craig...Prozac Taper due to severe dystonia

Craig

I'm very pleased to have found this site.  Looking back over the last 19 years it is incredible how much I see myself in many of the posts on this site. Due to severe dystonia I've reduced Prozac from 40mg to 5mg over the last month and a half since. 

In December I read the book Prozac Backlash (PB) that describes many people that have this "EPS" response and that doctors DONT usually know about it (even though it apparently happened to the first  human given Prozac in the late 70s) , and that people are typically unaware that it is happening unless asked, and also that it gets mistaken for or looks like "worse depression."  

I've felt SO much better since decreasing the dosage that I have hardly noticed anything that even comes close to as bad as having my neck, Jaw and shoulders locked together in dystonia.  In fact it was so bad that I was sent to a neurosurgeon to be evaluated for surgery since my brachial plexus nerve on my right arm was severed by the vertebrae's c4-c5, causing me to lose the majority of my right bicep and triceps permanently I did not notice any negative signs until I started going down below 20mg. 

I did feel beat and tired intermittently, but I have felt like this for the last ten years easy.  I noticed the windows and waves and they have not been too bad.  I have found EMDR therapy to be a godsend and works very good to decrease emotional disturbances (guilt, anxiety anger, resentment etc.)  triggered by thoughts or memories. 

My biggest problem at this point is not having anyone to talk to about this AND the  dismissal I receive from people is very demoralizing.  The windows have been quite nice (almost like reuniting with my old self) but I know I am becoming more and more sensitive.  I'm currently raising my 2.5 yrs daughter and her mother clams up any time I talk about it and is so nonchalant.  I have to beat this for my daughter who is the light of my entire universe  ANY help, encouragement, ideas, conversations or support would be so very helpful.  Thanks!!!  Craig

Edited by KarenB
added paragraph breaks

1996 to Dec 2015 Various SSRIs and what only amounts to living in a nightmare

Dec 15th Began tapering from 40mg Prozac to my current dose today (5mg Prozac)  My body has had a severe reaction to it since about 2003 but I did not realize the Rx was causing it until I read the book Prozac Backlash in Dec and began tapering.  My Parkinsonian Symptoms are going away with the DC of the Prozac and has given me extraordinary relief however I've noticed a few mood swings to say the least.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Craig,

I'm very glad you've found this site when you did.  Quite a journey you've been on with Prozac and then learning about it in that book. 

You've actually tapered very quickly, which can catch up with you after a few months in the form of w/d symptoms.  Are you having any symptoms yet?  Is that what you are referring to when you mention becoming more sensitive? 

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose each month.  And considering that the last part of the taper is usually the trickiest, it's probably a good idea to hold at your current dose for a good month or two before considering further reductions.  This will allow your Central Nervous System time to stabilise.  You can also see Tips for Tapering Prozac.

It's so good to hear you are feeling a lot better after reducing your dose.  I'll bet it brought great relief to you too.  You may like to read the threads in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.  In particular, many people in w/d find magnesium and fish oil helpful.  Keeping things stable is key to tapering safely. 

That's probably plenty for starters.  Have a read around, and if you have any further questions just come back to this thread.  It's good to have you here.

Karen. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you so much for the response and yes I am having my share of "neuro emotions."  It feels like I am intermittently in the throws of a deep PMS for lack of a better way to describe it.  I have been so grateful that i have not had more than mild zaps and it must be due to the fish oil.  I just purchased some Mg Citrate and I hope this will help too.  I have decided to take your advice and hold my current dose in hopes of avoiding a crash later.  Do you have any thoughts on ways I can meet people in my area?  I have left messages in the Texas forum but have not heard a response yet.  Thanks again for the support Karen!

1996 to Dec 2015 Various SSRIs and what only amounts to living in a nightmare

Dec 15th Began tapering from 40mg Prozac to my current dose today (5mg Prozac)  My body has had a severe reaction to it since about 2003 but I did not realize the Rx was causing it until I read the book Prozac Backlash in Dec and began tapering.  My Parkinsonian Symptoms are going away with the DC of the Prozac and has given me extraordinary relief however I've noticed a few mood swings to say the least.

• Administrator

Welcome, Craig.

Very happy to hear the dystonia has eased.

You might find that physical therapy and acupuncuture helps any residual body symptoms.

I agree with KarenB, a nice hold at 5mg is a good idea, let your nervous system settle down from all the changes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps visit the people in the Texas forum's threads and leave a comment introducing yourself. 

Glad you are going to hold for a while.  You can use this time to build up your self-care.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Moved from Supplements thread in  Symptoms and Self Care:

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

Hello my good buddies!!!  I think I may be on to something since I have had a great day today and I've been "getting the horns" really bad up until today!!!!  I started taking CBD oil which is thought to have extraordinary CNS protective effects.  Check out this product if you want to treat your brain to some TLC.  You can buy it in many forms and Ive found that "vaping it" in the oil form is very nice since I can vape it or put five or six drops in my coffee.  My friend told me about it and said as soon as he discovered it he told his parents to start taking it because it has helped with EVERYTHING!!! 

He said he lost 10 lbs without even trying and has more energy, less anxiety and helps with being around people too.   Maybe it is a placebo but my intuition and the current research suggests this is the real deal.  I'm coming off twenty years of Prozac and am down to 5mg from 40mg over the last two months or so.   I'm taking magnesium citrate and fish oil too (I have to say the brain zaps have been very mild.  I think I had only a half of a brain zap today so I downed some extra fish oil.  Hopefully I wont jinx myself by writing this and I will continue to post to let you know how long this window lasts.  Has anyone else tried this stuff???  I'm a psychotherapist and I felt at the top of my game today which has given me some hope that I will not have to abandon my practice.  Peace out homies!!!

Hi Craig , I've moved your post from the supplements thread to here as cbd oil is not considered a supplement. There are other threads that discuss cbd oil if you'd like to post there.

bw , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg