medstudent96 Pristiq 100 mg during 10 months-Side effects: HELP

medstudent96

Good afternoon and thank you for taking some time to read this.

First of all, sorry for my low English level. I will try to explain my case as clearly as I can.

Last year, I was diagnosed with depression. My psychiatrist prescribed me Pristiq 100 mg (one pill a day). I finished the treatment in July, 2015. However, since the middle of the treatment until now, I notice this subjective side effects:

-Memory problems, I have to make much effort to remember anything.

-I used to have a clear mind, since I took Pristiq, my mind is slow and I lost my esase of expression. (Is this that some people call "brain fog"?)

-Subjective feeling of intelligence loss.

-Great difficulty for reasoning.

-Loss of interest and illusion for all.

-And many others...

I'm very worried because I stopped taking the medication 5 months ago, but the symptoms continue, and sometimes, I think that they get worse.

If someone has taken this medication and is suffering similar symptoms, please post it in this topic. Are this effects permanent or they go over time? Help, please!

-nov 2013 - nov 2014 : Escitalopram 10 mg/day

-nov 28th 2014 - dec 5th 2014 : Pristiq 50 mg/day. Switch to Pristiq 100 mg/day the next day

-dec 6th 2014 - jul 2015 : Pristiq 100/mg day. The last weeks, I took 50 mg per day, and the last week I took 50 mg in alternate days.

-Currently I'm not taking any medication.

-Current symptons: Memory problems, cognitive problems, difficulty for reasoning, subjective feeling of intelligence loss, lost interest for anything, lack of emotion.

• Administrator

Welcome, medstudent.

That is a high dose of Pristiq. How did you go off it? Did you have withdrawal symptoms?

Please look around in the Introductions forum, you will see many people who have taken Pristiq.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Medstudent,

Welcome to SA.  I'm not able to answer your questions but someone will be along soon who should be able to.  I won't be logging in over the next few days but will check in later.  Good luck.  You have come to the right place.

BEFORE you take anything I suggest you wait until one of staff makes a suggestion of what amount to take if you wish to reinstate. 

Please start up an Intro/Update topic and one of the staff will move this post into it.  You can use your intro to ask questions and post updates about your withdrawal.  Also, please add a signature (instructions in the link below).  It will show up each time you post.

I've also added some helpful links which you can be reading whilst waiting for assistance.  Members and staff of this forum are very helpful and supportive. 

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

How Drugs Change Our Brain

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Why taper?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tapering off Pristiq

Withdrawal Symptom Checklist

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Medstudent,

Welcome to SA.  I'm not able to answer your questions but someone will be along soon who should be able to.  I won't be logging in over the next few days but will check in later.  Good luck.  You have come to the right place.

BEFORE you take anything I suggest you wait until one of staff makes a suggestion of what amount to take if you wish to reinstate. 

Please start up an Intro/Update topic and one of the staff will move this post into it.  You can use your intro to ask questions and post updates about your withdrawal.  Also, please add a signature (instructions in the link below).  It will show up each time you post.

I've also added some helpful links which you can be reading whilst waiting for assistance.  Members and staff of this forum are very helpful and supportive. 

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

How Drugs Change Our Brain

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Why taper?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tapering off Pristiq

Withdrawal Symptom Checklist

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

CC

Welcome, medstudent.

That is a high dose of Pristiq. How did you go off it? Did you have withdrawal symptoms?

Please look around in the Introductions forum, you will see many people who have taken Pristiq.

First of all, thank you for the fast answer!

As you asked me, I've added a signature with the information I consider relevant in my case. As you can see, I was on Pristiq 100 mg/day for 8 months. The last weeks, I reduce the dose to 50 mg/day and the last week, I took 50 mg in alternate days until I finished the box. Nowadays, I'm having the symptons that I have described and I'm very scared. If it turns out that these symptoms are permanent, I doubt I can finish my studies (I'm studying Medicine) and I'm very concerned about this. I'm going to consult another psychiatrist for a second opinion. The main problem is that people whom I speak doesn't believe me at 100%. They say things like: "This drug can't cause these terrible side effects", "These side effects are not described in the current literature (said by my current psychiatrist)" and nobody offers me a solution.

I will start an Intro/Update topic as soon as I can (I have an exam tomorrow).

Thank you again!!!!

-nov 2013 - nov 2014 : Escitalopram 10 mg/day

-nov 28th 2014 - dec 5th 2014 : Pristiq 50 mg/day. Switch to Pristiq 100 mg/day the next day

-dec 6th 2014 - jul 2015 : Pristiq 100/mg day. The last weeks, I took 50 mg per day, and the last week I took 50 mg in alternate days.

-Currently I'm not taking any medication.

-Current symptons: Memory problems, cognitive problems, difficulty for reasoning, subjective feeling of intelligence loss, lost interest for anything, lack of emotion.

Welcome medstudent96,

I was diagnosed with depression. My psychiatrist prescribed me Pristiq 100 mg

My guess is it appears the pdoc  diagnosed with depression shortly after you cold turkeyed the lexapro (escitalopram).

If that assumption is correct the diagnosis of depression was incorrect..you were suffering ssri withdrawal which just happens to tick a lot of boxes in the DSM.

I assume you didnt taper the escit. (i'm assuming you didnt...probably told 10mg is a small dose dont need to taper right?)

Your pdoc probably said 'well its about finding the right medicine for you everyone is different so lets try pristiq.?

Then you updosed to 100mg perhaps cos at 50 mg you were finding no relief (from the lex CT) so it was ok lets 'double the dose' .

What do you mean by 'last weeks' 2 or 3 weeks? at 50 mg then 2-3 weeks ? alternating.

Anyway you are in protracted ssri withdrawal and it can go on for many months or years in my case.

If it is too unbearable and you are unable to survive 'non-functioning ' then the only known way to attempt to remove wdl symptoms is to reinstate ...at a low dose in your case. At 5 months off it is a risk you may find relief you may not. It could easily turn into a slippery slope upwards ...with continual updosing.

Alternating and skipping doses triggers withdrawal symptoms.

later....you just bet me to post....

I'm going to consult another psychiatrist for a second opinion.

Its best to get a third opinion from sa before taking their advice ...they dont acknowledge ssri wdl ...and are in denial about it.

You may simply be switched again and given a benzo to take as needed.

They say things like: "This drug can't cause these terrible side effects", "These side effects are not described in the current literature (said by my current psychiatrist)" and nobody offers me a solution.

This is because the lit they are using is fraudulent. Yet pharma use it as propaganda.

Your testimony proves that doctors are not thinking for themselves and are blind to the evidence presented before their own eyes....and as such they are misinformed clueless and the only soltn for them is a RI, a switch , a double the dose or polydrugging. You may even get a whole new diagnosis.

As i see it you have one of two options

1. Remain drug free knowing that you are in wdl and it can go on for a year or two and find nondrug ways to cope with the withdrawal. It will come in waves and windows, or if you cant cope then

2. A small dose reinstatement.

Gotzsche said [insert mine] in 2015 , it is very dangerous to seek the advice of a psychiatrist for a person suffering things [any kind of psychological distress or anything from a sore toe to a headache] that an ssri can be prescribed for.

I totally agree with him.

I'm glad you are studying medicine ..someone needs to keep these people honest.

The main problem is that people whom I speak doesn't believe me at 100%.

The thousands on this site belief you 100% we are living it. Unlike the doctors who refuse to swallow their own medicine. So who would one listen to for no one knows a drug like those who are or have taken it.

Do you have access to a library ...silly question...well you might like to read two books

'Anatomy of an epidemic' by R Whitaker 2010 and

'Psychiatric drug withdrawal 'by P Breggin.2013

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

Withdrawal syndrome can last several months or much longer, it's impossible to predict how long it will take for you to recover.

You went off Pristiq very quickly. Skipping doses can also trigger withdrawal symptoms. Please read this link (thank you, ChessieCat) About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Can you get 25mg Pristiq? That might be enough to stop the withdrawal symptoms. Another option is to cut up a 50mg Pristiq tablet into quarters and take one quarter twice a day (25mg total).

A third option is to get a prescription for 37.5mg Effexor XR and take that -- venlafaxine is a sibling of desvenlafaxine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

oh yeah thats right i forgot about the pristiq saga...and the difficulty of tapering at lower dosages

mestudent you might like to read the thread on pristiq chessiecat gave you and you will see that someone on the inside of the med profession needs to do something about it.

Tapering off Pristiq

Are you able to protest from inside the med prof regarding this dangerous drug?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hello medstudent I am happy you found this website because the lack of medical knowledge on SSRI is staggering and scary. Unfortunately as I have found that going to PDocs is the most dangerous thing you can do, especially when in Withdrawal because of their lack of knowledge and willingness to throw more meds at a situation caused by meds. This compounds the problems 10 fold. Reinstating a low dose is the only way to Relieve symptoms, however at 5 months off this may not work and could cause more trouble . But the plus side is that it might work and provide relief.I was 7 months off when I found this site and was too afraid to try Reinstating because I felt I couldn't handle anything worse.

This site is recommended by David Healy himself who is one of the best and most knowledgeable Doctors in the world. I wish you luck and you have great support here.

Mort

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg