Rachel1963: Up and down symptoms

Rachel1963

I have a little plan formulating; to start a taper in January (giving my body lots of time to recover), and at no more than 10% of the dose every six-eight weeks. I sure don't want to be on this stuff the rest of my life, but I don't ever want to go through this experience again either.

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rachel1963

• KarenB

• AliG

• Hibari

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Good news, Rachel!  I'm glad you are stabilizing and not needing to be here so much!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rachel, glad things are going okay.

Just a question about what month you plan to start tapering - the post says January?

Either one or both of us is having a moment of w/d brain :P.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Yes I would like to start after Christmas. That will give about 9 months for everything to get better and stable.

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

I'm still having lots of symptoms, they are just more manageable is all.

What is bothering me the most now are these hour long dips in mood where I feel sad. I wish they would go soon.

I wouldn't say things are okay; just that they are getting manageable. It will probably be several more months before I am okay. ????

Thanks SG!

The mood dips were getting better but the past couple of days they have got worse again. I hope it is just being darkest before dawn.

• Moderator Emeritus

So it is January next year - I wondered, but was surprised cause it's so far away.  I think it's good to give yourself a proper chance to stabilise.  I get sad sometimes too, especially in a wave.  It passes, but boy it's not nice.  Hope you continue to find ways to manage your way through this.  You're doing a good job of it so far, so be encouraged.

Karen

x

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

I have read that other people who had a particularly bad taper and slow recovery like I am going through have taken a year since reinstatement to be as stable as possible. It sounds sensible to me ????

I'm sorry that you get sad sometimes ???? I only wish lots of sunshine for you ????

Having a bobble day today using SG's expression. The past few weeks I have been feeling better, the bad days are manageable and fading away and the good days are happy again. I have almost no physical symptoms left.

Then I woke up this morning feeling hot and antsy and started crying and feeling sad and haven't been able to stop. I just hate it so much. I know it's just a wave and it will go away soon. When I have intense symptoms like this, whether it be physical or emotional, it usually means something is on its way out. But it sure feels crappy going through it. Sometimes I feel like I'll never be stable ????

Like last week; I had some intense mood dips and after that they have been barely noticeable. I hope it is the same for this.

I can't wait until I'm off this drug. I'm so sick of all this. But I know I have to wait until I'm feeling a lot better. And I have to go very slow. I remember that from my benzo taper.

• Moderator Emeritus

As I just replied to Dan, yup, it is so hard to want off so badly but know that hastening the process will lead to suffering.  Very frustrating and often hard to accept.  And that's about all we can do, come to Acceptance.  I'm also sick of withdrawal being first and foremost in my mind every bloody day!

Having a bobble day today using SG's expression. The past few weeks I have been feeling better, the bad days are manageable and fading away and the good days are happy again. I have almost no physical symptoms left.

Then I woke up this morning feeling hot and antsy and started crying and feeling sad and haven't been able to stop. I just hate it so much. I know it's just a wave and it will go away soon. When I have intense symptoms like this, whether it be physical or emotional, it usually means something is on its way out. But it sure feels crappy going through it. Sometimes I feel like I'll never be stable

It does feel like crap, I know!  I had a bobble day on Sunday and when I'm in it, it is hard to not feel like that might be the me I am left with off drugs, scares me to death!  I hate the extreme thinking that goes with Bobble Days LOL!

You are not alone, Rachel.  It gives me joy, though, to think that you made it through a benzo taper, and you will make it through this one, too!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thanks SG! Yes, when it's happening it's hard to see around it!

SG I read your history and you are really getting there girl! I'm so happy for you! You're a great inspiration to me! And I will be very careful with liquid remeron because of your experience. You're so awesome!

My benzo taper was 2 1/2 years and it was the first thing I thought about but when I got below 5 mg of Valium I took my life back and I was already fully living by the time I came off. It was just a matter of going through the usual cut and then I slowly got better and better. I was already getting better and more clear even before I got off them as my body and mind gave them up.

Wishing you continued healing Rachelina.   It is the most frustrating journey to take and it's always nice have this forum to vent or celebrate the tapering journey. 

You are not alone on your Mirtazapine journey and you will get there!

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Thanks Hibari; it's so good to have someone here who cares and knows what we are going through.

All my physical symptoms are pretty much gone and the past few days the fears and negative thoughts are starting to lighten too so for that I am so grateful.

I'm pretty tired and grumpy and sad from my first night shift back last night...I was like that before, just not as bad. I'm looking forward to my mood coming up soon and staying up.

I'm so glad I'm getting better. There is still a lot of sadness feeling left though. It always seems like the strongest symptom takes the longest to go. Next time I come back I want to be able to say my mood is coming up and I'm feeling a lot better emotionally too.

I'm looking forward to going to my quilting group tonight.

I didn't go to bed today as I got four hours sleep last night and I was afraid to sleep in case I got really side line last time I tried to have a nap.

Thanks so much for your encouragement Hibari. I hope your tapering is going well and your symptoms are few. ????

I mean really sad, not side lined, where did that come from lol!

I was told by a member who no longer posts here regularly that we should call Remeron the crying drug.   During my taper I have cried so hard from my wd from Remeron and it does tend to make me feel sad when I first make a cut.   Along with sweating, headaches, nausea and anger! yipee!

I has gotten better and continues to get better as I lower my dosage.  I still feel the cut when I first make it but the other symptoms are not as rough or maybe I have gotten better at dealing with them.   I am not scared anymore that it's my depression returning. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

You know Hibari, that was one of the things I originally liked about this drug. That it didn't take my emotions away. I look forward to slowly going off it and not suffering. I'm glad you said that about your depression not returning because that's a fear of mine. I just hope I'm far enough along in my menopause that my depression won't come back.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to check in and give an update. My symptoms are still improving. I have mostly good days now where the only symptom I have is a bit of antsy feeling in the morning for an hour or so. The fog is completely gone. I still have a day or two a week where I have some negative/fear thoughts in the morning and then sadness from 3:30-5:30 and then I'm fine. I figure it will be a few more months until I'm mostly 'normal'.

I am so looking forward to being off these pills, I don't know if I will wait until January or not to start decreasing. But I want my cns to be in good shape again so the wean down will be manageable.

I hope everyone is doing well; Karen, SG, Hibari, Ali and all the other lovely folks here.????

• Moderator Emeritus

Rachel, it is so good to hear from you and that things are getting better!  You probably don't need to wait all the way until January if you get back to feeling "normal, " but certainly a few months of "normal" would be good before resuming a taper.  And perhaps start with 5%/month just to make it a gentle beginning.

Hugs!

SG

Thanks SG...I agree...I think a few months of 'normal' will make me strong and prepared for the journey emotionally and physically. I still have a lot of fear after what I went through so I think you're right...a small cut would be reassuring. I will be back in a little while for another update. ????

• Moderator Emeritus

So good to hear how well you've been stabilising Rachel.  I agree with SG and yourself about giving yourself a good holding period.  Makes sense. 

I've been holding for nearly 3 months, but lately have had a wave.  Strange, but I guess in w/d nothing is strange. 

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.

8 month hold.

I hope your wave has calmed down by now Karen! ❤️

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All: I'm continuing to feel better very slowly. I have the odd bad day still but it is now reduced to some fears in the morning and a sad two hours in the afternoon and feeling like I'll never get better, they come about once per week.

I am going to visit my husband on May 17 for two weeks from Canada to Hungary and I'm feeling nervousness about it. I don't want to set my healing back but it will be so wonderful to see him. Any thoughts?

Also, since feeling a bit better I have started to slowly wean a tiny bit on my estrogen. So far I'm fine...any thoughts on this?

Most days I am in a window almost all day, sometimes a little anxious first thing in the morning.

And one last question; will diet pop affect my healing?

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad there are improvements Rachel.  Here's some links for you.

Traveling/time differences:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11814-traveling-with-paxil-or-other-meds/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11328-adjusting-doses-for-different-time-zones-or-daylight-savings-time/#entry208714

Diet Soda:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3979-phenylalanine-an-ingredient-in-diet-soda/#entry46414

This is an interesting one - it seems many in w/d need to taper off diet soda!  Have a read of the thread, there's some good discussion in there. 

8 month hold.

Thanks Karen; I read them both. I will not be drinking any more diet pop. I had started drinking it a few weeks ago and I thought some of my symptoms flared up a bit. I'll mix a little juice with water instead.

As for the time travel I will keep my wristwatch at the time here so I can be close to taking the med on time. Sounds like I might have some flare ups, hope I'll be okay.

Thanks for the info!

I can't wait to begin tapering! I'm so happy that I'm getting better and can start tapering. It really irks me that some people just stop taking them or wean off really quick and they are okay but others like me are not! I hate this drug!

You will do it!