SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Europa: Done with Sertraline / Struggling with Movement Disorder

Europa

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to introduce myself to this seemingly wonderful community of fellow survivors in the struggle.  About 13 years ago, I had reached my threshold in my struggle with social anxiety, general anxiety, OCD, and depression.  Around the time there had been a deluge of commercials on tv promoting SSRIs.  I fell prey to a Paxil commercial and soon after decided that I wanted that same smile on my face as the actors on the commercial.  

I quickly got a prescription of Paxil and was on that for about 2 years and initially found it very helpful.  I will admit as I look back that it had made me quite a different person -- much more confident, outspoken, and much less of a worrier.  It was my huge mistake as I look back though that I did not couple the medication with CBT.  I suppose it would have helped quite a bit if my PCP cared enough to push me towards that sort of therapy.  Instead I got continued reassurance that SSRIs were a safe form of treatment.  At some point two years later, I switched to Lexapro for a short time and then to Zoloft soon after.  I stayed on Zoloft for the next 10 years or so.

During that time there were countless occasions where I had decided that i wanted to get off the drug as I was skeptical that staying on any form of medication for an indefinite period of time was a good idea.  In fact I soon began to realize that I was developing a lot of behavioral issues as a result of being on this drug.  So I tried and tried but just could not complete my taper.  Fast foward to January of 2015 I finally achieved the goal of completely coming off SSRIs.  Sounds like a huge accomplishment but, that is when my problems just started.  

I started to develop a twisting in my torso.  Initially I thought I was experiencing a hiatal hernia.  It always felt like I had a lump in my throat.  Then it started to get much more severe.  While on the treadmill one day, I noticed that I could not maintain my stride and my jogging would turn into a gallop.  It felt as if my pelvis completely started to just "drop" and sag from my body if that makes any sense.  Eventually my neck would get involved along with my shoulders.  And the one thing that I relished in life -- exercise and being active -- was taken away from me.  Just walking it feels like my pelvis is just sort of swimming around and rocking back and forth with each stride.  Sitting in a chair is not an easy or comfortable thing to do as it causes my body to twist more and more.  Basically it's gotten to the point where just having as little physical activity during the day is the only way to manage my symptoms.  

Everyday I pray that this thing will somehow resolve itself.  I am very sad and feel like I have so much life left to live.  Somehow it's come to this where I hope that I will eat that one bowl of Chipotle containing e coli.  In general I have a lot of morbid thoughts, because consciousness is a minute by minute struggle and suffering.  I should stop here as ... as there is no benefit to anyone just dumping all of my sadness and regret onto these pages.  Just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully be able to look back at this post one day in order to write my story of redemption and hope (I believe that God is good in spite of all this.)

I started using Paxil for about 2 yrs. I then switched to Zoloft/sertraline (anywhere from 50 mg to 150 mg) for 10 years, thereafter.Last year around November, I started tapering from 100mg. The process was quite crude I will admit: I simply broke off pieces of my the pill keeping close tabs on my feelings and emotions. Am not able to say how many mg I was over what period of time because I was doing it completely intuitively. By the end of December 2014, I had been completely off. Truthfully the emotional aspects that I experienced were rough but paled in comparison to the physical problems that soon manifested. As the drugs left my system I started to notice twisting in my torso and neck. As someone who was very active, I was abruptly forced to stopped going to the gym when one day I lost some coordination of my pelvis and trunk. After doing some research, I realized I might have tardive dystonia in my trunk, neck, and hips. I developed an awkward gait making walking, sitting, and being active difficult and often painful. I end up walking on the outer edge of my feet. <p>I want to believe that this is nothing more than one of the withdrawal symptoms that will go away over time. But, it's been a year and a half and there has been no improvement.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the site Europa.

You probably realize by now that what you're experiencing is your body and brain recovering

and healing since stopping the ssri's. They're uncomfortable with having to readjust

after so many years and are protesting.

Eventually they will settle , but this can take many months.

Could you tell us a little more about how you tapered off zoloft?

In the symptoms and Self Care section you'll find lots of ideas that will help you get through

this. Have you considered a rocking-chair?

Most people find magnesium citrate helps , and fish oil to assist the recovery.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Welcome to the site Europa.

You probably realize by now that what you're experiencing is your body and brain recovering

and healing since stopping the ssri's. They're uncomfortable with having to readjust

after so many years and are protesting.

Eventually they will settle , but this can take many months.

Could you tell us a little more about how you tapered off zoloft?

In the symptoms and Self Care section you'll find lots of ideas that will help you get through

this. Have you considered a rocking-chair?

Most people find magnesium citrate helps , and fish oil to assist the recovery.

Best wishes , Fresh

Hi Fresh,

I certainly hope that is the case.  Although it seems to have shown no improvement after almost 12 months.  

I tapered off by myself over about two months.  I just broke off my pills into smaller and smaller pieces with this pill cutting tool, while keeping close tabs on my own emotions and what I felt I was able to tolerate.  

I have not tried a rocking chair, maybe I will try one.  I'll be sure to check out that area of the site as well.

I do take Magnesium, Fish Oils, Coq 10, Tyrosine, Vit D, and a few others.

I started using Paxil for about 2 yrs. I then switched to Zoloft/sertraline (anywhere from 50 mg to 150 mg) for 10 years, thereafter.Last year around November, I started tapering from 100mg. The process was quite crude I will admit: I simply broke off pieces of my the pill keeping close tabs on my feelings and emotions. Am not able to say how many mg I was over what period of time because I was doing it completely intuitively. By the end of December 2014, I had been completely off. Truthfully the emotional aspects that I experienced were rough but paled in comparison to the physical problems that soon manifested. As the drugs left my system I started to notice twisting in my torso and neck. As someone who was very active, I was abruptly forced to stopped going to the gym when one day I lost some coordination of my pelvis and trunk. After doing some research, I realized I might have tardive dystonia in my trunk, neck, and hips. I developed an awkward gait making walking, sitting, and being active difficult and often painful. I end up walking on the outer edge of my feet. <p>I want to believe that this is nothing more than one of the withdrawal symptoms that will go away over time. But, it's been a year and a half and there has been no improvement.

Hi Europa,

Welcome!

I'm so sorry you are hurt by these poisons! What you described sounds horrible. I don't have much to say to help but want to say hi and sending my sympathy.

You are not alone. We all are hanging day by day and hour by hour. I hope you find some comfort with the company here and get help and support from the community.

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Europa,

I'm so sorry to hear what you have been going through, and for what you have lost.  I'm not surprised to hear your thoughts have taken a turn to the negative; everything is so connected - body, mind and emotions. 

That was a very quick taper off Zoloft - though you are in no way to blame for that.  It probably seemed like a slow taper compared to what doctors often suggest.  Our bodies and minds seem to take quite a while to adjust to lesser doses/no doses.  And once the central-nervous-system gets destabilised (by a fast taper etc) it takes longer again to allow things to heal.  

I believe people can heal, just it sometimes takes longer than we'd like.  There are people on this forum who have and are healing from major w/d issues.  Fresh (who replied to you first) is one of them - I recommend reading her thread for sheer inspiration and hope.   

Many of us have had to restrict our physical movement.  I had to because it just ramps up all my symptoms too much.  However, recently I have been able to do more.  Again, it's down to time and healing.

Here is a post by Rhi about how brains heal:

Rhi on how drugs change our brains/regowing a new brain through tapering

A lot of people, including healthcare practitioners; in fact, I guess, most people-- are operating from entirely the wrong paradigm, or way of thinking, about these meds. They're thinking of them like aspirin--as something that has an effect when it's in your system, and then when it gets out of your system the effect goes away.

That's not what happens with medications that alter neurotransmitter function, we are learning.

What happens when you change the chemistry of the brain is, the brain adjusts its chemistry and structure to try to return to homeostasis, or biochemical and functional balance. It tries to restabilize the chemistry. 

For example: SSRI antidepressants work as "serotonin reuptake inhibitors." That is, they cause serotonin to remain in the space between neurons, rather than being taken back up into the cells to be re-used, like it would be in a normal healthy nondrugged brain.

So the brain, which wants to re-establish normal signaling and function, adapts to the higher level of serotonin between neurons (in the "synapse", the space between neurons where signals get passed along). It does this by removing serotonin receptors, so that the signal is reduced and changed to something closer to normal. It also decreases the amount of serotonin it produces overall. 

To do that, genes have to be turned on and off; new proteins have to be made; whole cascades of chemical reactions have to be changed, which means turning on and off OTHER genes; cells are destroyed, new cells are made; in other words, a complex physiologic remodeling takes place. This takes place over time. The brain does not grow and change rapidly. 

This is a vast oversimplification of the amount of adaptation that takes place in the brain when we change its normal chemistry, but that's the principle.

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay.

When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse.

SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. 

It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. 

I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long. 

With multiple drugs and a history of drug changes and cold turkeys, all of this becomes even more complicated. And if a person is started on these kinds of drugs at an early age before the brain has ever completely established normal mature functioning--well, it can't be good. (All of which is why I recommend an extremely slow taper particularly to anyone with a multiple drug history, a history of many years on meds, a history of past cold turkeys or frequent med changes, and a history of being put on drugs at a young age.)

This isn't intended to scare people, but hopefully to give you some idea of what's happening, and to help you respect and understand the process so you can work with it; ALSO, because you are likely to encounter many, many people who still believe these drugs work kind of like aspirin, or a glass of wine, and all you need to do is stop and get it out of your system. 

Now you can explain to them that no, getting it out of your system is not the issue; the issue is, you need to regrow or at least remodel your brain. This is a long, slow, very poorly understood process, and it needs to be respected.

And here is a thread on tyrosine - some find it too activating during withdrawal, so you might like a read of that.

Have a read around, and come back to this thread to ask any questions you may have.  This thread can be your personal journal of healing.  Thanks for filling out a signature - if you added how you tapered that would be really helpful. 

It's good to have you here Europa,

Best wishes,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Europa,

Welcome!

I'm so sorry you are hurt by these poisons! What you described sounds horrible. I don't have much to say to help but want to say hi and sending my sympathy.

You are not alone. We all are hanging day by day and hour by hour. I hope you find some comfort with the company here and get help and support from the community.

Lex

Hi Lex, really do appreciate your warm welcome and sympathy.  It definitely does provide therapy to be on here and to know I am not alone.  

Hi Karen B,

Thanks for your thoughtful and hopeful words..

I do hope it's merely about time and healing, and that it's not tardive dystonia, but I have never come across a story of someone experiencing the type of physical manifestations during the withdrawal of SSRI that I am experiencing, which scares me to death.

Btw, I've just updated my signature, Thanks!  I've actually read that about Tyrosine, so I do use it very sparingly as part of a vitamin B complex that I purchased from Vitacost.com, which is really effective with my movement problems.

• Administrator

Welcome, Europa.

Yes, unfortunately movement disorders are among withdrawal symptoms.

How does the B complex help you?

Have you tried acupuncture?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Altostrata,

I actually did about 9 sessions worth of acupuncture and the benefits were very minimal -- meaning that it did not help me do anymore exercise after it than before. Vit b helps a little bit. But again nothing I have found has given me any substantial relief so as to allow me to do much physical activity, let alone exercise.

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I just wanted to say thank you for your post.  I did not know that is what happened to me...but about 16 years ago when I had only been on Prozac for a couple years I had had a few drinks then left with some old friends from the bar to buy more beer before closing.  I was the last one to leave the bar from our group and when I stepped down onto the sidewalk I did not expect a drop and my leg landed stiff and the next  thing I knew it felt exactly like you described (my pelvis kind of dropping down and walking was really weird afterward and I could feel my back contorting through my neck) but I have never been able to explain it to myself or anyone else.  I remember I was not really intoxicated but when I went to the store to buy beer they asked me if I was "all right" and I felt like i had the fear of god in me, so they asked me to walk a straight line before selling me beer, and I could not do it very easily, but somehow I managed to still sell me beer.  I remember feeling extreme shame for some reason since I was out with some "important," people and I too was taking it for "social anxiety"  but I did not say anything and passed it off and went home and drank beer to numb the pain. I did not seek medical care and I just shrugged off the pain.  I did not realize how seriously it affected me but I trained like crazy at the gym and doing exercise eventually got much better. The sad part is that it happened again since I had NO idea that it was caused by my antidepressant.  I did not know that Prozac was causing me severe dystonia in my trunk, shoulders, neck, and jaw until just last December when I found the book Prozac Backlash and learned that Prozac was causing this for quite a few people.  Since I have started tapering it is getting better...but I do massive rehab stuff to decompress my sacrum.  I'm praying that I will be back to normal with my muscles by the end of six weeks after my last dose.   Please be strong because I have struggled to make it this far and I know it is not easy to deal with.  No one understands this that I have met so far...except you.  Thank you and please feel free to compare notes with me because I have tried everything.  Regards, Craig

1996 to Dec 2015 Various SSRIs and what only amounts to living in a nightmare

Dec 15th Began tapering from 40mg Prozac to my current dose today (5mg Prozac)  My body has had a severe reaction to it since about 2003 but I did not realize the Rx was causing it until I read the book Prozac Backlash in Dec and began tapering.  My Parkinsonian Symptoms are going away with the DC of the Prozac and has given me extraordinary relief however I've noticed a few mood swings to say the least.

Hi Craig,

So thankful that you found your way here.  I was just waiting for that one other person who was having similar symptoms to share experiences and insights with.  It's such a giant beast of a problem to fight on one's own, especially being shrugged off by so many people in and out of the medical profession.  I have read your introduction as well and it really tugged at my heart that you have a daughter that you are fighting this for as well.  I feel like I'm fighting for the future family I want to have.  I admire you for having raised your daughter for 2.5 years while carrying this huge burden.  Throughout this past year I had broken down so many times that I would never have a family and die alone b/c this affliction would just make it impossible for me to take care of anyone else.  For me I feel like I'm fighting three times the amount of gravity as everyone else walking this earth.  Movement is just so much more difficult. 

I'm pleased to hear that you're symptoms are improving with your taper.  I am currently in physical therapy.  I will be having my third session this coming week.  And frankly I am quite discouraged.  I'm supposedly working with people who supposedly know a lot about dystonia.  But they have not been able to help in the least bit and haven't shown me anything that gives me hope that they will be of much help going forward.  Can I ask what kind of rehab stuff you are doing?  Particularly with your sacram decompression.  My sacram is such a problem area for me as well.  My sacram along with the left side of my pelvis seems to be tucked under in such an uncomfortable way for this past year. 

I definitely hope we can fight through this thing together and count ourselves as survivors.  Sincerely, Europa

• 3 months later...

Hello, its been a while and i need some wise advise. Its been about a year and a half since ive taken my last dose of zoloft. My physical symptoms have not gotten any better. Im wondering if it might be a good idea to reinstate and try a slow taper. Thinking maybe my quick taper did not give my brain time to readjust and thus manifesting my physical symptoms. Ive gone through so much rumination and suicidal thought bc of the inability to be physically active. Any advise would be so much appreciated.

I clicked on your topic quite by accident but then read your post anyway and I'd like to offer this:

It takes an inordinately long time to recover from the upset of wd syndrome if you don't taper your drugs. Unfortunately, the only way it resolves is if you never touch the stuff again. You've had significant 'adaptation' back to normal after a year and a half and taking the drug and trying a do over won't do what you think it will. Is it the movement disorder you think it will help? It won't, that is an undesirable SIDE EFFECT of the chronic use of these drugs that happens in some people but it sometimes resolves after a long time.

I am not sure what else to say, you are certainly welcome to go back on the drugs, we aren't doctors here. And my advice is shoot from the hip, I have not read your whole thread either so there may be other variables in your case. I am nearing the end of year 4 off drugs, I've got some issues, I will never take the drugs again. Just the start up effects would be something I know I would not be able to stand and I know now they will never do me any good. In your case, getting a movement disorder on top of all the other side effects is a serious issue and should be your warning to never take any drug like this ever again.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Europa,

18 months is a very long time after your last dose, and it is very unlikely that reinstatement would work.  At this stage your best bet is probably to continue bringing healing things into your life.  Have you seen this by GiaK?  It Gets Better:  Living well while being sick  GiaK herself has wrought some incredible healing in her life, and her story is very encouraging (as well as full of practical ideas).

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.