SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Happy2Heal: Hope I'm doing this right

Happy2Heal

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi!

I just wanted to drop in and say Hello from one cat lover to another, since I saw your thread pop to the top.  My hubby and I have five cats!  We just got one out of the hospital today after a urinary blockage.  We came home from an out-of-town Christmas to find he had been blocked and had gone toxic, so to the emergency vet Monday night finally cleared to come home today.  This cat has been bitten by rattlesnakes three times and lived to tell about it, so he's used up more than four lives so far!  

I'm so glad you have stabilized!  I hope 2016 gets you where you want to go with your taper, trouble-free!

SG

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Mentor

Hi SG!! oh so sorry about your boy with the blockage, eep! that's one reason I have had mostly girl cats, I was always afraid I'd get a boy who would end up blocked...

so what happens? My last girl ended up, not with blockage, but some sort of urinary issue where she was peeing blood. talk about scary!

hahahah Five cats, well you know what they say, cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one. ;-)

I only have pet rats now, but still adore the kitties. <3

thanks so much for the warm wishes.

had a bit of a hiccup today, some very fuzzy thinking, and some odd anxiety but not anxiety... er, hard to describe. Restlessness, I guess. Not pleasant but not horrible

and a bit of dizziness too.

The funny thing is, when these things happen, rather than being upset, I tell myself, yep, that's my brain healing from those awful chemicals,

it's not fun now, but it's going to get better.

overall, I feel better than I have in a very long time! and I have something I never thought I'd have again, and that is HOPE!
It's made such a difference finally KNOWING what was happening to me. It's "just withdrawal"- I am not going crazy, and I do not have some mysterious disease that no one can diagnose. Cuz that's what I was thinking, til I found this forum!!

can't believe how lucky I am, seriously. =)

here's to a great New Year! *clinks glasses of herbal tea*

;-)

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus

you have a wonderful attitude, and I am so glad you found the forum and that what you have learned here has helped you be at peace with your withdrawal symptoms.   I just keep trying to remind people that those nasty symptoms are actually signs of HEALING, thank you Baylissa Fredericks!  

Yup, our kitty is doing fine now.  I've been an animal health zealot, feeding my dogs and cats raw diets, but we used kibble for vacations, and then my hubby started giving the cats kibble (we call it kitty crack) in the mornings when he first got up.  I noticed someone was peeing outside the box occasionally but didn't know who.  Then, we went full-time kibble for Christmas vacation, and bingo - blockage!  Kibble is bad stuff for cats!  Too dehydrating and too much carbohydrate for cats who are obligate carnivores.  Our vet said you don't see barn cats with this condition.  So, no more kibble here!  

Anyway, I still can't believe your p-doc terminated you for trying to taper!  Wow!  I guess the only thing to do is either find a doc who is supportive of tapering, or find a new one and just lie and say you are staying at the same dose, using him to get your refills.

Mine is ok with me wanting to go off my meds, but thinks I am OCD for doing the 10% method and weighing my drugs!  I think I am a source of amusement for him!

Happy New Year!

SG

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Mentor

Happy New Year SG!!

glad your boy is ok. I'm a bit of a zealot about animal health too, hahaha, but was never able to stomach doing a raw meat diet for my last cat (didn't know about it before) I've had two diabetic cats and 4 with kidney disease.. and two with inflammatory bowel disease, so yeh, you learn fast when you got sick ones. :/ 

now I spend my free time educating people about the proper diet for pet rats, which is almost the opposite of the diet for cats! high carbs, low fat and low protein. It took me a while for my brain to make the switch, hahaha

oh, I dont' have a p-doc (I am assuming you mean psychiatrist?) haven't had one for a long time. If I did have one, I'd be in worse shape, as every single psych doc has put me on multiple meds!!

it was my PCP who was rxing my meds but she had a major control problem, I am seeing now, in hindsight. I kinda knew it all along, as I tried several times over the past er, 10 yrs or so? to get a different doc, but I never tried hard enough, and she never "approved" it. Sounds utterly insane to me, now, that I *let* her do this, tell me who I could see for a doctor??!! seriously??! but I cut myself a lot of slack on this one, cuz I *was* over medicated and had almost no motivation to do ANYTHING. and that complaint was got me multiple warnings to find a shrink for my "worsening depression" and to, at all costs, stay on that damn drug!

It shocks me now, hindsight being 20/20 and all (well, with my poor vision, lets make that 20/40, heh)

oh that's funny your doc thinks you're OCD. sigh.

Drs just don't get it.

I had a um, interesting turn of events the last two days. I am hesitant to write about it, being it's so personal and all, but um, what the heck.  I discovered that the sexual side effects of loss of libido and inability to have an orgasm from the lexapro, um, that's no longer the case now.

talk about healing!! whoa. *blush*

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey, I'm thrilled that you shared that little tidbit about sexual functioning, gives me hope!!!

I also had scripts renewed by GPs over the years rather than working with a p-doc, and though I tripped along over the years on drugs without anyone questioning why I was still on them, I guess it could be worse as I might have ended up poly-drugged as well!  And we are the patient, with the doctor supposing to know more than us, so we ought not be too hard on ourselves, right?  Shoot, we made it here somehow, and that's a blessing!

Here's to 2016 being the year we ROCK!

SG

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, you must be chuffed at regaining some "normal" sexual functioning - nice job (lol).

Be aware these abilities may "come and go" , no pun intended , as you recover.

;)

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Well done ☺

I've started taking antidepressants in 2001. I took Cipramil for 3 years. Elflexor for 1 year. Lexapro 10mg - 20mg since 1992 approximately.

STARTING DOSE 20mg Lexapro 2016

19mg Lexapro (3rd January 2016)-Taper 5%

18mg Lexapro (8th February 2O16)-Taper 5%

17mg Lexapro (? March 2016) - Taper 5% -

16mg (16th May 2016) Taper 5 %

17mg (21st August 2016) + 5%

16mg (3rd January 2017) - 5%

15mg (4th February 2017) -5

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

• Mentor

*blush* well um, I just answered the call of nature I guess you'd say, nothing to be congratulated for...  *blush*

I'm shocked to have, er, gotten the call at all.  it's been literally years, possibly as long as a decade. yes, so long I don't remember :/

now three nights in a row. um, yeh, chuffed, you say? I had to look that up. yes, indeed, chuffed

=)

• Mentor

update on how the w/d is going:

episodes of dizziness or light headedness are now few and far between, and extremely brief when they do occur

I didn't mention this before because it sounded so bizarre, but every day at around 4 or 5 pm, I get stuffed up and start sneezing and feel like I'm getting the flu. I also get this feeling like it's hard to breathe, like something is blocking my nose from the outside. odd!

this lasts an hour at most. very strange. this is also becoming briefer and milder!!

I am still focusing more on my good fortune in finding this forum and getting answers to what was happening to me; it's hard for to think about the bad stuff, I don't want to think about it. I want to move forward and leave all that stuff in the past. But I guess some record of how bad it was will be helpful, if not for me, maybe for  someone else. Imagine my surprise when my sexual er, success hahahaha! turned out to be something that gives others hope! so I will try to put in as much as I can tolerate putting in this journal.

you know, I had chills when I read the "windows and waves" information here

I have been saying repeated to my different doctors that the symptoms I was having came in waves.

the doctors seemed to be coming to the conclusion that I was either making this up (for attention) or was depressed and just not noticing the actual duration. in any case, I was getting a lot of flack, for lack of a better term, from the drs. When my answer to their question was "I don't know" , they would pressure me for some other answer. I don't know was not an answer, I was told (thinking back on this now, I find that extremely disrespectful if not abusive!)

I would repeat, "I honestly do not know, but IF I had to guess, I'd say____" (usually the questions were about when things started, or got worse, etc, mostly time based questions)

then later on, if something I said conflicted with this forced GUESS, the jackass dr would say "BUT YOU SAID this happened at such and such a time"

grrrrrrr

I can't dwell on this stuff because It makes me SO angry. honestly, what the  HELL were they trying to prove?

it appears from the termination letter from my doctor that there were trying to paint me a liar!!

for what reason, I have no clue!!

I never want to see another doctor as long as I live.

I am on blood pressure medication and if I can lose enough weight and possibly go on the DASH diet (which is very low sodium) and IF I can get my blood pressure to go down to 130/85 without meds, I will seriously consider not taking that med either

I also take celebrex for pain and I am hoping that once I thru with withdrawal that I don't need that either.
I have tried to go off it a couple of times but the pain is too much.

and I was on an anti coagulant but I have stopped that. I might go back on that when I am 65 (in 5yrs) but ONLY IF I've had an actual verified episode of atrial fibrillation before then

back to symptoms of WD: the ups and downs with feeling super cold and then super hot, those have diminished a lot. I have a few hot "flushes" mostly late at night that are more consistent with normal menopausal hot flashes. Not more horrible cold spells! whew! that's really good cuz the weather here has turned cold! it would be twice as bad, I imagine, if I was already cold inside my own body

I hope that others reading this will have hope that things can get better. I have skimmed a few threads and they are so sad and so scary. I have gone thru much of the same things in the past few years of trying multiple times to go off these meds, without any guidance,

and it was horrible and I don't know how I survived. I did, but it wasn't easy and I am just so grateful that I made it thru it.

my heart goes out to those who dont' make it, and to their families.

this is all such a needless tragedy.

I don't know what the future holds for me, but at least now I feel in charge of my fate, at least way more so than at any other time in the past.

I also know that I have been thru hell and survived it, so no matter how bad *things* might get, I have that strength to draw on.

I was never a drinker but the AA motto of one day at a time seems esp relevant for going thru WD

or even one hour, or one moment at a time.

eta: I can see that I am still having some cognitive issues, writing is hard. i miss words. reading is also hard, I have mis read many things from others, my mind seems to fill in or change the things I"m reading.

I hope this will get better soon. ON the one hand I feel much "clearer' but on the other hand, I can see in reading over what I've written that I am still quite fuzzy in my head and thinking.

This makes me hopeful that actual BEING clear headed will soon follow the illusion or the feeling that I have now, that I *am* clear headed!!!

you too huh !

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote after member name change

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Mentor

yeh really!! :P

but this is, for the most part, a good thing.

I look back over the past er, I don't know how long! and realize that a lot of the problems I hoped or expected the drs to fix are things I can do for myself

I probably knew that on some level. maybe? I don't know. but this has given me the kick in the butt to take control over my own life and stop waiting for whatever I was waiting for... permission? to just DO IT!

it's like waking up from this long and horrible nightmare.

and wondering why I didn't realize it wasn't a nightmare, it was my real life,

MY real life,

and only I had the power to wake up and make it better.

NZ11 or NZ666, hmmm yeh I"ve been stalking your thread, got some fun stuff there

uh uh

hopefully my fun side will surface soon

• Moderator Emeritus

I have had that happen, too!  Sometimes first thing in the morning while lying down.  Once it happened after a meal, but I stupidly didn't write down what I ate!  I guess a lot of these meds affect the H1 histamine receptor, so as that gets freed up the allergies flare up.  It's always been something of interest to me but not worth doing anything about.  I've also had bouts of itching here and there.  I'm pretty stoic when it comes to physical discomforts.  I'll take them over the mental stuff any day!

SG

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

That's so weird . . . I get the sneezing too!

Every single day , around 5-7pm , I do 5 or 6 big sneezes in a row. Then none for the next 24 hours.

It makes me laugh because I have an extremely loud sneeze , and I know the neighbours can hear.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

That made me laugh, Fresh!  Just last night I had a series of very loud sneezes!  My husband always says "geesh, you alright?!!"

SG

• Mentor

quick update:

had a few days with insomnia, just trying to work around it

memory is pretty bad, forget some things almost immediately.

gonna try to focus better.

oh temps up and down again too

I didn't take my celebrex today (a cox-2 NSAID) I wonder if that has anything to do with the temp fluctuations coming back..?

gonna go take that now so i can sleep, the pain in my thigh is bad.

• Mentor

update:

things seem pretty stable. My sleep/wake cycle is off again so I'm working on that.

got the suspending solution to mix the meds, it worked well, I mixed it with half agave syrup.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good news!  Nice to see some positivity!  

Could you tell me the name of the suspension liquid? I've seen it before but my poor brain can't deal with trying to find it through the threads - amazing how the withdrawal brain can drop information!  I have to read and re-read things and still don't remember a split second after it's not right in front of me!

SG

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Mentor
On 1/14/2016 at 1:29 PM, SquirrellyGirl said:

Good news!  Nice to see some positivity!  

Could you tell me the name of the suspension liquid? I've seen it before but my poor brain can't deal with trying to find it through the threads - amazing how the withdrawal brain can drop information!  I have to read and re-read things and still don't remember a split second after it's not right in front of me!

SG

oh yeh I totally understand that.

I feel like my brain goes off on long walks and forgets to come back

heh

ok the name of the suspension liquid is 

Ora-Plus Oral Suspending Vehicle By Paddock

:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GGHSQM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

it's pricey but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run. it is DEFINITELY a lot easier to mix the meds- the powder stays suspended, I don't even (seem to) need to shake  it (but I do, just in case!)

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Moderator Emeritus

Ah, gave me a chuckle there 🙂  Thanks for the info!  I'm hoping to eventually get the SolTabs of mirt Rx'd but this will be my back-up plan.  Last time I saw my doc I asked him for the SolTabs and watched him typing the script to be sent to the pharmacy, but when I got there they had no record of it ever being submitted!

SG

Edited by ChessieCat

• Mentor

well that's weird! at least your doc agreed to do it- mine flipped out and told me I was going too fast tapering- but sent in the Rx for 5mgs (when I'm taking 2.5mgs) and told me to take 5mgs daily for a month and then 2.5mgs for a month, then stop.

uh, yeh, but *I'm* going too fast?!?!

just another example of her not listening. the infuriating thing is, my medical record is FULL of her "version" of things, that's not even close to what has actually happened.

I feel like I should file an official complaint but I don't know how much good that would do. or if it's even possible. I don't want to waste any more of MY time or energy on this crap- but some day, I might actually need a doctor, and if they read and believe what's in my records, it likely sounds like I'm a total nut case

but the reality is, she's the nutcase!!

grrr!

• Moderator Emeritus

Conserve your energy- have you considered getting a new doctor? It's good to have someone you trust on board.

I was interested to read about the suspension liquid , and found a thread about it here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3068-pharmaceutical-liquids-to-make-suspensions/

You might want to add your experience to it.

Cheers , Fresh

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Mentor
On 1/14/2016 at 3:39 PM, Fresh said:

Conserve your energy - have you considered getting a new doctor? It's good to have someone you trust on board.

I was interested to read about the suspension liquid , and found a thread about it here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3068-pharmaceutical-liquids-to-make-suspensions/

You might want to add your experience to it.

Cheers , Fresh

thanks Fresh

I have an appt with a new doc in April, just to meet her and get a new prescription for my pain/hypertension meds. I have to have a doctor to prescribe those, otherwise I honestly would be done with doctors.

I hope to eventually lose enough wt and get in shape so that I don't need those meds or ANY meds.

I think the celebrex is what caused the high blood pressure! I have an identical twin sister who is approx the same wt and she does not have hypertension, so it's likely not genetic.

I keep reading that diet and exercise can reverse hypertension, I sure hope that's true.

My diet is good, not fantastic but much better than it's ever been before. I've been discouraged because the gastoenterologist said I need to eat a low FODMAP diet, and that means adding back carbs that I'd been cutting out or reducing.

Grrr!

adding back white potatoes and white rice has helped my digestive issues but NOT my weight. My wt went back up and now it's stalled. (I'd been very slowly losing wt)

My cholesterol is fantastic, and I had a c reactive protein and sed rate done recently and according to the results of those, I have an extremely low risk of heart disease/heart attack and very low inflammation in my body.

my c reactive protein has actually been cut in half since becoming vegan and also eating a LOT less sugar.

:)

random  blood sugar tests (fasting and not) have gone down from 90-110 range to 70's.

so I know I'm healthier, but my wt is not budging. Not that I'm really trying to lose wt right now, but I am thinking I should get serious about it

soon

soon-ish, maybe

lol

😉

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Mentor

I suck at math. I'm tapering off lexapro and have been holding at 2.5mg

I originally started out cutting up a 20mg tablet, but then I switched to mixing it with water, at a 2:1 ratio, so my dose was 1.25ccs, right?

gawd I hope I at least got that right. :P

well I got the suspending solution recommended here at SA and decided to mix up two tablets at one time- I usually do just one.

SO, if I remember correctly (and as I'm writing this, I'm thinking I should probably toss out what I made and start over!)

if I recall what I did, I crushed two tablets (40mgs) and added 10mLs of the suspending stuff and10mls of syrup (agave) to make a 2:1 concentration, right?

so the dose should have stayed at 1.25ccs, right?

noooooooo that's not what happened.

First off, when I made the solution, I was eager to see what it tasted like, so I drew up what I thought was a full dose, and took it.

um,

I take my dose at 1pm every day (don't ask why that odd hour, it's a long long story)

and I'd already taken it that day

so, that was screw up #1

Then, I realized oh- I don't know when- that not only was I using the wrong syringe to draw up the med, I was also using the wrong dose. I got it in my head that it was 2mgs or 2ccs, which is not the same thing, not with a 2:1 concentration

but I was using a 1cc syringe!! No idea why. I'd been using a 5cc syringe

so, for one day, I took my normal dose, plus an extra 0.2 ccs

then the next day, I took 0.2ccs and the day after that...

Until today, when I realized my mistake

I did almost immediately start having dizziness and some trouble sleeping and stuff, but thought it was that tiny extra I took on the day that I mixed up the solution (because I'd thought I'd taken a full second dose)

no, I can't explain how I got all these numbers messed up, I really can't.

HOWEVER- this is where I'm at now, due to math mistakes, I've been taking just 0.2ccs, or 0.4mgs of lexapro

a big jump downward from the 2.5mgs I was on

oh someone, please check my math! LOL I dont' know if I'm getting any of this right at this point

so now that I've been at this lower dose for at least 4 days, probably 5 but possibly as much as 6 days..........

is it ok to stay at this dose?

should I go back up in dose, and if so, how much?

the WD is not horrible with this big of a cut in dose, it's not wonderful, but it's bearable

since I am eager to get off this med as soon as I can and be done with it, I'd like to stay at the lower dose, OR only go up a tiny bit

what do you think is the best course of action at this point?

and YES I need to keep better records, and write stuff down and have someone else check my math.

:/

Hi -- Don't panic it will all be fine.  There shouldn't be much damage from the wrong dosing and the symptoms will sort them selves out with a little time.

Your math is correct, so you did come up with a 2:1 solution like you wanted. Top marks.

The double dose on the first day may have set things off for a few days, but if the symptoms weren't extreme, as in ton of bricks, then you didn't have an adverse reaction and things will settle out pretty quickly.

I am confused on the rest of the doses because you are saying 2cc and 0.2cc there is a big difference between the two.  Which one is it?  If it's 2cc than you have updosed a bit.  If it's 0.2cc you have taken a very severe reduction.  If what you wrote above is true then you've taken an 85% drop, which is not a good thing. Trying to ride it out would not be a good idea, as things could get much worse.  It would be best to get back to the 2.5mg dose.  Then it could take several weeks for things to sort them selves out.

With a 2:1 solution (2mg of pill per 1ml of solution) to get a dose of 2.5mg you want to take 1.25ml of solution.  You got this right, top marks again.

The most accurate way to measure it would be with the 1cc syringe filling it once and the a second time only 1/4 full. If you want to use the 5cc syringe then a good idea would be to put a piece of masking tape on it and mark the 1.25 level with a thin line.  Makes it a lot easier to spot the right place to fill to.

Keeping written records and instructions is very important.  Write out the instructions and formula for making the solution so you can follow them exactly each time you mix up a batch.  Then keep daily records of how much you're taking and how you measured the dose.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Awesome Brass, I was hoping you'd come by this thread and wave your maths wand :).

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Mentor
On 1/18/2016 at 6:48 AM, brassmonkey said:

Hi -- Don't panic it will all be fine.  There shouldn't be much damage from the wrong dosing and the symptoms will sort them selves out with a little time.

Your math is correct, so you did come up with a 2:1 solution like you wanted. Top marks. thank you! :D

The double dose on the first day may have set things off for a few days, but if the symptoms weren't extreme, as in ton of bricks, then you didn't have an adverse reaction and things will settle out pretty quickly.

I am confused on the rest of the doses because you are saying 2cc and 0.2cc there is a big difference between the two.  Which one is it?  If it's 2cc than you have updosed a bit.  If it's 0.2cc you have taken a very severe reduction.  If what you wrote above is true then you've taken an 85% drop, which is not a good thing. Trying to ride it out would not be a good idea, as things could get much worse.  It would be best to get back to the 2.5mg dose.  Then it could take several weeks for things to sort them selves out.

OK yes, this is where I also confused myself, as well. lol :blink:

I couldn't find my larger syringe, so picked up a 1cc syringe that I use for medicating my rats (they take tiny doses, as you can imagine)

so I only filled this 1cc syringe to the "2" mark, or wait, let me get out my magnifier, it says 0.2 :P

It seemed off, but at the same time, the taste was so strong, I "felt" like maybe it had been the right dose. :blush:  in spite of my misgivings, I was just too lazy-distracted-tired?? to check. Big mistake. I am regretting that today. :(

so, yes I did reduce a LOT making this mistake. :blush:

today I got up late (I am going to bed when most ppl are getting up, and then getting up in late afternoon) Two hours past when I usually take my dose, and I felt horrible, ~ still do, in fact.

and since it takes my computer *forever* to boot up,  I could end up being another hour late with my dose if I waited to check to see if there were replies to my post about dosing, etc,

so I took out my handy dandy pill cutter, and cut up a 20mgs tablet into 8ths and took one of those. Back to my 2.5mg dose ;)  where I will stay for at least a month.

Now I got me some card stock and my largest Sharpie and I'm making a med chart  :excl:  to put in the pantry so I can see it clearly, even on days when my vision is bad, like today.

One of my WD symptoms is severe vision problems. It has to be a WD symptom. I saw many ophthalmologists and none of them could find any thing wrong with my eyes that could cause the "off and on" problems that I've been having!!

I thought I was losing my eyesight, so while this symptom is distressing to me, it's good to know it's going to get better, IF I just get a handle on my tapering doses and stick to them properly. grrr! so frustrated with myself.

When I am feeling more clear-headed I'm going to mix up a new batch of liquid, but right now, I just want to lay down and ride this out.

and ask myself, why is it I always have to learn things the hard way?? :blush:

With a 2:1 solution (2mg of pill per 1ml of solution) to get a dose of 2.5mg you want to take 1.25ml of solution.  You got this right, top marks again.

The most accurate way to measure it would be with the 1cc syringe filling it once and the a second time only 1/4 full. If you want to use the 5cc syringe then a good idea would be to put a piece of masking tape on it and mark the 1.25 level with a thin line.  Makes it a lot easier to spot the right place to fill to.

Keeping written records and instructions is very important.  Write out the instructions and formula for making the solution so you can follow them exactly each time you mix up a batch.  Then keep daily records of how much you're taking and how you measured the dose.

thanks this is what I'm going to do now.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh deary me , you'll feel better soon.

Reminds me of the time I took two extra lexapro 20mg's , thinking they were paracetamol (I picked up the wrong card of tablets).

Best to stay with the 2.5mg. As brassmonkey said , it's just too big of a drop to try and stabilize on 0.4mg.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Mentor
On 1/18/2016 at 9:53 AM, Fresh said:

Oh deary me , you'll feel better soon.

Reminds me of the time I took two extra lexapro 20mg's , thinking they were paracetamol (I picked up the wrong card of tablets).

Best to stay with the 2.5mg. As brassmonkey said , it's just too big of a drop to try and stabilize on 0.4mg.

thanks hon.

oh glad to know I'm not the only one, heh- 

I once took a laxative instead of one of the supplements I was on at the time, oh my, what a shock that was later on. :ph34r:

I really need to pay more attention to this stuff!

it's just after decades of popping pills (all prescription pills, mind you! hahaha) I guess it's easy to get complacent and not really think about it too much any more,

sorta like you don't think about brushing your teeth, it's just automatic

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

Looks like you're back on track.  Now just keep calm as things settle out.

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Mentor

thanks Brass

wow, I really wish these drugs came with much bigger scarier warnings!!

while I *am* glad to know what is wrong with me (withdrawal- no one knew what was causing all the odd symptoms I was having and I was starting to think I had some rare and potentially fatal disease!)

it really sucks to have to go thru this

and to lose so much time out of my life.

the past few days have been pretty rocky but I'm riding it out.

I am so angry at the drug companies that I want to boycott them all. If I could find something natural that would take the place of my celebrex I surely would stop taking that too,  but I can't tolerate the pain when I stop taking it.

• Administrator

I have never heard of anyone adding agave syrup to Ora-Plus, or any other liquid drug suspension. Why did you choose to do that?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

I have never heard of anyone adding agave syrup to Ora-Plus, or any other liquid drug suspension. Why did you choose to do that?

I read the reviews of the product on amazon.com as well as the product instructions on the bottle

on amazon many ppl buy this to compound meds for their pets, which is in fact the second reason I bought it, I have pet rats who need tiny tiny doses of meds (and they are the reason I have many different sizes of syringes laying around lol)

reviews state that the plain Ora-Plus tastes terrible compared to the Ora-Sweet.

I did not want to get Ora Sweet because it's more expensive AND it contains stevia, which I hate the taste of (too sweet and has a nasty aftertaste)

anyway the bottle says you can mix it up to 50/50 with a flavored syrup, so I did. it does not even give instructions for mixing it without using a flavoring syrup (that I can see anyway, I have to use a magnifying glass and still my vision is so blurry it's hard to read!!)

Besides having it suspended, I wanted something that didn't taste as bitter as lexapro does. I have to chug some chocolate syrup after each dose to get the taste off my tongue, it's really vile and to me, being that I don't want to have ANYHING to do with this damn drug at all,

it's like adding insult to injury=

here I am going thru withdrawal from this sh*t and suffering all these symptoms and on top of that, to do a taper correctly I have to ingest this vile bitter stuff

so yes, of course I tried to mix it with something that would mask the bitterness.

I haven't mixed up a new batch yet as my vision is poor again (WD symptom for sure!) and I'm very aggravated by the whole thing and just don't yet feel up to dealing with it

I'm trying to take care of myself, get enough sleep and what not and will deal with that when I feel a bit better

for now it's "good enough" to split the pill into 8ths and take those. it can't be any WORSE than me screwing up the dosing by syringe

I"m doing what I need to do to take care of myself with little or no support outside of this forum.

having a particularly bad day today, in fact

:(

I think reducing carbs is getting on the right track (heck with the gastrodoc!). These drugs are very weight promoting, and I believe a lot of that is because they disturb blood glucose regulation. My blood sugars were more unstable than they should be for my age, weight, activity level and general state of health (and worse than older sisters). But I've been able to lose weight regardless by cutting back on carbs (rice, potatoes, sugar completely gone, wheat and corn severely reduced) and raising quality fat levels. My calorie total has definitely not been reduced! This also helps keep total cholesterol down (not that I'm concerned about cholesterol, triglyceride levels are a much more relevant marker for circulatory system and general health). You might want to get a blood glucose tester (very cheap) and try testing after different meals to get an idea what is going on, it can be very revealing.

Sarah

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

• Mentor
On 1/21/2016 at 2:19 PM, KarenB said:

Hello,

Was wondering if you'd like me to merge this thread with your own intro thread so all your stuff is together? 

Karen

oh yes please do! I meant to try to move some of this over myself but am just barely getting thru the days. very discouraged right now

THANK YOU!

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Mentor

well things are improving since fixing my mistake with the dosing, but still not back to where they were before I screwed up

having trouble sleeping, had a few rages and a lot of dizziness and those odd feelings like my brain is swimming around inside my skull, trouble with noises seeming too loud and stuff like that

I try mostly to distract myself. or sleep

It seems I am now sensitized to the effects of sugar. I had a donut one day this week and it really knocked me on my butt- lots of pain and fatigue.

I wish there was a veggie that tasted as good as a donut lol

I've been eating super healthy since then... I need to remember to get some fruit in the house for when I get a craving for something sweet

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear things are starting to improve now. You will be fine if you keep your taper slow and stable from now on, once you start tapering again that is.

I came off lexapro too fast and wasn't able to reinstate, so have had to endure withdrawal symptoms as I wait to recover, but you found us in time and with a slow, careful taper off the last 2.5mg, you should be able to remain relatively symptom free.

I've had to give up sugar too, but as we recover, we can add it back a little at a time, its not a lifetime sentence. I don't know if you like honey, but some people can tolerate that as a sweetener a little better than sugar.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes