SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Rain: dropped dose of lexapro

Rain

Can any one please help me! I have been on Lexapro for 1.5years 10mg since i switched from Zoloft 100mg. It was working good for my anxiety and running thoughts, only little trouble with hard to get to sleep at night. However, after tress of my work, i feel little worrying feeling and doctor straight away put me on 20mg of Lexapro. I felt heart palpitation when wake up and didn't care of it, and my heart started to beating faster and faster during the 7 weeks, went to 125 bpm for whole day! That was worse than my original Anxiety symptoms! Also i experienced some bowel movement, no appetite but with happy feelings sometimes.  I don't even know what happened to me! I after couple research on the web I noticed it is quite simular to Serotonin Syndrome, but i don't know I am right or not, anyone can tell me? 

Then i went to see doctor, he wants me to reduce dosage to 10mg, right after 2 days, that feeling was awful! Now it has been 2.5 month after i dropped back to 10mg, for the first month i went back to 10mg, the racing heart was slowly calms down to 68bpm but still feel very strange and anxiety. The second month palpitation feeling was totally gone but still have anxiety feeling and stomach starts to feeling nausia, full and indigestive that makes me more anxious I was worrying my stomach too much now. I went to see doctor, he gave me a medicine call Nexium, I only took for one day and felt extremely nausea and vomitted once then I stopped taking that. I am still not well now and do anyone think i am still suffering from a kind of withdrawal syndrome? I am so worrying and don't know if the symptom will still exists or I should keep waiting till its getting stabilized? I contacted my doctor again he said he might give me some add on medicines, but I don't really want to take additional medicine to cause new symptoms. I have lost my job and I really want this feeling go away soon...

Edited by ChessieCat
tags added SW/CC removed formatting

2006 October Zoloft 50mg for anxiety.

2013 March Lexapro 10mg for 18 months to 2015 September.

2015 September increased to 20mg for 7 weeks but getting worse. 3rd November dropped back to 10mg

2016 11th November taper to 9mg

2017 3rd March Taper to 8.8mg, then Fast taper start: 10th-8.6mg, 12th-8.2mg, 17th-8.0mg, 22rd-7.7mg, 27th-7.4mg.

April 2nd- 6.9mg (WD start), 19th-6.5mg. Failed one day Cymbalta trial, took back Lexapro, much worse Akathisia torture. Keep holding. 

May 22nd- 6.3mg, June 10th- 5.7mg, Nov- 4.4mg, Dec- 4.3mg,

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rain

• Frogie

• Mort81

• Cipramillion

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rain , welcome from another Aussie (there are lots of us here).  I'm so glad you found this site.

Is this a summary of where you're at?

- was taking zoloft 100mg

- switched to lexapro for 18 months , 10mg

- increased to 20mg for 7 weeks , increased anxiety , heart palpitations , high blood pressure

- dropped back to 10mg , symptoms began to settle within first month

- second month , heart and blood pressure more normal , digestive problems worse

- bad reaction to nexium , took just one dose

- now it's 2 1/2 months since going back to 10mg

Please could you have a go at filling in your signature.  Instructions are here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I'm certain that you are still suffering protracted withdrawal syndrome.  

Your brain became very used to the zoloft , then lexapro , over the years.    You had an adverse reaction when the dose was doubled to 20mg.   Then it was like another assault going back down to 10mg in one go.  Your poor brain is doing the best it can to stabilize.

Many people find it can take months to stabilize , but they see improvements over time.

Like with the nexium , there is a risk trying to find new drugs to speed this process up.

It might be helpful to try updosing slightly , I'm thinking maybe 2mg.

Some of the more experienced moderators will offer suggestions over the next 24 hours.

If you click FOLLOW at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts here.

Good to have you on board.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hey Rain welcome!  I am glad you decided to sign up.  This is the best place for all your questions. Im stitch on medchat and Mort in these parts of town. Lots of people with tons of firsthand experience with these meds 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Hi Fresh:

Many thanks! I am so happy to join this big family! 

was taking zoloft 50mg for 6.5years, up to 100mg 1year

- switched to lexapro for 18 months , 10mg

- increased to 20mg for 7 weeks , increased anxiety , heart palpitations 125bpm , high blood pressure, sleeping disturbance

- dropped back to 10mg , heart palpitations 125bpm began to settle within first month

- second month , heart and blood pressure more normal , digestive problems worse

- bad reaction to nexium , took just one dose 

- now it's 2 1/2 months since going back to 10mg

2015 September increased to 20mg for 7 weeks but getting worse. 3rd November dropped back to 10mg

2017 3rd March Taper to 8.8mg, then Fast taper start: 10th-8.6mg, 12th-8.2mg, 17th-8.0mg, 22rd-7.7mg, 27th-7.4mg.

April 2nd- 6.9mg (WD start), 19th-6.5mg. Failed one day Cymbalta trial, took back Lexapro, much worse Akathisia torture. Keep holding. 

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

Hey Rain welcome!  I am glad you decided to sign up.  This is the best place for all your questions. Im stitch on medchat and Mort in these parts of town. Lots of people with tons of firsthand experience with these meds 

hello Stitch!!! Good to see you again! I found this forum by your suggestion, this is a big family!  :D

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:09 PM

how about If I just switch to a new medicine? the withdrawal symptoms are awful and I couldn't bear it. I dropped down the dosage because of the bad high dosage side effects made me more anxiety and now I felt even worse by the withdrawal symptoms.

2007 zoloft 50mg for 6.5years, up to 100mg 1year

2013 lexapro 10mg for 18 months

increased to 20mg for 7 weeks 

dropped back to 10mg

(Moved from Tapering section)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rain,

I'm glad you found us and I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well since making changes to your medications.

We are primarily a support site to help people safely taper off their psychiatric drugs, in a way that avoids the risk of withdrawal symptoms. Its difficult to say if what you are experiencing is withdrawal, or the result of an adverse effect from a too high dose of lexapro, or just too many changes.

Adding new drugs to suppress the side effects of current drugs is not a good idea, people can easily end up on a cocktail of several drugs and still be feeling unwell.

Are you wanting to taper off your medication eventually? There are healthier ways to deal with worry and anxiety, have you ever had any counseling?

I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. In my opinion they  should only be used for short times and very cautiously, if at all.

If you let us know what you want to do, we will have a better idea how to help.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

hi petunia, thanks for your answer, I haven't done any counseling but i am willing to do so! I found my thinking is too negative and enlarge the bad things actually they are not as bad as I think. 

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Why did you switch from Zoloft to Lexapro after 6.5 years?  Did the Zoloft poop out on you?  I wouldn't go on any "add on" medicines, this will just give you more drugs to deal with, including side effects and eventual dependence issues and so on.  If you've had some improvements over the past couple of months, you might get more if you hang in on your current dose for a while longer.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't done any counseling but i am willing to do so! I found my thinking is too negative and enlarge the bad things actually they are not as bad as I think. 

These kinds of thought based worries are best dealt with through a kind of therapy called cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT for short. Most counselors have training in this, but you could get started right away if you wanted to, have a look through this topic:

Free online Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons

Also have a look through this topic:  The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

As Songbird suggested, if you can tolerate the symptoms you are having at the moment, they will settle down eventually, then when you are feeling more stable and have learned some new tools for dealing with worrying thoughts, we can help you taper safely off your medication in a way that will minimize the risk of withdrawal symptoms.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Why did you switch from Zoloft to Lexapro after 6.5 years?  Did the Zoloft poop out on you?  I wouldn't go on any "add on" medicines, this will just give you more drugs to deal with, including side effects and eventual dependence issues and so on.  If you've had some improvements over the past couple of months, you might get more if you hang in on your current dose for a while longer.

hi song bird, the Zoloft, after I had once food poison, I start to feel nausea and indigestive after taking Zoloft and when the stomach start to indigestive, I start to have anxiety again. So doctor tried to switch Lexapro for me, and Lexapro works good for me at that time, oh i remember: when I start to take lexapro 10mg, I started heart palpatation a little bit and hard to get to sleep at night. 

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

I haven't done any counseling but i am willing to do so! I found my thinking is too negative and enlarge the bad things actually they are not as bad as I think. 

These kinds of thought based worries are best dealt with through a kind of therapy called cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT for short. Most counselors have training in this, but you could get started right away if you wanted to, have a look through this topic:

Free online Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons

Also have a look through this topic:  The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

As Songbird suggested, if you can tolerate the symptoms you are having at the moment, they will settle down eventually, then when you are feeling more stable and have learned some new tools for dealing with worrying thoughts, we can help you taper safely off your medication in a way that will minimize the risk of withdrawal symptoms.

petunia, many thanks for your suggestions! I will do that lesson once i feel better. Now My symptoms seems uncontrollable and changable, and I don't believe that is my original symptoms, they are 3X times stronger than the original feeling... Thats why I feel really bad...

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

As I have adverse side effects when I was on 20mg, I dropped to 10mg straight away. So my purpose of tapering is different from others. At this stage, I just want myself to back to normal, is that possible to stop lexapro cold turkey and switch to another new SSRi drug? Will that lead to a worse withdrawal symptom of lexapro? 

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Rain,

Here are a few thoughts on your situation.  It would seem from your history that you have a doctor who is very content providing you with a pharmaceutical solution for every little problem you present to him.  Have a little tummy ache -- take some Nexium.  A little more anxious -- let's up your antidepressant.  The problem with that approach is that it views the human body like a car.  If your carburetor is dirty we can clean it out and it will run fine.  The human body and especially the mind/body/emotional system is not nearly that simple.  Could you switch to another SSRI and get relief -- perhaps?  Will it be likely to be a problem for you somewhere down the road, be that 6 months, a year, 2 years -- my guess would be yes.  The better approach would be, as Petunia and Fresh have suggested, that you work on other ways to deal with stress and anxiety. 

The list of things that comes to mind includes:

• exercise
  • yoga
  • meditation
  • mindfulness
  • cognitive therapy
  • journaling
  • visualization
  • guided imagery
  • deep breathing exercises
  • qi gong
  • tai chi
  • essential oils (lavender, frankincense, etc. are good for anxiety)
  • supplements (magnesium and fish oil are very helpful)
  • cleaning the diet (avoiding processed foods mostly)

There are others but this is a pretty good list to start with.  While your goal is to "return to normal" which is something we ALL can relate to, returning to normal with the knowledge that it is not likely to be a long-term fix, and is certainly not a permanent fix, is less than optimal in my view.  You have an opportunity to heal your problem for the long term by coming up with coping mechanisms that work for you to deal with the challenges that present themselves in life for all people.

If I were you, and we are all different and have the personal freedom to make our own choices, I would be looking not at finding the "right" amount of Lexapro or Zoloft or some other SSRI, rather I would be looking to stabilize and then taper off the medicine very, very slowly so that you are not dependent on it for the long term.

Having said that, it might make sense for you to consider an updose to 12.5mg of Lexapro to find stability at a point above where you are but well below the 20mg that made you uncomfortable.

I would also consider a doctor who looked at you more holistically rather than like something that was just driven off the lot.

But that's me.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Administrator

Welcome, Rain.

As this is a peer support site for going off drugs, we can't advise you about switching to another drug. We don't know what will make you feel better.

It sounds like you had a fairly severe adverse reaction to 20mg Lexapro, a kind of mild serotonin syndrome. Lexapro is a very strong antidepressant. It could be that the adverse reaction sensitized your nervous system and digestion, and all serotonergics will tend to give you difficulties from now on.

It sounds like you may still be having an adverse reaction to 10mg Lexapro. Once your nervous system is sensitized, even dosages that were comfortable before may not be comfortable. It may be difficult to find "normal" on the drug. It could be that even 10mg is too much for you now.

What is your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take Lexapro? Are you taking any other drugs?

I agree with apace, if I were you, I would learn non-drug methods to deal with whatever psychological problems you had when going on antidepressants.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi spase! Many thanks for your suggestion! I will try to do that!

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

Dear altostrata, thanks for your suggestion! But it sounds very scary for me! So that means i will be sensitized to any other antidepressants? So what you suggest me to do with the lexapro now? And today I started to feel heart palpitation again when wake up. My chest is tight too...

From last month, I found the bad feeling starts to coming in waves, it was like I suddenly feel not good for today but after that I get better and after 4-5days repeat again... This month, i feel it is getting worse... The pattern is like all the day, sometimes morning is better, and at night i usually starts to feel bad and then the second day i starts to feeling bad.It is quite different from my original symptoms. I remember, when i was first on lexapro 10mg i started to have little heart beating problem too, and when i was on 20mg, i can feel after taking it for 30mins i started to have heart palpitation and after about 4.5 hours it settles down a bit. 

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

Altostrata, and I don't take any other medicines. Lexapro only now

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

I feel extremely anxiety and whole body feels nervous for whole day today! I did some excerse today and it made me feeling worse, why is that!!! Please anyone can help me will that become better? whats going on with me?

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

• Administrator

It's very common for withdrawal symptoms to come in waves just as you've described.

What time of day do you take 10mg Lexapro? Do you feel better or worse before you take it? How do you feel after you take it?

Is your heart rate normal now?

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi,

Your symptoms surely sound like they are due to Lexapro withdrawal due to the drop from 20 to 10 mg.

Chest tightness, heart palpitations, unusual anxiety/akathisia, GI problems are a signature Lexapro WD reaction, I went through it myself.

From other stories on here, it seems difficult to stabilize on Lexapro once we become sensitized to it.  

I suppose you can try to stabilize on the current dose of 10 mg, and then do a long slow taper from 10 mg to get off this drug.

The main thing right now is that you should know Lexapro is the culprit causing you these problems, for sure. 

Doctors don't like to admit that these drugs cause these classic withdrawal symptoms, and want to switch you to another one of these SSRIs, not a good path to go down.

You may want to seriously consider moving AWAY from using SSRIs at this point.

You may find another one that "works" for you for awhile, but if that goes bad on you, then you will just be adding to the neurological damage that Lexapro has already caused you. This is the tough choice you have to make at this juncture.

It is tough work to get off these SSRIs, we are all here working very hard at getting through this protracted SSRI WD. 

But the body does heal from this - it just takes time, patience, and hard work.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

hi altostrata: thanks for your reply! My sleep was very poor and irregular this week, on monday and tuesday I was only slept 2.5 hours per night and wednesday i slept about 6hours, and today i have just woke up which was a 11 hours sleeping, it is 3:20pm now in Australia. I was woke up several times during this sleeping due to stomach nausea(I took Centrum Vitamin pill last night and starts to feel like this). also heart beating during i wake up, it is fast but not too hard so I can get to sleep again. I found my heart rate is slower than yesterday, it is 84bpm now instead of 100bpm yesterday. the anxiety feeling was little bit less than yesterday too! The day before yesterday, I went to see Psychologist for my first time in my life, after he asked me some personal history I felt nervous and extremely anxious, which lead me to have tight chest and sweating all the body. I think there was a relationship between I started heart beating fast since yesterday morning.

I usually take Lexapro after I had first meal, it depends on when I wake up... and this week as sleeping was irregular I took it about 11am 8am 10am 12am  3:30pm in the past 5 days. After I took Lexapro I sometimes felt slight happy feeling but most of the times I just starts to feel nervous and heart beating a little. 

I am always thinking Lexapro is not quite suitable for me because when I start to take it at the first time I felt it is affected to my sleep( hard to get into sleep and wake up during the night), and heart was beating slightly fast too, after about 3 months, I was sent to ER by doctor due to my heart beat rhythm was not normal, they did nothing to me and after 3weeks the symptom was disappeared. 

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

Hello Clearday: many thanks for your suggestion! as you said it is very hard to stabilize on Lexapro when we have sensitized on it, so what we should do is only wait? Will the stabilize happen for sure? I feel so bad on extremely anxiety now and for the first two months when dropped off to 10mg it wasn't that bad but body symptoms are bad at that time. They always come in a wave and bad times are more than good times, I have anxiety attacks at the begining of this month and after 2 weeks I have got current one, it gave me a harder time. I don't know If I will get better from this wave, it seems to be endless and hopeless.

I am worrying about my poor brain now, do you think neurological damage can be fixed by our brain? If i switch to a new SSRi completely, will that possible work on me? Thanks! 

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rain ,

This jumps out to me as a big red flag:  

"I usually take Lexapro after I had first meal, it depends on when I wake up... and this week as sleeping was irregular I took it about 11am 8am 10am 12am  3:30pm in the past 5 days."

It's very important to take lexapro at the same time each day.  Varying the time between 8am and 3:30pm keeps your system in a constant state of flux.  You might be surprised how much things even out once you change this one small thing.

I was doing that a long time ago with effexor , and was keeping myself in a constant state of withdrawal.
If I missed my am dose and went to work , I'd start having zaps mid-morning.
No one had told me that consistent timing made such a difference.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hey Rain so sorry it hasn't stabilized yet. My worry about you starting a new SSRI is that you will get even more withdrawal from the Lexapro and than start up symptoms from the new one. I personally believe you will stabilize at some point soon. But see what the others say. I know when I first started Lexapro every time I increased the dose I had the same symptoms as you. It took me 3 months to stabilize on 20mg. But I have to admit that I took a small dose of a benzo to cope. However I was already on the benzo so I wasn't introducing it for the first time. I don't know if a little benzo would be a good idea though because they present problems. Have you tried L-theanine or Epson salts foot soak or bath? Even Lemon balm tea?

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Hi Rain ,

This jumps out to me as a big red flag:  

"I usually take Lexapro after I had first meal, it depends on when I wake up... and this week as sleeping was irregular I took it about 11am 8am 10am 12am  3:30pm in the past 5 days."

It's very important to take lexapro at the same time each day.  Varying the time between 8am and 3:30pm keeps your system in a constant state of flux.  You might be surprised how much things even out once you change this one small thing.

I was doing that a long time ago with effexor , and was keeping myself in a constant state of withdrawal.
If I missed my am dose and went to work , I'd start having zaps mid-morning.
No one had told me that consistent timing made such a difference.

wow! thanks Fresh! that is a very important suggestion to me! Maybe that's the reason why I feel extremely not stable for this month! Now i think my sleeping is getting little better, i will try to adjust the time i take lexapro!

Cheers mate!!!

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

Thats true Fresh makes a good point. That could be causing alot of your anxiety. Your body is a bit all over the place getting the drug at different times

Hey Rain so sorry it hasn't stabilized yet. My worry about you starting a new SSRI is that you will get even more withdrawal from the Lexapro and than start up symptoms from the new one. I personally believe you will stabilize at some point soon. But see what the others say. I know when I first started Lexapro every time I increased the dose I had the same symptoms as you. It took me 3 months to stabilize on 20mg. But I have to admit that I took a small dose of a benzo to cope. However I was already on the benzo so I wasn't introducing it for the first time. I don't know if a little benzo would be a good idea though because they present problems. Have you tried L-theanine or Epson salts foot soak or bath? Even Lemon balm tea?

hello stitch: thanks for your suggestion, so did you experience extreme heart beating up to 125bpm? I was so so scared about it, and with no any appetite and huge anxiety, vibration of whole body, at that time I was thinking this medicine is not for me... 

Do you believe that I am suffering from mild Serotonin Syndrome at that moment? I am really confused at that time... 

I haven't tried L-theanine or Epson salts foot soak or bath Even Lemon balm tea, how is that?

I forgot to tell you, I went to see a psychologist the day before yesterday, this is the first time I went to a psychologist, however, I was too anxious and upset when he asked me a lot about my past history, pressure that i had... do you have any experience on that? 

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

I find the Epson salts foot soak relaxing Epson salts which is magnesium is calming for the whole body . The bath was a little too relaxing for me but could work for you. Lemon balm tea is calming and also good for your stomach. Tastes pretty good to me as well. L-theanine was too strong for me but stopped my anxiety . I should have taken a smaller dose for anxiety. We always recommend just trying a small dose of any supplements because everybody is ultra sensitive in WD.

And ya my heart rate was through the roof when I started these meds back some 8 yrs ago. I couldn't go out, sleep or do anything. It took 3 months I do remember that for it to go away. I always felt like my heart was skipping beats. I would roll around in bed. It was bad. However maybe if you take the med at the same time it will really settle you down. I think it will take more than a day though. Maybe 3 or 4 days taking it at the same time.

Yes I have plenty of experience with psychologists/psychiatrists and doctors during withdrawal. I was very vulnerable and its easily understandable why you are aswell. Our bodies and minds are being assaulted by drugs and all we want to do is to fix it and fix it fast! . I poured myself out to some of these doctors but they drastically missed the point. It was awful Rain. I had prescriptions written out for pain, stomach issues and even a few I didn't know what they were. Basically they thought they were treating something other than withdrawal symptoms, its sad and I lost trust early and knew they were useless,uneducated and probably hurting a bunch of other people. However a few months ago I found a Pychologist highly familiar with these drugs. Seeing him was different, he knew what I was dealing with. He knew all my symptoms. However hes not the consoling type that makes you feel really good. Hes the type that will go to bat for you though and he sent my GP a letter with a diagnosis and to stop treating me like a head case Its scary out there rain. For the people who don't know what's happening to them they could be medicated close to death. My experiences with doctors is traumatizing for me.

One thing I can say though is if you do find someone who will just listen and be supportive than it will be very helpful. However its very hard to find these caring and knowledgeable doctors.

wow, I definitely will try your suggestions, stitch! Lemon Balm seems the best choice for me, haha! I will change a psychologist for sure because he didn't even want to say calm down to me ...  My GP doctor seems to be the same as yours, so he prescribed me 2 new drugs, one is for heart beating and the other one is for stopping stomach nausea. I bought it but didn't take it, I don't think they are good to me at all. He is bit strange when i asked him about the Lexapro dosage. Of course he said this is not the withdrawal syndrome, but it is just not stable for me. 

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

I feel bad today again, my stomach is nausea, it is so sentive to the food, my heart is beating fast again......what can i do? Still waiting? Or Lexapro will never stablize on me?

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

Ya so sorry rain, keep taking it at the same time each day. Give it a few days of the taking it at the same time. Also try buying some raw ginger, it helps the stomach. With me my stomach is so much worse with my first few meals, I can barely eat. Its just a wave its gonna pass

Do you notice your gut any better before you sleep?

Do you notice your gut any better before you sleep?

hi stitch: many thanks, today I feel my chest is tight and throught is tight, but anxiety feeling was not that bad, i may take a walk outside now. Stitch, if i ate late, i will feel full but usually, it is works little better than in the morning.

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

Hey Rain I just took a walk. It feels about -15 here in Toronto! Walks have become one of my most enjoyable things to do. Only about 15 min though. Im chewing on ginger as I type this. I'm a bit nautious as well and full, my gut is pretty sensitive too. But the same happened yesterday but sometime in the evening I was able to enjoy a full meal withom only slight discomfort. Our bodies are trying really hard to balance out and the gut gets so disrupted. I know it feels like forever but I think you will stabilize soon.

Hey Rain I just took a walk. It feels about -15 here in Toronto! Walks have become one of my most enjoyable things to do. Only about 15 min though. Im chewing on ginger as I type this. I'm a bit nautious as well and full, my gut is pretty sensitive too. But the same happened yesterday but sometime in the evening I was able to enjoy a full meal withom only slight discomfort. Our bodies are trying really hard to balance out and the gut gets so disrupted. I know it feels like forever but I think you will stabilize soon.

thanks a lot Stitch for encourage me! I feel relaxed to hear about that! someone suggests me to take magnesium tablets, do you think that helps our sensitive nerves? 

2018 Jan- 4.1mg