If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Southwest UK Support Group - Please check in here if interested

Southwest UK support group; Veterans; Newbies;

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationReading, UK and also Southwest, UK

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

A message to all those living in the Southwest UK:-

I am working on starting a support group for those of us based in the Southwest UK.  This is a way for us help eachother and also encourage social aspects/friendship.

Ideas so far as follows:

The group would meet once a month in a different location to suit each member.

The SurvivingAntidepressants.org website would be our base for communication i.e. we would not have our own website.

The group would comprise a mix of 'Veteran' and 'Newbie' members.

There would be a structure to the meet ups - this is to be decided.

For those of you who are interested please could you sign up under this message.

Thank you

Junglechicken

Feb 2014 -Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg dailyJune 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 daysSept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering.Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms disappeared over a few days.Have been on this dose ever since and am experiencing "windows" and "waves".Nov 15th 2016 Re-start regular counsellingJan 19th 2017 Start CBT<p>Plan to re-start taper (liquid Cipralex/Escitalopram) Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 4th Jan 2017.

#2 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

Well, we have made a great start, and so far we have interest from the following SA members:

Africa - based in Exeter (DEVON)

Funkybaboon - based in Torquay (DEVON)

Pocketnurse - based in HAMPSHIRE

Daddycee - based in Bristol (AVON)

Junglechicken - based in Yeovil (SOMERSET)

I'm going to send a message to all the above asking who is a 'Veteran' and who is a 'newbie' - this is in regard to the number of years they have been taking AD's and their level of 'experience' in tapering etc.,

Thanks guys,

JC x

Feb 2014 -Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg dailyJune 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 daysSept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering.Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms disappeared over a few days.Have been on this dose ever since and am experiencing "windows" and "waves".Nov 15th 2016 Re-start regular counsellingJan 19th 2017 Start CBT<p>Plan to re-start taper (liquid Cipralex/Escitalopram) Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 4th Jan 2017.

#3 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:48 AM

Our first meeting will be in Somerset on Sat 14th May.

Venue and time to be confirmed.

Looking forward to it x

#4 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

I can confirm that the first meeting will be in the Fleur de Lis pub in Stoke-sub-Hamdon, Somerset between 12 noon and 4pm on Sat 14th May.

I have booked the function room on the LH side of the main entrance and the landlord would be happy if people had a meal and/or drinks.

All future Somerset meetings will be held here.

Looking forward to it!

Best,
JC x

#5 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

It was an honour to meet founding members Africa and Reflex - thanks both for travelling all the way from Exeter and Bristol for our first meeting :0)

We decided against having any 'structure' to the meetings and just talked and talked for 3 hours straight. It was the best feeling in the world.....we are NOT alone in this WD struggle any more!

Also, next months meeting will be held in Exeter on June 11th - venue/time TBC. Thanks Funky!

July 1st meeting will likely be held in Bristol. Thanks Reflex!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone over the months and am happy that we have each other for support IN PERSON, lol

Hugs,
JC

#6 Africa

Africa

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:12 PM

It was so wonderful to meet you JC and and Reflex.

It felt so good to talk and not feel judged.

It was such a good idea to have this support group and I hope we get to meet more members.

Hugs

Africa
<p>February 2009 started taking Paroxetine 10 mg everyday. Started reducing very slowly in February 2015.15 December 2015 Was on 5 mg Paroxetine 4 days a week and 7.5 mg 3 days a week. Severe withdrawal. Back to 7.5mg everyday from today 25 March 2016 starting 7.1 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 23 May 2016 starting 6.7 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 4 July 2016 starting 6.3 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks). 2 September 2016 starting 5.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 10 weeks) 9 November 2016 starting 5.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 4 January 2017 starting 5.3 mg

#7 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

Thank you Africa :0)

It was wonderful to meet you and Reflex too and very therapeutic to be able to chat with you special ladies and share one's deepest fears etc.,

Can't wait till our next meeting and putting faces to our other members names.

JC X

#8 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:19 AM

We are all set for our next meeting in Bristol/Avon to be held on Sat 9th July.  Time place TBC as being kindly organised by DaddyCee.

Looking forward to meeting you DaddyCee!

JC

#9 Schnozzle

Schnozzle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Please read, important: http://survivinganti...e-now/?p=233432

2001-2002 Venlafaxine 300mg (2 x 150mg double strength Efexor XL). Instructed by GP to reduce dosage by alternating between 300mg one day and 0mg the next, with predictable results. Managed that for approx 2 weeks, then to avoid suicide went full cold turkey.

2009-2015 Successful non-drug treatments - CBT for anxiety, light therapy for seasonal affective disorder.

2001-2015 ongoing withdrawal symptoms. Primarily apocalyptic nightmares that take a full day to recover from, also loss of smell and memory.

#10 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

I just found out about this from Africa.

In total shock: he was so looking forward to his trip to the US (to see family) and other adventures in Europe.

We will really miss him.

#11 Reflex

Reflex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:00 AM

So sorry to hear about your friend and fellow group member.

Really sorry that I didn't get to meet him as well

Best wishes to you Africa and Jungle chicken
Dec 2005 prozac following period of bullying by collegue 2006 changed to Citalapram 20- increased to 40mg
April 2014 decision to come off A.D. Gp appointment swapped to seralatine (lustral)50 as a means of getting off A.D .
raised to 100. 14.7.14 5 weeks taper on doctors recommendation.28th July finished reduction. 4.8.14- 9.9.14 severe withdrawal effects. 13.10.14 reinstatement of 20mg Prozac.dec 2014 started gradual taper 10% every 3 weeks. 14.9.15 1.6 ml currently. Some minor withdrawal effects but holding firm. 10% reduction every 3 weeks. Reached .8 experienced withdrawal symptoms held for longer . 7.4.16 currently on .7ml Prozac. More difficult the lower you go. 25.7.16 holding at .57 ml for a while as period of stress and withdrawal.
2.9.16 Hip operation prescribed codeine and paracetamol for the pain. Stopped after three weeks for fear of addiction. following period of instability and withdrawal symptoms updosed to 1. Ml 28.10.16.

#12 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:00 AM

It was a privilege to have know him for the short period that I did, and totally tragic that his life should end so abruptly.

Thank you for your kind words Reflex.

#13 Schnozzle

Schnozzle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:49 AM

Adam's memorial service will be on July 15th in Torquay, if you would like to be there please let me know on i_h@hotmail.com

2001-2002 Venlafaxine 300mg (2 x 150mg double strength Efexor XL). Instructed by GP to reduce dosage by alternating between 300mg one day and 0mg the next, with predictable results. Managed that for approx 2 weeks, then to avoid suicide went full cold turkey.

2009-2015 Successful non-drug treatments - CBT for anxiety, light therapy for seasonal affective disorder.

2001-2015 ongoing withdrawal symptoms. Primarily apocalyptic nightmares that take a full day to recover from, also loss of smell and memory.

#14 JamesMoore

JamesMoore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:45 PM

Hi all,

Firstly I just wanted to say how sad I was to read the news above, Adam was clearly a popular member of the community and will be missed.

I'm new to the forums here but, like many of you, I am struggling to withdraw from my medication (in my case Mirtazapine). I feel so strongly about this that I believe that the Pharmaceutical companies should assist users who want to stop or reduce their medications.

I have created a petition at Change.org and I would be really grateful if you would visit the petition, sign it and make your friends, families and/or co-workers aware of it too. The more we get this issue recognised and discussed, the greater the chance that we can get the help we need.

The petition has so far had the support of a few charities including Mind and also by Dr. Ben Goldacre.

Thanks and my best wishes to anyone struggling with anti-depressant withdrawal.

James

https://www.change.o...epression-drugs

#15 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

This came into sa this morning please consider sending them your story

I'm a British BBC TV reporter and I want to make a film about the problems of withdrawing from antidepressants. I'm keen to hear from people who've struggled with SSRIs, particularly if you like in the UK. Also what you think about the lack of support groups, or if you HAVE a support group, how do you help?

Please email me your stories, confidentially at first, of course, although ultimately I'm looking for people who will be willing to stand up and speak about what's happened to them.  I think few people know or report this sort of problem and I know many of you are really really struggling for help.  My BBC2 programme wants to expose all this, so please get in touch.

Lesley.ashmall@bbc.co.uk

Thank you very much.  This forum has been recommended to me by several long-term members, so forgive my intrusion.

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am)28 Sept 15 (5yrs drug free), cf, cmw, insomnia  horrifying pssd continues, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, cognitively doing heaps better. 28 Sept 16 after 6 yrs start working again on a casual basis.

The doctor of the future will give no medicine but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.' - Thomas A. Edison

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#16 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:39 AM

Thanks nz11,

Lesley interviewed me a couple of weeks ago after I approached her.

She mentioned that she would email me the footage or video once its been edited etc.,

Will keep you guys posted when I hear back.

JC

#17 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:29 AM

Email from Lesley Ashmall received today (18th Oct 2016):

Thank you all so much for your help.  The BBC2 programme will air tomorrow morning (barring a big breaking news story). I know some of you are abroad, but for those of you in Britain, it’s on the BBC2 Victoria Derbyshire, between 9am -11am.  

The long 12 minute film will air first, between 9am-10am and then afterwards, between 10am and 11am a shorter version will be broadcast and we will have a live studio discussion with guests.  I’d urge any of you to get in touch with the programme after 9am tomorrow, with questions and even your stories.  We can then put them to our guests, but also if the editor sees how many people have been affected by this, we may be able to do a larger investigation at a later date.  There are certainly some issues raised over the course of my research which I think could do with a deeper look (they involve more lawyers though, so we’d need a little more time).

But I just wanted to encourage you all to watch the programme.

I have shorter social media clips available too, which I’ll send on and hopefully you can all share on your forums etc.

Thank you all for your help,

Lesley Ashmall

Reporter BBC TV

The Victoria Derbsyhire Programme

07711-894243

020-3614-3111

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b05qqk5c

#18 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:56 AM

Hi all,

Here is the link to the BBC 2 "The 'extreme' side-effects of antidepressants" by Lesley Ashmall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-37682355

Best,

JC x

#19 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:00 AM

Hi guys,

Our next meeting will be on Sat, 12th Nov @ noon.

The Anchor, Gordano, Bristol.

JC x

#20 artSet3561

artSet3561

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:47 AM

Hi. Shaftesbury Dorset, just noticed the meeting today 😩 But hopefully catch the next one x
50mg sertraline daily

tapered one less tablet a week for four weeks then two less tablets a week, equally spaced for four weeks.

Got lost with where I was up to on the taper and started to get symptoms when I did take a dose so quit cold turkey after about two months of taper.

Last tablet late September 2016
Early November started experiencing awful mental and mood symptoms
November reinstated 4mg Sertraline and symptoms subsided. Hanging here for a while
December back to 25mg every other day still struggling
December taking 12.5mg Sertraline every day.
I have been supplementing Fish oil, vitamin E and Magnesium since November

#21 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:23 PM

Hey artSet3561,

Great to have you here, and a warm welcome to the group!

Our next meeting will be on Saturday 10th December, and will be our Christmas get together. Venue to be decided, lol.

I will add you to our group messages too, and looking forward to meeting you :0)

Take care,
JC

#22 ikam

ikam

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

Do you meet up in person or via Skype? I live to far away, in Essex, long journey...

- Started various antidepresants in 1983 (doxepin, amitriptiline, anafranil), always stopped abruptly and then reintroduced; Long term use of benzos since 1983, on and off, in times prolonged use
- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Atenolol 25mg, twice a day (both as a migraine prevention); Low dose of HRT (Sandrena gel +  Utrogestan 100mg)- evening; Nasal spray Otrivine for about 3 years- evening and morning (Used to abuse nasal spray for years). PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

- 24.10.2014- Started escitalopram-first 5mg and then 10mg; 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg (I had an adverse response to escitalopram and doxepin; hence I was decreasing escitalopram faster)

- June 2015- decreased Doxepin from 75mg to 50mg; 28 November- intentional over-dose (doxepin- 250mg). 1-2 April- over-dose 350mg, 17.07.2016 Doxepin 150mg- intentional over-dose(Tendency to overdose when stressed out...)

- 22.07.2016- reduced by 1%, 29.07- reduced by 2%, 2.08- reduced by 3%, 9.08- reduced by 4%. Holding for 5 weeks

- 13.09- reduced by 5%, 20.09- reduced by 6%, 27.09.2016 reduced by 7% , 4.10- reduced by 8% = 2.3mg. Holding for 5 weeks

- 14.11- reduced by 9%, 22.11- reduced by 10% = 2.25mg HOLDING

-20.12- changed my diet and supplements protocol; Ionic Liquid Iron twice 100ml, Liquid Zynk- twice- 50ml, MegaMag Liquid- evening 100ml, Curcumin 600mg x 3 a day Burdock Root + Epsom Baths. Changed diet to Protein one + Veg; Avoiding carbs. Protein Shake (Pure Power Protein Powder by Mercola) + Supergreens + Coconut Oils, Himalayan Salt with lemon

#23 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

Do you meet up in person or via Skype? I live to far away, in Essex, long journey...

Hi Ikam,

We meet in person. BUT I hadn't thought of Skype sessions, that's actually a great idea.

Let me sleep on it ok? I like your idea a lot.

TC,
JC xx

#24 Simo

Simo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:17 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to SA, struggling to withdraw from Olanzapine/Zyprexa- it is the bain of my life!

I live in Woking, Surrey, would love to meet up with fellow SA members if possible. I'm obviously quite far from some of you people.

best wishes,

Simo

Struggling with Olanzapine / Zyprexa withdrawal.      

Failed withdrawal attempt in November 2016, which resulted in me reinstating at 10mg's.

4th - 9th Jan: 10mg.      10th Jan - Present: 7.5mg's

#25 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to SA, struggling to withdraw from Olanzapine/Zyprexa- it is the bain of my life!

I live in Woking, Surrey, would love to meet up with fellow SA members if possible. I'm obviously quite far from some of you people.

best wishes,

Simo

Hi Simo,

Welcome to the group....great to have you!

I drive from Reading, Berks to get to our monthly group meetings in Ham Green (nr Gordano, Bristol).  Its takes me 1.5hrs straight along the M4.

It depends how far you are prepared to travel, but it is only once a month, and so the trip is worth it in my mind.....it is a fantastic group of people and we have been meeting since mid-2016.

We are also in contact between each meeting.

Our next meeting is fast approaching on Saturday 14th January @ The Anchor Pub, Ham Green, nr Gordano.

I hope you'll join us.

Take care,

JC

#26 Simo

Simo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

JC,

I'll do my best to make it! I suffer terribly with lethargy as a result of being on Olanzapine, and I'm also a bit nervy on my own, but it sounds like a great opportunity to meet people like myself. I'll really try to get there.

What time are you meeting at that pub?

Simo

Failed withdrawal attempt in November 2016, which resulted in me reinstating at 10mg's.

#27 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

JC,

I'll do my best to make it! I suffer terribly with lethargy as a result of being on Olanzapine, and I'm also a bit nervy on my own, but it sounds like a great opportunity to meet people like myself. I'll really try to get there.

What time are you meeting at that pub?

Simo

Hi Simo,

We usually meet at 12 until around 3/3:30pm.

Be safe is the main thing, if you're feeling lethargic from the AD, then best not drive until that lifts.

Don't worry, we were all a bit nervy to begin with......its understandable when meeting total strangers!

Hopefully see you there, if not ....... then the next month.

JC

#28 Simo

Simo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

JC,

OK, i'm intending on meeting you there  (providing I'm not too lethargic from the Olanzapine (one of those horrible antipsychotic/neuroleptic drugs that mess with the dopamine)).

How will I know "it's you"?

How many people normally attend?

Simo

#29 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

JC,

OK, i'm intending on meeting you there  (providing I'm not too lethargic from the Olanzapine (one of those horrible antipsychotic/neuroleptic drugs that mess with the dopamine)).

How will I know "it's you"?

How many people normally attend?

Simo

Simo,

Our biggest headcount is 4, but for the last few months we have only been 3 as Reflex (one of our founding members) had a major operation in early Sept 2016 which put her into a massive wave.  We haven't heard from her since before Christmas, but hopefully she is well on her way to "WDnormal".

Our members are:

Africa - lovely lady from South Africa

DaddyCee - our "WD success story" chappie from Bristol area

Reflex - another lovely lady also from Bristol area

JC (me) - from Somerset but moved to Reading

ArtSet - lady from Shaftesbury (she is our most recent member but about to get married so very busy with wedding arrangements, so we haven't met her yet)

We sit at our usual table just behind the bar to the left hand side.

Its very exciting for us to have new members, so can't wait to meet you :)

JC x

#30 Simo

Simo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

it'll be really nice to meet other people too,  with common interests and goals.

looking forward to meeting you all too