SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Pain in the gallbladder and liver area

alexjuice

I've noticed that as I go further in my benzo taper that I seem to have more gallbladder pain. Does anyone else experience gallbladder issues or back pains??

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I even had an ultrasound which was negative. The discomfort, that I am 100% sure was gallbladder, really got going about the time I was bouncing around, highly sensitive, with too much/too little Wellbutrin. I also started a medicine-y taste in my mouth that still persists, although it is lessening. Since the Wellbutrin settled, the gall bladder pain has as well. Hope that happens for you, too!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

What does gallbladder pain feel like? I've had lower abdominal pain and inflammation for several years off and on, mostly on right. I've never had it checked.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

In between shoulder blades, right upper back and right mid-abdomen ... feels like a grating pain for me. People who have gallbladder attacks describe very intense pain in the same general areas...

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hi Alexejice,

I too had gallbladder pain at a time when I was tapering off of benzos. I never made the connection to benzos, though, because I had had my gallbladder removed years ago, and now thought that I had formed new gallstones. I had an ultrasound scan of the gallbladder, but no gallstones or gallbladder inflammation or infection was found. So I guess it was another withdrawal symptom. 

Now, after reading and learning so much on this site, I am making the connection between withdrawal and so many symptoms I have had in the past, and some I still have. It is just incredible in how many ways these drugs can affect your  health! But in a way it gives some relief just to know what the cause of the symptoms is.

Alopam (benzodiazepine) first prescribed 1994
Akarin (citalopram) from 2002

Mirtazepine for about 2 months for insomnia in 2003 or 2004
Changed from Akarin to Effexor 2005
Started Nexium 2005
Changed from Effexor to Akarin 2006
Stopped Alopam after slow tapering 2006
Changed from Akarin to Cipralex 2006
Started Seroquel (quetiapine) 2006
Changed from Nexium to Omeprazol 2006
Started tramadol 2008
Started pramipexole for restless legs syndrome 2008
Stopped Seroquel after quick tapering 2009
Stopped tramadol 2011
Stopped Omeprazol August 2012
Stopped Cipralex (escitalopram) (after an appr 6 weeks taper) on Oct 13, 2012
Reinstated Cipralex 5 mg on May 18 - on May 22 went down to 2.5 mg Cipralex - June 1 down to 2 mg Cipralex, oral drops - June 26 down to 1.20 mg - July 27 updosed to 1,30 mg - Sept 14 down to 1,00 mg of own tablet liquid - Oct 20 down to 0,90 mg

I had my first gallbladder attack about a month and a half ago.  The pain was so intense, I thought I was going into kidney failure.  It started as identical intense pain in the back on both sides of the spine, just above the lower back.  And then the stomach pain started.  It was so bad, that I had to call an ambulance and go to the ER.  The pain last for over 6 hours and then about 5 days of lesser pain after starting antibiotic therapy.

So I started doing research on what causes gallstones, and found out that acid-blockers such as Nexium and Prilosec, are often the cause.  The double whammy is that PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) can also cause iron deficiency anemia, which leads to the formation of gallstones as well.

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there

ive been taking Effexor for five years.. two years  into taking it I had to have my gallbladder removed at aged 27.. they couldn't understand as I was very fit physically and had a very healthy diet.. since then ive been withdrawing from Effexor, and through blood test found that my iron ferrin levels are very low at 7 and my thyroid test keep coming back over range..ive had more tests done lately to try and find a cause for this..

I definitely blame Effexor for all my health problems....

((((the gallbladder pain Is horrendous, mine was just under my breasts and radiated into my right side and between shoulder blades.. it was a constant dull pain that just wouldn't go away.. every time I ate I felt like food was lodged in my throat, oesophagus , I sometimes had to make myself sick just to take the food up and get some relief from the pain.. I used to be double over holding my stomach with the pain crying it was that sore.. Also I started to vomit up bile (green substance)..apparently  mine was badly infected..))))

now and again I still get pains under my breasts but l dont know if its just the withdrawal symptoms like you stated annelle!!.. '

2010-withdrew from Effexor 150mg to zero over a period of 9 months

After six weeks became very ill

Doctor was adamant a reinstatement of 150mg was needed

I didn't know much of withdrawal symptoms at this time

February 2013- taking beads out of capsule 150mg

have taken out 112 beads equivalent to 30mg= 120mg taken

June 2013- Doctor visit- recommended given me 75mg capsules

take one in morning and one at night( take beads out of night one)

So am currently taking 75mg in morning and take beads out of 75mg night capsule to make up the other 45mg= 120mg

currently am down to taking 112.5mg..

presently reduced down to 103mg

at 93mg

at 87mg

Hi Kaza,

yes you are right there, it is just so difficult to tell which is which with the different symptoms, as gallbladder pain for instance. I think it is very likely that it is a withdrawal symptom - that would mean that it would - gradually disappear again after a while, together with the other symptoms of withdrawal - but it is a slow process which requires a lot of patience! 

I too was very young, 26, when I had my gallbladder removed, and have not had a lot of symptoms from it since - apart from the first months after, and the period of time when I tapered off of a benzodiazepine. And I rarely get that pain now, fortunately - so I think it must have been a withdrawal symptom. And from what I understand the AD withdrawal has a lot of the symptoms as benzo withdrawal. And apparently other people on this forum have this problem also.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Alopam (benzodiazepine) first prescribed 1994
Akarin (citalopram) from 2002

Mirtazepine for about 2 months for insomnia in 2003 or 2004
Changed from Akarin to Effexor 2005
Started Nexium 2005
Changed from Effexor to Akarin 2006
Stopped Alopam after slow tapering 2006
Changed from Akarin to Cipralex 2006
Started Seroquel (quetiapine) 2006
Changed from Nexium to Omeprazol 2006
Started tramadol 2008
Started pramipexole for restless legs syndrome 2008
Stopped Seroquel after quick tapering 2009
Stopped tramadol 2011
Stopped Omeprazol August 2012
Stopped Cipralex (escitalopram) (after an appr 6 weeks taper) on Oct 13, 2012
Reinstated Cipralex 5 mg on May 18 - on May 22 went down to 2.5 mg Cipralex - June 1 down to 2 mg Cipralex, oral drops - June 26 down to 1.20 mg - July 27 updosed to 1,30 mg - Sept 14 down to 1,00 mg of own tablet liquid - Oct 20 down to 0,90 mg

hi there

ive been taking Effexor for five years.. two years  into taking it I had to have my gallbladder removed at aged 27.. they couldn't understand as I was very fit physically and had a very healthy diet.. since then ive been withdrawing from Effexor, and through blood test found that my iron ferrin levels are very low at 7 and my thyroid test keep coming back over range..ive had more tests done lately to try and find a cause for this..

I definitely blame Effexor for all my health problems....

((((the gallbladder pain Is horrendous, mine was just under my breasts and radiated into my right side and between shoulder blades.. it was a constant dull pain that just wouldn't go away.. every time I ate I felt like food was lodged in my throat, oesophagus , I sometimes had to make myself sick just to take the food up and get some relief from the pain.. I used to be double over holding my stomach with the pain crying it was that sore.. Also I started to vomit up bile (green substance)..apparently  mine was badly infected..))))

now and again I still get pains under my breasts but l dont know if its just the withdrawal symptoms like you stated annelle!!.. '

Hmmm...I was on Effexor and then Pristiq for 8 years. I wonder if they are also a contributor to iron deficiency anemia.  My gallbladder pain was quickly cleared up with antibiotics.  Did they give you antibiotic therapy before removing your gallblader?

And yes, Iron Deficiency Anemia can lead to gall stones. See attached research study.

Also, once you have your gallbladder out, it is important to take Enzymes with every meal that includes fat.  The enzymes should have an ingredient called ox-bile and hydrochloric acid.  

I found a good enzyme supplement by Now brand, called Super Enzymes. 

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/now-foods-super-enzymes-180-caps

If you let me refer you, you'll get $5 off.

But it sounds like you are not in the US, since you spell oesophagus with an o. :)

Anemia & Gallstones.pdf

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

hi lilu

thanks for the reply,, Im actually from northern Ireland...no I wasn't given antibiotics, by the time I got gallbladder pain I was very sick,, I was bring up lots of bile and was in severe pain.. I went to hospital they did scans and said I had lots of gallstones and my gallbladder was badly infected. if it was taken out they were afraid it would spread to my pancreas.. so keyhole surgery to take it out was the only option..

I got my results of blood tests back today, my ferritin levels have gone up only slightly even after three months on prescribed supplements have to take more supplements.. all my b12, vitamin d3, folate etc came back  normal but my thyroid is still coming back slightly over range, but doctor said he doesn't want to give me medication for thyroid.. he said come back in another month to retest it..

he also wants me to come in and get a liver test done also,, due to long term usage of antidepressants..

I must look into that enzyme product,, after my operation I wasn't given any advice on a care plan and to be honest I never thought I would have needed one.. ill have a wee look in my health store this weekend.

thanks for the advice I really appreciate..

K x

2010-withdrew from Effexor 150mg to zero over a period of 9 months

After six weeks became very ill

Doctor was adamant a reinstatement of 150mg was needed

I didn't know much of withdrawal symptoms at this time

February 2013- taking beads out of capsule 150mg

have taken out 112 beads equivalent to 30mg= 120mg taken

June 2013- Doctor visit- recommended given me 75mg capsules

take one in morning and one at night( take beads out of night one)

So am currently taking 75mg in morning and take beads out of 75mg night capsule to make up the other 45mg= 120mg

currently am down to taking 112.5mg..

presently reduced down to 103mg

at 93mg

at 87mg

• 10 months later...

I wound up having emergency gall bladder removal surgery (cholecystectomy) due to recurring gall bladder attacks. The symptoms are very predictable and typical. Pain in the upper right quadrant of the abdomen, radiating to the back. For me the back pain was even more severe than the abdominal pain. But yes, the pain level is unbelievable.  The best combination for pain was a Percocet and Ibuprofen taken together at the start of symptoms.

Unfortunately, a week after I had surgery, I started having similar symptoms that had a new component - severe reflux, vomiting, pain in the center of diaphragm, and pain in the back.  It turned out to be another gall stone that had gotten loose during the gall bladder removal surgery. And then had lodged itself in the bile duct.  It was so small, nothing showed up on tests.  What was needed was a procedure called an ERCP - a type of endoscopy that involves looking at the ducts with the endoscope and physically removing any stones. 

The surgeon who did the last procedure, told me that I need to follow a diet that is low in animal fat. He said that you can actually form gallstones inside your ducts, even after your gall bladder has been removed.  Imagine that!

• 2 months later...

I haven't been here for a while. I need some advice please. I take Zoloft, 100mg. For a month or two, after taking it, I get a sensation in what I believe is my liver (left side under the rib), and also sometimes accompanied by a sensation on the right side, under the rib (pancreas, or spleen? no idea...). The sensation is like a pulse of discomfort, and worries me. What could it mean? I know that the liver is not something to toy around with and this scares me. help

Currently on: Zoloft, 137.5mg and Lamotrigine, 25mg for complex PTSD. Trazodone, 100mg for sleep issues.

Past history (hazy memory of): 

1. Paxil / Dosage: don't remember / Tapering: don't remember (2000-2001)

2. Wellbutrin / Dosage: don't remember / Tapering: very short (2005ish, 1 month only)

3. Zoloft / Dosage: 25 or 50mg / Tapering: decreasing abruptly, then going back on it; decreasing and increasing rapidly again, then tapering finally, over the course of a few months. The withdrawal was never completed and I found myself much more depressed. (2007-2009)

4. Xanax / Dosage: smallest (0.5mg?) / Tapering: stopped taking it one day (2010-2012ish)

5. Cymbalta / Dosage: small dose / Tapering: 2-4 weeks (2011ish)

6. Celexa / Dosage: small dose / Tapering: 2-4 weeks (2012ish)

7. Lexapro / Dosage: 5mg-10mg / Tapering: 1-2 weeks (2012ish)

8. Zoloft / Dosage: 25mg, increasing to 50mg, 100mg, 125mg, and 137.5mg. / Tapering : No. (2013-current)

Do you think the right side could be your gallbladder? I read an interesting article on that, as I had gall bladder discomfort tapering Wellbutrin. I think you could find the article by googling "grumpy gallbladder."

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

I've had pain similar to what you describe on and off since coming off Zoloft in '12.

01/2006 Put on Prozac for anxiety and panic attacks 08/2008 Came off Zoloft after tapering don't remember taper, lost weight, felt like had cold constantly, very panicky, pain everywhere (misdiagnosed fibromyalgia), head funny.05/2010 put back on Zoloft03/2012 came completely off Zoloft followed Dr standard taper- no appetite, lost weight (0.5 stone), flu-like feelings constantly, pain everywhere, head funny, nausea, very panicky, very strong emotions etc Lost 1 stone.04/2013 improving. actually put on some weight and hungry most of the time. Still burning pain joints, stomach upset, headache/feel faint and emotions very strong. Chest very painful too.01/2014 improving still. Gained weight!! Still hungry. Still headache/feel faint and strong emotions and chest/shoulder muscles painful. Periods irregular and very painful. Very tired. Joints burn only if eat refined sugars. Started eating fruits again.03/2014 2 years off. Now intolerances developed to nuts and soya. Permanently hungry, Emotions strong but started healing psychological reasons I was put on antidepressants with therapist. Shoulder pain bad, heady often, very tired.06/2014 flu-like symptoms returned, many intolerances, stomach painful, skin crawling feeling, muscles painful, very emotional. :-((

09/2016 over 4.5 years off, no real changes in symptoms, still much pain, headiness, heart weird, digestion bad, hormones unbalanced, nausea yet very hungry, tired, flu like symptoms etc etc.

<p>taking - vit C, probiotics and digestive enzymesI have Aspergers Syndrome.

• 5 weeks later...

Do you think the right side could be your gallbladder? I read an interesting article on that, as I had gall bladder discomfort tapering Wellbutrin. I think you could find the article by googling "grumpy gallbladder."

That can't be right - I get itchy palms and feet without rashes, for many months now, right after taking Zoloft. This symptom seems to be attributed to liver problems. A friend told me he dreamt of me with yellow skin and it was an unsettling dream for him. My doctor doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with anything, because the ******* general blood test came out ok. I requested a full liver panel but she said I don't need it. She's very aloof and I don't like her vibe. Need a new doctor. I hate the world.

If it turns out that the Zoloft is damaging my liver, will I no longer be able to take any anti-depressants at all? Does anyone know?

Currently on: Zoloft, 137.5mg and Lamotrigine, 25mg for complex PTSD. Trazodone, 100mg for sleep issues.

Past history (hazy memory of): 

1. Paxil / Dosage: don't remember / Tapering: don't remember (2000-2001)

2. Wellbutrin / Dosage: don't remember / Tapering: very short (2005ish, 1 month only)

3. Zoloft / Dosage: 25 or 50mg / Tapering: decreasing abruptly, then going back on it; decreasing and increasing rapidly again, then tapering finally, over the course of a few months. The withdrawal was never completed and I found myself much more depressed. (2007-2009)

4. Xanax / Dosage: smallest (0.5mg?) / Tapering: stopped taking it one day (2010-2012ish)

5. Cymbalta / Dosage: small dose / Tapering: 2-4 weeks (2011ish)

6. Celexa / Dosage: small dose / Tapering: 2-4 weeks (2012ish)

7. Lexapro / Dosage: 5mg-10mg / Tapering: 1-2 weeks (2012ish)

8. Zoloft / Dosage: 25mg, increasing to 50mg, 100mg, 125mg, and 137.5mg. / Tapering : No. (2013-current)

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm at a loss..I'm doing the beyond intro scd mono meals to ease my digestion. I guess I can be grateful the gastritis is calming down with ginger..but now I'm having sharp pain or pressure in my right upper quadrant..radiating to my back...I'm pretty sure its my gallbladder...what do people do for spasms and pain?

Started Zoloft 150 mg 1997 for symptoms of PTSD. 1998 on Ativan for about 2 months. Came off zoloft around 2004. Had terrible feelings of anxiety, loneliness, depression, eating disorder. Hospitalized and placed on Lexapro. Struggled with feelings of dread and SI. Came off lexapro in 2008 to try to have a baby. 2009 miscarried twins. Very depressed and SI. Hospitalized and placed on Cymbalta, remeron and "top" something for about a month. Came off all those without tapers and restarted zoloft 75mg. Then weaned off quick taper. 2010 restarted Lexapro for pms. Within 3 days dread and urges of anxiety, SI returned. Immediately went off of it and restarted zoloft 50 mg. 2013 tapered off Zoloft quickly within 2 months. Used Amino acids to help. I did not know I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms: insomnia, irritability, exhaustion,tinnitus,very sensitive to sounds, very sensitive to scents and chemicals. Severe GI symptoms July 2014. Pain and bloating with all veggies, lost weight, job, marriage. Emotional liability, extreme fear,not feeling safe, trauma resurfacing. Main issue now is severe GI issues, unable to advance foods, extreme small intestine sensitivities, pain, food intolerances, histamine issues, bile reflux, gastritis, gallbladder and liver pain,tinnitus,unable to tolerate supplements at this time. Low energy due to malnourished. Thought I had SIBO. Oh..and I just entered menopause at 47..no period for 1 year.

If you think it's your gall bladder then you really need to get it checked out.  Gall Bladder attacks are no fun at all, one of the most painful things I have ever experienced, and gall bladder disease can be quite dangerous.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd agree with BM.  I had a gall bladder attack and it felt like someone was stabbing me in the back with a knife.  I think I actually passed a stone or grit because nothing showed up when I had a scan later and the pain never returned.

Take care.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I have this for brief periods, it seems to be when I am "detoxing" one way or another. But I had a gallbladder US as well, which was negative. If you don't find anything, it might be a sign of healing.

56 years old

• Administrator

If the pain is in your liver, you must get a liver function test ASAP.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...

I haven't been here for a while. I need some advice please. I take Zoloft, 100mg. For a month or two, after taking it, I get a sensation in what I believe is my liver (left side under the rib), and also sometimes accompanied by a sensation on the right side, under the rib (pancreas, or spleen? no idea...). The sensation is like a pulse of discomfort, and worries me. What could it mean? I know that the liver is not something to toy around with and this scares me. help

I had this while on Prozac, I had lots of tests and everything was clear and eventually it got so severe after 3years I came off Prozac and it settled but still flares up in withdrawal. I think I was in a form of tolerance when it started

Edited by ChessieCat
fixed up quote

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

• 6 months later...

Help, 

I do not know if I have gallbladder attack or just benzo withdrawal.  I have grating feeling on my gallbladder when I feel hungry.  I get better after I eat something.  I had blood works and showed nothing. I had ultrasound and report said:

Findings:
A small amount of sludge is in the gallbladder, but no shadowing stones are
seen.
The CBD measures 3 mm.
A few small simple cysts are seen in the left lobe the liver measuring 10 mm
and 9 mm in size.
The flow in the main portal vein appears normal. No free fluid is seen.
The visualized pancreas appears normal.
Impression:
1. A small amount of sludge seen in the gallbladder but the gallbladder
appears
otherwise normal.
2. A few tiny incidental simple cysts in the left lobe the liver.

Do you think that it is gallblader attack?  Or just benzo?  I am now suffering grating pain on my gallbladder area.  Thank you.

7 years 5 months ago, I took lorazepam  0.5 mg per day for 40 days for sleeping.  After starting taking that medicine, I had negative thoughts and I just dumped the pills.  

I had cold turkey that night and then lived in hell 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2 years.  I thought I would died.

After two years, I had very bad symptoms often coming up to hit me.  You name it and I have it.

After 5 years, I felt better.  But, I could be sick for 2 months if symptoms kicked me badly.  I felt my body improved when a window opens. 

After 6 years, I felt normal most of days but sometimes stress and anxiety hit me.   But, I still had bad bad bad condition for two months in a year and then I got better.

This is my 7 years 7 months off lorazepam.  Most of time I am doing not bad but lately I found that I have pain on liver, gallbladder, stomach, everywhere around my belly.  Hopefully, this is just benzo thing and I can feel better after 2 months.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy