Mccauley

Mccauley

• Moderator Emeritus

Mccauley -- if your symptoms have shown up, why not just hold where you are? It appears that your last dose reduction was August 1.  It could be that your previous cuts are catching up with you.

You're taking Lyrica (pregabalin) for fibro pain.  Are those the symptoms that have arisen in the last week?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mccauley

• KarenB

• Fresh

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of pain and fatigue depression and strange thoughts.

I have been on anti depressants since I was 19. I started with Elavil I think. Been through a lot of them but never noticed a withdrawal until I tried to get off Effexor. I cannot remember a lot of things. In 2012 I think I was put on cymbalta and had the textbook horrible withdrawal from it when it stopped working in 2013. It was a year long ordeal,

2014 cymbalta wothdrawal <br />Currently on Wellbutrin 300 xl<br />Lyrica Was 50 x2<br />Doctors office called it in as 150.mg. x2<br />trying to get bck to 50 x2<br />And/or/maybe off<br /><br />

My goal now is to lower my dosage back to 100 mg a day, or try to get rid of it altogether. So far not its happening.

1/29/16 return to 300 my Lyrica. 12/1/16 tense and twitchy but still Functioning. Had 15 min period of unbalance.

Target date for sliding into B.M. Is Monday February 29, 2016. Didn't make that one

March 18,2016. Att to delete 5% from my 300 mg. difficulty measuring a 5% drop. Poss 6% or so.going to stay here for a while. Symptoms increasing last few days. Pain,fatigue,headache,twitching,weight gain,hair loss.

March 26, 2016. 10% decrease approx. high BP, vertigo,twitching,feel high.

March 26, 2016 350 mg Day 13 I have worked through most symptoms until now. Headache has overtaken me and I am too weak to get up today. Upped dosage to 280 and. Added 20 at night. Previous symptoms never abated. Fatigue not bearable 12/1/16 dosage now. At 290mgs. All my records do not make sense. December 2016 gave up returned to 300

Weaned down to 290 mgs symptoms returned. February. 20 again returned to 300 mgs.

Some energy returned and I'm functioning but zombie like with cognitive problems.

Decided to quit trying to quit. Be surprised if I have any cns left with what I have done to it.

July 2017 started splitting dosage of two, 200 mgs lyrica.  Taking one pill then waiting one hour for the other.  Aiming for ten hours between dosage then decrease from there.  Presently at eight hours October 2017 between doses with tolerable side effects.  

I didn't read your post correctly. Yes from fibro and earlier injuries. Symotoms coming on for last two weeks just worse this week.

I'm really torn between continuing and taking the dose the doctor suggested. Do you think the pain could even out if I remain at this dose for a while ?

I have been on anti depressants since I was 19. I started with Elavil I think. Been through a lot of them but never noticed a withdrawal until I tried to get off Effexor. I cannot remember a lot of things. In 2012 I think I was put on cymbalta and had the textbook horrible withdrawal from it when it stopped working in 2013. It was a year long ordeal,

2014 cymbalta wothdrawal <br />Currently on Wellbutrin 300 xl<br />Lyrica Was 50 x2<br />Doctors office called it in as 150.mg. x2<br />trying to get bck to 50 x2<br />And/or/maybe off<br /><br />

My goal now is to lower my dosage back to 100 mg a day, or try to get rid of it altogether. So far not its happening.

1/29/16 return to 300 my Lyrica. 12/1/16 tense and twitchy but still Functioning. Had 15 min period of unbalance.

Target date for sliding into B.M. Is Monday February 29, 2016. Didn't make that one

March 18,2016. Att to delete 5% from my 300 mg. difficulty measuring a 5% drop. Poss 6% or so.going to stay here for a while. Symptoms increasing last few days. Pain,fatigue,headache,twitching,weight gain,hair loss.

March 26, 2016 350 mg Day 13 I have worked through most symptoms until now. Headache has overtaken me and I am too weak to get up today. Upped dosage to 280 and. Added 20 at night. Previous symptoms never abated. Fatigue not bearable 12/1/16 dosage now. At 290mgs. All my records do not make sense. December 2016 gave up returned to 300

Weaned down to 290 mgs symptoms returned. February. 20 again returned to 300 mgs.

Some energy returned and I'm functioning but zombie like with cognitive problems.

Decided to quit trying to quit. Be surprised if I have any cns left with what I have done to it.

July 2017 started splitting dosage of two, 200 mgs lyrica.  Taking one pill then waiting one hour for the other.  Aiming for ten hours between dosage then decrease from there.  Presently at eight hours October 2017 between doses with tolerable side effects.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Mccauley - It depends.  I'm going to ask other moderators to have a look and offer suggestions for you to consider.

If you want to find the minimum effective dose, in your shoes I would increase dose gradually. Since your symptoms showed up 2 weeks after your last dose cut, the first step would be to increase to the previous dose for at least a week while observing, recording, and rating symptoms. If no improvement, increase again by 10-20% for a week or more.  At some point

If you want to address the pain quickly, start taking the doctor's prescribed dose or increase in larger steps to that amount.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you so much for your response. I do want to add that my aim was to get back to my 100 mg dose that I was doing well on before he made an error in the prescription.

Now I'm not sure that dose will help me even if I can reach it. It has taken me almost seven months to get down 50 mgs I am frustrated but don't want to go backwards if not necessary.

Do I make any sense

• Administrator

Mccauley, do your symptoms follow any daily pattern? Please keep notes on paper, along with when you take your drugs and their dosages.

Did you add any other drugs in the last few months?

How often do you take Lyrica now?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

i take the Lyrica once in the am. The pain is more pronounced at night, as is my thinking. I have the checklist printed out for withdrawal symptoms but mostly just use it to see if my newer problems are on there (Latest being pretty extreme sweats and nausea). Taking advice, I did up my dose yesterday by 25 mgs. Don't know if that is too fast. It helped a lot with pain but not nausea.

Maybe level off here for a while ?

Trying to be patient. I was given Clonidine for spikes in my BP while in this withdrawal but rarely need to use it. That would be my only new drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

Mccauley -- notes from throughout the day for a few days will help us understand what's going on more than an overview recollection. It's so easy to forget.

Here's an example of roughly what we're looking for:

7 am:  wake up, anxiety and allover aches

8am: breakfast and morning doses -- 150 mg Lamictal

11 am: pain continues, nausea and sweating arise lasting until noon,

1 pm: lunch

5 pm: dinner

7 pm: anxiety increases to 8/10,

9 pm: evening doses -- 150 mg Lamictal

11 pm: bedtime, mild nausea

For a few days, hold steady with your current dose and transfer your notes to a post here.

In the meantime, you may find some helpful ideas in this topic:

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey McCauley - 

I just wanted to let you know a friend of mine is on Lyrica.

She is prescribed 75 in am and 75 in PM, but she cannot take the AM dose in the AM or she falls asleep on the job.

So she normally take the 2 x 75 mg at night.

Since she was doing this, she thought she would save money (we get charged by the pill, here in Australia) and take just 1 x 150 mg at night.

Both were name brand drugs.

But when she switched to the 1 x 150 instead of the 2 x 75, there was not as much enteric coating on the tablet (more surface area on 2 tablets than one), and she got very sick for about 5 days, adjusting to the new dose.  She did fine.  (and she is not ready to taper yet!  What's it going to be like when she does?)

I just wanted to let you know that the tiniest thing can make a difference.  This was the first time that I heard of someone taking the same dose, but in one tablet instead of 2, and having a reaction.

I've heard of reactions from switching name brand to generic, or to a different brand of generic, or switching from tablets to liquid (if you ever do go to liquid, it's a good idea to keep the first dose of liquid the same, so that you adjust to the way it is metabolised differently in your body)

It does get better, it seems to be getting better for you - I think a long hold is in order until you build up stability and confidence to try again, a much smaller taper, or, even just the switch to liquid.

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey McCauley - 

I was just looking over my notes, and I saw where you are taking Claratin-D?

Are you addicted to it?  (I am addicted to antihistamines, but the sudafed in there is addicting, too)

I know it is time released, and difficult to taper, but the D in the Claratin is Sudafed, or pseudoephedrine, or speed. 120 mg, which is like 2-4 cups of coffee!   Yes, it does improve vasodilation, and breathing difficulties, but it will also be activating and damaging to sleep.

If you are still on it, I suggest switching to regular Claritin (without the D) and buy generic sudafed, and taper down from it.  See if you can eliminate it before trying to reduce the Lyrica again.

I still occasionally take a sudafed to breathe, but I take one of the tiny ones - 30 mg, and divide it into 4.  so 7.5 mg at a time.  I probably only take 45 mg a month maximum this way.  

If you are taking Claratin-D every day, compare 45 mg a month (my maximum amount) to 3600 mg per month (daily Claratin-D). 

That's a lot of stimulant to eliminate from your use.

There are lots of sinus alternatives, saline sprays, aromatic inhalers, steam with Vicks.  I used to put Tiger Balm (white, not red) on either side of my nose to keep my sinuses clear.

Look out, some of the sprays are addictive, too, and cause rebound sinusitus!   These addictive / rebound ones are the bromide based sprays, and the steroid sprays -  I can't remember the American brands - like Afrin?  Atrovent?  (oh, I see that Afrin is phenylephrine - also a stimulant!)

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

5 am awake

6 am breakfast

7 am exhausted (in bed)

8 am nauseous sweats Lyrica 259 WB 300

12 noon still in bed pain starts sweats

130 energy level improving

4 pm hit a wall

7 am awake

8 am breakfast, Lyica 250 Wellbutrin 300

Pain minimal Energy level medium :)

Craving and eating sweets

Sweats continue

5:30 pm dinner

6 pm 3 ibuprofen

Night sweating

7 am awake 250 Lyrica Wellbutrin 300

Low energy

NO sweats

7 pm sweating returns over eating, binging improved

6 am awake breakfast lyrica 250 Wellbutrin 300 Claritin D

Long drive to Dallas and back

Pain and low energy

7 pm back to bed

6 am awake Lyrica 250 Wellbutrin 300 Claratin D

Work. Exhaustion. Sweats return

6 pm bed

(Unsure if you wanted my other meds on there Scallywag)

Jancarol. I believe you are correct about the different meds! Mine are in capsule form and all mgs are different color capsules. I switched from the 150s to 50s and now 200s. Also meds have come from two different sources. Think it has thrown me off. I have looked for liquid Lyrica but think the U.S doesn't have it. Sweats are a new symotom to me, but I think I am leveling off some.

Now the Claratin D. The sudafed is what I was going for. I need it when I have to drive a long way or function in public. I don't take it every day. If I don't take it for a while I get migraines and have trouble with breathing. I will try your suggestion and see how that works for me.

Thank you both

• Moderator Emeritus

McCauley -- please let us know when you took your other medications. Thanks.

I'm assuming that the first day you've noted above where you've entered "L 259, WB 300," L = Lyrica WB = Wellbutrin and that you intended to enter 250 mg as the Lyrica dose.  Is that correct?

scallywag's Introduction

• Administrator

Lyrica has a short half-life. It sounds to me like you might need split dosing as a morning dose wears off in the evening.

If I were you, I'd move that new 25mg Lyrica you recently added to the evening. Keep notes about your symptom pattern etc.

When you start tapering Lyrica again, consider tapering the morning dose only.

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

The sudafed is what I was going for. I need it when I have to drive a long way or function in public. 

Yeah, and they ask for your first-born child when you try to buy plain sudafed, too.  This is true in the US, and it's even worse in Australia, where - it is available OTC, but they want to see that you have doctor's note/prescription before giving it to you.  Many shops won't even stock it because of burglaries by meth-heads.

Anyhow, if it's not for your sinuses, and it's only for the stimulant - why not use Bulletproof Coffee?

How they make it, and why:

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

Of course, they want to sell you their brand stuff, like their MCT oil and their "special coffee"

How I make it:

1 cup "clean" (fair trade organic) coffee

1/2 pat grass fed butter (Aldi Organic butter is fine, doesn't have to be "Kerrygold"

1/2 tsp coconut oil

(sweeten to taste - I still haven't eliminated sugar from my coffee!)

The coconut oil is actually a more complete nutrient than the MCT oil.  Brain food!  The grass fed butter contains vitamin K.  I also think that they use too much oil/fat - almost 1/8 cup of fat per day, if you have a Bulletproof daily.

You can blend this in the blender, or I just stir it in.  It took me awhile to get used to the mouth feel of it.  But I've come to appreciate it more as I've reduced my dairy.  Almond milk just isn't as "nice" as full cream milk or half&half.   But with this small amount of fat, you change the way the coffee is burned in your system.

I've learned too, to buy a more intense bean, so that the flavour cuts through the fat and becomes quite a pleasurable cuppa.  Of course, restaurants think I'm mad for asking for a pat of butter with my coffee, but that's their problem!

It becomes a smooth curve, instead of a spike.  The stimulant effect gradually ramps up.  If you are used to getting "high" on stimulants, it may seem too subtle at first.  But the important thing about bulletproof style coffee, is the way you come down from it, which is a gentle descent, instead of a spiky "crash."  (energy drinks with their Taurine and high sugar content and double/triple/quadruple caffeine - are famous for this crash, and are not good for people in withdrawal!)

I know that the Lyrica is sedating, and you may feel like you "need" a stimulant at times, but I would challenge that.  (sorry, I'm obligated.  I know people don't always like my "challenges!")

As you get more stable, you should need less intervention to keep a stable, productive mood.

Ok. I'm working on all this.

Scallywag yes I did mean 250 mgs. Typo sorry. And yes on the abbreviations.

Alostrata I am going to ask the doctor to refill the 50 mgs I had asked for. That will make the 25 mgs easier for me to figure out accurately.

jancarol. I really do have sinus and allergy problems. I don't that all the time though. I'm going to try the sudafe deal.

Ok. The coffee, I live in the sticks. I did find organic butter but I'll have to get to the city for the organic coffee and the press. It sounded pretty good for a Minute there until your description :/. You think I could do it without the coconut oil ? Hate hate hate coconut in any form. Even the slightest hint of it hate hate hate.

Cannot figure out copy and paste on the iPad. Still trying.

Save | New list My Drug List

clonidine View all drug interactions for clonidine

ranitidine View all drug interactions for ranitidine

Advil (ibuprofen) View all drug interactions for Advil

Calcium Magnesium Potassium (multivitamin with minerals) View all drug interactions for Calcium Magnesium Potassium

Hair, Skin & Nails (biotin) View all drug interactions for Hair, Skin & Nails

Lyrica (pregabalin) View all drug interactions for Lyrica

Omega-3 (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids) View all drug interactions for Omega-3

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) View all drug interactions for Vitamin D3

Vytorin (ezetimibe / simvastatin) View all drug interactions for Vytorin

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) View all drug interactions for Wellbutrin XL

Interactions between your selected drugs

Moderate

clonidine bupropion

Applies to: clonidine, Wellbutrin XL (bupropion)

CloNIDine and buPROPion may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

clonidine pregabalin

Applies to: clonidine, Lyrica (pregabalin)

Using cloNIDine together with pregabalin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Minor

ibuprofen ranitidine

Applies to: Advil (ibuprofen), ranitidine

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.

For clinical details see professional interaction data.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.

Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Added one. Breo

Last night after an incident regarding a "conscious uncoupling" ha ha with my daughter (I don't know I else to say this) I was sent into a spiral from which I have not recovered. I forgot to take my night time dose of Lyrica and now still crying and depressed. I wrote her one of those I'll -never-give-her-this letters and that eased my depression for a while but it is back with a vengeance today.

I really think I was doing so much better on the 50 mg pills he had given me earlier. Everything has gone to hell since I have been trying to split the 200 mg ones he gave me this time. I have to assume he has no idea how damn suicidal and miserable I am now that he has decided to ruin my life.

I want to give up this un doable task. Two steps forward and five million back. Nine months now...nine months to get down fifty mgs only to have to add about 25 more. I wish I could spew the profanity welling up here. I'm furious and defeated.

And I'm drinking coffee with organic butter in it.

Please ignore this earlier rant. I can find no edit or delete button on these posts. You have given me plenty of tools and information to

Take care of myself. Thank you and if I write again I I'll let it sit for a day or two before I enter it. Apologies.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for letting us know that you've worked it out for yourself or are in the process. :)

scallywag's Introduction

• 5 months later...

I have quit trying to quit. I was all over the place with the tapering. Don't know why I CANNOT get that done right. I have notes everywhere but the dates don't make sense and of course I don't remember. I am getting up and have more energy, though drunk feeling and have trouble with tasks like putting on a sweater. It was inside out so I thought and I couldn't figure out how to do the sleeves. It ended up on me backwards and inside out. I took it off and tried with another one and had the same problems.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mccauley,

Thank you for posting an update.

You haven't failed.  Now isn't the right time.  It's not never.  You can always try again later.

I'm sure that you aren't the only one that has problems doing things.  I've had problems putting clothes on too.  I've had trouble doing other things as well, where something that I have done in the past I just look at it and my brain just can't make the connection of what I need to do.  Members have shared their stories here:  You know you are in withdrawal when ...  Edit:  I've just been to this topic and found a few of your posts there already!

It's good to hear that you have more energy.  That is something that I am still lacking.

Take care.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

I'm back.

My incredible husband passed away last month. I was holding his hand and singing him hymns when he left me.

Our doctor offered me depro to help me out. I'm wondering if I took this for a short while would I be facing another withdrawal like the lyrics. Thoughts ?

You will definitely be facing withdrawal if it's been hard before it could be worse if you start again. I'm so sorry for the loss of your hubby. I lost mine to cancer in October so I know how it feels . You will get over your loss and you are far stronger than you think. GOD BLESS

Oh lord. I meant to say deplin. Do you know if there is wothdrawal from that ?

And thank you.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if lyrica could cause this ?  It's a report from my head CT.  I understand it is connected to memory and Alz.  

IMG_2737.PNG

Does anyone know:if lyrica can cause this ?  It’s a report from my head C.T. scan.  I understand it has to switch memory and Alz

IMG_2737.PNG.0679f99c01f85c4cb751bdb09c6

• 3 months later...

Could someone point me to the long list of withdrawal symptoms ?  I had several copies printed out but am unable to find them.  

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks you :)