SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Briana: My mother: Cymbalta (60mgs), Zyprexa (5mgs) & Trazadone (100mgs)

Briana

Hello - I just joined this site as I need help for my mother.  She is 69 years old and starting having some fairly acute bouts of depression after she retired.  She had been taking a sleeping pill (I don't know the name) since the mid 80's and decided she wanted to stop taking them around age 66.  She stopped cold turkey.  I think this is when the depressive symptoms began (as a result of withdrawls) for which she started seeing a psychologist and psychiatrist.  After trial and error...lots of error...she has now been on Cymbalta (1 daily - 60mgs), Olylanzabine (zyprexa - 1 at bed - 5mgs) and Trazadone (100mgs at bed) for over a year now.  It seems as though they are all interacting poorly and creating even more problems.  She can barely function.  Its as if her brain doesn't remember how to even process a thought properly.  After doing my own research and getting my father on board, I'd like to get her off of as much of the medicine as possible and see if we can get her "well" without the meds.  We are starting with the Zyprexa.  After reading and learning about the horrific side effects of this drug, many of which she is experiencing, we have decided to taper her from this pill first. 

My father called her primary care physician and he said to half the Zyprexa for a month and we will continue lowering the dosage from there.  She is not psychotic or bipolar, so I'm unclear as to why this was prescribed to her in the first place.  After a week, she said she is already experiencing withdrawl symptoms.  However, I'm not sure if she is experiencing them because it was suggested to her that she could possibly have withdrawls, or if she actually is having withdrawls. 

I should mention, she is of the old school thinking that if a doctor prescribes you medication, you take it because it will make you feel better.  So, we have caught her taking multiple Trazadone at night because she thinks they help her sleep - the more the better, right?  She is afraid she won't be able to function without taking all of these meds that are making her worse than she ever was before. I think after showing her what I have learned, she is ready to start the detoxing process. 

My mother has always been a happy, healthy, outgoing person until this prescription pill nightmare began.

Any input, direction or help would be so helpful.

Thank you,

Briana

My mom's drug history:

- Temazepam - 100-120mgs since the early '90's - 2014 (withdrawal caused major depression and insomnia)

- Zoloft - don't know dosage, but after several months was switched to Cymbalta (60mgs) (admitted to the hospital for a week due to depression and anxiety "breakdown")

Current medications:

- Zyprexa (5mgs)  (2.5mgs April 13,2016-May 10, 2016) (3.75mgs May 11, 2016)
- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Briana. Welcome to the forum.

A moderator will be by to help you set up a proper taper for you mom, but in the meantime, I'm going to leave you with some helpful links.

It sounds like your mom may have been on a benzodiazepine (i.e. "sleeping pill"). That would not be uncommon and would explain her depression and memory problems. I was placed on benzos (and other drugs) at 17 and stayed on them for 30 years and the memory problems and depression were intense. But my symptoms are slowly getting better.

Please place all of your mom's meds in this medication checker and post the information here in your thread. If she's on other meds besides psychiatric drugs, please also list those.

Drug Interactions Checker -- use it to reduce your drug burden

Coming off an entire cocktail of drugs can be difficult, but this thread will help you understand how this process works:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

And these links will help you understand what all she's experiencing: 

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

I'm so glad you're an advocate for your mom. With a slow and careful taper, she'll be just fine but she will need lots of support and reassurance which you and your family will find here. 

Shep - THANK YOU!  I am going to get to work on these websites.  Its nice to know there are others out there who have gone through this and are better now for having stopped the pill cycle! 

My mom's drug history:

- Temazepam - 100-120mgs since the early '90's - 2014 (withdrawal caused major depression and insomnia)

- Zoloft - don't know dosage, but after several months was switched to Cymbalta (60mgs) (admitted to the hospital for a week due to depression and anxiety "breakdown")

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

My mom is also taking propranolol for an essential tremor.  Here is a link to the drug interactions:  http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1956-0,2228-0,949-2273,1744-1113

Looks like there is one "major" interaction between the trazodone and the Cymbalta.  The others are all considered "moderate".  All alarming to me. 

After reading this interactions list and the link above describing what to taper first, I'm confused.  Brakes, accelerators, and now the addition of seeing that the propranolol is not so great, I don't know if initially reducing the Zyprexa is ideal.

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Briana, welcome to SA.  I agree that mom would have gone into withdrawal after quitting sleeping pills cold turkey after so many years. We usually recommend tapering the anti depressant first and as trazodone is implicated in the interactions checker I would suggest tapering that one first. Don't start the taper while she is suffering withdrawal from the zyprexa cut, she needs to be as stable as possible, I suggest going back up to 5mg and waiting a month before starting to taper. She will be suffering withdrawal after cutting the dose in half, it is too big a cut. We recommend cutting no more than 10% of the CURRENT dose with at least 4 weeks between cuts. This gives the brain time to adjust to the lower dose. As time goes by the cuts will get smaller as the dose lowers. Often people find they need to slow down at the very low doses. 

Waiting to stabilise, when she feels the same as before the zyprexa cut, will mean the taper is more likely to be successful. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2883-tips-for-tapering-off-trazodone/

At your mom's age I would suggest cutting by 5% to start and see how she gets on. If she is ok with that you may be able to make the cuts bigger but don't go above 10%.  I started to taper my drugs at 61, and feeling much better. The side effects are dose related and get better as the dose lowers. Sometimes the improvement is so gradual that the person tapering doesn't notice a difference but those close to them can see it! 

I hope she agrees to taper, you need her on board for this to work. It will make so much difference to her, I am driving again at 65!! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I would just add that I stopped Zyprexa before an antidepressant a bit similar to Cymbalta and it was quite destabilizing (but I did live to tell the story). You might want to consider Zyprexa the last drug to go off. I too cut 50% once and it did not go well. Good luck to your whole family!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thank you mammaP and meimeiquest!

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Shep - THANK YOU!  I am going to get to work on these websites.  Its nice to know there are others out there who have gone through this and are better now for having stopped the pill cycle! 

You're welcome. Yes, lots of people do come off these drugs safely. 

I'll just add that even though it's best to reduce the most activating drug first, if your mom gets overly sedated, you may need to re-evaluate that due to the risk of falling. So please take very careful notes of how she's doing with any drug change. 

Like MammaP said, she does need to be on board. She's lucky to have someone researching this for her, and if you can get her input on setting up the tapers and writing down how she feels, that would be best. I know the cognitive problems can be severe, but if she's able to guide the speed of the tapers herself, this will give the best outcome.  

I would just add that I stopped Zyprexa before an antidepressant a bit similar to Cymbalta and it was quite destabilizing (but I did live to tell the story). You might want to consider Zyprexa the last drug to go off. I too cut 50% once and it did not go well. Good luck to your whole family!

Meimeiquest - my mom wants to continue on the 50% Zyprexa cut since we are almost 2 weeks into it and doesn't want to go back up to the 5mgs before starting to taper the antidepressant.  We will stabilize her at the 2.5mgs of Zyprexa (for a month??) since I didn't learn about the order of tapering prior to joining this incredible forum.  Once she is stabilized at 2.5mgs of Zyprexa, at the recommendation of mammaP, we will start tapering the trazodone, which seems to be the major drug interactor.  Just curious as to your thoughts as being a survivor of Zyprexa, do you think this is a good plan? 

She is definitely feeling very depressed and shaky and finding it difficult to fall asleep.  Were those some of your withdrawal symptoms as well? What are things I need to keep an eye on in this particular phase of tapering, since it was such a big one?  Like I said, she's this far into it and determined to stay at the 2.5mgs.  Any of your thoughts would be so helpful!

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Briana, if mom wants to stay at 2,5 then that is what she should do, she has to have some control.  You said mum was feeling withdrawal after the cut, is the shakiness, insomnia and depression worse since the cut?  Can you write down each day how she is and note any new or worsening symptoms, along with any improvements and the times of the doses. Sometimes a pattern emerges that is only obvious looking back on the notes.  Insomnia is awful, it was a major symptom for me in withdrawal from effexor and I hope that she can manage to sleep soon. 

It will help if you can put her history in the signature strip, you can find instructions how to do that here..

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/ 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

The insomnia is huge with Zyprexa. As MammaP says, she will need to be in charge of determining what she can take. I would just recommend d she not make any additional cuts until she feels better. It may be important to get her off the Cymbalta, or at least part of it, before she drops anything else...it can be so over-activating. I think you just wait for this cut to settle and it will be more clear what needs to happen next. I don't have any Trazadone experience, I just know it can be quite tricky.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Hi Briana, if mom wants to stay at 2,5 then that is what she should do, she has to have some control.  You said mum was feeling withdrawal after the cut, is the shakiness, insomnia and depression worse since the cut?  Can you write down each day how she is and note any new or worsening symptoms, along with any improvements and the times of the doses. Sometimes a pattern emerges that is only obvious looking back on the notes.  Insomnia is awful, it was a major symptom for me in withdrawal from effexor and I hope that she can manage to sleep soon. 

It will help if you can put her history in the signature strip, you can find instructions how to do that here..

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I updated my signature to show as much as I can (and know) about her drug history. She couldn't remember her exact dosage of Temazepam or precisely when she started, but we estimated as best we could. As of the past 3 days the insomnia has hit her pretty hard (we did the 50% cut on 4/13/16). She has been more shaky, but she said she isn't sure if it's from the withdrawal or her essential tremor (for which she takes the propranolol). She takes the Zyprexa and trazodone at the same time at bedtime, per her psychiatrist). The propranolol and Cymbalta she takes in the morning.

Nothing else to really report. She wants to keep pushing through - for which I am so proud of her. We are going to see a new psychologist tomorrow morning who is more focused on somatic therapy rather than just talking. Fingers crossed...

Thank you so much for your help and feedback - I appreciate you!!

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the update Briana, mum has worsened since the 50% cut to zyprexa and it is almost certainly withdrawal.  You can't force her to go back up slightly but I would if I were in her shoes.  If 2.5 is half a tablet, then 3/4 could see some relief and still be a start to her taper.  We all want to be off all our drugs and feel better but many of us here have made ourselves worse by going too fast. Sadly doctors know very little about the drugs they prescribe, they are taught by the drug companies who don't care about people coming off them, they want everyone to stay on them!   I have suffered withdrawal insomnia and it is terrible! 

We have some great topics on sleep and sleep hygiene in the symptoms and self care forum, maybe she could try some of those if she is averse to updosing. 

If you scroll down the page there are links to sleep topics. The most important is sleep hygiene and routine. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

2002  effexor. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update...things are worse. The worst they have been. Mom is very depressed and anxious. She is also having repetitive/intrusive thoughts. I keep telling her to do some mindfulness practice, meditation and some yoga, but she is struggling to even really get out of bed. She feels like she has brain damage and has completely lost her personality. Is this the withdrawal? How do things 'settle down'? How long does this last? How will we know when she is ready to do another cut? Perhaps the Cymbalta next...not the Zyprexa. I feel so badly for her. She even said she doesn't think she'll be able to live without the meds. Struggling over here...

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Briana. I'm sorry your mom is getting worse. What exact changes did you make in the medication since your last update? MammaP had mentioned doing a slight updose on the Zyprexa to help get her stabilized. Is that anything you think might help? 

Yes, the repetitive/instrusive thoughts and the struggle just to get out of bed are very common during withdrawal. Also, the loss of personality is something most of us go through. 

She may simply be too sick for doing a structured type of mindfulness practice. I still can't do anything structured, but I do like having the videos playing, as they are very calming and soothing to the CNS. Any type of gentle music may also help. This is a "chemical" type of anxiety and depression which is caused by damage to the CNS. As much as you can help her nurture and calm her CNS the better. I'm sure she's having trouble articulating what she's going through because it's hard to find the words. She's very lucky to have you supporting her. 

Here are some non-drug resources that may be helpful. 

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

Please let us know where she stands with her medications since your last update or if everything is the same. Also include supplements, as these can also have an affect. 

Hi, Briana. I'm sorry your mom is getting worse. What exact changes did you make in the medication since your last update? MammaP had mentioned doing a slight updose on the Zyprexa to help get her stabilized. Is that anything you think might help? 

Yes, the repetitive/instrusive thoughts and the struggle just to get out of bed are very common during withdrawal. Also, the loss of personality is something most of us go through. 

She may simply be too sick for doing a structured type of mindfulness practice. I still can't do anything structured, but I do like having the videos playing, as they are very calming and soothing to the CNS. Any type of gentle music may also help. This is a "chemical" type of anxiety and depression which is caused by damage to the CNS. As much as you can help her nurture and calm her CNS the better. I'm sure she's having trouble articulating what she's going through because it's hard to find the words. She's very lucky to have you supporting her. 

Here are some non-drug resources that may be helpful. 

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

Please let us know where she stands with her medications since your last update or if everything is the same. Also include supplements, as these can also have an affect. 

Hi Shep,

Thank you so much for the reassurance that this is what is to be expected.  She is still on the 2.5mgs of the Zyprexa and feels she has gotten through a month of this so far and wants to keep pushing through.  I suggested increasing a quarter, but she wants to stay where she is now. 

Yes, the cognitive issues, thought and emotion processing and communication are difficult for her. You are right, it is very hard to do the mindful practice. I read about Epsom salt baths and have been encouraging her to take them 3x per week.  Also learned a bit about taking magnesium and some probiotics.  Do you think any of those could be helpful?  How can I convince her that what she is feeling is due to the meds and not some sort of made up mental illness?  I don't want her going back to a doc who will tell her that and prescribe her more of these toxins...so hard to watch.  I appreciate you more than  you know just for talking me through this.  I am so happy I found this forum and a community of people battling the same things. 

<3<3

Briana

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Briana, I am sorry that mum is feeling so bad, I just wish that doctor hadn't told her to cut 50%, it is far too big a cut and this is withdrawal. If she would consider a slight increase it might help but if she is determined to stick it out there is little you can do. She will stabilise eventually but there is no way of knowing how long it will take. When she is feeling stable,  we can work out the best one to taper first.  

Maybe you could show her, or read some of this to her....... 

What is withdrawal syndrome? http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

And Dr Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal checklist and charts. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

2002  effexor. 

Hi Briana, I am sorry that mum is feeling so bad, I just wish that doctor hadn't told her to cut 50%, it is far too big a cut and this is withdrawal. If she would consider a slight increase it might help but if she is determined to stick it out there is little you can do. She will stabilise eventually but there is no way of knowing how long it will take. When she is feeling stable,  we can work out the best one to taper first.  

Maybe you could show her, or read some of this to her....... 

What is withdrawal syndrome? http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

And Dr Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal checklist and charts. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

Hi mamaP,

She is one tough cookie, let me tell you.  I wish she was more tech-savvy so she could get on here and communicate with you.  I know it would help rather than me being the go-between.  I will absolutely show her all of this.  I will again push for her to go back up a quarter from the 2.5mgs.  Will she just have to go through all of this again when we go back up and come back down?  I think that is what she fears. 

You're amazing.  Hope you're feeling well.

Briana

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

If updosing helps her and she stabilises she will feel much better, then would taper by no more than 10%  of the current dose of whichever drug she is tapering. 

This should minimise any withdrawal symptoms. She is feeling so bad because of the huge drop of 50%, causing withdrawal on top of all the side effects. 

It will take a long long time to taper off them all but hopefully will feel better and better as the doses get lower. That is how it went for me, I felt better with each drop as the side effects lessened in intensity.  

2002  effexor. 

I did a 50% drop once. I thought I recovered in about four months, but doc didn't thnk I had completely and had me go back up...back when I followed doctor orders :). But expect it to take some time , especially with 2 ADs as "accelerators" on board.

56 years old

Meimeiquest, wow...4 months?! Well, as of Weds she will be one month down...3 to go! Yikes. Maybe I won't share that with her ???? But you got through it! How are you doing now? Any residual effects from the Zyprexa that you can pin point?

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

Meimeiquest, wow...4 months?! Well, as of Weds she will be one month down...3 to go! Yikes. Maybe I won't share that with her But you got through it! How are you doing now? Any residual effects from the Zyprexa that you can pin point?

None. I am learning more and more about layers of stuff that ARE wrong with me, and I doubt I will ever have the stress resilience I would have had if I never took a psychiatric drug, I'm still not completely over the benzo, but the Zyprexa is ancient history. I do worry about taking the Zyprexa away first...if she's willing, making part of an AD the next project might be something to consider.

This is so unstudied, but the risk of dropping too fast is in getting your brain, hypothalamus, overly sensitized to changes in the chemical mileu of the brain. I am definitely in that situation. But I'm OK...recently started a new job with a stressful, steep learning curve, busy family. I do a lot of compensating, I have chronic fatigue (reason Prozac was restarted leading to the whole drugging adventure) but I don't have any mood problems.

56 years old

Interesting. I think her problems were all initially started by the temazepam she took for 20+ years - that was what started all of her drugging.

I was just on the phone with her for 45 minutes while she cried, yelled, got angry, and eventually calmed down. I asked yet again if she wanted to go back up a quarter of a tablet - she again said no. She doesn't believe what she is experiencing is withdrawal but that she is making it happen to herself.

And, yes, I agree. I think after she stabilizes after this cut of zyprexa it would be best to start tackling the Cymbalta or trazodone. However, it seems that it will be a while before she calms down from this one. Just trying to live her through it.

Writing is helpful. I appreciate you. So happy to hear your life is improving. It's pushing me to continue to keep pushing my mom. She wants to go back to work so badly - your story will hopefully inspire her.

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

After a VERY rough few days, mom went back up to 3.75mgs of Zyprexa (...yay!...I think?!).  She literally shakes all of the time, cognitive ability is extremely diminished, extreme anxiety and depression (I read a few of the forums about neuro-emotions, and believe this to be the case with her too) and as of Monday she started having these feelings of electric shocks in her body, headaches, tingly hands and feet.  She also says that the anxiety is worse when she wakes up and stresses about her day...which I think has something to do with cortisol levels being all out of whack.  Trying some of the suggestions like sleep masks and blacked out bedroom.

Just thought I'd let you know...hopefully she will get a little relief and we learned our lesson about listening to doctors.  Teeny tiny tapers from here on out!!!

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for telling us, I hope it helps her. It takes 4 days to get into the bloodstream properly and hopefully will make a difference to her.

2002  effexor. 

• 2 months later...

It's been a while, nothing but bad news I'm afraid. My mom was down to half of her Zyprexa dosage and leveling out...starting to see some flicker of my mom and a sense of normalcy resume. We were so very happy! She was seeing a therapist who recommended a new psych doc to her who has helped people taper off drugs and, after research of my own, found him to have good reviews.

I was unable to make it to her two appts with him over the span of a month, and somehow my mom is now completely off of Zyprexa....only to be replaced by Seroquel, Wellbutrin and a sleeping pill I don't know the name of. I don't yet know dosages. MAJOR withdrawals and lack of ability to function...she is contemplating going back into the hospital. I'm so angry with her, with the doc, my father....

What do I do now?? Help...

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Briana, that's got to be a difficult situation to see your mom in.  Unfortunately the only thing you can do is make sure that she and your dad are informed about the drugs, the adverse effects, and what's involved if/when she wants to discontinue the current combination.

Your mom may be reluctant or see herself as unable to question the doctor, let alone challenge any diagnoses or prescriptions. Does she want to be off psych drugs?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Briana, that's got to be a difficult situation to see your mom in.  Unfortunately the only thing you can do is make sure that she and your dad are informed about the drugs, the adverse effects, and what's involved if/when she wants to discontinue the current combination.

Your mom may be reluctant or see herself as unable to question the doctor, let alone challenge any diagnoses or prescriptions. Does she want to be off psych drugs?

Scallywag...thank you for chiming in. Ultimately she does want to be off the drugs....but she's not thinking clearly. She is so desperate to feel better, she placed three calls into her new doc who ended up prescribing the Seroquel the other day. However, my dad took it away, so she won't be taking it. She's kinda sneaky like that...if she doesn't get the instant gratification, she calls the doc even though they'll do nothing but pump her with more. It's a vicious cycle.

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Briana, thanks for replying.  As you may know tapering off drugs can involve uncomfortable and sometimes distressing symptoms.  Sometimes, people are very fortunate and a slow 10% or less taper produces few or no symptoms. That has been my experience so far. Others must deal with a great deal of drug-withdrawal induced discomfort, suffering and even pain.

Anyone tapering needs to be able to hold on to his or her desire to be off the drugs and to tolerate this discomfort. Maybe your mom needs to read about withdrawal from psych pharmaceuticals and the symptoms, which are often the same as the adverse "side" effects. Understanding that symptoms occur but they can be reduced by going slower helps many.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

The doc took her off zyprexa about 4-5 weeks ago. She had stabilized at 3.75 mgs prior to hi cutting her to 2.5 then 1.25 and completely off in three weeks. Do you think it would be beneficial at this point to reinstate back to maybe 2.5 mgs of zyprexa to give her some relief from the withdrawals? Or has too much time passed since she last took it?

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

On what date did she take her last Zyprexa dose?

scallywag's Introduction

I don't know the exact date but it was between June 15 and June 22.

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Briana, we're going to need to know her new doses - the Seroquel, the Wellbutrin.

What was removed and when?  What was added and when?

Unfortunately, what was going to be a complex knot to unravel just became more complicated.  Seroquel hits on different receptors to Zyprexa, so she can be acclimated to the Seroquel and still in withdrawal from the Zyprexa, too.

Additionally, if she is taking Wellbutrin in addition to Trazadone and Cymbalta - well - you should run those drug interactions again.

Mods are looking at your story, to find the best solution.

Sometimes it's hard to stand up to doctors.  It really requires a huge shift to understand that while the doctor means well, they don't always "know best."  Not anymore.  They're trained to hand this stuff out, and as you can see - it's only led your Mom into a very complicated maze that will take time and patience to solve.

Please update your signature with her new doses, when they were started, and what was discontinued and when.  I'm sorry she (and you, too!) is suffering so much.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

JanCarol - thank you for your feedback. It has become more complicated indeed. The last day she took zyprexa was 6/22. She started 75 mg of Wellbutrin on 6/30. The doc prescribed 35 mgs of Seroquel as a sleep aid; full dosage is four 35 mg pills. She has only taken it three times - 7/17 one at bedtime, 7/18 two at bedtime, 7/19 none, 7/20 three at bedtime.

She is so bad right now that we are considering going back to the hospital. More docs, more drugs, but stability and quality of life for a 70 year old woman. It's difficult to figure out if a semi-stable life on meds is better or going through what she is dealing with for possibly years to come is better. I am lost and don't know the answer.

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

Also, has anyone had any experience with Alternative to Meds in Sedona AZ? It's a psychiatric drug withdrawal hospital that helps people get off these meds safely. Would love to know thoughts on this...

My mom's drug history:

Current medications:

- Cymbalta (90mgs)
- Trazodone (100mgs)
- propranolol (20mgs)

Interesting site i did a google and had a look around and this is what i found....

https://www.alternativetomeds.com/antidepressant-withdrawal/

Antidepressant withdrawal responds extremely well to our methods, and can usually be accomplished within our 8 week program. If the medication is still somewhat effective for the individual and it is the withdrawal process which is problematic, targeted nutritional treatment will have a significantly positive effect in most situations. If the individual is no longer responding well to the medication, it is probable that neurochemical bankruptcy and toxic impairment is occurring, which is repairable in most cases.

[i do not believe that 'nutritional treatment' will help significantly with withdrawal and wonder how the impairment is repaired]

Alternative to Meds Center determines the medical reasons why a person might be depressed, anxious or unable to sleep. Our program uses lab testing, stabilizes the neurochemistry through use of natural substances like orthomolecular medicine, employs detoxification for accumulated environmental neurotoxins, provides personalized antidepressant withdrawal help, amino acid and other targeted nutritional therapies, peer support, yoga, massage therapies, personal exercise training, counseling, life coaching, and holistic therapies to combat depression, anxiety and insomnia.

The lab testing we do helps us understand the underlying causes of depression or other symptoms. This way we can provide customized diet and nutrition as well as offer individual and group counseling. Medical professionals design and oversee personalized treatment protocols for each resident based on their unique biochemistry, medical assessment, and lab test results.

I am sure they mean well but  ... 8 weeks to be drug free is ....crazy!

Question: How can lab testing inform of d and symptoms? What are they looking at ?

Well i suppose you could contact them and request their opinion on how they would taper you off. It certainly wont be according to sa recommendations.

Go to this google link and look at the study first on the page by J Prousky.

'Tapering off of psychotropic drugs: Using patient cases to understand reasons for success and failure'

This man asserted orthomolecular diet helps get off ads but from what i can see it had no effect at all in fact one of his zoloft patients ended up in hospital.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Tapering+off+of+psychotropic+drugs%3A+Using+patient+cases+to+understand+reasons+for+success+and+failure&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=HKmRV7jNDqzu8wfxrYyoBA

Sorry to tell you this but the best way to get off these drugs is to follow the advice on sa. There are no shortcuts.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017