Sunset304 Amitriptyline tapering vs continuing benzo taper

Sunset304

Thank you Ali. . It is a joy

July 2011: CT all psych meds-450mg effexor, 300mg amitriptyline, 12mgK Reason: (completely ignorant) At hosp when cking for vitals talked into going back on a third of eachFeb 2012: Completed Effexor taper at an accelerated rate at Dr. insistence.Apr 2012: Began K taper Sept 2014: Held K taper at 1.5mg - Major abdom surg resulting in AB resistant spinal infection finally treated in November 2014 (3 recurrances) requiring the meds: dilaudid, nabilone, T3s CT after surgery by doctors so off all but T3s. In November reinstated on all plus added baclofen. By Sept 2015 off all surgery drugs.Sept 2015: Cut K to 1.375. Two weeks later cut to 1.25. Sxs not manageable so back to 1.375. Holding there on K taper and starting amitriptyline .Nov 5, 2015: Start of amitriptyline taper. Cut 5% = 5mg so at 95mg amitriptyline Dec 2: 87.5 mg De7: 82.5 Dec14: 80mgJan31/16: 77.5mg Feb2: 70mg holding as too weak to cope. May/16: Reduced K to 1.25 as in tolerance. <p>Jan 19/17 Decided to finish K then Amtrip. and now at 1mg.K. Will LT K from here.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sunset304

• Sarabera

• Altostrata

• brassmonkey

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Ali. This place is a joy even if I don't get out I can hear beautiful song birds thru my bedroom window

July 2011: CT all psych meds-450mg effexor, 300mg amitriptyline, 12mgK Reason: (completely ignorant) At hosp when cking for vitals talked into going back on a third of eachFeb 2012: Completed Effexor taper at an accelerated rate at Dr. insistence.Apr 2012: Began K taper Sept 2014: Held K taper at 1.5mg - Major abdom surg resulting in AB resistant spinal infection finally treated in November 2014 (3 recurrances) requiring the meds: dilaudid, nabilone, T3s CT after surgery by doctors so off all but T3s. In November reinstated on all plus added baclofen. By Sept 2015 off all surgery drugs.Sept 2015: Cut K to 1.375. Two weeks later cut to 1.25. Sxs not manageable so back to 1.375. Holding there on K taper and starting amitriptyline .Nov 5, 2015: Start of amitriptyline taper. Cut 5% = 5mg so at 95mg amitriptyline Dec 2: 87.5 mg De7: 82.5 Dec14: 80mgJan31/16: 77.5mg Feb2: 70mg holding as too weak to cope. May/16: Reduced K to 1.25 as in tolerance. <p>Jan 19/17 Decided to finish K then Amtrip. and now at 1mg.K. Will LT K from here.

• 3 months later...

I want to begin my amitriptyline taper again.  I've had my surgery and fairly well recovered.  I was considering using a compound pharmacy which would mean a confrontation with the doctor here who firmly believes in ADs and is firmly convinced I need to stay on and not only that but get on another so I'm thinking liquid titration.   The dry cutting using a scale was way too wicked for me and I've been through some wicked times over the last 5 or so years.  Would anyone be kind enough please to advise if they've done LT with amitrip?  Also if so, (total math idiot), the best youtube video to use.  The very SIMPLEST.  I have the syringe, beaker  and jars so ........ Please and thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

The easiest way is to put a tablet of "X" mg in "X" ml of water.

10 mg tablet? 10 mg water. Then you have a solution where 1 ml solution = 1 mg active ingredient. You then use your syringe to get the dose required.  Keep the liquid in the refrigerator and discard it after 4-5 days because you're not making the solution in a sterile environment so it's subject to molds and other contamination.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Sunset. I'm glad you've recovered from your surgery. I hope it went well. Sometimes it can take a while to settle after a destabilization like that , but as it's been a few months and  you're relatively symptom free then it's probably a good time to start your gentle taper.

Both of these links should help to explain the specifics of the liquid taper :

There is a video in this one that sets it out clearly :

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1099-tips-for-tapering-off-amitriptyline/

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions after reading , please don't hesitate to ask more questions here. We are only to happy to help. It can be a bit daunting in the beginning but once you get the hang of it , I'm sure you will be fine.

I hope it goes well.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone!  Its been awhile for sure.  Well I thought the surgery recovery was going well and then I developed a hematoma that to this day has not resolved and is causing other issues that continue to weaken me .  I purposely moved here knowing I'd probably be alone to fend myself so I knew what I was getting into and now constantly remind myself of that when I start feeling like the world walked out.  Most of mine did but nevertheless where I lived before was downright scary. I have some good news!  I've made some inroads with my kids.  I would have spent Christmas with them but I developed an infection that, despite trying every natural remedy I know, would not resolve without antibiotics (keflex) and my state of mind was pretty wicked until off them 3 days then my mood improved.  My tack with my kids has to present a mom who isn't a problem or sick as the one they spent so many years with.  Its kind of a pressure situation but its working.  Since I've restarted tapering I'm keeping a polite difference and timing contact around when I'm somewhat stable at least. 

I've decided, despite what everyone says here, to finish the K (1mg left) and then the amitrip (70mg).  Its a case of the devil you know.  The amitrip was really really bad and dangerous actually at times.  Anxiety in it wasn't the issue.  It was the s.ideation in depression.  Anyhooo......... that's me for now.  I intend to give myself a good year to get off the K and LT this last mg. I've not done LT but have ppl online who will help.  I want to thank everyone and I do mean everyone who has been so supportive and helpful.  See ya all when I get to finishing the amitrip.  Be well and quick healing is wished for all . :wub:

• Moderator Emeritus

LT = liquid taper?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Yes that's what I mean.......... Sorry I suppose I should have been clearer. :)