SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SkyBlue: Paxil taper

SkyBlue

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh! I forgot the best part. 

I told my provider about the loopiness… and he offered to "give me something" to help with that. Aiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laughed maniacally then left! No, I said "thanks, but no thanks; I know it's temporary." 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone,

I am looking for support today. 

I had several good days. Hopeful! Okay! Then Thursday night I got pulled back like a rubber band, having suicidal thoughts (I took care of myself; reached out etc.) Yesterday was very depressed but was *not* isolating --  I called a friend and I also went to a wonderful geeky yoga class.

I feel like today I'm kind of coming out of it. I've done some exercise and going to try to rest (didn't sleep well last night). I could just use some encouraging words from people who know how it feels to think you're doing better, and -- BAM. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

Hello Skyblue,

You got this!! Remember windows and waves, this too shall pass, we just need to continue the fight and conquer, WE CAN DO IT and we will get better! Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

THANK you, Ali!!! :)  Thank you for the encouragement. 

You are most welcome my friend, just roll with it and soon enough it will be a thing of the past, then we celebrate.... WE ARE WARRIORS! ☺️

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

SkyBlue, I'm so happy to hear how you are really looking after yourself.  As Ali4 says - you've got this!

So they have an anti-loopiness drug now?  I could use something like an anti-mum-you're-so-not-funny drug.  (Yes, I have a teenager).  Perhaps an anti-I-need-that-chocolate-now drug. 

Good lord...

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Ali, we will definitely celebrate!

@Karen, thank you. Yes, so many fabulous drugs available for any ailment.  ;)  ;)

Thanks, you guys! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi all,

I need some help today.

I've been having these symptoms: 

* depressed mood, off and on, -- including suicidal thoughts [but I am safe… I have MANY reasons to live]

* anxiety about everything, *(not panic as much as feeling the whole world is so scary)

* and sooooo tired. Sleeping plenty; always needing more. 

My self-care that I'm dong: 

*resting when possible, even though I resist it ("Why do you need more rest?")

* working with an amazing therapist -- she helped 

* exercising but not crazily so

* working with my therapist on self-compassion -- trying to give myself the same compassion/love as I would someone else.

I am scared that I won't get back to normal life. 

I am worried that this is "just how I am." 

Please help. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SkyBlue,

Sorry to read that things are tough at the moment, but really glad that you are asking for help and trying  to look after yourself.  I don't have anything to say that I think might be helpful, but just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you.

Thanks for stopping by and posting on my thread.  I hope things improve very soon.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks very much, Chessie. I appreciate it. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

There's no way it can be 'just how you are' when you've had drugs in your system.  As you work through the healing, and wait for your brain to heal you'll see yourself starting to emerge again.

And I think you'll quite like 'you' :).

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

I am worried that this is "just how I am."

That describes my withdrawal experience in one sentence. And I worry about it (even though I am not in withdrawal, because I am still on several meds...) every single day.

It will get better. I was really suicidal on withdrawal. Like all the time. I thought it would never ever get better but it does in time, (((hugs Sarah))) <3

2011~ lexapro 40-60 mg (mom,why didn't you stop me I was 15..)

2013~ prozac 40mg ,seroquel 25mg (here we go poop-out and merry-go-round!

2014~ paxil 40mg, seroquel 100mg (thanks psych ward for the benzo trial and WD too)

2015~ (worst year of my life):

- basically CT'd from paxil (40 to 20mg in one day,then 10 then 0 in one month total)

and seroquel (cold turkey) in May, horrible withdrawals with every decrease. I said " well Imma ride this out", yeah right.. Two weeks off I couldn't take it anymore.

- Drs. Lab rat( they tried prozac,lexapro,also for a few days cymbalta,venlafaxine,and for anxiety olanzapine and different doses seroquel)

- started wellbutrin (which "cured" my by then 1/2 year withdrawal in a few days,what?)

2016~zoloft 100mg,wellbutrin 300mg,seroquel 50mg

I hope to be med-free one day,I started at such a young age so, Who am I? No idea. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Karen, thank you so much. I remember liking "me" in the past, and your post gives me hope I will again. :) 

Romina, thank you again so much. Your words are so comforting!!!

Just went to my jazzercise class, ate dinner and honestly I think I'm going to bed… at least for a while. (It's 7:25 pm.!!!) Lol

Thank you, amazing friends!!!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Thinking about you and praying for you still.  

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Colonial. Sorry I just saw this now. Hope you are doing well. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone, 

March 18, I did my first ~10% drop. (All my other decreases were pre-SA and were 20% or more). 

I had a few decent/tolerable days in a row (mid-March) and decided to "push on," even though things weren't great. (I now know this is not the way to go. It may have been two months since the last drop, but I can see now my body was telling me it wasn't ready.) 

I made very tiny ~10% drop, going from 1.2 to 1.1 mg.

Ok for several days. 

Then, extreme tiredness. 

-Sleeping 8-9 hours/night and then needing a 2-3 hour nap.

-Cognitive stuff, confusion. (I was hanging up laundry and was like, "How can there be two gray shirts right next to each other???")

-Sleep stuff, waking in middle of night in a rage and feeling suicidal

-Continued (off and on) suicidal ideation. 

-Bad depression: "Nothing good is going to happen in the future."

-Ahedonia (I never realized how scary it is for NOTHING to feel good. I think many people reading this will have gone through this and now I understand.) 

But: Now I've had a good week/10 days! The "real me" is poking through here and there. Going to rest here a while. Not going to do any more drops when I'm having only one good day a week. (Note to self: Sarah---this is a reminder. You will be so much better off, and safer, if you go sooooo slowly.)

Here are some thoughts -- I would love your feedback: 

1. I believe that going from 25mg to 10 mg to 5 mg in four weeks last summer (after 18 years on the stuff) was basically a cold turkey, and it's possible that my my body/brain/CNS are still reeling from that. In addition, before finding SA, I was (unknowingly) doing further too-large decreases through last fall. What do you think?

2. Really? !? !? !? 10% is difficult?!?!?!? You guys, PLEASE. 

{Every single night when I'm loading up the syringe, I'm like, this??? This tiny drop of liquid is what has caused such upheaval? It's the kind of thing that's hard to believe unless you've experienced it.} 

I suppose I should wait a while before doing another decrease (siiiiigh). 

What would you do? I wonder about starting on the Zoloft decreases, 10%. Give my brain a bit of a break from Paxil changes. Thoughts?

Thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

That's a great summary SkyBlue, and I think you know the answers...but don't want to know them ;).  Yes, 10% can be difficult.  Especially at the lower end of a taper.  Or if you are like me, even at the start of a taper.  I'm doing 0.4% drops.  Yes, definitely wait a while before another drop - at least 4 weeks.  And yes, those huge drops were very similar to C/T, and your body will be reeling.

See?  You got all the answers right!!

As to changing which drug you are reducing, the general wisdom here is to keep things simple and do one at at time.  Occasionally, if there are good reasons, a person might lower one drug to a point, then begin to lower another, but it's far easier to make decisions when you're only changing one thing.  

Glad things have been settling lately for you,

Karen 

8 month hold.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SkyBlue,

You seem to be doing really well.  That's great.  And I agree with Karen on the holding and stick to tapering Paxil.

It seems like you might be feeling that you have to be doing something, especially since you are taking such a small dose.  You are doing something by doing nothing.  I realise that sounds crazy but you are allowing your brain the time it needs to recover.  You just can't see it happening at the moment.  Be patient.  You will get there even if it takes a while.  Better to do it with as few withdrawal symptoms as possible than try and race and end up regretting it.

That is just one of the reasons why I think this site's support is so helpful to us.  We sometimes need a voice of reason to remind us of some things.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Sky.  I just wanted to echo what Karen and Chessie have said, in terms of holding for a good period of time. It is the smart and sensible thing to do. I think your assessment of your " too quick taper" is correct. It will serve you to go slow , from hereon in . All the successful tapers here, have been done like  "slow turtles", who listen to their body cues, and act accordingly giving themselves the optimal conditions for living symptom free.

I also agree with tapering one drug at a time.That is a standard recommendation, here. It is not giving your brain a break to switch. In fact it's quite the opposite.

Holding is hard work .   Usually , it is better to do nothing at all, except stick to the plan , and practice extreme self- care in the meantime. Have a read and see what you think .

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

The slowness of slow tapers

You are going well ,

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Slow together! We will beat this!

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Sky. Thanks for posting on my Intro thread today. Wanted to send some healing vibes your way.

Looks like you're getting some really good advice on going slow and careful. I did rapid tapers and cold turkeys all the way through this and if I could do it all over, I would go slow. 

Hang in there. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, lovely people!

Thanks so much, 

KarenB, Chessie, AliG, Jlynn, and Shep!

Thanks for stopping by and for your support.

@KarenB, yay--my answers are right! Lol. I will stick to just tapering (well, holding) Paxil for now. Not doing Zoloft yet.

@Chessie, I like how you say by doing "nothing," I'm doing something, and that is giving myself time to rest and heal. Such a good reminder that it's better to go slowly than to go fast and regret it.

@AliG, thanks for chiming in on holding. You are right -- it is difficult!! And I was actually thinking that switching to Zoloft tapering would be a "break" of sorts. So, nope. Thanks also for the links; I'm checking those out. 

@Jlynn, yes, we will!!!!! :) 

@Shep, thanks for the healing vibes and for your perspective on slooooow tapers. :) 

Thanks you guys!!! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone.

I posted this in the Micro-Taper thread, but wanted to copy/paste here as well, about getting an oral syringe to make even smaller (2.5% instead of 10%) decreases: 

Hi everyone! I got a 0.5 ml oral syringe! 

I called tons of pharmacies near me -- even a vet's office! (They had them, but wouldn't let me buy one!!) No one else had them.

I finally located one at a compounding pharmacy 20 miles from me. They just gave it to me. I was sooo happy and thanked the lady profusely!!! Lol

It's so cute and tiny! It really lets me see the tiny gradations I will need to do 2.5% cuts. 

From what I understand, the 0.5 ml syringes are quite readily available in the UK, but not so much in the U.S. If you are in the U.S. and looking for one, I recommend starting a bit ahead of time before you will need it. It just took me a day but I'm in a large metro area. 

:)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, SkyBlue. I'm glad you got a syringe. They do make it difficult, don't they? 

"Cute and tiny" Lol! sounds like you still have your sense of humor.  Best of luck on your taper. You're going to be fine. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Awww, thanks, Shep. :) Today has been a good day. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone,

I seem to be in a wave again. 

Last week I had some wonderful glimpses of clarity, feeling like myself, feeling very alive. 

Friday was the best.

Saturday I suddenly had a near-panic at a coffee shop. No obvious trigger. 

Difficulty since then, with last night being the worst-- extremely depressed. I feel that it was doubly hard given that I had been feeling so much better. 

Any encouragement appreciated! 

Hi Sky.  I'm sorry that you're in a wave , however that seems to be the nature of this " withdrawal ".  Windows & waves.  The fact that you had a beautiful window , shows that healing is indeed happening !   Try , if you can to hold onto that thought. It will help you through this.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ali, thanks so much for your response. Yes--healing is happening!!!! Thanks again. 

The near panic or panic is the worst. It comes on so out of the blue. I am so sorry you had to deal with that! I am glad you are feeling better after that!

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you jlynn! I really appreciate it!

Yesterday the wave of severe depression seemed to "break" and I started feeling better toward evening. I believe that exercising intensely Mon, Tues and going for a gentle walk Wed helped that along. 

I'm working on "riding it out" vs. getting sooooo scared, "it's back; this is the end; I have no future; everything is horrible." I also get extremely self-critical during those times. "Why can't you just handle this?!?!?" I also isolate. Working on all of that!!!

My acupuncturist recommended I slowly increase magnesium. I had been taking 300mg/night; she said slowly increase but stop if it causes digestion issues--that is the "too much" point. It seemed to really help me sleep well last night. Sleep is everything! 

Thanks again, awesome people!

Hi SkyBlue! Try not to add second fear to what is happening in a wave. It can feel horrible, bit it will pass.

I tend to catastrophize too when in a bad wave. "I will be like this forever, my life is destroyed..." Etc.

What has helped me is writing a journal (I have an app for this) only for me. Sometimes long, sometimes just a few words. It helps me see the change, it always change to the better.

A really anxiety filled morning I happened to find this clip by Eckhart Tolle. It helped me tremendously. It's about fear and anxiety.

https://youtu.be/Ze0-vGa-MQ8

Take care!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi AmyK,

Thanks for stopping by. What a great video. Thanks so much for sharing it. I think it's one I'll come back to again and again.

I like how he talks about the beginning of dis-identification. It's a process! :)

Glad you liked it. Yes, I often go back and watch it.

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

Great post, SkyBlue. You sound like you're in a good place now. I hope it continues.

And that's a great Eckhart Tolle video, Amy. I'm also a huge fan. 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone,

I am not doing well and feel, honestly, just a few steps away from … I don't know what.

I'll update soon with my changes; I've made two 2.5% drops. That is not what is causing this, bc

I've had these thoughts on and off for months. 

Staying safe: communicating with family (scared I'll overwhelm them); writing myself index-card messages

(Sarah, you always get better -- hang on; don't believe everything you think); being in therapy.

But my thoughts are:

"Summer is my favorite time… If I don't even feel well now, what can the future hold?"

"This has gone on too long and there is no hope for the future." 

Encouragement appreciated!!! I'll check back later.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Sarah. 

Those kinds of thoughts are common during withdrawal, so I'm glad you're reaching out for support. How is your sleep? I know my dark thoughts get worse when my sleep is worse. Are you able to keep up your non-drug coping techniques to help? Taking a walk, listening to meditations or music, etc. can sometimes help break those thought patterns. 

Please do update your signature with your recent cuts. Also remind yourself that you are making progress. 

Sending healing vibes your way.