SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ ChessieCat: so I'm not the only one (Pristiq / desvenlafaxine)

ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Everyone,

I'm pleased to find this forum, but I am sorry that it is for the reason it is.  It is amazing how many people are suffering from AD WD, and the symptoms and length of time it can take.  I found this site from searching withdrawal symptoms, because today is my 10th day at my lower dose and I have been feeling worse today than at any time since I halved my dosage.

Recently I became absolutely miserable about my aches and pains, which were stopping me from doing things around the house and causing sleep problems.  I started wondering about them and then remembered that I had had to go off Prozac (about 20 years ago) when I got muscle weakness.  St John's Wort also caused similar but not as bad muscle weakness so I stopped that too.

I started researching AD symptoms and made (what seems to be) the connection that I have Serotonin Syndrome so I made the decision to reduce my Pristiq from 100 mg to 50 mg.  The doctor suggested alternating between 100 & 50 for 2 months, but because the aches and pains are debilitating I decided to see how I went going straight to 50.

After a couple of days I did get mild zapping / electric shock sensations, and also headaches for several days at the end of the 1st week.  I  slept a lot over the first 3 days (and was able to sleep at night).  Then I had several nights where I had trouble sleeping.  Last night I slept through for the first time.  I had several days where I had an upset stomach which I had thought was a tummy bug but I now realise it is possibly from the withdrawal.

At this time, I am feeling achy (a bit like the flu), different from being on the higher dose.  This surpised me because I had been going well.  Thinking back, the first few days I wasn't drinking coffee.  Then I started having coffee in the morning again and yesterday I had one at breakfast and then another at lunchtime.  What I have read on this site confirms my suspicion that it may be the cause of me not feeling as good as I had so no more coffee for me.

Yesterday I decided that I need to started taking more care of my nutrition (I haven't had much of an appetite lately), and what I have read here confirms this.  I am taking one day at a time, and I am not making any decision yet as to whether I will go off the Pristiq completely or stay on the 50 mg.

At the end of last year I completed a free Government funded online workshop (I'm in Australia) which I found very helpful.  Even though I had previously seen a psychologist, had done a lot of reading of books and internet articles and "knew" CBT (which I have nicknamed Change Bad Thinking) I found that doing the workshop (which was over 8 weeks) was very helpful because it was practising the CBT, instead of just knowing it.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone all the best as you deal with whatever you are going through.  Unfortunately, that is the hard part.  We have to go through it ourselves.  Thankfully, though, others can support us.

Take care everyone.

ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Gave up coffee today.  Slept okay but woke early.  Feeling very tired all day but okay other than that  Able to concentrate reasonably well.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Welcome Chessiecat

Regards

from the ginger cat.

Just thought id let the cat out of the bag, and put the cat among the pidgons on something ...

in 2005 the FDA public advisory issued a statement that 'abrupt changes in dosages can cause suicidal and homicidal ideations'

Unfortunately thats how the cat jumps. Sadly when it comes to the doc informing of this ..the cat seems to have got his tongue and besides they will just play cat and mouse with you.

Translated into cat talk that means skipping or alternating doses is one of the best ways to loose one of ya cat lives...second only to a cold turkey!! and if you do that you really will be bell the cat! ..its gonna rain  cats and dogs and thats an understatement.

There is also another way to end up like a cat on a hot tin roof and nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs ...and thats a too fast taper. For in this game its very rare to find more than one way to skin a cat.

When it comes to that fat cat doc of yours hes in the dark and all cats are grey in the dark its no good being a cat in gloves and catching no mice so you need to take responsibility for your self and keep no more cats than will catch mice you must turn cat in the pan then you really will be sitting in a cat bird seat ....the cats pyjamas for sure! And you have come to the right place to do just that.

They may be taking a cat nap but Im sure there will be some cool cats in soon to tell you about cool cat tapering..

Unfortunately when it comes to getting the doc to expand his mind on this he cant ...there aint no room in that there bird brain to swing a cat.

Personally i think when it comes to ssri withdrawal CBT is like herding cats but thats just my opinion.

We are so glad you found us Chessie.....simply purrfect!

Hoping you'll be  like the cat who swallowed the canary real soon.

Welcome

NZ11

Auckland Performance dates: 11 Sept 2015 - 11 Oct 2015; The musical 'Cats '.

“Time spent with a cat is never wasted.”
Colette (author, Gigi)

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

The cat came back and doing a meerkat wanted to slip you a great helpful insightful piece of info:

Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

If you get tired of Ginger Cats, there's an Orange Cat on here too... I chose my name after my very American (friendly, spoiled, and large) orange cat. You're in good company.

Found this site for real in 2015. Decided to taper slowly.

** I should mention that anytime I haven't been in a wave, I've felt pretty amazing! I only record the waves to look for patterns : ))**

50 mg Zoloft 6/2015, with intermittent fish oil

6/9/15 alternated 50 mg/37.5 mg - doc's idea (she meant well) 6/17 terrible morning anxiety and rumination, flu symptoms, and prickles in legs. 6/18 up to 45 mg liquid Zoloft. 6/26-29 cortisol mornings and bad anxiety. 6/30 started to take mag 100 mg and fish oil regularly with med 7/4 44 mg. 7/8 42.6 mg. 7/16 40 mg. 7/23 39 mg 8/1 32 mg (bad idea).

8/5 fatigue, anxiety, can't sleep, depressed. 8/7 36 mg resolved to be patient and try to keep to THE THREE KIS's. 8/13-15; 8/17- 23 painful physical and mental wave. Started light therapy 20 m in am. 8/25 34 mg, added 80-100 mg liquid mag during day. great window til 8/29 2 day down stretch 9/8 32.8 mg 9/11-14 wave added acupuncture 9/22 31.5 mg teeny wave 10/6 30 mg small grumpy wave 10/19 28.5, same pattern- small wave at day 5. A few tough weeks. Held around 29 until 11/18 when dropped to 28 mg; 11/22 the usual fluey fatigue. 11/30 27 mg 12/14 25.75ish mg "hold til Xmas club" (in my case New Years) Xmas was tough, kept holding: by 1/15, feeling good again. 1/25/16 Mirena IUD out after nearly six years- I think it was affecting my mood and taper- feeling super great! 2/2 down to 24 mg. symptoms much less severe. One day, not too bad wave on 2/8. 2/15 down to 20 mg from 24. A week later, two restless mornings and one morning of brain fog. 3/2 from 20 to 16 mg! Wish me luck.

Medicine History:

Currently tapering from 50mg Zoloft. Ten years of SSRI's including Celexa, Prozac and Zoloft, as well as a stretch with Wellbutrin added to the Zoloft. When I started on Zoloft (4 years ago?) I was on 100 but was able to taper down to 50 via 25 mg increments slowly around 2013. Have used light therapy and fish oil intermittently since around 2013. Have tried unsuccessfully to get off the meds since then in what I know now to be too large a taper (for example, jumped from 25 to 12.5 and that did not work). Motivated to do this slowly because that's the only way it will happen.

Welcome Chessiecat

Regards

from the ginger cat.

Just thought id let the cat out of the bag, and put the cat among the pidgons on something ...

in 2005 the FDA public advisory issued a statement that 'abrupt changes in dosages can cause suicidal and homicidal ideations'

Unfortunately thats how the cat jumps. Sadly when it comes to the doc informing of this ..the cat seems to have got his tongue and besides they will just play cat and mouse with you.

Translated into cat talk that means skipping or alternating doses is one of the best ways to loose one of ya cat lives...second only to a cold turkey!! and if you do that you really will be bell the cat! ..its gonna rain cats and dogs and thats an understatement.

There is also another way to end up like a cat on a hot tin roof and nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs ...and thats a too fast taper. For in this game its very rare to find more than one way to skin a cat.

When it comes to that fat cat doc of yours hes in the dark and all cats are grey in the dark its no good being a cat in gloves and catching no mice so you need to take responsibility for your self and keep no more cats than will catch mice you must turn cat in the pan then you really will be sitting in a cat bird seat ....the cats pyjamas for sure! And you have come to the right place to do just that.

They may be taking a cat nap but Im sure there will be some cool cats in soon to tell you about cool cat tapering..

Unfortunately when it comes to getting the doc to expand his mind on this he cant ...there aint no room in that there bird brain to swing a cat.

Personally i think when it comes to ssri withdrawal CBT is like herding cats but thats just my opinion.

We are so glad you found us Chessie.....simply purrfect!

Hoping you'll be like the cat who swallowed the canary real soon.

Welcome

NZ11

Auckland Performance dates: 11 Sept 2015 - 11 Oct 2015; The musical 'Cats '.

“Time spent with a cat is never wasted.”

Colette (author, Gigi)

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

Hilarious NZ11! Bravo!

Welcome Chessie Cat! I hope that you find the support that you need here.

Tilly x

(My username is the name of one of my 4 cats. I'm a crazy cat lady. Glad to be amongst such great feline company!)

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Everyone,

And thanks for the furry welcome.  My cat had her 17th birthday last weekend.  I also have a dog (13) who has her own issues, but she is a good companion.

I logged in yesterday and typed up a response and update on my progress but it doesn't seem to be here.

Maybe I just forgot to click the Post button.  Wouldn't surprise me, I have been feeling foggy headed for the last couple of days and sleeping a lot.

I've managed to get the washing up done and went outside in the fresh air for about 1 hour today doing sudoku puzzles.  I'm feeling very relaxed and just trying to go with the flow.

Hopefully everyone is doing okay.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ChessieCat . . . welcome to the site from another Sydney-sider.

In all seriousness , NZ11 brought up some very good points.  

Abruptly going from 100mg to 50mg is going  to make you very very sick for a long time. . .

you're having just a taste of it now.  And because you've been on and off AD's over 

20 years , your brain will not be able adjust to such a huge change without extreme

discomfort.

No amount of CBT will relieve the withdrawal symptoms.

This site recommends tapering your dose by 10% every 4 to 6 weeks in order to minimize

w/d symptoms.

At this point (11 days out)   you might want to go back to your previous dose and stabilize ,

then begin to taper safely.  There are other ways to manage your muscle pain.

If you choose to ride it out , you may be looking at many months of being unable to leave

the house or manage on your own , so you should take this into consideration.

This may sound grim but is the reality of the situation.

Please could you have a go at filling in your signature so that your drug history comes up

with all your posts.

Good to have you on board ,   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA Chessiecat.

Can you please fill in your signature with your drug history as described here:   http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Stopping psychotropic medication abruptly can cause a severe and prolonged suffering which is a reason we are all here. As I saw from your first post that you were thinking whether to stop Pristiq in this way I wanted to point that out. 

We don't have enough information about your drug history and your current drug situation so we will be able to say more once you provide that information. 

Best,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Welcome, ChessieCat.

I see another one of our feline members has very amusingly slipped you a tasty tidbit Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Here's another Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please take a look at these and post any questions you might have in this, your Intro topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for all the hellos and advice.  I'll have a look at the suggestions.

Again, something is "not working" with me posting as one of the first things I did was make a signature.  Oops.  And I'm (usually) a very able person when it comes to computer/internet stuff.  I think in this case I can definitely blame the WD.

Okay peeps, just been to my Profile page and what I completed was my History!!!  Fixed it up so here goes.

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again,

I've tried to read and make sense of the WD 10% and Pristiq tapering.

Firstly, I'm glad I didn't take docs advice to take 100/50 alternate day.  Big tick for me.

I understand that I need to increase my dose to level back out.  My fuzzy head is getting to me and I know I can't think as well as I did.   I don't want to go back to 100 mg if at all possible, because the muscle spasms from the Serotonin Syndrome caused all sorts of issues.  At least now I am sleeping and can move around much better than before.

According to doc 25 mg Pristiq is not available in Australia.  I suggested 25 + 50 to make 75 and he looked it up.  Does anyone know if that is correct?

I understand that nobody here can give me direct advice but I would truly welcome ideas because I am really not thinking clearly and am feeling overwhelmed.

I have 100 mg & 50 mg tablets.  There is a compounding pharmacy close by.  I've no idea what they would charge.  Would it be worth getting my 100 mg tablets compounded into capsules with a slow-release additive?  And if I did, what dosage/s per capsule/s would you suggest?

My first reaction when I realised the ADs were causing my spasms was to get off the meds.  I think this is a perfectly normal response and would be quite common.  It wasn't until I started reading about withdrawal that I started understanding that the ADs are chemicals that affect our brains and the rest of our bodies and that they need to be withdrawn slowly to give our bodies a chance to adapt to the change.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

CC   

• Moderator Emeritus

Great job on the sig. CC.

I get capsules with slow release compounded and can give you some tips there.

In the meantime if you don't want to go back to 100mg, you may want to cut a 50 in  halves and quarters , and

try to stabilize on 75 or 75 plus 37.5 (112.5mg).  

This will get you stable until you can get the compounded caps sorted - that'll take a week or so.

You're right , 25mg tabs. are not available here.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Yes, if you had 25mg tablets, a 50mg tablet + a 25mg tablet = 75mg

However, you don't have the 25mg tablets.

As you decreased from 100mg to 50mg, you might cut a 100mg tablet into quarters and add a quarter (25mg) to your 50mg tablet.

Did you ever take Effexor? That is a close relative of Pristiq. If you did not have an adverse reaction to Effexor, you might want to add 37.5mg Effexor XR to your 50mg Pristiq, stabilize until withdrawal symptoms go away, and taper by taking out the beads of Effexor, see Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

If that goes well, when you get down to 50mg Pristiq, you might switch to Effexor to taper the rest of the way.

I hope your doctor is now aware of the difficulties in tapering Pristiq.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Firstly I'd like to say a really big thank you to the people who have assisted me since I started here.  It is very much appreciated and you seem to understand that when we first get here we may not be thinking clearly and able to take in what we need to in order to help ourselves.  Your patience is a real blessing.

Reinstated yesterday by taking an additional 50 mg tablet at about 4 pm after Fresh (a big thank you) sent me Altostrata's video.  It made so much sense and helped me to understand the information I had been reading.

Took 50 mg at normal time this morning and then middle of the day took another 50 mg.

I don't think it is my imagination, but I don't feel as fuzzy headed today.  In fact I did my Luminosity brain training and got some brilliant scores.

I'm taking a Magnesium (chelated) 500 mg capsule morning and night (hope this will help with the spasms).

I'll be cutting my 100 mg into 4 from now on so I can take 75 mg.

I now accept that this is going to be a slow and steady race.

Thanks again.

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again,

Pleased to say that I called in to the compounding pharmacy this afternoon and they are familiar with Pristiq and the tapering issues. 

The cost is okay and I can take in my own tablets for them to do with the slow release additive.  I also bought Fish Oil and Vitamin E and I was blessed with them both being on really good special!!!  I didn't bother buying a pill cutter because I will put the cost of one of them towards the compounding cost.

Last 2 days I have taken approx 75 mg and have been feeling much better than I was.  No fuzzy head and I have a sense of humour, too.  I'm hoping I won't have to go up any higher.

QUESTION/S:  Should I get some of the 100 mg tablets made into 25 mg capsules and if so, what quantity?

Should I get the balance made into 12.5 mg capsules?

OR    Would it be better to get them all made into 12.5 mg capsules and take 2 of them + 50 mg?

I appreciate your help with this.  Thank you.

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great news that you're starting to feel better CC.    My suggestion re compounding is to get a

couple of quotes so you can choose the best.

To determine what you'll want , you need a rough idea of your tapering schedule.  After this hiccup , you

might want to wait 6 to 8 weeks at 75mg to get stable before reducing further.

So you'll want 25mg x 1 x 60 days = 60 caps (to supplememt the 50mg tabs).

The suggested decrease of 10% brings your next drop from 75mg to 67.5mg.    This will be hard to make

up with only 25's or 12.5's.

If you get some 10mg's , you could make up the 67.5 with a 50 and two 10's , by taking 2.5mg out of a 10mg

(you need scales for weighing , tip some out of the capsule and pop the top back on).

(I've had a bunch of 10's , 5's and 2.5's made to make fine-tuning easier.)

So , 30 days at 67.5mg needs 2 x 10mg x 30 = 60

Your next drop would bring you to approx. 60mg , etc.

I hope that makes sense . . . that's how I estimated what I'll be needing.

Bear in  mind that the capsules expire after 6 months , they can't guarantee the efficacy.

:)  

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fresh,

Thanks for that, and the heads up about them expiring after 6 months.

You seem to have set it out well, but at the moment I can't quite get my head around it so I'll print it out and read it when I feel "fresher".  I told you my sense of humour had returned.  It feels such a relief.

Cheers, CC

• Moderator Emeritus

Great that you are feeling better. I would just like to add that stabilising is not a linear process so don't be surprised if there are still some waves.

In particular, don't challenge your decision to updose then ;) The fact that you felt better means it was a good one and waves are an expected part of the process.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

No worries CC.

Further thoughts:     It'll be heaps cheaper to invest $3:50 in a pill-cutter than using compounded capsules .

While you're on higher doses , you can get a pretty accurate dose cutting it yourself.  A jewellers' scale on ebay

costs about $30 , and is a good investment.

It gets much trickier as the dose gets lower and the pristiq crumbles and turns to dust.  I didn't have problems  

until I got down to  37.5mg.

It might be better (and more cost effective) to cut and weigh it yourself for the next few months.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

bubble:  Yes, it makes a nice change to feel more normal.  The difference from last week is amazing.  And thanks pointing out that I may have waves.  It's good to remember.

Fresh:  $3.50 for a pill cutter???  The cheapest I saw was about $8 at the chemist.  The better one held the tablets and they were $10.  Or have did you get one from a "cheapie" shop?  I'll see how I go since I've only been on the cut tablet for a few days and haven't worked out if I need the slow release additive.  At least I won't have to add Effexor to the mix.  Now I have a better understanding of what I need for tapering, I'll go back to the compound pharmacy and get a more accurate price for the smaller weight capsules so I don't keel over when I have to get them made up.  But it will be worth it.

Cheers everyone.

CC

• Administrator

Good to hear you're feeling better, Chessie.

You may wish to take half of a magnesium capsule 4 times a day -- it's absorbed better at lower doses taken more frequently.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Altostrata,

Thanks for the advice (and the great website and support).  I can remember reading that about magnesium somewhere.  Much appreciated.

BTW I am still feeling good.  Just have a very slight "stressy" feeling every now and then when I realise I have been breathing lightly.

I spent the day with a very dear friend and throughout the day I explained to her about ADs and WD.  She has a wide network of people she comes into contact with and at some stage in the future might find the information helpful for someone.

It was also good for me to be able to talk with someone who has known me since high school and knows my life history.  We had a laugh and I had a bit of a cry (more of tears welling up) but as she said it was a safe environment and she understood.

I hope everyone else is managing okay.

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear you are feeling better and have good friends

Dalsaan

Another Aussie

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Gooday Mate (Dalsaan),

And yes, I can say that at the moment.  Thank you for your good wishes (and the help you give on the forum too).

I told my girlfriend that I am not taking that I feel better for granted.  I am enjoying it, whilst being aware that it may not remain that way (thanks to bubble's reminder), but after feeling so miserable for so many months (and worse in the last couple of weeks) I am not going to waste the good feeling by dreading what may (or may not) happen.

Living in the now!!!

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

Having at least one understanding, supportive person in your life, if you go through withdrawal is such a blessing, so I'm happy to hear you have such a good friend CC.

I would think you can be fairly confident you are over the worst of the symptoms now, you updosed within a short time and started to feel better almost immediately, then quickly got into a routine of taking the same amount every day and continued to feel better. This is a good indication that your nervous system hadn't been impacted too badly by the changes.

I'm fairly certain, that apart from a few minor fluctuations, you will probably be fine from now on, if you stay on the same dose, taken regularly for at least a month, and then taper carefully using the 10% or less method.

As you mentioned in a previous post, you're not sure if you want to taper all the way off or stay at 50mg. You might want to hold off with making that decision for now and just start tapering very carefully when you are ready, and see how it goes. Any decrease in dosage you are able to make without too much disruption to your life is a step in the right direction and while you are able to keep taking those slow steps in the right direction, you might find you just want to keep going.

I'm so glad you found us when you did :)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Glad you are feeling better CC.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Petunia

Thanks for the encouragement.  I've worked out my plan to taper to 50 mg.  I haven't thought past that because at the moment I don't need to.  And yes I agree wholehearted, I am very, very thankful that I found the site when I did.  It could have ended up so much worse BUT it didn't so it's all good.

Hi nz11

Thanks.  It's amazing what a difference it can make to your outlook on life.  And thankfully it happened very quickly. I keep mentally shaking my head almost unable to believe it and how fortunate I've been.

BTW I have worked out what I want compounded and have sent out about 6 emails to compounding pharmacies for a quote.  It will be interesting to see if they get back to me.  At least there isn't any urgency and I've got a few weeks up my sleeve although I do need to be aware that Christmas is just around the corner.

Something I did realise today was that when we start our next taper we also need to be prepared to hold off a bit if our life situation isn't suitable at the time.

As always, I hope other peeps are doing okay.

CC

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

When you feel up to it ,  pop into the Australia room (in the Relationships section).

There's currently a class action law suit being organized for people who have experienced

adverse effects from taking or stopping antidepressants.  Details of who to contact are there.

Spot on about holding off a decrease until things are calm.  

A few of us are holding off our next drop until after Christmas . . . something to consider.

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Sounds like you are doing great, Chessie!

I'm so pleased for you! Long may it continue!

Tilly x

• Moderator Emeritus

Starting to understand how frustrating this can be, but only if we let it.

Over the last few days I've been doing things around the house (not a lot, not heavy stuff and not all at once) and by lunchtime today I was really starting to feel whacked.  Definitely more physically than anything else, just don't seem to have much strength.  Then I started trying to work out what is causing it.

I think it is actually a combination of a few things, of course including wd but also that over the last few months I haven't really done much physical stuff.  Sunday I cleaned the toilet, hand basin and mirror, Monday I did a heap of washing up (throughout the day) and also cleaned the shower (I am smart and take a stool in to sit on to clean the bottom half) and Tuesday I've washed and hung out 3 loads.  It doesn't seem like much, and normally it wouldn't be but for me at the moment, unfortunately, it is.  I ended up going and have about 1&1/2 hours sleep (I was awake during the night) and have since got the washing in.  Only thing I now have to do is make my bed, and I am NOT going to turn my mattress.  At least it's warm here, so no heavy/thick bed covers to manage.

And now I just have to relent and ask the question (which I was trying very hard not to):

Is this "normal"?

Thanks peeps, hope you are all doing well in your own circumstances.

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again,

I've just been checking out the Best of SA in Off-topic and found this video:

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery/Antydepresanty

Wow, it explains it in such a simple, visual way (I included it as a link so you can go straight there).  Well worth a look and very short to watch.

CC

ChessieCat,

Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement on my thread. Much appreciated !.  :)

To answer , your question. Yes, most of these symptoms are " normal " in withdrawal.  I have found the lack of energy , to be a " big one ".

Thanks for the video.  It does a good job, of summing it up !

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi AliG, thanks for your comment.  I appreciate you stopping by.

I didn't take any fish oil or magnesium yesterday morning so that may have contributed to the problems.  Just a thought.

Managed to get my bed made just before bedtime.  I was determined I was going to sleep in bed properly, not just lie on a blanket and throw another blanket over the top.

I took them last night and have woken up feel "reasonable" (as in better than I did yesterday but top half of my upper arms are a bit tender when I raise my elbows as if I am about to fly - which probably looks funny - no, I'm not videoing it :P ).

Today is a "mental" day, not a physical day so it will give my brain some exercise but my body should be able to have a rest.  Need to get back to some more housework tomorrow.

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Chessie! Wow!  You just got here, and you're already posting positive support on other people's threads - welcome!  You are a breath of fresh air - and I'm thrilled that you got to us before it got so bad.

What is it with doctors and the "every other day" thing?  Geez!  That seems common as dirt, especially here in Oz!  I could make a crude comparison to in-out-in-out doing rude things to our brains, but I will only allude to that.

It sounds like you are stabilizing - you've battened down the hatches for the coming storm.  Well done! Every time you make a change in the drugs, it bounces your brain like  a basketball.  If you keep making changes, the ball will keep bouncing.  You are wise to hold still for awhile before making any more adjustments.  Then you can try to "sneak away from the wolf," as I say it.  If you run from a wolf - it will chase you.  If you try to get away from the drugs too fast - they are likely to show you fangs and glowing eyes.  But if you sneak, when the wolf isn't looking (small tapers) you can be far far away before the wolf knows you've left!  I am a big fan of holding, too - any reason is a good reason to hold.

"I don't feel right," "I didn't sleep well," "Relatives are coming over," "My cat is sick," and - most of all, "I'm still having withdrawal symptoms."  Sometimes it takes the brain about 3 weeks to "catch up" to a small taper.

While Fresh and NZ say:

No amount of CBT will relieve the withdrawal symptoms.

I must add - that CBT will help you with coping skills.  Like you say, it's a practice, and when you have your "practice jar" full, it helps give you more tools to deal with horrible symptoms.  (but I'll bet you know that).  CBT skills - when practiced and developed - will help you get through the symptoms.  

But they won't change them. If someone is in the throes of withdrawal, you can't just say, "try CBT" and expect it to help.  It's a "building up over time," thing.  Or, as I say, "a practice." 

and oh - are you anywhere near Hornsby?  There's an A+ Qi Gong practitioner there.  If I were anywhere near, I'd join her class in a heartbeat!  Her name is Jenny McFadden, and she is very earthy, and her routines are healing, wise and helpful - like this one:

https://youtu.be/Z0mtlnNOcoA

BTW I have worked out what I want compounded and have sent out about 6 emails to compounding pharmacies for a quote.  It will be interesting to see if they get back to me.  At least there isn't any urgency and I've got a few weeks up my sleeve although I do need to be aware that Christmas is just around the corner.

I am really happy with my compounder.  He does not have a brick-and-mortar office, he has a lab in his home on the Gold Coast, so low overhead, good prices.  He ships his prescriptions out. postage included.  He is very good at asking questions about what you need.  He compounds my thyroid with glutamine and Vitamin C to help my gut.  He will add in my microdoses of lithium later.  (though, as a misplaced Yank, it grates me to pay him $xx for something which costs $5 back in the USA)

Anyhow, here's his contact info (while you are getting quotes): 

Ian Owles

Australia Online Compounding Chemist

http://www.australiancompoundingchemist.com.au

10 Kosciusko Crescent

Southport, QLD 4215

07 3040 1960

0422 64 3378

And - from one cat lady to another - Welcome to SA!  I am owned by one crazy gray cat (brilliant post by NZ!)  That's not her in my profile pic, but it could be.  She was on antidepressants for awhile, too - and now has post-antidepressant stress and anxiety disorder.  Sheesh.  That's definitely a first world problem, eh?

Welcome! 

Edited by ChessieCat
changed video to link

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!