downtongirl: I want to become med-free

downtongirl

I had a reaction to these sort of over the counter cold medicines whilst I was on the drug a few years ago. I had what the doctors thought was a big breakdown. It was actually akathisia. So yes - those drugs can cause havoc and I would not risk using anything like that for a while.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downtongirl

• Altostrata

• tntd

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Later....ive had a think and here are some phases, symptoms and time frames to ponder.

Consider :

The curious phase; Symptom (S) thinking ‘Should I really still be taking this drug after 10 years use’ ‘Why do I feel so numb to life’ Lasts until next docs visit.

The enquiry phase; S, Asking doc questions like what the heck is this crap im swallowing anyway. Are you sure this is not addictive? Lasts for one consultation and about two weeks after.

The confused phase; S- Unhappy with doctor blitherings and a desire to start to do ‘googling’ 

The humiliation phase; S- after 10 mins of googling a sense of horror begins to descend and a tsunami of shear unbelief emerges…..timeframe -after 5 years I am still in it.

The urgency phase; S- A desire to tell the doctor ‘get me off this crap!!’ Lasts until next doctor visit and during his predictable kamakazi taper schedule.

The uninformed taper phase; S- On the doctors instructions you become drug free within a month often sooner.

The hypomanic phase; S- I am so glad I got that poison out of me  ….i feel much more alive. Timeframe about 1 week to 2 months.

The crash phase; S – a sense of wanting to die emerges. Occurs about 2-3 months once off the drug.

The akathisia phase; S- uncontrolled restlessness and uncontrolled psychological panic suicidality topped off with crying spells. 2-3 years.

The doc help me phase; S- a sudden urge to run to the doc / anyone in order to take away the suffering. 2 -4 years.

The terror/unimaginable/ I want to scream horror phase; S –PSSD, may last forever.

The un-patient me phase; S- A sudden realization sinks in that the doctor has no idea what he is doing, peddling or promoting. Comes on very quickly and may last for the rest of your life. It’s a major paradigm shifting phase. Can be triggered by experiencing full blown ssri withdrawal. Some are incapable of passing through this phase .

The im not taking anymore bullsh#t phase ; S- the growing of two antennae, ones called Blinkin and the others called Stupid or BS for short. Growth begins during the 10 mins of googling.

The uncontrollable anger phase; S- When the neighbours dog barks one time too many, one is overcome with a desire to nuke the neighbor, the neighbours house and pets. And that family member who criticizes me …oh boy you just started a cold war and the resurrection of the Berlin wall. 2 years maybe 3 years. A desire to say things that people can get put in jail for saying. If not careful collateral damage could last a life time.

The out of control manic/psychotic phase; S- A desire to persue self destructive actions and reckless spending and foolish impulsive decision making. 3 4 years...and anytime while on the drug.

The I cant take this anymore in the mornings phase; S- A desire to go to bed and never wake up again. 4 years

The windows and waves phase; S- windows and waves, years.

I am not going to make it phase; S- about 3-4 years.

I am outraged about what has happened to me  phase; S writing letters of complaints prolifically ….kicks in at about the 2 year stage…

The diarrhea and flatulence phase; S – diarrhea and flatulence , ongoing may last for years.

The insomnia phase; S - cant get a regular nights sleep, should resolve itself  usually takes  about 9 years

The OCD phase; S – OCD; usually only realized with hindsight and insight. Maybe 5 years.

The chronic fatigue and muscle weakness phase; S - fatigue and weakness, Not sure how long it lasts but i hope it resolves soon cos at 5 years this phase truly sucks. 

The I found SA phase; S- Overwhelming thankfulness and relief one is not alone, also a sudden desire to welcome every newbie...with a flood of opinions, Can last a long time and may become  an addiction...after 5 years im still in it. Hoping to taper sometime soon.

oh yeah one more ...The i'm getting on with my life phase ; S- forgetting to check in to sa because i have a life to live  ...hopefully kicks in sooner rather than later.

There are heaps more but this is just a couple that came to mind!

OMG!  Is this your personal story of phases or is this what I have to look forward to?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi downtongirl,

nz11 is adding "a bit" of humour with the list he has written.  A little bit naughty of him really.

BUT the different phases of withdrawal and symptoms and length of phases are different for every individual.  It's a bit unknown for each of us

BUT we are fortunate that we have the guidance of people who have been through withdrawing antidepressant medication.  And much of the information is already on this site.  Please see Fresh's Post #30 above where she has included links to many of the relevant topics.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

thanks to everyone who has replied...I really appreciate it.  I have had a rough night...have not slept at all, chills, trembling, multiple waves of anxiety each hour, diahrhea and trembling, now I have to go to work, luckily I have a routine appointment with my psychiatrist this afternoon...I just don't know if I should reinstate at 1-5 mg or try and tough it out?

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi downtongirl,

I would like to suggest that if the psychiatrist suggests you going back on Prozac and/or starting on a different medication/s that  BEFORE you start taking anything they recommend you post back here what they suggest (medication AND dosage - take notes OR better still ask for it to be written down because it is so easy to forget) .

That way the members here will be able to offer suggestions.

Unfortunately we aren't able to make the decisions for you but only offer suggestions.  If you do reinstate, start at a very lose to see how you respond to it.  This link is information About Reinstating.  PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION.  The following information is included in this topic and is very helpful:

• What is known about reinstatement
  • Additional reasons to reinstate only a partial dose
  • How long should you give reinstatement?
  • Reinstate at what dosage?

Reinstating is best done when the withdrawal symptoms start to appear.  If you leave reinstating for a long period, your brain has had a chance to adjust a bit, so you may not need as much medication.  The hard part is nobody can say how much you will need which is why it is suggested that you start with a low dose and see how you go.  If the symptoms subside then that might be the right dose.  If after (I think) 4-5 days you don't see improvement, then you would think about increasing your dose a little bit more.  You need to listen to your body.

CC

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Well...I made it through a day at work by the Grace of God....I made it to my routine psychiatrist appointment this afternoon. My psychiatrist is a nice man and he is skeptical it is withdrawal given I have been off of it for almost 7 weeks.  I told him I fully believe it is withdrawals and he accepted that.  He and I talked and I suggested he RX me the liquid Prozac and he did.  He has written the RX to start at 1.25 ml (5 mg) of Prozac 1 x a day. He asked me to call him if I decide to reinstate.  He says I may not need that much and may only need it for a week or so.  He wrote the RX with 2 refills if I want to reinstate and take it down to 4 mg, 3 mg, 2 mg , etc.  I also asked him for a RX of hydroxyzine for emergency panic control because I have panic attacks and they get wicked bad during withdrawal.  I know this is probably not a popular medicine but I do not want to go back on a benzo Lord willing...so I have 10 mg and 25 mg hydroxyzine if I need it.  Today has been weird....once I ate breakfast I felt a little better...around noon when I started getting hungry my anxiety increased...I ate something and felt better for about an hour...then the anxiety got really bad so I took my second fish oil of the day and I felt better for a few hours.  I once again had a slight increase in blood sugar late this afternoon so I ate a banana and felt a little better...I just ate supper and I feel a little better.  Does withdrawal affect your blood sugar levels?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi downtongirl,

I don't know anything about wd affecting blood sugar levels but blood sugar levels MIGHT affect your anxiety so it might be worthwhile making sure that you eat something (preferably a healthy snack - others might have suggestions) in between your main meals (even if you don't really feel hungry) to keep your blood sugar levels consistent.

Tapering from 5 mg to 4 mg, 3 mg, 2 mg is in fact a taper of:  20% from 5 to 4,  25%  from 4 to 3, 33% from 3 to 2.  As you can see from these %s they get higher as you reduce your dose if you do it this way.  The tapering topic suggests a 10% reduction of the current dose so the first reduction from 5 to 4 is DOUBLE that.  10% reduction of 5mg would be 4.5mg.

"He says I may not need that much and may only need it for a week or so."

Again, as per the tapering topic, we are advised to stabilise before we taper to the next dose.  This stabilisation may take several weeks to a couple of months, nobody knows.  You need to listen to your body.  The idea of reinstating is to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms.  Withdrawal symptoms mean your brain needs more of the medication (because your brain has changed).  Your brain renews itself during the holding time between tapers, so once you are stable you can then try a maximum of 10% drop in the dose.  If after 4-5 days (I think) you are still getting withdrawal symptoms you would have to decide whether to increase your dose again and continue for a bit longer before trying to taper again.

It is a slow process, but because the brain needs to make adjustments, the slower the better.  The information on this site attests to these suggestions.

I hope these explanations help.

CC

My psychiatrist is a nice man and he is skeptical it is withdrawal given I have been off of it for almost 7 weeks.  I told him I fully believe it is withdrawals and he accepted that.

Thanks for coming back to give an update of the pdoc.

he is skeptical it is withdrawal

Well this is not a surprise.

He might be sincere but he is sincerely wrong.

But it is nice of him to accept your point of view what he then writes in the notes may however be something entirely different.

You have been on these drugs for many years and many ri's also appears you have taken a variety of different red apples. Unless you are one of the lucky ones and from past ris i can only guess you are not then  the withdrawals will go on for a lot longer than a week. They could if you choose to remain drug free go on for several years. (at least they did for me...see my sig) 7 weeks off is very early days in the iatrogenic healing journey.

Here is an interesting piece:

Healing is a Shocking Process

Healing from this particular form of iatrogenic injury is a shocking process. It is shocking by nature of the fact that one of the hallmarks of this brain injury is a deep and profound neurological terror. This terror, held in the autonomic nervous system, manifests in a myriad number of forms from individual to individual. Even within the individual it most often shows up in numerous ways — possibly and often impacting every system of the body.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2015/08/healing-is-a-shocking-process/

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

did any of you ever just start trembling for no reason....just start shaking? If so what causes this?

My psychiatrist is a nice man and he is skeptical it is withdrawal given I have been off of it for almost 7 weeks.  I told him I fully believe it is withdrawals and he accepted that.

Thanks for coming back to give an update of the pdoc.

he is skeptical it is withdrawal

Well this is not a surprise.

He might be sincere but he is sincerely wrong.

But it is nice of him to accept your point of view what he then writes in the notes may however be something entirely different.

You have been on these drugs for many years and many ri's also appears you have taken a variety of different red apples. Unless you are one of the lucky ones and from past ris i can only guess you are not then  the withdrawals will go on for a lot longer than a week. They could if you choose to remain drug free go on for several years. (at least they did for me...see my sig) 7 weeks off is very early days in the iatrogenic healing journey.

Here is an interesting piece:

Healing is a Shocking Process

Healing from this particular form of iatrogenic injury is a shocking process. It is shocking by nature of the fact that one of the hallmarks of this brain injury is a deep and profound neurological terror. This terror, held in the autonomic nervous system, manifests in a myriad number of forms from individual to individual. Even within the individual it most often shows up in numerous ways — possibly and often impacting every system of the body.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2015/08/healing-is-a-shocking-proces

Is it a good thing that I have windows during the day?

• Moderator Emeritus

did any of you ever just start trembling for no reason....just start shaking? If so what causes this?

Its a withdrawal symptom, I went through a stage where it was part of my routine morning symptoms, I get it sometimes now, but not often and not as bad.  See:  tremors, shaking, body vibration - Surviving Antidepressants

I'm happy to hear that your appointment went well and you have some liquid Prozac for reinstatement and tapering if you decide to go that route.

Please read through the reinstatement topic again, that ChessieCat posted a few posts up, this will help you to decide. And here is the Prozac tapering topic which you will need later:

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

*topic moved from symptoms forum

I recently flew from the east coast to Arizona and then back to the east coast...I am now experiencing an increase in insomnia, irritability, and tinnitus....could this be due to withdrawal or normal effects from air travel?

Edited by Petunia
added note

I recently flew from Melbourne to Perth and back again in Australia for 6 days... and suffered horribly.

I normally am slight more prone to jetlag issues, but I was extremely fatigued for about 2 weeks on returning - I put it down to a few changes recently with dose, and it tiring my body and bringing on fresh waves of withdrawal.

2008 (approx) Lexapro 10mg.  2009 attempted cold turkey 5mg for 2 weeks - crash and burn.  2009 back on 10mg.

2012 - pooped out - but didn't know.   2014 - poop-out got worse.  2014 sept 20mg, 2014 oct 15mg, 2014 nov 10mg

2014 dec 7.5mg,  2014 dec 23rd crashed.  Dec 24th 10mg - trying to stabilize

2015 Jan Stabilized as much as thought I would, 2015 Jan 9mg, 2015 Late Feb, 8mg, 2015 late Mar 7mg.  22nd May 6.3mg

2015 small "slide" down to 6mg.  19th June 5mg. 15th Aug 4.5mg - slid down to 4mg.  Sept 20th 3.8mg.

2015 gradual decrease between Oct and Nov 10th to 3mg:  Dec between 3-2mg.  2016 Jan15th 2mg  Feb: 1.8mg, somewhere got to 1.6mg.

2016 Feb 25th crashed!  Not sure if sick or WD, back to 2mg.

2016 During March - gradual decrease to 1.8mg, then 1.5mg.  April 19th 1mg

2016 June 8th 0.8mg   July 1st 0.6mg:  Sept 0.4mg (long hold)

2017 Jan 0.2mg

2017 May 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YAY

Thanks for your reply!  I was thinking of going on another trip where I would need to fly but I am reconsidering it!  Driving maybe my mode of travel from now on!

• 2 weeks later...

Update for me...it has been 11 weeks today since my last dosage of Prozac (10 mg) and I had a nice window of 7 days.  I was able to go to the gym, enjoy watching television, etc.  Unfortunately, yesterday I was hit with what I guess is a wave.  For some reason I seem to have higher anxiety in the afternoons...is this a normal thing for antidepressant withdrawal?  My wave symptoms are...fatigue, high anxiety, muscle/jaw tension, broken sleep, sort of slightly hypomanic and a little depressed mood.  I notice when I eat something my mood lifts for a little while.  Am I still in the initial/phase 1 of withdrawal?  If so how long does the initial phase typically last and how many phases are there?

Congratulations on being 11 weeks drug free.

Id be careful and take it easy at the gym as exercise can load the cns and trigger a cognitive implosion ie wdl symptoms.

No one knows how long things last its one big rollercoaster that has the ability to go forward and backward at anytime.

You weaned off 150 mg of effexor in august that was fast. How long had you been taking it for? Was that one month taper the docs idea?

Were you aware that many people here are tapering at 10% of previous dose per month.

You are having some windows so thats a good sign.

Great to hear the update.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Congratulations on being 11 weeks drug free.

Id be careful and take it easy at the gym as exercise can load the cns and trigger a cognitive implosion ie wdl symptoms.

No one knows how long things last its one big rollercoaster that has the ability to go forward and backward at anytime.

You weaned off 150 mg of effexor in august that was fast. How long had you been taking it for? Was that one month taper the docs idea?

Were you aware that many people here are tapering at 10% of previous dose per month.

You are having some windows so thats a good sign.

Great to hear the update.

Thank you for your kind words...the initial taper off of Effexor xr was my idea but my dr. knew I was doing it.  I know I realize my taper was way too fast but I don't want to try reinstatement at this point...

ok.

Well i can see 'only to reinstate because of withdrawal' x3 in your drug sig.

I sure hope you can ride this out this time to the other side

Wishing you strength.

Recovering paxil addict

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Downton, how are you going? 

Did you reinstate the prozac 5 mg?

How is that going for you?

Really, really really - you need to think of this drug free as a long term goal.  It's not gonna be fixed in weeks - especially since you yo-yo withdrew so many times.  Think of it as at least 2-4 years.  It may be sooner - but it could be longer.  Just plan for the long term, and worry less about "how long will this last?"  We don't know.  It's different for everyone, and the choices you make (such as cold medicine, food sensitivities, or yo-yo dosing) will be huge factors in your withdrawal success.

Have you seen this?

Here is a list of possible symptoms you may experience (there are more, but this is a good list):

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

When you have a new symptoms (there may be many before this is over, withdrawal morphs and changes as you go through the process) - check against the withdrawal list.  Get a printout of it - in fact, print 30 of them and check them daily for a month.  Then, print 52 of them and check them weekly for a year.  You are still in early, early days yet.  If you want to really get off the drugs, you will need to reinstate and taper slowly, or hunker down and ride the roller coaster.

You've chosen a fast taper for your fourth taper, even after having come to SA for your third taper, which was also too fast.  I know you are intimidated by cutting pills, counting beads, using scales and liquid - it is criminal that the pharma companies don't make the doses small enough to taper properly.  Hopefully your liquid Prozac will help with this.  Have you reinstated the Prozac?

Do you read the links you've been given?

When you have questions, it's often a good idea to re-read your thread and read the links.  This is a place of learning, in addition to support.  

Further, it is important to have support in your real-world life, too - whether that is a daily practice of meditation, yoga, tai chi, or a group of friends you can hang out with and be yourself, even when you're not feeling well - or a formal group like a class or craft group or church group.  There's also practitioners, like therapists, acupuncturists, massage therapists, who can really help you get through the process.  Please see:  Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Administrator

dg, withdrawal syndrome can last for months or years. There are no distinct phases other than at first, the symptoms are called acute withdrawal and later, they are called post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) or prolonged withdrawal syndrome.

There is no way to predict how long withdrawal syndrome will last for anyone.

If you find your symptoms getting worse, please consider reinstating a very small amount, perhaps 1mg, of Prozac.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have had massages in the past but have had a couple in the past week and after my massage tonight I had high anxiety with chills. Can a massage trigger a wave?

Edited by Petunia
added note

hello all and thank you for your replies...I have not reinstated Prozac as of yet.  I am in another bad wave of high anxiety and insomnia.  my psychiatrist thinks I should not reinstate since I have been off for 14 weeks.  I have been taking a medical plant food called limbrell and nsaids for muscle spasm, inflammation, and pain.  I believe it has given me diahrhea and for some reason when I have multiple bowel movements in a day I get chills and high anxiety.  does anyone know if there is a correlation between diahrhea and waves of withdrawal?  I know the limbrell is supposed to balance out my metabolism as it pertains to inflammation so I don't know if it is messing up anything else metabolically or not.

Hello!  I have a bad neck.  I have bone spurs and some slight cervical stenosis which causes pain on top of having tmj.  I have been going to a chiropractor, massage therapist, and physical therapist for over a year.  I have even had the dry needling done for trigger points.  The neuro docs say it is  not bad enough for surgery so they have suggested lyrica or Elavil.  I have taken both before and I felt lyrica worked better.  I know it is not good to take anything that effects our cns but I need help.  I have been told taking nsaids on a daily basis is not good either plus they upset my stomach.  My pharmacist says that lyrica would be better over nsaids or Elavil. The pain and muscle spasms cause my anxiety to sky rocket.   Any suggestions?

Edited by Petunia
moved and added note

[Limbrel (flavocoxid)] It is for osteoarthritis and inflammation.  I took it back in the spring and summer when I was on lyrica and Effexor and did fine with it...didn't notice an improvement but no harm either.  I haven't been on any psych meds since late September and have been having problems with arthritis the past couple of weeks and decided to go back on it and my anxiety is through the roof.  I can't say for sure but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.  I googled it and it doesn't list anxiety as a common side effect.  Thanks!

Edited by Altostrata
parenthetical addition

Later....ive had a think and here are some phases, symptoms and time frames to ponder.

Consider :

The curious phase; Symptom (S) thinking ‘Should I really still be taking this drug after 10 years use’ ‘Why do I feel so numb to life’ Lasts until next docs visit.

The I found SA phase; S- Overwhelming thankfulness and relief one is not alone, also a sudden desire to welcome every newbie...with a flood of opinions, Can last a long time and may become  an addiction...after 5 years im still in it. Hoping to taper sometime soon.

oh yeah one more ...The i'm getting on with my life phase ; S- forgetting to check in to sa because i have a life to live  ...hopefully kicks in sooner rather than later.

There are heaps more but this is just a couple that came to mind!

nz11---that is hilarious! (in a morbiddy way). That should be a sticky somewhere? I think I'll copy it to my thread.

downtongirl--sorry you are having such a difficult time now. I can't believe a doctor said you'll never be med free after all this time. What a dreadful, pessimistic thing to say. I've been drugged for all my adult life (34 years) but thankfully no one has said anything like that to me. They have encouraged me to stay on meds though "such a small dose, you could take this forever...." and I'd like to bat all of them upside the head for that. Best wishes and I hope you can successfully get drug free!

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Downton Girl,

I'm just pasting your post.  It will get more notice in your own topic.

Hello!  I have a bad neck.  I have bone spurs and some slight cervical stenosis which causes pain on top of having tmj.  I have been going to a chiropractor, massage therapist, and physical therapist for over a year.  I have even had the dry needling done for trigger points.  The neuro docs say it is  not bad enough for surgery so they have suggested lyrica or Elavil.  I have taken both before and I felt lyrica worked better.  I know it is not good to take anything that effects our cns but I need help.  I have been told taking nsaids on a daily basis is not good either plus they upset my stomach.  My pharmacist says that lyrica would be better over nsaids or Elavil. The pain and muscle spasms cause my anxiety to sky rocket.   Any suggestions?

CC

My pharmacist says that lyrica would be better over nsaids or Elavil.

I dont know a lot about this but what i have found out leaves me outraged with every rock i turn over as i was hoodwinked into swallowing this kind of stuff (ads) for  a sore hand assured safe and not addictive. (Funny how the doctor seemed to overlook the idea of just not using a computer keyboard for awhile ...i guess prescribing bonuses can do that to a person)

What i do know is there has been a growing push to treat pain with non opioid drugs such as moodstabilizers (like pregabalin/lyrica...an antiepileptic ) or antidepressants (like...anything the doctor fancies and can get away with ... take your pick...besides elavil is an antipsychotic !!...don't touch it !).

What i believe is pushing this off label-use is pharma greed. The drag net of psychiatric entrapment ever increasing.

21 studies used to justify the use of lyrica for pain management has been discredited. Researcher Scott Reuben in one of the largest cases of academic fraud [see DOJ 1.3 billion criminal case settlement 2009 both involved neurontin and lyrica]   in history "concocted data for 21 studies " related to lyrica for pain management as reported in the New York Times.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-medical-madoff-anesthestesiologist-faked-data/

These drugs are well known for causing an emotional numbness without any specific pain relief and actually inducing apathy and depression.

Whitaker talks about long term use of psychotropic drugs  leading to a deterioration of quality of life.

Were you told that Lyrica/pregabalin causes dizziness sedation and ataxia carrying the same suicidal warnings and medication guide warnings about overall mental deterioration that are required of all antidepressants and antiepileptics.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5234-jancarol-reboxetine-first-then-lithium/?p=67515

NSAIDS for example are inflammation causing in the long run!

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/81-☼-squirrels-story/?p=1580

It appears an occasional nsaid is not a problem....check this one

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4073-finn-hello/?p=69510

In conclusion i disagree with the pharmacist.

Recovering paxil addict

• Mentor

I have cervical spinal stenosis and lumbar spinal stenosis, I take celebrex. it's an NSAID but it's one of those cox-2 inhibitors that does not (seem to?) have as many gastro symptoms, the pharmacist said its' better for your stomach then ibuprofen, for example

I was given lyrica and that made me suicidal- yeh, what fun

and cymbalta, I don't recall what the side effects were, but I didn't take more than a few doses of either of those- (oops, i'm sorry I see you said elavil, not cymbalta

really, elavil? for pain? that stuff is vile if you ask me. back before SSRIs' etc, I was on elavil and the side effects were horrible, not to mention I dont recall it helping me at all.)

there are topical gels that might help, also physical therapy was a huge help to me (I go about once a year for about 8 weeks, they do a lot of pain relief stuff there)

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

I would say yes its possible yes. I had a massive wave after a bath

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Probably dehydrated. You need to drink a lot of water afterwards considering your body releasing toxins when you get a massage.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

Probably dehydrated. You need to drink a lot of water afterwards considering your body releasing toxins when you get a massage.

Your bod releases toxins after a massage? I have never heard this. Is this actual proven science?

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand massages to be activating.  That's why your stomach gurgles during a massage.  Things are being stimulated.  So in w/d this can sometimes be too much for us.  I recall someone asking this in another thread lately - so you aren't the only one.  It seems totally backwards, I know (although that's a good way to tell it's a w/d problem :P). 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

It seems like anything stimulating or relaxing could possibly trigger a wave. T. V, music, people talking, sexual actives, exercise, massage. Most of us our hyper sensitive at the moment. I have found footsoaks Okay but baths not okay. Maybe a short massage would be beneficial like 15 minutes. Where as a longer one is too stimulating.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Your bod releases toxins after a massage? I have never heard this. Is this actual proven science?

Myth: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/ask-well-massage-and-toxins/

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Yes! I believe our muscles release lactic acid during or after a massage, which is why they tell you to drink a lot of water. It can give you a headache at the least, if you don't drink enough water to dilute the acid. I personally get a massage once a month - now - but in severe withdrawal, I did not get massages because I was concerned that they would be too stimulating. I was already experiencing that with everything else - supplements, vitamins, OTC meds, even just sugar, definitely caffeine and alcohol! But that was almost 10 months ago, I started massages again after I started feeling much, much better about 4 months ago. You can read my thread if you like. Hang in there!!

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Ok please help I can not take this any longer the insomnia, body shakes, heart palpitations, and anxiety is too much at three months off all meds is it too late to reinstate or give a new antidepressant a try