SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Bloody doctors, how pathetic?

angie007

This really has me thinking???

I rang the doctors surgery today, as i have been having symptoms of headaches, ear aches, weird dizzyness and nausea and no appetite, YES!! IT COULD BE WD, but could also be a viral infection as many others have been complaining of similar issues, and these people are NOT in wd, so i thought id check.

All i could get is a phone appointment, and the call came, i explained my symptoms stating that it was on my notes that i was on seroxat wd too,

so she said she would prescribe something for the dizzyness and the nausea - knowing fully well that whatever i would not be taking anything prescription again.

My husband picked up the prescription on his way home - without cashing it.

Can you imagine the shock and horror, when i got the script and found out she had prescribed PROCHLORPERAZINE MALEATE BUCCAL TABLETS,

which is a bloody antipsychotic!!!!!!!!!! AFTER me asking her, whatever she precribed would not interfere or ramp up the wd symptoms i was still getting 3 plus months off seroxat,

to which she replied !!!! absolutely no possibility.

How the hell any of us can ever trust a doctor again i will never know!!! i am disgusted and absolutely fuming!!!

What the hell they trying to do, kill us off, because they cant cure us?????

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

The answer, sadly enough, is very simple: They just got no clue. Most of the doctors just do not know what they are doing. Or even better yet, they know a handful of remedies that they are being told might work for certain symptoms and that's it. Welcome to the modern western health care.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

What can I say that would not be offensive! I despair of all this i really do!

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

Absolutely f******* ridiculous! (Please excuse the swearing!)

An antipsychotic for headaches, ear ache, dizziness , and nausea?! This is shocking.

They have absolutely no idea!

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

I would say this is par for the course. It is the reason I absolutely hate most doctors.

It's like with the amoeba medication I was prescribed. I had a really bad reaction to it, which really exaggerated my withdrawal symptoms and skyrocketed my cortisol (or perhaps it is just coincidence, who knows)... since then my anxiety and insomnia has been 10 times worse. It also was horrible for my digestive system, of course.

I saw on the internet that other people, healthy people with no withdrawal and no previous history of anxiety, were having anxiety, terror while falling asleep, etc. (high cortisol type reactions). So I called the doctor, and all she did was:

1. Tell me she had told me that I shouldn't take that medicine (meanwhile I'm holding her prescription in my hand).

2. Refer me to a psychiatrist.

All I can say is thank god for the internet and being able to research things a bit to defend yourself and make your own decisions.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Disgusting! I would be fuming too!

I think theyre stuck with the mindset that people will take whatever they prescribe without question.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Thank you for your support guys, well i think i will take the original symptoms,

rather than risk the medication, but im thinking now, i aint prepared to let this drop,

i am taking this further - a lot further

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

I think theyre stuck with the mindset that people will take whatever they prescribe without question.

I think a lot of doctors are stuck in the mindset of being "experts" and are not used to being questioned. That model does not work in a day and age that we have access to so much information. I immediately cease to go back to a doctor that refuses to answer my questions or treats me like an idiot (unless I can just get what I want out of the interaction and turn it in my favor).

For example, I went to a gynecologist who said I had an "infection" and needed to take X medicine. I asked her what kind of infection I had and how she knew. (She had only done a routine physical exam, and I was betting she was thinking I had a yeast infection, which maybe I had a very, very slight one... I tend to have them). She said, "an infection". I asked, "bacterial or fungal or what?" She said, "it's nothing you need to worry about, it's just an infection, but you need to take X because you can't get pregnant like this." Then I saw what she prescribed, which was an oral antifungal often given for yeast infections, which I really would prefer not to take because it has the potential to mess with your whole internal ecosystem. But really, how hard would it have been for her to answer me directly instead of just asserting what I NEEDED to do? Besides, it's total BS that a slight yeast infection will prevent you from getting pregnant. She could have just said, you have a slight yeast infection, and it would be good to take care of it now, since there is a tendency during pregnancy to get yeast infections anyway, and at that point they are more difficult to treat, etc. You know, have A DIALOGUE.

I think about this in my own line of work. Sometimes stuff is really technical and hard to explain why you need to do something one way or another to your client. But I always do my best to make things open and clear. Sometimes the client even has a good alternative option!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Good luck on taking it further Ang taking on the establishment!!!!!!!!!

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

Nadia... that particular doctor sounds like a real winner... and the last time I would see her! She is either very dense or burned out. Either way... :rolleyes:

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

If you Google prochlorperazine, you'll find it's for nausea and vomiting AND an old medication for schizophrenia, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000582/ and https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Prochlorperazine

The doctor probably intended it for your nausea and vomiting, ang. It's a coincidence it's used (rarely) to treat schizophrenia. (It's also prescribed for labyrinthitis.)

It does sound like a gruesome drug, usage restricted to 2 days.

Please, guys, when you run across a medical term you don't recognize, please confer with Dr. Google.

(Still, doctors have been known to be clueless and patronizing, I don't deny it!)

PS Some people use over-the-counter pills for motion sickness for the nausea of withdrawal syndrome. People also like using ginger for this http://nccam.nih.gov/health/ginger/index.htm.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I use ginger for the feeling of nausea I get in the mornings. I have some ginger capsules (from Holland and barrett) and I open one and add it to lemon tea with honey. Seems to help.

Fresh ginger works good too.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• 4 weeks later...

USAGE RESTRICTED TO 2 DAYS alto????????

He gave me a 10 day course??????

I gave him the script back and told i wasnt taking an antipsychotic.

He replied that IT WASNT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Told him id rather take the symptoms i have now, than risk the side effects from that, so he then told me

that i had an inner ear imbalance and tried to prescribe cinnarazine - aint took that either.

There are times, that all of us here certainly DO know more than any bloody doc, and they hate that.

It has become our job to take care of our health - as after this experience i for one trust NO bloody doctor to know whats best for me anymore!!!!!!

What a sad state of affairs.

doctors take us for idiots (they do not realize that with the Internet we know as much as they)

they make worse our illnesses without scruple,

allopathic drugs mask the symptoms by creating five times more new real diseases

therefore i try to not go to them

they are only able to make blood test, scan...and psychotics meds are really their big dangerous business

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

• Administrator

Truly, angie, try the ginger.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 5 months later...

this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Doctors LOVE to believe that your symptoms are psychsomatic from brain chemistry imbalance and treatable by drugs.

I have spend a very frustrating 3yrs seeing docs. I know better than to rely on them for advice, but in my country in order to receive sickness benefits from the government i have to get treatment from a GP doc. They have NO idea. None. Zero. Zilch. Totally brainwashed zombies peddling for the drug companies that funded the research for their education and pay their morgages. The games rigged. It's not a healthcare system, it's a sick care system. I have had friends tell me that when they went on a AD med and it was causing them big problems, the doctor prescibed to DOUBLE THE DOSE! What the hell?? This caused them to go into full mania or meltdown. The depth of my bitterness to doctors cannot be described. My grandfather detested them. As a kid i couldn't understand that. I just thought it was one of those quirks that some ppl develop as they age. Now i see his wisdom.

My problems with Chronic fatigue were constantly diagnosed as depression. I intuituively felt they weren't but experimented with the drugs they suggested. Mirtazapine, Cymbalta, Zoloft then Lexapro. These drugs totally ruined my life and 8months after stopping them my life is **** as my brain is so damaged. Turns out my problems are from grain sensitivity causing damage to my intestinal wall which has released undigested food particles into my blood stream, congesting my liver. Try explaining that to a GP. If it can be treated with diet, they seem to roll their eyes or avoid eye contact because it takes away from THEIR system of treatment, their lively hood, and shows that their hard earned drug pushing education was a waste of time.

Rant over...

bb

My husband has never taken an AD or went through WD and just the other day when he saw I was having a bad reaction to antibiotics he shouted "these damned doctors don't have a clue about anything all they know how to do is write a prescription".

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

My husband has never taken an AD or went through WD and just the other day when he saw I was having a bad reaction to antibiotics he shouted "these damned doctors don't have a clue about anything all they know how to do is write a prescription".

Could we clone your husband??? I just went through another Friday of hearing mine review cases at home, talking to other docs about 'it sounds like there's a psych component since she isn't responding to treatment/brought her mother to the appointment/(fill in blank)'. Interesting....it's always a SHE. I must give credit where due - he has been reading Anatomy of an Epidemic and is perusing studies online with skepticism. He still can't grasp that what is online is strategically chosen.

Regarding Angies's original post... a few years ago my friend was given one of the nausea/antipsychotics. I looked it up for her and that was my intro to that whole category. Husband was not aware of it either. I suspect that most docs aren't. (I'm NOT defending!) We all know what the quinolone antibiotics are capable of (Cipro, any 'floxins'). Abilify (aripiprazole) is categorized in Wikipedia as a 'quinolone derivative' although therapeutically and in PDR, it's a 2nd generation antipsychotic and antidepressant. A study was released recently showing that the 'acne antibiotic' minocycline is effective for psychosis (not certain if they said schizophrenia).

My point is twofold: compounds have many actions and are classified and marketed for the disease du jour at the time as we know with SSRIs. I believe it's critical to not use broad category names like 'antidepressant', 'antipsychotic','antiemetic', 'antibiotic', etc. and try to refer to them by their targeted/suspected mode of action. TCA, SS/NRI, NDRI, quinolone, macrolide, penicillin/cephalosporin, etc.

Referring to a compound by the category that pharma placed it in perpetuates that tunnel vision ('an antidepressant can't possibly make your feet itchy!' That actually happened to my husband and his brother with Prozac - so bad that they DC'd. I pull it out as a reminder when necessary ;)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi Barb,

Your husband just confirmed my suspicions about doctors. If you don't respond to treatment, even if it is faulty, then there a a psych component. Nice :rolleyes:

Well, Dr. Shipko said it best in an interview with Dr. Breggin. He mentioned that in the past, when you took a drug and had a negative reaction, it was a side effect.

He says most doctors currently don't even think that the drugs they prescribe have side effects.

Scary.

CS

Could we clone your husband??? I just went through another Friday of hearing mine review cases at home, talking to other docs about 'it sounds like there's a psych component since she isn't responding to treatment/brought her mother to the appointment/(fill in blank)'. Interesting....it's always a SHE. I must give credit where due - he has been reading Anatomy of an Epidemic and is perusing studies online with skepticism. He still can't grasp that what is online is strategically chosen.

Regarding Angies's original post... a few years ago my friend was given one of the nausea/antipsychotics. I looked it up for her and that was my intro to that whole category. Husband was not aware of it either. I suspect that most docs aren't. (I'm NOT defending!) We all know what the quinolone antibiotics are capable of (Cipro, any 'floxins'). Abilify (aripiprazole) is categorized in Wikipedia as a 'quinolone derivative' although therapeutically and in PDR, it's a 2nd generation antipsychotic and antidepressant. A study was released recently showing that the 'acne antibiotic' minocycline is effective for psychosis (not certain if they said schizophrenia).

My point is twofold: compounds have many actions and are classified and marketed for the disease du jour at the time as we know with SSRIs. I believe it's critical to not use broad category names like 'antidepressant', 'antipsychotic','antiemetic', 'antibiotic', etc. and try to refer to them by their targeted/suspected mode of action. TCA, SS/NRI, NDRI, quinolone, macrolide, penicillin/cephalosporin, etc.

Referring to a compound by the category that pharma placed it in perpetuates that tunnel vision ('an antidepressant can't possibly make your feet itchy!' That actually happened to my husband and his brother with Prozac - so bad that they DC'd. I pull it out as a reminder when necessary ;)

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

It's maddening ~

Some pain specialists do psych assessments before meeting or examining patient that unveil indicators that they will be nonresponders to treatment„ malingerers„ somaticizers„ etc ~

It's sometimes just a brief questionairre done on iPad type device in waiting room ~

A bit of profiling as I see it ~

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

They can definately make you itchy. I've experienced it. Something to do with stressing out the liver. Hep C ppl get this also.

Speaking of double uses for drugs, they give men anti depressants in a nasal spray to treat premature ejaculation (difficulty ejaculating is common for men on these drugs). I laughed when I read this. Not in a mean way, but just how ridiculous it was. These private companies - after a consultation of a doctor - charge them $1000 for 'treatment' to spray a 1st generation anti depressant up their nose, which not only would effect their psychological state for who knows how many days, but here in Australia they could have got that script from a G.P for $5 which would last you a year if you are just crushing the pills up to make a spray out of them.

It's madness....all of it

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy