SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Rachel1963: Up and down symptoms

Rachel1963

Thanks Hibari!

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rachel1963

• KarenB

• AliG

• Hibari

Top Posters In This Topic

Rachel.     It's good to see that you are feeling better and have a lovely positive attitude. As travel tends to be stimulating in many ways , try if you can to keep it to a minimum , if possible. Noise, crowds etc.  Ensure, that you get enough rest and quiet time to balance out the frenetic aspects of travel. If you can stick to your self - care strategies as much as possible it will help. 

I hope it all goes well.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks so much Ali...I will be just having a quiet vacation with my husband. We like to do a little shopping at the market or go to an art gallery and maybe a movie in the evening or watch a little tv and then go to bed so it's not going to be a hectic vacation. He knows I need my rest while I'm still recovering so I think I'll be okay. I will be so happy to be in his presence I think it will be good for me. I'm just worried about the long flight getting there but I have a book and can watch movies and do my rug hooking and hopefully get some sleep. Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone! Hope you are well! I just wanted to update and ask a question. It has been nearly seven months since reinstatement and I am feeling much better. I still get an odd mild sad day or feel a bit yucky in the morning but they are so mild now compared to what they were. I guess I am still healing. I am looking forward to and am a bit afraid of starting my taper at the end of the year but a little fear won't stop me.

My question is: I am having a kidney stone removed next Wednesday and am worried about the anesthetic causing me to take a step back. Does anyone have experience with anesthetic while recovering from withdrawal? Thanks for your help. Rachel ????

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh Rachel, I'm sad to say that the anesthetic is likely to have an effect. Of course the depth and duration of the effect varies from person to person.  I hope your post-surgery recovery is short and tolerable.

Just to clarify -- your current mirtazapine dose is 30 mg?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Yes I'm at 30 mg. I'm hoping I'll be okay. I had surgery almost two years ago and I was fine, but of course I wasn't recovering from withdrawal.

I meant to report on my trip from Canada to Hungary. My symptoms stepped up for a couple of days and then went away completely for the trip, it was great! They flared up for a few days when I came back too but then calmed down again.

• Moderator Emeritus

You've been at 30 mg since January.  That stability probably weighs in your favour.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks Scally! I love your avatar!!!

Hello...my symptoms have flared up a bit because I think I'm going through caffeine withdrawal. It's been so hot I was having an iced cappuccino nearly every day for a month. I stopped drinking it three days ago and now I'm exhausted, nausea and blue. Plus a couple of morning symptoms have flared up again after being gone for a few months. Will it settle down again? I don't usually drink caffeine and I remember years ago going through withdrawal from it gave me headaches and exhaustion.

After a few rough days of feeling exhausted, anxious and irritable, things are settling down again. When things like this happen, I start to think I will never get better. I have to remember my body has been through a lot and during recovery there can be some setbacks and that's all these 'flare ups' are; minor setbacks that will settle down again.

I'm through with caffeine forever.

It's true Rachel. This is a minor setback even though it can feel huge at the time. I hope your surgery goes well this week . If I were you , I would probably expect to feel a little bit wobbly for a time post - op , but I'm hoping that if you do it will settle quickly as fortunately, you have been stable for quite a while.

This link might be helpful to read through :

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5022-effects-of-anesthesia/

Good luck, and please let us know how you go .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Thanks Ali...I feel ten times better after reading the thread you recommended. Thanks so much and I will let you know how I'm doing after it's over. ????

• 3 weeks later...

Well it has been over two weeks since I had my surgery. I had a couple of sad, very tired days after the surgery but not too bad. And I have felt tired since but not too bad. My doctor wants me to go on thyroid replacement because of my Hashimoto's but I'm a bit anxious to do that right now. I don't want to mess my healing up. I'm not sure what to do.

Hi Rachel.  I guess that's to be expected that you would feel a bit down and out after your surgery.  It takes a huge toll on your body all around - the stress as well as the anesthetic and then recovery.

So many of us have thyroid problems, perhaps as a result of the drugs.

Have you looked into any natural alternatives ?

Ali

Hi Rachel

I'm glad your are recovering from your surgery.

I understand the confusion about your thyroid issues. I always feel it's good to gather as much information as possible and the ask yourself, is this right for me right now?

I have had to ask myself that when I tried to go off my estradiol patch while I was withdrawing. It turned out not to be the best choice for me. I have to wait till I am off meds and then see where my body is at and what needs tending to.

Trust yourself as best you can right now.

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Thanks Ali and Hibari. I've had the Hashimoto's since my second son was born 26 years ago and was put on levothyroxine. It got me out of my post-partum depression but after 10 years I decided not to take it. My thyroid has been holding it's own since then but acted up after the wicked withdrawal. I think I will give myself more time to heal and see what happens. It's not at emergency levels of anything.

I have to say I am a very slow healer. When I quit coffee years ago it took me a month to feel better, that was years ago. I am still healing from this withdrawal. Going on eight months I still have a few symptoms left. Finally my ringing in my ears is gone except for the odd day where I get a little flare up and I'm still way more tired than I used to be. I was wondering about tapering. I still feel I'm healing and have a bit more to go. I was planning on tapering in January but what if it takes me six months after that for all symptoms to be gone? I want my taper to be as comfortable as possible. So do I wait as long as it takes to be good as new? I remember Alto saying do not attempt to taper again until all symptoms are gone.

• Moderator Emeritus

It might be helpful to consider BrassMonkey's idea of waiting until 'wd normal.'   

I see WDnormal as the overall baseline of where you are in general. The place you are when you're not feeling good, but you're not feeling bad. Sorta a rolling average of the past couple of months between the windows and waves.  Watching the level of WDnormal is a good indicator that things are improving.  Over time you should be seeing a raising of the standard for WDnormal.  So how you're feeling now is better than say six months ago. It changes very slowly but is a really good indicator.

Many people have the idea that stability is feeling good again, when in fact it's feeling the same level of blah day after day with no big swings to the better or bad. When a person does a drop in dose there will be a corresponding increase in WD symptoms over the next few days.  These symptoms will resolve themselves over the following several weeks and return the person to a slightly raised baseline of discomfort. The time frame and severity are dependent on a huge number of factors and end up being unique to each individual.  But the pattern remains.  This is why paying attention to your WDnormal is very important.  It is also referred to as listening to your body.  After a drop in dose and the symptoms have resolved to WDnormal the person then should wait a couple of more weeks to let things really settle out (there are a lot of little unfelt changer still going on) before considering doing their next drop.

During that waiting time people may think that they're not doing anything and want to get on with it.  When in fact doing nothing is very proactive.  It's those little unfelt things that need to be finished up before the next step can be taken.  It's letting the glue harden, the paint dry, the cement cure.  The things that need to be complete before the path is safe to walk on again.  If these details are ignored then they start to pile up and compound each other, then somewhere down the line the foundation slips out from under us and the whole thing collapses.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

That is good information Karen. Thank you. I suspect I will be ready by January at the rate I'm going. I'm still having some swings but now that my operation is finished I can start watching again. Listening to my body it is saying not yet, there is still some work to be done.

It might be helpful to consider BrassMonkey's idea of waiting until 'wd normal.'   

I see WDnormal as the overall baseline of where you are in general. The place you are when you're not feeling good, but you're not feeling bad. Sorta a rolling average of the past couple of months between the windows and waves.  Watching the level of WDnormal is a good indicator that things are improving.  Over time you should be seeing a raising of the standard for WDnormal.  So how you're feeling now is better than say six months ago. It changes very slowly but is a really good indicator.

Many people have the idea that stability is feeling good again, when in fact it's feeling the same level of blah day after day with no big swings to the better or bad. When a person does a drop in dose there will be a corresponding increase in WD symptoms over the next few days.  These symptoms will resolve themselves over the following several weeks and return the person to a slightly raised baseline of discomfort. The time frame and severity are dependent on a huge number of factors and end up being unique to each individual.  But the pattern remains.  This is why paying attention to your WDnormal is very important.  It is also referred to as listening to your body.  After a drop in dose and the symptoms have resolved to WDnormal the person then should wait a couple of more weeks to let things really settle out (there are a lot of little unfelt changer still going on) before considering doing their next drop.

During that waiting time people may think that they're not doing anything and want to get on with it.  When in fact doing nothing is very proactive.  It's those little unfelt things that need to be finished up before the next step can be taken.  It's letting the glue harden, the paint dry, the cement cure.  The things that need to be complete before the path is safe to walk on again.  If these details are ignored then they start to pile up and compound each other, then somewhere down the line the foundation slips out from under us and the whole thing collapses.

Thank you Karen for posting Brass Monkey's thoughts on WD.  I was getting worried that when I stabilize after a cut, my mood is not down but certainly not up.  I was worried that I would never feel good again.  It was so nice to read  "Many people have the idea that stability is feeling good again, when in fact it's feeling the same level of blah day after day with no big swings to the better or bad." 

And " Many people have the idea that stability is feeling good again, when in fact it's feeling the same level of blah day after day with no big swings to the better or bad."

What a relief to read that this is part of the process.

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

I'm sorry you don't feel well Hibari.

Now I feel happy and normal most days. Even the sad mornings are gone by the afternoon. I'm hoping to go slow enough that I have many happy days through my withdrawal.

When I went through my withdrawal from Benzos I was happy many days too. The only thing I would have done differently would be to go even slower.

• 3 months later...

I have been getting ready for my taper in January, feeling mostly normal now. Then I decided to change my estrogen patch from changing every six days to every seven days almost five weeks ago. I got anxiety almost right away but that also started to subside. Then last week I had some awful dental surgery and have been in the middle of buying a little house for myself and yesterday I went bowling for the first time in ages. This morning I woke up charged with adrenalin and feeling anxious and my even having some scratchy skin. It is calming down now but I'm really worried about whether I should increase the patch again or just ride it out and hope things settle down again. Any suggestion?

I don't know why no one answered me. Must be busy or I managed to offend someone. I will increase my patch again. I guess I can figure it out myself. Hope everyone has a nice Holiday.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry nobody answered. Perhaps it's just that people don't know like me.

I can just say that you are thinking in the right wave. You have identified what caused the present wave. I wouldn't underestimate the dental work. I see members having strong reactions.

You are also right in thinking things will settle down with time. Whether to increase the patch depends on how strong the symptoms are and whether you are prepared to put up with them. I always give myself some more time to see whether the symptoms will go up or down. That helps with decision making. I hope it helps.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thank you Bubble

Hey Rachel. It's tricky with hormones - we're dealing with W/D already and throw hormones in to the mix and it's worrying. I have no answer as I'm dealing with the same .

It's hard all the way around . Do you have a good hormone doctor ?

Thanks for relying Ali...my nurse practitioner is very good. I don't know if I'd be here if it wasn't for her. I will just go back to the six days and try again later. I suspect I will start feeling better within a couple of weeks.

After almost a year back on I still don't feel well for an hour or two in the mornings most days. But I'm hoping that will start lifting soon too.

My periods have only just stopped about 8 months ago so I'm just through the menopause and could have symptoms for a long time yet. But the Nurse Practioner would like me on a lower dose so I don't know. I would like to feel completely better before making any changes. I'm still having symptoms dropping off.

Hi Rachel,

I wanted to reply (have been off line for a bit).   I too am on a estradial patch and also progeterone creme.  I want to get off both eventually but I know I need to stabilize first after I am off all meds.  I will say this though, I have been taking an adrenal supplement that I think is helping even with the menopause stuff.  I feel that my adrenal fatigue caused me to have a very tough menopause so I am trying to address that.  I went to a nautrapath and shared with her feelings about my adrenal issues.   I also have done a lot of my own persona research on it.

I feel there was a connection between my morning cortisol spike and my adrenals.  I read on this site about someone using Vitamin C to help with the morning anxiety and dread.  I started increasing my C, which then lead me to the adrenal piece.  My mornings are much better (except when I have made a cut but even that is better). 

Hang in there.  Hibari

Hi Hibari...I think you're right, I need to leave the estrogen be until I am feeling more stable. I am back on the patch the same dose as before. I'm feeling a bit better and. I just have to wait it out. When I'm like this I feel like I'm never going to get better. My mood is very low now after I was feeling a lot better. I have been trying to eat more healthy now and will look up some information about adrenals.

I remember reading that Jane Seymour was on hrt for nine years. She figures having twins just before menopause did a real number on her. Thanks for stopping in. I will update when I'm feeling a bit better. I was so happy to see that you are so close to finishing your taper. That's awesome!

You will get better Rachel.  I believe our systems are very sensitive right now and even small reductions of any kind of medication will be felt big time.

Sounds like your body will let you know when something is too much and needs to change. 

I always believe that our bodies are our allies.  

Yes, please update as you go along! 

• 1 month later...

I'm feeling much better now. I've decided to leave the patch alone. However, after much discussion my nurse practitioner and I feel that I'm ready to start tapering my Premarin in two months. I will be tapering just to the next smallest dose. We picked this over the Remeron first because the Premarin can cause an increased chance of breast cancer and ovarian cancer. At two months between drops it should take me 14 months to get to the next lowest dose. I am on a very high dose. Then I can start thinking about what should be next after that. Maybe I could lower the Remeron and then alternate with the Premarin. Anyhow, this will all start in two and a half months.

Hibari you are almost off the Remeron! You are such an inspiration to me!

Hibari I go to Alanon too. For five years.

Hibari you are almost off the Remeron! You are such an inspiration to me!

You can do it Rachel!  I have just come through a very tough cut and am moving into a state of fragile stability.   For me, the lower doses have been hard and I think my last cut may have been more than 10%.   I will have to wait till I am really stable to make another cut.  

I totally understand your decision to reduce your patch.  You have to take care of yourself-as program says, "First things first".  I love Alanon and it has helped me so much during this time.  Feeling a lot of grief come up that has to do with recovery and wd.   Program is helping me keep myself sane and I have been able to talk about wd-to some degree-in meetings.

You have my support.