SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

News: I gave up the gym and doing some exercise at home. I also gave up the the therapist. The gym was too tired and it was stealing me the whole day the anxiety of having to go there and the huge tiredness after I finished that I had to go to bed immediately until the next day, when I would be at work for 24 hours. It may be bad or good, but I couldn't find joy in these things taking my time. I need to rest the most part of the day and hope I can gather a schedule to gain more time and energy. I also didn't feel like doing all these things any more, so I said it, I was feeling I am about to give up every second. I have a battle inside, as I don't know what I am supposed to feel about this and why I am not feeling like most people, meaning more determined.

I am also having second thoughts about the job, though I guess it is a long way to get to leave the job. I guess I am upset I can't be a better person and I hang to the tiredness all the time.

1999-Zyprexa 5 mg, then 10 mg until 2013,little Haldol for short;Zyprexa with on and off periods, horrid withdrawal and back on,sometimes added Escitalopram(Cipralex)20 mg;2013-Risperidone 3ml,Depakine 300 mg,Escitalopram 20 mg,Levomepromazine 1 mg;at need Clonazepam(Rivotril) 0,5 mg;october 2014-2015 Risperidone 3ml,Mirtazapine-7,5 mg,Escitalopram-20 mg;2015-Risperidone 2 ml,Mirtazapine-3,75 mg, Escitalopram- tapered during the year;

may 2015(started work)-added Clonazepam 0,5 mg every third day;december 2015-Risperidone 1,5 ml,Mirtazapine 3,75,Escitalopram 5 mg;Clonazepam-increased dosage to 2 mg;

December 2015 until January 2016 added Carbamazepine 600 mg and gave up Clonazepam until March 2016-Risperidone 1,35 ml, Mirtazapine 3,75 every second and third day(schedule of tapering),Escitalopram-0mg,Clonazepam for a week every third day, then reintroduced Carbamazepine 400 mg for a week, then stopped Carbamazepine.

Since the beginning of april 2016 taking Risperidone 1,30 ml, Mirtazapine 0 mg for five days, 1,87 mg for two days, then turned to 3,75 mg every night, Clonazepam 0,5 mg .

April 27 - upped Risperidone to 2 ml and Mirtazapine to 7,5 mg to bear with the lack of Escitalopram that caused huge anxiety, Clonazepam 1 mg every third day. May to November 2016: Risperidone 1,50 ml(tapering from 2ml, started the taper may 2016); Mirtazapine:3,75 mg(tapered from 7,5 mg, started the taper may 2016); Clonazepam 0 mg(started the taper from 0,33 mg daily).January 2017: Risperidone 1,40 ml(tapering every 4 weeks); Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(tapering to 1,87 mg), Clonazepam(10 days): 0,5mg-0,5mg-1 mg. 4 mg/day for 3 days.January 19: added 200 mg Carbamazepine/day(for 3 days), off Clonazepam.February 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(1,87 mg 3 nights/week), Buspirone 2 x 5mg(3 days,then stopped), Clonazepam occasionally (every third day usually 0,5 mg or 1 mg,hopefully I will stop); March 24th 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg(0 mg every 3rd day); Anafranil 25 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg. April 18th 2017: Risperidone 1,30 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg; Anafranil stop.May 6th 2017-present: Risperidone 1,30 ml.

Supplements: Omega 3,Magnesium, Lavender (occasionally), Pramiracetam, Choline, A combo of Lemon balm and St John's wort.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Delia

• savinggrace

• scallywag

• Brandy

Top Posters In This Topic

Delia,

Don't mistake others desperation for determination.  We all feel determined, but we all question ourselves and feel desperate almost daily.  We all doubt our ability to keep going and to do the things we need to do in order to feel better and live life and many of us give up some days and just lie on the couch or in bed.

Try not to be hard on yourself.  I haven't read your thread from the beginning.  What made you want to get off all the drugs?  Were you feeling badly all the time?

Your job is super stressful.  Even if the work itself isn't stressful; the 24 hour on schedule is hard on the healthiest of people.  It makes it so hard for your body to rest.  I have never been able to understand how anybody's body can adjust to that.

Maybe you need to consider a different job again?

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  • currently 2024 still on 98 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

I understand perfectly what you wrote about desperation, it took me the whole day to forgive myself, but I did. I realised that as for as long as Increasing am on Mirtazapine I cannot do but light exercise to preserve my energy and doing so much really didn't make me feel better.

I want to get off the drugs because I never felt good being on them, I lost so much in life because of this mistake. Sometimes it tempts me to leave responsibility away and do this cold turkey, but with the job I could never do that. At work in the morning I get so angry, but during the day I turn Ok.I still haven't accepted my job. It prevents me from doing more for myself, leaves me with exhaustion and I don't study,only too little and when I do I forget everything. I know it's from the drugs,the big culprit in my life. I never accepted the drugs, never made peace with having to take them. They destroyed my cognitive function in great part and made me fail.I am still in this job because I can't be sure my memory would let me study as Increasing know I could have without them. I used to be a very good student,highly active and I have changed a lot with the drugs, especially the Mirtazapine ,I feel sluggish all the time. Before the Mirtazapine I could resist much better to tireness, it wouldn't happen that often and fast. I could do sport and feel good, now even after sport I feel depressed and tired that I want to cry. I have in mind to rid the Mirtazapine first,to regain energy. Wouldn't that be a better idea?

1999-Zyprexa 5 mg, then 10 mg until 2013,little Haldol for short;Zyprexa with on and off periods, horrid withdrawal and back on,sometimes added Escitalopram(Cipralex)20 mg;2013-Risperidone 3ml,Depakine 300 mg,Escitalopram 20 mg,Levomepromazine 1 mg;at need Clonazepam(Rivotril) 0,5 mg;october 2014-2015 Risperidone 3ml,Mirtazapine-7,5 mg,Escitalopram-20 mg;2015-Risperidone 2 ml,Mirtazapine-3,75 mg, Escitalopram- tapered during the year;

may 2015(started work)-added Clonazepam 0,5 mg every third day;december 2015-Risperidone 1,5 ml,Mirtazapine 3,75,Escitalopram 5 mg;Clonazepam-increased dosage to 2 mg;

December 2015 until January 2016 added Carbamazepine 600 mg and gave up Clonazepam until March 2016-Risperidone 1,35 ml, Mirtazapine 3,75 every second and third day(schedule of tapering),Escitalopram-0mg,Clonazepam for a week every third day, then reintroduced Carbamazepine 400 mg for a week, then stopped Carbamazepine.

Since the beginning of april 2016 taking Risperidone 1,30 ml, Mirtazapine 0 mg for five days, 1,87 mg for two days, then turned to 3,75 mg every night, Clonazepam 0,5 mg .

April 27 - upped Risperidone to 2 ml and Mirtazapine to 7,5 mg to bear with the lack of Escitalopram that caused huge anxiety, Clonazepam 1 mg every third day. May to November 2016: Risperidone 1,50 ml(tapering from 2ml, started the taper may 2016); Mirtazapine:3,75 mg(tapered from 7,5 mg, started the taper may 2016); Clonazepam 0 mg(started the taper from 0,33 mg daily).January 2017: Risperidone 1,40 ml(tapering every 4 weeks); Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(tapering to 1,87 mg), Clonazepam(10 days): 0,5mg-0,5mg-1 mg. 4 mg/day for 3 days.January 19: added 200 mg Carbamazepine/day(for 3 days), off Clonazepam.February 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(1,87 mg 3 nights/week), Buspirone 2 x 5mg(3 days,then stopped), Clonazepam occasionally (every third day usually 0,5 mg or 1 mg,hopefully I will stop); March 24th 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg(0 mg every 3rd day); Anafranil 25 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg. April 18th 2017: Risperidone 1,30 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg; Anafranil stop.May 6th 2017-present: Risperidone 1,30 ml.

Supplements: Omega 3,Magnesium, Lavender (occasionally), Pramiracetam, Choline, A combo of Lemon balm and St John's wort.

• Moderator Emeritus

Delia - Isotrenin has psychiatric side effects.  From Drugs.com  https://www.drugs.com/sfx/accutane-side-effects.html:

Depression symptoms have been reported to disappear after discontinuation of the drug and reappear when isotretinoin is resumed.[Ref]

Psychiatric side effects have included depression, nervousness, psychosis, aggression, violent behaviors, emotional instability, suicidal ideation, suicide attempts, and suicide.[Ref]

Again, the irregular way you take your drugs is really destabilising.  This drug, while for acne, has psychiatric side effects - from taking it (I've heard a lot about aggression and accutane) - whether you are taking it - or withdrawing from it.

This is another drug that you take intermittently, with consequences for doing so.  I'm working on a picture to show you, to demonstrate what you have been doing with your drugs.

It is better than when you came in here - but it took a chart for me to figure out what you've been taking and when, it is so erratic and complicate.

The gym was too tired and it was stealing me the whole day the anxiety of having to go there and the huge tiredness after I finished that I had to go to bed immediately until the next day, when I would be at work for 24 hours. It may be bad or good, but I couldn't find joy in these things taking my time. 

I was talking about this to my own therapist today - when exercise becomes a chore and something that you dread, it becomes stressful, and worse than if you just took it easy.  Find easy exercises to do, like this one:

I love the way it loosens up my body, but also strengthens me, too.  And emotionally, it feels beautiful, calming, and very healthful.

I'll try and get back to you in the next day, with a picture to show you of what your drug taking patterns look like.

Take care, keep it simple, steady, and stable.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Delia - 

It took me a week to figure out what doses and drugs you have reported here.  

After I got so confused, I wanted to draw you a picture, so we made up a chart of all the times you have changed your doses.  

All doses are what you reported, as best I could figure out, except the 5HtP, GABA and Passiflora, since we don't know how much you are on.

Delia%20Doses1_zpsieyvshlw.jpg

While overall, your dosing has come down, do you see how erratic it is?

Consider this:  the drugs have effects 6-12 months after you quit them, sometimes.  At least 3 months, they are still having effects if you are lucky.  Longer if you are not.

So - a "bounce" to a dose in December, might mean a "crash" or upset in June.

When you look at this picture, can you see why we cannot figure out why you are struggling at a certain point in time?  There are so many factors here - that it is impossible to determine whether you are finished withdrawing from Carbemazepine in March, or whether you will go back on the clonazepam again, what that effect will have.

Additionally, you can see the spikes and valleys of irregular dosing.  

It is impossible to see who the real Delia is, amongst all of these drug changes.

I'll leave you with the picture, and see what you think about this information.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Hello, JanCarol.Thank you for the chart, it is a good synthesis of my drug habits and it makes me realize what I have done. Still, I don't know what I should be doing from now on. I didn't know my Passiflora intake could have an effect in time on my future mood, I usually take one or two pills a day, but only at need, some days I don't use it. As for Gaba, I haven't been using it in the last two months, 5Htp only for a few days months ago. I wish I knew what I could do. Should I give up Passiflora and never attempt to take Gaba or 5htp again?  I didn't consider them as drugs, more like supplements.

What should I do with Mirtazapine? Even out the dose, take the same dose every night?

I guess with the Risperidone I am on the right path, I will get to 1,5 mg and stay there for a while, not change suddenly like I used to.

I am never going back to Carbamazepine or Clonazepam (I reached the 0,05 mg threshold)or Escitalopram again. I am done with these meds.

I am going to try not to take Isotretinoin again. I think it won't be a problem as I am eating a very clean diet and whenever I do that, my skin looks good.

It takes a great effort to deal with everything without any anti anxiety help in a pill. I just don't know how I will do it. I am pretty calm at the moment, but I don't know what to expect in the future and how to deal with critical moments, what to do to make them pass, as they are painful.

Also, thank you for the exercise video. I will try that.

What should I do to level out my state of mind, my moods? Could this be possible? To know what to expect from myself? To be able to rely on myself and my reactions to life situations or just simple stuff?

• Administrator

Delia, what is your current drug schedule? What drugs do you take in a 24-hour period, when do you take them, and what are the dosages?

Thank you for working so hard on your signature, but your drug intake is still very difficult to understand.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Delia - 

What should I do with Mirtazapine? Even out the dose, take the same dose every night?

I think this would be a good idea, and what you should do next.  Pick a dose you can use every day - I'm going to suggest going back to 7.5 mg, because it is easy to take, and you just came off your clonazepam.   Take this amount every day.   Keep it steady, every day, and only change your dose no more than once a month.   Only adjust ONE drug, one dose at a time.

After that, your next dose will be 90% of 7.5 mg, or 6.75 mg (maybe in October, if you are feeling well?). The next after that will be 6.08 mg (maybe in November, if you are feeling well).  

Please do not alternate doses any more:  Every-other day dosing

To make tiny dose changes like this, you will need to make a liquid (this video is for a benzo, but will work with mirtazapine):

More information here:

How to Make a Liquid from Tablets or Capsule

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-using-an-oral-syringe-and-other-tapering-techniques/

As for the supplements - including caffeine - 

ANYthing which affects your mood, affects your recovery.  Just because it is "natural" doesn't mean that it "has no effect."  If it had no effect, then why are you taking it?

You are probably safe with the Passiflora, and it gives you some measure of comfort while you are working.

You need to get your caffeine levels back down (I've posted about that on your benzo thread, about adding fat to your coffee).

Do not take:  5HtP

and, because your regimen is so complex, I would leave the GABA alone, too.  It just muddies the picture.

I apologize for the mistakes in the picture, I did not know when you were taking (or not taking) the supplements, I had to guess based on what you reported.  (this also demonstrates why it is important to give best and clear detail on your drugs, supplements, and dosing).

A good tapering chart shows a gentle curve, not all of the spikes and drops that your chart shows.  With maybe flat areas for "holds," while you are waiting for symptoms to clear.

But we cannot tell what your symptoms are from because of all the drugs/supplements you take, and the way you have been taking them.

So go back to 7.5 mg / day Mirtazapine for at least a month, and while you are waiting, learn how to make a liquid, so that you can, in 4-6 weeks time, go down to 6.75 mg per day. 

Hello, Altostrata, JanCarol. My current druk intake is 3,75 mg Mirtazapine five nights a week, 7,5 mg Mirtazapine two nights a week, Risperidone 1,70 mg every night (since tomorrow I will be down to 1,65 mg Risperidone for the next two weeks), Clonazepam 0,05 mg every morning. I am using as supplements: Passiflora, Phosphatidylserine, Magnesium, B6, B3, Omega 3.

Jan Carol, I appreciate a lot your intervention, but I have come so far with the Mirtazapine tapering in the last 10 weeks, that there are only 4 weeks left until I get to 3,75 mg Mirtazapine every night and I either continue this process of tapering which worked for me in the case of Escitalopram in the past, or I start taking 3,75 mg every night immediately. I would prefer to continue the last 4 weeks in this manner and get to the 3,75 mg as I feel myself strong enough to take this dose rather than 7,5 mg, which is not acceptable to me any more.

I've lowered a lot my caffeine intake since today and I am not touching Gaba or 5htp or anything else.

I decided to even out at 4,82 mg /night, but every third day I will have to take the dose the next morning after work because of my 24 H shift. This is something I cannot change.

Apologies that this is off-topic.

Our best friends (still living in Canada) both went to university in Cluj - Romania right?

We loved them to bits, and they are having a really tough time.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Yes, junglechicken.

I want to update my decision today, as I wrote on the other thread:

" I decided to keep the 0,05 mg dose of Clonazepam for a while as I am going through difficult moments. I am also going to stop the tapering of the other meds where I am for a while, just to be cautious. I'm sensing some anxiety is about to come if I continue, I've reached a point that tells me clearly to hold the doses for a while and don't change anything or I won't be fine. It feels difficult even to stay put at work and I wander from moments of great hope to gloomy sensations. I recognize this feelings as a beginning of withdrawal, not physical, but basically mental. I am also pretty lonely in my life and I can't talk to anyone about how I am feeling and I can't change opinions anywhere but here."

Tu sum up: I will continue taking 1,70 ml Risperidone, even out the Mirtazapine to 4,82 mg, and keep the Clonazepam 0,05 mg.

Hello. I updated my current situation in the other thread and the signature, so I am off Clonazepam completely. and feel very grateful about that to all of you who helped me enormously. I have been feeling very well in the past few days and confident. Therefore, I wanted to ask you if I should take Piracetam as this is a keen desire I have been having for a long time. I think that I need a nootropic as I feel sometimes really dumb and confused, in a way that I cannot understand, and the point is this is not the way I used to be. Would Piracetam help me or would it interfere with the other drugs in an unfortunate manner?

• Moderator Emeritus

Delia, it would be best to make no changes right now. Let your CNS (central nervous system) settle after the clonazepam taper. Adding a neuropsychoactive drug such as Piracetam will complicate matters.  The confusion and fog you experience are withdrawal symptoms that will likely follow a windows and waves pattern as you recover.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for your answer, scallywag. I won't add Piracetam to my regimen. I understand the implications and I will stay away from it. I wish though I could pay more attention to what's happening around me. I hope it won't last long this fogginess.

I have a problem that is becoming worse and prevents me from doing anything: drowsiness. I am very sleepy, therefore lazy, before I didn't have the motivation, now I feel I have no reason whatsoever to do something, I don't know what to do to feel more alert.

I am offering 10 boxes (30 pills 10 mg each)of Escitalopram to whoever needs them and can't pay for them.

Sorry, 8 boxes, not 10.

• Administrator

Not sure what the laws are in your country, Delia. In the US, transferring of prescription drugs is not allowed.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have a problem that is becoming worse and prevents me from doing anything: drowsiness. I am very sleepy, therefore lazy, before I didn't have the motivation, now I feel I have no reason whatsoever to do something, I don't know what to do to feel more alert.

Hey Delia - 

When are you drowsy - on your 24 hour shift at work?  

When you work, are you allowed to nap - like "on call" doctors?  Or do you have to stay vertical and awake for 24 hours?

It is difficult to address your sleep, since you have that 24 hour shift to contend with.

If you are "lazy" (please don't judge yourself so!) it may mean because your body needs rest.  One of the best ways to heal a brain is to rest.

You were complaining of brain fog, too - perhaps it is just that, a need for rest, and lots of it.

Hello,Jan Carol. I am drowsy in the morning after I wake up until about 3 pm, 4 pm sometimes, after that hour I feel normal, but I am going to bed early so I have little time left for accomplishments. I am drowsy every day in that segment of time.

At work there are nights I cannot sleep as the customers are coming and going, but other nights and most of them I can sleep for 3 hours, 4 hours would be exceptions. Some nights I am disturbed and waken very often during those hours.

I am resting at home, but the daytime sleep is tiring and with many windows of waking. At night I sleep better. I am patient to wait for this symptoms to subside, but it seems endless when I watch the days go by and me wasting them. Still I must keep myself patient, it is the only way I could stop the Clonazepam, and I remind myself that for that reason. Even the brain fog, it highlights in the morning until 4 pm, after that hour I am more aware of everything and feeling better.

Hello. My current daily dosing is 1,65 ml Risperidone and 3,75 mg Mirtazapine. I am feeling very well in present finally believing that one day I am going to heal. The point I am at with the tapering is the best ever, anxiety is gone, fatigue is bearable and I am feeling very hopeful. I hope you are fine, Grace and feeling better too. I wish this to all of you. It's a proof that there's a greater chance we heal and feel great one day.

• 1 month later...

Hello.i am thinking of going back on carbamazepine due to the anxiety i'm having and changing moods and personal problems that are overwhelming.i'am not sure about.i need some advice badly as the stress is huge.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Delia,

What are the current doses of the drugs your are taking?  Is your signature up to date?  Are you keeping daily notes?

I've asked the other mods for their assistance.  I suggest that you don't take it until you have a response from one of the mods.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I am currently taking 1,55 ml of Risperidone and 3,75 mg of Mirtazapine.I mention that I don't feel well if I up the doses I am currently taking.the anxiety won't stop this way.i feel the only way to resist more medication would be to quit my job,because the night shifts are really rough for my mental state,but I don't think I can do it.i am at a loss,in a lose lose situation.how could I not accept that?

• Moderator Emeritus

In August you reported that your doses were 1.7 ml risperidone and 7.5 mg mirtazapine and still having symptoms from the clonazepam taper.

2 months later, your current doses are 1.55 ml risperidone (8.8% decrease) and 3.75 mg mirtazapine (50% decrease).  It's best to reduce only one drug at a time and to make much smaller reductions than you have with mirtazapine.

Before reintroducing carbamazepine, what do you think about trying an increased dose of mirtazapine for 2 weeks?

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I am very reluctant to Mirtazapine.I have been tapering the 7,5 mg from May to September.I want off Mirtazapine,more than Risperidone.I don't know what to do.I was thinking of Carbamazepine because I am tempted to go back on Clonazepam and wanted to prevent that.If I would just stop them all maybe I would be more motivated not to touch pills.

• Moderator Emeritus

I know you want to be off the medications. All of us do.  I strongly urge you not to add another medication.

Since January 2015, you've reduced and increased dose of several drugs, added drugs and supplements, fast tapered off others. Please look again at the chart JanCarol posted above. Link to post

As a result of all these changes, your CNS is sensitized and destabilized. Adding another drug is unlikely to address the withdrawal symptoms you are having.

Some questions for you:

1. Are risperidone and mirtazapine the only medications you are taking?
  2. How and when did you reduce the mirtazapine dose from 7.5 mg to 3.75 mg? 
  3. What supplements - vitamins, minerals, herbs, homeopathic remedies - do you take?
  4. What non-drug techniques are you using?

This topic has many good ideas:  Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

scallywag's Introduction

I am at work now, but I am going to answer the questions as clear as possible. I don't have the agenda with the notes on me, but I think I remember quite well the way I have been taking the drugs:

1. I am taking Risperidone 1,55 ml and Mirtazapine 3,75 mg. I stopped Clonazepam in mid August completely until October, but, in the last  weeks I have taken Clonazepam 3 times on different days 1 mg each time and Xanax 3 times on different days 1 mg each time. I haven't been taking benzos other times or other drugs.

2. I reduced Mirtazapine from 7,5 mg to 3,75 in the course of 14 weeks, from May to September in the following way: 3,75 one day a week for two weeks, the rest of the days 7,5 mg; 3,75 two days a week for two weeks, the rest of the days 7,5 mg and so on until I got to 3,75 each day of the week.

3. I am currently taking as supplements: Phosphatidylserine, Omega 3, Magnesium, B6, B3 and Folic Acid. I quit B12 and B1 weeks ago because they were very activating. As for caffeine, that has made me some problems. August and September I only had Green Tea (2,3 cups a day), but this month October I started having two cups (small) of Bulletproof coffees in the morning one and at noon one. I have been feeling awfully anxious after that and two days ago I started to have only 1 cup (small) in the morning. I think I might start to deal better with only one cup and I hope my mood will settle if that is only it.

4 As a non-drug coping technique I started to walk and meditate and did me good, but I ceased because I had personal issues and lost motivation due to that. 

I really don't want to add other drugs to this already difficult combo. Thank you very much for the help!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

You were reducing the clonazepam while reducing mirtazapine by taking different doses on different days; this combination has likely sensitized your CNS. Occasional use of clonazepam and Xanax (alprazolam) over the last few weeks has probably contributed to your current difficulties and is unlikely to be a positive factor going forward.

Based on your answers, my thoughts:

1. If anxiety has become worse since you started drinking bullet-proof coffee, stop drinking coffee and consuming caffeine in any form.

2. If meditation helped you before, try starting that again. It doesn't have to be a long session. Even 2 minutes once a day can make a difference.

3. Same thing with walking, give it a try again.

4. You might want to reduce your supplements so that you're only taking Omega 3 and magnesium.

I don't know what else to suggest to you other than not taking carbamazepine, an anti-convulsant, again.  I'll check with others who may have ideas about next steps for you consider.

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Delia,

here are my thoughts, others may disagree.

You have worked really hard to come off benzos and you did it, don't throw it away.  If you take the occasional benzo, the anxiety is not going to go away, ever.  Unless you are months off of taking a benzo, any anxiety that you are experiencing can be attributed to withdrawal, with or without additional life stressors.  The best you can do is get rid of all the benzos you have, and never touch the stuff again.

Mirtazapine is just like a benzo, just as hard to come off of, ( in my opinion ).  Cutting the mirt will cause increased anxiety, horrible insomnia, and derealization, and the withdrawal reaction from a mirt cut can be as long as 10 days before you start to feel the effect of a cut.  If you want to add drugs, do yourself a huge favor and just reinstate a bit of the mirt, but don't touch benzos - ever again.  They are poison drugs.  

Delia, don't undo the work you have done to come off of benzos, never taking a benzo again can save your life.

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

Thank you so much for your encouragement and support!!!!You are so wonderful people I can't express in words. I will cease benzos for good, I would throw them away, but sometimes my mother uses them, maybe I should give them all to her. Unfortunately she doesn't have the power, motivation and understanding to get herself rid of medication, even if I tried explaining her that she could, she can't manage any symptom of withdrawal, referring to meds immediately and also insisting continuously that I take a Xanax or a clonazepam every time I feel just a little bit sad or anxious, instead of supporting me. She thinks these pills are the best support and I am sorry for that. 

I will start to walk again, I needed an impulse to start this again and I will pray and meditate again. As for coffee, I realiZed one small cup in the morning helps me feel good, I just don't have to add the second. I had a good evening yesterday and I am starting to be confident that I will be well again. Your help has been enormous, I couldn't address the distress to anyone but here. Eventually, if I feel I can't manage, I will up the Mirtazapine a bit, I just hope it won't be the case. Big big hugs and good wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am starting to learn how to bear with soul's pain and mental pain.This is the only right way to heal,facing all as it is.

• Moderator Emeritus

Delia,

life is hard, but once you are no longer having withdrawal symptoms, it will get easier and you will be in a much better position to solve the problems that face you.  

If you don't want to get rid of your pills, go and hide them in a hard to reach place so that it would be a lot of work to take one. 

Thanks for that uplifting post.

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

I don't feel well at all in this period and I am afraid it might last or worsen. I am having trouble from withdrawal,plus tiredness from work,personal problems that have come up and I must solve in my spare time,plus today I heard a bad news about a friend.I know if it weren't for withdrawal I could handle. I may have to up the Mirtazapine as much as I hate it.Please tell me how much should I up the dose considering I am now taking 3,75 mg in the evening. I think 4 mg may not be enough for how I am feeling.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Delia,

I realise that I am not in your situation, but turning to pills every time you hit a rough patch is only going to keep you on the drug merry-go-round (going around and around AND up and down).  If you can tough it out now, you will be closer to getting off or reducing your drugs.  Increasing your drugs for what are possibly short term problems is not going to help you get off the drugs.

I suggest you go back and look at the graph in this post.

I've asked the other mods to check in on you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management