SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

PPPPP9: Getting off Risperdal, how rough is it and how did you feel after the final cut?

ppppp9

Just tapered down to 0.5 mgs. Risperdal.  Haven't had any withdrawal symptoms but with my last small cut this week a few emerged  Nothing major, a bit of nausea, waves, a few flushes and maybe 2-3 brain zaps.  Nothing significant. All in all, I feel good.  Will cut again in 5-7 weeks by 5-7% and wait another 6-8 weeks before the next cut.  I want whatever withdrawal symptoms I have to abate long enough before the next cut.  Hoping to avoid withdrawal syndrome.  Wondering if someone could tell me how you felt off Risperdal after full discontinuation.  Do withdrawal symptoms emerge months after and if so, how soon after and how long do they last?  Also, I've done this without my doctor's guidance.  Not sure he'd support my decisiion to discontinue so don't even want to go there.   

Edited by scallywag
correct decimal point for future taper advice

.5 mgs. Risperdal, Feb. 1/16 10% cut or less., mild w/d symptoms (cut too much), Apr. 1/16 5% or less cut, no w/d symptoms, May 15/16 5% or less cut, no w/d symptoms, Sept. 1/16 less than .25 mgs., no w/d symptoms, feeling great.  Risperdal tablets are disintegrating so shaving tiny tiny amounts is how I do it.

2012 to Aug./15 tapered 75 mgs. Effexor to nothing, felt great for 3 months then hit an anxiety patch late Oct., couldn't sleep, shaky all the time, couldn't concentrate. Nov. 1/15 reinstated tiny fraction, Feb. 1/16 8 beads, June 1/16 4 beads, Sept. 1/16 3 beads, no w/d symptoms, Feb. 10/16 2 beads, great no w/d symptoms, taking this really really slow.

200 mgs. Trazodone for sleep.  Will taper very slowly when Effexor and Risperdal are done with proven stability.

Taking Magnesium Citrate, Omega 3 Fish Oil  and Ashwagandha (has calming effect, promotes good sleep & feel energized)

Hi P.  Welcome.  You sound fairly knowledgeable already. Well done , with the taper, and in avoiding major symptoms. You will have to be extremely careful , from hereon in, as you get lower. Most doctors don't know or understand about withdrawal , so you're probably better to do your own thing. You have support here. Would you mind adding your drug history signature ?  It helps us to answer your questions concisely, and will appear below each of your posts. 

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

And this :

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1716-tips-for-tapering-off-risperdal-risperidone/

If you taper slowly , you should be able to keep withdrawal symptoms , to a minimum. Please come back with any other questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Today I woke up feeling nauseated and it's lasted several hours.   Otherwise, mood is good and no other concerns.  Took Gravol for the nausea.  It's helping to relieve it.

.5 mgs. Risperdal, Feb. 1/16 10% cut or less., mild w/d symptoms (cut too much), Apr. 1/16 5% or less cut, no w/d symptoms, May 15/16 5% or less cut, no w/d symptoms, Sept. 1/16 less than .25 mgs., no w/d symptoms, feeling great.  Risperdal tablets are disintegrating so shaving tiny tiny amounts is how I do it.

2012 to Aug./15 tapered 75 mgs. Effexor to nothing, felt great for 3 months then hit an anxiety patch late Oct., couldn't sleep, shaky all the time, couldn't concentrate. Nov. 1/15 reinstated tiny fraction, Feb. 1/16 8 beads, June 1/16 4 beads, Sept. 1/16 3 beads, no w/d symptoms, Feb. 10/16 2 beads, great no w/d symptoms, taking this really really slow.

200 mgs. Trazodone for sleep.  Will taper very slowly when Effexor and Risperdal are done with proven stability.

Taking Magnesium Citrate, Omega 3 Fish Oil  and Ashwagandha (has calming effect, promotes good sleep & feel energized)

What's the best way to taper a disintegrating tablet?  Anyone know?  Until now, I've been shaving off a miniscule amount with each taper.  They're very light so can you still weigh them on a digital scale?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi PPPPP9 , welcome to the site.  Well done on your taper so far!

The most precise way to measure tiny doses is to make a liquid.  This is very easy with dispersible tablets.

Have you read Tips For Tapering Risperdal here 

Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi PPPPP9 , welcome to the site.  Well done on your taper so far!

The most precise way to measure tiny doses is to make a liquid.  This is very easy with dispersible tablets.

Have you read Tips For Tapering Risperdal here 

Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

Hi Platinum Star, I read the tips on this.  It's a little confusing and I'm very new to tapering so want to get it right.  Would you be able to be specific as to how to liquify the disintegrating tablet and then determine how much to take in a syringe.  These tablets are very light also like air.  Could they not be weighed on a digital scale or would you not get a reading because they're so light?

Just looked up dispersible vs. disintegrating tablets.  Is there a difference?

• Moderator Emeritus

No difference pppp.

Risperdal is available in 0.5 mg tabs.   Maths isn't my strong suit and I'm likely to get the decimal point

wrong , so I'll ask one of our math expert to advise.

Please clarify , are you taking 0.5mg or 0.05mg?

"Just tapered down to 0.05 mgs. Risperdal."

"2016 tapering very, very slowly from 0.5 mgs."

Apologies for not introducing myself before , my name is Fresh

:)

NOTE:  I have corrected this error so that future mods will not question:  it is 0.5 mg.

Edited by JanCarol
note to mods

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

My apologies Fresh.  I'm taking 0.5 mgs.

Hi ppppp9-- welcome to the group.  I'm sorry to hear that your last drop has causes some symptoms to crop up, hopefully they're not too bad.

If you have the right scale you can weigh your tablets until there is almost nothing left of them.  We usually use jewelers scales that weigh to .001grams or 1mg.

How are you determining that you're taking 0.5mg? 

How have you been figuring what your reductions are? 

What is the number of mgs in a whole tablet according to the label on the bottle?

We should be able to get things figured out and set up an easy way to work out the reductions you need to make.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi ppppp9-- welcome to the group.  I'm sorry to hear that your last drop has causes some symptoms to crop up, hopefully they're not too bad.

If you have the right scale you can weigh your tablets until there is almost nothing left of them.  We usually use jewelers scales that weigh to .001grams or 1mg.

How are you determining that you're taking 0.5mg? 

How have you been figuring what your reductions are? 

What is the number of mgs in a whole tablet according to the label on the bottle?

We should be able to get things figured out and set up an easy way to work out the reductions you need to make.

Hi brassmonkey,

I very meticulously slice a 1 mg. tablet in half. No great science, may not be 100% accurate.   To taper, I slice a  small sliver off.  Can't do it any other way.  What's the best way to figure out the reductions on something like that?  I'd like to stick to slicing  and and not use a syringe as I don't have a clue on how to go about that.  I have a scale, (don't think it's a jeweler's scale though).  I have to check it out.

No withdrawal symptoms today but my brain feels heavy and overloaded like I've been working on a big project all day and night for days, maybe weeks.  Will that settle down? Sometimes I get hot and it lasts about 5-10 seconds. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It isn't complicated pppp , keep an open mind.   Using 1mg tablets makes it easy.

If you dissolve one 1mg tablet in 5mls of water , then to get 0.5mg , you draw up 2.5mls of solution.

If you dissolve your 1mg tablet in 10mls of water , you would need 5mls to get your 0.5mg.

All you need is a small glass jar / bottle and a plastic syringe.   

Back to you brassmonkey , ;)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, PPP etc.

If you are down to .5mg risperidone, you might switch to the liquid prescription to taper further.

Any doctor can prescribe these drugs, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, PPP etc.

If you are down to .5mg risperidone, you might switch to the liquid prescription to taper further.

Any doctor can prescribe these drugs, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.

I'll have to see if I can get it at a walk in clinic.  Thank you.  Today I feel great since my last taper last Monday.  Very productive day at work and my head feels great, no zaps, no nausea, no waves, just a good day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hold on a tick pppp ,     I've just read your signature and realized you're also taking effexor and trazodone.

Please read this topic Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

It suggests that you should taper the more activating drug first , and that's effexor.  

I'm thinking you should sit tight with risperdal 0.5mg , and when you start tapering in a month or so , work on the effexor.

bw ,

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

pppp, how long have you been taking each of your drugs?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hold on a tick pppp ,     I've just read your signature and realized you're also taking effexor and trazodone.

Please read this topic Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

It suggests that you should taper the more activating drug first , and that's effexor.  

I'm thinking you should sit tight with risperdal 0.5mg , and when you start tapering in a month or so , work on the effexor.

bw ,

Hi Fresh,

The thing is Effexor keeps me calm and not anxious.  I'm taking less than 37.5 (I pour the beads out and don't count them).  Haven't had an adverse effect from doing that so far.  Been doing it that way for a few years now.  When I reinstated Effexor even at this non-therapeutic dose, I felt better almost instantly.  That with Trazodone give me a decent night's sleep at least for now.

It's day 10 since my last taper.  Yesterday, I felt great but today had brain waves all day, some intense.  Mood is good and slept well last night.  Sometimes felt like I was losing my equilibrium.  Will these waves subside or how long do I have to ride them out?  I don't know what vertigo feels like and am wondering if that's what it was?

pppp, how long have you been taking each of your drugs?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker Email | Email these results to a friend/patient

Ask questions/find answers in the Drugs.com Community

Drug Interaction Classification

The classifications below are a guideline only. The relevance of a particular drug interaction to a specific patient is difficult to determine using this tool alone given the large number of variables that may apply.

Major Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit. Moderate Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances. Minor Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.

Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.

Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Multum is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. Multum's information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Multum Information Services, Inc. does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. Copyright 2000-2016 Multum Information Services, Inc. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.

I just want to report on my progress.  I tapered 5-7% 12 days ago today.  I experienced some withdrawal symptoms until 2 days ago.  The past 2 days have been very good, no brain waves, no zaps, sleeping pretty good, no anxiety, good concentration with mild nausea at night only.  That disappears by early morning.  So far so good.  Just thought I should post in case others are tapering off an antipsychotic too. 

I'm going to wait another 2-3 months before I do another 5% taper.  I've decided that if I continue to feel like today, tapering very very slowly and very gradually is the way to go.  I want to minimize withdrawal symptoms and if they're short lived that's fine.  We'll see whether I feel this good in the coming weeks, months though.  I'll report if I don't.

It's day 10 since my last taper.  Yesterday, I felt great but today had brain waves all day, some intense.  Mood is good and slept well last night.  Sometimes felt like I was losing my equilibrium.  Will these waves subside or how long do I have to ride them out?  I don't know what vertigo feels like and am wondering if that's what it was?

Vertigo is like combination of nausea and dizziness together.

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

Okay, it's been several days since my last post.  Last night I slept very well 7.15 hours and was sleepy most of the day so I rested.  Tonight my head feels heavy like it wants to have a big headache but can't.  Will this go away or is this how it feels when you've taken your dose the night before? Am I withdrawing from last night's dose?  It's been 14 days since my last cut.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been about 2 weeks since my last post and I thought I'd post to say I'm feeling great.  Whatever w/d symptoms I felt over the first 2-1/2 weeks have all abated.  I feel normal again.  It's been really good.  I'm going to wait another month or more before I do my next taper.  This is going to be a long and very slow taper.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi pppp9,

its miko

How are you doing? How is the tapering going?

does ashwagandha help with sleep? I ordered some to see how it is,

best of luck

2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

That is great news. P .   Your sig is a bit unclear . Are you tapering Risperdal , right now ?     :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 3 weeks later...

Hi pppp9,

its miko

How are you doing? How is the tapering going?

does ashwagandha help with sleep? I ordered some to see how it is,

best of luck

Hi Miko,

Thank you for your post.  I'm doing really well.  I've decided to taper every 7-8 weeks, not less.  I think that's made a world of difference.  I feel well-balanced with no w/d symptoms for a number of weeks now.  The Ashwagandha is wonderful.  I take it at night about an hour before bed.  It really works to bring a sense of calm and general well-being.  I sleep much better because of it too.  Best of luck with it as I see that you've ordered it.  Let me know how you're doing with it if you like.  Again, thank you for your post.

That is great news. P .   Your sig is a bit unclear . Are you tapering Risperdal , right now ?     :)

Hi Allg,

Thank you for your kind words.  I'm doing great so far.  Did another cut on April 1st and no w/d symptoms to date.  It was very very small.  Will hold on that until mid to late May and then do another cut.  Yes, I'm tapering off Risperdal.  I'll fix my signature. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey PPPP - it is such a relief, as a mod, to look and see someone taking the "slow road."  Thank you!

We see so many people dashing around helter-skelter willy-nilly trying this and that and up and down and wonder why they don't feel good?

It sounds like you are having symptoms, but are managing them with a slow, gradual taper, and tracking your symptoms.  AWESOME for you!

Please keep your signature current with your taper dates and dosages, so that whenever and wherever you post, we know what your story is.  Your signature shows a percentage cut, but not what dose you are on.  I know it's hard to know with the method you are using, but as you get down in dosages, you will need to be more precise.

A "jewelers scale" is one which shows .00x - 3 digits after the decimal point, or milligrams.  Even then, it is not the most accurate (I put a coin on the plate, and tare to the coin to get better accuracy). And it's not without maths, because your 1 mg tablet may way 3.72 mg!  (then you have to figure how much of the tablet is active ingredient, and taper that active part by weighing the whole tablet)

It is easier to do these tiny tapers with liquid, which enables you to be a lot more precise.  First of all, the tablets are not always evenly dispersed.  Remember Alice in Wonderland?  Which side of the mushroom is the left side, and which is the right side?  There may be different amounts of active chemical in each "side" of the tablet.  Dispersing in liquid solves this problem, as you use the whole tablet. Plus, if the tablets are light and fluffy, like you say, they will readily dissolve in water, and be much easier to work with.

Keep up the good work!

See Fresh's links on "making liquid" and "using syringes," above.  Plus there are smart & experienced people here, if you have specific questions, ask! - someone will know.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi JanCarol.  Thank you for your kind words.  I've not had w/d symptoms all month so something's going along just right.  I'm doing a slow taper because I don't want w/d symptoms controlling me and I'd much rather avoid or minimize that if possible.  I'm also not in a hurry.  I want to rid myself of these drugs but I want to do it carefully with patience and not in haste.  I'm so grateful I found this site when I did.   I researched the 10% taper before but didn't know about all the other possibilities like, w/d syndrome and the problems with tapering at 10% when at low doses.  Now that I know, I'm taking this slow and easy.

Hi pppp,

I've received ashwagandha and tried it for some days, Its very good and really helps. Brings  a sense of calm like you said. Just wanted to ask you  did you switch to liquid  to taper off or you slice off a bit from each tablet?

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Hi pppp,

I've received ashwagandha and tried it for some days, Its very good and really helps. Brings  a sense of calm like you said. Just wanted to ask you  did you switch to liquid  to taper off or you slice off a bit from each tablet?

Hi Miko789.  I'm so glad you find the ashwagandha helps.  I noticed a difference taking it also almost immediately.  It's really helped with sleep too.  I couldn't do a liquid taper because this wafer light tablet doesn't disintegrate.  It stays whole and fluffy when water is added.  I've opted to slice a sliver at a time.  Even when I weigh the tablet I'm unable to get an accurate reading with each dose so this is why I'm slicing.  So far good!  Best of luck to you!

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

ppppp9: You posted in Tilea's thread about tapering Effexor when taking 4-6 beads.  Your question provoked my curiosity in the issue.  Are you currently taking Effexor? It's hard (for me ... :wacko: ) to get the picture from your signature.

Ok, I've reread your & see that you're at  Risperdal: 0.4 mg; Trazodone 200 mg; Effexor: 6 beads. 

The risperdal dose I calculated: current dose = 0.5 * 90% * 95%  * 95%. Would you be open to editing your signature to make that clear for the moderating team?

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Scallywag,

I fixed my signature somewhat.  Can't say how much Risperdal I'm on right now because I've not been weighing or measuring.  Unable to do that because they're distintegrating wafer like tablets, don't dissolve to make a solution and weigh nothing on a scale.  Any time I've weighed the cuts they've been totally inaccurate and fluctuate in weight in great amounts so I gave up on doing that.  I just slice a sliver off the wafer each time being very careful to take a minute amount.  So far, that's worked out ok.  I did drop the Effexor over the last 2 months and for the past 2 weeks have been holding at 4 beads.  I feel good although sometimes a little spacey and am wondering which of the two meds is causing that.  I need a little help on whether to continue dropping on the Effexor or just hold on that until I'm through with the Risperdal and when I drop on the Effexor, how does one do that when you're on 4 beads only/day.  Really, I've had no w/d symptoms to speak of other than this spacey and sometimes head pressure I feel off and on but only since the last week.  What do you think?

ppppp9: You posted in Tilea's thread about tapering Effexor when taking 4-6 beads.  Your question provoked my curiosity in the issue.  Are you currently taking Effexor? It's hard (for me ... :wacko: ) to get the picture from your signature.

Ok, I've reread your & see that you're at  Risperdal: 0.4 mg; Trazodone 200 mg; Effexor: 6 beads. 

The risperdal dose I calculated: current dose = 0.5 * 90% * 95%  * 95%. Would you be open to editing your signature to make that clear for the moderating team?

• Moderator Emeritus

I've had that space-y feeling in my head when I missed doses unintentionally when on Effexor and more recently on Cymbalta. My guess is that it's your drop to 4 beads of the Effexor. Hard to say for sure though because you've made changes to two meds close together. Consider staying where you are with both Risperdal and Effexor for at least 2 weeks more, another 4 weeks would be better.

Thanks for updating your sig. Can you show the last few Effexor bead drops there too?

mm/dd 2016: 8 beads

mm/dd 2016: 6 beads

June 1/16: 4 beads

Having that information easy to see helps us help you!

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you scallywag.  I'll do another drop on Aug. 1 but wondering should I do both or just the Risperdal?  If only Risperdal, when do I drop on the Effexor and should it be by 1 bead/day only and holding at 3.  Is a 6-8 week hold good enough afterwards?

• Moderator Emeritus

Let your symptoms guide you for timing of the next cut rather than the calendar, especially if you're still experiencing variability in your symptoms when a calendar-based hold approaches.

One drug at a time, ppppp, one at a time. :)  It will be either the Risperdal or the Effexor; deciding which of the two will be based on your pre-med symptoms and your w/d symptoms.  Keep posting, especially your symptoms (if any)  and ask again towards the end of July.

scallywag's Introduction