SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Rachel1963: Up and down symptoms

Rachel1963

Thanks Brass; I think it was the meds because I haven't had those thoughts since December 24. I saw my psychiatrist today and he said 'there is nothing else for you except electroshock therapy. I said is electroshock going to stop my withdrawals? He said no. I said my support group said it could be months before I feel better. He said that's right, be patient then. Stay at the 30 and wait. Or you could try 45. Up to you. Dismissed.

I called my nurse practitioner. Her boss, my family doctor, had told me to stay on mirt but go up to 45. I told her I don't really want to. She said she thinks I should stay st 30 as there are signs of improvement. She said you will need some therapy to help through the bad days. She said the drugs won't bring you back to feeling really good but the therapy might. I started to say my support group said they will but she just cut me off because she doesn't trust the Internet. My husband said don't you dare get est!!!! He said stay at 30 and within a few months you will be much better.

She's wrong isn't she?

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rachel1963

• KarenB

• AliG

• Hibari

Top Posters In This Topic

I will get a lot better when I'm more stable? And the bad days will go away or be much less right? You've told me that a lot.

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

It won't really help to go to 45 will it?

• Moderator Emeritus

No, it won't help.  Staying the course is what you need to do right now.  Changing doses to try and fix a wave is one of the things that gets people in more trouble.  It's horrible for you, but you'll get through it.  The wave will pass. 

So hard to see when you're in it, I know, but it will pass. 

Focus on your self-care - watch a nice movie (I google 'chick flicks!!), have a hot bath with epsom salts, sip water throughout the day, try some gentle yoga poses.  Whatever soothes you. 

More hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hugs back at you Karen! A little miracle happened! Yesterday I had the bash of symptoms in the night and and into the morning yesterday. After lunch they started to disappear and I felt fine and went to my quilting group and had the best time having yummy snacks and chatting with people just like my old self! Now here is the real miracle; so I was due for my bad day today after yesterday turned into a good one. I woke up clear headed without symptoms but after a bit a bad days started with the scratchy skin and funny tense feeling inside and I keep thinking to myself this is a bad day starting. Then the fog came over my vision and I was in it. The big lump came to my chest and my mood plummeted. My friend came over and I told him we aren't having a good day because the bad day is here and I'm going to be sad all day. We started to drive to where we were going and after about 45 minutes the lump in my chest just sort of left and my mood went from sad to happy just like that! And except for a few minutes about 5 pm it stayed up there! I still had the physical symptoms but even they were less! I was so ecstatic I called my husband in Hungary and I couldn't stop crying from happiness long enough to tell him what happened! I know they may go down again but I have had this first now! First time ever I was okay on my bad day! You said it would lessen and it did! Even the foggy head was not noticeable at times! I still can't believe it!!! I said to myself so many times if I could just make the bad days go away I could manage! It didn't completely go away but my mood was so much better!!! I knew something funny was up when I chuckled a couple of times to myself and had trouble deciding if I was having a bad day or not! Then it did its nosedive and I knew and then it did an about face and shocked me!!!! That has never happened!!!!!! This is a first!!! I was crying my eyes out with relief!!!!!!!!

And my friend and I were singing songs at the top of our lungs and laughing and making a tapering schedule for me of 5% every six months...it felt good to have a bad day feel so much less!

(((((((((((((((((HAPPY HUGS))))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Rachel, I loved reading about your windows shining through and how happy and relieved that made you feel!  Now you know you can survive the waves, right?  You can and will make it! 

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thanks Brass! Hugs to you too!

Thanks SG! I have hope back in my heart again...even thought I'm still frightened...

• Moderator Emeritus

So so happy for you Rachel - you can really start to enjoy things in your life now :D:P:):lol:  Singing is always a grand thing to do - and do you know it actually reduces our stress hormones? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hugs back at you Karen! A little miracle happened! Yesterday I had the bash of symptoms in the night and and into the morning yesterday. After lunch they started to disappear and I felt fine and went to my quilting group and had the best time having yummy snacks and chatting with people just like my old self! Now here is the real miracle; so I was due for my bad day today after yesterday turned into a good one. I woke up clear headed without symptoms but after a bit a bad days started with the scratchy skin and funny tense feeling inside and I keep thinking to myself this is a bad day starting. Then the fog came over my vision and I was in it. The big lump came to my chest and my mood plummeted. My friend came over and I told him we aren't having a good day because the bad day is here and I'm going to be sad all day. We started to drive to where we were going and after about 45 minutes the lump in my chest just sort of left and my mood went from sad to happy just like that! And except for a few minutes about 5 pm it stayed up there! I still had the physical symptoms but even they were less! I was so ecstatic I called my husband in Hungary and I couldn't stop crying from happiness long enough to tell him what happened! I know they may go down again but I have had this first now! First time ever I was okay on my bad day! You said it would lessen and it did! Even the foggy head was not noticeable at times! I still can't believe it!!! I said to myself so many times if I could just make the bad days go away I could manage! It didn't completely go away but my mood was so much better!!! I knew something funny was up when I chuckled a couple of times to myself and had trouble deciding if I was having a bad day or not! Then it did its nosedive and I knew and then it did an about face and shocked me!!!! That has never happened!!!!!! This is a first!!! I was crying my eyes out with relief!!!!!!!!

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

That's wonderful Rachel! I am very happy for you!

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

I had another bad day today. The foggy feelings, then feeling so sad about noon but starting to lift again at 2:30 so that about 5 pm I felt much better but this foggy head stays the whole day. This has now become my biggest symptom. I want my head to be clear so badly! It's even foggy 'looking down a tunnel' for a couple of hours on my good days. It's tiring. Sigh! Anyone else have this foggy feeling? It really really bothers me. If this was gone I would find the other symptoms manageable I think. Especially knowing the bad days are getting milder and shorter.

Christian how are you feeling?

Karen you're so sweet and awesome!

Christian how are you feeling?

I'll get there. Thanks for asking. The important thing is you are feeling better. Enjoy the window!

We will both get there. We have to hang in there and keep getting better a little at a time. "It can take months to stabilise but it will settle down. You will start to feel better. It will take time to be good as new but it can be done."

Another of my favourite quotes from here.

I like your caring spirit. You now are a member of my increasing by the day SA favorite list!

Thank you Christian. I am honoured! You're one of my faves too! :)

The wrong way to stabilise?

Okay something funny is happening and I would really appreciate some input. As you may know I have been having one clear-headed good day and then one horrible harrowing day where I was suicidal and suffering awful symptoms.

Well last week I started to notice that my bad days seemed a little less and my good days were not quite as good.

Well, the last three days have all become the same;

Foggy head upon waking

Starting to feel sad, just glum, not horrible.

And some physical symptoms too, like a few prickles or scratchy sensations.

Then about 1:30 the sadness mellows out again and I feel just bleh.

The physical symptoms tone down too.

The foggy head gets a little less but stays the whole day.

This is the first time I'm having a pattern. Is this normal? Is this the start of stabilising? And if so will I start to feel clear headed again soon? How come I didn't stabilise into the good days instead of the bad ones? I'm so confused :(

Or is this something worse? I'm a little frightened.

I think it's just normal ups and downs. Three days is too soon to call it a pattern. I'm sure it won't stick around. Don't forget you had an amazing day not that long ago, only on the 21st was it? So when you say your good days are not as good, maybe you're forgetting that they really ARE good.

And yeah, that foggy brain is the worst. I hate it so much. Just functioning through it and not worrying about it seems to be the best strategy.

Hope you get some more good days soon!

Trying to get off Paxil since 2007. Was tapering by 0.1 mg every 4-5 weeks. Had awful crash in November 2015 at .5 mg; updosed gradually to 2 mg. 

Doing better and tapering again, much slower this time.  2016: Dropped from 2 mg to 1.62 mg.  2017:  1.62 mg to 1.2 mg. 2018: 1.2 mg to .76 mg. 2019: .76 mg to .56 mg. 2020: .56 mg to .33 mg. 2021: .33 mg to .13 mg. 2022: .13 mg to .03 mg. 6/12/23 .002 mg. OFF PAXIL 9/4/23

Started Klonopin in November 2015 to deal with crash. 1/10/16 started milk titration taper from .5 mg. Finished taper 12/6/17. Still take Klonopin for agoraphobia 2 - 3 times a week. 

Hi Rachel. Please stay calm. It's windows and waves. Have another read through this :

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

Panic, just exacerbates symptoms. I can understand how frightening this is , however it's completely normal in withdrawal. You will get through this with a little time and patience.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Okay thank you, I feel much better. And I am very happy that my bad days are not as bad. That makes me feel so hopeful.

There are very few people posting in the windows and waves pattern who are waiting to stabilise. The people here are off drugs a year or two with hardly any Windows. Isn't reinstatement faster than this? If I'm looking at not feeling better sooner shouldn't I just go off meds and then at least I will be accomplishing something. I feel so upset now after reading the Windows and waves stuff.

We will both get there. We have to hang in there and keep getting better a little at a time. "It can take months to stabilise but it will settle down. You will start to feel better. It will take time to be good as new but it can be done."

Another of my favourite quotes from here.

Will I really stabilise?

I'm so scared.

I agree with Karen. You actually sound like you are beginning to stabilize beautifully. It's going to be up and and down for a while but you are definitely on the right track. No need to go up; besides the risk of side effects, you would just have more to taper down from later. Hang in there, full stabilization will happen with time.

Take what you can get and keep moving through those bad days knowing as you heal they will get less and less! Fingers crossed you have more and more windows!

Hi Rachel,

Hang in there.  I too am tapering of Mirtazapine, was at 41.25 and now down to 11mgs.  I also am on bio identical hormones for menopause, so I understand that's in the mix.

I had a very foggy brain when I was coming down from 41.25, different times where I would be clear, then foggy, then clear, then foggy. 

A member of SA who has taken a break from the boards called Remeron/Mirtazapine the crying drug (she successfully got of Mirtazapine).  It is a very powerful medication. 

When I am in the peak of wave, I feel depressed, weepy, anxious and scared that I really am depressed.  BUT, that's not true.  Having gone through different patterns this past year, I know that it's all wd.  I know that because when I experience a window, and have had quite a few, I feel perfectly fine.

Take care of yourself the best that you can during a wave-there are lots of good people on this site who are full of wisdom. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rachel, you ok?  I'm here if you need to chat :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

I'm just so afraid that I won't stabilise.

Hey Rachel,

You just posted yesterday you were much better. You are getting better just a bad day. I haven't had one good day. My point is you are healing. Cheer up.