SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

uncomfortablynumb: withdrawal symptoms or anxiety / depression

uncomfortablynumb

• Moderator Emeritus

As uncomfortable as it is, six weeks is a relatively short time.  Your CNS has been through a lot, and therefore needs a lot of time to repair and stabilise.  Just keep everything as stable as possible because this helps it to recover better, and especially don't give it another SSRI.  It's a waiting game (and I know that's not easy).  I've read on s/a many times how people regretted trying to treat w/d symptoms with further meds. 

This week I've been having some success learning to go off to sleep by meditating.  In fact I'd say it's the most useful sleep tool I've found so far (though my sleep issues have only been minor).  I do it by imagining myself in any other part of my body than my head, then I imagine floating off along the ocean then out into space, just drifting, with each part of me relaxed and floaty.  I keep myself in my body rather than my head because that seems to stop bothersome thoughts happening.

Hang in there...

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uncomfortablynumb

• Mort81

• Altostrata

• Mirthazard

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Numb my weakness/fatigue I think was caused by a few things. I wasnt able to eat food for 3 months and lost tons of weight. I also wasn't sleeping well and I tried to save my job so I was regularly attending work during the first 5 or 6 months. It was also a physically demanding job. Also the stress and suffering of not knowing what was going on completely broke me down. Seeing all the doctors and tests and just watching my life fall apart basically. I think I hit a hard wall. I still stress out about not being able to attend work and perhaps losing my Job. I also sometimes stress out about what people think and all types of life situations. I think if I let go of all those attachments I will heal faster.

I dont know what to say about the sleep thing because for me leaving work allowed me to sleep. I no longer had to wake up at 7 am so even if i didn't sleep for 24 hours I would be okay to sleep for the whole day. I only started to sleep than maybe 7 months into WD because I slept at all hours of the day. Picking up sleep whenever I could. I am assuming when I start to gain strength and feel better I can than begin to push myself to do things off no sleep. Do you still have a schedule with clients or other things? Or can you sleep during the day if you need too? Or you can't sleep at all?

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Hi Mort,

Sorry for the delay - had a super-rough week. I am not working now and don't have a schedule. Sleep was impossible. I just couldn't fall asleep no matter how hard I tried. I was getting sicker and sicker from lack of sleep and was dry-heaving regularly. I had to give in and try the Remeron. It worked and totally makes you feel drunk. Now I have to figure a way to get off this slowly.

I am scared my sleep has been totally screwed. And now I wonder how I am going to recover and be drug-free. :(

2006-15 Effexor on and off mostly on. Also tried drugs that didn't work; notriptyline, Celexa, Zoloft, Welbutrin, Abilify, Pristiq, Cymbalta. Weaned off Effexor for last time quickly (2015) - horrible depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
Remeron (2016) helped wd symptoms. 
2017 - tapered off Rem over a few mths. Horrible wd symptoms with insomnia. Reinstating Remeron fail. For wd insomnia tried: Trazodone, Elavil, Gabapentin, Seroquel, Doxepin, Valium. Failed. 2mg Ativan at bed intermittent use 4mth.
CT Ativan - off all meds June '17.  Recovered by Oct '17 - well for a yr.
Oct '18-now. Major stresses, drank alcohol. In hell -insomnia, dp/dr, head pressure, anhedonia, no emotions, blank mind.
May/June '19 - 16 doses Rem CT, 10 doses 2mg Ativan. CT

Recovered Oct 2020-June 2022 - fully functional, working.  Only left with head pressure.

Major stresses - mainly financial, living space, relationship - severe insomnia, severe anxiety, depression, dp/dr, emotional numbness, blank mind

Sept 2022 - for sleep - took 8 doses of 15mg Remeron, 3 doses of 7.5mg, 3 doses of 3.75mg, 3 doses of 1.875mg

No problem Numb I had a horrible week myself even has me thinking of reinstating again. Are you gonna stay on the Remeron to stabilize? If it worked I guess thats great. Sleep is so important.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Hey Mort,

Sorry to hear you had a terrible week as well. What are you experiencing? You are thinking of reinstating after this far out?

I really don't know what the long term plan is with the Remeron. It is helping with sleep now. But I need to get back to healthy functioning. There must be some people in the same boat. I would like to know what the best plan of action would be now.

2006-15 Effexor on and off mostly on. Also tried drugs that didn't work; notriptyline, Celexa, Zoloft, Welbutrin, Abilify, Pristiq, Cymbalta. Weaned off Effexor for last time quickly (2015) - horrible depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
2017 - tapered off Rem over a few mths. Horrible wd symptoms with insomnia. Reinstating Remeron fail. For wd insomnia tried: Trazodone, Elavil, Gabapentin, Seroquel, Doxepin, Valium. Failed. 2mg Ativan at bed intermittent use 4mth.
Oct '18-now. Major stresses, drank alcohol. In hell -insomnia, dp/dr, head pressure, anhedonia, no emotions, blank mind.

Recovered Oct 2020-June 2022 - fully functional, working.  Only left with head pressure.

Major stresses - mainly financial, living space, relationship - severe insomnia, severe anxiety, depression, dp/dr, emotional numbness, blank mind

Sept 2022 - for sleep - took 8 doses of 15mg Remeron, 3 doses of 7.5mg, 3 doses of 3.75mg, 3 doses of 1.875mg

Thanks Numb, I had bad Askathesia and it ramped up all my other symptoms. So my gut was wrecked and I had no strength to walk . Loud ringing in my ears , dizzyness you name it. I was housebound all week pretty much. I was thinking of reinstating 1mg but I am too terrified of a negative reaction .I can handle what is being thrown at me now , sure Im not functional yet but I dont think I can handle anything worse. Sure enough today I woke up feeling better than I have in awhile. Took a long walk to the park and sat in the sun for half an hour. So hopefully a nice bright big window is opening up.

There are lots of people in both our situations right now and its never an easy decision what to do because we are so fragile., I think if the remeron is working for you than maybe stay on it for a while too see if you can stabilize on it . Maybe just the small dose will work .If your sleep has improved already thats a good sign. What dose are you on ? Did it help relieve any other symptom or just the sleep ? I dont know much about it . Im assuming most AD are somewhat similiar .

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Uncomfortablynumb,

Not getting enough sleep can really mess with you huh? 

Remeron is an anti-depressant, and as such it needs careful tapering just like all the others - so it might complicate things for you long-term.  How you stop it will depend on how much Remeron you've taken.   Updating your signature with these details will help us figure the next steps. 

Sometimes we have to just 'ride-out' sleep issues or use whatever non-drug methods give us a little relief.  Your sleep will not be permanantly 'screwed', it will heal as the rest of you does.   

My feeling is that your body has been through so much up-and-down-dosing that your final drop to 0 was too much for it, and so you've had horrible w/ds.  For that reason you might consider reinstating Effexor.  At about 7 weeks out, reinstatement could go either way - good results or bad.  You could re-read the reinstatement thread and see what you think about reinstating a very small amount which might help to relieve your symptoms.  No guarantees.

If that doesn't seem like a good idea, the best you can do is to build up all the non-drug methods you can and ride this out. 

Have a mull over it all, and let us know what you think,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Hi Mort,

You seriously go through definite windows and waves. A tease, but hope. Glad you had a window and got out after a rough week. Remeron only helped for sleep and nothing else. And it isn't great sleep bc you wake up so groggy and more dizzy through most of the day.

Hi Karen,

It was brutal and severe insomnia. It became a desperate situation. I took 15mg for two nights and went down to 7.5m for a night. The plan is to get off it.

I tried reinstating 37.5mg of Effexor a couple of weeks ago with no immediate relief. I only did it for a day. I gave up. Maybe I should have gone with a lower dose. What do you think? Not sure what to do.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hiya uncomfortablynumb ,    

If you continue the remeron you'll still have w/d symptoms from effexor , and you'll have another med to taper.

Have you read the thread on reinstating?   The recommended starter dose is 1-2mg , to see how you tolerate it.

A big dose like 37.5 could well give you a whole new bunch of symptoms from being too much.  

You need to give the reinstatement at least 4-7 days on that dose , then think about increasing if need be. That's the safe way to do it.  

See 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

and

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Best wishes ,  Fresh

(Btw , at 7 weeks out the chance of it being successful is excellent , and you could be saving yourself

months , perhaps years , of recovery time.)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Karen, It was brutal and severe insomnia. It became a desperate situation. I took 15mg for two nights and went down to 7.5m for a night. The plan is to get off it. I tried reinstating 37.5mg of Effexor a couple of weeks ago with no immediate relief. I only did it for a day. I gave up. Maybe I should have gone with a lower dose. What do you think? Not sure what to do.

Hey Numb,

That's a particularly tough situation you've been in.  Regarding the Effexor, I think it would be worth reinstating a small amount- as Fresh said maybe 1-2mg, and give it 4 days minimum to take effect.  If it does work then your sleep will hopefully settle a little along with the rest of your symptoms. 

I'm going to ask another mod to advise on the Remeron.

Hang in there, we'll find a way through it.

KarenB

8 month hold.

• Administrator

I am not going to follow the 10% drop rule. Hopefully that decision doesn't bite me in the ass. Does this just lessen withdrawal suffering or does it slow the remodelling process?

Welcome, UncomfortablyNumb.

Sleep disruption is a very, very common consequence of going off psychiatric drugs too fast. As Petunia suggested, you might go back on a very small amount of Effexor, even 10 beads, to reduce this symptom.

Sleep problems alone may have a lot to do with your current symptomology.

As for the depression and sluggishness, my intuition is that you have a metabolic problem, possibly related to some extreme supplementing or other practice. If I were you, I'd review all the supplements, vitamins, etc. that you take and gradually minimize them to eliminate confounding factors.

If you have been prone to taking stimulating substances, they could not only be putting your system into overdrive but contributing to your sleep problems.

This can also be a consequence of taking antidepressants for a long time and going on and off drugs many times. The nervous system is not made of rubber, it gets fatigued.

Given you are very experienced with self-discipline, I believe that if you focus on gently nurturing your nervous system, you will gradually recover. Being gentle is essential -- no extreme supplementing. Get your nutrition from food. Don't try to push your body in a particular direction.

I decided to reinstate the 37.5mg. Maybe I should have gone with less because I am feeling crappy and like a zombie anyway.

I did reinstate but for only one day. It made me feel even more horrid so I backed out. Ughh. Do you think some symptoms might ease anytime soon?

uncomfortablynumb, you are experiencing the results of going off Effexor too fast.

We've given you this topic to read several times About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Also read What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

My guess is your best bet now is to reinstate 10 beads of Effexor XR, as soon as possible. The 37.5mg you took before was too strong for you.

I would stop experimenting with other drugs such as Remeron. This is making the uproar in your nervous system worse.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Fresh, Karen and Alto - thanks for your time and care. If you can help me through this I will be eternally grateful. Feeling very lost and scared. My depression and anxiety are severe. I can hardly function. Thoughts and feelings seem non-existent. I can't socialize - I have been silenced. It is so uncomfortable! I can't even cry for release.

I am desperate to get better. Doc wants to try diff meds or a cocktail or TMS. I don't want to go that route. The unknown side effects and poop-out are big problems. Not to mention withdrawal. So, I am going to reinstate the Effexor at 10 beads. I was only on Remeron for 4 days, last 2 days at 7.5mg. Should I drop to 3.75mg or stop?

• Moderator Emeritus

You could drop to 3.75mg for one day and then stop, or just stop now. I don't think its going to make a great deal of difference. Your nervous system has been shaken up by all these changes and its going to take a while to settle down again. It may also take a while to stabilize on the 10 beads, you will need to be patient.

Please read through the links Alto posted for you, so you know what to expect.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

How long should it take to know if adding the 10 beads will help to settle down my symptoms? What do I do if that fails?

• Moderator Emeritus

I would give it a couple of weeks and start with the assumption that it will work. Exploring the prospects of failure isn't productive. You add stress to your nervous system and undermine your chances of stability. This provides you with a good opportunity to practice managing your thoughts rather than letting them run free to whatever dark place they care to take you.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Like Dalsaan says , you'll need to give it a few weeks.  

Bear in mind you've just had a Remeron assault , and that takes a while to recover from too.

It takes 4 days for the Effexor to get to a steady-state in your blood stream.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I would give it a couple of weeks and start with the assumption that it will work. Exploring the prospects of failure isn't productive. You add stress to your nervous system and undermine your chances of stability. This provides you with a good opportunity to practice managing your thoughts rather than letting them run free to whatever dark place they care to take you.

Dalsaan

I agree., do this meditation as many times as you need to or find others that work for you if this one doesn't deep states of relaxation ... this was the first step to my recovery the first iota of a hint of healing... 

If it does not work you will decide from that point what to do give wks at least it takes a long to get stable. 

If all else fails you can survive cold turkey it is hell yes it is but it did not kill me so chances are it won't kill you that is the worst for those who need to know it so they can move on. 

now watch that video 

I wish you peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey UN

I was a fitness trainer for a year, too! Back in the 90's.  I was corporate - worked for a corporation with a gym, setting up programs for employees to reach their goals - whether it was bodybuilding, weight loss, or stress reduction.  A little more flexible than the traditional personal trainer.  I don't think I could do the relentless personal trainer gig - it's like being a "slave with a smile!" - but I have a dear friend in the US who is an excellent mature-aged trainer who caters to different abilities and physiques quite nicely. 

A few things came to me while reading your thread.  The first that may be of help to you is this link:  Is It Withdrawal or Relapse? Or Something Else?

So, you had a day on 37.5 mg.  Please do us mods a favor and tidy up your signature.  Please give us the date you tried the 37.5 mg.  Please give us the dates that you tried the 7.5 mg Remeron.  And please tell us if you have indeed, reinstated 10 beads or 1-2 mg of Effexor.

If you have, how is that working for you?  Please let us know?  Not only does it help us to help you - but it helps us to help others when we see, case after case, what works, what doesn't, and to maybe parse out the whys and wherefores of it.

Mort wrote on your thread:

So I thought that if your near me you could see this Pychologist because he is very aware of all the issues we face on here and  he could provide a diagnosis for your Doctors so that everyone is on the same page and treating your symptoms as WD.

This is actually quite wise advice, and has been key to my ability to convince my p-doc to reduce my drugs.

My psychologist can write wise, professional letters about my progress, and rave about how well I am doing on reduced drugs (and she does write these things on my behalf), and what can the p-doc do?  Here is a professional opinion which states I'm doing "so well" that the p-doc complies with what I request.

In your case, having a psychologist who believes in withdrawal (my psychologist read "Mad In America" and went to hear Whitaker speak personally!), can help him/her make a case to your prescriber about "drugs too stimulating" or "withdrawal."  Hearing it from a professional is quite different for the p-doc than to hear it from the patient who "read something on a website." It's hard for p-docs to get around the substantialness and in-depth nature of SA, so they often blow off this thing called "Peer support."  My own P-doc looked at a thing I brought her from Will Hall, and said, "who is this guy?  Just some guy?  What are his qualifications?" while I stammered something about peer support (Will has since gotten qualifying degrees) as she sneered.

Having any professional on your side, in your team - even if they are not a prescriber - is amazingly helpful.

Please see:  What Should I Expect From My Doctor About Withdrawal Symptoms? to see what other SA'rs have experienced with their doctors.  Prescribers are trained in schools which have been bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical industry, and they have been wined, dined, and gotten their CME credits from the same.  They really believe they are doing what is best for you, but also tend to discount you in the process.

You asked Mort:

How was your anxiety and depression before meds? Mine was due to stress from university. and Mort answered:

And Mort answered:

I think alot of young people get misdiagnosed  . Its not easy fitting in or trying to figure out your life when your 16-30 . 

...and I think there is greater pressure to figure it out and "succeed" than ever before.  It is harder to climb the ladder than it was in the 50's, 60's and 70's, and so many people  - even with university degrees - are stuck in underemployment.  But that's politics….

Many of us have some form of spiritual emergency at university.  It is the first time in our life that we are on our own as far as our identity and choices are concerned, and sometimes it can be overwhelming.  Additionally, it seems that Gen X, Y and Z are less well prepared for the independence that university requires https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201509/declining-student-resilience-serious-problem-colleges

But even before these Gens, the "spiritual emergency" of university independence threw many of us Baby Boomers into the psych system, too.  You are lucky it stopped at "anxiety and depression." (many get documented with "psychosis.") The dangerous side of these - is that most of these emergencies are about skills that need to be learned - and if you are numbed on the drugs, the lessons about living, identity and independence get stifled - and you will still need to learn them as you come off the drugs.

Again, please let us know if you have done a reinstatement, and how that is working for you.  You may be surprised at how a little of the "hair of the dog that bit you" will take the edge off of symptoms.

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

btdt - thanks for the meditation thing.  If it can help at all with sleep that would be great.  

JanCarol - I agree, it would be better to have a doctor experienced with withdrawal problems.  It would feel more reassuring.   

Questions - I cannot fall asleep.  For the last two months I have not had much sleep at all.  What can I do?  Is my "sleep center" destroyed?   I don't know how long I can go without sleep.  Not sure if I can die.  But my functioning is diminishing by the day.  Please help.  

My vision and hearing is altered.  It is kind of like being in a fishbowl.  I noticed this the most hearing running water.  Throws the balance off. Is this depersonalization?  Nerve damage?  Both?  Do I need to see a neurologist or get MRI or EEG

Another question - Does the ability to feel joy, genuinely smile,laugh,cry and love come back? If you experienced this loss of emotion, how long until you felt signs of it returning?

Hey Numb I dont think anything is destroyed , its just on vacation and your battling through it . The sleep has to come back. It will do so probably slowly. I hope sooner rather than later but I cant guarantee its soon. What I can guarantee is that it will come back at some point.  The hearing or visual disturbances seem common around here. I have  tinnutus come and go , it sounds like a T.V is left on and I hear the static fairly loudly. I got lots of vertigo that comes and goes as well . DP i have read around here is quite common aswell . All these things fade in time, If a test would make you feel better to rule things than go for it. 

The ability to laugh , cry and feel emotions comes back . For me I have latley started to be able to experiece way more happy emotions. I had a horrible month but the last week has been my best to date. I wasnt even thinking about WD the last 4 days or so. Everything comes back ! Hang in there numb , everyday brings you closer to feeling better.

What Mort says about is all true..... sleep is a good thing and something we don't appreciate like we should till we don't have it.

My experience.... 

@ 4 days with no sleep I would get a bit crazy but by the 4th day my system would usually give out and I would sleep. Now there are many other things between sleeping well and 4 days with no sleep. 

Advice if you can't sleep lay down and let your body rest it is almost as good as sleep ... don't stress about it there isn't a thing you can do about it anyway and I doubt anyone has ever died from lack of sleep unless it had something to do with the going mad around day 4 bit....

if you there the mad day 4 bit write back... 

if your not there yet 

your still good stressing about it helps nothing and just makes your life worse... try not to stress if that means watching relaxation videos constantly ... hey there are worse things... 

look up tapping here and try that too. 

there is one on utube called tapping for insomnia

I wish you peace

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

Hi Mort and btdt,

I have gone 4 days with an hour of sleep or two. In a week, I will get a handful of hours of sleep. This has been going on since October. The Remeron did put me to sleep well at 15mg but I felt so groggy.

Mort, thanks for your reassurance. I wish I was where at your point in recovery. It is good your vertigo comes and goes. I am constantly dizzy. I am like a broken record and can only really talk about the suffering.

Btdt,

Where are you in recovery now btw?

• Moderator Emeritus

Numb,

Things have gotten slightly better, though still far from where I was prior to medications.  I believe part of it is actual cognitive issues directly related to the medication and part of it is caused by the ensuing anxiety and depression.  I would even say that most of my anxiety and depression is being driven by my cognitive issues.  As a distraction from it, I started using a App called Elevate which has various games that are supposed to develop and maintain overall cognitive abilities. 

IHadPassion, I can totally relate to what you wrote.   I used to be a Sudoku addict several years ago, while on meds, and even then I felt my brain just didn't work right.  I recently took it up again, on a site where you could check yourself against everyone else.  I came up with 87% of players doing better than me, over and over!

I used to work in a lab, haven't for about four years, but my husband does and a couple of months ago he let me help him one weekend.  It was a matter of counting cells on a slide using a microscope.  I had so much trouble keeping track of what I had already counted, it took me about 10 times longer to get the job done than it took him!  It was really kind of frightening!  I told him perhaps I ought not do this!

I raise sheep and work them with my dogs.  One evening I threw hay out in several piles and the sheep came up to eat, milling around, changing which pile they were eating from.  I wanted to count them, but simply couldn't organize in my mind who I had already counted and had to give up.  They do not all look alike, BTW, different sizes and colors rather than all being uniform. This probably would have been hard for well people, too, but it caused me such confusion, I felt like I was getting mired in tar mentally!  The only way I can count my sheep is to run them single file through a sorting gate!

I certainly feel my vision has gotten way worse, more so than perhaps aging should cause, and my hearing is poor as well. I've read of people coming out of withdrawal declaring that they had such mental clarity, were able to see better, colors brighter, feeling better than they ever have in their life, and I am sure hoping that will be the case for me!  For all of us!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Im sorry about the sleep thing numb, it sounds like your sleep  is as heavy as my Gut pain was . I wish there was a magic solution but time is the only thing that will heal you unless reinstatement  works. Did  the effexor help ?  You may recover much quicker than me its very possible.  I know how you feel its so hard to ride the wave when things suck!  I always said and I still do say this , I wish I could speed up time !  

It seems like we all get hammered with about 10-20 symptoms but 1 or 2 stick out and can be draining pretty much disabling us! This will change throughout WD . Can you imagine if our docs knew or told us this could happen after long term use? would anybody ever take this stuff ? holy crap .

Btdt, Where are you in recovery now btw?

That is a really good question I don't know how to answer just now. If you were to read my thread you would see no antidepressant drug has passed my lips since Nov 17 2007 ;**** I missed an anniversary while I had not computer....8 years pill free now!  

What was that term wd sites debate... hmm I can't think if it just now it is only 5am been up since around 3 still my brain does not want to work yet. 

There is some terminology here to discuss but apparently I am unable to do that just now and will get back to you. 

One hour sleep in 4 days is one hours sleep... it all counts be sure to keep shooting for the deep relaxation... I can get more renewal from 30 min deep relaxation than I get from 4 hours of sleep. The first dawning of this came from not being able to tolerate light or sound... I have street noise to drown it out I put on a cd of the ocean thinking the monotony of it would be better the cars ect.... did a 45 degree thing on my painful back with pills the room was a dark as I could make it without tinfoiling the the windows... I had a mircrowavable heat pad on my spine cause it hurt .... ( I later learned in one of those now 404 articles I am famous for finding that heat on the spine increases norepinephrine in your body)  cool eh.   

That was the scene of my first break... real break almost inperceptable f.....wish I could spell I use to .. figure it out I have not patients yet still coming down off my prednisone deal ... should likely not even be on here ...good the bad the ugly I show up... thing I wanted to say... 

one more thing... 

if you really are too dizzy to walk... two things I found helpful 

baby's electorlite replacement they sell it at shoppers in 4 packs... yep I would have been the lady chugging outside the shoppers door like an addict... 

it is called pedialite 

thing two if your out and need to be not dizzy to get home...

childs gravol... 

I AM NOT A PILL ADVOCATE AND SUSPECT ANYTHING YOU PUT IN YOU WILL PAY FOR.... LOW LOW DOSE EVERYTING!

BUT since dizzy is your deal and this does help... there it is. take 1/4 of the child dose wait 30 min before taking any more... it took me years to get to a place where I could tolerate an entire child dose of gravol and now that is what I use when I am really puking type sick an adult dose is still unthinkable. 

It may help with sleeping some but don't push it ... do not push it your body is trying to heal this is just another type of antihistamine at a very low dose... 

antidepressants base drug it was developed from was an antihistamine... so this and benadryl any of them are playing with a bit of fire ... 

I have told a few people about this but I don't think they could be kids gravol where  they live it is cherry flavour and very tempting to gobble up. ....

I am not sure about the benadryl if you have tried it or not... but if you have ...maybe I should wait for you to say if you have or not... 

I will say when I was in the 4 day no sleep realm 1/3 bit of benadryl was what I did when I was getting too crazy losing reality.... cause of sleep deprivation and I always felt it set me back.. sure I got to rest but like rolling backwards down a hill ... I would just have to climb the hill again later... 

there I hope that is as clear as mud... think I need a nap 

peace

Had a car accident in 85

The reinstatement has not helped after a week. The insomnia is killing me. How can the brain heal when I am not sleeping? I can't fall asleep. Using tips to no avail I am not getting the sensation of nodding off.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi UC . . .did you get any relief from the 10 beads of effexor started on 4 December?

As you didn't have an adverse reaction , you might think about increasing the dose.  

It's okay to go up slowly , giving each updose a good week or so , till you find a level

that makes a dent in your symptoms.  Remember , 10 beads is a tiny amount.  I'd be going

up to 20 beads.

Fresh

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

How long do you updose? At what point do you deem an updose futile? I want to avoid prolonging the misery as much as possible.

• Moderator Emeritus

You'll notice the difference when it begins to kick in . . . it's different for everyone.

Of course you want to be better asap , we all do.  But you saw what happened when you took a too-big

dose , so we need to avoid that.  

This is the time to do ANYthing to distract yourself , to help the time pass.  And try to eat regularly , even if

you don't feel like it.  Your body needs all the nutrition it can get.

Many people find magnesium helpful for it's relaxing properties , have you tried that yet?

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Yes magnesium is good but in the stage your in grind it up and put it in water and sip it... too much mag can be as bad as none...or worse. 

This great idea came from Alto in the old days...;) 

Even when your not sleeping you can heal what needs to be healed... have you looked at the rubics cube idea of healing... I have searched for the video today and I cannot find it.. it is the best... maybe some other person can find it for you as it explains wd in the rubic sense that we all experience it as... 

Had a car accident in 85

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi all,

This is the video:  Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management