If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

megb: 3rd time attempt to get off Paxil

tapering Paxil Paroxetine withdrawal

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#73 Survivor1

Survivor1

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

Hey Meg,

Don't hurry, it's not worth it.  You're at the end.  make small drops (can do them more frequently) instead of large.  And great news about the sleep!  

All the best.

Klonopin: June 2014 - Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, withdrawal hellish

Naturethroid: 65 mcg

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 25 mg alternate nights; July 25-30, 12mg most nights; Sept 1-12, no more than 10 mg for 7 nights. D/C Sept 12.  Severe wd., Dec 7  reinstate 2 mg, Dec 15 updosed to 5mg (not 10 mg as in post dated 12/12)

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d Sx after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 25 mg; 08/03/16 50mg;  10/01/16 62mg. 03/24/17 Began taper due to serotonin toxicity: 52mg

Mirtazepine: Nov 14 -17,2016 2.5mg; Nov 18-26 1.5mg to fight sedation; Nov 27-Dec 3  2.0 mg, Dec 4 updosed to 2.5, Dec 12 down to 2 mg again because of suspected serotonin syndrome (false alarm), upped again to 2.4 mg Dec 19 since withdrawal was fiercer than ever. Revised: 03/24/17 Serotonin toxicity NOT false alarm after all!  

Supplements: Fish oil and multivitamin

Synopsis:   Psych meds as of 12/19/2016 - Seroquel 5mg; Mirtazepine 2.4mg, Trazodone 62.5mg

03/24/17:  Began tapering traz - 52mg;  intense wd sxs by week 5

#74 brassmonkey

brassmonkey

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,489 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Hi Meg-- I'm glad to hear that things are going so well at the moment. Please don't give in to the temptation to speed things up, it will end up causing problems in the long run.  The dose range you're entering 14-10mg has been a tough one for many people and needs to be handled carefully.  I don't see a need to really slow things down any, but a different approach to your drops might prove helpful.  I am a huge fan of the Brassmonkey Slide Method because I've seen how well it works for a lot of people.  I suggest that you give it a try.  I think the standard slide of 2.5% a week for four weeks and then an additional two week hold should work quite well for you.  I makes the symptoms from each drop even more manageable and gives the added benefit of making weekly decreases so it feels like you're being more proactive in getting the stuff "out of your system".  If 2.5% (10% per slide) seems too large a cut then 1.25% (5% per slide) a week is very workable too. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mg it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

#75 megb

megb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for the reality check y'all! I will continue to drop small in increments. I might do a slide but I am SO worried about accuracy... it's a big time commitment. How do you make sure it's correct every time??

• Jun '09-Aug '12: 10mg Paxil for severe insomnia due to anxiety. Also took Ambien/Trazodone for sleep.  
  • Sep'12: 1st attempt to get off, naively tried cold turkey per Dr. suggestion. Couldn't work for 2 months. Another Doc upped dose to 20mg.
  • Oct'12-Sep'15: 20mg Paxil
  • Sep'15: tried to come off slower. Used fish oil, vit D3, and regular exercise/healthy diet to assist. (Taper sched= 18mg for 60days, 15mg for 60d, 10mg for 30d, 8mg for 30d) At my 3rd week of 8mg in Nov '15, insomnia and panic attacks began. Back up to 20mg after a month of horrible withdrawal. 
  • Mar '16: began taper from 20mg. Decreasing .5mg or less each month. Sporadically using Ambien &/or Trazodone for bad insomnia. 

May' 17: 12.75mg Paxil, Westhroid, fish oil, vit D3, tumeric, and Melatonin as needed for sleep. Gluten-free & dairy free.  

My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness. 

#76 Miko789

Miko789

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Locationnone

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

Hi Meg,

glad to hear that  you are doing well. How do you make reductions ? To measure liquid If you use  1ml syringe then every 0.1ml has concetration.1 mg.  Paxil liquid (prexat) has 10mg/1ml

All the best.

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013 Started zyprexa 15mg, Risperdal consta 3,33mg/day for nearly 19months
2015 from March 2015 Taper off risperdal to 1,66mg/day (long acting injection) for 4 months
02/15-started seroxat 10mg/day

03/16  Seroxat 3mg/day, Zyprexa 10mg, Risperdal consta 1,66mg

06/16 Seroxat 3mg/day, Zyprexa 5mg, Risperdal consta 2,5mg

09/16 Seroxat 2,7mg,Zypr. 5mg, Consta 2,5mg

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,Zyprexa 5mg,Risperdal Consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,Zyprexa 5mg,Risperdal consta 25mg/every 15days

Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 20th Jan 2017

taking omega 3 fish oil,B6,ashwagandha.and melatonin 1mg

#77 megb

megb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

Hi Miko, I don't make the reductions myself. Right now I use a compound pharmacy to make all my doses. I'd like to avoid liquid if I can and use crushed pills; the only reason is that I've seen many folks mention they absorb the liquid much faster and have trouble adjusting to it. 

Do you use liquid? I see you are on Paxil as well and at a very low dose, well done!!

• Jun '09-Aug '12: 10mg Paxil for severe insomnia due to anxiety. Also took Ambien/Trazodone for sleep.  
  • Sep'12: 1st attempt to get off, naively tried cold turkey per Dr. suggestion. Couldn't work for 2 months. Another Doc upped dose to 20mg.
  • Sep'15: tried to come off slower. Used fish oil, vit D3, and regular exercise/healthy diet to assist. (Taper sched= 18mg for 60days, 15mg for 60d, 10mg for 30d, 8mg for 30d) At my 3rd week of 8mg in Nov '15, insomnia and panic attacks began. Back up to 20mg after a month of horrible withdrawal. 
  • Mar '16: began taper from 20mg. Decreasing .5mg or less each month. Sporadically using Ambien &/or Trazodone for bad insomnia. 

May' 17: 12.75mg Paxil, Westhroid, fish oil, vit D3, tumeric, and Melatonin as needed for sleep. Gluten-free & dairy free.  

#78 SkyBlue

SkyBlue

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, U.S.

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

Hi Meg!

I'm tapering Paxil as well. You asked about accuracy -- I know a lot of people use a digital scale, and there are recommendations on this site for brands that people find effective. They crush up the tablets and weigh them out. 

I am using liquid and have been for a year and a half. I can decrease whenever I need to and the flexibility has been really important. 

Looks like you're down to 12.75 -- that is great! Keep up the great work. :)

Long story short: After 18 years on Paxil, "tapered" in July 2015 from 20 to 10 to 5 mg in a month, at doctor's advice. = Essentially a cold-turkey.

*Current*: March: 0.82 mg Paxil. Jan 1:  .88 mg, baby!! …. August 31: Less than 1mg Paxil! ... July 30: 1 mg Paxil! ! ! And 100 mg Zoloft unfortunately!!  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Paxil since 1996--anxiety & depression likely caused by (then-undiagnosed) under-eating / eating disorder. 

Rapid "taper" July 2015 and started Zoloft as a "cross-taper". Feb 2016: Found SA!! As of June 2016: Doing 2% cuts (Brassmonkey Slide!). 

Now: fish oil, magnesium; protein; exercise; healthy fats; acupuncture, meditation, & a new doctor.  I am in recovery from an eating disorder!!!  ***Have you had a sleep study?***    *Feel free to message me if I don't respond to a forum thread.* 

#79 megb

megb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

I've noticed as I decrease I am more and more emotional the week before my period hits. Last night I felt super annoyed at EVERYTHING. Literally I could not even make dinner without being upset I had to open certain ingredients...WHAT. I told my husband I was super sorry but I needed to have a moment. Later, I was watching a touching TV show and started bawling at a certain part. Could not get it together! Luckily it was a good moment to grieve for my dad and I did so for a good 30 minutes. Crying is so therapeutic! 

I felt much better after that cry-sesh :) I do enjoy feeling more emotion. Will have to remember that when I feel over the top annoyed it might be because I need to let out a little more feelings! 

This drop to 12.75 has gone well, so I think next I will drop to 12mg. Very grateful. 

#80 MollyN

MollyN

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

LOL I share this! Last time, I was sitting at the table with the family eating dinner and suddenly all I could hear was their loud chewing!! I announce they were too loud and flounced off to sit on the couch by myself to eat... I'm pretty sure they were all eating at the same volume as normal.... lol

Hello  :)

• Prescribed paroxetine 20mg (Paxil) in 2001 for 'prenatal depression' - and again in 2003 - withdrew just fine 2 mths later. 
  • Prescribed  paroxetine 20mg (Paxil) in 2008 for PTSD (domestic violence)
  • Went cold turkey - I didn't know better (disaster!!!!! - prescribed more terrible drugs to control first lot of terrible drugs (but luckily I threw them in the bin )
  • So I stayed on 20mg  out of fear! I don't want to be the mean crazy person I am when I stop it.
  • March 2014 started 'Willy-nilly Cut Sliver off the side' approach to withdrawal - thank goodness for this site - stopped that.
  • Dropped from 15mg to 10mg in Jan 2015 - horrible - too fast = mean & crazy.
  • Eventually stabilised and stayed at 10mg for 8 months.
  • Stupidly dropped again by 50% (don't do this my darlings!) Sept 2015 reduced from 10mg to 5mg = mean & crazy, sad & desperate.
  • Updosed to 6mg (=6ml) 14 Oct '15. hold 1 mth
  • 6ml - 5ml drop 14 Nov 15. hold 1 mth
  • 5ml - 4,8ml 9 Dec '15 (going to take this nice 'n steady on the low doses) (please send me cyber kicks if you see any sudden 1ml drops!)

Presently: One day I simply had enough and stopped taking it, after 8 years. Didn't get my usual horrid side effects, which was extraordinary.  Now about 8 mths (April 2017) off the drug altogether.  Mostly I notice my memory is extremely poor. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tapering, Paxil, Paroxetine, withdrawal