If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Where are all the success stories?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#37 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

If you know of people who have recovered but haven't posted their success stories here, please invite them to do so.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#38 Vigor

Vigor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:02 PM

Hey Stan,

I mean no hostility with this post. I know you are still suffering greatly, I have seen other posts by you and I am sorry for what you are going through. This is just my opinion but this part of the forum is really peoples place they come to for hope. I don't think reading something to the effect that people tapering or people in the midst of cold turkey withdrawal will never recover. I have been on Paxil for 11 years and in the process of tapering, that is an extensive amount of time to be on this drug. But I know I will get through this, I do not know what lies ahead with symptoms I am not fooling myself in thinking this will be a cakewalk. I have the hope though I will know a life without this drug in my body. Reading posts like yours though only give me a feeling of doubt and uncertainty that I will recover. I am not saying you are not warranted in what you are feeling, but I just don't think this is the appropriate place for posts like that. 

There are stories on here about people recovering though and doing OK with 5 year updates. I have talked to people not from this forum that have been on various psych drugs for an extensive amount of time and they are doing better after tapering. All I am saying is please don't take the stories of others and put them to the majority of people currently tapering or in withdrawal. I believe in the body's power to heal it was one of the first things told to me when I came to this site in disarray. I hope you are doing better and if you ever want to message me I would appreciate it, I think you have a vast amount of experience and I would like to talk to you.  

All the best,

Paxil 20-30mgs since 2004.

Three previous withdrawal attempts 2008,2012 and 2015 all cold turkey.

Reinstated 10mg February 20th 2016

3/20/16-9mg 4/5/16-8mg 5/5/16-7mg 5/25/16-6mg 6/25/16-5mg 8/7/16-updose to 6mg 9/7/16 5.5mg 10/10/16-5mg 11/10/16-4.5mg

One thing that helps me is to see your withdrawal process as your own personal journey. Do not internalize someone else's withdrawal as your own. 

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."  - Maya Angelou

#39 compsports

compsports

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:29 AM

Vigor,

I have a different take as one who is still suffering big time even after being off of meds 6 years.   I read Stan's post not as being negative but as simply pointing out that people mentioned as success stories by a poster haven't chimed in themselves and it was important to keep that in mind.

To address your other concerns about keeping negativity out of this forum, in my opinion, the stories of long term veterans like myself and Stan are just as important as the folks who are successful.   I have never tried to claim that just because I am still struggling, that is going to be everyone's fate and I don't think Stan has done that either.

Instead of telling us to go elsewhere, why not learn from our experience and see if there are any lessons that might be applicable to newcomers.   For example, in my own situation, I wonder if I would have done better with a microtaper vs. tapering 10% of current dose every 4 weeks.  It didn't seem like it at the same but I feel something happened being on these meds and getting off of them that severely disrupted by sleep cycle to the point.  Or maybe I was going to have these problems no matter what I did but my point is that instead of shutting down issues like this, we need to have an honest discussion.

Regarding posts like Stan giving you feelings of doubt, I don't feel that is Stan's fault as we all are responsible for our thoughts, feelings, and actions.

I also mean no hostility.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Diagnosed with sleep apnea 2012 and on pap machine

Dealing with protracted sleep issues

#40 Yogagirl38

Yogagirl38

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:28 AM

I think I am a success story! I was on 50 mg zoloft for about 15 years. About 4 years ago i weaned too fast over 3 weeks and got severe discontinuation syndrome. So after being off it almost a month i had to go back on it. Then I developed neurological problems at that point which i have lived with 4 years about now. I developed something in the realm of parkinsonism, dystonia or dyskinesia, tic disorder, BFS. I do not have an official diagnosis. But I quit zoloft July 1, which was a month ago, and I did not get discontinuation syndrome (just some unpleasantness week 2 and week 3) and also all my neurological issues such as facial grimacing, twitching, and tremors are all disappearing. I haven't had facial grimacing in a few weeks! Fasiculations appear to be gone! No spasms. I dont feel the urge anymore like a spasm/tic/tremor whatever it is that i always tried to suppress is going to occur! That was an awful feeling.
My advice is for a drug like zoloft, you have to wean slow. As in for each 25 mg you drop stay there for 8 weeks. If it is a stressful period then do not drop further until that period passes. Get a good support group. You will need someone to unleash your feelings to at the end of the day, most days. Get a dry erase board and write the bad things about zoloft that it did to you. Erase and then write the good things about yourself. If you see it, it is easier to stay focused on the goal. Be prepared to be strong with no help from doctors. You can do it. Doctors in my experience are only there to push meds because they just don't have time or the knowledge to help. I am the first patient with a movement disorder from zoloft that my doctor has seen and he said it is now definitely under his radar to be aware of this in other patients (which is my goal, awareness). Do not succumb to thinking to take another drug or herbal supplement. You do not need that and that will worsen and prolong the cleansing process. Herbals are dangerous anyways and not regulated. Keep a journal. Practice yoga or preferably QiGong. Stay hydrated. Take hot baths with epsom salt. Lay down frequently with legs elevated to improve circulation. Avoid electronics and computers week 2 and 3. The focus puts too much of a strain and will get you too worked up. The confusion during those 2 weeks is intense so you need to treat yourself like someone with a concussion with avoidance of heavy brain stimulating activity such as being at the computer. Meditate. This is especially helpful weeks 2-3 when you may experience near syncope because as your body is adjusting for me it kept making my blood pressure drop 80/50 with pulse around 126. You just have to lay flat with legs elevated during that time period, it does pass. Eat a healthy whole grain diet with a lot of berries. Berries are high in antioxidants and that helps the neurotransmitters in your brain in my opinion, removes free radicals. Avoid refined carbs because the sugar rush they cause leads to anxiety. But eat lots of whole grains like brown rice and 100 percent whole grain wheat. Drink 2 cups daily of lactose free fatfree milk. Calcium has a soothing effect. Try to avoid additives and eat fresh made food. If you can take a month off work, do it. If you only get 2 weeks vacation time, take the vacation time starting day 4 to 5 off zoloft to well at the end day 21 off zoloft.
All these things help but the number one thing you can do is to wean slow! In January, i went down to 25 mg and stayed at 25 mg until end of April. Then i did 25 mg every other day until middle of June. Then for two weeks i did 25 mg, then skip 2 dAys, then take which brought me to the last pill i took was June 30, 2016. It is now August 1st 2016 and I never thought this would be possible but it is and it is possible for everyone out there! Just don't take other medications to help you wean down. Just wean down slowand be patient. Even if you feel ok you MUST do this slow weaning process.
On Zoloft 50 mg for 15 years. waa having basic stress and they said "here try this". Tried multiple times to get off and got discontinuation syndrome every time. Finally after weaning over 6 months I was able to quit Zoloft July 1, 2016. Doing well and finally did not get sick. Zoloft gave me neurological disorders which is why I got off... Fasiculations, resting tremors, spasms, facial grimacing, low BP (POTS), nocturia etc too long to list but now I am doing well and each day get better.

#41 Yogagirl38

Yogagirl38

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:46 AM

Oh also i will tell you that throughout the 15 years of zoloft use i tried multiple times with improper taperings like only taking 2-3 weeks to wean down and so each time i got sick, nonfunctional sick, like not even trusting myself to drive and i would compare it to heroin withdrawal but that was my own stupid fault for not weaning correctly. So then after my super severe discontinuation 4 years ago i developed what i would consider PTSD (yes it was that bad) and that nightmare of me laying on the couch wanting to die basically replayed in my head over and over but now after tapering down over 6 months i beat it, did not get discontinuation syndrome, and everyone can do this as long as they taper slow and take as long as you need it to be. Back 4 years ago when i had the discontinuation i will tell you what happened: weaned off zoloft over 2 or 3 week period and i asked doctor for lowest dose zanax (BAD! That will mess u up further) so i took one of those per day about 40 days in a row. Stupid mistake! Made me have increased anxiety during discontinuation. Here were the sxs: explosive feelings in body like i wanted to rest because of how weak i got but laying still was impossible, diarrhea, muscle weakness and fatigue like flulike symptoms, couldnt eat and severe nausea so i lost 20 lbs in one month, severe dizzyness, feeling like someone was shooting a bullet through my head, major panic, faint. At one point i called the doctor in panic and he said i could try to start taking something else like lexapro (bad mistake) took one pill and had a 3 hour long panic attack. I was so ill. Then i felt guilty because I couldn't do anything with my children, missed christmas, my hisband said "i just want my wife back". It was hard on everybody. Also i had this horrible pain in my ear/jaw area/side of face that wouldnt go away. So after a month off i had to go back on zoloft. Then remember if u read my post above that was when all my neurological disorders started.
This time i avoided all that by weaning slowly and everyone can do it, too!
On Zoloft 50 mg for 15 years. waa having basic stress and they said "here try this". Tried multiple times to get off and got discontinuation syndrome every time. Finally after weaning over 6 months I was able to quit Zoloft July 1, 2016. Doing well and finally did not get sick. Zoloft gave me neurological disorders which is why I got off... Fasiculations, resting tremors, spasms, facial grimacing, low BP (POTS), nocturia etc too long to list but now I am doing well and each day get better.

#42 Hopefull

Hopefull

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:01 AM

Hi Yogagirl38,
Your post is so refreshing !Good on you!
It is nice to read a success story.
I'm glad that you are doing well!
I also have long holds in between drops.
Your post gives me hope and I know that I will be Mitrazapine free soon. Best wishes to you and take care,
Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

#43 Alua

Alua

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationEmerald, australia

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

In my community which is a small one (16,000 people) of just the people I know, I can tell you the following success stories.
A) 75 year old man been on Paxil twice for approximately 4 years in total following a suicide attempt. He said they never helped him and he went off slowly over a year. That was about 6 years ago and he is fine.
B) a close friend of mine been on them twice. Had to ct once as pregnant a she said most horrific experience of her life. She went on them again for 4 years and weaned off slowly. She said for months and months afterwards it felt like her head was lifting off her scalp. She is doing fine 7 years later.
C) a member on here who has not posted her success story, too busy enjoying life. She was on pristiq 2 years weaned off over about 4 months and after a year of symptoms said she was finally living again.
D) a friend of mine on ads first Lexapro and then mostly pristiq 100mg for 3 years. Ct off 100mg pristiq and was terrible for about six weeks still suffers slightly but is doing great 1 year later.
E) a lady from my gym on zoloft for 2 years had to wean off due to pregnancy. 6 months off horrific initial withdrawals and now doing well.
F) a close friend on zoloft 15 years weaned off over a month that. Been off them a year still suffers horrible depression always will, insomnia, initial dizziness very bad but she is doing well despite that said she will never go back on. Credits the gym for helping her through. She did this with 5 kids to look after. She was bad on the drugs I remember one day meeting her at the park and she told me she had written suicide letters to all the kids and then burned them.

I know of others too probably at least half a dozen but they weaned off slowly and did not really suffer any withdrawal.

I come on these sites and I also look for success stories as a source of inspiration and hope during an awful time. The reality in my opinion is there are success stories all around us but many of them do not write on this forum. Those on this forum do not always come back either to write their success stories.

I tell everybody in my path about the horror of these drugs, and am astounded by how many people I have spoken to whom have had a negative experience with ads. Gosh even the shrink who writes my compounding scripts had an experience with them herself. Took 3 pills in two weeks became violently ill and had two car crashes!
<p>Various benzos 4 months for insomnia prior to Effexor 37.5mg may 2014 for two weeks, Mirtazapine 30mg june 2014 - feb 2015.Pristiq 50 mg Feb 2015. six weeks later attempted coming off with a six week taper. ten days off and it got ugly. Tapering now using compounded pristiq with slow release agent. 37.5 mg 3 weeks, 30 mg 6 weeks, 25mg 4.5 weeks, 20mg for 6 weeks, 17.5 mgs 7 weeks, 20 mg 8 weeks, 19 mg 3 weeks, 18 mg 3 weeks, 17 mg 3 weeks, 16 mg 3 weeks, 15mg 2 weeks, 14mg 2 weeks, 13 mgs 2 weeks, 12 mgs 6 weeks, 11mg 3 weeks, 10.5mg 2 weeks, 10 mg 3.5 weeks. 9mg is my current dose

#44 Christian

Christian

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for sharing. I do find it hard to believe out of 16,000 members we only have a dozen or so success stories. Paxil Progress seemed go have a lot more for whatever reason. I know there are a lot more successes then the ones that bothered to share.
Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.
Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.
Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.
Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until
12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.
Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.
Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.
2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days
6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron
10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

#45 Alua

Alua

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

Hi Christian when I say my community of 16,000 that's the number who live in my town. Just to clarify.
<p>Various benzos 4 months for insomnia prior to Effexor 37.5mg may 2014 for two weeks, Mirtazapine 30mg june 2014 - feb 2015.Pristiq 50 mg Feb 2015. six weeks later attempted coming off with a six week taper. ten days off and it got ugly. Tapering now using compounded pristiq with slow release agent. 37.5 mg 3 weeks, 30 mg 6 weeks, 25mg 4.5 weeks, 20mg for 6 weeks, 17.5 mgs 7 weeks, 20 mg 8 weeks, 19 mg 3 weeks, 18 mg 3 weeks, 17 mg 3 weeks, 16 mg 3 weeks, 15mg 2 weeks, 14mg 2 weeks, 13 mgs 2 weeks, 12 mgs 6 weeks, 11mg 3 weeks, 10.5mg 2 weeks, 10 mg 3.5 weeks. 9mg is my current dose

#46 Christian

Christian

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:41 PM

Oh geez I'm sorry about that. The Fog is extra thick tonight. I shouldn't be posting when it is!
Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.
Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until
12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.
Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.
Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.
2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days
6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

#47 Alua

Alua

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

No its not you I read it back and didn't make it clear Christian...I have a habit of doing that! Hope you get some sleep. X

#48 Tootsieroll

Tootsieroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

In my community which is a small one (16,000 people) of just the people I know, I can tell you the following success stories.
A) 75 year old man been on Paxil twice for approximately 4 years in total following a suicide attempt. He said they never helped him and he went off slowly over a year. That was about 6 years ago and he is fine.
B) a close friend of mine been on them twice. Had to ct once as pregnant a she said most horrific experience of her life. She went on them again for 4 years and weaned off slowly. She said for months and months afterwards it felt like her head was lifting off her scalp. She is doing fine 7 years later.
C) a member on here who has not posted her success story, too busy enjoying life. She was on pristiq 2 years weaned off over about 4 months and after a year of symptoms said she was finally living again.
D) a friend of mine on ads first Lexapro and then mostly pristiq 100mg for 3 years. Ct off 100mg pristiq and was terrible for about six weeks still suffers slightly but is doing great 1 year later.
E) a lady from my gym on zoloft for 2 years had to wean off due to pregnancy. 6 months off horrific initial withdrawals and now doing well.
F) a close friend on zoloft 15 years weaned off over a month that. Been off them a year still suffers horrible depression always will, insomnia, initial dizziness very bad but she is doing well despite that said she will never go back on. Credits the gym for helping her through. She did this with 5 kids to look after. She was bad on the drugs I remember one day meeting her at the park and she told me she had written suicide letters to all the kids and then burned them.

I know of others too probably at least half a dozen but they weaned off slowly and did not really suffer any withdrawal.

I come on these sites and I also look for success stories as a source of inspiration and hope during an awful time. The reality in my opinion is there are success stories all around us but many of them do not write on this forum. Those on this forum do not always come back either to write their success stories.

I tell everybody in my path about the horror of these drugs, and am astounded by how many people I have spoken to whom have had a negative experience with ads. Gosh even the shrink who writes my compounding scripts had an experience with them herself. Took 3 pills in two weeks became violently ill and had two car crashes!

Wow thank you for taking the time to write all this.  So comforting to see that there is an end to this darkness.  Though I do see a correlation even among your short list, it seems the ones that were on for a very short period healed much quicker than say someone who has been on for 15 years.  If that's not proof enough of the amount of damage done than I'm not sure what is!!  Nonetheless, healing does happen regardless of duration drug was taken, that is the thought I hold on to.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

#49 servadei

servadei

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:41 AM

http://www.mindfreed...ersonal-stories
"The MindFreedom Personal Story Project collects histories from psychiatric survivors and mental health consumers about their experiences of survival, resistance, recovery and self-determination in the mental health system. Many participants in the project have struggled through difficult emotional times, and all have suffered through psychiatric labeling and an often abusive and patronizing mental health system, yet they survived, and even thrive."

Don't know if anybody posted this already but here you go people.

Jan2014-July2015 Escitalon (escitalopram) 10mg

10/10/2015- 4 months in withdrawal, coping very hard, praying for a window

#50 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,117 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

And here I sit at 8 years 7 months and 20 days off.... not sure if I should do battle here or just not bother cause nobody wants to hear it anyway.... 

I will just say we are out here if you choose to acknowledge us or not we exist

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivinganti...ng-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

#51 servadei

servadei

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:48 PM

btdt, what symptoms do you have?

Jan2014-July2015 Escitalon (escitalopram) 10mg

10/10/2015- 4 months in withdrawal, coping very hard, praying for a window

#52 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,117 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

btdt, what symptoms do you have?

read my thread the link is at the end of all my posts 

happy reading

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

#53 alex

alex

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

btdt,you sound bitter and angry.Not very good for this process...

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

#54 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,117 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

It seems you are very much recovered... I am not sure what is going on with me but I feel very much not recovered just now it could be I have a brain tumour ... that is what we say isn't it but whatever it is sure feel like good old wd.  I suggest 8 years of this coming and going is different than 3 or 5 even... at 5 I had a timeline of 7 I was hoping for to be completely healed.  If I sound bitter or angry... maybe I am.  I can't discern exactly how I feel other than fed up and confused.  If your comment was meant to be helpful to in some way inspired me to be not bitter or angry ( was it a reminder that my attitude is keeping me sick to stop having that attitude?)  I am a bit better today and I don't think my attitude had anything to do with it... I have many times pulled myself and others up ... and laid down the battle fatigues in order to reach a more healing place... it has not held... why...I do not know.  

Suggesting to me at this point that I am not doing enough to help myself when I know I am doing the very best I can hurts.  

Had a car accident in 85

#55 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,117 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:26 PM

I thought about bitter...and angry some more after I made the last post I thought of all the posts I have read in 8 years from people who were so angry at how wd had affected their lives and their families how anger is a part of wd of all the threads talking about anger and rage even in wd... about neuro emotions... there are a lot of anger angles if you put the two words together it is an almost endless array of withdrawal site posts chapters in books written on the subject... almost endless. 

Anger is part of this beast no matter how you look at it I would doubt anybody gets thru this process without having to face anger in its many forms.  There are times when we are fragile anger can be an enemy or even dangerous but there will come a time when anger has been mostly wrestled to its knees a different type of anger is found sitting like a solid stone born of experience and of knowledge each of us come to know our own truth and it becomes light to the path forward. That is how it seems to me at some point in time anger shifts it can become an empowering force it can just sit solid waiting to be tapped it is not always negative to know anger sometimes it is a signpost or a light. 

Anger can be a good thing a very good thing.

Had a car accident in 85

#56 Christian

Christian

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:05 PM

BTDT,
I'm sorry you are struggling for so long. In regards to your symptoms, many of us come to the site on our phones so can't see signatures. Do you mind me asking what are the symptoms that you think are holding you back. I'm 8 months into my adverse reaction. 14 months since I was last stable on lexapro. I have to say the cognitive impairment and severe waves of boat like feelings keep me from being functional.

#57 compsports

compsports

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:02 AM

Alex,

With all due respect, it is our suppressing "unacceptable" emotions like bitterness and anger that caused most of us to be placed on these meds.   As a result, I fail to understand why you have a problem with them and telling someone to stop feeling a certain way comes across as very unsupportive even though I am sure that wasn't your intention.

Also, keep in mind that when someone posts what may seem like a post that is too negative to you, they may not be telling the whole story of what they have tried in their recovery.   They may have tried a "million" things to move forward in a positive direction only to feel like everything blew up in their face. Anyone would feel discouraged in that situation.

And even if they have tried zilch, they still deserve to be supported in a positive manner of encouragement that is accepting of all emotions whether they be positive or negative.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Diagnosed with sleep apnea 2012 and on pap machine

Dealing with protracted sleep issues

#58 Hibari

Hibari

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

I thought about bitter...and angry some more after I made the last post I thought of all the posts I have read in 8 years from people who were so angry at how wd had affected their lives and their families how anger is a part of wd of all the threads talking about anger and rage even in wd... about neuro emotions... there are a lot of anger angles if you put the two words together it is an almost endless array of withdrawal site posts chapters in books written on the subject... almost endless. 

Anger is part of this beast no matter how you look at it I would doubt anybody gets thru this process without having to face anger in its many forms.  There are times when we are fragile anger can be an enemy or even dangerous but there will come a time when anger has been mostly wrestled to its knees a different type of anger is found sitting like a solid stone born of experience and of knowledge each of us come to know our own truth and it becomes light to the path forward. That is how it seems to me at some point in time anger shifts it can become an empowering force it can just sit solid waiting to be tapped it is not always negative to know anger sometimes it is a signpost or a light. 

Anger can be a good thing a very good thing.

Anger can be a Very good thing.  It has energy and the power to move us forward even when we are sitting still.

September 2013-April 2014: After the death of my mom in July 2012.-became very depressed in September of 2013. Given a series of antidepressants very quickly from about 4 different psychiatrists in a 6 month period. Each one was from 1 day to 10 days at the most. My body could not handle it-I had Zoloft 4 days, Lexapro-1 day, Nortriptyline-10 days, Liquid Prozac, 1 week, Cymbalta 1 week.

December 2013-September 2014: Put on Xanax after a reaction to the Lexapro, averaging .50-1mg per day. Switched to Clonazepam-midway averaging about 0.25-0.50 daily.

June 2014: Jan/Feb 2015: Put on 7.5 Remeron titrate up to 41.25mgs 

September 2014-July 2015: Put on 25mgs of Lamictal titrate up to 200mgs daily. Also stopped the Clonzepam- never felt the wd I had experienced when I tried to stop it before (knowing nothing about withdrawal) because the Lamictal calmed me down.

Currently: Tapering both medications together using micro cuts. Started tapering Remeron in January 2015,  Started tapering Lamictal July 2015 Main wd symptoms-sweating, nausea, headaches, deep crying, anxiety. 12/21/16 Remeron 1.6 Lamictal 22.50 mgs 1/19/17 Remeron 1.2mgs, Lamictal 22.50mg 2/12/17 Remeron 1.2 Lamictal 21.25 mgs  3/4/17 Remeron 0.85  Lamictal 21.25 3/14 Remeron 0.85  Lamictal 20mgs

Additional Support: Acupuncture with Reflexology, Alanon, L-Theanine for anxiety as needed, Estradial patch 0.025, Bio-indentical Progesterone cream 150-200  Armour Thyroid 90mgs.

#59 stan

stan

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:07 AM

hello btdt

i want to say hello, your box message seem not function for me, maybe i made wrong, i am not specialist 

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

66 years old - 7 years 2 months med free

in protracted withdrawal syndrome

muscles pain..fatigue...off balance and dizzy...sleep very bad...dryness syndrĂ´me...prostate...derealization...itching psoriasis...unable to be quiet inside... to rest though improvements akathisia...dilate bronchitis ...auto-immune disorder...conversion disorder...strong back pains...permanent stress...emotions no control...my senses are false... many feelings are false since beginning...locomotor disorder ...

#60 alex

alex

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:20 PM

Alex,

With all due respect, it is our suppressing "unacceptable" emotions like bitterness and anger that caused most of us to be placed on these meds.   As a result, I fail to understand why you have a problem with them and telling someone to stop feeling a certain way comes across as very unsupportive even though I am sure that wasn't your intention.

Also, keep in mind that when someone posts what may seem like a post that is too negative to you, they may not be telling the whole story of what they have tried in their recovery.   They may have tried a "million" things to move forward in a positive direction only to feel like everything blew up in their face. Anyone would feel discouraged in that situation.

And even if they have tried zilch, they still deserve to be supported in a positive manner of encouragement that is accepting of all emotions whether they be positive or negative.

CS

I am sorry I meant no harm.

I feel bitter and angry sometimes also.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

#61 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,117 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:11 AM

BTDT,
I'm sorry you are struggling for so long. In regards to your symptoms, many of us come to the site on our phones so can't see signatures. Do you mind me asking what are the symptoms that you think are holding you back. I'm 8 months into my adverse reaction. 14 months since I was last stable on lexapro. I have to say the cognitive impairment and severe waves of boat like feelings keep me from being functional.

happy reading I have been on this site only since 2011  before that I was in wd since 2008 close to 9 years now many other support sites that are now closed in the early years that you can't read

Had a car accident in 85

#62 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,117 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:13 AM

Alex,

CS

Thanks Comsports while all things are different in wd... we do try to make allowances for people who are in a bad mood and need to write something a bit not nice or what seems to others to be not nice it is one of the complications of wd sites... fear is a big part of that I am sure.  Early on I may have made the same type post to a person who was almost 9 years out and still not done who knows. Thanks non the less the support is heartfelt as in I felt it in my heart :)

Had a car accident in 85

#63 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,117 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

that is ok 

Alex,

CS

I am sorry I meant no harm.

I feel bitter and angry sometimes also.

that is ok see the post above I have had my days too...many of them this is a difficult process to understand it takes time and living it and struggle and a few bouts of overcoming or just existing thru severe crap you think your not going to survive to give you some anger of the rock kind.... 

anger is normal in this is my take on it

Had a car accident in 85

#64 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,117 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:18 AM

hello btdt

i want to say hello, your box message seem not function for me, maybe i made wrong, i am not specialist 

my email if full I deleted one today to make some room I am not up to making decisions on what to keep and what to delete just now should be room for one at least.... 

Hi Stan I don't think your wrong I now have a movement disorder not happy about it working on finding the cause... 

peace to you

Had a car accident in 85

#65 Chicago77

Chicago77

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

I promise all of you when I'm recovered, I will come back and write about it. It's the least I can do, especially when so many people on this site have helped me thus far in my journey. It's been truly hell and I think we all want to read a positive story when you are in the midst of all of this. It's so hard for the people around you to understand what you are going through because they are not living it. Honestly, if I wasn't going through this, then I wouldn't probably understand either. It's here that we come looking for answers, hope, support. It's the success stories that give us that hope when you REALLY need it. If anyone is reading this post in 2018 or 2019(assuming I'm recovered by then), I PROMISE you will see a success story from me on here. I hope that anyone else that is reading this does the same when they are recovered. It's important to give back and share your success with others who are still suffering. Then after that, go live your life and enjoy every moment of it SSRI free!!! You deserve it!   :D

Took 10 mg of Lexapro for 15 years. Started to taper in October 2015. Took last 1mg dose in March 2016. Started having side effects end of March 2016. Symptoms include: anxiety, heart palpitations, shaky, chronic fatigue, body feels like lead(so heavy), brain fog and dizziness and really bad pain especially on right side of body. 

Symptoms as of 10/18/16- Burning skin, widespread body pain, some insomnia, some fatigue, some brain fog, anxiety upon waking up, numbing and tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints. 

#66 Madeleine

Madeleine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

I keep wondering about this too.... i.e. why don't more people come back and post their success story....

March 15/2017: 3.75 zyprexa; January 16/2017: 6.25 mg; down from 10 mg December 2016
200 zoloft. Tapering that next.

#67 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

I added my success story today.

Yes it takes awhile.  But it's worth it.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.