SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Antipsychotic survivors? Interested in your stories

Haven't seen or heard anything in regards to antipsychotic recovery.

Depakote on and off 2012-2014

Topirimax 2015-2016 Quit cold turkey in the middle of Febuary 2016

Tramadol for three months due to stomach ailments which have now healed Jan 2015-March 2015

Latuda December 2015 Quit cold turkey in the middle of Febuary 2016

"Diagnosis" Bipolar 2....................Since 2004

Well, I stopped Zyprexa in 2012 and I consider myself completely recovered. But it was an 8 mo taper, not CT. If you are struggling I would really recommend reinstatement and a proper taper. 3 yrs before that a dr. tried me on 50% reductions and it was impossible.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I had to stop taking the antipsychotic geodon at 40 mgs after 12 years on high doses. Couldn't complete my taper due to tardive dyskenisia manifesting itself. I am about four months off and I am definitely recovering.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

Thanks you all. I appreciate your personal experiences.........

Tramadol for three months due to stomach ailments which have now healed Jan 2015-March 2015

I was taking Haloperidol  in 1992 for about 1.5 month. Risperidone and Chlorprotixen, then Quetiapine, then Saphris in 2013-2014. Both times I successfully stopped antipsychotics. I have seen other people here who also successfully quitted and recovered.

1992 - Antidepressants, Antipsychotics and benzodiazepines in hospital for about 1,5 month, with PTSD diagnosed. Then I abruptly stopped taking pills. W/d for few months and then no symptoms for many years.

2013 – Doctor prescribes Paxil, Amitriptyline, Risperidone due to insomnia, anxiety and weight loss. Then it starts a long story about changing diagnosis and adding/changing meds. I started to taper in December 2014. Severe withdrawal symptoms for  4 months. Then the 1st window.

April 2015 – meds free. June, July – the first big window which lasted until mid-October. Then a wave again, but this time with new strange symptoms I’ve never had before.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm off all meds after taking cocktails of antipsychotics, antidepressants, benzos, z-drugs, etc. for 30 years. You name it, I took it. 

But I'm free now, off all drugs for almost 11 months, and slowly healing. 

I'm off all meds after taking cocktails of antipsychotics, antidepressants, benzos, z-drugs, etc. for 30 years. You name it, I took it. 

But I'm free now, off all drugs for almost 11 months, and slowly healing. 

Wow......That's terrific and inspiring. Congratulations on your journey to recovery :-)

I was taking Haloperidol  in 1992 for about 1.5 month. Risperidone and Chlorprotixen, then Quetiapine, then Saphris in 2013-2014. Both times I successfully stopped antipsychotics. I have seen other people here who also successfully quitted and recovered.

Thanks for the enlightenment and congratulations on your journey as well.

i spent years on a variety of antipsychotics, and am in my fifth year of withdrawal post-discontinuation.  i still cannot hold down a job or drive or cook my own meals most days, and still have antipsychotic-induced psychotic symptoms.  but, i am better than every year previous.  my daily/weekly symptoms still number in the many dozens, and functioning is impaired, but i am able to do some things in life i could not before this point in recovery (or most periods of recovery), like sleep more than a few hours a night, listen to some music here and there, type with a keyboard without reversing letters in every phrase, etc.

i havent updated my thread in a while, and am not always active on here, but i hope to catch up sometime.  there are a good number of users on here primarily or additionally suffering from antipsychotic withdrawal, but we are the minority.  personally, antipsychotics have been worse for me in withdrawal than antidepressants, anxiolytics, benzos, and hypnotics.  topiramate probably takes the cake just because seizures and stuff are more serious than dyskinesias and dystonias, despite the greater overall problems presented by antipsychotics in my withdrawal.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

but, i am better than every year previous.

For this, IU, you are my hero.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Yes invisibleUnless antipsychotic side effects and subsequent withdrawal is the single most difficult life experience I have ever endured.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

You're a hero too if you manage to stay off, Marsha. I love you both and all I know is the horror of AD withdrawal. Yours is a special kind of hell I can only dimly understand.

Too many have lost their lives to the irresponsible use of APs by the medicos. AD not working? Here, try this!

Yeah, guaranteed to make you so messed up you won't remember why you even started on the drugs to begin with (or be a casualty like btdt and nz11 who WEREN'T TOLD WHAT THEY WERE TAKING).

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I'm really inspired to hear of successful withdrawals from antipsychotics.  I've tried a number of times but have always so far relapsed.  

History:- 1993: - prescribed Prozac - soon started having momentary episodes of psychosis - 1994: psychotic breakdown  - prescribed high doses of antipsychotics including Depixol, Chlorpromazine (with procyclidine to control pacing) and later prescribed olanzapine, haloperidol, risperidone with different antidepressants (relapsed or crashed each time I tried to reduce or withdraw from meds).  Can't recall all combinations of drugs have been on.   2007: amisulpride 400mg & venlafaxine 75mg    2013: Got down to 150mg amisulpride, but hospitalised with v.bad psychosis after dropping to this dose and coerced into taking 600mg (always hit problems when dropping below 200mg)  2014: reduced and then problematic symptoms of psychosis, mid-Dec - back up to 200mg,

Feb 2015 had reduced to 180.5mg crashed badly and suddenly and hospitalised : prescribed 300mg amisulpride, 10 mg aripripazole, 50 mg sertraline.  Gradually reduced to 60.75mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify only by Dec 2016.  shortly after 30/1/17 two days paranoia, held and stabilised.  made 2.5% reductions in amisulpride to get to 50mg amisulpride plus 10mg abilify.  Held for long period of time to let CNS stabilise as unable to tolerate any more reductions (from Aug 2017)   April 2018 40mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify.

Current Meds: 17.6mg amisulpride, 10mg abilify plus 2000mg metformin for type II diabetes

i spent years on a variety of antipsychotics, and am in my fifth year of withdrawal post-discontinuation.  i still cannot hold down a job or drive or cook my own meals most days, and still have antipsychotic-induced psychotic symptoms.  but, i am better than every year previous.  my daily/weekly symptoms still number in the many dozens, and functioning is impaired, but i am able to do some things in life i could not before this point in recovery (or most periods of recovery), like sleep more than a few hours a night, listen to some music here and there, type with a keyboard without reversing letters in every phrase, etc.

i havent updated my thread in a while, and am not always active on here, but i hope to catch up sometime.  there are a good number of users on here primarily or additionally suffering from antipsychotic withdrawal, but we are the minority.  personally, antipsychotics have been worse for me in withdrawal than antidepressants, anxiolytics, benzos, and hypnotics.  topiramate probably takes the cake just because seizures and stuff are more serious than dyskinesias and dystonias, despite the greater overall problems presented by antipsychotics in my withdrawal.

Thanks for your experience and input.

Yes invisibleUnless antipsychotic side effects and subsequent withdrawal is the single most difficult life experience I have ever endured.

Thanks. I was hoping it would be the least horrible but from what i have experienced personally....ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really inspired to hear of successful withdrawals from antipsychotics.  I've tried a number of times but have always so far relapsed.  

I must say it's getting better for me after almost 2 months. I have windows and the waves seem to be less lengthy. Don't want to talk to fast though for i am appreciative and sometimes according to some of the stories relapse seem's right around the corner. I am hopeful and optimistic as well as staying positive not anticipating the worst, but taking it slow.........The epsom salt baths seem to calm my nerves and muscles. Didn't think anything could work but that does. Wen't out and bought a bunch of different herbs and vitamins but i have now just stuck with a good diet cutting out caffeine and sugar. Scared to put anything in my body really. Even natural herbs...............

• Moderator Emeritus

I must say it's getting better for me after almost 2 months. I have windows and the waves seem to be less lengthy. Don't want to talk to fast though for i am appreciative and sometimes according to some of the stories relapse seem's right around the corner. I am hopeful and optimistic as well as staying positive not anticipating the worst, but taking it slow.........The epsom salt baths seem to calm my nerves and muscles. Didn't think anything could work but that does. Wen't out and bought a bunch of different herbs and vitamins but i have now just stuck with a good diet cutting out caffeine and sugar. Scared to put anything in my body really. Even natural herbs...............

If you're already seeing windows, I would also be scared to start taking a lot of herbs and vitamins. Ideally, if you are going the supplement route, it's best to try one at a time at a very small dose to see how you react.

I'm glad you're already seeing progress. 

Hi All. 

I wanted to share my experience because I think it might be helpful. I was on antipsychotics for a very long time - years, I don't even remember how long but I would guess between 5 and 8 years. Last year I made the decision to get off them, I was at 400mg Seroquel at the time. I read a little bit online about how to taper them. From what I had read, antipsychotics had much faster half-life than antidepressants. I think the half-life of seroquel was 4-6 hours while my antidepressant was 26 hours. But from what I read, because of the short half life it was recommended antipsychotics could be weaned off less conservatively. I went from 400mg, to 300, to 200, to 100, and finally went from 100 to 0 within a 2month period. I never regretted that choice and I live fine without them. One suggestion is to not judge yourself on your sleeping patterns, that has helped me a lot. 

2005/6-2013 - A wild rollercoaster of meds I can't remmeber, i was on 40mg of zyprexa at one point daily
2014 200mg Zoloft /5mg Saphris
2015 April 200mg Zoloft /5mg Saphris
2015 May 200mg Zoloft / 400mg Seroquel
2015 June 200mg Zoloft / 300mg Seroquel
2015 July 150mg Zoloft / 200mg Seroquel
2015 August 125mg Zoloft / 100mg Seroquel
2015 September 100mg Zoloft / 50mg Seroquel
2015 October 50mg Zoloft
2015 November 75mg Zoloft

2016 November 100mg Zoloft; 112.5mg Clozaril 

was tapering off of Seroquel already when TD & dystonia got really bad so jumped off while working for first time in 10 years. stopped working due to dystonia but have been off for 6 months now and really happy to be off. am taking ballet class again. just stopped Lamictal. medication free now for 23 days.

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

If you're already seeing windows, I would also be scared to start taking a lot of herbs and vitamins. Ideally, if you are going the supplement route, it's best to try one at a time at a very small dose to see how you react.

I'm glad you're already seeing progress. 

Yeah thanks. Lesson learned. Started to have bad experiences with the ingestion of natural herbs so i cut that out too............

was tapering off of Seroquel already when TD & dystonia got really bad so jumped off while working for first time in 10 years. stopped working due to dystonia but have been off for 6 months now and really happy to be off. am taking ballet class again. just stopped Lamictal. medication free now for 23 d

Congrats on your journey to recovery........

• 2 months later...

Following this thread. I'm still tapering my seroquel. Feeling very sick.

Several ssri's, antipsychotics, opiads and benzo's since 2003.

Flurazepam: rapid taper after 6 weeks usage in beginning of march 2015

Trazodone: rapid taper from 50ms to 0mgs end of july 2015

Current medication:12 mgs seroquel (from 25mgs)

• 4 months later...

Would it be possible for those of us who have gotten off or are still on or tapering to have this topic devoted to us and our experiences, both the difficulties and the improvements etc. There seems to be no other place for us to share our collective experiences. Just a thought.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good point, Marsha. Thanks for posting that. If folks want a place to connect around their shared experience with neuroleptics, I've created a topic in the Relationships forum.

Being on or tapering from neuroleptic medications ("anti-psychotic" meds)

Let's keep this as thread for posts about successful tapers from this class of medications.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

I was on stelazine only when forced drugged in a mental hospital in my teens. Interestingly, I dont recall them ever giving me an Rx cor when I was discharged... I always believed it was more of a chemical restraint for us wild and crazy teenagers. :/

I would not have recalled any WD symptoms, but I had dystonia from taking it and was given cogentin, I believe. Or artane? this was in the 70s, mind you, a long time ago

I was forced to take Haldol for many months while impatient in a state hospital- never took it outside the hospital. Got  akathesia from haldol when they changed my dose and was given some drug for that side effect.

no wait, I did take ONE pill of haldol outside of the hospital and was instantly suicidal, so I knew that the drug was bad for me.

I don't recall any WD effects although I do recall being extremely tired and sleeping for long periods, that might have been a WD symptom I don't know

I was on zyprexa for a "manic episode" and CTed off that (but also CTed off depakote at the same time) I had a crushing depression afterward where  it hurt to breathe, I also had a lot of anxiety and was taking klonopin for that. I imagine a lot of the stuff that happened when I Ct'ed were WD symptoms but I never made the connection and of course, the dr never suggested that I was in WD

I was on a very high dose of seroquel for at least a year, maybe two? I had severe WD symptoms from Ct'ing off that but did not know that's what it was at the time. I had to take atenalol because my heart rate was so high. I have permanent heart muscle damage from that, but not enough to impair the function of my heart (not from the atenolol but because my heart rate was so high for so long BEFORE being treated for it) Lucky for me  I have a strong  heart to begin with, so the damage is not a concern for me now.

I was being switched around on all sorts of different drugs at the time, risperdal, trilafon etc and so, there ware side effects and WD all happening at once

amazingly, I was raising my daughter as a single mom thru all of this and did an OK job at that!

I have not been on any antipsychotics for over 10yrs and I believe i recovered from even the worst of the WD in a year or less, even thought it was CT and multiple drugs

I was not however, drug free- I have been on an SSRI (zoloft, first, then celexa and then lexapro) since er, sometime in the 1990's

I am not yet drug free, I am tapering off of that lexapro after being on it for about 13 yrs

almost there, though!! almost there!!!!!!

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• 3 months later...

Well, I stopped Zyprexa in 2012 and I consider myself completely recovered. But it was an 8 mo taper, not CT. If you are struggling I would really recommend reinstatement and a proper taper. 3 yrs before that a dr. tried me on 50% reductions and it was impossible.

How long you have been on zyprexa ? I've been on it 3 months last year and I don't feel like my usual self. Brain fog, memory loss, concentrating and thinking issues as well as depression and not feeling good emotions. Has anyone recover from this?

Thanks

2004-2007 paxil

2015- zoloft 3 months zyprexa 3 months lexapro 3 months xanax

Med free since Feb 28th 2017

Mostly experiencing PSSD

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I have added a tag, "antipsychotic recovery", to this topic and to Success Story threads where the original poster mentions having taken an antipsychotic medication.  If you click on the tag that appears below the title, you'll get a list of success stories on this site with that tag.

Edited to add:
Clicking on the tag brings up all topics with that tag, including Introductions and "Tips for Tapering" topics.
I ran a search for topics with tag="antipsychotic recovery" and location=Success Stories forum. Here are the

Partial list of "antipsychotic" medications for your site and web searches:

First generation medications (typical or neuroleptic)

chlorpromazine (Thorazine)

trifluoperazine (Stelazine)

perphenazine (Trilafon)

fluphenazine (Prolixin, Permitil)

mesoridazine (Serentil)

prochlorperazine (Compazine, Compro)

thioridazine (Mellaril)

thiothixene (Navane)

Second generation medications ("atypical")

aripiprazole (Abilify)

asenapine (Saphris)

brexpiprazole (Rexulti)

cariprazine (Vraylar)

clozapine (Clozaril)

iloperidone (Fanapt)

olanzapine (Zyprexa)

quetiapine (Seroquel)

paliperidone (Invega)

risperidone (Risperdal)

ziprasidone (Geodon)

Category miscellaneous "antipsychotic" drugs

haloperidol (Haldol)

lithium (many brand names)

loxapine (Loxatane, Adasuve)

molindone (Moban)

pimozide (Orap)

Edited by scallywag

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2016 at 6:04 PM, Wowzers said:

Haven't seen or heard anything in regards to antipsychotic recovery.

it's annoying isn't it?  i fully recovered from risperidone (aka risperdal) withdrawal but it took over a year though.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

15 hours ago, risperdalhater said:

it's annoying isn't it?  i fully recovered from risperidone (aka risperdal) withdrawal but it took over a year though.

Risperadalhater, 

You've recovered? Really? How long were you originally on it for? What were your original symptoms? You can send me a pm if you'd like. Thx I appreciate your time. 

Dec 2016 Risperidone 1 mg, Seroquel 25mg, Latuda 40mg 

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

Mar - Apr 2017 Aripiprazole (abilify) 10 mg

Apr 2017 - July 2017 Olanzapine (zyprexa) 5 mg tapered to 0mg

Oct 2017 - Present Effexor 37.5mg and Prozac 10mg 

It's good to read these stories as I've got 4 tapers to complete probably starting with seroquel (quetiapine).  I've got down to 50mg from 150mg in the last few months but need to hold to get stable again as I've pushed this too hard and too fast. My benzo will probably be next and the a/d's last as they are totally ineffective as are all the others I've tried. The last to go will be mirtazapine as it will help me with sleep during w/d's from the rest.

Dosulepin 75mg 1996 - 1997 tapered off no problem - Prozac sporadic use between 1995 and 2011 usually 9 months then off.

Mirtazapine 2015 tapered off after 4 months no problem -Prozac 20mg 2012-2015 tapered off no problems

Prozac 20mg April 2016-May 2016 stopped ct after 4 weeks due to adverse reaction I believe to be serotnin toxicity due to mirtazapine interaction

Escitlopram 10 mg May 2016 - cut to 5mg May 2016  stopped ct November 2016 no W/d's noted

Lyrica 300mg May 2016 - July 2017 - Taper from Jan to Jul 17 awful taper.

Lofepramine 150mg  November 2016 - January 2017 Swift w/d as it didn't work

Quetiapine 75mg November 2016 changed to 150 XL May2017 changed to 150mg IR July 2017 reduced to in 25mg steps from July to 50mg Oct 17. 37.5mg 12th Nov 17 - 35mg 20 Nov 17 - 30mg 22 Nov 17 - 25mg 24 Nov 17 dropped to 20mg Dec 17, 15mg Jan 18. Current taken at bedtime.

Quetiapine dropped Jan 17th 2018.

Dosulepin 75mg May 2017 - increased in 25mg steps to 175mg Oct 17 Reduced to 150mg Nov 17 current taken at bedtime

Diazepam 15mg May 2016 - c/t'd by shrink after 6 weeks. Reinstated at 12mg after 4 weeks June 16 - current 4mg 3 times a day morning, 2.30pm and bedtime.

Mirtazapine 15mg since March 2015 - current - pooped out within 4 weeks

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped flupentixol 1mg cold turkey, as advised by my ignorant psychiatrist. I suffered debilitating withdrawal and had to go on lexapro to stabilize (I also quit trazodone cold turkey at the same time). I do not know how I did not kill the stupid doctor that did this to me. Anyway one year later I am now tapering lexapro for over a year and I am in a pretty bad shape - both physically and mentally, however I can say that I have forgot about flupentixol, but do not know what part of my misery now is caused by my previous "medication" and what is caused by my current tapering of lexapro. Anyway I have quit flupentixol for the good.

nightmare began December 2014 ~13-14 months on: escitalopram - 10mg, mirtazapine -15mg, flupentixol - 1mg. Stopped escitalopram and mirtazapine cold turkey according to my psychiatrist advise. Went into severe insomnia.

-February 2016 ~7-8 months on: trazodone - 150mg, flupentixol - 1mg. Stopped trazodone and flupentixol cold turkey according to my psychiatrist advise. Went into state of severe insomnia and depression.

-September 2016: lamictal - 150mg. Developed severe rash, still in insomnia and depression from previous treatment. Stopped lamictal cold turkey, could not stand the side effects.

-October 2016: escitalopram - 10mg. Currently on 0.56mg escitalopram and suffering.

I'm following this thread, too. Just started tapering Seroquel.

2008: Cymbalta 60 mg, stopped at 30mg; Seroquel 25 mg for sleep; higher doses of Seroquel autumn 2008 and Lamictal started Dec. 2008

2009: Seroquel XR 300 mg + Seroquel IR 300 mg + Lamictal 300 mg

2010: Lamictal down to 200 mg. 2011: Seroquel XR down to 200mg (by first tapering IR 25mg at a time).

2015: started tapering Lamictal, down to 175mg, held for two weeks, down to 150 mg. Got symptoms.

2016: tapered Lamictal, now with 10 % rule and 3-week holds. Got it down to 100 mg. No significant symptoms.

2017: tapered Lamictal, with 10 % or less and held 3-6 weeks in between. Got it down to 50 mg in July.

Oct. 2017-Feb. 2018: tapered Seroquel IR from 200mg to 150mg. Feb. 2018: made a switch: Seroquel XR down to 150mg and IR up to 200mg.

April 2018: continued tapering Lamictal, down to 46 mg. June-Oct. 2018: continued with BM slide, down to 35mg.

April 2019: made a switch: Seroquel XR down to 100mg and IR up to 250mg. July IR down to 225mg, Aug. IR down to 200mg. Dec. Seroquel IR down to 190mg.

Jan. 2020: Seroquel IR down to 180mg. Feb. IR down to 175mg. March: IR back up to 200mg. May: Lamictal down to 34mg. July: made a switch: Seroquel XR down to 50mg and IR up to 250 mg. Held for 3 weeks, then IR down to 225 mg. Aug. IR down to 200 mg. Nov. Lamictal down to 33mg, Dec. down to 32mg.

Jan. 2021 down to 31mg, March 2021 Lamictal down to 30mg. June 2021: last switch: Seroquel XR down to 0mg and Seroquel IR up to 250mg.

Hi Althea,

I'm trying to get off of seroquel also because it just hasn't done anything for my depression which is still bad. I've chosen seroquel to start with after being on and off many medications in the past year or so just from a harm reduction point of view after finding out way to late what the side effects are from this class of drug. I was given it for sleep and told no more than that when it was prescribed so no informed consent. However I believe it's my benzo that's the main problem for me as I think it's perpetuating my depression. Also I've been on and off of meds for the last year with no benefit to me which has added to my plight.

I'm now on 30mg Seroquel from 150mg back in the summer and finding it hard going tbh and I'm always tempted to go more quickly than 10%. My shrink had me reducing at 25mg every 2 weeks and thought this perfectly reasonable.

My symptoms are the classic ones for this drug, mainly flu type feelings, poor sleep, tinnitus and nausea.

Good luck with your taper and keep posting your progress.

Staz

Dosulepin 75mg 1996 - 1997 tapered off no problem - Prozac sporadic use between 1995 and 2011 usually 9 months then off.

Mirtazapine 2015 tapered off after 4 months no problem -Prozac 20mg 2012-2015 tapered off no problems

Prozac 20mg April 2016-May 2016 stopped ct after 4 weeks due to adverse reaction I believe to be serotnin toxicity due to mirtazapine interaction

Escitlopram 10 mg May 2016 - cut to 5mg May 2016  stopped ct November 2016 no W/d's noted

Lyrica 300mg May 2016 - July 2017 - Taper from Jan to Jul 17 awful taper.

Lofepramine 150mg  November 2016 - January 2017 Swift w/d as it didn't work

Quetiapine 75mg November 2016 changed to 150 XL May2017 changed to 150mg IR July 2017 reduced to in 25mg steps from July to 50mg Oct 17. 37.5mg 12th Nov 17 - 35mg 20 Nov 17 - 30mg 22 Nov 17 - 25mg 24 Nov 17 dropped to 20mg Dec 17, 15mg Jan 18. Current taken at bedtime.

Quetiapine dropped Jan 17th 2018.

Dosulepin 75mg May 2017 - increased in 25mg steps to 175mg Oct 17 Reduced to 150mg Nov 17 current taken at bedtime

Diazepam 15mg May 2016 - c/t'd by shrink after 6 weeks. Reinstated at 12mg after 4 weeks June 16 - current 4mg 3 times a day morning, 2.30pm and bedtime.

Mirtazapine 15mg since March 2015 - current - pooped out within 4 weeks

I’m tapering Seroquel too.

Dropped from 150 mgs to 25mgs since 19 Sept 17 with few symptoms.

Dropped in 25mgs until 50mgs.

Then dropped 12.5 mgs at a time.

Since getting to 25 mgs I have had increased tinnitus. Muscle tension in neck and upper back.

Awakening at around 5am with cortisol surges.

Decided to hold at 25 mgs to stabilise.

Seroxat 1994 then Citalopram 2000- 2014 quit Citalopram CT and descended into Hell with PAWS pollydrugged on following Mirtazapine 30 mgs Seroquel 150 mgs 

Ativan 2 mgs June 2015 switched from Ativan to 20 mgs Valium Tapered-down slowly.

As of 15th March 17, I am benzo free. took 20 months to taper 20mgs Valium.

Seroquel tapered off 125mgs from 19 Sept 17 to 26 Dec. 17

current med 30mgs Mirtazapine

• Mentor

Was on masses of seroquel.        Did a dive after an unsuccessful attempt to stop ADs, so the ""sleeping tablet"" dose went up to a massive dose because the general practitioner said  ""oh you are only on a low dose, you can take up to ""insert amount"".          Problem being at a high dose it becomes a major antipsychotic.         The only reason I was ever psychotic was due to my adverse reactions to valium.
Long story short, hard to get off the crap, you need to recognise thoughts that are irrelevant and wrong.          Stay out of trouble, and taper slowly. 

It can be done, I was on a massive dose.              All gone now, and feeling great.    And beware, the lower the dose, the SLOWER you go in your taper.    

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 1 month later...

I ended up on this site back in 2013 due to CT from Citalopram (Celexa).

See signature for what happened then.

I tapered slowly from Benzos.

I then had a rest and searched the internet for advice on tapering.

The only real advice was on here under the tapering thread Seroquel.

I spoke to various pysche drs and a prof of Pharmacology. I trawled this site for horror stories and also benzo buddies. The vast amount of horror stories online were from people who had CT.

There were no horror stories that I found from people who had tapered.

It also depends why you were put on it.

As we know from this site with huge problems with people suffering from sxs due to SSRI and others. Plus many more on benzo buddies coming off benzos.

There is no anti psychotic withdraw forum tellingly.

I was at a relatively low dose for resistant depression and insomnia. A different approach may be needed if you have had a psychosis.

I have read of people on 2000mgs if that can be believed. I have read of many on 1000mgs.

Seroquel worked. My depression and insomnia have gone. They may have gone without Seroquel, but who knows.

I thought about a slow Valium like taper but took advice and switched to 100XR and 50IR from 150XR and dropped 25mgs to see what happened. I was prepared for a long slow taper. I had read numerous times that last 25mgs were the hardest to taper.

After dropping 25mgs I had one night of early wakening. I waited for all hell to bake loose and nothing happened.

This is how things progressed;

Seroquel taper began

19th Sept 17

150mgs XR 

To 100mgs XR and 25mgs IR

17% reduction

26th Sept 17

125 mgs XR

To 100 mgs XR

20% reduction

5th Oct 17

100 XR

To 50 mgs XR and 25 mgs IR

25% reduction

19th Oct 17

50 mgs XR and 25 mgs IR

To 50 mgs XR and 12.5 mgs IR

I then dropped in 12.5mg increments to 25mgs every few weeks.

At 25mgs I had a lightbulb moment when I was trying to make a liquid suspension and found I could not buy Ora plus in UK or it was hugely expensive to import from USA.

I purchased junior/baby paracetamol (Tylenol) syrup for £2.50 a bottle. 

Total consumed very compared to adult dose!

I dissolve a 25mgs pill in 10mil hot (not boiling) water for a good hour. Could see hundreds of tiny bits in solution, which worried me.

I then put 20 mil of my syrup (above) into dissolved pill.

Mixed this very will with a teaspoon and licked it clean.

I now had a nice suspension of those pesky bits.

I intended to draw out 1ml for 2 nights then 2ml for 2 nights and and so on and take 60 days to taper off last 25mgs.

2nd night I thought I will draw 2ml out and continue til I get side effects and then slow down.

I never did get any side effects and slid off last 25mgs in 30 days.

What symptoms did I have during taper.

A bit of short temper, easy to anger for little reason.

A few nights of early awakening, like 5am ish.

A couple of night difficulty falling asleep.

The worst symptom by far was muscle tension in neck and upper back.

Found it difficult to sit and meditate.

Compared to CT from Citalopram and slow benzo taper it was not difficult.

May have been somewhat cushioned by Mirtazapine.

Some say I may not be out of the woods yet.

It took just over 3 months to taper.

I have been off for 3 weeks and feel great.

I have been tapering my beta blocker which is making me tired.

It is a huge relief to be off Seroquel.

I hope this helps anyone thinking of tapering Seroquel.

I think if you have suffered from psychosis it may be wise to taper slower due to the risk of a rebound psychosis. This can happen in rare cases.

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font size

Seroxat 1994 then Citalopram 2000- 2014 quit Citalopram CT and descended into Hell with PAWS pollydrugged on following Mirtazapine 30 mgs Seroquel 150 mgs 

Ativan 2 mgs June 2015 switched from Ativan to 20 mgs Valium Tapered-down slowly.

As of 15th March 17, I am benzo free. took 20 months to taper 20mgs Valium.

Seroquel tapered off 125mgs from 19 Sept 17 to 26 Dec. 17

current med 30mgs Mirtazapine