Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phoenix76

Support Group: Colchester, Essex (UK)

6 posts in this topic

I have set up an informal support group in Colchester, Essex (UK) for people with anxiety and depression. There are 3 of us, 1 man and 2 women all in our 30s. We have all struggled with antidepressants at some point and one us still takes them. I am also supporting my mother through a nasty withdrawal from prozac.

We meet in colchester most Saturday mornings for a coffee and a chat if anyone is interested? 

Wish I lived in Colchester...

Wish I lived in Colchester...

I wish you did as well  karen lol - no replies so far!!

Hi all, I'm new to the forums here but, like many of you, I am struggling to withdraw from my medication (in my case Mirtazapine). I feel so strongly about this that I believe that the Pharmaceutical companies should assist users who want to stop or reduce their medications.

I have created a petition at Change.org and I would be really grateful if you would visit the petition, sign it and make your friends, families and/or co-workers aware of it too. The more we get this issue recognised and discussed, the greater the chance that we can get the help we need.

The petition has so far had the support of a few charities including Mind and also by Dr. Ben Goldacre.

Thanks and my best wishes to anyone struggling with anti-depressant withdrawal.

James

https://www.change.org/p/secretary-of-state-for-health-jeremy-hunt-make-pharmaceutical-firms-help-users-who-want-to-stop-taking-anxiety-depression-drugs

This came into sa this morning ...please consider sending them your story.

I'm a British BBC TV reporter and I want to make a film about the problems of withdrawing from antidepressants. I'm keen to hear from people who've struggled with SSRIs, particularly if you like in the UK. Also what you think about the lack of support groups, or if you HAVE a support group, how do you help?

Please email me your stories, confidentially at first, of course, although ultimately I'm looking for people who will be willing to stand up and speak about what's happened to them.  I think few people know or report this sort of problem and I know many of you are really really struggling for help.  My BBC2 programme wants to expose all this, so please get in touch.

Lesley.ashmall@bbc.co.uk

Thank you very much.  This forum has been recommended to me by several long-term members, so forgive my intrusion.

nz11

Just posted in "In the Media"

A major national newspaper is looking for people living in the UK willing to share recent stories of negative effects while trying to withdraw from benzodiazepines, antidepressants and / or opioid painkillers.
The newspaper is particularly looking for recent stories from those who experienced one or more of the following:
- You were prescribed the drugs for longer than you should have been
- You tried repeatedly to withdraw without support
- Your doctor was unable or unwilling to help with withdrawal
- You were told to go cold turkey by your doctor
- You eventually managed to withdraw but only with support from a charity or online forum or Facebook
- You were sent to traditional drug and alcohol services but discovered these were inappropriate
- You were told that your symptoms were due to a disorder and not the drug withdrawal

The newspaper is also looking for stories from family members / partners who provided support during withdrawal, as well as from bereaved families where patients were driven to suicide because of intolerable symptoms.
Ideally, you would be willing to be named and photographed for the paper. Interviews will be handled sensitively and will be conducted by journalists who have experience in this area.
If you are interested, please send a short version of your story as well as contact details to admin@cepuk.org and we will forward to the newspaper.
The All Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence and the Council for Evidence-based Psychiatry are keen to support this initiative as part of our effort to lobby for appropriate withdrawal services, including a national helpline. Your help is needed! Please share!