SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

gigi63: Weaning Bupropion

gigi63

Hi, I am triple m.  I found this support site as I was trying to wean my bupropion.  8.5 years of taking this med for a mild situational depression way back then.  Never thought to get off, nor did my PCP think of it either. Up until one year ago, felt quite good on it.  

One year ago in March,  as I was beginning to notice a new noice in my ears, and researching possible side effects of med, decided, hey, I need to get off of of this med.  Also, wanted to be off.  I knew I needed to wean off, so got some MD information on wean schedule.  I was afraid of damage occuring to my ears so wanted to get off NOW!!!  

I started the wean at my dose of 150XL mid June of 2015.  I was told I could start by altering days taken. Every month I would change the wean. First month, skip one day, Second month, skip two days, until I could not stay at this rate by the fourth day. Wean was OK up to this point.  

I then needed to switch to IR.  So, My Dr. gave me the IR tablets and I started them at 37.5mg last October.   The change from XL to IR was quite difficult all by itself.  However, I made that transition but now looking back, NOT over enough time.  Through this past fall and winter months, I have made 2-4 week reductions but, the percentages were too high.  25 to 15 percent. Made mostly at 3-4 week intervals.  I thought this would be OK as this was taking longer than the PCP wanted me to do.  

He wanted me to stop at the 37.5mg IR last fall,  However, when I recently got down to what I thought was a tiny 1 mg cut at approximately 13mg, I went into terrible discontinuation.  I was already struggling with the last cut but I waited 10 weeks to stabilize  and then made the last one that turned out to be too much, ( a Math error on my part) and also, had no real way of knowing what dose I was on due to tiny cuts. I now have a mg scale. The discontinuation came on about 7-10 days out and it was horrible.  I was frightened for my well being.  

This , being yesterday was the first time I had to miss work.  I have had many of physical and psychological d/c symptoms along the way and have struggled to get through them.  Also, I find NO SUPPORT from medical community in this.  Many times, MD and others, have told me get on something else, or Why get off???  I have read some articles by James Heany and others and they have been helpful in understanding. Yesterday in desperation, I found James Heany's article on re-instating your SSRI.  I did reinstate, not even at the last dose.  I went up to the fall dose of 37.5mg IR, twice a day. I am praying that the worst of the d/c symptoms will settle down.

What I have learned and Hard is how very dependant on this medication my body has become.  SCAREY!!!!  I did get Dr. J Glenmullens book and it was very helpful for information. James Heany and now also you guys have all discussed the 10 percent method of discontinuation going from the last dose cut.  Maybe I have gone back up too much?? I don't know, but what I do know is that I was very fearful for my well being.  I know I am extremely sensitive to any medication.

40 minutes after moving up to the higher dose, I felt immense relief.  WOW!!!!  I am praying I will stabilize out here. I know it will take at LEAST one month.  

James Heany mentions if the up dose is too small, it will just take longer to stabilize out.  However, what I am most overwhelmed by is that I had no Idea how much my body would come to depend on this med.  " Theraputic, easy to get off of med."  Not so!!!!     What I am committed to now is since I increased to the 37.5mg dose, I am committed to this for a minimum of one month.  From here on out, 10 percent cuts.  I need some encouragement though, I have felt somewhat defeated as I had to go back up but I can say, " I GET THIS".  The extreme dependancy and need to now go so very slow.  Now I know the road to recovery will be one of patience and perseverance more so than ever. THis will be hard because I want so badly to be free of this medication. Hoping for support.  Thank you. triple M. 

Edited by Altostrata
updated screen name after account merge
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gigi63

• brassmonkey

• SquirrellyGirl

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi triple m!  

I am so glad you found us over here at SA!  

It sounds like you definitely know what has happened to you, and have done tons of research on your own to understand.  You've already made the mistakes and come to the conclusion that the 10% per month taper method (based on the previous month's dosage), of course) is the way to go here on out, so I don't need to throw all those links at you.  What would be helpful is for you to fill out your signature block with your drug history so that it is easy for anyone dropping in to see your history at a glance.  Use your Intro thread as a place to journal your progress, give updates, ask questions about your particular situation, etc.  All the mods are notified when someone posts to their thread.  I would like to add your handle to your intro title so it is easy to recognize in the cue. 

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

It is amazing how that reinstatement dose can fix you up right away, a sure sign of dependency!  Your reinstatement dosage may have been larger than we would have been suggested, but we tend to start tiny so that we don't cause an adverse reaction with too large of a dose and to hopefully sneak up on the sweet spot that works so that you have that much less to come off.  However, you didn't have an adverse reaction or severe side effects, so perhaps that was where you needed to be.  That happened for me.  I reinstated a larger dose of Effexor than would have been recommended here, and felt completely "fixed."  I hadn't learned about WD at the time and hadn't found this site, so it is what it is.  

If you haven't already read links about withdrawal, I like this one for explaining why we have such trouble coming off these drugs:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

And why the lower dosages give us such trouble as we taper:  Why taper?

You have done an awesome job on your own!  We are now here to support you on your journey.  You will find this place a true refuge when the outside world just doesn't get it, including the danged doctors who got us in this predicament to begin with!

Big hugs for you!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

SquirrellyGirl,  I thank you so much for your response.  I do have tears in my eyes even now as this has been such a difficult journey.  I took the first 37.5mg dose yesterday.  I am wondering, is it to late to decrease this dose.  I have significant dizziness today,  not sure if this is the reinstate.  I did take a sleeping pill last night due to no sleep for about 2 plus nights.  I hate them but was desperate.  Would it be dangerous to take a lesser dose as I dont want to screw up my poor brain any furter??? Not sure what to do??? 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time.  I have put the question to fellow mods about what to do with the reinstatement.  Meanwhile, are you taking any other drugs, prescription, OTC, recreational, anything that could play into brain chemistry?  Please make an attempt at your signature block so the mods can see your history at a glance.  It's going to be ok!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi MMM-- welcome to the group. I'm so glad you found us.  I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through, it's a tough situation.  Doing an RI is a good idea to help alleviate the symptoms, but I think you my have over done it.  Going back to a full dose after several months of tapering could be quite a shock to your system.  It may feel good at first, but the  possibility of an adverse reaction is quite high.  Having only taken one dose at that level shouldn't cause trouble, especially because you did feel better. I would suggest going back to the 18.75 once a day or 9.375 twice a day and then just sitting there for a good long time.  It can take several months for all of those big drops to catch up with you and then sort themselves out, but things will settle down.  The key is to be on a steady dose the entire time.  It takes four days for a dose change to become steady state in the blood, during which time you symptoms could be all over the place.  Once it's steady state, then your brain can start sorting things and stabilizing.  Once we get you good and stable we can work out a good tapering schedule that will get you off of these drugs in a more comfortable manner.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

Give those threads a read and then ask us a ton of questions.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

OK,  Brass monkey, I took the second dose of the 37.5mg just prior to getting this as I needed to stay on my time frame.  I have now taken 2 days of 37.5mg.  Am I now locked into this????  I am frightened.  I do feel dizziness and it is about one hour into the second dose.  Also a little more anxiety with this dose.  Again, I am 2 days into the 37.5mg , am I going to now hurt my neuro system with this? and can I go down to the 18.75 twice daily tomorrow????

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TripleM , welcome to the site. Thanks for having a go at your signature.

It's still quite confusing to read. Could you please write dates and doses and take out the narrative.

So we have:

2008 started wellbutrin 150mg

2015 June , started tapering by alternating days

. . .October 37.5mg

etc.

2016 March 13mg

. . . 10 April dropped to 10mg

. . . 21 April increased to 37.5mg (2 x 18.75mg)

If you don't know exact dates , just guess. This signature comes up each time you post so readers

can see a summary without needing to read through all your posts.

What time did you take each of the doses yesterday?

Has the temazepam the last 3 nights helped you sleep?

You can definitely go to a lower dose of wellbutrin. Once you can add dates and doses , we can work out

what the best dose to take might be.

bw , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Brassmonkey,   Just to clarify, I took 18.75mg twice daily today, and yesterday.  Will it be safe to drop down to the 9.37mg dose twice daily since i have taken 2 days of 18.75mg twice daily.  I am so sensitive right now and very frightened.  I dont want to mess myself up further.  What would be best at this point.  

Hi Platinum Star.  I am thankful for the help I am now getting.  So thankful.  Thank you all for being here.  yesterday I took 18.75mg by 11:00 AM.  I then took another 18.75mg at 2PM.  Really seemed to help and take the edge off.  Today, I took 18.75mg at 7AM prior to going to work. then I took the second 18.75mg at 2:30 this afternoon.  Now I am waiting for good advise guys.  I did feel some increased anxiety with the med.  Certainly increased dizziness. I will clean up the post. 

platinum star.  Regarding, did the temazepam help me sleep:  When I had not taken the RI of 37.5mg , I only got 5 hours of sleep.  Last night after the first dose of the 37.5mg during the day, I took it and I slept 8 hours.  

Squirllygirl, i do appreciate you telling me it is going to be alright.  I am afraid right now.  feeling so vulnerable!!!

Just a question for all of you?  Because my brain actually is used to the bupropion, wouldnt it be comforted to get some back???? I mean, it seems to me that the d/c symptoms are the rebel cry for wanting more???  Is this inaccurate????

Brassmonkey, I am a little nervous right now.  I am frightened by your words of " adverse reaction".  Just so you are all aware, both the DR I work for and my PCP said I should go up to the 37.5mg dose.  I know they are not experts in any of this and my own PCP has been little to no help for me at all.  Just having a bunch of questions now, Like when I first started the bupropion, Bam, started on a high dose.  Couldnt that also be non helpful to a person????  Also, in James heany's article on :" When to RI your SSRI, I read his formulation.  He states, 10 percent increase for every month you have been weaning.  At 150mg that would have been 50mg for me because I had been weaning 10 mos.  So, what do you guys say , it can all be so confusing.  I chose the split dose, daily of 37.5mg because I didnt want to go too high and it was easier to split the pill. 

Brassmonkey, one more thought, in your post to me you said going back to a full dose,  I did not go back to my full dose.  The full dose was 150mg.  Does this make a difference????

• Moderator Emeritus

You're right triplem , your brain will be comforted to get some more bupropion on board.

But it's very sensitive , so too much will cause additional unpleasant symptoms.

We try to have members stabilize on the lowest feasible dose rather than start high and

suffer while the cns tries to metabolize it as best it can.

It takes 4 days for an updose to register in the bloodstream at a steady level. So decreasing

now is fine , but you will need to be patient.

You might also consider spacing your doses 12 hours apart , so you don't get inter-dose withdrawal.

Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

platinum star, what should I decrease to?  should it be the 9.37 twice daily. ( I have to work this weekend.  I sure hope by GRACE of God I am going to be OK.)  so that I am down to total dose of 18.75???  Since I have now taken the two days of 37.5mg, My poor brain is going to say what???? to this????  Thank you for responding.  What is inter dose withdrawal??? and are the symptoms the same.  i can tell you this, since 2PM dose, I do feel somewhat less anxious.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi , my screen name is Fresh , not platinum star , lol.

Please read over all the posts on this page a few time during the next day.

From Brassmonkey: " I would suggest going back to the 18.75 once a day or 9.375 twice a day and then just sitting there for a good long time. It can take several months for all of those big drops to catch up with you and then sort themselves out, but things will settle down. "

This is the plan. We're all on the same page here , so there's no need to ask the same questions to different moderators.

Remember - it takes 4 days to get to a steady state in your blood stream , so we can revisit the dose in 4 to 7 days to re-asses.

CES is Cranial Stimulation Therapy

Inter dose withdrawal is when the doses are too far apart , and the effect if the drug "runs out" between

doses. When I had it for a while I would get an achy jaw every evening , and when I evened out my

doses it disappeared.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

To all:  I should actually be calling my situation updosing vs. reinstating.  I am not off of my wean.  I am trying to control dose reduction discontinuation symptoms.  Sorry for the wrong terminology. 

Hi MMM-- It all gets so confusing doesn't it.

Taking 37.5 for a second day shouldn't cause any problems.  The things you're feeling are more than likely from your being scared and not from the drugs. Any dose change can cause some symptoms to pop up and if you seem to be sensitive they can be magnified in your mind.  Starting tomorrow do the 9.37 twice a day.  With the changes and extra large doses it may take a little longer for things to settle down, but they will.  It's really important to not be afraid of what's happening.  Yes it will be uncomfortable while things stabilize, but it won't actually harm you.  Being afraid will only make things feel worse. 

I was taking "full dose" to mean the last large dose you were on for a long time, which would be the 37.5.

I didn't mean to upset you with talk of "adverse reactions".  They are a real possibility with such a large updose, but they hit fast and hard, so if you were getting one you'd know for sure by now.

There's a real difference between starting a drug for the first time and doing a large updose.  In the beginning the body isn't use to the drug and is usually a lot more accepting of it, but once a person has been on the drug for a while and tried to reduce the dosage their body becomes sensitive to the presence and changes in the drug.

Got to run the boss is calling.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I am sorry Fresh.  I did not realize I was addressing you wrong.  Thank you all so much for your advise.  I will go down to the 9.37mg twice a day dose starting tomorrow.  I will space them out further.  Because Bupropion is stimulating I have always tried to take it before 3PM.  What are your thoughts to that?  

Brassmonkey, Thank you so much for further discussion on this. I can tell you this, I am trying to not be afraid.  It is just such a scarey thing, feeling the withdrawal and trying to deal with all of this.  I cannot tell you all how thankful I am to have support in this.  I have felt so alone, except for support from family and friends who  care but also have no experience in this.  So, tomorrow, I will lower the dose to the 9.37mg twice daily.  Thank you again for all of your input and experience.  I will continue to ask and we can go from there and reassess as planned.  

Hello to all who have responded to me so far.  Just want to say I am 3 days on the new dose,  can feel some of the neuro effects however, am wondering what you guys do to assist with sleeping issues while waiting for stabilization of neuro transmitters???  What do you guys think of coconut oil, raw honey and sea salt.  there is a recipe and it may help with sleep?  What are your thoughts about AMBIEN???  NOT Good???  please respond. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey MMM!  (that's a radio station in the town where I live, "TripleM")

You can do this. 

You've already learned so much, you are really doing quite well.  

Wellbutrin was my bug-bear in the 90's.  I tried for years to come off it.  I didn't know about tapering then - I just accepted that I must have an illness and surrendered to the drug.  My path off it involved Effexor (and another 20 years of drugs!)

We are more careful here than Dr. Heany because we are not doctors.  Doctors can take risks, they have "Doctor powers" that we don't have.  We are people who have suffered, so we play it very safe.

Please put in your signature, the dates and doses of your new dose, so that we know what is happening.

How are you feeling?  Is the new dose covering your symptoms?

Ah, Sleep.  We all have trouble with Sleep - in fact, symptoms often change over time - you might have 3 months of little or no sleep, or a month or two of light / sound sensitivity, or a few months of emotional symptoms.  And your body and brain might mix it up and surprise you.  Everyone is different.  This is all normal in withdrawal.

Here is a list of possible symptoms from Glenmullen:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/  You can use this to track your symptoms from day to day, week to week, month to month.

And sleep?  You can go here to talk about sleep and see what others find helpful:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/53-sleep-problems-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/555-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-withdrawal-insomnia/

I'm a huge fan of coconut oil, it feels like "brain food" to me.  I have thyroid issues, so I like the Himalayan pink salt - but I use Celtic sea salt sometimes, too.  And honey is marvellous - that recipe sounds like a good one.  (though - blood sugar and mood is one thing to watch for)

Ambien - is a drug.  We cannot and do not recommend drugs here - we work very hard to help people free themselves from them.

Ambien is another psych drug which would require tapering.  It is highly addictive.  If you are really considering Ambien, please see:  Tips for Tapering off Z-Drugs for Sleep - Ambien, Lunesta, etc.

It sounds to me, also, that you need to address your symptoms with some:  Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms  (these help with physical symptoms, too).

I know this is a lot of links - but - you've done so much research so far!  You can do this! 

You will find a community of people who have been through a lot, some of which you will relate to.  You are not alone, and you have access to some of the best tapering information available on the web.  

Welcome to SA!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi JanCarol. Thank you for responding to me. I hate using sleeping pill!!!!! Actually used sleeping pill over the weekend as I was not doing well and had to work all weekend. JanCarol, I hate the sleeping med. I asked about Ambien but a tuly threw it away. Temazepam is the only one I found relief from. In the past months when I made my cuts I would use magnesium baths. However, they would absolutely dehydrate me and make me even more dizzy. I've tried herbs, too Neuro sensitive. I tried oral magnesium, same. Too sensitive. The sleep improved after a 10 week wait and then this last dose cut. I am currently working with a sleep specialist though she has been helpful, I am teaching her more about discontinuation. We are working with CBT. Hard when brain is really going!!! Preaching to the choir I can get myself pretty worked up about this because I am an RN. Work with cancer patients and drugs all day long. I have to be on my game. Just recently tried coconut oil, too stimulating. Cut the dose to 1/4 tsp in the am. Want the healing benefit. Think maybe I can wean up on dose. I am on 18.75 mg split dose right now. 4 days in at this dose. Started at 150 until started weaning last June. I really needed the support in this whole thing. Get little to none by any MD. I just ordered a tranquil sounds white noise machine that takes a headset. Coming soon. Also any thought on essential oils???? I do relaxation breathing and at times deep muscle relaxation. The breathing is daily. Try to Reduce cortisol any way I can. I read the raw honey and sea salt help with this. I am so glad for the support. Will try again tonight. Praying for healing. Have read quite a it about the pure virgin coconut oil and healing benefit to the brain. Am hoping. Thank you for your encouragement. I need it

Just to clarity. When I said weaning up I was referring to coconut oil. I am holding steady st 18.75 mg of bupropion. Also a huge congratulations to you JanCarol on successfully weaning. How did you do it and over how long????

Hello to all who have responded. Just wanted to give an update. Today is day 5 since I am at dose 18.75. I am doing ok. Better than last Thursday but would like to feel better than this. I know I need to park here and be patient. I need to sit here and wait it out. I am Only at day 5. I am looking back over what you have advised and will just stay!!!! I have been looking back at what brass monkey said about just sitting on this dose for a long time. Getting good and stable here. I am wondering what qualifies a long time??? I understand the great need to stabilize but am wondering when does one know when they should really be making a dose cut? From my recent experience I now have questions on timing. From all I have read the cuts should only be 10 percent off of the last cut but what I am trying to understand better is how often those cuts should occur in the future. Next question I have is when a cut is made even at the tiny reduction, will I expect to feel some d/ c symptoms??? I would agree at this point with you all, and to quote JanCarol, holding is a blessing. Looking for advise. Thanks.

I have another question. From the article on , How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain, if indeed all if this remodeling is taking place, why is it that some, a lot of people, can discontinue these drugs with what seems like minimal trouble???? Trying to understand.

Hi,  I have read the many articles that have been laid out for me. I believe I am understanding that holding now is CRITICAL.  I am Day 11 on the 18.75mg split dose of bupropion. I have read and read.  Now, I just want clarification please.  When Brassmonkey said, " Look at holding in terms of months,"  ? How many,  What is a telling point on this?  I also am again asking for clarification.  Looks like when tapering is resumed in the future, it should be at 5-10 percent cuts, off the LAST dose and then every 6 weeks or more depending on how one feels. Since my first contact, I am doing OK.  Yes, I am adjusting and I feel this daily right now.  Am better this week than when I reached out for support 12 days ago.  I can really see that my NEURO system needs some good time to recover from the bigger cuts I was making.  You know what is so frustrating to me about this, The cuts I was making were recommended by a psychiatrist in a book I have.  His cuts were actually much larger than the ones I was making.  I read Rhi's articles also.  I appreciate her, " The slowness of Slow tapers."  I am wondering for those of you that are slowly tapering, are the withdrawal symptoms managable??  I sure do not ever want to feel what I felt last week.  GOT MY ATTENTION BIG!!!!  Looking for feedback.  Thank you. 

Hi Triplem.      You seem to be doing a little better. How are your symptoms now ? I hope your sleep is settling down to a manageable level . That's always an asset to your recovery , if you can manage it.

When we talk about holding for a good while, that can be approximately 2-3 months. After a period of destabilization, like you have had , it can take months for those drops to catch up and then for your nervous system to settle down. 

After a period of time we recommend the 10% taper method, or some prefer to go even slower than that - Maybe 5% or less.

The main way to tell when you would start tapering again slowly , is when you are feeling stable again and some or all of your symptoms have reduced.

If you can follow your bodies' cues and wisdom, by observing your own symptoms, rather than following an exact schedule, that will be the key to doing this in a way that ensures success. Listening to your body, is preferable to following the calendar in a rigid manner. The calendar is a guide, only.

Many still get symptoms as they are tapering , but on the whole they should be minimal if you are slow and steady . Hopefully, you can get back to feeling whole and functional, whilst tapering. That is the whole idea.

This link gives a good explanation of the process ;

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4954-rhis-start-small-listen-to-your-body-taper-plan/

This will also help you understand a little more, also .

Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

If you can keep notes on your symptoms during this time, it will help you to see any patterns emerging.

Rate symptoms daily to track patterns and progress

I hope this helps.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thank you Ali. I was waiting for a response. Today was my best day yet since going up. It is day 11 since reinstatement. I will surely give this a couple of mos minimum. Really want my Neuro to heal. Thank you so much for replying!!!! Appreciate you!!!!

Hi Triplem.      You seem to be doing a little better. How are your symptoms now ? I hope your sleep is settling down to a manageable level . That's always an asset to your recovery , if you can manage it.

When we talk about holding for a good while, that can be approximately 2-3 months. After a period of destabilization, like you have had , it can take months for those drops to catch up and then for your nervous system to settle down. 

After a period of time we recommend the 10% taper method, or some prefer to go even slower than that - Maybe 5% or less.

The main way to tell when you would start tapering again slowly , is when you are feeling stable again and some or all of your symptoms have reduced.

If you can follow your bodies' cues and wisdom, by observing your own symptoms, rather than following an exact schedule, that will be the key to doing this in a way that ensures success. Listening to your body, is preferable to following the calendar in a rigid manner. The calendar is a guide, only.

Many still get symptoms as they are tapering , but on the whole they should be minimal if you are slow and steady . Hopefully, you can get back to feeling whole and functional, whilst tapering. That is the whole idea.

This link gives a good explanation of the process ;

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4954-rhis-start-small-listen-to-your-body-taper-plan/

This will also help you understand a little more, also .

Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

If you can keep notes on your symptoms during this time, it will help you to see any patterns emerging.

Rate symptoms daily to track patterns and progress

I hope this helps.

Ali

Symptoms are continued dizziness, low anxiety on and off, nausea on and off, sleep past two nights improved for first time since destabilizing. Tears or emotional on and off. Just not sharp clear in processing on and off. But as I said , better day today since all began. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am now at day 26 after reinstating to 18.75 mg. I can say that I am feeling some better but not where I want to be. What I am noticing now are again more of waves and Windows. I believe the waves are times of reconstruction and the windows are when my brain has it right for awhile. Maybe you all can confirm this. I think the Neuro emotions of fear and anxiety are the worst for me. The what ifs start in and so on. I am teaching and training myself to think about the waves as reconstruction. You know what, when I think about the effects of these very powerful drugs, I just feel sad!!! One thing I must try not to do is go back to when I got on. The regret is present. I know I cannot go back and must go from here. I just long so to be free and healed. I know it will take time and plenty of it. I am hoping to stay steady here for a minimum of three months and maybe longer. Just hoping that the longer I hold, the better I will feel as more healing should occur, correct???? More regrowing or reshaping of the brain can occur as Rhiannon has written. I appreciate all the supporting words of encouragement and am praying for us all. Would love to hear feedback. Thanks. Jamie.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello triplem15, 

You are experiencing normal emotions in response to a loss, really.  We've all been there, angry that we are in this situation and at the mercy of the meds, wanting to be off so badly but unable to get off faster due to the threat of withdrawal...But eventually we come to acceptance of what "is," and I think you are about there.  It will take as long as it takes.  

I do find it helpful to see waves as signs that our nervous system is healing.  Rather than get alarmed/anxious about symptoms, I think "Ah, there's that withdrawal symptom again - more evidence that I am healing!"  

Rhi has written some truly wonderful passages giving excellent analogies for healing!  It happens in fits and starts, windows and waves. I think that there are so many systems interconnected with the serotonin/norepinephrine systems that tweaking one by cutting the drug causes reverberations like this:

When the balls look chaotic, that's the wave, and when they form patterns that are look coordinated, that's windows, and eventually they settle down and that's when you're done healing :-)

SG