SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

savinggrace

Hi mammaP,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I really appreciate it, as I feel very alone. I am very aware of the dangers of PPI's and am not taking them, nor domiperidone, though my doctor is rather insistent that it won't hurt me, and will likely help. I know too much about drug interactions to even consider it.

I will address your other suggestions in a personal message as they are GI related, though I think gut and brain issues and nutrition are so inter-related, awareness of the impact of these drugs on our guts is important. Our intestines are lined w/ some of the same neuro-transmitters that these p-drugs address. It's hard to separate the two issues.

Thank you again.

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  • currently 2024 still on 98 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Grace, you wrote:

Meanwhile, I am going to an awesome acupuncturist.  It may just be placebo, but It feels like I am doing SOMETHING and not nothing for the terrible state of my physical health and mental health.  Not living in fear, and living in the moment is a lifelong journey for me...

If you asked me what my acupuncturist does for me, I couldn't tell you - even though she talks to me and we talk about different meridians and issues and she says why she is needling the spleen meridian, etc. etc. 

At the very least, I think the process releases endorphins - that help the body feel good - and feel better.  At the very least.  In TCM, they would say that real healing is happening, too.

I like to believe that!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi Jan Carol,

This is so eerie; I hadn't gone to acupuncture for several weeks, and just picked up the phone, and I saw this post, in response to something I posted many weeks back!

Yeah, I decided to go for some endorphin release. I am not sure that really happens, but sometimes I sleep worse right after a treatment, so it is stimulating. Other times I come out (she does LONG sessions) and I am so tired I can barely walk. (Though I can't sleep, of course) does that ever happen to you?

I am so sick right now, doing something, rather than nothing, feels like the right choice. Placebo or not, I'll take it!

Grace

• 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

• Moderator Emeritus

LOL Grace - it is because I am the s-l-o-w-e-s-t mod in the forum.  I'm always behind!

But if synchronicity sends you to the acupuncturist for some endorphins, placebo, or even TCM treatment = all the better!

I hope you see the Sun today.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Yep, hoping the placebo or endorphins kick in. Does your acupuncturist target only meridians? Does he/she to help with w/d?

I keep wondering if I ask her to help w/ the tapering, if the drugs will clear my system faster, which may, or may not, be good.

You are allowed to have a life; any response is good, no matter how timely. Thank you.

Grace

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Grace,

You might want to have a read of this topic if you haven't already:  acupuncture

From Alto's Post #8:  "Make absolutely sure your acupuncturist understands you want calming treatments, not stimulating treatments. Some may make the same mistake doctors do, thinking your "depression" needs some kind of stimulation."

And GiaK's post

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Yeah, my acupuncturist is old school. She actually practiced medicine in China and when she came to America and saw the horrors of what much Western medicine was doing to people, she turned to full time acupuncture. She is hard to handle because she has made it clear that she is the expert and that I need to trust her. The thing is, she needs to trust me too. I am having trouble being heard but I will be "louder" tomorrow and hope she listens. I will ask for a calming treatment. She thinks I need to get the energy moving because my gut is a mess (not working); I think it is "nervous" and over-reacting to food, stress, and tapering. Sigh...I get so tired and stressed "handling" the egos of people I pay to help me, so they will do no harm. My gut says she can help if she will listen. So far, she is not listening.

Thank you for the links. Maybe they will help me handle her.

Grace

Oh my!

I started to read your thread after I saw your questioning post in another thread about Tolle. I have a few ideas I would like to offer but they won't help your physical situation much I am afraid. But what I would mostly like to say is that I think you are amazing and I wish we were friends.

I will come back to this tomorrow but for tonight I just wanted you to know that even when you don't see responses to your posts they are still being read and people are thinking about you, good thoughts I know. I'll tell you how I know this sometime......

It may be that I am way more optimistic about your future than you are but I think, because none of us can really predict the future, you might turn out better than you think before your time here is finished. And I am the biggest pessimist there is, lol. There's just something about your story that grabbed me.

As JC says, I hope you see the sun and feel its warmth......

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Look forward to hearing from you soon. As you noticed, I don't get many responses but I just don't think people know what to say. I welcome ANY feedback; I feel SO ALONE. I am trying to use my pain to help others, when I can here. It is all I can do. I feel mildly hysterical inside most of the time. THANK YOU for coming along you have no idea how far an act of kindness goes with me.

Grace

Last post before bed....

Of course many don't know what to say! Unfortunately, that never stopped me....

I recently told an occasional acquaintance I did not want to look at her dead mother in the funeral parlor by just blurting out "I don't like to see dead people". Oh that was tacky but I think she understood. I would never have even gone but the others in our group could not make it and I felt someone should be there, even if it was just party of one, me, saying something dumb.

It's the thought that counts. I am sure I'll do better when I mature. Not grown up yet at 66 but getting there.

Be well!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

"My GI doc is good and wants to help but he insists the drug I need (domperidone) does not cross the blood-brain barrier.  ANY drug I take causes me respiratory depression; even topical anti-inflammatories do after a couple applications.  It is very scary being me"

I am exactly the same... as above

I wanted to keep that as I have something to say about it.. and I don't think anybody said you can't talk about GI issues here at SA  maybe your a bit sensitive to suggestions from the boss or maybe I am a dud... but that is my take on it and I am about to talk about them.  Here we go:

Gut issue are a big part of taking these drugs and wd from them.. both. I had ppi drug when I was on them as they cause some gut issues...period I am not debating that cause I already know it.  I also have a hiatal hernia I am not checking spelling too tired from all the work her at SA today ;) good excuse right... so domperidone may or may not cross the bbb but it did make me really wild... I could not sit still and I think I managed all of one pill to find that out I had the same gut dx as you.  Along with the hernia.  I tried many ppi drugs when I was still on ADs I could only tolerate one that was called pariet and even tho I am off the drugs I could still only tolerate this one after a car accident and antibiotic reaction started a gut problem again... again pariet lowest dose worked... but there are side effects if your not in agony I wouldn't go there... I mean emergency agony. 

Here is what I did... I was off all drugs at the time... and I am not a doctor so if your doc say take something well that is up to you... these are some non drug ideas. 

To start with I did baby electrolyte if your too dizzy to walk right.. feel like you have an extreme hang over this is what I did for that feeling and dizziness. 

Second was water therapy... 4 cups of water on waking immediately down them all I got them ready the night before as I could not drink cold water then only room temp... I downed it on waking.  I then brushed my teeth really well and ate within the hour this is water therapy I got from a friend and it really helped me.  Nothing is more benign then water. It really helped me.. broths and boiled veggies .. bits of toast bits of anything you can eat that your allowed... I added ensure when I felt I could but it was not right away after I was better I added it. 

I walked after every meal no matter how small that massages the muscles around the gut and stimulates them to be stronger and maybe kick in a work.. while doing this I had a constant pain.. I took a microvable heating pad with me tied to my body over the pain... I was not stopping no matter what. I had some other reasons to walk at the time so it was all good... walking is a saving tool I think. 

I think the science is important... maybe not all but important so if you are a slow metabolize there is more chance of a drug building up in your system as the gate the P450 will only allow one drug thru at a time so some have to pile up and wait... that is how the liver works... my liver was unhappy too... for that and the gut I eventually added a cup of warm water with the juice of half a lemon... and keep walking it is really important even if you walk around inside your house half an hour so what... you business nobody elses. 

I too have paradoxical reactions and am hyper sensitive to drugs so I get that you are not wanting to take drugs.. I really get it I too had a not so hot child hood but I had fun and I will not allow anyone to push me back there and relive it as I am alive right now living my life best I can even it I choose to spend my time on here helping those in need it is my life it is important and I am not defined by anything that happened years ago I refuse it as I think it is mostly a pile of crap ... I did therapy and I am done not doing any more not living where I am not.. I am here I am going to live here in this moment right now as much as I can as best as I can.  Life as great value and medical things are scary but really we are in control at the end of the day... wd we don't have control... that is just a fact. 

Some things that helped me most are deep relaxation... getting out of my head cause I do love the science of it but it is not always healing to do that only... 

This is my fav... I am at part responsible for the 6 million views as I tell everybody about this video... so please try it with some heat on your spine... 

I see your using mag baths right on that is the best if you not up to that you can always soak your feet... helps too... I use a lot of absorbing liniment... I know an old fashioned thing but it works for me.. and cold packs on my neck or face help sinus headaches... sometimes I find the best things is cold on my neck and heat on my spine it seems to confuse the pain .. and it dies... lol not really but it does help a lot and I don't know why it just does. 

I think that is it for now... but I may be back as I read a lot of things in your thread so may have forgotten something... let it all go and listen to the video.  

ps if you have to take a ppi you can always try tiny amount of it... and my guts healed off the drugs .. so yours may too.. not perfect maybe but much better... because I was on ssri snri drugs... and I think they hurt my guts... I would say go down on the ssri first... just my opinion... and everyone has one... so take it with a grain of salt ...btw are you eating salt you said something about bathroom issues urine I think but I forget what it was...

for salt I use celtic it is expensive but I think it is worth it. 

I wish you peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Some physio therapy may be worth a try the right exercise or movements can do wonders.

peace

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

A few other things I found worked....or helped... flax seeds ground up on anything... buy your own and grind them so they don't go rancid ... and beets will get the bile flowing .. so does the lemon juice and water... and at the end of the day if you have to go more then anything else this will work if you can tolerate it and work fast... got it from a surgical nurse after surgery... 

prune juice warmed nuked or warmed any way you choose down half a cup of that and hold on... did you notice there is not a drug int the mix...beets were at one point my every day food... grated finely 

if you don't like the ground flax seed you can add 2t to a cup of water and boil it keep it in the fridge and have a bit now and then ... 

I don't have a gallbladder lost that years ago... would not doubt Ads had something to do with it but still this helped me as the pain I had felt like gb pain... 

http://www.peoplesmedicine.us/news/gallbladder-pain-relief-recipes

so there you go lots of things to consider and try or think of trying it is all up to you this is your body and your decisions... 

I wish you peace

Had a car accident in 85

Grace, it sounds to me like you have a gastrointestinal illness that may be unrelated to the drugs -- although every foreign substance you put in your body complicates your situation.

Having had gut problems myself (mostly cleared up now), it also sounds to me like the lining of your gut is damaged, that is the basis for the hypersensitivity. I would look at gut healing protocols.

We don't really counsel people about healing gut problems here, there's not much more I can add.

Not sure how that can be interpreted any other way....we don't deal with gut issues here.

I guess I am too sensitive and vulnerable for this site.  I really appreciate the people who have reached out gently and kindly, giving suggestions the best they know how.

I do not feel welcome here any more.  It's too bad because I was really starting to care about many people here, and as critically sick as I am, i have tried to be a positive presence.

Btdt,  thank you for all your suggestions, though not for calling attention to my over-sensitivity.  That has already been done very well in the past few days.  I do appreciate all the suggestions you made, and most of them I have tried but I will consider the few I haven't.  I agree with much of what you say, and will look at the links. I really do.  I PM'd you because I was told this was not a GI site and I respected what the boss said.  I am a 'rule follower".

I think that means nobody here is a doctor and you have a doctor but we can tell you our experience you are the one who makes the choices maybe one of those drug is best maybe you need to try one that is your choice if you do and they don't agree with you there are other non drug ways... it is all up to you to make an informed choice.  Information is what we give me I gave my experience with this sort of thing for me it was wd related so there you have it.  I think if it is not wd related then you need to do what the doc says.  I had the same dx was given the same drugs... you have my story at the end of the day is all your choices that is what we do here share our experience. 

I wish you peace

Had a car accident in 85

There are no perfect people here.. I don't think.  We all do the best we can with what we have... many of us are broken and we keep trying to find answers best we can to help each other... wd is full of windows and waves while somebody may be able to be careful of a perceive anothers feelings one day the next they may not be able to .. if a person is trying to help another we sometimes have to over look the frailties of the other...

I hope you come back cause when this works it is amazing...

I wish you peace 

Had a car accident in 85

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SavingGrace (in case you are still reading),

I hope you would do whatever it is you need to keep yourself in a safe and gentle space.  We do care very much about you, and want you to be well.  Of course you can always feel free to read through threads etc, without posting.  I hope you can continue to find what you need to help you heal. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi,

I am at a very low point ...as low as I have ever been.

I searched all the forums (tapering, self-care, etc. symptoms) looking for an answer to my question, before posting it here.  I don't know what to do as I feel I need help very very soon or I will end up in the hospital.

Yes, I am dealing with serious health issues.  I also know they are getting worse from these drugs so It is very difficult to make peace with just letting these drugs accumulate in my sick body.  I have been tapering at a slower and slower rate; as slow as my digital scale can go.

Some new symptoms reared their ugly heads after a .5% cut of trileptal.  The first one was restless leg syndrome which is what landed me on benzos 15 years ago.  I want to cut my leg off...it feels like a deal breaker to me.  I spent 3 out of 7 days in bed last week because I was so fatigued and dangerously depressed and suicidal. I started getting drenched in sweat again every night.

This is not "withdrawal normal" for me.  These are new symptoms, (and I am very aware that everyone gets new ones) that make me completely dysfunctional. I read the stories of so many people here who survive all this, and maybe I am a big baby, but after reading about stabilizing before continuing to taper, am I mis-reading my situation?  Is this normal w/d stuff that I should accept?  Is it time for me to accept that I have to be  bed-ridden for possibly decades?  (do the math; that's not an exaggeration) Or should I hold for a while, letting my brain have some extra time to "re-model."  I know I have tapered 25% of my benzo, a little more than 25% of trileptal, come completely off ambien after 10 years (crossing over to valium) in about 6 years or so.  I wonder if this is my brain saying it just needs more time.  I was 15 years on higher doses of the afore-mentioned drugs and have been on AD's for 36 years and poly-drugged for 15.  I have genetic metabolic disorders and chronic health problems, some that existed prior to p-drugs and have gotten worse as I have aged, and some that I am sure are because of the drugs.

I am very very skittish.  I have been called over-sensitive multiple times in the last weeks.  I agree that I am.  That said, I would appreciate it that if anyone ventures to give me any opinion ( i absolutely know that there are no answers, just opinions), I would appreciate it if you consider my very fragile state.  I know everyone here is fragile; i think some more than others.  I tried to quit SA because although I thought I was helping in my own way, I got hurt by some rather harsh critiques of my situation.  I know what my options are...don't taper any more and wait as I get sicker and end up in the hospital and lose control over everything, keep tapering and stay bed-ridden, cold-turkey (not really an option; prone to seizures), or hold for a much longer time until I feel like my brain is ready to go forward.

One might say this is psychological; that I can't possibly feel such huge differences from a .5% cut.  I know myself.  I am much stronger than anyone here would believe.  I never would have believed that a .5% cut could have an overnight affect but it did, and it was unbearable. (I up-dosed 1% and the RLS stopped) I am reading this as my brain/bodies' signal to stop and accept that this is a lifelong process for me, that I may never cross the finish line, but I shouldn't give up, just go slower.  Holding right now MAY be my harm reduction; I don't know.  What I do know is that SA is the only door I have left open to me, and as soon as I shut it, there is nowhere else to go.  I have done it all. 

I was asked recently if responses to me needed to be "sanitized". There are no wrong answers to this post, unless the delivery is harsh.  I have tried to help others here in a gentle, supportive and positive manner.  That is all I ask.  If I frustrate you, then please block me and don't respond.

I really really need help.  As we all know, there is nowhere else to go where I can find anyone who understands the severity of my situation.  I do know that most everyone here feels desperate as well.

Thank you.

Grace

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Grace, I have had to go very slowly tapering tramadol because I had withdrawal symptoms from 5% cuts. Some of us do have to go much slower with some drugs because we are so sensitive. I was upset and angry at first, cried like a spoilt child being told no you can't do something! Then got my big girl panties on ( Love this term that was used by another mod but can't remember which one!)  and started making smaller cuts instead. I now cut 1% per week, for 4 weeks, then hold for 4 weeks.  It's taken 4 months to drop 20% so works out at 5% per month anyway , it's just that I make the cuts tiny but more often. If there are any symptoms I hold until they have passed.  This is my last drug and 4 years since I started tapering, it has been hard at times but much better than staying on all the drugs, and drugs for the side effects of drugs!  I am glad that going back up 1mg helped, maybe the next cut could be 4% and be ok.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

There is the voice of experience for you Grace  :mellow: there are always those other options we have not thought of yet 

peace

Had a car accident in 85

Thank you so much mammaP. Oh how I wish I said 5% cuts. I resorted to .5%...lowest we could measure! We had hoped I could do exactly as you described...1%/week for 4 weeks and then hold. I've kept adjusting my taper as symptoms arose. We have tried more aggressive tapers and when they failed, meaning bed-ridden and suicidal, slowed it down. It just kind of feels like my brain is screaming on the top it's lungs "STOP" for an unknown amount if time. I don't want to do this unless I can make peace with it...and yet will there ever be peace? I just was checking in to make sure that I should pay attention to these new, dramatic symptoms. I KNOW no one can really help me. I have known for a long time. I have been actually ashamed at my inability to make any progress, and yet, maybe for me, 25% is progress. At least it reduces my load somewhat. I just compare myself to everyone here and wonder why I can't even come close to doing what people do here...but it isn't for lack of trying.

The best thing about SA has been that although I may be a very extreme case, I have learned that I am not the only one whose brain over-reacts to even the tiniest changes. I hear you, though, mammaP. Big girl panties are on, though I am not sure what I am going to do while wearing them yet. (And I might have to change the wording of big girl panties, as I have lost so much weight the big girl panties don't fit these days. :)

Thanks btdt! I hear you too!

Grace

• Moderator Emeritus

Yep, hoping the placebo or endorphins kick in. Does your acupuncturist target only meridians? Does he/she to help with w/d?

I keep wondering if I ask her to help w/ the tapering, if the drugs will clear my system faster, which may, or may not, be good.

You are allowed to have a life; any response is good, no matter how timely. Thank you.

Grace

Thank you Grace!

My acupuncture does a blend of stuff.  She does a little massage to release "congestion" around muscles.  She will needle a painful spot - and then tell me if it is on or close to a meridian.  Since I have a lot of physical pain, sometimes the spots are more about my structural issues (nerves, tendons, joints, cramped muscles) than they are about meridians.  But more often than not, my pain, and where she puts the needles, is on a meridian, and also often at an intersection of meridians.

I have had Chinese acupuncturists who would basically grunt when I asked questions.  It was meant to be a mystery.  In their culture, there is no discussion of "angry spleen" or "liverwind" (my last TCM "diagnosis") except among themselves.  It is a way to keep the patient in awe of the treatment, but it only makes me angry.  About the most information I got from a Chinese acupuncturist was for them to touch a point and say, "Bad here." or "better than last time."

My current acupuncturist is Australian, and happy to share her knowledge, because she knows - just because I now know many of the kidney, spleen and liver points (because that's where I hurt!) doesn't mean that I'm going to go acupuncture myself.  Though - perhaps I should acupressure myself sometimes.  Ah, more self care!

Thank you, Jan Carol. I learned not to ask questions early on with this woman. She has a "you relax, you don't need to understand belief", I think. I wonder if that's how the "regular" doctors in China act as well. Well, it's not like American doctors like to answer questions. They are too busy rushing off to their next case, prescription pad in hand!

Thanks for reaching out. It is a lonely world these days. Ah, Australia...it was on my bucket list, but I don't have one any more.

Grace

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, my acupuncturist is old school. She actually practiced medicine in China and when she came to America and saw the horrors of what much Western medicine was doing to people, she turned to full time acupuncture. She is hard to handle because she has made it clear that she is the expert and that I need to trust her. The thing is, she needs to trust me too. I am having trouble being heard but I will be "louder" tomorrow and hope she listens. I will ask for a calming treatment. She thinks I need to get the energy moving because my gut is a mess (not working); I think it is "nervous" and over-reacting to food, stress, and tapering. Sigh...I get so tired and stressed "handling" the egos of people I pay to help me, so they will do no harm. My gut says she can help if she will listen. So far, she is not listening.

OMG is this Ying Jia?  (she is one of the Chinese acupuncturists I was talking about in my last post).

I found her to be very authoritative and top-down.  Not the best listener.  Heavy on the "I am a doctor" ego trip, too.  

If that is where you are located, please consider Jen ****** at (Clinic Name)She is a true compassionate professional, and while she may not know anything about withdrawal (I saw her for pain in the 90's) she is a caring listener and a very skilled practitioner.  When I saw her, she was the only one at her clinic - it looks like she has apprentices now.

Edited by JanCarol
identifying information removed.

• Moderator Emeritus

Funny that, Grace.  I never wanted to come to Australia, not even for a visit!

And now, look what happened!  Life is funny sometimes.  

OMG...it is Ying Jai!! I have been to (clinic name) but not to your person. I found them to be very different...one example...they would leave the needles in 15-20 minutes at the most. Ying leaves me 1-1/2 hours!! She explained that it takes that long to get the energy moving. I have had to learn how to "handle" her...she is a force to be reckoned with. I am now choosing to trust her; her clients rave about how she saved their lives. I am keeping track of symptoms; for a while I thought she was stimulating me too much. She is trying to get my digestion working and that involves some stimulation, though she denies it is "stimulating." Can't wait to tell her she has an international reputation. I suppose it will feed her big ego, but that's okay. I am trying to get her to think outside the box with me, do I am trying to "suck up" a little. I am trying to trust her, as I don't know who else to trust. I will check to see if Jean is still here. I don't think she is and I don't think the new people helped at all...and they were expensive.

What a small world! Thanks for making me smile today. :)

Grace

Edited by JanCarol
identifying information removed

• Moderator Emeritus

DO NOT tell her she has "international reputation!"  That will just make her worse!  (besides, she was "famous doctor in China" - she already knows)

LOL I just happened to live in the same town.  And I could smell her grumpy from 14,000 miles away!

She will not change her thinking for anyone, unless she has softened with age.  She is one of those "My way or highway" people and is "always right."  Maybe I needed more "coddling" than you, but I'm not the only one she was critical of.  My current acupuncturist, as part of her training, had to do an internship in China, and she talked about the difference.  Like the big needles, more of them, and mysterious ways.

At (Clinic Name) , it is Jen = Jennifer (not Jean).  I cannot imagine that she is not practicing, but she may have limited hours.  She may put most clients to the other girls, except for special cases.

We can make you a special case - tell her you know me.  I'll PM my full name history to you, along with identifying characteristics.

But I cannot do anything about the price.  After experiencing Ying, compared to Jen, I didn't care about the difference in price (even when I was poor).

It's your choice, but if you want to ask for Jen, I'll give you my name.

My current acupuncturist uses 15-20 min of needles per session, plus talk of what's going on.  Jen used to do 1/2 hour for me, she would come in at 15-20 minutes and "turn the needles" to reactivate them.  

But you can ask her questions like this:  "why does Ying leave the needles in so long?  Why don't you?"  She will answer.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Grace, 

It looks like you are giving SA a miss here.

We really are limited as to what can be said and done, and sadly, these drugs affect every aspect of our lives.  When a situation becomes life threatening (as you have said in several posts), we are helpless with our computer boxes and our keyboards.  

I am a member of different forums - I participate the most in SA - but I also get information from thyroid, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue forums.  Most of them are pro-drug, and it becomes difficult for me to participate there, when I see that the drugs (good old "Lyrica" for example) are rampantly prescribed - and are worsening the conditions of the people there.  I'm sure it is similar on your GI forums.

We've given our best suggestions - I lean towards the bone-broth solution, if you can tolerate it.  My troubles weren't as extreme as yours, but I suffered IBS for over 5 years.  It is finally settling down now, I turned a corner when I started eating clay and using clay and probiotics in enemas.  NOWHERE could I find justification for why that was right for me - I could only find bits and pieces - but - it felt right to do what I did, and I'm better for it.  

When my IBS got bad, I'd take this in an enema.  There is NO MEDICAL EVIDENCE for this formula, it is something my body seemed to crave and worked out for me:  500 ml strong tea (pref organic), 2 T coconut oil, 1t pink himalayan salt, 1-2T (depending on how bad diarrhea was) deep earth clay (local source, but purified bentonite would work), and 1/2 packet yogurt starter.  Hold for as long as possible.  If you have trouble holding just do the tea, salt and coconut oil one until you can hold for at least 20 minutes.

NO MEDICAL EVIDENCE - anecdotal or otherwise - says this would work.  Except for my own anecdote, here.  Add to that, the bone-broth when I'm feeling sick - I can eat other food, unlike you.  I find it soothing and healing.  (note:  GiaK says that bone broth can be high in histamine - so it did not work for her)

I wish I knew of someone in your town who is brilliant with GI or withdrawal.  Sadly, I don't.  When it gets so extreme that doctors want to hospitalize you - what can we, of the computer box, do?  In our helplessness - we want to be sure you are cared for, and there is little we can suggest.

However, there is a broad community here, and I hope you will continue to participate - any time you have a tapering question, you will get suggestions and solutions and responses.

So where are you on your tapering?  You reinstated the trileptal to what dose?  At what date?  What are you thinking about it now?  

Is holding worse than tapering?  Have you considered trying a 10% decrease of remeron?

Please be well.

Hi JanCarol,

I am not sure what "giving SA a miss" means, but if it means I thought about leaving, I did, for about a week, but I came back.  I am very sick and overly-sensitive (as several people pointed out which made me feel I needed to leave...I do not need anything else to be upset about)  After "sitting on this decision" for about a week (still reading but not participating) I decided two things...I still had some unasked questions, that although there are not likely answers to, I wanted to ask them anyway, and second, I have a lot to offer myself and doing something positive is  one of the few things I CAN dp and is a good thing and I should continue.  If you look around, you will see that I have continued to reach out to others with words of support.  I tend to leave the technical advice to the moderators, but I know a lot of self-care stuff, and I know how gently I need to be handled, so I try to be sensitive, and I think I have a place here.  If you read those posts, you will see how much I encourage others to stick with SA, as I truly believe that this is the only forum that gives out consistent advice that makes sense.  I have, and do participate, in other forums.  One is strictly GI stuff, and yes, they are all on tons of drugs.  The other p-drugs sites just weren't a good fit for me.  The underlying principles/protocols here at SA are the best around, even if it doesn't seem to be working for me right now, it is these principles that I have been trying to following.

Thank you for your thoughts on my GI situation.  Yes, I am critically ill in the sense that I will end up in the hospital on tube feedings and all kinds of drug interventions (which I have so far refused) if things don't start improving.  My weight loss hasn't gone down for almost 2 weeks, so that's good, but I have increasingly more days of eating as little as possible to control the pain.  I will not accept a feeding tube; perhaps I am just too depressed to do so.  The drug for my condition, domperidone, is very potent, and is not even legal in the US.  (apparently GI docs can get it)  My doctor wants me to take this drug, but if it doesn't kill me (FDA warnings of cardiac arrest and severe neurological effects such as depression) it will surely interact w/ my other drugs and make me sicker, as it is metabolized by the same enzyme pathways and inhibits the drugs I take.  So a hospitalization would not be good.  They would start messing w/ my current meds so I could take the domperidone, and would make me CRAZY, or they would put me on other drugs, etc...none of this is good, and there are no good choices, other than to try and figure this out w/ diet and non-drug treatments.  I have lost 20% of my body weight since January and i only weighed 5'2" and weighed 115  so another 5 or so pounds would hospitalize me, possibly for a long time, and nothing good is going to happen there.

Yeah, I posted somewhere here on my paradoxical reaction to the GAPS diet.  Oh, how I wish I could try that again.  I ended up in the ER with cardiac symptoms 4 days into the diet.  When they couldn't find anything else wrong, I decided it must be the diet.  I quit the diet and the symptoms went away.  I had the same reaction to VSL probiotics, though I didn't go to the ER that time...just stopped the pro-biotics.  Again the symptoms went away.  Anyway, I strongly suspect I am histamine intolerant (much of my medical history supports that) so I am following most of the low histamine protocol, and bone broth is out of the question.  Probably explains why homemade organic chicken soup has been bloating me for years!  Believe it or not, the clay enemas don't shock me at all.  I have heard/read about even more drastic measures....

As far as tapering goes, I up-dosed just 1 mg. of trileptal and the extreme w/d symptoms that emerged so quickly have all gone away.  Yes, I guess I am THAT over-sensitized.  I don't feel well enough to taper right now so I am holding on everything as in my signature.  This is my current thinking, which I hesitate to write, but here it is....

I have been enmeshed in this drugged or poly-drugged state for 36 years, starting with sleeping pills in 1980 for almost a year before I was diagnosed as postpartum depression and then switched to amitriptyliine.  I was on that only for almost two decades (but suffered chronic sinus infections and had 3 surgeries and was on fluoroquinolone antibiotics at least 50% of that time)  I was even on PPI's for a while as well as nasal steroids most of the time.  So this is what I know.  I also know I am a slow metabolizer and have the MTHFR1298C mutation (genetically tested) and have a very strong family history of depression, addictions, alcoholism, and sadly a schizophrenic sister.  Add that to a very weak immune system from allergies starting at birth, and constant infections, and you have one very sick person, physically and mentally.

So in 2011 I decided I had to get off these drugs.  I also had a stint w/ vicoden and tramadol though at very low doses for chronic back pain from 2003-2005.  I never abused them and developed tolerance very quickly, taking only one a day for a while and then pretty much cold-turkeying them, using them only for things like long plane flights and haven't touched one in years.  I have taken NO DRUG at all for anything for 5 years. (not even a tylenol)  I tough out everything.  I take no supplements (though I am experimenting w/ magnesium oil right now because of RLS)  I was on a very clean, organic diet though quite lop-sided right now, probably pretty malnourished and vitamin deficient.

Do I feel better holding than tapering?  Absolutely.  Does holding give me any quality of life? No it does not.  I think I described my withdrawal normal in a very early post.

Feeling very hopeless, helpless and despondent over my inability to make any progress right now I thought long and hard.  I try hard not to compare myself to those here because there is no point in that at all.  I have been there and done that and not succeeded....

My "toxic load" has been HUGE for over 35 years.  People can go into protracted W/D from very short stints of just one drug.  So MAYBE, just MAYBE for me, I am in pretty bad w/d from the more than 25% I have cut since mid 2011 and MAYBE my brain just needs to catch up; more time to re-model before I can resume tapering.  MAYBE I will be more successful if I stop using a calendar and tell myself I "should be tapering" when my body gives me very loud signals otherwise.  I picture a whole pie.  I cut out 25% of that pie (and a sliver if you count all the other things I cut out....supplements, foods, etc) 25% of a very rich pie is a lot.  I have a whole known slew of other metabolic problems that complicate this process even more.  MAYBE i should just rest for a while and try to figure out this GI stuff and not add tapering symptoms to the mix.  I have done "longish" holds in the past, and resuming tapering has been easier, albeit slower.

I realize the risks here.  I am  aware that stopping and starting over-sensitizes someone.  I think that has already happened to me. It doesn't make sense to me as it doesn't really align with the giving our brain time to re-model idea.  It seems like the more time we give our brain to adjust to the new drug level the better.  I know, however, that the longer this process is drawn out, the longer these toxins are in our bodies and likely making us physically sicker, which has already happened to me.  (I believe my GI problems have been caused by the drugs)

SA promotes listening to our bodies and our symptoms.  I am trying hard to do that....to make the best decision I can. I am pretty sure SA wouldn't promote what i am choosing right now.  I don't have a firm plan or date in place.  I am holding for an indefinite amount of time at these doses.  I do not plan to up-dose ever, or let any doctor start messing with me.   No one lives in my body and no one has the magic bullet answer.  I respect SA's philosophy and I promote it, and I actually believe had I known about any of this 20 years ago, I would be drug-free today.  But I didn't, and I am not, and I am very sick.  I have felt between a rock and a hard place for decades. 

Yes, I have considered tapering remeron next, and I believe I will try that, though I suspect it will be much harder for me than the trileptal.  I will likely start with a  5% cut and see what happens.  I am not sure when I will do that.  I have to get more stable first and I have no idea when that will be.

If anyone feels compelled to respond, please do so carefully.  Tears are streaming down my face as I write this, as I feel so vulnerable telling the whole truth,  and I am SO sick.  I am an intelligent, resourceful person who has been fighting a really tough fight for a really, really long time. I have some really terrible, almost unfathomable stuff , going on in my personal life.  Just getting through one hour at a time is a challenge most days.  I am really ashamed that i can't do what most of you have/are doing....and yet I will continue to fight.  

I hope to continue to feel welcome enough here to give an encouraging word to others.  It is the only thing I have left...empathy...and lots of it.

Grace

• Moderator Emeritus

Grace, I've noticed your gentle and compassionate comments on introduction threads.  When reading what you've written, I am always reminded to take it easy on myself and others.

Your description of yourself and your situation matches my perception of you:

I am an intelligent, resourceful person who has been fighting a really tough fight for a really, really long time.

I wish someone somewhere had a shortcut out of this obscene obstacle course you're forced to run. Your ongoing courage and resilience -- yes resilience -- bring tears to my eyes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Well, it took a lot of courage for me to post that...I feel naked, exposed, and relieved. YOUR gentle and kind response brought tears to my eyes. Thank you, Scallywag.

Grace

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Grace - there's nothing about SA protocol or philosophy against an indefinite hold.

We are not relentless in tapering (as most other similar forums are).  Instead we're big on harm reduction, and if holding is what you need to do - even if it is for a year or two - then that is what you need.

I was lucky, I was able to steady - taper for about 2.5 - 3 years.  I might hold for up to 3 months, but usually, was good to go again.  There was no calendar, I only planned the "next" taper.  Once I got the lithium down to about 1/2, my toxicity lifted, and I was pretty much free to do what I wanted.

But everyone is different, and each knot has different threads, textures, colors, tastes, temperatures, to try and untangle. 

The main thing SA encourages is not tying the knot tighter, and you are nowhere near doing that.

Take care, I hope you find something tasty and fattening to eat today!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Something has been going on for years with me, and I have just been putting up with it...

I wake up with shortness of breath; i feel as though I am suffocating.  Usually I have been having some sort of dream that is disturbing or I am actually suffocating and then I wake up.  Sometimes, if I prop myself up on pillows, and do some deep breathing, I can get it to go away.  Other times it lasts for many hours.

In the past, it was ALWAYS linked to any interaction of another drug and/or supplement.  For example, when I had a frozen shoulder and used a lidocaine patch at night, after several nights, I would start waking with shortness of breath.  This happens with anything I ingest that interferes with the metabolism of my usual p-drugs.  It even happens with a topical anti-inflammatory ointment.  Thus, I treat none of my ailments with anything, but the best nutrition I can manage.

However, I have had two episodes in the last month when I awoke around 5 a.m. with this shortness of breath and I had ingested nothing that could possibly explain it.  It is one of my worst symptoms.  It really scares me.  I have one of those things you put on your finger to check respiration/pulse.  My oxygen level is always fine.  I just feel like I can't breathe...

Is this those morning cortisol spikes I read about?  I have also been waking up around the same time (different episodes) with over-whelming nausea.  I am attributing this to my GI illness and/or reflux though I feel no reflux ever.  The nausea lasts for hours; sometimes all day.

I am most concerned about the shortness of breath.  It used to happen often when I took other meds or supplements, but now that I add nothing to the mix, I just don't know.  Any feedback would be appreciated...

Grace

• Moderator Emeritus

Grace, I wish I could assist you in some way about the shortness of breath you're experiencing. :(

I saw your comment about frozen shoulder; I had great success with this using a combination treatment that used chiropractice, osteopathy, acupressure and specialized breathing during the movements. If this is still a problem for you, send me a message and I'll post details here in your thread.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

The frozen shoulder fully resolved but it took 3 years.

I have just always wondered if this early morning awakening w/ shortness of breath is some sort of cortisol thing. I am sleeping and I wake up with it so I am not really having a panic or anxiety attack when it happens.

It does cause me distress...not knowing the cause. When it was a drug interaction it was easier to accept and get through.

Hopefully someone will have some idea about this.

Thank you for your response. Hope you continue to feel okay on your latest dose reduction

Grace