SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hello. I need some info on a procedure i found out works for my situation. I am taking Carbamazepine ( or Tegretol ) every third day ( when at work ) to cope with stressful situations. I read about everywhere it needs to be taken each day, but i feel not to take it that often. I control my anxiety at home, but at performing my job my emotions seem to overwhelm me, so i take this drug. I feel fine and in the evening i don't feel depressed any longer while at work ( i used to become very depressed in the evening due to staying late; these are the requierements of the job ).  I started taking Carbamazepine so i don't feel the need of any benzo ( they ask for higher and higher doses to be taken to work every time, which is nuisance ). Is it possible to continue taking Carbamazepine every third day and be safe? What are the risks of this way of dealing with this situation ?

Edited by JanCarol
Admin - highlight drugs

1999-Zyprexa 5 mg, then 10 mg until 2013,little Haldol for short;Zyprexa with on and off periods, horrid withdrawal and back on,sometimes added Escitalopram(Cipralex)20 mg;2013-Risperidone 3ml,Depakine 300 mg,Escitalopram 20 mg,Levomepromazine 1 mg;at need Clonazepam(Rivotril) 0,5 mg;october 2014-2015 Risperidone 3ml,Mirtazapine-7,5 mg,Escitalopram-20 mg;2015-Risperidone 2 ml,Mirtazapine-3,75 mg, Escitalopram- tapered during the year;

may 2015(started work)-added Clonazepam 0,5 mg every third day;december 2015-Risperidone 1,5 ml,Mirtazapine 3,75,Escitalopram 5 mg;Clonazepam-increased dosage to 2 mg;

December 2015 until January 2016 added Carbamazepine 600 mg and gave up Clonazepam until March 2016-Risperidone 1,35 ml, Mirtazapine 3,75 every second and third day(schedule of tapering),Escitalopram-0mg,Clonazepam for a week every third day, then reintroduced Carbamazepine 400 mg for a week, then stopped Carbamazepine.

Since the beginning of april 2016 taking Risperidone 1,30 ml, Mirtazapine 0 mg for five days, 1,87 mg for two days, then turned to 3,75 mg every night, Clonazepam 0,5 mg .

April 27 - upped Risperidone to 2 ml and Mirtazapine to 7,5 mg to bear with the lack of Escitalopram that caused huge anxiety, Clonazepam 1 mg every third day. May to November 2016: Risperidone 1,50 ml(tapering from 2ml, started the taper may 2016); Mirtazapine:3,75 mg(tapered from 7,5 mg, started the taper may 2016); Clonazepam 0 mg(started the taper from 0,33 mg daily).January 2017: Risperidone 1,40 ml(tapering every 4 weeks); Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(tapering to 1,87 mg), Clonazepam(10 days): 0,5mg-0,5mg-1 mg. 4 mg/day for 3 days.January 19: added 200 mg Carbamazepine/day(for 3 days), off Clonazepam.February 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(1,87 mg 3 nights/week), Buspirone 2 x 5mg(3 days,then stopped), Clonazepam occasionally (every third day usually 0,5 mg or 1 mg,hopefully I will stop); March 24th 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg(0 mg every 3rd day); Anafranil 25 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg. April 18th 2017: Risperidone 1,30 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg; Anafranil stop.May 6th 2017-present: Risperidone 1,30 ml.

Supplements: Omega 3,Magnesium, Lavender (occasionally), Pramiracetam, Choline, A combo of Lemon balm and St John's wort.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Delia

• savinggrace

• scallywag

• Brandy

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Welcome, Delia.

I moved your post to the Introductions forum to start your Introductions topic, where you can post about your progress off psychiatric drugs.

As this is a site for going off psychiatric drugs, we don't usually council people about the best way to take drugs. You will have to ask a doctor about the risks of taking carbamazepine occasionally.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Delia,

Maybe it's time to be learning some non-drug coping skills:

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hello again. I must inform you that taking carbamazepine every third day didn't seem to work that well in the end, specifically it made life harder in the off days, therefore i am taking it every day now, but i intend to do this for a while to cope with the withdrawal felt by the lack of escitallopram, the med i succeded to get off of. I know it might seem weird to put myself on another drug to compensate, but i prefer this one to escitalopram as it helps me perform my job. I only chose something better for a while. Of course, i am feeling the side effects of carbamazepine, which to me are nausea and fatigue, but the calmness makes me patient, which is very important to me as i am at my core a restless person. If one has an advice or idea about how to cure anxiety and rumination without drugs, i would be so happy to learn about this, actually that is what i am searching so much for.

Edited by JanCarol
Admin: highlight symptoms withdrawal

1999-Zyprexa 5 mg, then 10 mg until 2013,little Haldol for short;Zyprexa with on and off periods, horrid withdrawal and back on,sometimes added Escitalopram(Cipralex)20 mg;2013-Risperidone 3ml,Depakine 300 mg,Escitalopram 20 mg,Levomepromazine 1 mg;at need Clonazepam(Rivotril) 0,5 mg;october 2014-2015 Risperidone 3ml,Mirtazapine-7,5 mg,Escitalopram-20 mg;2015-Risperidone 2 ml,Mirtazapine-3,75 mg, Escitalopram- tapered during the year;

may 2015(started work)-added Clonazepam 0,5 mg every third day;december 2015-Risperidone 1,5 ml,Mirtazapine 3,75,Escitalopram 5 mg;Clonazepam-increased dosage to 2 mg;

December 2015 until January 2016 added Carbamazepine 600 mg and gave up Clonazepam until March 2016-Risperidone 1,35 ml, Mirtazapine 3,75 every second and third day(schedule of tapering),Escitalopram-0mg,Clonazepam for a week every third day, then reintroduced Carbamazepine 400 mg for a week, then stopped Carbamazepine.

Since the beginning of april 2016 taking Risperidone 1,30 ml, Mirtazapine 0 mg for five days, 1,87 mg for two days, then turned to 3,75 mg every night, Clonazepam 0,5 mg .

April 27 - upped Risperidone to 2 ml and Mirtazapine to 7,5 mg to bear with the lack of Escitalopram that caused huge anxiety, Clonazepam 1 mg every third day. May to November 2016: Risperidone 1,50 ml(tapering from 2ml, started the taper may 2016); Mirtazapine:3,75 mg(tapered from 7,5 mg, started the taper may 2016); Clonazepam 0 mg(started the taper from 0,33 mg daily).January 2017: Risperidone 1,40 ml(tapering every 4 weeks); Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(tapering to 1,87 mg), Clonazepam(10 days): 0,5mg-0,5mg-1 mg. 4 mg/day for 3 days.January 19: added 200 mg Carbamazepine/day(for 3 days), off Clonazepam.February 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(1,87 mg 3 nights/week), Buspirone 2 x 5mg(3 days,then stopped), Clonazepam occasionally (every third day usually 0,5 mg or 1 mg,hopefully I will stop); March 24th 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg(0 mg every 3rd day); Anafranil 25 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg. April 18th 2017: Risperidone 1,30 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg; Anafranil stop.May 6th 2017-present: Risperidone 1,30 ml.

Supplements: Omega 3,Magnesium, Lavender (occasionally), Pramiracetam, Choline, A combo of Lemon balm and St John's wort.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good move Delia ,   your central nervous system will thank you for the stability.

What dose were you taking every 3rd day?   What dose are you taking daily now?

You will need to lower the dose , or you're suddenly taking three times as much as you were !!

If you let us know the strength of your tablets , we can help you work out how to get a smaller dose.

" If one has an advice or idea about how to cure anxiety and rumination without drugs, i would be so happy to learn about this, actually that is what i am searching so much for."

Did you check out Dr Claire Weekes yet in the link ChessieCat gave you above?

bw ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hello. I am currently taking two doses, 200 mg each, so 400 mg/day. I am also afraid of having to increase the dose as i kind of started to feel the unsteadiness the last part of the day ( i take the doses in the morning and the afternoon ). If it wasn't for my job, i wouldn't take any of these two, I would bare. I started to feel even more nauseaus and i am having indigestions after every meal, very hurtful. It is quite hard, but i keep this on because it's the only way ( beside Clonazepam which i stopped ) i don't tremble of nervousness or i don't get angry easily. It's either benzo or this. Anyway, I am seeing my doctor next week and hope she doesn't try to convince me again for Depakene which i know and can't handle at all ( it blocks me from doing anything literally ). I wish there was another option with less side effects. I tried to stay off benzo and carbamazepine, being myself, so i discover the sensitiveness on the edge almost continously. I also remembered myself as a teenager before getting to take any medication, and i used to be truly sensitive ruminating everything and getting upset easily which caused my imagination to wander.

I couldn't access the link i received. I will try again. Thank you.

Edited by JanCarol
Admin: highlight drugs; purple are past use

Hi Delia-- I'm so glad that this is working for you.  When you were taking it every third day were you also taking 400mg each time?  When you take these drugs they go into the blood at a high concentration which will decrease over the next several days.  The next time you take them you have the new high concentration plus what is left over from the last time.  Over several times this averages out to what we call "steady state" which means that there is the same amount of drug in the blood at all times. This is very important to avoid symptoms. If you take 400mg every three days that average will be fairly low and your body will react in a certain way to it.  If you take 400mg every day that average will be a lot higher and your body will react differently.  If you went from taking 400mg every third day to taking 400mg every day that will give your body much more drug than it is use to and could cause symptoms like the nausea and indigestion and maybe others that haven't shown up yet.

If you were taking 400mg every third day then you should be taking 130mg every day to keep the same amount of drug steady state in your blood and avoid unnecessary symptoms.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I accessed the link and found the talks of dr Weekes, I started to listen the first one, got to 6 minutes. I must say it is wonderful, but due to the fact that i have been suffering from anxiety since a small child, I wonder if  I will find a way there to come out of this state nevertheless. What could have triggered this knowing though i had a natural childhood and still the high sensitiveness got stuck on me, not on my brother also. There are many questions and for sure very simple answers i haven't found yet and hope i am about to. 

"If you were taking 400mg every third day then you should be taking 130mg every day to keep the same amount of drug steady state in your blood and avoid unnecessary symptoms."'

Hello. I was taking 200 mg every third day, then 400 mg still every third day, for about two weeks in total. Then I switched some days ago. But i am confronting the anxiety returning if i don't take the second 200 mg dose, so i have to and today is the first day i feel like the third dose might be possible in the future ( so long as i handle the side effects ). At the moment I am at work and i feel pretty sad and tense, although i have no reason whatsoever and i am aware of that.

Edited by JanCarol
Admin: highlight drug changes

Hi Delia,

Maybe it's time to be learning some non-drug coping skills:

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

Thank you for this. I am listening and i find it very useful, starting to believe it can be done.

• Moderator Emeritus

Is it an option to arrange for some time off work until you feel more settled?

It's a real shame to try to cope by adding a third 200mg dose each day.   Now that you're taking some daily , you should feel some improvement over the next week.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Forgive me if you've told us this and I didn't see it, but could you tell us more about the clonazepam you used?

I read that you stopped taking it. When did you stop taking it, and how long were you taking it before you stopped? Also, what dosage clonazepam were you taking and how often? (Regularly or just occasionally? - and if on a fairly regular basis, how often?)

It would be helpful to us in advising you, if you could make a list of all the medications you've taken for these conditions, with the dates you started and stopped taking each, the dosage, etc. That list could be your signature that will appear on every post here. If you need help learning how to create a signature, you can just put the list in a post here in your thread, and we'll be glad to help you make the list your signature.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Brandy , good point.

Delia , instructions for filling in your signature are here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Please include ALL meds , dates and dosages as best you can.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I completed the signature and hope it will show with this post.

It is not an option getting off work for the moment. My inner plans are to restart study and change the type of job so I can work from home, but at the moment I don't have this possibility.

Therefore I am thinking of addind Piracetam to the meds I am taking, hoping it might help my memory and probably focus. Has someone taken Piracetam and Carbamazepine at the same time?

I will hold myself from adding the third 200 mg dose of Carbamazepine. I agree it is not a good idea as I am thinking it will only make me too confused at one point.

Today the nausea took a break, strange thing.

Last night I listened to dr Weekes audio on anxiety and depression and loved it. I still care too much about not trembling in front of others and I see this flaw as a major failure if happens during an important event or at work, it is a fear I don't believe I can let manifest.I will listen again though.

The way I feel this morning, tense and nauseaus, is how I feel all mornings lately and trying to figure out what is to be done for this to change into better. I remember myself to be aware that I am also in withdrawal from reducing the drugs I've been taking during the years. Sometimes I feel I am taking carbamazepine without actually needing until I feel it kicking in with the feeling of being spaced out and somehow drugged in a "positive'" way as I don't feel fear of the outside world, only the physical discomfort, but it doesn't make me happy at all due to its side effects and by making me "eat" words and the almost impossible to live with tireness, the second reason I stopped taking it in January,as they were three: nausea, fatigue and missing words(causing poor memory).

I don't know if I can talk abot this, but I once found a way to cope with anxiety at work using two tools and not taking carbamazepine or Clonazepam. The only thing that made me stop that way is foolish, is because I felt it a very controlled manner to keep myself stable, but then I was succeeding to work with myself, to convince myself and to actually be content about my state I was gaining. It only happened if I gave up coffee completely (could use green tea though there times a day) and by adding passiflora. Simple and pretty useful and I am scared to be so natural again, as not drinking coffee at work when it comes to yawning makes it difficult and pretty insecure. But at the first sip all  tranquility gone, need of antianxety meds right way.

Between 2006-2013 I didn't consume coffee, I used to take strong energizing pills with zyprexa which I couldn't do any more as my anxiety would go up on the roof. On 2013 I withdrew from zyprexa almost cold turkey and changed medication and gave up my job as I was feeling a panic attack coming and wanted to prevent such sitations at work, but that year in cold withdrawal I did some regretful things which added to the rest of my life's content makes me regret my entire life. I am also a bit religious and I wouldn't want to change my idea about not regretting my life as i am convinced I should have tried to live it differently, though i didn't know how to and i was kept aware almost all the time that all i do is wrong, even from the childhood years. So, i know the flaws of my raising, but also know i am a weak soul which is not to pat on the shoulders until it strengthens...somehow.

I am still open to suggestions on how to (not) control anxiety, but deal with it. I think more measures are needed. I think writing on this forum for the first time (i didn,t dare until now, it came natural a few day ago) is a healthy sign, as i have a distorted view that all i might say or do is more that possibly wrong and unsafe.

Thank you for being here.

• Moderator Emeritus

Delia ,  you just told us how you did it in the past . . . . You can do it this way again !

" I once found a way to cope with anxiety at work using two tools and not taking carbamazepine or Clonazepam. The only thing that made me stop that way is foolish, is because I felt it a very controlled manner to keep myself stable, but then I was succeeding to work with myself, to convince myself and to actually be content about my state I was gaining. It only happened if I gave up coffee completely (could use green tea though there times a day) and by adding passiflora"

" at the first sip (of coffee)  all  tranquility gone, need of antianxety meds right way."

Have you considered stopping caffeine?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hello. Yes, I am thinking about trying again with giving up caffeine. As I said, I gain a good state that must be kept by myself under strict control as it concerns not consuming any caffeine, limiting sugar and having an ordered diet. If I cease one day this control, the anxiety returns and I might find myself uncovered and socially unsafe. The only thing I kept close to caffeine for is the stimulant effect it has on my brain when it is sluggish, also with keeping me awake at need(this second effect I used to solve with much water and apples). I would only give it a try again if I had the determination to give up Carbamazepine and now or very soon, to avoid any withdrawal from it. Also, it consists in a very aware and focused mind on the seriousness of this practice, as I tended to let myself convinced if I cheat it won't happen again, but of course not keeping the line of my decision it did. Thank you for giving me the urge of trying this method again.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a week since  I don't use any coffee in my diet, replacing it with substitute from cereals which is quite easy to do.My state has improved without trace of Carbamazepine. The third day after I got off completely I felt awfully nauseaus that I couldn't even stand, but that was all. It passed and I am feeling very well. I did something in addition because I received some extra work from my job with deadlines every week, so I am now taking 3,75 mg Mirtazapine every night to cope with stress and depression that comes and goes. It helps with stability also.

• Moderator Emeritus

Delia , what meds. are you taking currently?

Mirtazapine , risperidone , carbamazepine ?

Please update your signature with today's date , so that it's very clear.

Well done for cutting out the caffeine. Your brain and body will thank you.

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hello, thank you, Fresh, for reminding me to update the signature. I am not taking Carbamazepine any longer, I haven't for a week already, and everything has improved once i stopped caffeine altogether. I couldn't have cut out caffeine if the doses of my medication were high as in the past. I can now, as drowsiness is no longer an issue at this level. Thank you for your support!

Edited by JanCarol
Admin: highlight drug changes

Hello. I am at work now and the day started with bringing anxiety back into my life, to a small extent, but enough to feel i can't bear anything any more, so I gave in and took 1 mg Clonazepam. Still didn't touch caffeine, but I don't know where i'm heading if i have to use Clonazepam again in my work days. 

Edited by JanCarol
Admin highlight drug change

I wanted to update my situation, as I am feeling down, depressed and distrustful about future. I am almost contemplating awful thoughts. Don't even want to think about, but nothing seems to matter any more, much less me. I am seeing life unworthy to live or me unworthy of living it, I don't know which is worse or which way to put it in expressing my feeling. Nothing is interesting and people if are not annoying, are only disappointing. I never seem to find comfort or a slight possibility in receiving help from anyone I have around. I even started crying from time to time, I am awfully sad and don't even feel like continuing my job. I am seriously thinking of giving up everything because nothing matters to me or improves my state of mind. It actually worsens everything anything I must do.I seem to do it without a purpose as I don't have any.Inside myself I am screaming for help and everytime I put it outloud I was only given more meds and never got the appropriate help. I can't continue living like this any more, in  unceasing pain, all the time.

Edited by JanCarol
Admin highlight rebound symptoms

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Delia,

Could you please post ALL drugs and doses you are currently taking?  Thank you.  That will help the mods to offer suggestions.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hello,

as I updated I am currently taking 1,30 mg Risperidone and 3,75 mg Mirtazapine every evening and once in a while 1 mg Clonazepam, not daily.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Delia,

Thank you for clarifying your current drugs.

When did you start taking Escitalopram?  When did you last take Escitalopram?  How did you taper this drug?

Escitalopram?? I am off this drug. I have been taking it I guess many years on and off without any taper, only during the last two years I started to taper  from 20 mg to none. The tapering went with 0,5 mg reductions one day per week for two weeks, then two days per week for two weeks and so on. I am not taking it any more in present and don't have the shakes either for not taking it due to proper taper. In the past missing a dose used to cause shakes and red cheeks and ears.

I ceased taking Escitalopram at the beginning of March.

Edited by JanCarol
Admin highlight drug changes

I must also add that I used to need Clonazepam in stressful moments when I was taking full doses of Escitalopram as I need it now when I am off that antidepressant. Escitalopram together with Mirtazapine helped with depression but didn't cure anxiety and fear whatsoever. In the present moment I am outside hopes of getting better, but raising the doses of any drug I am currently taking is out of the question after all the struggle with the taperin. The only solution to counteract Clonazepam addiction and wait for healing to happen in a future moment is to continue the battle outside work, so I decided to quit my job and deal with myself as I can without drugs in the end.

• Administrator

Hello, Delia.

Did your symptom pattern changed when you stopped taking escilatopram in March?

Please read this What is withdrawal syndrome?

It seems you change your drug intake often. Please stop doing this. Please stay on the same drugs, the same dosages, taken at the same times of day, for a good while so you can sort out your symptoms, which could be caused by drugs or drug changes.

Depression is a common side effect of benzos, for example.

What about your job makes you so anxious and fearful? Are you able to work with a therapist on dealing with that?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello. I seemed to respond quite fine suddenly after finishing with Escitalopram, I tapered it slowly. My goal is to escape al medication, that since 2013 I've been taking regularly. I am taking my drugs, just at lower doses with time. I know I must deal with withdrawal, but I don't see a way to deal with extreme anxiety which was present long before starting to taper, even when I used to take full doses of meds. The onlt difference is that restlessness is happenning now much more often than before and my mind can't cope with accepting it, that's why I got to Clonazepam once again, seemingly starting to up dosage to 2 mg ( i.e. yesterday). Last night I felt my brain and my muscles were trembling on the inside and terrible nausea, couldn't control myself. I calmed down after the regular evening dose of Risperidone.Which doesn't prolong itas effect on the entire day as it is low now. My aim is not to take drugs and bear with awful withdrawal, that's why the intention to forget about my job, which is quite a good job. I will start today with a sick leave.

Edited by JanCarol
Admin Highlight Drug Changes & symptoms

Being extremely anxious and fearful since a small child, my job consists in working with people and "million" critical bosses, which make me if not nervous, extremely angry at time( not showing them). It is a beautiful job, but I am insecure about my deadlines as I have to write weekly on three of my boss blogs articles of advertising out of nowhere, something i don't enjoy and my job doesn't consist in doing that, as I am a hotel receptionist, but she continues with trusting in my talent. So, I have to write something about nothing, everytime about the same thing. I love writing, but these subjects are just mocking my mind, as I am mostly writing poems and my favorite subjects are far from the advertising area. I refused once, but she thought it's a strategy to plus with money( which wasn't actually) and felt ashamed, don't know why, to refuse the second time. Besides, my schedule is a shift of 24 H continously with two days off afterwards. Withdrawal, drugs and my emotional issues are obstacles that prevent me from functioning even without having to advertise.  I started to be also sicken about everything around at work. Working with clients is the easiest part, strange thing. The staff is on my nerves as everywhere and now withdrawal, which makes everything impossible, because if i don't take Clonazepam I can't literally stay at work, have to leave everything and "flee" for being sick and anxious.

I still haven't found a capable therapists, they result ridiculous. I couldn't trust a so-called therapists who makes me talk which makes me feel worse, gives me no information and if says something results as amateur, tot ridiculous. I can't afford mentally and financialy such "treatment ".

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Delia, I'm sorry to hear you are struggling.

Alto is very right - you are changing drugs and dosages too much.

There is a delayed reaction to the drugs.  They aren't just like aspirin, they change your brain.  I have a dear friend who is a doctor, and when Prozac first came out, we were both depressed and tried it.  We agreed on the image - it felt like G-d had put a giant finger in my brain and wiggled it around.  The hardest part comes when you pull the finger out (go off the drug) and then there is a hole in your head where G-d's finger used to be.   :(   It's very dangerous to switch drugs like you've been doing.

Please see:  Rhi's description of healing the brain

Also, maybe you will be helped by:  Withdrawal Dialogues - cartoons to encourage you

It takes at least 3 weeks to change your neurons.  Sometimes, when you've been on the drugs for a long time, as you have, you can get delayed responses - 3 months, 6 months, a year or more after changes.  Quitting a drug can cause this delayed reaction - starting a drug can too.  ANY changes you make in your drugs can affect your life 3 or 6 months or more into the future.

While you may have had sensitivity and fear since childhood - much of your anxiety may be from the changes in your drugs over the years.  How old were you when you were first put on the drugs?  

Please stop changing your doses.  Please don't go off "cold turkey."

Stick with the mirtazapine and resperidone and learn to cope without the clonazepam, which is highly addicting, and will only make your anxiety worse.  

The drugs you take can make you sensitive to the very thing you are afraid of.  An anti-anxiety drug (like clonazepam) can make you more sensitive to anxiety - so that when you come "down" from the drug, you can be 2x, 3x, 5x more anxious than if you didn't take it.

You wrote:  

Besides, my schedule is a shift of 24 H continously with two days off afterwards. 

Oh you poor thing!  This is inhumane!  Your poor body clock doesn't know whether you are coming or going, asleep or awake!  I have no idea how to make this schedule healthier, do you?

Now I see why you were taking pills every 3rd day - just to cope with the long shift.  But by the time you had 2 days off, your poor body was going crazy from withdrawals, too!  

I understand what you are saying about therapists, but I do believe you need some kind of support or help.  Who is in your life?  Do you live around your parents?  Have brothers, sisters, friends to talk to?  There is a saying:  sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince - sometimes you have to try a lot of different things to find someone who understands and can help you.  Maybe it would be someone at a church, or a support group?  Maybe you would be helped by volunteering to help others less fortunate?  Or maybe you need to keep trying different counselors until you find something that works for you.

Please keep listening to Claire Weekes.  She has a lot of stuff on the web for you to listen to and read.  She is very wise, and kind, and understands how to live through the worst of anxiety.

Maybe this one will help you, too:  Tolle - Get Rid of Fear and Anxiety

Please take care and let us know how you are going?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you so much for your answer. It helps me a lot understand my situation and my mistakes, but working with high doses of mirtazapine or risperidone is almost impossibile, especially that i am required some creativity at work. That makes everything so hard.I am having my parents, but they only believe in taking the drugs, they don,t understand i ca-n,t function properly this way. Lately i quit Mirtazapine for about a week and i am taking clonazepam 0,5 mg three times a day this week until i se my doctor on monday

I was thinking to tell herpes change mirtazapine with bupropion or something easier to handle, Not to be drowsy at work. I also took some days off from work which is never advisable, but felt really ill. I don,t know what to do any more as last week my doc said to take 15 mg of Mirtazapine instead of 3,75 mg and 2 ml of Risperidone instead of 1,30 ml and added the clonazepam .which would completely change my life and keep me to bed as i,ve been there already. I,m at a loss.I didn,t take mirtazapine at all any more, just risperidone 1,30 and clonazepam 0,5 times a day. In the evening i miei feeling discouraged and hope for depression to stay away.I don,t have people to encourage me and my doctor spends about less than a minute with me.

Edited by JanCarol
Admin: Highlight drug changes

I was first put on drugs in 1999, changing meds,interrupting and continuing, i only remember i was never consistent with the schedule for very long,never knowing the importance,the implications, the risks and dangers of such approaches.

I tried for quite a week to stop Mirtazapine to 0 mg, but since yesterday I decided I should taper for longer as anxiety would barely let me live my off days. So, now I am taking half of 3,75 , which is 1,875 mg Mirtazapine and I actually feel this crumble feeding my brain. That terrible is the prescription drug addiction. I also didn't want to need Clonazepam. There are days I am trying hard not to take it, and I am not. I am using Passiflora in daytime, but little, and Gaba at night. I also started with 5htp at night, as Mirtazapine is low. I hope I didn't break any rule by talking about supplements.