SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

• Moderator Emeritus

Non drug technique for the day:  Drink a cup of ice water.

Pour the ice into the glass.  Hear the sound of the ice.

Pour filtered water over it, and again, hear it move the ice, and feel the glass get cold as it fills will cool liquid.

Lift the glass to your lips.

Sip.

Swallow.

Repeat as needed.

The swallowing actually switches your brain from a place of "need" to a place of "satisfaction," and is good for quelling symptoms and cravings.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

And from this topic:  help-for-feelings-of-depressiondoom-gloom

LOOK UP - Shift where eyes are looking to something at a higher elevation

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I like that one, Chessie!

More Non-Drug techniques from my thread:

1.  Putting on lotion.  This is a simple soothing thing that I find helps to comfort.  It becomes ritualized, as I've done it all my life.  First my arms, then my feet, then my legs & belly, then finally my hands.

Choose a lotion which smells good to you, which feels good on your skin.  Again, enage as many senses as possible - this will be mostly scent and touch.  As you smooth the lotion over your skin, you can "take stock" of good feelings.  This feels good on my feet.  That feels good on my calves.  If you choose a lotion with mint, it can help cool aching muscles.

2.  Ragas.  Indian classical musicians have designed ragas (musical pieces based on scale & tone) to correlate with the natural cycles of the nervous system.  If you have trouble awakening in the morning, go to YouTube and find a "Morning raga" which pleases you.  If you have trouble winding down at night, choose an "evening raga."  If you get an afternoon slump, find an afternoon one.

I would encourage you, after you have selected your ragas, to stay with the same one for a period of time.  The music is rich and varied, and your body and nervous system will become conditioned to the familiar raga.  Over time, you may find that you can just think of the melody, or the sound of the musical instrument, and it will achieve the desired response.

There are digital channels which will play (for a fee) the right ragas at the right time of day, but this is extreme.  I have a number of CD's and love reaching into them to find the raga for "right now."  The morning raga is my favourite, and I used to awaken to it every day instead of an alarm clock.

3.  An Australian one:  have a cuppa tea! (may also have deep roots in the UK, China, and India!)  When I first moved to Australia, it seemed that the first answer for any trauma was to put the kettle on.  It was an appropriate, soothing response to share a cuppa tea with someone who loves you.  This seems to apply equally to car accidents, natural disasters, exploding relationships, and skinned knees.  I see this as a caring community response - to offer a cuppa.

I don't always have someone to share a cuppa with, so I often will do it for myself.  Maybe it won't be a black tea, but a green one.  Maybe it will be an herbal tea or a Tulsi.  

The actual plant doesn't matter.  The ritual of putting the kettle on, preparing the teabags (or pot, or balls), pouring the steaming water over, dunking the tea, watching the colour spread into the hot water, waiting (waiting!) for it to be the strength you like, adding any extras like sweet or lemon or milk, smelling the aroma of the steaming cup, tasting it, feeling it soothe your vagus nerve as you drink it.

Like with the cool water sips, the act of swallowing communicates to your body that you are getting a need met, and it can quiet a demanding nervous system.

Tea as a practice, can be very healing.

I can't emphasize enough that - you are in the thrashing throes of akathisia, and you will believe that a cuppa tea won't make a difference.

But it is the small things, the insignificant things, which make living worthwhile.

If you make that cuppa tea, and it didn't work - guess what - time has passed and you've survived another 5-20 minutes of hardship.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Non Drug techniques:

1.  Worry dolls.

You know, they are a favourite "cheap souvenir" from Central and South America - a tiny box with tiny little dolls in colorful clothing.

There is significant wisdom in the worry dolls, limited only by your imagination.  Some anti-anxiety CBT recommends that you dedicate 5 min a day to "worry" and then put it away, well the dolls give you a physical symbol of that.

It's simple.  You don't have anyone who understands you.  Maybe the yellow doll understands why you feel so helpless, but the red doll understands when you get angry, and the blue doll listens to you when you are crying.  Talk to the little dolls.  

Say it out loud, if you can, or whisper it to them:  "I'm afraid that...."  "that is making me tense...." "s/he is giving me a hard time" or even "nobody understands."  Whisper it to the dolls, and then close them up in their box.

The subconscious can then work on solutions - if you want to imagine, the dolls talking together to solve your problems, while you get on with your life.

I saw a Chinese set of Worry Dolls yesterday, and I'd never seen Chinese ones before.  They were beautiful, a set of 4 in an ornate carved little black box.

This could also work with regular dolls or stuffed animals - just to get it out - but there is something special about closing the box on your troubles when you are done.  I suppose a box of stones might work, too.

2.  Affirmation Altoids.  So you gave your troubles to the trouble dolls.  Now it's time to do something positive.

I love my cinnamon altoids.  To mix it up, I put in a box of peppermint ones.  Just to challenge my senses.

Hold the altoid in your hand, accept the stress you are facing, and say, "I got this," as you pop the altoid in your mouth. 

Repeat the positive affirmation for as long as the altoid is in your mouth, and then when it is gone, let go.

Letting go of an affirmation is an essential part of making them work.  It gives your subconscious time to latch onto the idea and warm to it, and accept it, and even work towards bringing you closer to your positive goal.

• Moderator Emeritus

From:  https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/12/tai-chi-potential-treatment-vets-ptsd/

Tai Chi, a traditional Chinese form of exercise which consists of slow, gentle movements and deep breathing, has been found to be beneficial in the treatment of sleep issuesdepression, and chronic pain. These slow, deliberate movements coupled with mindful breathing, the researchers hypothesize, could positively impact the hyperarousal symptoms related to PTSD. For this study, the researchers aimed to examine participant reactions, as well as the characteristics, adherence, adverse events, and satisfaction in regards the Tai Chi intervention.

Reference:  Niles, B. L., Mori, D. L., Polizzi, C. P., Kaiser, A. P., Ledoux, A. M., Wang, C., & Li, B. M. D. (2016). Feasibility, qualitative findings and satisfaction of a brief Tai Chi mind–body programme for veterans with post-traumatic stress symptoms. BMJ Open6(11), e012464. (Full Text)

• Moderator Emeritus

More Non-Drug Techniques:

3.  Body Brushing:

Wet or dry.

Get a sisal body brush with a long handle.  

Dry brushing is a detox protocol, so not for someone who is having intense withdrawal symptoms - but can be helpful for mood adjustment.  It's actually been beneficial for my niacin flushes, and sometimes I run the brush over my back before going to back at night.

There are dry brushing fanatics who insist that you would never need to bathe if you dry brushed your skin regularly and properly (and probably slather it in coconut oil afterwards).

Wet brushing is just good hygiene, making sure you clean and exfoliate - especially places you can't easily reach (I have more of those now than I did 20 years ago!).  A wet brush can be softer than sisal.  Some people like using a loofah-on-a-stick, but I prefer a good, firm sisal brush.

Afterwards, you feel clean and lightly stimulated.

Bonus:  

4.  Vagus Workout:

1.  The simplest vagus workout is when you are alone in the car, to turn up the music and sing along at the top of your lungs.  Sing so loudly that you are nearly breathless!  Try to sing well, to match the notes, or sing your heart out - feeling every word as you sing.  My favorite song for this is REM's "Losing My Religion," it seems to capture emotion and challenges my breathing at the same time.  (silly me, I have lots of songs I try and do this to, but my voice has been surgically altered, and I can't sing like I want to).
  2. The next level:  I discovered this in the gym:  singing and walking.  I was on the treadmill, and nobody was around.  I had earphones in, and the music was so good I had to sing.  It boosted my workout, and I had to be able to walk and sing at the same time, challenging my cardio and my brain while massaging my vagus nerve at the same time!  This could work with circuit training, weightlifting, or even walks around the neighborhood!  It's great for challenging that "crazy lady" syndrome - heck yes, I'm Mad and Proud!  
  3. The ultimate level:   Chanting and yoga.  I haven't tried this one yet, I am often breathless in yoga.  Plus, I can't do it in class, I will have to try it at home.  The basic "Om" instead of exhaling, while holding a pose.  I've been wanting to develop my own vagus chants based on the tones and notes of the chakras - but that is still a work in progress (and I don't know how to turn on the keyboard yet to find the right notes!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

LOL LL!  I don't need to use a timer, my brain just "switches off" and I know it's time to do something else for awhile.

I'm constantly switching tasks to ensure that I'm interested in all of them.  It means my house is a mess, I have projects scattered everywhere - but - I am engaged with my life!

Non-Drug Techniques for the Day:

1.  Burden Basket - another version of the "worry doll" technique.  But this is one to be kind to your neighbors, to your home.

I gained this technique from Lakota and Cherokee practice as expounded in the book, "Sacred Path Cards,"  by Jamie Sams

When you go to visit another, there will be a basket by the door.  Before you step across the threshhold, take your problems, your worries, your stresses, and leave them in the basket by the door.  This way, you do not burden your friends and loved ones with your problems.  They will be there for you to take up when you leave.

Likewise, if you keep a burden basket outside your own home (this is especially beneficial for working people), as you pass the basket, you shed the work stress, the awful boss or coworker, the angry client, the traffic, the commute, and the difficulty you had at the shops.  Leave them in the burden basket, they will be there for you when you leave again, and you can take them up as you go into battle again.

This keeps your home a sanctuary, a safe place.

2.  Brush your Teeth.

Oh I struggle with this one.  I think this is a hallmark of those of us who have struggled with mental, emotional & chronic physical problems.  Nobody really sees your teeth, right?  You're not going out or anywhere, right?  

It's a 2-3 minute ritual that you can really use to improve your health.

I used to postulate (before I learned how damaging the drugs were) that the connection between cardiovascular problems and "mental illness" was brushing the teeth.  Poorly maintained teeth lead to more than just bad gums and breath - they can damage your heart, too.  And your digestion.  Everything you take in comes through your mouth.  The first place of purity should be (notice I say "should," because I still struggle with this!) your mouth.

I still don't do it daily, but when I can maintain a practice of teeth brushing, my digestion is better.  My bruxism is better (I'm more likely to wear my splint when my teeth are clean), and I believe I lose a little weight.  

I also scrape my tongue, a la yogic cleansing, as part of my teeth brushing routine.  It's gross - but - better out than in!

• 3 months later...

These are all really great tips, emerging!

Though it is kind of hard to get hugs during the work day... But my wife and daughter load me up with hugs before I leave in the morning.

Still, I do wish there was a magic "anti-cortisol pill."

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

• Moderator Emeritus

The Speakmans are a couple in the UK who are therapists and have amazing results. I have seen them live and watched them on tv. Their therapy is simple and effective for fears, phobias, anxiety and PTSD.  My only reservation is that they claim to have helped people to get off the drugs that peple have needed to get through their anxieties. I have no idea how they do this but intend to email them to see how they taper.  

Take a look at their youtube channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/nikandevaspeakman/videos

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I know this doesn't help with tapering or symptoms but i think this man [Eckhart Tolle] is a genius at explaining and understanding human suffering .It's really helped me understand my history and emotional pain

Edited by Altostrata
merged, added info

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

NON DRUG TECHNIQUE:  AFFIRMATION ALTOIDS

Addendum:

Cinnamon Altoids - my favorite.  A sharp spike to the taste buds, and a soothing, yet stimulating feeling.  It seems to enliven thought, and helps with sugar cravings.

Peppermint Altoids - awesome.  Cooling, intense.  Also very good for thinking.

Ginger Altoids - okay, these weren't "Altoids," but Paul Newman's.  It was weird.  It doesn't feel like a lolly - feels a bit like medicine.  I can feel it heat up my digestion, and seems to help things work better in the belly.  But it is not the mental (peppermint) or emotional (cinnamon) rush that I get from the Altoids.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Free online course on anxiety and panic attacks.  7 modules and no drug recommendations, worth looking at for dealing with panic when off the drugs. 

http://www.panic-attacks.co.uk/course/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 1 month later...

I don't want to reinvent the wheel with this recommendation, but I suggest 
DOING CROSSWORDS

I find it really rewarding and makes me focus for a while, especially when I am feeling bad. Guessing some difficult clues gives enjoyment. And once you start, it is like a drug, but a positive one. 

I must have read into some mindfulness book (or maybe it is just what pretty much what every MF book says), that one can not experience depression while being curious. I think this can suit well crosswords, jigsaw puzzles, board games and quizzes. 

November 2014 - September 2015: Zoloft 50 mg, Trilafon 4mg, clonazepam 1mg
October 2015 - September 2016: Effexor 75 mg
September 2016 - January 2017: Effexor 150 mg
Stopped Effexor in March 2017 after tapering under medical supervision
The doctor I've now found is an expert in withdrawal from ADs
Persistent withdrawal syndrome since July 2017: Prozac 10 mg, clonazepam 0.5 mg, to cope with it.
December 2017 -  withdrawing from Prozac, 10 mg every 2 days
Drug free since January (?) 2018

Symptoms: pins and needles, burning skin sensations, PSSD, OCD, mood swings (a lot), malaise (a lot), muscle spasms, voice in my conscience. 

Doing not so bad, but I want to be the person I was. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Crosswords are a good suggestion.  However, I have found that during withdrawal there have been times where I haven't been able to do word puzzles yet I can do a number puzzle like sudoku.  I'm a jigsaw puzzle lover but haven't been able to do them recently.  My brain just couldn't turn the pieces around in my mind like they usually can.

I think doing things which use the brain does help as long as we don't over stress the brain.  For people who can't do crosswords, find a word puzzles might be an alternative.

I noticed that recently I have begun singing out loud again, but this was something that I haven't done for a long while.  I just didn't have the mental energy to do it.  Same with laughing.  During the process of lowering my dose I have gone from not finding things funny, to thinking that something is funny, then added a very small smile but couldn't laugh, then a small laugh and now I laugh out loud.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi. I wanted to share something very simple. I see some people have similar advice, like pottery and gardening.

Something that has helped me is to work with stuff that require attention to detail. It calms me down a lot, and my mind is not wandering off in the same way. For example I sat and decorated a glass jar for about 3 hours without problem, because it was an escape for me I think. Same with puzzles in the beginning of my withdrawal like someone else mentioned, but not anymore. I also picked a small part of a certain kind of flower and cleaned them up (took around 2 hours) in case I wanted to make a wine out of it, but when I was done picking and fixing the flowers I was satisfied and the rest (wine-making) felt more like a burden. 

So the very small things that take time, are extremely relaxing for me at least. Just wanted to mention that. And pets of course, like others have mentioned. Pets are invaluable to me. It gives a responsibility and most of all something to care for (which I believe is very important).

2011-2015: Escitalopram (Cipralex) 20 mg, Voxra 300 mg (quit Voxra in late 2015, no issues)

2016: Started tapering Escitalopram 5 mg at a time, every fourth week

July 24th, 2016: Escitalopram 5 mg

April 2nd, 2017: Quit last dosage (WD worsened a lot)

Ca 6 last months of 2017: Taking Diazepam 15-25 mg irregularly, less than once a month

Ca Dec 2017: Out of Diazepam, i.e free from all prescribed drugs

Now: Still drug free

Supplements: Irregular intake of Omega-3, magnesium, vitamin D.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently came across a song that is apparently scientifically proven to reduce anxiety by 65%. It's called "Weightless" and is by a band called Marconi Union. Apparently they were in the charts in 2017 so some of you might already be familiar with it (I only just heard of the song). Whether the track can reduce anxiety caused by withdrawal to such an extent I don't know (maybe the 65% applies to "normal", everyday stress and anxiety experienced by most people). But after having listened to it myself, I have to say that it does seem to have a calming effect. So maybe it'd be worth a try for those having trouble with symptoms of stress and anxiety caused by withdrawal.

Here's the original (8 minute) version from youtube:

There's also a 30 minute and a 10 hour version on Youtube.

30 minute version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYoqCJNPxv4

10 hour version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYnA9wWFHLI

And here are some links to articles in which it's mentioned that the effect of the track is scientifically proven:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanpassman/2016/11/23/the-worlds-most-relaxing-song/#47b2703d2053

https://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/neuroscience-says-listening-to-this-one-song-reduces-anxiety-by-up-to-65-percent.html

(Note: The second article also contains a list of other songs (with links) that apparently have a similar effect and which therefore might also be worth a try)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've also found useful when it comes to music is tracks containing binaural beats and/or isochronic tones. One of the best tracks of this kind that I've used (and continue to use) that helps me get to sleep, for example, is a track called "Peaceful Ocean" by Project Meditation, which is part of their "Sleep Easy Solution" package, which contains a couple of different tracks and can be found on their website (simple google search).

Unfortunately, it's not available for free (which is why I can't provide a link to the track itself) and costs just under $100. Personally, I think it's worth the investment, though, if you happen to have the cash to spare (and no, I'm not affiliated with "Project Meditation" in any way and have nothing to gain financially by mentioning it).

They also offer a whole program called "Life Flow", by the way, which basically consists of tracks using certain binaural beats and isochronic tones that are apparently specifically designed to enhance meditation (ten one-hour discs in total). I purchased the program myself years ago (i.e. while going through acute cold turkey withdrawal) but found it very difficult to meditate, which is why I never used it much. And although the tracks themselves seem to be relatively decent (that is with regard to their quality), I personally think they're way overpriced (the whole system costs about $700, which is about two or three times more than it should cost, in my opinion). So beware not to get suckered in by their somewhat aggressive sales/advertising tactics (i.e. the way their website is designed).

Also, you can find relatively decent tracks using the same principles on youtube. Just type in "sleep binaural beats" or "sleep isochronic tones" or something like that in the search bar (the same goes for stress relief and anxiety). But as for the "Sleep Easy Solution" (i.e the "Peaceful Ocean" track I mentioned), I do think it's worth the money. So that might be something to consider.

That being said, I'm going to see what happens after listening to the first track I mentioned above (i.e. "Weightless") regularly. Who knows, maybe it'll help reduce certain symptoms long term and not just temporarily.

Anyway, hope this helps.

No longer a member.

• Mentor

My sister sent me this link, looks like there's a few good tips

Please note, however, that if you have atrial fibrillation, you may not wish to try the face in ice water idea-  there's a type of afib, vagal afib it's called, that can sometimes be converted back to a normal heart beat by putting your face in ice water, but for some of us, like myself, that maneuver could potentially put us INto afib

as with anything you try, keep your own situation in mind and be cautious when trying new things

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/mental-health/body-hacks-to-calm-overwhelming-emotion

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

32 minutes ago, Happy2Heal said:

as with anything you try, keep your own situation in mind and be cautious when trying new things

Thanks, H2H.  Some good ideas there, especially mindfulness and learning to tolerate an uncomfortable emotion--which is where I am right this minute!

xo RM

Alcohol periodic excessive 1963-1976, Valium sporadic 1964-1973,  Imipramine off & on 1982-1985, Fluoxetine 10mg-80 mg. Oct., 1995-Jan., 2014; Cymbalta, other ADs 1/2014-3/2014; Abilify 5 mg. 3/2014 - 8/8/17; Trintellix 20 mg. 3/2014 - 9/2017; Propranolol 60-80 mg. sporadically Sept-Oct, 2017; Seroquel few days Sept 2017 (c/t); Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sept, 2017 updosed to 300 mg. few days till c/t Oct 8, 2017, fish oil, vitD, vitE Oct 16, 2017-pres. Lipoflavonoid 4/2017-pres.  Fluoxetine 10 mg. Sept-Oct 8, 2017, 20 mg. 10/9- 10/15; 10 mg. 10/16 - 12/29;  9 mg. 12/30 - 2/9; 2 mL liquid (8.1mg) 2/10 - 3/7; 1.8 mL (7.29 mg) 3/8 -3/20; 1.6 mL (6.561mg) 3/20-4/2; 1.4 mL (5.9 mg) 4/3-4/14; 1mL (4 mg.) 4/15-4/22; .9mL (3.6mg) 4/23-5/1; .81mL (3.24 mg) 5/2-5/24; .73mL (2.916mg.) 5/25-6/8; .65mL 6/9-6/23; .6mL 6/24-7/17; .58mL 7/18-7/28; .525mL 7/29-8/13; .5 mL 8/14-21; .45mL 8/22-31; .4mL 9/2-21; .35mL 9/22-10/4; .3mL 10/5-28; .25mL 10/28-11/10; .2mL 11/11-11/24; .18mL 11/25-12/3; .1mL 12/4-12/18. Zero-12/19/18-present.

• 2 months later...

For muscle tension/stiffness, consider purchasing a T.E.N.S machine (for example, a Dr. Ho). I find them invaluable for not only relieving muscle tension, but also as an effective distraction from withdrawal-induced anxiety (virtually all of my anxiety comes in the form of burning arm, shoulder and back muscles).

The sensation of electrical stimulation to your body takes some getting used to, but once you get over the 'fear hump', it can be very soothing to both mind and body. I couldn't live without mine.

My previous drug history was confusing, so I deleted it in favour of the following summary, as best I can recall:

2017 - Jun 2019: olanzapine, dose erratic, ranging from 1.25 to 2.5mg per day.

2017 - Jun 2019: klonopin, dose erratic, ranging from 0.0625mg twice a day to 0.25mg twice a day.

2017 - Jun 2019: gabapentin, dose erratic, ranging from 200 to 300mg per day.

Date uncertain: Lamotrigine, small amount for two months, C/T.

Jun 2019: admitted to hospital after months of severe rage (which I am certain was caused by akathesia, but no doctor caught it). Doctors cold-turkeyed all drugs, I submitted to 10 courses of ECT, and was put on 50mg of seroquel at bedtime.

Jul 2019 - Feb 2020: reduced seroquel sporadically from 50mg to 18.75mg.

Apr 19, 2020: Reduced seroquel from 18.75mg to 16.5mg.

I hope I’m not breaking any forum rules by posting these. This guy has become one of my “spiritual guides”. Inspiring...

Depression meds (anti-chronological order)

Currently: Bupropion SR 1x 150 mg/day=> low mood/energy, low sexual drive: currently trying to exercise (swimming) on a regular basis, mild/weak improvements

2008-14 Seroquel 25 mg/day, from 2017 gradually tapered off until stopping autumn 2017=> withdrawal  symptoms: now troubles sleeping (early wakes)

2008-14: Wellbutrin XL (Bupropion) 300 mg/day, switched to Bupropion SR 2x 150 mg/day in 2014. 2016: halved dosage (1x 150 mg/day)=> Sept. 2018: tried to take the 150 mg dose every other day=> energy drained, depression, no sexual drive => restored skipped dose 

2007-14: Sertraline 150 mg/day, from 2014 gradually tapered off until stopping => withdrawal  symptoms: deteriorating mood/energy, ejaculation troubles eventually decreased sexual drive

Before 2007: tried several other medications in different periods, can't even remember the names (Remeron didn't work)

ED meds

2008-present: Cialis 5 mg every other day

• 2 months later...
On 12/27/2015 at 11:59 PM, Happypuppy said:

This exactly. Some of the things I have been forced to think about while tapering, has been what will I do when I'm off antidepressants?  Ok, so I will get down from time to time; it's part of my personality I guess.  What will I do to stop "down" from being "crash landed"?

Two things I am working on is exercise - just moving - and sunlight.  I am pretty lucky in Australia that for much of the year there is an abundance of light.  What I am doing differently now, though, is not hibernating indoors with the blinds drawn - even in the middle of summer.  I need at least 20 - 30 minutes of being outdoors per day.  I have been thinking about getting a light box for winter - my town can get pretty grim and dark in the winter.

Another good one for me is laughter - even hearing other people's contagious laughter will set me off.  Funny vids on Youtube are great.

Also, because deep down I am a bogan (redneck for Americans) when I crank something like "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC my knees start twitching, my feet start tapping, and maybe there's a little air guitar going on ... any music that gets my blood surging, makes me feel good.

Hi Happypuppy!

Just saw you mention funny YouTube videos. I find these very therapeutic as well. Do you have any recommendations for YouTube videos you find very funny?

Thanks!

09/2011- 01/2014: 10mg Cipralex / 02/2014: increased to 15mg Cipralex

02/2014 - 10/2016: 15mg Cipralex / 11/2016: reduced to 12.5mg Cipralex (over 2 weeks)

12/2016: reduced to 10mg Cipralex (over 2 weeks) / 01/2017 - 09/2018: 10mg Cipralex

10/2018 - 11/2018: reduced gradually to 7.5mg Cipralex / 12/2018: found SA & first learned about the 10% taper method

2019: 6.9mg / 2020: 5.1mg (0.064-0.065) 06/01/21/2021: 4.8mg (0.061-0.062) / 06/01/21/2021-04/15/2022: 3.8mg (0.048) /

04/16-07-10/15/2022 : 2.8mg (0.036mg) / 10/15/2022-04/27/2023: 2.4mg (0.031mg) / 04/27/2023-06/05/2023: 2.4mg (0.030mg) / 06/05/2023- 11/04/2023: 1.7mg (0.022mg).

Please Note: I am not a medical professional. Consult a knowledgeable

medical professional when making decisions about your medical care. 

There's an upcoming workshop on Qi Gong for depression: https://www.holdenqigong.com/event/depression-workshop/

Note that you don't have to be available on that day to do it. They post it a few days later and when you've paid for it, you have lifetime access to it. I did the one for emotional balance in Dec and found it to be extremely valuable.

I've also been working with Qi Gong for Anxiety; it's helped a great deal with the stress and anxiety I've been dealing with because of moving: https://www.holdenqigong.com/product/qi-gong-for-anxiety/

Though not many people on here seem interested, I credit qi gong with helping me get off the AD and stay well since then. I don't believe I'd have been able to deal with symptoms without it. Qi gong and meditation are an essential foundation of my daily life.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

one of the first things that offered me any peace at all was meditation... listening to the ocean in a dark room with heat on my spine... brought at state of peace... now they have a study on the affects of mediation on your brain

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-03/muom-nsh032118.php

New study highlights unique state of 'restful alertness' during Transcendental Meditation

fMRI shows increased blood flow to frontal areas of brain and decreased blood flow in pons and cerebellum

MAHARISHI UNIVERSITY OF MANAGEMENT

IMAGE: FMRI IMAGES SHOW SIGNIFICANT AREAS OF ACTIVATION DURING TRANSCENDENTAL MEDITATION COMPARED TO RESTING WITH EYES CLOSED. AREAS OF ACTIVATION (ORANGE) INCLUDED THE ANTERIOR CINGULATE GYRUS AND THE DORSOLATERAL PREFRONTAL CORTEX.... view more 

CREDIT: MAHARISHI UNIVERSITY OF MANAGEMENT

The Transcendental Meditation technique is said to lead to a state of "restful alertness," and now a new study in Brain and Cognitionusing brain-imaging supports the assertion that during the practice one's mind is alert but that both mind and body are in a deep state of rest.

Functional magnetic resonance imagining (fMRI) patterns of 16 subjects during their practice of Transcendental Meditation found that, like meditations that involve focused attention or open monitoring, there was increased activity in the areas of the prefrontal cortex related to attention - indicating alertness. However, unlike other meditations, during Transcendental Meditation there was also decreased activity in the areas related to arousal - indicating deep rest.

"Given the wide variety of meditations that are practiced today, it's important to distinguish among them in order to see the different ways they affect the brain," said Michelle Mahone, lead author. "It makes sense that different approaches to meditation would use the brain in different ways."

A state of restful alertness

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who introduced Transcendental Meditation in the West, taught that TM practice leads to this state of restful alertness. And over the past decades, researchers have sought to verify this claim scientifically.

Early research suggested that Transcendental Meditation practice lowers sympathetic nervous activity, as indicated by a reduction in skin conductance and plasma lactate - two physiological markers of sympathetic functioning - and a decrease in breath rate.

"This reduction in sympathetic activation results from gaining the state of restful alertness during Transcendental Meditation practice," said Fred Travis, a coauthor of the study. "This restful alertness is the key to Transcendental Meditation. It's a very different kind of rest than sleep. It's rejuvenating and healing, as evidenced by a wide range of clinical studies, while at the same time it allows the person to experience deeper mental states - with profound implications, such as an ongoing experience of transcendence."

The restfully alert state gained during Transcendental is more than a concept, Dr. Travis says. "These blood flow patterns give a physiological picture of the reality of restful alertness in the mind and body."

Increased blood flow to prefrontal cortices

The sixteen subjects, who had been practicing Transcendental Meditation an average of 34 years, were each tested as they meditated for 10 minutes while the blood flow in their brain was monitored by an fMRI scan.

Compared to just resting peacefully with their eyes closed, the fMRI scan found an increase in blood flow in the bilateral anterior cingulate gyrus and bilateral dorsolateral prefrontal cortices - areas of the brain's prefrontal cortex associated with attention and executive functions such as decision making, reasoning, working memory, inhibition, and reward anticipation.

Frontal blood flow is also reported during other meditations and indicates that the mind is alert.

Decreased blood flow to pons and cerebellum

However, unlike other meditations, during Transcendental Meditation there was a decrease in blood flow to the pons and cerebellum. The pons modulates the individual's overall state of arousal and governs breath and heart rates. The decrease in activity in this brain area supports the experience during Transcendental Meditation of a deeply silent mind and rested body.

The cerebellum modulates the speed and variability of information processing, both related to coordination and motor control and to cognitive functions such as attention and language. The decrease in activity suggests that the body reverts to a more automatic mode without the need of cognitive effort to exert control.

Together the decrease in activity in the pons and cerebellum activity suggests an overall reduction in cognitive control and executive processing during Transcendental Meditation - as if the attentional system is at a balance point ready to act when needed, Dr. Travis said.

"By using the mind in a specific way, restfulness follows," Dr. Mahone said. "While this may seem contradictory, this finding is compatible with other research supporting that meditation could be key to balancing the autonomic nervous system and improving quality of life."

Natural tendency of the mind

This state of restful alertness is said to result from correct practice of Transcendental Meditation: without effort.

"Transcendental Meditation is effortless because it follows the natural tendency of the mind," Dr. Travis said. "One begins the practice in a simple way, and then it goes automatically, without any analyzing or intention. Maharishi said that it simply follows the natural tendency of the mind to settle down to quieter states if given the opportunity."

###

About the Transcendental Meditation Technique

Transcendental Meditation® is a simple, natural technique practiced 20 minutes twice each day while sitting comfortably with the eyes closed. It is easily learned, and is not a religion, philosophy, or lifestyle. It doesn't involve concentration, control of the mind, contemplation, or monitoring of thoughts or breathing. The practice allows the active thinking mind to settle down to a state of inner calm. For more information visit http://www.tm.org.

"fMRI during Transcendental Meditation practice"

Michelle C. Mahone, Fred Travis, Richard Gevirtz, David Hubbard

Brain and Cognition 123 (2018) 30-33

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

On 1/9/2019 at 11:42 AM, freespirit said:

Though not many people on here seem interested, I credit qi gong with helping me get off the AD and stay well since then. I don't believe I'd have been able to deal with symptoms without it. Qi gong and meditation are an essential foundation of my daily life.

I'm interested, but I feel like I already have more than I can do. I am just working full time and taking care of my dog, but it already feels like too much. I am struggling to fit in cardio and back stretches/exercises every day, both of which I am certain I need.

I did start meditation after reading 10% Happier by Dan Harris - I started at 5 minutes a day and worked up to 10 - but that was last summer. even trying 5 minutes again feels like too much, although I know that's stupid. I spend 5 minutes at least scrolling through facebook, (I had given up facebook at one point and now feel disappointed in myself for being back there.) 

but I will look at the Holden youtube channel and check him out.

thanks to @freespirit and @btdt for the suggestions! 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

working and looking after a dog in wd... hats off to you... already doing plenty.. how about a meditation yep lay down do nothing and listen to this... put some heat on your spine and lay down... :) how it that for doing exercise... sometimes we are doing ENOUGH!!!

LET YOUR BODY HEAL 

OK ONE MORE THING... LOL 

in case you need it 

https://pharmacysolutionsonline.com/drug-induced-nutrient-depletion.php

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

I tried Qi. It made me so tired for about 5 days after that I thought I was going to die from exhaustion. I didn't do it again after that.

Ativan Sept 2016 to February 2017 

Cymbalta 30mg from November 2016, taper started in July 2018. 

Horrible withdrawals from Ativan. Was starting to feel better until I began tapering Cymbalta in July. CNS was still very fragile from benzo WD. Went from Cymbalta 30mg to 20mg in in 2.5 months. Was at 20mg for approx 3 weeks and then went back up to 22.5mg.

Symptoms: intense shaking, heart palpitations, extreme anxiety and rage, depression, sweating, nausea. 

Used to be into fitness but can't workout now until my nervous system calms down. 

On 1/11/2019 at 6:33 AM, Scotteves said:

I tried Qi. It made me so tired for about 5 days after that I thought I was going to die from exhaustion. I didn't do it again after that.

☹️

@btdt  thank you for that link, I find my BP med depletes zinc and I'd never heard that. 

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

On 1/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, Scotteves said:

What kind of Qi Gong did you do and for how long? Like everything in WD, it's important to use practices that are more relaxing--not stimulating. And also, one should start slowly with only doing a few minutes at a time. 

I've only had a negative response once or twice, and that was after practicing for over an hour.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

On 1/11/2019 at 5:56 AM, JackieDecides said:

I'm interested, but I feel like I already have more than I can do. I am just working full time and taking care of my dog, but it already feels like too much. I am struggling to fit in cardio and back stretches/exercises every day, both of which I am certain I need.

I did start meditation after reading 10% Happier by Dan Harris - I started at 5 minutes a day and worked up to 10 - but that was last summer. even trying 5 minutes again feels like too much, although I know that's stupid. I spend 5 minutes at least scrolling through facebook, (I had given up facebook at one point and now feel disappointed in myself for being back there.) 

but I will look at the Holden youtube channel and check him out.

thanks to @freespirit and @btdt for the suggestions! 

I get it about feeling overwhelmed about life and trying to fit in one more thing. I found an attitude adjustment was necessary for me. Sometimes, I resented all the time I was needing to spend on self-care. Then I started to realize how fortunate I was to have things that helped me, that I could rely on. Then, I felt much more gratitude and joy for being able to do them. It stopped feeling like something I "had to" do. Plus, the more benefit I felt, the more inspired I was to continue. Every day, I can hardly wait to meditate and do qi gong. I spend about an hour or so each morning, before I do anything else. It makes my days more energized, happier, calmer, and inspired.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

• 1 month later...

If the emotions come from a 'critical voice' you can pretend the voice is speaking in a silly way, and call it 

a name. This can help you distance yourself from it and take it less seriously.. Realising you are separate from

these thoughts and can choose what to focus on is probably the most helpful think I have found. Plus all the other 

things like yoga / exercise sleep etc. 

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

Start Jan 2019 5mg Fluoxetine mornings. Stopped amitryptilline.

6th Feb 2019 Stopped Fluoxetine, 2 X 425mg St Johns Wort daily. 

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

17th Feb 2019 Started taking single dose 425mg SJW mornings 

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

• Moderator Emeritus
19 minutes ago, Orangeblossom77 said:

If the emotions come from a 'critical voice' you can pretend the voice is speaking in a silly way, and call it 

a name. This can help you distance yourself from it and take it less seriously.. Realising you are separate from

these thoughts and can choose what to focus on is probably the most helpful think I have found. Plus all the other 

things like yoga / exercise sleep etc. 

Great advice. Making the critical voice seem less serious sounds like it could help to detach from it.

2011-2015: Escitalopram (Cipralex) 20 mg, Voxra 300 mg (quit Voxra in late 2015, no issues)

2016: Started tapering Escitalopram 5 mg at a time, every fourth week

July 24th, 2016: Escitalopram 5 mg

April 2nd, 2017: Quit last dosage (WD worsened a lot)

Ca 6 last months of 2017: Taking Diazepam 15-25 mg irregularly, less than once a month

Ca Dec 2017: Out of Diazepam, i.e free from all prescribed drugs

Now: Still drug free

Supplements: Irregular intake of Omega-3, magnesium, vitamin D.

It really is a good idea. 

It's similar to, or maybe better than, the Detachment you should get from the "I notice"statement, where instead of thinking everything is terrible you state "I notice I feel everything is terrible".

I wasn't posting from my phone I could make things clearer, sorry.

• 1 month later...

Walking.

If you are in a place where you can't stop thinking or worrying, try walking at the same time. Even if you are still obsessing about whatever it is in your head, your brain should be in a better position to process the thoughts and feelings. 

I recently came across the below article. EMDR therapy might be too intense for those of us in withdrawal, but anyone can benefit from the idea behind how it works, and that includes walking.

For the most of our existence, us humans would be on the move for the majority of the day rather than just standing or sitting for hours at a time.

So it wouldn't be surprising that this rhythmic left-right movement in walking would be beneficial in other ways than just being "physical exercise" for the body. I assume the movement helps the brain process things, simply because that is part of the environment that it evolved in. Obviously, just walking isn't going to heal major trauma(Nor will the SSRIs...), but it sure is better than being sedentary. Although walking with your tribe while sharing a traumatic experience with a wise, sympathetic member was probably the original EMDR therapy... 

https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/what-do-emdr-running-and-drumming-have-in-common-0901154/amp/

2005-2018: Sertraline 50mg

Jan 2018: Started taper from 50mg

Jun 2018: 25 mg

July 2019: 20 mg. Switched to Microtapering

Spring 2020: Tetanus vaccine and a course of rabies vaccinations. 

July 2020: 16 mg. Hold.

During 2020, I was forced to change manufacturers(of generic Sertraline) 4 times due to supplier issues. I didn't write the dates down. 

1st Oct&4th Oct 2020: IV drip with Metoclopramide, ranitidine, hyoscine butylbromide in hospital

26 October 2020: 17 mg

1Nov: 16mg

On 5/10/2019 at 5:36 AM, SertralineAnxiety said:

it wouldn't be surprising that this rhythmic left-right movement in walking would be beneficial in other ways than just being "physical exercise" for the body.

I believe this is true. Thom Hartmann wrote a book about it called Walking Your Blues Away.

• 4 months later...

Hello

Has anyone considered Tibetan singing bowl therapy to help with WD? I was reading up on Neuroplasticity on the web and it mentions this. I found it on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6QTdvbu0uI 

Prescribed Venlafaxine 150mg ..........

19 Feb 2019 stopped Venlafaxine 150mg cold turkey. 06 March 2019 restarted Ven 125mg. 04 April 2019 9 mini pills. 02 May 2019 8 mini pills. 01July 2019 7 mini pills. 18 Aug 2019 6 mini pills. 24 Sept 2019 5.50 mini pills. 11 October 2019 5 mini pills. 5th May 2020 Reinstated Ven 125 mg XR 9 pills.

9th Nov 2020 Update Started splitting dose to twice per day

02/02/2021 can’t stabilise without symptoms. 
03/02/21 9 mini pills @ 10am 

Updated.... July 2021 108mg, Sept 2021 107mg, 

tapering steps to be updated

current dose 14 July 2023 80mg

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy