Mimi11: withdrawal from Celexa

Mimi11

Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for months and it has helped me immensely. I've been drug free for 6 months. Have had many WD symptoms that have come and gone, but the past few days have been awful. Headaches (brain pain is more accurate though) and brain shivers (very strange feeling, not sure how else to describe it), memory is all of a sudden awful, feel like I can't gather a thought in my head, feels like I won't be able to even remember my name, can't focus on anything for any length of time, brain humming sound at night (although this isn't new). I haven't felt this bad since I stopped. Has anyone else experienced this? Do things get worse before they get better? I thought that 6 months out the waves of WD would be easier than the previous months?

I'm taking Vit D, Omega 3 fish oil, Vit C (just stopped to see if it was affecting my headaches etc).

Thank you for creating this forum! I'm so grateful it exists and for any support. Trying to stay hopeful, but these past fews days have been challenging. :(

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mimi , welcome to the site. Thank you for filling in you signature.

It's very common to have a bad wave around the 6 or 9 months mark. I don't know why , but it is.

Please think about adding magnesium and fish oil to assist your recovery. See

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/?view=findpost&p=100596&hl=magnesium

and

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/?view=findpost&p=87190&hl=magnesium

Try browsing through the "Symptoms and Self Care" section for ideas and suggestions on strategies to manage

different symptoms.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Mimi,

Sorry things have gotton harder lately - hopefully hearing that it is normal will help you feel a bit better about it.  I imagine the worsening symptoms are also an effect of a very fast taper and which involved skipping doses.  

It's hard to know how long it will take before you see a turn for the better again - each person is so different.  It could be months, or possibly years.  I always feel awful writing that, but I do it so people have all the information to allow them to make better decisions.

At 6 months out, reinstatement is a long-shot, but lately we've had some members who had success when trying this.  You could read the link:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/ and see what you think, then come back to this thread to discuss it further if you're interested.

It really depends on whether things look like they're going to keep going down-hill, or if you think you are starting to stabilise. 

Hugs, and welcome to s/a,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks Fresh and Karen! 

Today was a much better day than the previous few. No headache, able to focus a bit better and my brain doesn't feel so slow and foggy. Still don't feel like I did a week or two ago, but perhaps this wave is coming to an end?! I find that I've been cycling through waves of symptoms that resolve fairly quickly. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Hope so. 

As far as reinstating goes, I would consider it, if like you said, things continued to go down-hill. But I seem to stabilize each time fairly quickly. This last wave was just such a miserable and strange feeling in my head that I started to panic a bit. 

In hindsight, tapering more slowly would have been a better idea I'm sure. Forgot to mention that I'd tapered before and learned the hard way that it was much too fast. This time, I thought I was taking my time. Felt quite well during the initial taper and I think that encouraged me to just be done with it a bit faster than anticipated. 

I'm already feeling so supported by your messages, so thank you! 

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Well that's positive changes today.  Keep noting symptoms - hopefully it's an upward trend. 

Windows and waves will keep revolving through, but when you know that, it can make it easier to deal with them.  Have you seen the Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery?  And as Fresh said, it can just be worse around this 6-9 month time frame. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

It's very common to have a bad wave around the 6 or 9 months mark. I don't know why , but it is.

Hi Freh, 

that´s interesting - is that something you have observed on you and others? 

2005-2006: Cipralex 5 mg

2009-2010: Cipralex 5 mg

2012-2015: Cipralex 5mg, 10mg 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Completely drug free since August 2015

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mimi , yes , I've seen it over and over on this site.

My own withdrawal took a huge turn at 6 months out - akathisia set in and I couldn't sleep or leave home.

See the first few posts here for details. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8452-freshs-fractured-fairytale-how-much-can-a-koala-bear/

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

I've had a really nice window for a week or so. Other than fatigue, felt quite good. I've noticed a few episodes of my heart racing and a bit of an adrenaline surge though. Hoping that it's not my anxiety flaring and just part of WD. Anyone else have these occasional surges?

• 2 months later...

Hi again!

Well I'm almost 10 months out now and here's what my most recent, seemingly extended wave looks like:

• morning cortisol spikes. will have a few bad ones and then a couple good days and then bad again. 
  • total lethargy and a feeling that my mind is completely stoned, blank. 
  • mood swings.
  • trouble with memory-recall has been pretty awful. 
  • appetite changes-low then back to normal. 
  • tinnitus
  • more head 'noise' 

The whole thing has been going on for several weeks. Could this be the new normal for me? Does anyone have experience with improvements after the 1 year mark? I'm getting impatient I guess. I just don't know where I'm going to land in all of this. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'm nowhere near that stage yet, but people on here definitely report that they continue to improve after 1 year.  Changes are usually gradual, and people tend to notice them as they look back and see how far they've come.  It's good your appetite is normal again - that must be a relief.  Several weeks isn't too long (says she who isn't having to live with those particular symptoms) so there is still plenty of time and scope for things to change again, and another window to appear. 

Are you still looking after your diet, and having fish-oil or magnesium?

8 month hold.

Thanks for your reply Karen. I'm taking omega 3 with vit D, a really good probiotic (which I think has been key), a multi-vitamin and occasionally ashwaghanda and rhodiola. I've taken magnesium at various points in the last year, but not recently. Might be time to start it up again. And you're right, as I look back over the year, I've made some serious progress. Trying to be patient and just ride out the waves.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

So thankful for this group. I'm almost at the 1 year mark of my withdrawal from celexa. Current symptoms:

• very emotional  
  • lots of negative self-worth thoughts
  • fatigue
  • head noise (seems worse when I'm tired)
  • memory issues

Trying to just power through, but feeling like I need some encouragement. Maybe I'm in a wave again. Sometimes I wonder if this is just the 'new me' or if it's still withdrawal related. Anyone else at the 1 year mark? How are you feeling?

Hi Mimi I'm off 2 years this month and many off the symptoms are mild and some gone but I went off in 2 months not knowing how bad it is it does get better so hang in there GOD BLESS

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mimi -- thanks for your latest update.  I've moved your post from the Symptoms forum to your Introduction.  For now, it's the best place for your questions and updates.

I understand what you're looking for -- other people at the one year mark. Give us -- the SA staff -- a few days to noodle this.  We should be able to come up with something.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks for the replies. I read through the Neuro-emotions thread and I think that's exactly what I've been going through lately. It's a relief to know that these thoughts and feelings are exaggerated because of the WD. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again! 

Nearing my one year anniversary of tapering off of Cipralex. I will be marking the occasion with a glass of champagne and a toast to continued healing. What a wild journey this is! I continue to have symptoms that come and go. I have faith that healing is still occurring. Curious if anyone else has noticed the following and if it got better with time (like everything else it seems)

- the buzz from drinking alcohol isn't quite the same. In the early months of WD, I had no buzz at all. It's like there was nothing to indicate that I was getting drunk. A slight feeling of a buzz has returned, but not what it used to be. Anyone had this? Seen progress?

- hopefully, this one isn't TMI, but...orgasms feel different. It's like I can feel the waves of the "O" in my private parts, but it's like it's not connected to my brain. The pleasure of riding the waves is slightly reduced because of this. Anyone had this and see it resolve? I know I continue to heal, but it's nice to have some reassurance now and again. 

So grateful for this community. Continued healing to everyone. xo

• 5 weeks later...

Hello healing community!

I'm a few days away from my one year anniversary since coming off of Cipralex and I've been feeling pretty awful. I seem to be having digestion issues (heartburn, stomach pain, kind of crampy and a bit of nausea). I'm assuming that it's WD related, but wondering if anyone else has any experience with this at the one year mark? Didn't expect to be feeling this bad after a year :( I already follow a gluten free diet and generally eat quite healthy. Am taking a probiotic, omega 3 oil, magnesium. I also am terribly pale looking and people are asking me if I'm feeling ok! I saw some info about gut motility being affected and I think I could be dealing with that possibly.

Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for months and it has helped me immensely. I've been drug free for 6 months. Have had many WD symptoms that have come and gone, but the past few days have been awful. Headaches (brain pain is more accurate though) and brain shivers (very strange feeling, not sure how else to describe it), memory is all of a sudden awful, feel like I can't gather a thought in my head, feels like I won't be able to even remember my name, can't focus on anything for any length of time, brain humming sound at night (although this isn't new). I haven't felt this bad since I stopped. Has anyone else experienced this? Do things get worse before they get better? I thought that 6 months out the waves of WD would be easier than the previous months?

I'm taking Vit D, Omega 3 fish oil, Vit C (just stopped to see if it was affecting my headaches etc).

Thank you for creating this forum! I'm so grateful it exists and for any support. Trying to stay hopeful, but these past fews days have been challenging. :(

Hi, a lot of people don't realize that many of the symptoms they are experiencing are actually symptoms of sleep deprivation. How many hours of sleep are you able to get every night?

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

On no medications as of Feb. 8, 2016

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less

Update!

I've had a really nice window for a week or so. Other than fatigue, felt quite good. I've noticed a few episodes of my heart racing and a bit of an adrenaline surge though. Hoping that it's not my anxiety flaring and just part of WD. Anyone else have these occasional surges?

Hi Mimi11,  Yes, I have these surges on a regular basis.  I was just looking at the site to see if there is any suggestions as to resolving this symptom.  My heart races when I have them too. 

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Supplements Cal/Mag , Potassium, , Multi Vitamin.  digestive aid, antioxidant

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

Hi all,

I have to have a dental implant in a few weeks and I'm looking for feedback on sedation. With a previous implant, I took a 1/2 an ativan and requested the nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for the procedure. I was also taking 5 mg of Celexa at the time. Procedure went well and I didn't have any anxiety prior or during. Fast forward 10 years and I'm due for another implant. I prefer to have some added sedation again, like the laughing gas and an ativan, but I'm nervous as to how I might respond to them this time. I don't want them to set off my WD symptoms. I've been med free for about 13 months now. Anyone had the nitrous oxide during WD? Ativan? Any thoughts? Advice? Thanks so much!

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post to the Introductions Forum so that more people will see your question.

There's a topic about dental surgery and dental medications in the Symptoms forum where others have posted their experience and answered questions.

Before the procedure, do what you can to keep things stable -- limit/eliminate  consumption of alcohol, over-the-counter meds, "recreational" drugs; no major changes e.g. a new strenuous exercise program. 

Have you been anxious before other dental procedures? If not, you might think about not taking ativan.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks scallywag. I was thinking I may just use the nitrous oxide and skip the ativan. I'm not normally too nervous for dental appts, but the implants take longer and I want to make sure I take the edge off...

• 3 months later...

Update: Well, it's been nearly 16 months since I stopped taking Celexa. In the past few weeks I've had some disturbing symptoms. I'm getting numbness and pins and needles, burning in my legs and sometimes my arms and hands. Mostly the numbness seems to be really moving around. The burning is mostly my legs at night, but also a bit during the day. I've read the threads on this and I know that this is a common WD symptom, but so late in withdrawal?? Should I be worried? Could it me MS?? I'm so down and so scared. Hoping someone has had this and seen it resolve...please help!

• Moderator Emeritus

That's got to be really disappointing for you Mimi.  Have there been other symptoms coming and going prior to these latest ones?  If so, then this is likely to still be w/d.  It can happen this far out, especially after a less-than-idea taper. 

8 month hold.

Hi KarenB, yes I've had other symptoms come and go (recurring yeast infections, digestive issues), so, like you, I tend to believe that it's still WD. I had a couple acupuncture treatments and I think it may have set it off or at least escalated the symptoms. Praying it doesn't last too long. 

• 1 month later...

- the buzz from drinking alcohol isn't quite the same. In the early months of WD, I had no buzz at all. It's like there was nothing to indicate that I was getting drunk. A slight feeling of a buzz has returned, but not what it used to be. Anyone had this? Seen progress?

Some people, myself included, become sensitive to drugs after they've developed withdrawal syndrome.  Taking these substances could make it difficult for your body to heal and could get you sicker.  Some people have similar issues with food, too.  An elimination diet could help you determine if you're sensitive to any foods.  It might be worth considering only putting things in your body that are good for it.  The healthier you are, the easier it should be for your body to heal itself.

- 2002-2015: Zyprexa (Olanzapine), between 2.5mg to 5mg

- 9/15-2/16: Started a taper that jumped up and down quickly for five months.  Got really sick.  Took Xanax sporadically throughout taper.  Stopping taking Xanax in January 2016.

- 2/14/16: Increased dose to 3.75mg and held for two months, quickly got better at first and then slowly continued to get better after that

- Apr/16: 3.375mg, May/16: 3.03mg, Jun-Jul/16: 2.73mg, Aug-Sept/16: 2.5mg, Oct/16: 2.25mg, Nov/16: 2.03mg, Dec/16-Jan/17: 1.82mg, Feb/17: 1.64mg, Mar/17: 1.48mg, Apr/17: 1.33mg, May-Sept/17: 1.20mg, Oct/17: 1.08mg, Nov/17: 0.97mg, Dec/17: 0.87mg, Jan/17: 0.78mg, Feb/17: 0.71mg, Mar/17: 0.64mg, Apr/17: 0.57mg, May/17: 0.51mg

• 2 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Your post has been merged with the existing topic: 

Edited by Altostrata
updated link

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Mimi11, how are you doing?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.