If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Catnapt: Hope I'm doing this right

Lexapro escitalopram

• Please log in to reply
696 replies to this topic

#685 Sertralinsomnia

Sertralinsomnia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

Hi Catnap, how did you prepared 0.6 mg from lamictal?

Also did you start with exacly 0.6 or did you tried first a lower dose than that?

Did it work on the first dose to sleep?

Started zoloft 25 mg on October 2009. Started tapering May 2016 to june 2016, last week at 12,5 mg and quit

Crashed 23 january 2017, severe headache and panic (never had this panic all my life) next morning.Tried to reinstate with prozac 5 mg a day on 25 January 2016, bad choice, got arrhytmias and stopped.

Started propranolol 40 mg as needed on january 2014 - Didnt touch it anymore since January 2017
23/02/17 reinstated to 2 mg, had arritmia at night

24/02/17 changed dose to 0.5 mg - ok

25/02/2017 updose again 1 mg - ok.

26/02/2017 1 mg again, had full night insomnia, like my head was blowing up overstimulated - im sure was side effect zoloft

27/02/2017 skipped dose this day, my brain was overstimulated from last night, i calculated the half lifes from the days before until this day, and even on skipping this day i still had 1.375 mg zoloft on blood.

28/02/2017 stayed at 0.5 mg since then

I know i shouldn´t do this flutuations with the doses upon first reinstating, but at the same time i knew that the ammounts where still close to each other, and my body handled the reducing somehow. Truth said, i felt a little better as soon i reduced to 0.5 mg.

#686 catnapt

catnapt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:27 AM

Hi Catnap, how did you prepared 0.6 mg from lamictal?

Also did you start with exacly 0.6 or did you tried first a lower dose than that?

Did it work on the first dose to sleep?

hi Sertalinsomnia

first, I have to say, I do not know with any certainty that the lamictal is helping me to sleep. It may just be a coincidence, and it may be that I've slightly lowered my lexapro dose.  My recent updose did not work, so I backed down in the dose, but I made a mistake in my measuring and ended up at 0.25. However I am doing well at that dose so will stay there

I know it's not advised to do two changes at once, but it just happened.  :/

Also, the fact that I'm feeling more relaxed could be from many other factors: I am meditating, I have started a mindfulness class, I do yogo and tai chi, I do deep breathing, etc. It could also be a placebo effect of taking the tiny bit of lamictal, the lamictal itself may not be doing ANYTHING.

I have not had ANY side effects from the lamictal at all, no dizziness or nausea or anything.

You also need to know that I have taken lamictal in the past. I was on a much higher dose (at least 200mgs, probably 250, or whatever the "usual" dose is for ppl who have been labelled bipolar)

I did have some very strong side effects at those doses, esp dizziness and a spacey feeling.

for the lamictal, I put the 5mg tablet in a vial with 5mls of water, wait for it to dissolve and draw up 0.6mls (which equals 0.6mgs)

no I didn't exactly start with 0.6mgs- but I'd prefer not to share how I arrived at that dose, as it's not the recommended way to do this.

You really do NOT want to follow what I do. We are all different and what works for one of us, is not necessarily going to work for anyone else.

I would however, strongly recommend the non drug methods of dealing with anxiety and other symptoms- they do work. they aren't a miracle cure, mind you, but you can greatly reduce your amount of distress without drugs.

1974-2002 many psych meds, all types; longest used drugs include lithium, seroquel, SSRI's zoloft & celexa; many CT's off drugs

2002-2015 on varying doses of lexapro, as  high as 40 mgs, but usually 20mgs

June 2015: tapered too fast to 2.5mgs, then to 2.5mgs every other day Dec 2015:  found SA forum; holding at 2.5mgs 

Early May 2016: jumped off at 2.5mgs, not smart- crashed in late Sept.

Oct 26 2016  reinstated liquid lexapro 0.05ml/day at night, dose +/- til settling on 0.15BID (0.3/day)= windows and waves

Jan 8, 2017 too quick switch to single dose in the morning, 0.3mgs (bad mistake, led to a crash)

Jan 12 added low dose zyprexa for SI, took infrequently as rescue med, last dose Feb.15

Jan 26 lexapro 0.27mg Feb 25 lexapro updose back to 0.3mg due to unrelenting severe insomnia

March 1 insomnia got worse, back down to 0.29 for one day, then 0.27, then 0.25- improving!! March 17 0.24

March 7 added low dose lamictal

Supplements: vit D-3, Magnesium taurate 250mg, chromium, pro-biotic, biotin, valerian root, L-theanine

#687 catnapt

catnapt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

quick update: I went up to 1mg of lamictal last night and had my best sleep yet. No, I did not sleep any longer than usual, or maybe just a half hour longer, but the sleep was restful and good.

I did have a cortisol spike that was pretty intense, almost took my breath away, so I may  back down to 0.9 mgs tonight (I went from 0.8 to 1mg) and see if that makes a difference.

I don't often have the cortisol spikes any more but when I do, it's usually got more to do with eating past 7pm or eating something  heavy. I also have worse night sweats if I eat a lot of fatty foods the day before. (last night I was still eating at 9 pm, so the cortisol spike was probably because of that, and not the lamictal)

so, things are chugging along.

as always, remember we are all different and your mileage may vary so please don't think that lamictal would be the "cure" for your insomnia, if you're dealing with that.

I can't, even now, say for sure that it is lamictal that is helping me to sleep more deeply, there's an almost equal chance that this would have happened anyway, as part of my pattern of healing gradually over the past many months

I am still at 0.25mgs of lexapro and will be holding there for a month, then I think, if everything is going well, I will start a slow taper, going down NOT by 10% but instead this way: 0.25 to 0.24 to 0.23 to 0.22 etc til I get down to tiny tiny tiny bits

I expect this will take about 2 yrs. I don't care that it will take a long time, so long as I am able to manage the symptoms. there's no reason to rush this!!

1974-2002 many psych meds, all types; longest used drugs include lithium, seroquel, SSRI's zoloft & celexa; many CT's off drugs

June 2015: tapered too fast to 2.5mgs, then to 2.5mgs every other day Dec 2015:  found SA forum; holding at 2.5mgs 

Oct 26 2016  reinstated liquid lexapro 0.05ml/day at night, dose +/- til settling on 0.15BID (0.3/day)= windows and waves

Jan 8, 2017 too quick switch to single dose in the morning, 0.3mgs (bad mistake, led to a crash)

Jan 12 added low dose zyprexa for SI, took infrequently as rescue med, last dose Feb.15

Jan 26 lexapro 0.27mg Feb 25 lexapro updose back to 0.3mg due to unrelenting severe insomnia

March 1 insomnia got worse, back down to 0.29 for one day, then 0.27, then 0.25- improving!! March 17 0.24

Supplements: vit D-3, Magnesium taurate 250mg, chromium, pro-biotic, biotin, valerian root, L-theanine

#688 catnapt

catnapt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

I'll add this to my signature soon, but for now, this is a summary of what I've done with the low dose lamictal. Please note, I have taken lamictal in the past, this is not a new drug for me. Also please note that I do NOT advise that anyone else do this. In general, adding drugs during withdrawal is NOT what you want to do, if you can avoid it.

I made a decision based solely on my circumstances, yours will be VERY different.

please keep that in mind!!

3/7 took 0.2 mgs of lamictal at 10 pm, 12midnight, 2 am and 4 am for a total of 0.8 mgs (don't ask why I did it this way, I don't have an answer- taking a single dose would have made more sense,I  know, I know!!)

3/8 took 0.6mgs at 9pm and 0.2mgs at 2 am- total 0.8 mgs ((felt calmer this night and every night since))

3/9 took 0.8 mgs at 9pm and 0.2mgs at 2 am  (oops just realized this was 1mg total)

3/10 took 0.8mgs at 9 pm and none the rest of the night, woke up around 4 and didn't feel like getting up to take any more, too relaxed :)

3/11 took 1mg at around 9 or 10 pm- best night sleep so far, fell asleep before 11pm and woke up around 4, so that's actually an extra hour of sleep, over my normal high of 4 hrs.

I have not had any side effects from the lamictal. I plan to stay at 1mg and watch carefully for any signs of trouble as this drug MUST be dosed carefully. too little= no benefit, too much= paradoxical effects!

If I am understanding the thread about lamictal, the dose that works at one time, may indeed change over time, so I really need to be paying attention to my symptoms and be ready to adjust the dose as needed.

I do NOT recommend this for anyone else. I took a big chance trying it myself, I know this.

please do not make any decisions based on MY experience, yours most likely will NOT be the same. We are all very different people here!!

#689 MNgal1960

MNgal1960

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hope the lamictal works out well for you, cat.

And I still think you have the cutest avatar ever!

2005-2006 Rapid taper off of Zoloft. Horrible but survived. Adverse drug reaction to Prozac.

2010-2013 Night panics. All typical sleep aids failed. Diagnosed with complex PTSD.

2013-present: Valium (5mg x 3) prescribed by pro-benzo doctor. Helped me sleep for awhile. Then sleep began to get worse again.

Nov. 2014 Switched doctors. New doctor was anti-benzo but thought a 3-month taper was a slow taper. Failed and reinstated. Added 25mg Seroquel for sleep.

Sept. 2015 Made occasional very small dry cuts to the Seroquel. Down to 20mg. Did not notice much change in symptoms.

March 2016 Reduced gabapentin by 20% by accident and backed up again. (Was trying to feel less sedated.) Reduced again more slowly to 200+200+300.

Sept 2016 Down to 16.5mg of Seroquel. Disabling neuropathy and sleep poor. Backed up to 19mg. Improved.

October 2016 Liquefied one V tablet. Neuropathy back immediately. Waiting to liquefy another.

November 2016 All 3 tablets now dissolved. I think the windows are getting a little more frequent but they don't last long. Sleep poor.

January 2017 Felt stable enough to try daily microtaper. Started at 3% and inched up to almost 10%. Became very unstable. Terrors back. Neuropathy back.

February 2017 Holding again. Slow improvements.

March 2017 Neuropathy back to tolerable. Making very tiny cuts, about 3%/month.

#690 catnapt

catnapt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

Hope the lamictal works out well for you, cat.

And I still think you have the cutest avatar ever!

thanks MN!!

Here's a video of two of my girls, the black one is Emma, the one who sticks her head under the water, that is PattyCake or Patty for short.

this video is from last June. Many rats are afraid of water, at least initially, but not Patty LOL

https://youtu.be/Pw78-mrv1cQ

The girls were not yet a year old in this video, now they are about 1 1/2. Rats generally only live for 2 to 3 yrs, very short lives, but they cram a LOT of living into that time.

They thoroughly enjoy every minute; I'm trying to learn that from them, to be more in the moment and to squeeze every bit of joy and wonder out of it.

#691 catnapt

catnapt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

here's another video of a bunch of my girls, fishing frozen veggies out of water:

https://youtu.be/xKClGDs7La0

of the girls in this video, only Patty and Emma are with me now, the other girls were already pretty old and passed away over the summer.

#692 catnapt

catnapt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

update- 7 days now on super low dose lamictal, it does appear to make me feel calmer and my sleep is much better, more restful. I don't sleep a lot longer, mind you, and in fact I had a short night last night (slept from like 11 to not even 2 am :/) but I'd spent yesterday doing nothing but reading, so there was no reason for me to be tired.

I generally get about 4hrs of sleep but compared to before, I seem to be sleeping deeper and feel much more rested when I wake up.

also-taking stock, one month later.

On Feb 13th, these were the symptoms I had, those with a line thru them are the ones that are gone, or have changed, as noted:

*ringing in my ears, mostly only at night or when it's quiet MOSTLY GONE

*insomnia, esp waking up after falling asleep for an initial 60 to 90 min period IMPROVED, NOW SLEEP 4HRS, occasionally more

*emotional anesthesia and some anhedonia; some mild to moderate depression

*some nasal congestion that might actually be a mild cold or allergy?

*temp disregulation, mostly I get hot flashes/night sweats, I had these before tapering so that may just be hormonal, but I also can't eat or drink anything without getting very hot afterward. SOMEWHAT IMPROVED

*dissociation (but not as often nor as severe) AT LEAST MODERATELY IMPROVED

*trouble thinking clearly, finding the right word, trouble with my memory (not as bad as before) ONLY MILD NOW

*anxiety, intrusive thoughts, mostly more depressing but sometimes also fearful, some free floating anxiety now, just MILD SHORT LIVED ANXIETY

*neuro emotions (this is more recent, don't recall having these last fall to the present)

new symptoms include some lack of motivation, and trouble doing things that used to be easy for me. For instance, I used to sew every day, now it takes me forever to remember the steps to take, and I get anxious about messing things up (and then, I do mess it up LOL)

I still don't feel like I'm connected to myself and my emotions, but it's not as distressing as it was in the past.

having read some great success stories lately, I know that my emotions will return eventually.

I've always been a very emotional person, I'd get really happy, almost giddy. During the years when I  was menstruating, I had a lot of trouble with PMS and irritability and mood swings, but I'm well into menopause now, and just have night sweats

I always had a really great feeling any time I accomplished something. I have always been very goal oriented, so the way I am now is very unsettling to me.

It takes me a long time to decide what to do each day, and then it takes me a long time to actually do it. I used to rush from one activity to another, and never felt like I had enough time.
now it seems like all i have is TIME! hahaha

the days are long when you don't sleep for more than 4 hrs

but I'm dealing with it. I don't like it, but I'm finding ways to accept it and to get thru.

I wish this was a more positive update. Well actually, it IS a positive update, based on the facts alone. I guess what I mean is, I wish I felt more pleased with it.

it seems ironic that I'm past the acute withdrawal and all that horrible stuff, and now I can't feel the relief that I actually have. I have relief in my thoughts, but I don't FEEL it, do you know what I mean?

:P

#693 MNgal1960

MNgal1960

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:22 AM

You're right in what your thinking brain says. This is progress! I'm sorry your feeling brain is not coming along right now, but it will. And I know just what you mean. The feelings are often way out of touch with the reality.

2005-2006 Rapid taper off of Zoloft. Horrible but survived. Adverse drug reaction to Prozac.

2010-2013 Night panics. All typical sleep aids failed. Diagnosed with complex PTSD.

2013-present: Valium (5mg x 3) prescribed by pro-benzo doctor. Helped me sleep for awhile. Then sleep began to get worse again.

Nov. 2014 Switched doctors. New doctor was anti-benzo but thought a 3-month taper was a slow taper. Failed and reinstated. Added 25mg Seroquel for sleep.

Sept. 2015 Made occasional very small dry cuts to the Seroquel. Down to 20mg. Did not notice much change in symptoms.

March 2016 Reduced gabapentin by 20% by accident and backed up again. (Was trying to feel less sedated.) Reduced again more slowly to 200+200+300.

Sept 2016 Down to 16.5mg of Seroquel. Disabling neuropathy and sleep poor. Backed up to 19mg. Improved.

October 2016 Liquefied one V tablet. Neuropathy back immediately. Waiting to liquefy another.

November 2016 All 3 tablets now dissolved. I think the windows are getting a little more frequent but they don't last long. Sleep poor.

January 2017 Felt stable enough to try daily microtaper. Started at 3% and inched up to almost 10%. Became very unstable. Terrors back. Neuropathy back.

#694 catnapt

catnapt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

update, my only current symptom is some sleep disturbance. Not going to call it insomnia because I do get some sleep, and I have even been asleep long enough to dream

currently on 10mgs of lamictal at night and 0.24mgs of lexapro in the morning.
yes, that's right, I've continued to cautiously slide down in the lex dose. it's working, so..... why not?

and yes I know, I now have a new drug that I'll need to get off of, at some point, but to finally be free of almost all symptoms, it's worth it to me.

#695 MNgal1960

MNgal1960

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

That sounds wonderful, cat. Sleep is a really wonderful thing! :)

#696 Blondiee1915

Blondiee1915

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

That is amazing ! You went from having a long list of symptoms to having only one now. Good job ! I am so glad that you are getting your sleep now finally ! Hopefully good pleasant dreams :)

Lexapro 20 mg since 2007 until 2013 with various attempts to stop.  Most lasted 3 months, was forced to reinstate due to severe symptoms 

During 2013 found a new dr and started trying other medications:  Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil (each med about 2-4 months).  

MOI Nardil (about 1 year 2014-2015) which did help with anxiety, but caused ALOT of weight and had a food reaction that sent me to ER.  

Lexapro 10 mg 2015 -2016, few months 15 mg

Vibryiid 05/16-06/16 10-15 mg 

Started to withdraw from Vibryiid around mid June with last dose in early July 16.  Felt pretty good for the whole summer. Some anxiety, dizziness, short fuse, some weakness but okay overall. Comes October - dizziness, spinning, off balance feeling, FATIGUE, anxiety, fear, racing thoughts, insomnia, DP/DR

Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro.  Some relief, sleep better, severe DP/DR decreased.  Still very anxious, exhausted, dizzy. 

Switched 12/26/16 Luvox 50 mg (25 mg am and 25 mg pm).  Dizziness, exhaustion, anxiety, sleeping ALOT 

1/13/17 switched to one dose of Luvox 50 mg before bed.  EXHAUSTED, sleeping ALOT, dizzy, weakness, off balance, anxiety 

1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg before bed

Supplements: iron, fish oil, vitamin D, methyl folate

#697 catnapt

catnapt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:23 AM

thanks MN and Blondie

:)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lexapro, escitalopram