last more than a few days, so you shouldn't have to take to many.  Joy of joys I get to go in for a deep cleaning/ scaling tomorrow.  Last time I couldn't feel my face for a day afterwards, then I felt it too much for a week.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks brass, I hate dentists. I had braces when I was a kid and that experience made me loathe them as an adult. I just didn't want to derail a so far pretty successful taper by taking pain meds for something that will pass on its own. This dentist is like my old nurse practitioner, I told him I didn't want anything but he actually talked me into it. I guess I didn't have to get it filled though, now the bottle is sitting on my bar and my aching mouth is telling me to take just one...

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

Might try some Tylenol to take the edge off while things settle naturally.  Save the big guns incase it gets unbearable.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I went ahead and took one, the scrip was just for 12 pills that shouldn't be a problem I don't think. I know my gums feel better at least :)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy