"Myths About Psychiatry"

Neuroplastic

Found this. Will read more into it tomorrow. Meanwhile, please, share your views.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nada-logan-stotland-md-mph/psychiatry-myths-and-myst_b_840852.html

Most of the questions posed in the article, if changed into delaratives, would make for "The Truth About Psychiatry". Perhaps it'd worth contacting the author? Huffington is one of the major online players now. What do you think?

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

She sounds pretty defensive and insecure. I think if you went on the attack, she would shut her ears.

On the other hand, HuffPost *is* a great place to raise consciousness about the perils of psych meds, and to advertise SA.

Maybe if you balanced your comment? -- eg "what's good about psychiatry is xxx, what needs improvement is yyyyy"

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

I read the article twice in case I missed something... there are some obvious things that stick out, like no acknowledgment that drugs could cause a brain disorder, and yes, she was doing a lot of defending. However, I don't think the article was all that bad. She was trying to say, I think, that yes, there are problems, but there are problems in all aspects of research/medicine.

I agree with Healing... the HP is a good place to get the word out.

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

Dr. Stotland is past-president of the American Psychiatric Association. This is from a speech she gave to rally the troops when she took office.

It represents, if you will, the farthest right-wing views in psychiatry. The arguments are nonsensical, the windiest kind of rhetoric.

I'm sure HP is publishing it to create a controversy and get traffic, now that it's owned by AOL. Respond to it if you will, with cases of patient injury, don't bother to counter the arguments.

You can include this link: survivingantidepressants.org

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy