SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Talking Turkey (Thanksgiving and Antidepressants)

Fresh

• Moderator Emeritus

From the International Coalition for Drug Awareness 

Anne Blake Tracy , talking about the shooting event in Colorado:

Minutes before this shooting came in I had just made the statement that we have often seen a flurry of cases around Thanksgiving as people mix turkey with their antidepressants having little clue of the synergistic effects of mixing something like turkey or in the case of Columbine, all the cheeze from pizza. With Dylan and Eric both working at a Pizza Parlor we can expect that like any other kid in a similar situation they had been having pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And both with the milk protein and with turkey you get an increase in serotonin which seems to push people on these medications over the edge as the toxicity from too much serotonin sets in.

http://www.drugawareness.org/antidepressants-active-shooter-at-planned-parenthood-in-colorado-springs-co/

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Doesn't turkey have tryptophan (sp?) or something that makes one sleepy.  I've heard of people getting sleepy after eating turkey.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• Moderator Emeritus

The amount of tryptophan in turkey is negligable, almost an urban myth.  

I still like it - and think about those times after T-day dinner where we lay around for hours, complaining that the gravity was heavier on Thanksgiving after dinner.

But I think it was just that we overate, and our systems shut down to digest all that food.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Administrator

I'm sorry, that statement by Ann Blake Tracy makes no biochemical sense at all.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Curious , I would have thought the amount of tryptophan would be negligable too.

From drugs.com (I tried lexapro as a test ad)

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major tryptophan  escitalopram

Applies to: tryptophan, Lexapro (escitalopram)

Using tryptophan together with escitalopram is generally not recommended. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressureicon1.png, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred visionicon1.png, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

from:  http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/the-truth-about-tryptophan

As it turns out, turkey contains no more of the amino acid tryptophan than other kinds of poultry. In fact, turkey actually has slightly less tryptophan than chicken, says Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD, LDN, an American Dietetic Association spokeswoman and author ofThe Flexitarian Diet.

Continues:

"When is the last time someone ate a chicken breast at a summertime barbecue and thought they felt sluggish [because of it]?" she asks.

Turkey is, indeed, a good source of tryptophan. Still, it's a myth that eating foods high in tryptophan boosts brain levels of tryptophan and therefore brain levels of serotonin, Somer says.

Somer says that proteins like turkey, chicken, and fish, which are high in tryptophan, require assistance from foods high in carbohydrates to affect serotonin levels.

"Tryptophan is quite high in milk and turkey, but that's not the food that will give you the serotonin boost," she says. It's a small, all-carbohydrate snack -- no more than 30 grams of carbohydrates -- in combination with the tryptophan stored in your body from food you've already eaten that will give you the biggest boost of serotonin, Somer says.

What I get from that is that the turkey is too high protein to release it's tryptophan and feed into the serotonin system.

And cheese pizza and Columbine?  That's really quite extreme.  Sure, a poor diet would be harsh (and might be part of why the boys were on the drugs to begin with) but - I doubt the pizza is anywhere near as responsible as the psych drugs and access to guns.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Administrator

Tryptophan is available in the US as a supplement, Fresh. That could be much stronger than anything you'd get from food.

Really, this doesn't bear discussion. Ann Blake Tracy is talking through her hat here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I'm sorry, that statement by Ann Blake Tracy makes no biochemical sense at all.

Ann Blake Tracy is not trained in biological sciences or medicine - she tends to make hyperbolic statements like this from time to time.  I sometimes feel like her work has the air of "conspiracy theory" more than any of the other activists - but at the same time I'm a big fan of her projects, such as

http://www.ssristories.net/

And there are circles of people who swear by her work (though idolizing any one person has always been something that bothers me, personally).

I read through much of her giant book, and found it to be interesting and well composed - with some compelling discussions about how SSRIs may influence the endocrine system, REM sleep disorders, and the history of pharmaceutical companies' peddling of drugs to the public:  http://www.amazon.com/Prozac-Panacea-Pandora-Antidepressants-Zoloft/dp/0916095592

She's also done a great deal of work to help bring awareness to the problems with psychiatric medications - so I would argue that in spite of her propensity for hyperbolic statements, she's an important member of this community.

She's also one of the earliest members of the community, beginning her work back in the early 1990s - where she worked with Peter Breggin, and other individuals - and did numerous legal testimonies, etc.

• Administrator

All of that is true, osk. However, when she makes hyperbolic (or absurd) statements, as this one is, she casts her credibility in doubt.

All of that is true, osk. However, when she makes hyperbolic (or absurd) statements, as this one is, she casts her credibility in doubt.

I agree :mellow:

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. 

I recently read statements from Ann Blake Tracy about how SSRI s are highly protein binding, and having animal protein in the diet makes it harder to eliminate the drugs from our system or something similar. I am kind of worried about my diet causing the drug to be stored in increased amounts and/or for longer in my body tissues...

How credible are these claims? It's hard to know which information to take seriously. I looked up Tracy's qualifications, and I found things about her PhD not being legitimate. Does anyone know if she at least has a degree or similar qualification in a relevant field? Not that I would automatically dismiss someone's opinions based only on academic achievements (I think we all know highly qualified psychiatrists can ruin lives by giving out powerful drugs like candy...). But these are complex subjects and it's good to know what kind of knowledge and experience a person has when trying to determine the reliability of their claims. 

2005-2018: Sertraline 50mg

Jan 2018: Started taper from 50mg

Jun 2018: 25 mg

July 2019: 20 mg. Switched to Microtapering

Spring 2020: Tetanus vaccine and a course of rabies vaccinations. 

July 2020: 16 mg. Hold.

During 2020, I was forced to change manufacturers(of generic Sertraline) 4 times due to supplier issues. I didn't write the dates down. 

1st Oct&4th Oct 2020: IV drip with Metoclopramide, ranitidine, hyoscine butylbromide in hospital

26 October 2020: 17 mg

1Nov: 16mg

• 3 months later...

Here's the link to the audio of Ann Blake Tracy's book if anyone wants it (not sure if I can post this, please take down if not appropriate)

http://www.drugawareness.org/wp-content/files/Dr-Ann-Blake-Tracy-COMPLETE-Help-I-Cant-Get-Off-My-Antidepressant-80min.mp3

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

I should give a warning about the ABT book- I found it to be somewhat triggering in talking about symptoms and also there's a story about a guy withdrawing that assaults someone (to put it mildly) as a result of his symptoms. 

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/26/2019 at 7:03 AM, SertralineAnxiety said:

I recently read statements from Ann Blake Tracy about how SSRI s are highly protein binding, and having animal protein in the diet makes it harder to eliminate the drugs from our system or something similar.

Kelly Brogan, M.D., the anti-drug psychiatrist, some of whose patients she is tapering off AD's, recommends red meat to her patients.  She is very knowledgeable about tapering and diet.  Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about Tracy's assertion.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

It's a version of this nonsensical myth:

If we could recommend Ann Blake-Tracy's work, we would, and close up this site.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Also see discussion which starts here: 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management