SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Woof: Cymbalta re-stabilization, after cold turkey withdrawal

woof

JanCarol,

I was wondering if you discuss furhter

If on a Benzo for a relatively short period of time, such as less than 6-12 months, one may want to consider tapering off their Benzo first (please see Will Hall's book on Harm Reduction)

Prior to commencing with an AD taper please consider what problems the AD is causing, as tapering is an extremely serious endeavor.   

If one has been on an AD for more than 10 yrs. please consider the potential long term negative consequences of AD withdrawal prior to tapering. (please see Drs. Healy, Glenmullen and Shipko) 

Prior to re-starting an AD taper, please do not resume tapering until all w/d sx's from any prior taper, especially CT, have resolved. 

2004 - Dec. 2015,  Cymbalta 20mg/d  for neck pain - Never had problems with Cymbalta.   Dec 2015, CT 20mg/d Cymbalta.  5 weeks later reinstated 20mg/d Cymbalta - without increase in CT sx's.   

Feb 2016 STARTED VALIUM 25mg/d for CT Cymbalta wd sxs.    Jan-April 2016 Held Cymbalta 20mg/d - doing pretty well (AM 3/10 anxiety and 3/10 tinnitus)

April 2016, CT Cymbalta sx's had not yet resolved and I prematurely tapered 10% q 4 wks x 3 mos.  After 3rd cut developed 10/10 wd sx's of Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Panic attacks, dark, incresaed Valium to 28mg/d. 

November 2016, after 3 cuts, UP-DOSED all (41 beads) back up to 20mg (193 beads total) Cymbalta - from , dark to light.

VALIUM TAPER: Jan 2017 28mg to March 2019 Zero   Cymbalta has partially stabilized and helped with the Valium taper.  The only sx I have now is 3/10 Tinnitus, which I only notice when it is quiet.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11900-woof-cymbalta-re-stabilization-after-cold-turkey-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11951-woof-valium-scheduling-and-dosage-with-cymbalta-wd-symptoms/

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• woof

• apace41

• scallywag

• brassmonkey

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

woof: It will be a huge help for JanC if you tell her what specifically you'd like details about.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks Scallywag, I had a phone call and neglected to complete this post. :blink:  I also need to learn how to quote from one page to another, if that is possible.

Hello JanCarol,

I was wondering if you could discuss in a bit more detail why you thought I should get to about 10mg of Cymbalta prior to addressing the Valium issue an excerpt from you correspondence to me below, Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:24 AM:

"...Or you may find that you feel so much better on 10 mg, that you want to keep tapering!  

At 10 mg of Cymbalta, you can decide how it would be best to get the valium out of the picture, as it is not indicated for long term use, and is highly addicting.  We have a special Members Section for Benzo tapering, because there are special considerations for valium - but - later.  We'll look at that, later.

Getting stable now, is more important.

The power is yours, the choice is yours - you don't have to let the drugs control you, you can take charge of them, and decide how much or how little you want in your life.

It may take awhile for your symptoms to stabilize..."

I am not sure if being stable means that all of my wd sx's are gone. Currently the only sx I have which I did not have prior to my CT Cymbalta withdrawal is insomnia in the form of waking between 3-4AM.  I have had no problem whatsoever with my two Cymbalta cuts, but of course I am taking 25 mg of Valium per day.  Oh yes, one last thing I used to be able to go a day or two without any Cymbalta  now if I am 8 or more hours late with a dose I know about it - that acutually happened to me once over the past 6 months.

Thanks Woof :)

If on a Benzo for a relatively short period of time, such as less than 6-12 months, one may want to consider tapering off their Benzo first (please see Will Hall's book on Harm Reduction)

Prior to commencing with an AD taper please consider what problems the AD is causing, as tapering is an extremely serious endeavor.   

If one has been on an AD for more than 10 yrs. please consider the potential long term negative consequences of AD withdrawal prior to tapering. (please see Drs. Healy, Glenmullen and Shipko) 

Prior to re-starting an AD taper, please do not resume tapering until all w/d sx's from any prior taper, especially CT, have resolved. 

2004 - Dec. 2015,  Cymbalta 20mg/d  for neck pain - Never had problems with Cymbalta.   Dec 2015, CT 20mg/d Cymbalta.  5 weeks later reinstated 20mg/d Cymbalta - without increase in CT sx's.   

Feb 2016 STARTED VALIUM 25mg/d for CT Cymbalta wd sxs.    Jan-April 2016 Held Cymbalta 20mg/d - doing pretty well (AM 3/10 anxiety and 3/10 tinnitus)

April 2016, CT Cymbalta sx's had not yet resolved and I prematurely tapered 10% q 4 wks x 3 mos.  After 3rd cut developed 10/10 wd sx's of Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Panic attacks, dark, incresaed Valium to 28mg/d. 

November 2016, after 3 cuts, UP-DOSED all (41 beads) back up to 20mg (193 beads total) Cymbalta - from , dark to light.

VALIUM TAPER: Jan 2017 28mg to March 2019 Zero   Cymbalta has partially stabilized and helped with the Valium taper.  The only sx I have now is 3/10 Tinnitus, which I only notice when it is quiet.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11900-woof-cymbalta-re-stabilization-after-cold-turkey-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11951-woof-valium-scheduling-and-dosage-with-cymbalta-wd-symptoms/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Woof,

JC will be in at some stage, but for now I can let you know that stabilising doesn't necessarily mean all your symptoms are gone.  It's more that things are feeling relatively settled, and you are coping fairly well.  That place where it's as good as it gets for you personally during w/d. 

The reason you now feel it so quickly when you miss a dose is that your Central Nervous System has become a lot more sensitised due to your drug changes.  The more we mess with it, the less forgiving it seems to be.  Your best bet now is to go as smoothly as possible. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Karen, :)

In that case, I believe that perhaps I have stabilized, as I am having no significant wd sx's.  

Currently, the only wd sx I have is, as you said, that my Central Nervous System is a lot more sensitized due to my drug changes (ie CT Cymbalta).  My insomnia is actually about where it was prior to ever taking Cymbalta (6-7 hours of sleep).  However, I have been taking 25 mg of Valium per day for the last 4 months.

It's now been 6 months since my reinstatement, so am I at a point now where I should just continue with my slow 10%, 4-6 week taper and is the fact that I CT'd the Cymbalta 6 months ago now a moot point? 

Thanks so much,

Woof

Sorry for the horrible last sentence above. :wacko:   What I meant to ask was the following:

It's been 6 months since my reinstatement, so am I at a point now where I should just continue with my 10% every 4-6 week taper?

Also, Is the fact that I CT'd the Cymbalta 6 months ago a moot point at this time, as far as tapering is concerned?

Hey Woof!  Welcome!

You may find that you are fine when you get down to 10 mg Cymbalta and want to stop.

Or you may find that you feel so much better on 10 mg, that you want to keep tapering!  

At 10 mg of Cymbalta, you can decide how it would be best to get the valium out of the picture, as it is not indicated for long term use, and is highly addicting.  We have a special Members Section for Benzo tapering, because there are special considerations for valium - but - later.  We'll look at that, later.

Getting stable now, is more important.

Hello JanCarol, :)

I was hoping you could let me know a bit more as to why it may perhaps be best to taper down to 10mg or so of Cymbalta prior to dealing with the Valium? 

Like you, I am certainly concerned about the 25mg of Valium I have been taking and was wondering what you think I should do at this point?

Both of my 10% Cymbalta cuts have gone very well, with little to no wd sx's.  I am feel pretty good and stable at 16mg of Cymbalta which I have been holding at for almost 6 weeks. 

I believe the Valium, has at least in part, helped with the smooth tapers and minimal sx's.

Thanks so much,

Woof :)

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure I'd say a CT ever becomes a moot point, but you are certainly showing signs of being fairly well stabilised.  A 6 month hold is great.  So if you are feeling like it's time, then you could begin to gently taper again.  Are you feeling okay emotionally too?

When you do decide to recommence the taper, choose a time when stressors are low, and your general health is good etc.  Are you taking fish oil and magnesium? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Hi Karen,

Yes, I am taking Magnesium and Fish oil. Thanks for mentioning this as I should have added my supplements to my topic introduction - which I have now done. 

I feel pretty normal emotionally, I don't understand why, but subsequent to both of my 10% cuts I have actually better emotionally, not worse.  I was wondering if this is primarily due to the 25mg of Valium I take?  

The only symptoms I notice after my cuts are some mild 2-3/10 tingling like paraesthesias over my forearms and a slight increase in my tinnitus from 1-2/10 to 3/10 in intensity.  These symptoms generally begin 3-5 days after the cut and last for about 7-10 days.  

Karen, I just wanted to clarify for myself that when you were referring to, a 6 month hold being great, was that in reference to my reinstatement?  And if so could you elaborate on that a bit?

A 6 month hold is great.  So if you are feeling like it's time, then you could begin to gently taper again.  Are you feeling okay emotionally too?

Hi Karen, :)

Now that I reviewed your comments in their full context, I understand.  Sorry for my confusion. :unsure:   

Due to Cymbalta's 12 hour half life do you know if anyone has tried taking half of their normal dose twice a day in order to make the blood levels more stable throughout a 24 hour period?

Thanks,

Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

Generally, you could split the dose equally of any medication in order to help maintain levels.  I do it with effexor, and know others also split their dose, but can't for the life of me think of specific names.  I'd only do it if it appears necessary, otherwise it's just a pain measuring out twice as many doses. 

8 month hold.

Thanks Karen! :)

This sounds good to me.

You don't have to taper the benzo off completely before you start tackling the antidepressant but you have to hold for as long as it takes for the symptoms to subside between the two tapers. I'm for instance tapering benzo to a certain dose. Then I will hold with the benzo at that dose and start tapering AD and end with tapering benzo till the end. WITH LONG HOLDS IN BETWEEN.

Considering the half life of Cymbalta, is 12 hours half life, does anyone know of any benefit to taking, the divided daily dose, twice a day? 

Might this help to keep the drug availability within an even narrower range, increase stabilization and hopefully further decrease wd sx's?

Hello, :)

I have done my third 10% cut of Cymbalta now and it seems as though with every cut I am feeling more like I did before the CT in Nov 2015. :)

Generally, you could split the dose equally of any medication in order to help maintain levels.  I do it with effexor, and know others also split their dose, but can't for the life of me think of specific names.  I'd only do it if it appears necessary, otherwise it's just a pain measuring out twice as many doses. 

Judging from Scallywag's graph below regarding skipiing doses and the intraday blood levels I was wondering if Cymbalta is commonly divided into two daily doses?

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-7196-0-26579000-1464380530_thumb.jp

In other words would taking Cymblata in divided daily doses help to keep the drug concentration within an even narrower intraday range, leading to increased stabilization and potentially further decreases with wd sx's? 

Or do most people just do this when they are cutting at the lower doses, if this is done it at all with Cymbalta?

Thanks woof :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Woof, to my knowledge Cymbalta is typically prescribed as a once daily medication. There is nothing preventing a doctor from prescribing a dose twice daily, "BID."

If you want to split your dose and see if that works better for you, try it. Keep your dose times consistent, pay attention to your symptoms, and keep good records of both.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Scallywag, :)

Thank you for your insight and advice.  I am wondering if this could be useful for the short half life meds; eg Paxil, Effexor and Cymbalta? 

I also wanted to thank you for adding MMarie's Dose vs. 5-HT occupancy graph (specifically on Cymbalta) to the, "Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration"

• Administrator

The coating on the little beads of Cymbalta is engineered to extend the half-life of the drug.

As scally said, it's unusual but you can take it twice a day. To do this, move part of the dose a few hours each day. Be very careful about keeping to a schedule, and keep notes of your dosing amounts and times and symptoms afterward.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Alto,

With the nuanced information regarding the half life of Cymbalta which you have provided, I think I will just stick to the once a day dosing, as I am sure I will get something mixed up.  :blink: 

Thanks so much,

Alto,

I also wanted to mention that if I should decide to go to a BID basis, you have now given me an excellent paradigm in which to achieve this goal. 

I had wondered how it would be on my stabilization process to simply divide the dose and start right in with BID dosing. 

Your example, is a much gentler mode to the brain in terms of moving the dosing schedule to BID if one were to do so.

Thanks Again,

Woof

On July 04, 2016 I made my third 10% per month cut down from 16mg to 14.5mg.  The first 2 cuts actually decreased wd sx's...probably because of my Valium use?

One week after this last cut I noticed some anhedonia, which is new to me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  :)

Is it within the normal range of wd to notice a different wd sx during a taper?  

Am I now getting down to a level of Cymbalta in which other sx's can and or should be anticipated?

Thanks,

• Moderator Emeritus

What we find is that side effects - both emotional and physical - do change during the course of w/d, so don't be worried about that.  It can happen at any stage of the taper. 

8 month hold.

Karen, Thanks for the information.  That is reassuring.  I am really trying to do everything I can to make things go as well as possible. 

I have even stopped eating sugar, caffiene and aspartame.  Which are probably all good changes for me.   I have also started exercising everyday. 

So, if I ever get through this, I will hopefully be a healthier person. 

Just trying to look on the bright side. :) 

• Moderator Emeritus

Just trying to look on the bright side. :)

Woof,

Many people who get comfortably off the drugs report just that -- that the life changes they made during withdrawal set them up for a healthier, happier life after withdrawal.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Andy,

Thanks so much! 

Anytime I receive a comment from this site it always gives me a boost of hope and makes me feel much better.   I think it may be knowing that others understand the situation and care so much.

Thank you for making my day much better :)

Woof

About a week after this last cut, I have noticed a lot of anxiety in the morning until about 12 noon.  I have not had these sx's with my first two cuts. 

I was wondering if I should just try and wait this out for another week or two? 

Or should I try to updose?   If I should updose how much should I updose by? 

From now on I am going to hold for 2 or 3 weeks after I feel good. 

I remember after my first cut I felt really good for 2 days and then I made a 10% cut instead of waiting 2 weeks as I was advised to.  From now on I am going to hold for 2 or 3 weeks after I feel good and listen to Tom.

I had previously been speculating that I needed to get to a lower dose fast, because I had reinstated at my full CT dose and that, that dose was too high and toxic to my brain. 

Thanks so much,

Hey Woof--  it sounds like pretty normal WD to me.  One of the hard things about tapering is that no two drops are alike. Patterns may form over time but the symptoms can vary from drop to drop.  It's quite common for symptoms to show up about a week after a drop.  They generally stick around for a week or so and then start to fade back to WDnormal.  I would ride this out and not try an updose.  To do an updose really is a last resort measure for when the symptoms are totally unbearable.  It sounds like you're making good progress. Take your time and don't rush things.

((((((((HUGS))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Tom,

I am so very glad to hear from you again. :)  

With your words I am confident I can ride this out.  From now on I am not making anymore cuts until I feel good for at least 2-3 weeks or even longer, of course that would be in addition to - a minimum 1 month hold. 

I am also going to adopt the Brassmonkey taper for my future tapers; it just makes sense to maximize stability. :)  

As I stated above, I had previously been speculating that I needed to get to a lower dose fast, because I had reinstated at my full CT dose and that, that dose was too high and toxic to my brain.  That's why I was pushing things a bit and not enjoying feeling good and letting my brain heal, as per your previous suggestion. 

Your empathy, concern and advice are most appreciated! :)

All the best,

Woof

Wow, talk about windows. I slept great last night 9PM-4:30AM, I've had no tinnitus all day and have had no anxiety whatsoever this morning or at anytime all day.

This is quite a roller-coaster, but I am doing fine now.  :)  

My goal is stabilization. :) 

Thank you for your advice.

• Moderator Emeritus

That is awesome, Woof.

You never know -- it could hang around a while. 

Take good notes on and imprint it in your memory for a wave (if one were to come along).

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Andy,

Your support is greatly appreciated and I will imprint this. 

I feel that I have finally given up on any hurry to get off the meds compulsion; stabilization is where I am now focused. 

I am not as frieghtened that this will never end if I don't get off the meds in a hurry, I never had a problem with them that I noticed per se. 

I just read some stuff regarding the side effects and it scared the heck out of me, so I did the absolutely wrong thing and CT'd the Cymbalta, but that's in the past now and I must concentrate on healing. :)

Thanks again,

Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

Hooray! An attitude of "no hurry" is worth a celebration! :D

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you for the support and encouragement.  It is most sincerely appreciated! :)

Would it be wise for me to hold on anymore Cymbalta cuts until my Insomnia issues, waking between 2-4 AM, are completely resolved?  I never had a problem with the Cymbalta while I was on the 20mg dose until the CT.   6 weeks after CT, I reinstated at 20mg for almost 4 months. I am now down to 14.5mg  (I definitely think less is better), but I think I may need to give my brain more time to heal.

Given a person with my history, are there any average periods of time in which it would take to regain normal sleep?

Thanks Woof

Two questions:

1) Should one begin to taper after reinstatement, if their symptoms have not completely abated? 

2) Also, I am schedule to have surgery on my neck next week which will be 4 weeks out from my last Cymbalta cut. 

They have given me a prescription for an opiate (Vicodin [hydocodone]) for post op pain.  

The Dr. did not think this was not going to be a problem, but I would appreciate any suggestions with reference to opiates and Cymbalta. 

Given that there is a lot going on right now for you Woof, I would continue to hold.  Surgery and the associated drugs could possibly be unsettling and therefore stability with a hold would be the best for your system. In times of upset, you need to keep everything else as stable as possible. Normally you don't need a complete remission of symptoms, but under these circumstances it would be wise to hold for a good while. Give it some time after surgery , as well.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014