If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#73 Lawyerliz

Lawyerliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island Florida.

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:46 AM

I scrape too.

#74 emergingfromhell

emergingfromhell

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationlos angeles

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

Anxiety tips:

1. When panicking, holding ice, getting in a really hot bath, running or doing push ups can be good bc your heart is racing due to a threat it doesn't understand...when you give it a real reason to race and then take it away...your heart feels the threat is removed and will slow down a bit. Plus your mind will focus on that pain instead of on the more painful racing negative thoughts. In some messed up way, it's like a less harmful version of cutting.
2. Lavender oil is very calming, and smell is the only sense with a direct pathway to the amygdala which is the part of your brain associated with mood and emotions. Smells that remind you of happy times work as well. 
3. Warm baths helped me more than anything. Increasing body temperature can help regulate mood. Sometimes, putting cold water on for a little helps as well bc that can help circulation and increase oxygen. Switching back and forth can help with the chills/hot flashes that come with withdrawal.
4. After bath, I put towel down on floor and did some stretches to open chest and hips bc that's where we carry a lot of grief. I recommend making it part of a morning routine.
5. Writing affirmations on paper with a  pencil or pen can be therapeutic. Find words that resonate with you - simple sentences. It sounds silly, but it actually helped. I used "I am safe", "for today, i will stay present with my healing", and "i give myself permission to believe that, regardless of what happens, I am loved."
6. If people are pissing you off, but you know you shouldn't be confrontational in this state, write them letters that you don't send.
7. Fresh air really helps, even if you just open a window.
8. The mornings are the worst bc of Cortisol.
9. Google Alternate Nostril Breathing and do that for longer than feels comfortable. Also, when taking deep breaths, the exhale should be longer than the inhale and is more important, but if you do it for a really long time, make them equal so you don't get light-headed.
10. There's a good mediation app called "Insight Timer" and another called "Calm".
11. I read a book called "Love Warrior" that was a good distraction and very relatable. If you have stress relating to a toxic relationship, "Women Who Love Too Much" is also a great book.
12. Binge on a Netflix series to distract your mind. The Moth app is good for that also if watching is too hard.
13. Hugging or cuddling releases oxytocin and can really calm stress. Massages obviously help a ton as well. 
14. Imagine a happy place in detail - the smells, sounds, textures etc...for a proper amount of time. Get lost there.
15. Talk to yourself and tell yourself the things you wish someone would say to you to calm you down. You'll feel crazy at first, but it helps.
16. People who've had easy experiences don't write on message boards, but there are plenty. So don't get discouraged only reading horror stories on here. They're the worst cases.
17. Reframe the way you view stress: 
and view the symptoms as your body healing itself which is a good thing!
18. Vitamins: B6, B12, D, C, Magnesium, extra EPA Omega 3
19. Focus on today. Making big changes to address the underlying issues that caused the original anxiety and depression are things to consider once you're stable. And whatever in your life is getting messed up bc of the state you're in, focus on fixing those later when you're better as well. Be honest with work, family, friends etc and hope for compassion. In the meantime, think of the next right thing to do and the next breath. One thing at a time, one moment at a time. Everything else will be much less daunting and easier to fix when your biochemistry isn't going haywire...so cut yourself some slack.

#75 ShakeyJerr

ShakeyJerr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:34 AM

These are all really great tips, emerging!

Though it is kind of hard to get hugs during the work day... But my wife and daughter load me up with hugs before I leave in the morning.

Still, I do wish there was a magic "anti-cortisol pill."

SJ

Dates are tentative (my memory is shot)...

Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003 (I don't remember the dosages). Went off but developed symptoms so put back on after 4 months.

Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) some time in 2010 (I think). Did a self-taper during 2016 after losing insurance. Been off since around the beginning of 2017.

Developed Discontinuation Syndrome beginning with uncontrolled/unexplained crying in 02/17.

Moved on to full-blow symptoms from there. Been really bad since late 03/17.

#76 mammaP

mammaP

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,060 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:37 AM

The Speakmans are a couple in the UK who are therapists and have amazing results. I have seen them live and watched them on tv. Their therapy is simple and effective for fears, phobias, anxiety and PTSD.  My only reservation is that they claim to have helped people to get off the drugs that peple have needed to get through their anxieties. I have no idea how they do this but intend to email them to see how they taper.  

Take a look at their youtube channel. 

https://www.youtube....speakman/videos

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

See how to create a signature here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Many drugs for many years, prescribed diazepam first 1973, took occasionally. 3 or 4 tricyclics  for short periods.

1993 had a breakdown leading to 10 years of drug experiments with all classes of psych drugs.

2002  effexor. 

Tapered by counting beads from March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Also tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg -hold- Feb2016 46mg  March 8 2016 45 April 44mg  May 11  43mg June 14 42mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, pro biotic.

My story http://survivinganti...king-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Following every sunset is a brand new day