SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

megb: 3rd time attempt to get off Paxil

megb

My third and hopefully final attempt to get off Paxil is here :) I start March 1st of this year, which is just around the corner. I have a lot of hope :) It will be over 3 years, but I feel good about my taper plan. Thankful for this site of encouragement and testimonies - I will be praying for freedom for you all! I've included a photo of my handwritten taper plan. The length of time is in months.  Will keep this updated for whoever cares to read. Let's do this. 

Sep '18 - became pregnant  in late August, then on 9/5 insomnia/anxiety went THROUGH the roof. I tried a lot of things but here is what is current: 

Paroxetine: 6.2mg (began 9/5/18, and there was a new manufacturer of which I just found out 2 days ago) during the day

Olanzapine 7.5mg at night

Ambien: 5-10mg at night

Xanex: 5-10mg at night

Fish Oil: for prenatal things

• Aug '18: Paroxetine 6.6mg, (30mg thyroid hormone, fish oil, vit D3, SBI protect, probiotic. Following AIP diet)
  • Mar '16: began taper from 20mg. Decreasing .75mg or less each month or more. Sporadically used Ambien &/or Trazodone for insomnia. 
  •  Sep'15: tried to come off slower. Used fish oil, vit D3, and regular exercise/healthy diet to assist. (Taper sched= 18mg for 60days, 15mg for 60d, 10mg for 30d, 8mg for 30d) At my 3rd week of 8mg in Nov '15, insomnia and panic attacks began. Back up to 20mg after a month of horrible withdrawal. 
  • Oct'12-Sep'15: 20mg Paxil
  • Sep'12: 1st attempt to get off, naively tried cold turkey per Dr. suggestion. Couldn't work for 2 months. Another Doc upped dose to 20mg.
  • Jun '09-Aug '12: 10mg Paxil for severe insomnia due to anxiety. Also took Ambien/Trazodone for sleep.  Other meds taken sporadically: Ativan, Abilify, Xyrem 

My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• megb

• Altostrata

• brassmonkey

• Survivor1

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi megb,

Welcome to SA.  You've come to the right place for support and information.  Fall of 2015, that would be October?  If so that's hold of about 3 months on 20 mg?  You've done a good job of your signature but if you can be a little more accurate with the recent dates (at least the months and if possible the date or even beginning, middle or end would help).  The will enable the staff here to be able to offer more accurate suggestions.

I can see from your plan that you intend to do Prozac Bridging.  This is the link Tips for Tapering Paxil which includes ways to get the dose you need for your taper.  I suggest you read these if you haven't already.

This topic is your personal topic to ask questions pertaining to your own taper and you can also use it to journal your progress.

It's a good idea to learn CBT and/or other ways to cope.  Patience and listening to your body (and not being stuck rigidly to the calendar if things don't go the way you expect) is also necessary for this journey.  May it go well.  CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Wow megb

Im sure it is going to be 3rd time lucky for you definitely.

That is a wonderful taper plan. I think its the best and ,most informed i have seen for a first time poster.

Will you be using liquid or scales?

Welcome to the site

Don't forget  your central nervous system is the final judge you may need to go slower at the lower doses.

Many people are now tapering at 10% below the 1 mg level. So that's something to keep in mind

On looking at your plans it appears, correct me if I am wrong, you plan to do a Prozac bridge at 15 mg.

May I ask, if that is correct, what is informing you to do that?

This will involve a cold turkey off the Paxil at 15 mg, and switch to Prozac at 15 mg is that your intention?

Another option you could consider is to stay with the devil you know than the one you don't. And you can always slow the taper even more.

Check out the links CC gave you.

You are one wise Texan!

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Welcome, Meg.

Maybe it's that I'm tired, but I'm a bit confused. Are you planning to taper off SSRIs altogether by switching to prozac after getting down to 15 mg (Prozac bridge), then tapering the prozac slowly down til off all medication? Or are you planning on doing a cross-taper where you gradually decrease paxil dose down to zero after adding prozac 10 mg, then increasing the prozac to 20 mg. in October 2017, and staying on prozac?

It looked like the latter to me because the dates/mgs on your notation on the right side of your schedule don't match the taper doses after you get to the 15 on paxil, plus it looks like you will be going up on the prozac from 10 to 20 as you lower what I think is still the paxil dose.

But I have neck problems and may not be reading it correctly lol. If I'm mistaken, please forgive me and clarify.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Well spotted Brandy.

Your sideways vision is far better than mine.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi all, thanks so much for replying so promptly! Really makes a gal feel welcome :) I have adjusted my signature to include more specific dates and info. I'd like to reply to some of your questions....

• I will be using a compounding pharmacy for the specific doses to alleviate the stress of self measuring liquid/cutting pills. Found a great one near my house that takes my insurance! wooohoo!
  • I will definitely keep in mind the tapering much much slower after 1mg, how sad we have to do that :( Ugh it's like coming off of heroin - which I've never been on but can only imagine. 
  • I am interested in Prozac bridging, as it really scares me the thought of not having a backup if/when the withdrawal hits like a ton of bricks as it has in the past. Still researching this option. If I did the Prozac bridging I would not hop off Paxil at any point - I will just add Prozac in while at 15mg Paxil to provide a sort of "mattress under the window" if you will. I will still continue the taper of Paxil while on a low dose of Prozac. I've heard it is much easier to wean off Prozac, do any of you have any experience in this area? Any feedback would be great. 
  • Sorry about the photo! It is sideways and I cannot figure out how to flip it. I will NOT be cold turkeying the Paxil at any point. If Prozac transition is going well I may choose to stay on it longer term. Right now still weighing options. I'd LOVE to be off all SSRI's and medications, but readying myself if that is not the answer in these next few years. Still playing with the dates of starting the Prozac. ---hope this answers your questions Brandy!

Sep '18 - became pregnant  in late August, then on 9/5 insomnia/anxiety went THROUGH the roof. I tried a lot of things but here is what is current: 

Paroxetine: 6.2mg (began 9/5/18, and there was a new manufacturer of which I just found out 2 days ago) during the day

• Aug '18: Paroxetine 6.6mg, (30mg thyroid hormone, fish oil, vit D3, SBI protect, probiotic. Following AIP diet)
  • Mar '16: began taper from 20mg. Decreasing .75mg or less each month or more. Sporadically used Ambien &/or Trazodone for insomnia. 
  •  Sep'15: tried to come off slower. Used fish oil, vit D3, and regular exercise/healthy diet to assist. (Taper sched= 18mg for 60days, 15mg for 60d, 10mg for 30d, 8mg for 30d) At my 3rd week of 8mg in Nov '15, insomnia and panic attacks began. Back up to 20mg after a month of horrible withdrawal. 
  • Sep'12: 1st attempt to get off, naively tried cold turkey per Dr. suggestion. Couldn't work for 2 months. Another Doc upped dose to 20mg.
  • Jun '09-Aug '12: 10mg Paxil for severe insomnia due to anxiety. Also took Ambien/Trazodone for sleep.  Other meds taken sporadically: Ativan, Abilify, Xyrem 

Wow meg you have thought of everything. Great going.

Talking about heroin what do you think of this idea ...taper off heroin by taking cocaine to provide a mattress under the window.

In the last 2 months i have been astonished at the number of people join this site in the middle of a prozac bridge (or variation) that has got messy.

it really scares me the thought of not having a backup if/when the withdrawal hits like a ton of bricks as it has in the past.

You already have the best backup plan there is a brilliantly planned slow taper. And you can always build in longer holds if you want.

What do you think?

Recovering paxil addict

• Administrator

Welcome, megb.

Congratulations on taking charge of your taper.

You may be able to directly taper off Paxil without risking a switch to Prozac. I'd give this a try, see how the slow tapering goes for a while, before adding in the Prozac, which you might want to do when you're at 5mg Paxil or less.

Paxil also comes in liquid form for tapering -- see Tips for Tapering Paxil (thank you, ChessieCat) -- which may be less expensive than compounding.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto! Trying ti stay hopeful. It has been difficult, as my husband and i wish to start a family, but i just cannot in good faith do so while on this nasty drug :(

This site is fantastic im so glad to be here.

meg

Feel free to update your intro journal anytime. And let us know how you are doing.

Joining this  site guarantees you, your own international cheer-leading group. 

Well when I say international I must admit there are a lot of  Aussies here. 

But we always knew they were a bit of a mad bunch after all !

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Well when I say international I must admit there are a lot of  Aussies here. 

But we always knew they were a bit of a mad bunch after all !

Ha, ha, nz11! :) 

Hi Meg! 

Wow, your plan sounds really well thought out. Good for you! 

I'd like to chime in on the idea of "bridging." My doctors put me on Zoloft to "cross-taper." The cross-taper hasn't turned out 

so hot, AND I went way up on Zoloft when I started having suicidal thoughts (they said it seemed that I needed to be "on something," when in fact it was only about 6 weeks away from having cut Paxil 50%). Because I'm now on two medicines, the symptoms I'm having now, I don't know if they're a side effect of Zoloft, or of Paxil withdrawal.

I won't beat myself up for trusting medical professionals, and I try not to second-guess myself for going so far up on the Zoloft….But I will share this experience in the hopes that others don't go through the same thing. 

<3 Again, welcome!

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Hi Meg b!

Do you plan on using any supplements?  If you do, It may be best to start them NOW, To make sure you don't have any reaction to them ahead of time.  If you wait until you're not feeling well to add something and then you think it made you worse, you'll never really know for sure if it's the Paxil withdrawal or the supplement.

You have plenty of time before you decide to add the prozac or not, but a lot of people who tried that wish they hadn't.  Luckily, you have some time to get acquainted with the site before you make that decision.

WELCOME ABOARD OUR SHIP!  :blink:  :o  :P  :D  :lol:

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

Colonial, 

Thank you for the info - I will absolutely do more searching before deciding on a Prozac bridge. I have been taking many supplements for a year or a bit longer: fish oil, vit D3, Tumeric, multivitamin. Great advice! I think I will go up on my fish oil, I've heard it can be helpful to take those twice a day in morning and afternoon. 

How are things for you thus far? I see it has been a struggle eliminating the xanex? I take it occasionally when I can't sleep every few months. Also, since you were on the Paxil CR, did you notice it was harder or easier to try to come off the CR version? Does it have a longer half life? 

Meg

Hi all, a question for you. I have seen a few folks posting about changing from the pill of a med to the liquid form, and some seem to be having quite a hard time with it. I was wondering:

Do you think I will have the same issue switching to capsule form?

I am two days into my new taper plan and feel just fine, but wondered nonetheless. Let me know if any of you have used a compounded medication and if switching from the pill form was difficult. 

thank you ^_^

meg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Meg , welcome to the site.

You shouldn't have any problems switching from tablets to capsules. Remember to ask for them

to be made up with slow-release additive.

Changing to liquid is a different story , because there are no buffers and fillers , and the liquid

is absorbed much more quickly.

FYI , if you do the bridge to Prozac , the idea is that you cease prozac after around 2 weeks.

You do not continue on 2 drugs.

"Still researching this option. If I did the Prozac bridging I would not hop off Paxil at any point - I will just add Prozac in while at 15mg Paxil to provide a sort of "mattress under the window" if you will. I will still continue the taper of Paxil while on a low dose of Prozac."

This is extremely illogical . . . why bother tapering at all if you're going start another med?

The idea is to taper OFF meds , not add new ones. If you take both , you'll likely get toxic , which has it own host of symptoms.

bw , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Fresh, thanks for your prompt response! The thing is this: Paxil, from my research and understanding, is the greater evil compared to Prozac - especially for women wanting to conceive. 

I don't know if I need an antidepressant to function. I want a family and it seems as though people are miserable for years and years even after getting off a medication. I wanted to switch from Paxil to Prozac (prozac doesnt cause serious weight gain and could be easier to taper than Paxil has been for me.) 

This is where I am. 

Hi Megb, I just wanted to comment on the Prozac weight gain, there is no guarantee that you won't gain weight on it. I was on Prozac and gained 70lbs in 2 years, my mother and sister both had the same problem.

Took 20mg of Prozac from March 2005 until May 2014 with a couple of breaks in there, my last break was 6-7months in 2008.

Tapered every other day for a couple of weeks May 2014 and quit, only symptom was rage for a couple of weeks.

August 2014-major stress in life insomnia started, tried taking Prozac for 4 days and started twitching and moncylonic jerks. stopped taking it, wasn't my generic I thought that was the problem, my Prozac was unavailable for 6 weeks so I waited.

October 2014- took my generic Prozac for a couple of days, twitching and jerking starts again so I stopped.

November 2014-OCD make a very unwelcome appearance so I decide to start at 10mg of Prozac and it works for a couple of weeks, I am sleeping and feeling like me again, after 2 1/2 weeks insomnia kicks in and in the next couple of days the twitching and jerking start again. So I wean off in one week and that's when the problems begin.

December 2014-stop the Prozac, symptoms begin. waking between 3-4 every morning with panic, tremors in back of head, waking up to my entire body vibrating, suicidal, anxiety, eyes blurry, feeling off balance reacting to sleep aids.

February 2015-first window lasted a day.

May 2015- 2 week window (it was beautiful)

June 2015-became depressed, but lifted at the end of the month, had a couple mild waves, but can absolutely tell they are not as bad as 6 months ago.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please see our topic on The Prozac Switch here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/

"By Altostrata: Prey 2012 method for Prozac switch

Another knowledgeable doctor (whom I trust) explained his technique to me (this is the technique I personally would prefer if I had to do it, it seems much gentler):

For a "normal" dose of Effexor (150mg per day or more) or Paxil or Cymbalta, he would switch to 10mg Prozac with a week of overlap. In other words, take both medications for a week and then drop the Effexor. Lower doses of Effexor or other antidepressant require lower doses of Prozac as a "bridge."

The lower dose of Prozac reduces the risk of excessive serotoninergic stimulation from the combination of the two antidepressants during the overlap period.

Do not stay on the combination of the first antidepressant and Prozac for more than 2 weeks, or you run the risk of your nervous system accommodating to the combination and having difficulty tapering off both antidepressants."

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Fresh, thanks for your prompt response! The thing is this: Paxil, from my research and understanding, is the greater evil compared to Prozac - especially for women wanting to conceive. 

I'm interested in what studies you looked at because from what I have read the the link between Paxil use during pregnancy and congenital heart defects has been exaggerated while the risk of  abnormalities with other SSRIs has been understated. There is no "safer" SSRI when it comes to pregnancy, they all carry a risk (or carry no risk depending on which study you look at). Take a look at this article and you will see how the results regarding Paxil use and pregnancy have been mixed:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acps.12042/full

Some studies found a link and others did not. In one study Prozac had twice the prevalence of heart defects than Paroxetine and even so the numbers are very small and not all that different from women who did not take any ADs during pregnancy (For Paroxetine: 1.5% vs 1%). If you try a Prozac bridge, you may be one of the lucky ones who has no issues or you may be one of the unlucky ones. Constant anxiety can cause harm to a developing fetus as well. If it were me I think it would be safer to taper the Paxil to a low dose before conceiving, but that's just my opinion of course.

"In summary, paroxetine and other SSRIs have not consistently been demonstrated to be associated with particular birth defects. Paroxetine use during early pregnancy has been the most controversial, as it has been associated with an increased risk of overall major malformations, particularly atrial and ventricular septal defects in several studies [51, 60, 66, 69, 72], but assessments of large databases have not supported this finding [65, 74]."

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Ladybug...

I REALLY appreciate your two cents. Thank you for linking articles, those are so helpful. I will def. do more research. Also, you are incredibly close to being off Paxil --go you!!! Looks like it's been a long long journey for you, I wish you nothing but blessings and no negative symptoms as you continue. 

Meg

• Administrator

All psychiatric drugs are bad for the developing baby. You can feel what they do to your brain, they do the same to the baby. All psychiatric drugs incur the risk of neonatal withdrawal syndrome. Prozac might be a little better there, but it is still a powerful psychotropic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Y'all last night was not so good :( I couldn't fall asleep, yet there was NO anxiety that I felt. So strange. I was up until 4am and finally broke down and took a small amount of xanex and ambien. Trying not to get discouraged after 1 night! Could it be hormones? I should be starting my period in a few days so not sure. 

just needed to vent a bit. I reaaaalllly struggle with having a good day if I don't get adequate rest. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Xanax AND Ambien? How much did you take?

What responsibilities do you have during the day Meg?

You need to be prepared to experience some discomfort during this process. If you're reaching for

benzos at the first sign of insomnia , you're going to create more problems.

Try to remember that lack of sleep isn't going to hurt you , it's part of the process of your brain adjusting to the decrease. The less you can try to medicate your way through this , the better. That way you can experience the true effect of the 0.5mg cut , and know exactly how it affects you. You may wish to try a smaller decrease next time round.

bw ,

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Fresh, I took 7mg Ambien and .125mg xanex. I do work on the weekdays in an office. Insomnia is just my greatest fear and causer of anxiety. It is soooo hard to deal with for me. I've experienced months and months with 2 hrs of sleep every other day in 2009 and 2012 - torture. 

• Moderator Emeritus

If you need to work then you need to stay on top of it meg , I understand.

You might consider bumping your dose up so that your decrease is 0.25 instead of 0.5mg.

Chessiecat did that with her first decrease - it was more symptoms than she was prepared for so she

updosed slightlyafter a few days. Nothing wrong with that. It's a better option than supplementing with benzos to deal with the symptoms.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• 3 weeks later...

Our stories are very similar. I opted not to bridge because I was scared of what might happen and no one could guarantee it would work. Alto said something to me early on that made sense. "Better the devil you know". I have been slowly tapering and keep slowing it down in an attempt to cope with the symptoms. You are very brave and I know you will make it! The sleep thing is dead on for me too. So hard to deal with daily life when there is no sleep!

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

Thank you Fresh & Jlynn! I have been doing great since I posted last. I think the initial shock of less medication caused the insomnia (or maybe i convinced myself I wouldn't sleep as well on a lesser dose? who knows!). 

It's been a month at 18.5 and no symptoms that I notice except for a little more tired than usual BUT I can deal with that for sure! I am sleeping A LOT at night - don't take naps - and able to exercise as much as I want.  :D I will stay at 18.5 for another 4 weeks then go to 18mg. 

I agree it can be best to do the devil I know. I did try prozac in Dec of last year for a month to try to ease the withdrawal symptoms when I was at 8mg Paxil. I wish I would've bumped up to 10 or 15 instead of full 20. But let's be honest, I was desperate to feel better and not in my right mind. Praying for you both!!

• 2 weeks later...

For the last 4 months I have been taking 5-25mg of Trazodone to help with insomnia during my last awful episode. I have been on it before and had NO trouble tapering and getting off last year, but this time it's a little harder and not sure why. 

The last few nights down to less than 3mg have been really hard to get to sleep and stay asleep. Any tips from those that have been on it? Melatonin just doesn't do it for me. Anyone tried Unisom to transition to natural sleep from drugs? I just learned SSRIs inhibit REM sleep...no wonder my sleep has been awful ever since I've been on Paxil. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Meg,

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Also be aware of anticipitory-anxiety

Just did: 

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major trazodone paroxetine

Applies to: trazodone, Paxil (paroxetine)

Using traZODone together with PARoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give a quick update. I am on my 8th day of 17.5 Paxil and I feel pretty good - very sleepy, but actually sleeping lots so no complaints here! Still taking 12.5mg Trazodone but will be weaning off that in a month or two. I tapered Ambien, which I started retaking in mid-March. I have been off Ambien so far since June 1st :) 

I am now redoing my taper plan to include much longer holds on 15mg, 10mg, 5mg, 1mg. It will take much much longer but after reading an update of Mapleleafgirl, I think this is the best route to see if I have any delayed withdrawals. 

Began going to the Chiropractor last month so we shall see if my neck and shoulder pain improve! Really love my chiro, she is the sweetest. 

Okay, well just wanted to updated my SA diary a bit :) Blessings to all of you!! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Meg,

It's good to see you embracing the benefits of occasional longer holds, and also sounding so positive about life in general - lovely :).

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you Karen! How are you doing? Just read your signature... I'm sorry for all you've been through. Sounds so rough with all the med changes and ups/downs. Seems like the longer holds are really helping you as well. Are you feeling well these days ?

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm doing moderately well - some days plenty of energy, but others a bit blah.  Better than a year ago, but not as good as I am wanting to get to with this hold.  I still feel I'm on track though, giving myself stability and time for things to slowly sort themselves out.  And I do know that I am much better off than many, so I try to remember my blessings. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 1 month later...

Currently a week into 16.5mg and feeling good - tired, but good. A month ago I was diagnosed with a thyroid autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's, which I am sure plays a part in fatigue and general eh-ness. I'm sleeping well though - and SO blessed to be doing so with no medication. 

I am taking a non-synthetic thyroid med along with Paxil, but those are my only pills besides vitamins and supplements!! :) I recently auditioned for a local theatre play and got a small role. Thankful to be doing something fun for myself after 7 years of being scared to put myself out there. Hopefully, in 6 months or so my thyroid will level out. Going gluten free forever and limited dairy.

I also changed my taper plan even further to accommodate longer holds and smaller decreases. I do have a big question though: 

*Lengthening my taper plan also means more and more years on this awful poison. 9 more years is a LONG time... how do I know if the benefits of being on this longer and going at a snails pace means less damage on my brain and body than getting off sooner but not as slow?? A little conflicted about this. Would LOVE some advice.

- thank you!!  

• 2 weeks later...

IN need of advice please...

Lengthening my taper plan also means more and more years on this awful poison. 9 more years is a LONG time... how do I know if the benefits of being on this longer and going at a snails pace means less damage on my brain and body than getting off sooner but not as slow?? A little conflicted about this. What should I do?

Lengthening my taper plan also means more and more years on this awful poison. 9 more years is a LONG time... how do I know if the benefits of being on this longer and going at a snails pace means less damage on my brain and body than getting off sooner but not as slow?? A little conflicted about this. What should I do?

Because if you try that you may be bounced back to the start for the fourth time.

You are not going to be tapering for "9 more years" Where are you getting that from.

But yes if you have been taking paxil for 6 yrs and plan to taper for 3 then yeah that will total 9 yrs. So from what i see your tapering plan will only take you 3.2 years to get to 1mg.

You should go as slow as you need to. If that takes 5 years then sobeit that is what slowly is.

Here is a piece ive been reading from Glenmullen recently

He says:

"We assume that withdrawal symptoms do not cause injury to brain cells or to other organ systems. But, since it has not been adequately researched, we do not really know the answer to this question. The question [can antidepressants withdrawal symptoms do any injury to the brain or to other organ systems? ] is often asked by patients with severe symptoms like electric zaps sensations in the brains of disabling withdrawal symptoms. Because we lack a definitive answer, patients should be discouraged from repeatedly "toughing out" severe withdrawal symptoms. Instead, the tapering schedule should be paced so that patients experience mild, tolerable withdrawal symptoms. This provides something of an 'insurance policy' since we do not really know the answer to this important question." Glenmullen 2005.

Boy do i feel bad after reading this cos i 'toughed out' my wdl big time.

I am now redoing my taper plan to include much longer holds on 15mg, 10mg, 5mg, 1mg.

Maybe thats how you intend to get 9 more years.

I dont think you need to hold for a year and a half at each of these doses if thats what you plan.

Just do your drop and wait the 4 weeks if stable then do the next drop if not then hold for a couple more weeks.The cns will tell you what to do.

I think your taper plan is very wise and excellent.

Dont worry the 3-4 years will go really fast.

You may like to consider the Brassmonkey taper.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict