SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tilea: Tapering venlafaxine

Tilea

Hi...I am new here.  I am female in my 60's and I would like to withdraw from venlafaxine ER 37.5 mg.  I have just finished a taper off benzos and I am 3 months out and I am still quite symptomatic.  I was prescribed both the AD and ativan at the beginning of June, 2015 for a panic attack because of a misdiagnosed health issue.  I never felt that either the benzo or the AD helped me at all during that time and so I began to taper the benzo.   I would now like to taper the AD because I think I am having some side effects or paratoxical effects from the AD.   All of the symptoms that I have had since June are still with me.  

I would appreciate any info., suggestions, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks! 

June 1/15 - Ativan...1-2 mg/day as needed (was on clonazapam for a few day before...then dr. switched)

June 1/15 - Venlafaxine  ER - 37.5 mg/day  (was on Prozac for a few days before...then dr. switched)

Also prescribed 7.5 mirtazapine ...for a couple of weeks ...bad side effects

Started benzo taper July 17          Tapered off Ativan - Sept. 27/15

Tapered off Venlafaxine ER - May 1            Reinstated 7 beads of Venlafaxine May 31, 6 beads July 4, 7 beads Aug. 2,

Tried 10 beads Aug 13 for 2 days) ...not good....8 beads since Aug 15...7 beads Aug.19

Was on venlafaxine from about 2002 to 2014, then tapered off with drs. advise by using every other day for a few weeks.

Was probably experiencing PD withdrawal during that year with a couple of bouts of depression for a day or two, and then panic attack

and that is when the ativan and the rest were prescribed in June, 2015.   Have had the anxiety, trembling and bad brain fog since then but 

I think that the ativan was masking it sometimes.   Many visits to the ER and drs. re symptoms and always asked drs. if these symptoms 

were from the medication and was always told...NO....it is your anxiety.  So drs. just don't know enough about these drugs.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tilea

• JanCarol

• scallywag

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tilea-  Welcome to the group.  I'm so glad you found us before you started your taper.  You're in an excellent position to do things right and get off with minimal problems.  I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems with the Ativan WD.  Would you please give us some more detail about how you came off of it.

Having been on the Venlafaxine for seven months it will be a good idea to do a long slow taper to get off of it.  We have a ton of good information so I will overload you with things to read:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Preparing to taper

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

That's enough for starters, have a read and then ask a lot of questions.

Thank you for adding a signature block, it really makes it easier for us to see what is going on.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you for the welcome.   I didn't have a lot of help with my ativan taper....my one dr. told me to cut 1/4 dose every 3-4 days but I thought that was too fast.  I took the ativan for about 8 weeks...sometimes 1 mg..sometimes 2...somedays none.  Then I started my taper and tapered for about 12 weeks....the last four weeks were off of clonazapam because the ativan was giving me a lot of shaking and the dr. gave me a low dose of clonazapam to stabilze.  The first few weeks off the benzo were a lot better than these last few weeks.   The symptoms of anxiety, breathing issues, some depression and fatigue are quite bad...These were the symptoms that I was having since I started the benzo and AD.  When I first started on these meds, whenever I had the above symptoms I would take an ativan and it would be better....now with not ativan....I am wondering if the AD is and was causing all or some of these symptoms.  

Thank you for the list of reading material....I will certainly go thru it and I am sure I will have a few questions.  I actually have one now and that is what dose would be best for me to start this taper since I still am not healed from the benzo taper.    I know that the recommended dose is 5 - 10 %...but is that what I should try and should I try a smaller dose?

Thank you for all the help.   

June 1/15 - Ativan...1-2 mg/day as needed (was on clonazapam for a few day before...then dr. switched)

June 1/15 - Venlafaxine  ER - 37.5 mg/day  (was on Prozac for a few days before...then dr. switched)

Tapered off Venlafaxine ER - May 1            Reinstated 7 beads of Venlafaxine May 31, 6 beads July 4, 7 beads Aug. 2,

Tried 10 beads Aug 13 for 2 days) ...not good....8 beads since Aug 15...7 beads Aug.19

Was on venlafaxine from about 2002 to 2014, then tapered off with drs. advise by using every other day for a few weeks.

Was probably experiencing PD withdrawal during that year with a couple of bouts of depression for a day or two, and then panic attack

and that is when the ativan and the rest were prescribed in June, 2015.   Have had the anxiety, trembling and bad brain fog since then but 

I think that the ativan was masking it sometimes.   Many visits to the ER and drs. re symptoms and always asked drs. if these symptoms 

were from the medication and was always told...NO....it is your anxiety.  So drs. just don't know enough about these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Tilea and welcome from me too.

It's great that you are doing some prior planning. It's never a good idea to taper while symptomatic so I would hold for as long as it takes for the symptoms to fade before starting the AD taper. If you start from an unstable baseline it will be very difficult to control your taper. 

Thank you for filling in the signature with your drug history. Could you just add the approximate dates (month and year when you started the drugs).

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi Tilea-- Bubble beat me to it.  It would be a good idea to hold for a while longer to create a good stable base to start your AD taper from.  The 10% rule is a guideline that we have found works for most people;  Going slower is not a problem, we encourage people to listen to their bodies and adjust accordingly.  There are several different strategies including micro tapers and sliding methods that can be considered also, each of which has their advantages.  Read through the materials and we can start working out a good plan.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks for the replies.....the problem with waiting till I am healed is that I think that the AD is causing some of the issues.   I think the benzo was masking some of it  and now the further out I am from the benzo the worse these symptoms get like the anxiety, the headaches, depression, fatigue, etc.  I know that these are also benzo wd symptoms but they could also be the AD rearing it's ugly head.  The other issue I am worried about is that my blood work shows there may be some kidney problems  and also the chloride and sodium levels are down and after researching about those things I found that the AD can contribute to that.....so I am a bit panicky about that, too.   I am also thinking that if these are symptoms caused by the AD....how would they go away if I wait to start a taper.  Perhaps, I could start with a very small dose...like maybe a 3% decrease....and see how that goes......not sure if that is an option or not.   I am really afraid that the AD will do more damage the more I take it.

I did change things in my signature for a bit more detail.

Thank you for your support.  

Hi Tilea,

So glad you found sa.

And so sorry you are experiencing these adverse effects.

Everyone else were too polite to say it but have you considered getting a new doctor.

It seems absurd to me to give a person a benzo (klonopin/clonazepam) to help them taper off a benzo (ativan/loraxepam) especially when dependence may well be established within a weeks use. You havent said how you quit the klonopin or how much you took but i assume you cold turkeyed it. ? (This could be be useful to put in the sig. too.)

Then you were exposed to prozac and then another potent ad remeron (mirtazapine) for nearly a month ....and i assume taken off that CT. (Its been documented that just 2 weeks exposure to an ad for a healthy person can result in symptoms for months after).

now with not ativan....I am wondering if the AD is and was causing all or some of these symptoms.

This is the thought that pervades the medical profession and its oh you arent taking the drug anymore so your symptoms cant be due to the drug because its not in your body anymore.

So in your case you may have then pointed the finger at the drug that is in your body and said its all your fault velafaxine.

I always take ages trying to find where this link is but it is well worth reading to try to get a handle on or a new way of seeing your situation...these are not aspirins we have been swallowing ...they are profoundly brain altering chemicals...

Brain remodeling

I am also thinking that if these are symptoms caused by the AD..

Maybe but maybe not....im doubling down on the effects of chopping and changing and CT? from all the others ...

Breggin has written a great book 'your drug may be your problem' . Perhaps a sequel or more accurate title could be 'your drugs withdrawals are your problem'.

Im all for getting off these terrible drugs but as the others say it may be wise,  to just hold for another month or two until things settle down a bit.

You have only been on for 6 months unlike most here who have years of exposure so you have a great chance for accomplishing the taper successfully and im sure a lot quicker.

However if you rush into it from an unstable position and trigger snri wdl then what?

Take another benzo? (again), updose to more than current dose? Switch ? (again)

Do you think you can cope with withdrawal symptoms ramped up to multiples of  current levels? and could you absorb it while resisting the urge to swallow something to take it away. Do you currently feel stable.

I am really afraid that the AD will do more damage the more I take it.

What does the doctor think about this question. Did he inform you of the side effects when he gave it to you?

Good luck with your decisions.

Hope you stabilize soon.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tilea,

Really pleased you have found SA. There are lots of very knowledgeable people on this site and they are very supportive.  This is an link to the book NZ mentioned. I have just started reading it myself.  CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 months later...

Can anyone help me with this.......I would like to know what a micro taper would look like using venlafaxine capsules.....37.5 mg ....contents...beads... weigh .095g.   Thanks.

You would need to count the number of beads in several capsules to work out an average for the number of beads per capsule.

Lets say there are an average of 'x' beads ...then once you have decided what your micro taper rate is ...lets say 5 % then you would remove 0.05 times 'x' , beads and then swallow the remainder. You would take this for a month and then calculate a new 5% reduction based on your previous dose (no of beads swallowed) and remove this (from your previous dose no of beads swallowed) for working out the next dosage. This method may become problematic at lower doses.

If this is as clear as mud then say so.

If you advise the average number of beads in a capsule then it is easier to be more specific.

Effexor XR cannot be made into a liquid . However you may wish to consider changing at this stage to regular effexor which gives more options like making a liquid and giving more accuracy in the taper. You can also get a pharmacy to make a compounded liquid.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

thanks nz11....I was thinking more about the every day tapering as micro tapering or the decrease in dose every 3 or 4 days.....I know you can taper 5 or 10% per month and I know how to figure that out but just wondering about the micro tapering every few days.   

Well dropping dose every 3-4 days may trigger wdl symptoms.

Brassmonkey is dropping weekly based on one quarter of the 10% you could discuss this with him.

I dont know a lot about micro tapers but i would assume that even microtaper-ers are holdng  before doing the next cut.

After doing weekly drops for a 4 weeks Brass holds for another 2 weeks.

Later.......

found this

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2878-micro-taper-instead-of-10-or-5-decreases/

later.....

just read it myself ..i was feeling lazy ..yeah it appears that micro taper-ers can go down every 4 days. ...with caution.

Recovering paxil addict

Thanks nz11 for your response.   I will read the link and see what I should do.   I need to get off this drug because of health issues....but need to do it safely.  

Anyone else tapering effexor or venlafaxine from 37.5mg?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tilea,

To find other members who are tapering off effexor use a search engine and type survivingantidepressants.org and effexor venlafaxine. You should get a list of topics and member threads.

I also changed the title of your thread here so that other members know which drug you are wanting help with.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

Wondering if I should reinstate my effexor....here is my story.....I am 8 months of benzo and was on effexor, decreasing it bit by bit....was having a few short windows but then because of health issues decided to jump off effexor at about 20 mg.   Was taking 37.5 since June....but stared to decrease in Jan...went up once because I thought I was getting withdrawal but it may have have been just a wave of benzos....not sure.   So May 1 i jumped , and for the first week things were ok.....but then the symptoms that I have always been having of anxiety started to increase....thought I was in a bad wave, but then started to have more panic attacks, lots of fear....still don't know if it is the benzo WD or the AD WD.   I came off effexor before....with no problems.  These panic attacks are worse than I have had before.   I have no new symptoms, just the increase in anxiety, panic attacks, and  brain fog.    Will reinstatement of a small dose help me out.....I am so scared that these will just get worse as time goes on.  Would i reinstate with the effexor or should I switch to prozac.....Do I reinstate or not......I am so scared and don`t know what to do.   Thank you for any help you can give me.     

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Tilea.

I just moved your last post from the Symptoms and Self-Care section over to your Intro/Update thread, since this is about your own specific case.

When you say you jumped off Effexor due to "health issues", what does that mean? Did you have to go on another medication for your health issue or was Effexor contra-indicated with this health issue?

Here is some information for you to read on reinstatements:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

I'm sure your previous benzo history has complicated things, but since you jumped off Effexor so recently on May 1, you may want to consider reinstating. You may not need to go back on the jump dose of 20 mg because your CNS is probably more sensitive now. A lower dose will probably be best. 

I'm going to let the other moderators weigh in on this too, so they'll be stopping by later. 

Hang in there. 

• Administrator

Hello, Tilea.

If you are getting increased waves of panic, if I were you, I'd immediately reinstate 10 beads from your Effexor XR capsule. You'd stay on this regularly for some months and then very gradually taper off, bead by bead.

What is your daily symptom pattern? Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

Are you taking any other drugs?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you so much for your reply......The only other drug I am taking is furosemide for BP..  My pattern of symptoms are panic attacks....feeling fear, doom, gloom, anger, breathing issues and then the rest of the anxiety stuff....My sleep has not been that great either.....was a lot better before....but now I sleep one night the next is not so good.  Sometimes even a panic attack in the night.  I am emotionally flat.....and have had that since I started the benzo and the AD.   I have had some windows of being about 80% myself....but just very tiny ones...I am still in benzo WD....but a lot of symptoms have gone away.  

How long before I would know if the reinstatement has worked....and if it doesn`t how do I stop the 10 bead doseage...

You recommend 10 beads to reinstate at.....my 37.5 mg capsule has about 120 beads in it.....so would 10 beads be an OK amount......thanks for your help....much appreciated.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Tilea, please consider starting at 10 beads right away as Alto says.  Or first thing in the morning, as it could be activating and interrupt your sleep if you did it at night.

Is your Effexor generic, or brand name?  (this changes the beads somewhat)  More information on beads here:  Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

If 10 beads gives you some immediate relief, we will know we are on the right track. 

You may want to increase it later, but that's a good test to 1) see if you are going to over-react to the Effexor, and 2) confirm that it is indeed withdrawal, and 3) whether a reinstatement will be helpful.

Try staying on 10 beads for at least 5 days, and we'll talk about future increases (if needed) or tapers (once you've stabilised)  in the meantime.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you so much for your reply......The only other drug I am taking is furosemide for BP..  

Hi, Tilea.

I placed your two medications in the drug interaction checker and there is a "moderate" interaction as listed below. 

Please let us know how you're doing with the reinstatement. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Moderate furosemide  venlafaxine

Applies to: furosemide, venlafaxine

Treatment with venlafaxine may occasionally cause blood sodium levels to get too low, a condition known as hyponatremia, and using it with furosemide can increase that risk. You should seek medical attention if you experience nausea, vomiting, headache, lethargy, irritability, difficulty concentrating, memory impairment, confusion, muscle spasm, weakness or unsteadiness, as these may be symptoms of hyponatremia. More severe cases may lead to hallucination, fainting, seizure, coma, and even death. Venlafaxine can also affect your blood pressure and heart rate. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring of your blood pressure and pulse to safely use both medications. You should avoid rising abruptly from a sitting or lying position while taking these medications, especially at the beginning of treatment or after an increase in dose. Call your doctor if you experience dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, or a rapid heart beat. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

• Administrator

Tilea, emotional anesthesia is a common side effect of benzos and antidepressants.

Please let us know how you are doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I started with 7 beads.....it is now day 2....still have had some panic attacks....not as many and not as severe....(maybe it was a benzo wave...not sure....can never tell what is what during this ordeal).I also still have the eye/head pressure that has been with me during a lot of the time of benzo WD and even when I was decreasing the effexor (venlafaxine is what I am taking).  I thought it was the AD causing that problem....so I am not sure.   It has gone away at times before but does come back.  Had a tiny window last night where there was no eye/head pain and I felt about 80% myself....had a good night's sleep (sometimes I don"t).  But again, the anxiety is back thru the day, the brain fog, etc.   If I have windows, it is usually in the evening....but never carries over to the next day.   Mornings and afternoons are usually full of anxiety, etc,  I have also developed what the dr. thinks is carpel tunnel...hands started to be sore about 5 months ago....but have become more numb in fingers in the last couple of months.   Never had that or anything close to that before benzos or ADs.   Have read somewhere that these drugs could cause something like this.   I am exhausted fighting thru the anxiety and panic....this is brutal.   

How long should I stay on the AD to see if it is working?   Thank you for all your help....

3 days on the AD and today is the worse day of eye/head pressure...I get bad pressure behind my eyes and behind my nose area and checks,,,,eyes feel really sore makes the brain fog, dp worse plus the irritability and overwhelmness, also seems to bring on head tremors....I have no idea if anyone has anything like this or not.....If someone has, please let me know.   .I have had this on and off during the time I was in benzo WD....always thought it might be the AD but the eye pain is also a benzo WD effect.    Have not had a good day today with a lot of anxiety, and this pain and breathlessness.....what do I do.....stay on the 7 beads or just get off the AD and maybe try something else.....or what??????   thank you for any guidance in what to do......

• Moderator Emeritus

It takes a minimum of four days to see any effect, so it's a good idea to wait at least a week (unless you have adverse reactions).  Does the pain seem like a reaction to the 7 beads, or is it more a continuation of symptoms you were having previously? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

My eye/pain pressure and head tremors seems to be more severe these last 3 days.....the panic attacks seem to be a bit less.  So I have no idea what it is.   The eye pain and pressure I have had thru out these last 7 months or so.    The pain is something like I experienced some time ago....before June, 2015 when my dr, (after I had been off the effexor for about 6 months) thought that I might try to go back on and prescribed me the  75mg instead of the 37.5.   I took one and landed in ER with horrible eye face pain and a bunch of other symptoms.   So maybe the benzos were masking a lot of the side effects of the effexor and when I went off the benzos the side effects of the effexor started showing up.  I don't know.  So if the 7 beads don't work in the next couple of days....what should I do....quit or try something else or what?    Just so frustrated with all these horrible drugs.   

• Moderator Emeritus

Just quitting will give you a whole new set of problems, so lets not take that route.  We also don't recommend trying different drugs.  I might get some other mods to have a look, since I don't feel I have the experience to make a suggestion as to what you could do. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh Tilea I'm so sorry you are going through this. 

I wish I had any suggestion at all, but trust me when I say the mods are working on it, trying to figure out what our alternatives are.

Please consider Non-Drug Techniques for Dealing wth Physical Pain until we can get back to you.

Please do not quit CT.  That you are having symptoms is an indicator that changes in this drug are difficult for you.  

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you today, Tilea?  What is your symptom pattern today?  It is hard to know what's what because you had these symptoms with your benzo withdrawal and we are wondering if perhaps you are in a wave.  Improved anxiety suggests the reinstatement helped.  So, it would be good to know what today is offering.  It may be a sit-tight situation and see if things evolve for the better, along with lots of self-care.  You could try using Google to search SA.  For instance google "survivingantidepressants.org eye pain" or "head tremor" and see what comes up with others, as well as suggestions for non-drug things to try.  Did you try an epsom salt bath?  Are you on a fish oil supplement?  Sorry if you've answered such questions before.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• Moderator Emeritus

My eye/pain pressure and head tremors seems to be more severe these last 3 days.....the panic attacks seem to be a bit less.  So I have no idea what it is.   The eye pain and pressure I have had thru out these last 7 months or so.    The pain is something like I experienced some time ago....before June, 2015 when my dr, (after I had been off the effexor for about 6 months) thought that I might try to go back on and prescribed me the  75mg instead of the 37.5.   I took one and landed in ER with horrible eye face pain and a bunch of other symptoms.   So maybe the benzos were masking a lot of the side effects of the effexor and when I went off the benzos the side effects of the effexor started showing up.  I don't know.  So if the 7 beads don't work in the next couple of days....what should I do....quit or try something else or what?    Just so frustrated with all these horrible drugs.   

Hi Tilea, can you tell us about the previous time you were on effexor? How long for and how you tapered? This could help us understand what is happening now. Did you take any anything else before? It will help us build a picture of how long you have been prescribed these drugs. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I was prescribed in about 2002 or so at 37.5mg.   Never had a problem with it....and then decided in April or so of 2014 to discontinue...My dr. said to take it every other day for a few weeks and then I was done..   Did as he said and only experienced brain zaps at that time....couple of bouts of depression through the following year,,,, nothing major....

then had a panic attack in May of 2015, my first ever panic attack....over a health issue.   That is when I was prescribed a benzo and the AD.   Now when I look back at things....maybe it was protracted WD from the effexor which I was not aware of (only now I know because of all the reading I have done on all of this stuff)  and of course no dr. would even think about that.

Was very sick throughout the time taking the benzo and the AD....always asked the drs if it could be the drugs that are making me sick....the answer was always NO....it is just you.  

So now I find myself in this dilemma.....I am still very symptomatic from either the benzo WD or the AD....don't know.   This is brutal.....I have had this anxiety which is there the minute I wake up and is with me thru the day...had another panic attack today, but not as bad as the others have been.    

I had testing of neurotransmitters done....don't know how viable those tests are...but the seretonin levels were down and some amino acids....I was given some 5HTP that I took the second week of May for a couple of weeks plus the amino acids, but then quite everything.  

I take omega, Vit c, d, e, and b complex, probiotic and magnesium, potassium and zinc & copper. Will I ever be "me" again?????   So scared.    

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks

The anxiety which includes the brain fog or DR, not sure, panic and the eye pain pressure are the symptoms that are causing me the most problems right now and have for the last number of months.   I also have carpel tunnel which developed in the last few months....A lot of the symptoms I had before have gone but these are the remaining ones.    During tapering and during the WD I have had a few windows of "me" not 100%, but have not had many.   I just don't know what to do.   Thank you for all the help you moderators are giving me.....it is so appreciated.   

• Moderator Emeritus

The neurotransmitter tests are a great indicator of how many neurotransmitters are in your urine, but have little or nothing to do with what is happening in your brain:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3044-invalid-urine-testing-for-neurotransmitters-in-the-brain/

Please don't take anymore 5HtP, it can cause problems in withdrawal.   It works on the same pathways as your antidepressants:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9933-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan/

Carpal tunnel - I was talking to my physio about how easily I get injured.  She noted to me that it seems that anti-depressant folks get injured much easier than others, and that the injuries are very slow to heal (I've been suffering from this hand thing for over 18 months now).  She said the key was collagen, and when I looked it up, I found a connection between thyroid dysfunction and collagen.  I know people on my thyroid boards who get their thyroid checked when they get tendonitis flare ups.  I now recommend that people with persistent or long term tendon or joint inflammation injuries also get their thyroid checked:

http://http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1593-thyroid-symptoms/

Please update your signature to show the date you started the 7 beads.  If It has been at least 5 days, and you are still suffering, you can try knocking it back to 6 beads.

Maybe that tiny change in dose will help.  There are others here who have noticed significant difference with just a one bead change.

That you have had windows is a sign of great hope.  Great Hope.  It means you are healing, and you have had glimpses of what life will become as you get freer and freer from the drugs.

Thanks for all your information and support.   I have updated my info.   I will probably try the 6 beads tonight....just don't know if the symptoms are all related to the AD or to benzos.   I am also on another website where there are others who have eye pain and pressure and head pressure and numb fingers, etc.   

I was also wondering about Inositol and l-theanine as others have used them for anxiety, etc.   Would that be ok to try.   I have in the past but for only a couple of days and again was not sure if I was in a wave or it didn't agree with me.   I think you need to take it for a while to see results....not sure.   I wish there was something that would help with the anxiety and it seems to drive all my symptoms.   Thank you again for all your help.   

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tilea, 

When people want to try a supplement, we try to encourage them to proceed with caution.

1)  Try one thing at a time so you can tell if it is helping or hindering

2)  Start with a very small amount to make sure you don't have an adverse or paradoxical reaction

3)  Keep notes on paper, when you started, by how much, etc. and track your symptoms

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679