Homeopathy Backlash Continues, On the Verge of Blacklisting in the UK

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Re homeopathy, this is a good thing. Homeopathy has been discredited by many clinical/scientific studies. It is magical thinking, that apart from the placebo effect (which, OK, may be one thing in its favor), with no scientific basis. BTW, "blacklisted" doesn't mean banned; it means the government health service in the UK will stop paying for it.

Likewise,

This is a "for what it is worth" post.   With my surgeon's permission, I took Arnica, a homeopathic remedy, that supposedly was effective at relieving swelling after my septoplasty.   It didn't do bleep in that area but interestingly, it did relieve the mild pain I had from the surgery.  I feel it was as effective as Tylenol #3 regarding pain relief.  

No, it wasn't the placebo effect because I honestly wasn't expecting it to do this as nothing had been reported online about it having this effect.   I also took it more than once just to see if this was a fluke and I felt it wasn't.

I do agree with your post generally about the lack of proof.  I just wonder if the UK government applies the same criteria regarding paying for drugs that have been shown to be non effective.   Being the cynic that I am, I would say no.

Anyway, merry Christmas and happy new year.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Compsports,

Just musing, not meaning to be argumentative. It may have been intermittent pain that would have reduced on its own without treatment. I'll venture that your surgeon approved of the Arnica dose because to his/her thinking it was just water and couldn't do any harm.

Best to you as well.

Check out my PH balance thread.

I stopped 5 months of continuous menstrual bleeding with vinegar and blackstrap molasses. Doctor wanted to put me on birth control to stop it but I wouldn't take it.

Skeptics posted in my thread but as Fresh posted there is science behind it.

It worked.

People will always say placebo but I've never had placebo to work because I doubt everything. I have always doubted natural remedies. When this worked I was pleasantly surprised. I still doubt most naturals thought but hey this one worked.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9242-changing-my-ph-level-this-has-worked-wonders-for-me/

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

There are active components in vinegar and blackstrap molasses.  Minerals, probiotics (if it was ACV), nutrients, vitamins.

There are no active molecules in homeopathic preparations.  They are diluted so extensively, that there is often not a single molecule of the original substance.  It's just water, or sugar pill, with the vibration of something in it.

They are vibratory remedies only.

Here's how I think it works:  The Memory of Water

If you can be helped by "laying on of hands," or prayer, or positive thinking, then you can be helped by homeopathy.  

Which is to say, there is value there - a form of care (and yes, placebo effect), and a vibration which can help.  But it's not an herbal remedy or a simple.  And it doesn't mean that it needs to be on the Health Care Scheme.  

There is some discussion here in Australia, as to whether Chemists (which have homeopathic remedies in abundance) should even carry them.  But the Chemists - who are business proprietors after all, and carry gift items and hair ties - say that people want them, and they will carry them as long as there is demand.  But that doesn't mean it's the government's business to pay for them.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy