SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

megb: 3rd time attempt to get off Paxil

megb

• Moderator Emeritus

"Dont worry the 3-4 years will go really fast."

I found that as my dose reduced I started feeling better and tapering has faded into the background.  When I was doing my first few drops I was watching the calendar keen to do the next drop.  Now I find I don't watch the calendar and a month can go by and I think, wow that went quickly.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• megb

• Altostrata

• brassmonkey

• Survivor1

Top Posters In This Topic

Lengthening my taper plan also means more and more years on this awful poison. 9 more years is a LONG time... how do I know if the benefits of being on this longer and going at a snails pace means less damage on my brain and body than getting off sooner but not as slow?? A little conflicted about this. What should I do?

Because if you try that you may be bounced back to the start for the fourth time.

You are not going to be tapering for "9 more years" Where are you getting that from.

But yes if you have been taking paxil for 6 yrs and plan to taper for 3 then yeah that will total 9 yrs. So from what i see your tapering plan will only take you 3.2 years to get to 1mg.

You should go as slow as you need to. If that takes 5 years then sobeit that is what slowly is.

Here is a piece ive been reading from Glenmullen recently

He says:

"We assume that withdrawal symptoms do not cause injury to brain cells or to other organ systems. But, since it has not been adequately researched, we do not really know the answer to this question. The question [can antidepressants withdrawal symptoms do any injury to the brain or to other organ systems? ] is often asked by patients with severe symptoms like electric zaps sensations in the brains of disabling withdrawal symptoms. Because we lack a definitive answer, patients should be discouraged from repeatedly "toughing out" severe withdrawal symptoms. Instead, the tapering schedule should be paced so that patients experience mild, tolerable withdrawal symptoms. This provides something of an 'insurance policy' since we do not really know the answer to this important question." Glenmullen 2005.

Boy do i feel bad after reading this cos i 'toughed out' my wdl big time.

I am now redoing my taper plan to include much longer holds on 15mg, 10mg, 5mg, 1mg.

Maybe thats how you intend to get 9 more years.

I dont think you need to hold for a year and a half at each of these doses if thats what you plan.

Just do your drop and wait the 4 weeks if stable then do the next drop if not then hold for a couple more weeks.The cns will tell you what to do.

I think your taper plan is very wise and excellent.

Dont worry the 3-4 years will go really fast.

You may like to consider the Brassmonkey taper.

nz11

NZ, I am taking heed of Mapleleaf girl, who I follow. She wished she would have held doses for much longer periods. I plan to do the same so I don't end up in the awfulness she went through by going 'too fast'. 

It will be 8 years total from now and I don't love that but I also won't go faster just to be done. I use a compounding pharmacy so I won't be tapering small amounts weekly/biweekly like Brass does. I plan to hold 4 months at 15 mg, 6 months at 10 mg, 45 days per dose under 10mg, hold for 6 months at 5mg, 6 months at 1mg, and 6 months at .1mg. It might change as I go on, I will listen to my body for sure!

Sep '18 - became pregnant  in late August, then on 9/5 insomnia/anxiety went THROUGH the roof. I tried a lot of things but here is what is current: 

Paroxetine: 6.2mg (began 9/5/18, and there was a new manufacturer of which I just found out 2 days ago) during the day

Olanzapine 7.5mg at night

Ambien: 5-10mg at night

Xanex: 5-10mg at night

Fish Oil: for prenatal things

• Aug '18: Paroxetine 6.6mg, (30mg thyroid hormone, fish oil, vit D3, SBI protect, probiotic. Following AIP diet)
  • Mar '16: began taper from 20mg. Decreasing .75mg or less each month or more. Sporadically used Ambien &/or Trazodone for insomnia. 
  •  Sep'15: tried to come off slower. Used fish oil, vit D3, and regular exercise/healthy diet to assist. (Taper sched= 18mg for 60days, 15mg for 60d, 10mg for 30d, 8mg for 30d) At my 3rd week of 8mg in Nov '15, insomnia and panic attacks began. Back up to 20mg after a month of horrible withdrawal. 
  • Oct'12-Sep'15: 20mg Paxil
  • Sep'12: 1st attempt to get off, naively tried cold turkey per Dr. suggestion. Couldn't work for 2 months. Another Doc upped dose to 20mg.
  • Jun '09-Aug '12: 10mg Paxil for severe insomnia due to anxiety. Also took Ambien/Trazodone for sleep.  Other meds taken sporadically: Ativan, Abilify, Xyrem 

My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness. 

Sounds like you have a great plan.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 2 months later...

An update: 

After a few weeks on 15mg I feel fine. Minor things started when I dropped to 15 from 15.5- experienced a bit of anxiety and some nausea randomly. 

Now I have no anxiety and still random nausea, but super rare. The weird thing is that my appetite has diminished quite a bit. I've lost some weight too, but it is most likely due to my restricted diet... no gluten or dairy is limiting what crap I can put in my mouth :) Yay for some lbs dropping!

I had weird insomnia Sunday night. The night before that I slept soooo long and well. Monday I didn't even feel exhausted even though I only got 3 hours! I was up til 1am reading. Hmm.  It resolved the next night so I am grateful. 

Glad to be holding on 15 until February.

Sep '18 - became pregnant  in late August, then on 9/5 insomnia/anxiety went THROUGH the roof. I tried a lot of things but here is what is current: 

Paroxetine: 6.2mg (began 9/5/18, and there was a new manufacturer of which I just found out 2 days ago) during the day

• Aug '18: Paroxetine 6.6mg, (30mg thyroid hormone, fish oil, vit D3, SBI protect, probiotic. Following AIP diet)
  • Mar '16: began taper from 20mg. Decreasing .75mg or less each month or more. Sporadically used Ambien &/or Trazodone for insomnia. 
  •  Sep'15: tried to come off slower. Used fish oil, vit D3, and regular exercise/healthy diet to assist. (Taper sched= 18mg for 60days, 15mg for 60d, 10mg for 30d, 8mg for 30d) At my 3rd week of 8mg in Nov '15, insomnia and panic attacks began. Back up to 20mg after a month of horrible withdrawal. 
  • Sep'12: 1st attempt to get off, naively tried cold turkey per Dr. suggestion. Couldn't work for 2 months. Another Doc upped dose to 20mg.
  • Jun '09-Aug '12: 10mg Paxil for severe insomnia due to anxiety. Also took Ambien/Trazodone for sleep.  Other meds taken sporadically: Ativan, Abilify, Xyrem 

Just kidding I do have some anxiety :) Spoke too soon. Magnesium Taurate seems to help at night though. 

• 2 months later...

I am still working on my very slow taper, but I had a question about a drop. Do y'all think going from 11mg to 10mg is too large of a drop? My usual taper decreases are by .5mg every 30 days until I get to 10mg. Since I am staying at 10mg for 6 months at least, I thought maybe I would go from 11 to 10mg (a 9% decrease) instead of 11 to 10.5 and then to 10. Basically, I want to cut a month out of my taper. 

thoughts?? I am getting my doses compounded at a pharmacy so it is not something I can switch easily once I decide. Pretty expensive :( I welcome any and all feedback. 

Thanks!!

• Moderator Emeritus

How have you been handling the 0.5mg drops?  If there's been no trouble, then you would probably be okay with a 9% drop.  But if the 0.5mg drops had already been difficult in any way then I wouldn't suggest increasing the reduction.

Good to hear you are having a 6 month hold.  I recently did an 8 month hold and it made things so much better for me.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Karen! Hope you're doing well still! I have been mostly fine with the .5 drops, a few sleepless nights here and there and some anxiety, but nothing to prevent me from functioning. 90% of the time I feel normal and good. Thank you for the advice! I may wait to see how I am feeling after a few more .5 reductions. 

Currently at 15mg for 1 more month, so I have time to make the decision. I'm glad you did an 8 month hold - what amount did you hold on? 

• Moderator Emeritus

I was (and am) still on quite a high dose.  When I held I had got down to about 85% of my original dose.  Slow, but it's doable. 

It does sound like would cope with the 9% reduction.  I like how careful you are being with the whole process.  This is the way! 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided after 4 months on 15mg to drop to 14mg instead of 14.5. It was still significantly less than 10% drop so I felt okay about it. After 2 days in I am having sleep issues and feeling emotional. I resorted back to Trazodone and Ambien for help - I HAVE to go to work. I feel I let myself down but I have to get through this. I am taking lowest possible dose of sleep meds and being very careful. 

I know it usually resolves itself after a week - praying this is the case! Thanks for listening anyone who drops by. 

Hi Meg-- I'm sorry to hear that your last drop is hitting you so hard. I found the 14mg to 11mg range to be a bit of a problem with stronger than usual reactions to each drop.  Also taking the entire 10% (9.33% IYC) drop all at once will cause the symptoms to hit very strongly also.  I totally understand having to remain functional during WD, it can be a real challenge. Might I suggest that you consider trying a Brassmonkey Slide. It would involve doing 2.5% drops each week for 4 weeks and then holding an additional 2 weeks. This in effect gives you a 10% drop every 6 weeks and really cuts down the severity of the symptoms.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hey Brass! It isn't too bad and I think is resolving even now. I thought about doing that microtaper, but the thing is I get my medication compounded into doses for any length of time. Cutting pills or liquid is so intimidating. How do you do it??

Hi Meg-- I can see that, if you're getting the meds compounded it kinda ties you in.  If things are resolving then that's great.  Maybe you can work out a pattern so you know what to expect and when. I've been cutting the pill the entire taper.  I've done that sort of thing all my life so it's no problem.  As  a research engineer I had to do a lot of measuring and mixing of all sorts of things and be accountable for the numbers and materials.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hey meg

Just wanted to agree with what Brass is saying the 14- 11 mg range can be a tricky one to get through.

As i read this i'm reminded of a member 'Junior' who had trouble at 13mg.

Be careful out there.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thank you both for your input! I will be careful to watch during these next few drops. I thought it would only get rougher below 10% but there is much I don't know :) Brass, did you encapsulate your crushed tablet amounts or just take with water? It does cost quite a pretty penny to get meds compounded so I would like to do my own measurements. Also, could y'all take a look at my updated taper plan? I'd love advice! Am trying to figure out how to add an attachment...

• Moderator Emeritus

Just below the post box there is "More Reply Options".  Click on that then you can "Browse", "Attach This File" and "Add Attachment to Post".

Each member has a set total amount they can upload.  If your file is too big you can convert it to a PDF, or save it as a JPEG.  If your program can't do those there are some free converters online.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Okay here is my updated taper plan attached - anyone who wants to weigh in is welcome!! Yes, I color coded it :) Pretending it's not the worst thing ever. 

PT.xlsx

When I bought my scales I also got a bag of 1000 "0" gel caps. I crush my tablets and weigh out the powder and put it into the gel caps. That way I can make up a week or so doses at one time.  I found the raw powder to taste really nasty, but I have sprinkled it on my morning OJ if I happen to run out of caps.

Hi megb, I read your intro. It's your third attempt to get off paxil. In your 2nd attempt in your signature I noticed you dropped from 18mg to 15mg ,that's 16,6% close to 17% , that is 7% more than the recommended 10% reduction from the previous dose. . I'm on paxil too since Jun 2015 and to let you know I followed the 10% rule in my paxil taper .Now I'm on 1mg after 1,5 years with no withdrawal . I dropped from 10mg to 1mg with no withdrawal because I was very carefull with the drops, Friendly advice do not skip doses and don't look at the calendar 20days,hold on the dose longer if you have to You don't have to hold 4 and 6 months at 15mg and10mg, I hold for 35 days at 3mg, If my english is annoying forgive me as I'm not a native english speaker. Good luck.

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

Thanks Miko, when I did my 2nd attempt I didn't know about the 10% rule. Thank heaven for this group!! Now that I am on my 3rd attempt I am holding longer and decreasing slower. I still plan to do very long holds at certain doses to gauge my progress and let my system stabilize/rest. I think it can be beneficial to let our brains catch up after so much change by tapering. Good luck to you too!

• 2 weeks later...

Note to self: dropping 1 mg from 15 to 14 took a little while longer to resolve than a .5 drop. Had to go back on sleep meds :( Trying my best to use as little as possible. Instead of dropping from 14 to 13 as I planned, I am doing 13.5 for 50 days to stabilize and care for myself. Hopefully that will be better!! Fingers crossed. These guessing games are not fun but a reminder to all that we are trying our best and it will eventually end. 

WE CAN DO THIS. #warriors

MegB,

Be careful about adding trazodone.  You may have to taper off it if used frequently enough.  Nip it in the bud while you can.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

Survivor, thanks! I have been taking it for some time so I will indeed have to taper it. Not looking forward to it but only on 12.5mg so hopefully not too bad...

I plan to politely harass GSK (creators of Paxil/paroxetine) on Twitter which I joined solely to do so :) Follow me at Off2theLuWithYa

I'm going down to 13.5mg this Friday - wish me luck!! I will stay there for 50 days to stabilize. Decided not to do a full 1mg drop again since it took a bit of time to recover. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Good luck, Meg, and let us know how it goes! 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• 2 weeks later...

It has been 5 days into my drop to 13.5mg and (hopefully not speaking too soon) I feel just fine! MUCH better than when I went to 14mg. I am taking approx. 1-2mg Ambien and like 6-8mg Trazodone at night for sleep. I take the Paxil during the day at 4pm-ish. 

I don't plan to change anything right now except to hop off the ambien in a couple days. The weather has been very nice here, which is a great mood booster :) 

Hi Meg-- very glad to hear that you're doing better.  I see from your signature that you took the Ambien back in 2012 but no other mention.  How long have you been taking it?  If it's been more than a few weeks then you really should taper it and not just "hop off".

Brassmonkey

Brass, you're right I didn't put that down anywhere else. Ambien, along with Trazodone, I have used on and off for periods of sleeplessness. I don't put every time because it would be for a few days or a week at most. This time has been a couple months. Usually, hopping off Ambien does nothing to me, and I have been tapering from 5mg. 

I plan to be very careful I promise :) During withdrawal my #1 symptom is horrible insomnia and a combo of a low dose of Ambien and Trazodone help get me rest until I can manage. Wish I could fast-forward a few years sometimes...

but you are proof it can be done!!

OK, just pay attention to what your body is saying and stay safe.

4 days off Ambien and still sleeping well! I mean besides the crayzay dreams and some nightsweats (thanks Paxil). I adore having crazy dreams because that means I am SLEEPING! This drop in dose has been by far the easiest - I wonder why? I plan to stay on 13.5 for 50 days. My stomach felt awful yesterday and I wonder if it is because I had like 1/4 glass of wine... I never drink and now alcohol is irritating to my system. Not a big loss honestly :) Is that common? Hope everyone else is doing well!! 

Hi megb! Wanted to write more, but I will be late for work - but I certainly can't handle anything over a few mouthfuls of alcohol and haven't for years, I worked in the wine industry for years prior to paxil and so drank constantly (in small quantities mind you). I'd never really linked it to the paxil, but interesting you've made the link because I definitely have had that experience.

xxmolly

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

The last few nights have been so weird. I can't fall asleep until after 3-5am and only get a few hours but I don't feel terribly exhausted. What.the.What. 

Nothing has really changed except for adding a probiotic at night, which I have a hard time believing would disrupt sleep. I don't feel anxious or anything; maybe a delayed withdrawal from my drop 2.5 weeks ago? 

Entry for myself: 

I keep feeling like I needed to taper Trazodone all the way so I would only be on one AD. Could I develop serotonin syndrome on 8mg Traz and 13.5mg Paxil? Maybe. All I know is it is getting harder and harder to taper Traz so I should exit while still can.

I used no meds to sleep last Thursday night -  wooot! I literally forgot and only took a melatonin. I was off Ambien for over a week so I added a few mg of that and Melatonin to help me sleep the other days bc the next night I didn't fall asleep til after 6am. Symptoms include only had slight nausea yesterday for 10 minutes. 5 days of no Traz and I feel good. I hopped off at 2-3mg (hard to tell since I was just cutting the pill.) 

Will taper the Ambien in a few more days. 

Megb,

Trazodone could have a delayed wd (it did for me).  I would try to survive any insomnia for at least a month (without ambien), then you may start to see improvement.  How long have you been using low dose trazodone?  8-12 mg would not touch my insomnia!

Good luck!

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

I have been on a low dose on and off since Jan. We shall see! Thanks for your advice i will keep on the lookout for WD symptoms! Hope you are doing well!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in a really good window for at least 3 weeks now :) I even traveled to see my sister and new nephew (who is the most precious being EVER) across the country and slept decently! This is huge! I have also continued to stay off Trazodone and have only been taking 1.5mg Melatonin at night for the last 5 days.

Still debating the next drop... to 12.5 or 13? hmmmm... I tolerated dropping from 14 to 13.5 well but not so much 15 to 14. I should probably go slow and do a .5 drop, but my heart wants to get off this crap faster.