downtongirl: I want to become med-free

downtongirl

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup.  Like so many things I think this goes to a combination of individual biochemistry and placebo.  The former is just the reality that we are all different.  The latter is a recognition that when we believe something will help us it frequently does, but that might not have a long-term duration.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downtongirl

• Altostrata

• tntd

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so today has been interesting....I am now convinced that the majority of my symptoms are withdrawal from being off effexor.  My last dosage of effexor xr was 27 days ago.  There symptoms have really amped up this week.  Here are my symptoms

In the morning...

flat

lethargy

zombiness

multiple bowel movements

lack of appetite

dizziness

fatigue

frequent urination

afternoon

body aches

anxiety and adrenalin surges 

nausea

evening

nausea

anxiety and adrenalin surges

insomnia

There are positive things too..

morning

feel calmer

afternoon

feel more awake and clear headed a little more motivation

evening

feel more awake and clear headed

I think my cortisol levels play a lot into this because they are rock bottom until afternoon and escalate and stay high until morning hours...

I am having to rethink my supplements ad I am not sure I am handling the L-Methylfolate and Methyl B12 very well

I am continuing with fish oil morning, afternoon, and in the evening along with magnesium.  

I am going to try and ad seriphos this evening to see if it can help even out my cortisol.

I am holding with the 15 mg prozac as 20 felt too much but I may change it to the evenings because it does seem to make me tired.

I am afraid I will not be able to go back to work this fall and if so I will probably try to file for unemployment.

I have not been able to cook at all this week.  I feel defeated but M trying to look at it like not defeated just tired of spending so much energy and worry in fighting the symptoms and instead not giving into the symptoms but accepting them....NOT ENJOYING OR LIKING THEM....but just trying to go with them...Does this make sense?

I am afraid I may be getting akathisia.  In the late afternoon and evenings I have these surges of anxiety that will start as increased heart rate and energy feeling in my legs that will then make me anxious...they have only been lasting for a minute or two but this evening it lasted for about 2 hours.  I took a walk and felt a little better.  I pray that I don't get akathisia.  

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Ok so my weirdness continues....I am SOOOOO VERY FRUSTRATED.....and need some input from others.....

Back almost 21 years ago when I was first put on psych drugs they started me on an antidepressant (luvox), low dosage of klonopin, and trazadone for sleep.  I mention this because I have never "started up" and antidepressant without being on klonopin so I am struggling with switching from effexor to prozac with regards to knowing if what I am experience is par for the course or not.  

I have researched and read that a lot of people experience increased anxiety, nervousness, depression when starting an antidepressant...now I think this should be red flags but since I feel I have no choice but to stabilize on an antidepressant because tapering right now is not an option I would become suicidal I need to know the following....

1.  Is there anyone on here who has begun AD treatment with out the use of a benzo?

2.  If so is it normal to have an increase of anxiety, nervousness, jitteriness, agitation?

3.  On average how long does this last?  (I have read on the internet usually 2 - 4 weeks)

I am really struggling because I am experience protracted withdrawal from several failed tapers over the past 3 years and my CNS is shot!  I am desperately trying to stabilize and I plan to hold a long, long, time.

My symptoms change daily.....I started the transition from effexor to prozac on 6/17/16....I finished the cross over to just prozac on 6/25....I have bounced around from 5 mg - 20 mg and all in between since 6/25 (almost a month).  I will have a couple of days where I have ZERO motivation...it is a struggle to get out of bed and even eat.  I will be depressed, no appetite, a just don't care about anything mentality to the next day having what I am afraid is waves of akathisia.

I am trying to hold at 15 mg....day 2 of this.  I am trying to deal with the anxiety with out a benzo.  I am completely unable to fall asleep at night on my own so I have tried melatonin, supplements, etc. but last night I had to resort to trazadone.

I have had panic disorder since I was 6 so I am paranoid anytime I feel a sure of energy or anxiety that I am coming down with akathisia.  I guess I need to know if what I am experiencing is par for the course when starting up an antidepressant without a benzo.

Thanks so much in advance for your replies!

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

In my early years of AD use, I was not on a benzo or ambien. I became extremely agitated, stimulated and sleepless almost from the first dose. SSRI's and similar drugs like NSRI's all proved too much for me even when a benzo was added. I think that's why I ende up on remeron; it was the least activating, but after a short stint on that klonopin was added to aid sleep and the rest is history...very sad history.

I think these symptoms are typical for where you are in your tapering/withdrawal and sadly, there is no answer for how long it will take you to adjust. Remember frequent changes often cause hyper-sensitivity. I feel your pain. I just can't even imagine my brain functioning w/o some help with calming meds. I guess I will find that out when I start my mirtazapine taper.

I wish I could give you an answer that would help

You right now.

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  • currently 2024 still on 96 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

Thanks Grace I appreciate your reply...hope you are having a good day.

Repost....really looking for responses from those who remember what it was like when they first started an antidepressant with out using a benzo.  Thanks!

Ok so my weirdness continues....I am SOOOOO VERY FRUSTRATED.....and need some input from others.....

Back almost 21 years ago when I was first put on psych drugs they started me on an antidepressant (luvox), low dosage of klonopin, and trazadone for sleep.  I mention this because I have never "started up" and antidepressant without being on klonopin so I am struggling with switching from effexor to prozac with regards to knowing if what I am experience is par for the course or not.  

I have researched and read that a lot of people experience increased anxiety, nervousness, depression when starting an antidepressant...now I think this should be red flags but since I feel I have no choice but to stabilize on an antidepressant because tapering right now is not an option I would become suicidal I need to know the following....

1.  Is there anyone on here who has begun AD treatment with out the use of a benzo?

2.  If so is it normal to have an increase of anxiety, nervousness, jitteriness, agitation?

3.  On average how long does this last?  (I have read on the internet usually 2 - 4 weeks)

I am really struggling because I am experience protracted withdrawal from several failed tapers over the past 3 years and my CNS is shot!  I am desperately trying to stabilize and I plan to hold a long, long, time.

My symptoms change daily.....I started the transition from effexor to prozac on 6/17/16....I finished the cross over to just prozac on 6/25....I have bounced around from 5 mg - 20 mg and all in between since 6/25 (almost a month).  I will have a couple of days where I have ZERO motivation...it is a struggle to get out of bed and even eat.  I will be depressed, no appetite, a just don't care about anything mentality to the next day having what I am afraid is waves of akathisia.

I am trying to hold at 15 mg....day 2 of this.  I am trying to deal with the anxiety with out a benzo.  I am completely unable to fall asleep at night on my own so I have tried melatonin, supplements, etc. but last night I had to resort to trazadone.

I have had panic disorder since I was 6 so I am paranoid anytime I feel a sure of energy or anxiety that I am coming down with akathisia.  I guess I need to know if what I am experiencing is par for the course when starting up an antidepressant without a benzo.

Thanks so much in advance for your replies!

I dont think adding benzos to the mix is the way to go.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

downton: Inability to sit still and restlessness are listed as "more common" side effects of prozac. Anxiety, restlessness, agitation are also symptoms of withdrawal from an SSRI/SNRI. There are two likely suspects here. Experiencing your symptoms in either situation is, regrettably, "normal." 

The agitation and anxiety don't seem to be affecting your cognition. I take the fact that you're able to read and post coherently on the forums as a hopeful sign that it's just a matter of time for your CNS to settle down.

I have taken ADs 3 times and never started it with a benzo.  My start-up symptoms were more of the light-headed, spacey variety with a side order of nausea, rather than anxiety and agitation. I have had that experience twice in my life, though neither time was I using a pharmaceutical or other substance.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I dont think adding benzos to the mix is the way to go.

thanks NZ11 but I think you misunderstood....I don't want to take a benzo....doctors always had me on a benzo with an antidepressant so this is fairly new territory for me and I am looking for testimonies from people who have started a AD without a benzo to compare if what I am experiencing is normal 

downton: Inability to sit still and restlessness are listed as "more common" side effects of prozac. Anxiety, restlessness, agitation are also symptoms of withdrawal from an SSRI/SNRI. There are two likely suspects here. Experiencing your symptoms in either situation is, regrettably, "normal." 

The agitation and anxiety don't seem to be affecting your cognition. I take the fact that you're able to read and post coherently on the forums as a hopeful sign that it's just a matter of time for your CNS to settle down.

I have taken ADs 3 times and never started it with a benzo.  My start-up symptoms were more of the light-headed, spacey variety with a side order of nausea, rather than anxiety and agitation. I have had that experience twice in my life, though neither time was I using a pharmaceutical or other substance.

Thanks Scallywag for your response....I am feeling a little better today....I am hoping it continues.

Hi girl! I really hope you too are doing ok today and that you hang in there for a while with a plan that works for you!

Benzo (Iktorivil; 2mg): 1999-2012 Last dose: 0,1mg January 2012

SSRI (Escitalopram; 10mg): 2002-2016 Stopped 2,5mg February 2016 - Back to 5mg in July 2016.

"...You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival." - Churchill

Thanks MH....me too  :)

• Moderator Emeritus

My ad use was always without benzos.  I experienced what you are - lots of anxiety, dizziness, queasiness, exhaustion etc for about 3 weeks.  Was told by my doctor it was normal.  Now I'd see it a little differently. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks Karen B for your reply....yep that is what I am reading on the internet....I know my CNS is fried and over reacts to everything now after all of my failures the past few years trying to be med free but I wasn't sure if all of these side effects were normal for starting an ad without a benzo.  I am thinking before when I started antidepressants the benzo masked the anxiety and agitation.  I hate these drugs!

Downtongirl.  Like Karen, I had many years of A/D's without a benzo. I had similar symptoms going on the drugs , but I also had much the same symptoms going off in W/D. That's what can make this so hard at times. It is sometimes impossible to predict how an individual will react to these drugs. There is an average but there are wide variations on the spectrum. That is why Dr Glenmullen's symptom list is so long.

I am afraid I may be getting akathisia.  In the late afternoon and evenings I have these surges of anxiety that will start as increased heart rate and energy feeling in my legs that will then make me anxious...they have only been lasting for a minute or two but this evening it lasted for about 2 hours.  I took a walk and felt a little better.  I pray that I don't get akathisia. 

I had this for close on 12- 18  months. It might have been a mild form of akathisia, but not in the true sense. It's a W/D symptom and it's gone now. . Occasionally , I get a burst but it rarely lasts long. I don't think you have or will get akathisia in the true sense. I had very similar feelings particularly in  the late afternoon. It felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin and I would go and bother my husband who works from home. I would say - " I have that strange feeling again " . The thing is, this is before I knew what was going on and I thought I was going mad . Of course , he was " clueless" at that time , as well. Now, we both know better.

I have found the less you obsess and stress about  the varying  symptoms the better your recovery will be. Let them go like   " leaves down a river " -  watch them " float" by , if you can. Anxiety and fear just exacerbates and prolongs W/D and therefore recovery.

I found it better to accept the process and move on with as little angst as possible. I knew it would take a while and adjusted my expectations accordingly.

I know that sounds harsh , but I didn't want to have any false hope. You are in a much better position of knowing what is happening  & tapering accordingly. I C/T'ed unknowingly.

I think you are actually doing very well. It will take a little time , but you will get there.

I wish I had known what was happening during my very confusing journey. Unfortunately , I found out too late. You are in a much more fortunate position. You have the facts, information and support. You will be fine. Just keep doing what you have to do to get well - one step at a time.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

My expweience was similar to Aligs.

In the prozac drug trials they gave people prozac and a benzo With the benzo covering adverse effects of the prozac hence stopping drop outs and making prozac look better than it was and to help squeeze a positive result and push prozac over the approval line. This scientific misconduct continues today.

nz11

4am ...

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Downtongirl.  Like Karen, I had many years of A/D's without a benzo. I had similar symptoms going on the drugs , but I also had much the same symptoms going off in W/D. That's what can make this so hard at times. It is sometimes impossible to predict how an individual will react to these drugs. There is an average but there are wide variations on the spectrum. That is why Dr Glenmullen's symptom list is so long.

I had this for close on 12- 18  months. It might have been a mild form of akathisia, but not in the true sense. It's a W/D symptom and it's gone now. . Occasionally , I get a burst but it rarely lasts long. I don't think you have or will get akathisia in the true sense. I had very similar feelings particularly in  the late afternoon. It felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin and I would go and bother my husband who works from home. I would say - " I have that strange feeling again " . The thing is, this is before I knew what was going on and I thought I was going mad . Of course , he was " clueless" at that time , as well. Now, we both know better.

I have found the less you obsess and stress about  the varying  symptoms the better your recovery will be. Let them go like   " leaves down a river " -  watch them " float" by , if you can. Anxiety and fear just exacerbates and prolongs W/D and therefore recovery.

I found it better to accept the process and move on with as little angst as possible. I knew it would take a while and adjusted my expectations accordingly.

I know that sounds harsh , but I didn't want to have any false hope. You are in a much better position of knowing what is happening  & tapering accordingly. I C/T'ed unknowingly.

I think you are actually doing very well. It will take a little time , but you will get there.

I wish I had known what was happening during my very confusing journey. Unfortunately , I found out too late. You are in a much more fortunate position. You have the facts, information and support. You will be fine. Just keep doing what you have to do to get well - one step at a time.

Ali

Thanks Alig for responding....I know no one knows and each person is different but from what I am seeing is that the start up side effects usually last about a month....do you remember about how long the start up anxiety/aggitation/festlessness lasted for you?

I am so confused right now I don't know if this nervous energy feeling, agitation (just pissed in general for no reason) is from the prozac or from going off of the effexor.....

My ad use was always without benzos.  I experienced what you are - lots of anxiety, dizziness, queasiness, exhaustion etc for about 3 weeks.  Was told by my doctor it was normal.  Now I'd see it a little differently. 

Karen B....did you have a feeling of agitation ( just a right next to the surface feeling of being pissed in general and like you just wanted to scream) feeling too?

Is what you felt starting the antidepressant akathisia?

How long did it last?

DG.  I honestly couldn't say. Perhaps , like you it was muddled. I was on & off so many  A/D drugs over so many years it's almost impossible to tease out what was what .  It's possibly the same for you - you just don't know . In that case all you can do now is stay stable and carry on from here. Stability is key and not stressing over symptoms, everyday . Stay the distance in terms of sticking with a dose, and then moving on.

Chart your symptoms, and then forget about it. Try not to stress.

You have the information now - taper slowly and steadily as recommended here. Listen to your body - don't cut if you're having symptoms. Just hold. Taper in a functional manner that allows you to have a life. If you feel it is too fast - then slow down. Have a look at Brassmonkey's thread.

Look at Symptoms & Self Care. It is a mine of information. Find the tools that you can implement to your healing advantage not only now, but also for the rest of your life. While we have all been through the mill , so to speak , we also have the unique advantage of having been pushed to the brink so as to question modern medicine to the point of knowing that it is not the answer. Personally , I'm glad that I have found this out now and not when it was too late.

Try not to time this thing but to move through it with fluidity and grace, learning as you go .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi downton girl,

I know you have a fear of akathisia.  You asked me if I had it.  I just studied the difference between restless leg syndrome and akathisia and they are very closely related.  If you have it, you know it...believe me...I wanted to cut off  my legs.  It happened during the day and night and each time was brought on by an activating anti-psychotic....seroquel, which I stayed on less than 4 weeks 15 years ago, and abilify which I was on for 2 nights because the RLS came on immediately.  It's a deal breaker for me.

I am thinking that while you are still in the bridging phase of this effexor-prozac switch, that you may have an over-abundance of stimulating neuro-transmitters (either serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine) that haven't balanced out yet from the switch.  After all, this isn't an exact science, especially when you factor in cross-overs.  I think you have every reason to believe you are going to settle down from this cross-over.  You must start believing that you are going to and try to stop worrying.  Think of every minute, hour, day, symptom as healing, not hurting.   I speak from the exact same place you are.  I am in a long hold and having a long wave of symptoms but I am choosing to accept them as a very long wave that was perhaps over-due.  I don't know what is going to happen next, but after I finish this post, I am not even going to think about it for the rest of the day.  Tomorrow will come soon enough...for better or for worse.

As soon as your brain has adjusted to the "pre-bridging" phase, perhaps the neurotransmitters will be back to where they were when you were just on effexor.

That is what I am hoping for you.

Grace

• 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

• Administrator

downton, this really belongs in your own Intro topic, so I'm copying them here

Help777....so sorry you are struggling....I feel for you because I think we are in a similar situation....when I try prozac at 20 mg I can barely function and have severe anhedonia....then when I am at 10 mg it doesn't cover up enough of the withdrawal symptoms from effexor xr....so I have been at 15 mg for 5 days and Friday was better, yesterday was actually pretty good, but today I am like you....nervous energy, generally in a pissed mood, anxiety, increased heart rate....I can sit for long periods of time so I don't know if this is akathisia or not I just know I long for calmness.

Please stop worrying about akathisia, those symptoms do not conform to it.

This is the 6th day at 15mg Prozac? How does this compare with how you felt on 20mg?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

downton, this really belongs in your own Intro topic, so I'm copying them here

Help777....so sorry you are struggling....I feel for you because I think we are in a similar situation....when I try prozac at 20 mg I can barely function and have severe anhedonia....then when I am at 10 mg it doesn't cover up enough of the withdrawal symptoms from effexor xr....so I have been at 15 mg for 5 days and Friday was better, yesterday was actually pretty good, but today I am like you....nervous energy, generally in a pissed mood, anxiety, increased heart rate....I can sit for long periods of time so I don't know if this is akathisia or not I just know I long for calmness.

Please stop worrying about akathisia, those symptoms do not conform to it.

This is the 6th day at 15mg Prozac? How does this compare with how you felt on 20mg?

I apologize Alto if my post was inappropriate....

Well on 20 mg I felt like a complete zombie and felt so flat and depressed

Here is how I have felt the past week...

Saturday...breakfast...15 mg prozac, fish oil, B6, B12, L-mehtylfolate @ 15 mg (I had been taking a supplement given by my dr. that had only 5 mg of L-methylfolate and NAC in it)

lunch time & during afternoon....felt very flat...didn't want to do anything

supper....couldn't eat too much

evening....fish oil and mag glycinate

bedtime...had to take 5 mg of melatonin....fitful sleep

Sunday....breakfast, 10 mg of prozac (because I felt the anhedonia the day before meant too much prozac), 15 mg L-Methylfolate, Vitamin b6, B12 Fish oil

morning...went to church felt ok

afternoon....sad, flat, bored, irritated

evening good dog for a walk ate light supper

bed time....2 fish oil 

slept really well with out any sleep aids

Monday...breakfast 10 mg prozac, 15 mg l-methylfolate, fish oil, b12, b6

morning felt energized...not really a good energized

afternoon lots of muscle pain like the flu so I thought it was due to decrease in prozac so I added 5 mg of prozac

suppertime...nauseaus, anxiety, muscle pain....had to take two tylenol

10 pm....had to take trazadone to sleep....horrible anxiety, brain zaps, etc. during the night

Tuesday....woke up feeling like someone had ran over me with a truck

had to make myself eat breakfast

20 mg of prozac

Stopped L-methylfolate and b vitamins and just took fish oil because I had read that l-methylfolate can cause unstable mood and muscle pain when starting it

Felt so bad physically and mentally all day....adhedonia, fatigue but can't sleep so I called my dr. he said to go back to 15 mg and hold there 

supper time....started feeling a little better

bed time 2 fish oil and mag glycinate

slept pretty well for me

Wednesday....am woke up feeling a little better

ate breakfast and took 15 mg of prozac and fish oil....no methyl folate or b vitamins

felt much better today....actually a little optimistic

a few surges of anxiety with hot flash feeling

bed time had to take melatonin for sleep

got about 6 hours of broken sleep

Thursday...     woke up due to cortisol surge

ate breakfast 15 mg prozac, added back in half the l-methylfolate....7.5 mg, vitamin b12, vitamin b6, fish oil

mid morning felt nauseous and flat

afternoon lots and lots of bathroom visits

anxiety and adrenalin hot flash rushes

took a walk

ate a little bit of supper

bed time fish oil, mag glycinate

heart rate gets to 96 beats per minute when I average in the low 70's per minute

had to take trazadone to sleep

during sleep lots of body jerks, brain zaps, waves of panic

Friday....      woke up feeling a little better

ate breakfast....a little more of an appetite than before

15 mg of prozac and fish oil....did not take any l-methylfolate or b vitamins

some waves of anxiety/adrenalin/irritability/hot flashes

better day than thursday

bed time fish oil

was able to sleep with out sleep aid

Saturday (yesterday)...am ate breakfast and took 15 mg of prozac, and fish oil, no l-methylfolate or b vitamins

felt pretty good during the day...ran some errands 

hot flashes with adrenaline surges and anxiety less today

no nausea after eating this evening supper

bed time 2 fish oils ....took a long time to go to sleep but slept about 5 hours

Sunday (today)....woke up due to cortisol surge

ate breakfast took 15 mg of prozac with fish oil and no l-methylfolate or b vitamins

have been in a state of heightened anxiety since wakening....it feels like it is right under the surface....I also felt very irritable this morning.  I am able to see still ab 

able to go to church but felt restless.  Early afternoon today I started feeling a little more calm but not like I need to feel....heart rate is increased and I have a little       

nausea, headache, and jaw muscle tension.

Alto, I know you are the expert but here are my thoughts please respond and tell me if you agree or disagree...

1.  The l-methylfolate 15 mg and even 7.5 mg is way too much for me....I don't even know if I will be able to tolerate any at all so I have stopped it....do you thing this was the right thing to day....I had been on the Cetefolin (5 mg of l-methyl folate plus NAC) for one month prior to starting the 15 mg of l-methylfolate this week

2.  Effexor Xr withdrawals are really kicking in after being off or one month....I also tend to process/metabolize medicines slowly due to the mthfr gene mutation and a couple other mutations I have....CYP1A!, CYP1B1, CYP2C19, COMT, Nat2, ZOX@,  I am also completely absent GSTM!, GSTP

3.  I am having start up anxiety due to prozac

4.  Yesterday and today I have felt more anxiety in the morning after taking the dosage of prozac....but from what I can research peak plasma level of prozac is 6-8 hours after dosage so that would make me think that I should be more anxious in the afternoon but I am a little better this afternoon so this makes me confused is the 15 mg of prozac still too much?

Thank you so much for your response!

Hi downtown girl,

I read your symptom diary, and it really jumped out at me that (other than today) you had better days when you didn't take the B vitamins. Why don't you consider not taking B vitamins at all until you stabilize, and MAYBE then you could restart w/ micro-doses. As I have shared w/ you before, though I have the MTHFR mutation, and am grossly deficient in the B's, especially B-12, the reality is even w/ methylated forms I do not tolerate them. Dr. Ben Lynch, the expert in MTHFR, acknowledges this is a reality for some, and can be best compensated by living clean in every way possible. That's what I do. I try not to worry. Almost 40% of the population has an MTHFR mutation and most don't even know it. They manage to live with it. Perhaps this is not optimal for a long life, but we need to consider quality of life right now.

Grace

Thanks grace...yes I think that is some of it and I plan on not taking the l-methylfolate and b12 unless one of the mods feel I need to but I am confused about the other though but am hoping Alto will have some insight!

• Moderator Emeritus

Nice spotting re the B vitamins SavingGrace. 

Downton - I honestly can't remember if I felt agitation when I started or not.  I don't think I did. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks KarenB....I appreciate it.

Well, today was a LOT better than yesterday.  I was able to sleep about 7 hours (broken) sleep without a sleep aid.  Last night I took a walk for about an hour and then took a nice long warm epsom salts bath.  Maybe that helped with the sleep.  I dropped back down to 10 mg as I feel the 15 mg is too much.  I may end up some where around 12.5 mg but we will see.  If so I will consider doing a switch to liquid...hoping I can stabilize on 10 mg until next spring.  Today I have felt much more calm and even did a load of laundry, washed dishes, took a shower, put on make up, went to the grocery store, cooked supper, and just took another hour long walk.  I actually felt a little like a normal person.  I am scared that this window won't last long but am hoping it will.  I am no longer taking the L-Methyl Folate and Vitamin B12 as I feel that contributed to some of the problems from last week.

So glad to hear you had a better day. Yay!

Grace

Thank you Grace how was your Monday?

Not great. Maybe I'll be up to writing soon about it. I'm exhausted and stressed and do not know what to do next. I haven't wanted to bother you w/ my problems. When you are well for several days, maybe I'll tell you what a mess my head/life is.

Hope you have another 7 hours tonight!

Grace

Well my update from today.....slept about 7 hours without sleep aid....woke up with a  little bit of a headache.  Ate breakfast and took 10 mg of prozac and a fish oil.  About 45 minutes after I take the prozac I start to feel heavy headed, tired, dizzy, and warm.  Around lunch time (about 4 hours after taking 10 mg of prozac) I start feeling irritable because I am not feeling as awake and energetic as I did earlier this morning.  I was feeling so good this morning that I was planning on doing some scrapbooking this afternoon but have only been able to sit in the chair as i have been tired.  Closed my eyes for a while and when it felt like I was going to doze off I would get these brain zap feelings in my body so no nap.  Once the prozac has been in my system for about 4 hours I start having a little energized feeling in my legs and this lasts until the prozac has been in my system for about 10 hours.  I have researched and it seems prozac's peak plasma level is around 6 - 8 hours.  Does anyone know if they think these symptoms I experience in the afternoon are more likely withdrawal or side effects of prozac.  Overall I am better than i was Sunday at 15 mugs and definitely feel better than I did at 20 mgs.  I guess I will plan on taking the 10 mg tomorrow too.

I haven't heard a response back from a moderator in a couple of days but I hope to ! :)  I am nervous about my regularly scheduled psych appointment tomorrow.  

Here is an update.....

I trie holding at 15 mg for 5 days and felt some relief since it was lower than the 20 but it was still too much....I was starting to get bad anxiety feelings in legs in the evening

I then dropped it down to 10 mg because I feel that prozac is a too stimulating antidepressant for me....the drop to 10 mg is an improvement....the anxiety in the legs is less but still gets very intense from about 6 pm - 8 pm.

I really feel like the prozac is just too stimulating for me....I am wondering if I need to do one of the following....

1.  drop to 5 mg and hold there for 4 days to see how that does?

2.  switch to a less stimulating drug like maybe 5 mg of celexa or elavil?

I would appreciate some feed back please as I have an appointment with my psych. appointment tomorrow.

I am only taking fish oil for my supplements.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Ive got the feeling that this is beginning to head in a predictable direction....for the 4th time.

ie the prozac bridge doesnt work and you end up back on the previous drug (effexor?) again in a mess then you stabilise and the doctor then, heaven only knows why, attempts to do a prozac bridge yet again.  Can you see a pattern developing?

Slow tapering  is the way to go to get off these drugs and gain your life back.

No one on this site is going to recommend a switch or any drug for that matter. They are all the same ..dangerously worse than useless. celexa (citalopram) is a nasty chemical.

The fact that you are even thinking this suggests you still haven't been able to reach the 'un-patient me ' phase.

Right from the very first post by Rhi and Petu it was voiced that slow tapering is the way to go.

Personally i don't think anything helpful will come from talking to the p-doc.

However if he decides to switch you back to effexor then when stable step up and take control back from these people un-patient yourself and slow taper. My guess and its only a guess is that a 5th attempt may not work either...i could be wrong though.

Downtongirl i am sorry you are in this difficult situation.

Wishng you strength

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

Thank you or your reply....I agree with what you said and I don't want to switch but I feel I am having an adverse reaction to the prozac and am wondering if I should get liquid prozac and try maybe 5 mg or less....????

The adverse reaction that i am referring to that I don't think I can take is in the evenings I get a couple hour stretch of panic, anxiety, nervous energy to where my heart rate goes well over a hundred beats per minute and stays there for a couple of hours.  

I entered Prozac and Taurine in the drug checker but it did not recognize Taurine...is it ok to take Taurine while on prozac?

Taurine is technically a supplement not a drug so it may not show up in the drug checker. Is there a supplement link? I think there is. What works for one does not work for another, as you know.

Grace