MichaelMalnutrition: venlafaxine

MichaelMalnutrition

I am on venlafaxine 150 milligrams.

After I eat anything containing proteins or fats, I feel very tired for many hours.

Is there anybody with similar experience of venlafaxine and food "interactions"?

2010  tapered venlafaxine from 225 milligrams to 150 milligrams

2011  tapered mirtazapine from 30 milligrams to 15 milligrams

October 2016: started my second attempt to taper 15 milligrams of mirtazapine

2016-10-15 100%

2016-11-15 90%

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Michael,

I was also on Venlafaxine 150mg.  I didn't notice it in relation to eating fats, but I did start to get extremely exhausted on that drug.  I have since slowly tapered down to 133mg, and the fatigue has lifted a fair amount - though not as much as I'd like.  I'm hoping that as I get to lower doses it will improve more. 

Issues with weight are also common in those taking SSRIs and SNRIs. 

Are you looking for info how how to safely taper?  We have a lot of information here, as well as support for people.

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Michael, welcome to the group.

That's an interesting question. I was looking for some information for you and found a few similar experiences in this thread here: Eating as an activating factor (increasing anxiety or symptoms)

Most people report an increase in anxiety after eating, but a few have noted feeling tired. These are not specific to venlafaxine, but antidepressants and withdrawal in general.

As Karen asked above, are you looking to taper off your medication?

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you all for your replies and especially for the link(s)   :blush:

are you looking to taper off your medication?

I am going to very slowly taper venlafaxine and to slowly taper mirtazapine

We have a lot of information here, as well as support for people.

I know ... I already have 50 highlighted paragraphs from this site in my diigo

2016-10-15 100%

2016-11-15 90%

at some point during my withdrawal I noticed I couldn't eat meat. at all. if I did, I was hit by a wave that lasted several days. and yes, fatigue is one of my main symptoms.

we discussed it with my nutritionist and thought it had something to do with the liver. proteins are quite hard load on liver. I started eating more lightly, more vegetables, and added milk thistle to my regimen. this problem slowly went away. don't know what helped. but as I have read/understood, withdrawal can mess with the liver and how it processes things.

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Moderator Emeritus

50 paragraphs!  Cool :).  It can feel like a lot of info to take in at the start, but gradually it will all start to fall into place.  It's usually best to taper one at a time to avoid confusion about what to do if w/ds cause problems. 

And just in case you didn't see these links: 

Tips for Tapering Venlafaxine

Tips for Tapering Mirtazapine.

Which Drug to Taper First

Please feel free to ask more questions as you go.

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 2 years later...

starting from yesterday, I have to take doxycycline (and I am  deeply dependent on venlafaxine) 

from what  I read, I expect each of them: could make the other one lasting longer(?) in blood

EDIT 1: just now I found 

I will have to read it quicky

?? maybe I will have to lower the dose of Venlafaxine
and after finishing the 14 days of Doxycycline
I will have to raise the dose of Venlafaxine ??

? DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE with:

lowering the dose of an antidepressant during taking antibiotic,

and then raising the dose of the antidepressant  after stopping the antibiotic ?

----

I have no idea: how much to lower and raise
important note: fortunately I am probably NOT a cyp2d6 poor metabolizer

----

I am unsure what to do
I have merely about 5 days and about 20 days to find out

??? should I try tapering day1 -2%,  Day2 -4%,  day3 -8%,  day4 -16%,  until I feel I tapered  too much ???

my  Google searches from recently
----
site:survivingantidepressants.org "traffic jam in the liver" - Hledat Googlem
site:survivingantidepressants.org doxycycline venlafaxine - Google Search

"traffic jam in the liver" - Hledat Googlem
doxycycline venlafaxine - Google Search

site:survivingantidepressants.org doxycycline - Google Search

survivingantidepressants.org lyme disease - Hledat Googlem

site:survivingantidepressants.org interactions
site:survivingantidepressants.org antibiotic  interactions

my future Google searches
----
doxycycline biological  half life
doxycycline p450
doxycycline cyp2D6

2016-10-15 100%

2016-11-15 90%

I APOLOGIZE. Doxycycline actually  COULD *INDUCE* CYP P450.  I Wish I could delete my post. I will have to almost completely rewrite it. Otherwise it could be dangerously misleading.

2016-10-15 100%

2016-11-15 90%

• Altostrata changed the title to MichaelMalnutrition - venlafaxine
  • Administrator

Hi, Michael. I moved your post here.

You may experience odd effects from the combination of doxycycline and venlafaxine. Are you taking doxycycline for serious health reasons?

However, if you change the venlafaxine dosage, you might get withdrawal symptoms from that, too. Please do not change your psychiatric drug dosing.

You might reduce interactions by taking the doxycycline at a different time of day than your psychiatric drugs. What are you taking now, at what times of day, and what dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to MichaelMalnutrition: venlafaxine